Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2007 :  00:13:37  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Actually, PDK, I had always thought that Ed (who has been known in the hot height of summer to wear only boots and a headband whilst chopping wood) just invented that scene to show how unconcerned Storm was about her body ("comfortable in her skin" after so many hundreds of years), but he recently told me that it was based on a real neighbour.
She's quite old now, but I strolled along the creek from Ed's woodlot, and yes, she does indeed chop wood wearing only boots and a smile. She waved to me cheerfully, causing a lot of Canada Geese to fly up.
Yes, we Canadian lasses are tough...
love,
THO

Heh, that's interesting to know. For my part, I figured that Storm stripped down like that simply for comfort.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2007 :  14:02:02  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Well, physical activity does do a lot for keeping the body warm. Last night the temperature at work (I deliver morning newspapers) was 10 below freezing, and I still did most of it in t-shirt and not particularly thick tracksuit pants (and a cap, it's all about wearing the right cap and shoes).

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2007 :  17:10:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
And some people are more comfortable in cooler weather than others... Last year, I was playing in the snow with my niece and nephew. I was wearing regular clothes, and a flannel shirt over my t-shirt -- and I was quite comfortable.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2007 :  18:33:28  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Well met, all! I hope one and all have a happy Yule. May your Sun be reborn and may you not face Fimbulwinter!

Now, a question for Ed: is it likely that Chauntea and/or Silvanus would grant druidical spells and powers to someone who was of Neutral alignment but had a different patron (e.g. Oghma, who is also Neutral)?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2007 :  18:34:22  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And I agree, Rino; I'm sure this vigorous elderly lady has always done her woodchopping in the nude for comfort (most felling, bucking, and splitting being done in warm months, with splitting in winter being done as warming exercise for NEXT year's woodpile unless one is desperate [out of wood]).
Not that I recommend anyone handle an axe bare-shinned, and NEVER never never a chainsaw (if the chain breaks and snaps back, it can be a bone-deep slice for bare flesh . . . or just torn clothing if wearing the proper gear).
Ed chuckled when we talked about this, and pointed out that he's gone spelunking and mountain climbing (in his younger, more spry days) and encountered, at various times, fellow cavers or climbers of both genders wearing little more than boots, sunglasses, and smiles (sometimes a wristwatch, and usually lots of belts, knapsack straps, etc.).
I don't, however, recommend wearing any sort of armor when otherwise nude. Armor goes over leather padding for a REASON.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 22 Dec 2007 03:34:34
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2007 :  19:46:00  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Well met, again.

Having seen the news story about what those wild and crazy Korean geneticists have done to kittens (they glow in the dark now), I wonder, Ed: who are the leading "scientific" cross-breeders of creatures on Toril? I don't mean those who transplant monster bits on to humans to "improve" them, but those who cross the boundaries of clades.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2007 :  19:52:28  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Are aboleths still NDA? I and several others had a lot of questions about them and their history, but the shroud of NDA was draped over the answers. If Ed may write of them now, I'd appreciate some information regarding their history on Toril, and whether aboleth bits may be grafted on humans in Toril (a la the Fleshwarper prestige class).

Apropos of NDAs, biologists are kvelling about a "lost world" they've found in Papua New Guinea, which stars, among other creatures, an enormous rat. If an NDA doesn't enshroud it completely, will Ed give us some hints about the flora and fauna of "the other continent" which -- so they say -- may finally be written up soon?

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2007 :  21:15:18  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all.
Jamallo Kreen, Ed has just replied to me (lightning-swift) that BOTH of your inquiries are NDA, with "bright, shiny, currently in use NDAs, no less!"
So, read into that what you will.
I'm connecting the dots and coming up with a 4e insight, but perhaps I'm connecting them too well. [}:)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2007 :  22:11:57  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Having seen the news story about what those wild and crazy Korean geneticists have done to kittens (they glow in the dark now), I wonder, Ed: who are the leading "scientific" cross-breeders of creatures on Toril? I don't mean those who transplant monster bits on to humans to "improve" them, but those who cross the boundaries of clades.

I believe there is at least one mention of this in the 2nd Ed supplement Skullport, a company that specializes in making monsters to order if I recall correctly... I'd look it up and give you the page reference, but my copy appears to have gone walkabout during the move... I'm sure it's still in a box somewhere. *sigh*

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.

Edited by - Zandilar on 19 Dec 2007 22:13:11
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2007 :  23:39:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
There's also the magical crossbreeds done by Duhlark Kolat. They were first described in the 2E City of Splendors boxed set, and then had an unofficial update in Volume 1 of the Realms Bestiary by Eric L. Boyd and Thomas M. Costa. I also used a particular magical crossbreed (housecat-sized griffons) in one of my Hooks for the 6th volume of the Candlekeep Compendium; this hook expanded on the info given in the two named sources, and Steven Schend gave me some more info and helped me fine-tune the Hook.

