Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  18:05:19  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

My pleasure.
And for all scribes: as Ed finishes up the last Knights of Myth Drannor book, he'd like to know all of your opinions:
are there things you want him to do more of, in its prose? Less of? Characters you think have been slighted? Events glossed over? Things he should really highlight? Scenes you'd like to see? Mistakes in pacing and/or presentation you don't want repeated? Level of sex? Amount of introspection? Amount of combat?

Maybe a collection of new short stories? Becasue Ed creates such fully realized characters and situations, I think each of his short stories would be more entertaining than most of the 500, 600-page behemoths out there !

Yes, and each of those short stories are even better if they are turned into 500, 600-page tomes of Ed-lore .
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2007 :  00:07:29  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message
Hello again Ed and THO.

I'm hoping this question doesn't hit an NDA, though one question that was in a similar area got shot down earlier in the year. But I'll ask anyway. See if we can learn anything. It's one that might be a little controversial too.

Firstly, do people in the Realms consider unborn children to have souls? Are there differences depending on region and faiths?

Secondly, if unborn children die somehow, do they get into the afterlife?
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4298 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2007 :  00:15:42  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

Hello again Ed and THO.

I'm hoping this question doesn't hit an NDA, though one question that was in a similar area got shot down earlier in the year. But I'll ask anyway. See if we can learn anything. It's one that might be a little controversial too.

Firstly, do people in the Realms consider unborn children to have souls? Are there differences depending on region and faiths?

Not sure if NDA applies, however you clearly tread close, if not beyound, Code of Conduct for Candlekeep for bringing religious views of the RW.

One simple answer is under 3.X all charaters are adults, there are no children. If this stands though all the splat books. There are no children except some NPCs.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Warrax
Learned Scribe

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2007 :  00:52:33  Show Profile  Visit Warrax's Homepage  Click to see Warrax's MSN Messenger address Send Warrax a Private Message
Charles Phipps stole my brain!

He said exactly what I was going to put down in response to the question about the third book in the series...

Damned mindtaker!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3338 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2007 :  01:12:53  Show Profile  Visit Dalor Darden's Homepage Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:

Hello again Ed and THO.

Not sure if NDA applies, however you clearly tread close, if not beyound, Code of Conduct for Candlekeep for bringing religious views of the RW.

One simple answer is under 3.X all charaters are adults, there are no children. If this stands though all the splat books. There are no children except some NPCs.

I don't see that it is beyond the code of Conduct...

Drizzt's mom used him when he was being born...not to mention some ol' drivel about Drow children even devouring each other in the womb or something???

From an evil DM standpoint it could be an important question if a PC's NPC wife is with child, abducted and promptly killed by some evil cult.

I think it is a good question...if a bit shaky simply because most folks do indeed try to steer away from mentioning children most often in their games.

Visit my Blog Page to find things for YOUR Forgotten Realms!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2007 :  01:14:00  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

It's a question specifically directed toward Ed. And we've allowed similarly-themed questions to be posed to him previously, so I really don't see any problem here.

Uzzy's question isn't the subject of a scroll, and hasn't been debated to the point where discussion about real-world religions has become a concern. It's still wholly Realms-related. So I'll allow it.

However, all scribes reading this, should remember this is a discussion scroll for Ed and his replies. Please don't clutter it with alternate posts on how you would individually tackle Uzzy's question. [I'm noting this through an EDIT due to Dalor's reply above]

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Oct 2007 01:16:54
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2007 :  01:18:46  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Hello again Ed and THO.