When I can figure out how to work them in, I'm going to have to revisit those critters in another Hook. Not only do I really like them, but I finally came up with a name for them that sounds better than "grifflings", which was never intended to be a final name.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 19 Dec 2007 23:39:50
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2007 :  23:56:19  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Ed I'm curious to know just how long is too long before regenerative spells fail to work, say if a person had his tongue cut out 8 years ago would a cleric be able to restore after so many years?

If such a wound was inflicted by a deity or avatar of deity (say to punish a transgessor) would the being attempting to heal it be aware that there is some "big juju" negating his healing attempt or just simply thinks he's unable to heal the injury?
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2007 :  01:12:11  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello again,

A creature affected by a dying curse invoked in the name of Ol' One Eye affects the victims form or spirit? I have a half-orc PC who slew an orc shsman but the shaman invoked a dying curse upon him in the name of Grummsh causing the PC to be unable to see anyone of orc-blood. If the PC should die and is returned to life within his "bornform" is the curse still active or has his death negated it?

Can you provide any details on such afflictions like curses?
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2007 :  04:35:22  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message
Time for yet still another question for Ed's pile.

What kind of info can Ed provide on Laspeera's House of Grace (I think I remember it correctly) How old are the students? How does one come to be there? Is it just nobility, or can merchant's children also get there?

Thanks

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2007 :  16:12:11  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Mkhaiwati. Your question has gone on to Ed (who is probably busily wrapping Christmas presents right now, or perhaps taking a break to prepare brunch), but in the meantime, here's what I can quote from what I have of Ed's notes:

The House of Grace is located in a fine old house in Suzail just west of the northward-curving western end of the Promenade (the neighbourhood known in the city as "Sunset"). Laspeera has a floor there in which she can live when not elsewhere (she usually sleeps, dines, and lives in the Palace), and has been known to "hide" distressed youngfolk or adventurers or upset War Wizards therein for some days. The school uses two other floors of the house, at its rear, and the ground (street) level is used for a shop (that rents the premises from Laspeera) that sells gloves, hats, and lacework to "ladies of wealth and high tastes" (i.e. nobility and wealthy, socially-climbing merchant stock).
Anyone who can pay the quite reasonable rates (1 sp/day of classes; length of "working" day and instruction therein determined by the paying participant, one meal and endless drinkables [usually flavoured teas] provided) is admitted to the House, though most clients are young, female, and nobility or wealthy "wannabe" nobility (or at least, want to be seen to be "as good as" nobles in etiquette and deportment, and therefore welcome not just at their revels, but on their arms in dancing, or as suitable mistresses/future partners.
There is a small but steady stream of clientele who are crossdressers, spies or other shady sorts desiring to "blend in" with high society in Suzail (sometimes, it is correctly rumored, even male bodyguards being magically disguised as females), prostitutes desiring to learn the manners and deportment of high-class sorts so as to subsequently attract "better" clients, and so on.

So saith Ed. As you can see, clients can range in age from about eight (from Realmsplay, I remember bratty kids being sent there for "schooling" [= correction]) to about forty. I'll look around for more lore; I seem to remember some play notes, including the name of the shop on the street level.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 22 Dec 2007 03:20:44
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2007 :  18:25:21  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
THO,

I remember reading that Ed required you and other bard players to pen your own ballads. Can you share any of them with us?
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2007 :  18:58:18  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
Gentle Lady THO, I don't have a question this time around, but come here instead to say that I hope you have a very Merry Christmas, and please send along the same to Mr. Greenwood as well.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document

Edited by - Penknight on 20 Dec 2007 21:47:52
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2007 :  19:15:25  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
*Wince*
AlorinDawn, EVENTUALLY I will. When I find those notes and feel, well, frisky enough. Some of us (both players and Ed) are blessed with good singing voices and/or a talent for playing instruments or composing music. Others are . . . well, we can manage. Most of my few efforts at songs utlized known old English folksong tunes (many of which were "adopted" by various Christian churches and are now thought of as "church" music or carols) and lyrics that "fit" those tunes but parodied popular songs, said parodies not being very funny or insightful or even in some cases understandable to the ears of those who didn't play in our campaign. Hence my reluctance . . .
However, I'll begin searching. Promise.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2007 :  19:50:59  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:

Apropos of NDAs, biologists are kvelling about a "lost world" they've found in Papua New Guinea, which stars, among other creatures, an enormous rat. If an NDA doesn't enshroud it completely, will Ed give us some hints about the flora and fauna of "the other continent" which -- so they say -- may finally be written up soon?

Those animals are super cute.

Not sure how I feel yet about the glow-in-the-dark kittens though. :-/

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2007 :  20:38:23  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
quote:

*Wince*
AlorinDawn, EVENTUALLY I will. When I find those notes and feel, well, frisky enough. Some of us (both players and Ed) are blessed with good singing voices and/or a talent for playing instruments or composing music. Others are . . . well, we can manage. Most of my few efforts at songs utlized known old English folksong tunes (many of which were "adopted" by various Christian churches and are now thought of as "church" music or carols) and lyrics that "fit" those tunes but parodied popular songs, said parodies not being very funny or insightful or even in some cases understandable to the ears of those who didn't play in our campaign. Hence my reluctance . . .
love,
THO

Wince you say... lol not proud of your bardic work perhaps?