And Uzzy, I'm not entirely sure, since I don't remember specifically, but I think Ed's touched on this topic of subject before. While you're waiting for his reply, you might want to search through the compiled reply files.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1792 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2007 :  04:02:52  Show Profile  Click to see Purple Dragon Knight's MSN Messenger address Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:

My pleasure.
And for all scribes: as Ed finishes up the last Knights of Myth Drannor book, he'd like to know all of your opinions:
are there things you want him to do more of, in its prose? Less of? Characters you think have been slighted? Events glossed over? Things he should really highlight? Scenes you'd like to see? Mistakes in pacing and/or presentation you don't want repeated? Level of sex? Amount of introspection? Amount of combat?
(The book of course stays with the Knights, and follows immediately after SWORDS OF DRAGONFIRE. No, I can't be more specific about the plot.)
Don't worry, Ed has it all plotted out and largely written; he's looking for your feelings about it, folks, not to work out a story for him. :}
love,
THO

I just bought the first of the Knights trilogy yesterday (I know, I'm way behind on my Realms... but as I see it, being behind in your Realms these days is not such a bad thing ***spellplague-COUGH-spellplague!*** )

I don't know when Ed has to finish the last book, but if I get to the first one soon enough, I will make sure to give him my thoughts on the more or less sex part (and other things too, I mean... )

Without having read the first book, there's one thing I'd like to see, for some reason, in Ed's future Realms books: more priestly action. To capture the essence of a good-aligned priest, and describe the effect of his divine spellcasting, as well as what he feels at the moment... to portray him with his clergy/order/faithfuls... much to explore there. I've always felt priests took a backseat in Realms novels, especially in Cormyr, where people grow up righteous and good. I'm sorry, but although "blood" or "genes" might have something to do with the fact that Cormyreans are "just good folks", I refuse to accept that a strong monarchy backed up by a secret police can be the only reason why Cormyr always had that paladin feel to it... Where are the holy warriors?? Where are the gentle, timid priests who work with the people, but when pressed, explode in holy mace-whirling fury to smithe orc/goblin/zhentish scum off the face of the Forest Kingdom?

Addendum to last: And I'd like to see more raise dead / resurrection action happening in novels. I know: it's controversial and too DeusEx for most authors to "cave in" to that "weak" plot patch... but nay I say! it's the opposite! I say the Realms would be served greatly by an appropriate, in depth handling of the effects of that 5th-level Raise Dead spell being used in the Realms. I get the feel most authors avoid the spell or act like it's not there. I'm sorry, but it's there in the game. And Realms novels pretty much support everything else in the game, so why not that? Priesthoods in Faerun don't get the respect they deserve. If I have a suggestion in terms of what I'd like to see in future Realms novels: more visibility on clergies. If I'd write a Realms novel (thank God I am not, for your collective sake), I'd have every main powerful character (Azoun, Alustriel, Simbul, etc.) constantly worry about what the High Priests would think about this and that... we're talking about holy figures that can decide if your daughter/wife will get that healing spell or not when time comes, and whether or not they would be willing to bring you back from the Fugue to let you finish a quest or see the birth of your firstborn, etc.

Edited by - Purple Dragon Knight on 19 Oct 2007 04:13:42
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
313 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2007 :  14:11:38  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message
Lady Hooded One, I would echo Jamallo Kreen's request for astrological information.
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1144 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2007 :  14:18:29  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
I'd like to go with the Raise Dead sentiment too. It'd be nice to see a Noble effectively "disinherited" like Ed says would happen to him if he was brought back to life. Eds already talked about what a massive social life destroyer it is amongst the nobility, it'd be nice to see someone deal with it. Perhaps even done by a priest who thought he was doing the guy a favor.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5043 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2007 :  17:45:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Thank you for the questions and your posts as to what you'd like to see or not see in THE SWORD NEVER SLEEPS; please keep them coming! In the other direction, I have two Realmslore tidbits to pass on from Ed this time, to whit:

Scribe Jamello Kreen posted: “Well met! If it's not NDA, will Ed please tell us what specific type of undead the Skulls are (demiliches, perhaps), or are they sui generis?”
And Ed replies:

Sorry, but these are under a specific NDA right now. It may be months before they are “out” of it, but I won’t forget or mislay your question. Skeptic was quite right to direct you to Eric’s CITY OF SPLENDORS work; he and I discussed the Skulls in one of our many private phone conflabs, prior to publication, so you can take what it said therein as “canon gospel.”