I ask out of curiosity and insight, as I've started to do the same thing with my gnomish bard. I'm not very muscially talented and am finding that I am just reusing tunes I know and rewording the songs for familiarity and penning historical tellings with no special tunes being played in the background. I picture my gnome to have a less gritty, slightly less twangy version of WIllie Nelson's voice.

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 20 Dec 2007 20:40:10
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2007 :  20:46:07  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

Those animals are super cute.

Not sure how I feel yet about the glow-in-the-dark kittens though. :-/

Don't feel to bad RF, the article I read says they only "glow" under UV light. Under that light almost anything white could be said to glow.

I imagine Ed creating a hybrid or two in his gaming days

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 20 Dec 2007 20:46:30
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2007 :  22:22:51  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

On the topic of animals from Papua New Guniea...

Are there any marsupials anywhere in Faerun or Abeir-Toril?

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2007 :  22:58:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

Heya,

On the topic of animals from Papua New Guniea...

Are there any marsupials anywhere in Faerun or Abeir-Toril?

I always thought those talking wombat-like creatures in Ring of Winter "could" be classified as marsupials.

And I'd assume that, given the cultural basis of Osse, as Lady of Poison would seem to indicate, that a significant plethora of marsupials inhabit that particular land mass.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2007 :  22:59:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

*Wince*
love,
THO

My lady, I would LOVE to see this material! I'm trying to compose a piece for my lady love at the moment, and I'm having a little difficulty. I'll look forward to seeing what you and Ed can come up with.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2007 :  23:02:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn

Wince you say... lol not proud of your bardic work perhaps?

I ask out of curiosity and insight, as I've started to do the same thing with my gnomish bard. I'm not very muscially talented and am finding that I am just reusing tunes I know and rewording the songs for familiarity and penning historical tellings with no special tunes being played in the background. I picture my gnome to have a less gritty, slightly less twangy version of WIllie Nelson's voice.
Alorin, if you need any further assistance, though I'm sure Ed's notes will indeed prove sufficient, I'd like to offer my own somewhat-capable ability as a baroque/classical composer of slight repute.

Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2007 :  23:56:25  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message
Thanks, that is kinda the info I was looking for.

Have a good Christmas and tell Ed the same (and don't let him wrap himself into the presents like my dog tried to do.)

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2007 :  00:01:16  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Don't feel to bad RF, the article I read says they only "glow" under UV light. Under that light almost anything white could be said to glow.

Well, that does make me feel a bit better.

quote:
I imagine Ed creating a hybrid or two in his gaming days

Indeed, I wouldn't mind hearing more about cute, adorable animals from Faerun.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2007 :  23:59:56  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
Does El have any of children, Alive or passed, besides his daughter from the novel? I would think that with all the time he spent and does spend
with pretty lasses there would be a few more. Or is that something that he can control with his power?

I can't believe that there is not at least one Elf-minster cavorting in the woods somewhere!

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2007 :  00:11:10  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:

Does El have any of children, Alive or passed, besides his daughter from the novel?

Yes. We know Laspeera and Filfaeril are descended from Elminster, so he obviously has had other children besides Narnra.

As for other living children--don't know, but it's probable.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2007 :  00:12:38  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Does El have any of children, Alive or passed, besides his daughter from the novel?

Yes. We know Laspeera and Filfaeril are descended from Elminster, so he obviously has had other children besides Narnra.

TY, where did we learn those tidbits?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2007 :  00:49:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

TY, where did we learn those tidbits?

'Twas mentioned in Elminster's Daughter. And Ed's discussed El's children in previous replies here at Candlekeep.

Filfaeril and Laspeera aren't literally daughters of Elminster. As Ed said:-

"Narnra is a “direct” daughter of Elminster; Laspeera and Filfaeril were bending the truth a little to make her feel better when they spoke thus: they’re among Elminster’s many grand and great-grand, and great-great-grand (and so on) -children."

We also know Elminster has sons... some of which are still alive. Ed's only briefly mentioned them here in his replies.
quote:
I would think that with all the time he spent and does spend
with pretty lasses there would be a few more. Or is that something that he can control with his power?

I can't believe that there is not at least one Elf-minster cavorting in the woods somewhere!
Remember that Mystra has the final say on whether her Chosen can produce children.

From Ed:-

"Over his thousand-some years of lusty living, he’s sired quite a few offspring, though not nearly as many as he would have done if Mystra hadn’t been applying her silent “you’re one of my Chosen, and I don’t want you to father anyone just now, so here’s my birth control” powers so often."

And:-

"Let me just note that MYSTRA decides when or if any of her Chosen will “cause” children, and if any such offspring will have any aptitude for magic or become Chosen."

Edited by - The Sage on 22 Dec 2007 00:53:25
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000