So saith Ed. Kuje also posted a recent query that included this: “However, I'm really interested if Ed could detail how philosophy is different in FR. Or even include some of the more widely used sayings/quotes related to philosophy and subjects related to philosophy.”
Ed replies:

Certainly. When I have more time I’ll get to this. I have touched on it briefly before, and of course many of the “header quotes” I concocted to open chapters in my novels or as frontispieces for FR game products reflect various philosophies of life. In general, those few Faerûnians who closely and devoutly venerate one god above all others follow the views of that deity and the priesthood of that deity; most other folk in the Realms pick up “clever sayings” that they ‘can relate to’ from everywhere (sages, bards, orators, and various faiths), concocting their own personal mixture to serve as a world-view.
In general, these world-views can be categorized into two sorts: the essentially fatalistic “the gods determine everything; except as I can anticipate what they will cause or escape their notice, my life as it unfolds is determined by them, and I should either accept it, drifting along and awaiting what comes, or at best succeed by understanding and anticipating them, and benefitting thereby” and the essentially self-oriented “we are what we make of ourselves; those who act upon the world rather than just reacting, and who try to understand the forces at work in the Realms [from the Weave to the current tides of opinion, the relative powers of countries, and politics] and through that understanding Do The Right Things to benefit themselves, will both succeed and please the gods because we are acting, and thus becoming part of energies that have positive results in the Realms, than than the dronelike, ignorant masses of life who drift and are dragged along, and have no impact that they seek or attempt to achieve.”
Some churches smile upon those who try to think, understand, and act for themselves; others regard such behaviour (as opposed to seeking guidance from their clergy or a priesthood) as near-blasphemy. In general, trading settlements (from Waterdeep, Silverymoon, Athkatla, and Suzail down to Waymoot, Triboar, and Bargewright Inn) have populations dominated by tolerance for the “active” thinkers, who scorn any clerical denunciation of such attitudes.

So saith Ed. Who is MORE than busy right now with Realms work, believe me!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2007 :  19:22:56  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight
Addendum to last: And I'd like to see more raise dead / resurrection action happening in novels. I know: it's controversial and too DeusEx for most authors to "cave in" to that "weak" plot patch... but nay I say! it's the opposite! I say the Realms would be served greatly by an appropriate, in depth handling of the effects of that 5th-level Raise Dead spell being used in the Realms. I get the feel most authors avoid the spell or act like it's not there.

You ought to check out the Lady Penitent novels, then.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 19 Oct 2007 19:29:08
Go to Top of Page

Warrax
Learned Scribe

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2007 :  22:52:30  Show Profile  Visit Warrax's Homepage  Click to see Warrax's MSN Messenger address Send Warrax a Private Message
quote:
In general, these world-views can be categorized into two sorts: the essentially fatalistic “the gods determine everything; except as I can anticipate what they will cause or escape their notice, my life as it unfolds is determined by them, and I should either accept it, drifting along and awaiting what comes, or at best succeed by understanding and anticipating them, and benefitting thereby” and the essentially self-oriented “we are what we make of ourselves; those who act upon the world rather than just reacting, and who try to understand the forces at work in the Realms [from the Weave to the current tides of opinion, the relative powers of countries, and politics] and through that understanding Do The Right Things to benefit themselves, will both succeed and please the gods because we are acting, and thus becoming part of energies that have positive results in the Realms, than than the dronelike, ignorant masses of life who drift and are dragged along, and have no impact that they seek or attempt to achieve.”

Would it be possible to get an idea of what kind of philosophical literature might exist? The world view stuff is very interesting but are there any people who really try to explore things rationally? Epistemologists, existentialists, etc, anything like the kind of modern philosophical schools of thought that we see in our own world?
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1144 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2007 :  23:21:02  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
Weirdly, I wonder if most of today's philosophical models are explored through religion.

I.e. Aristotelian rationality is the Province of Gond.

Nietzsche's works is the province of Banite dogma.

Etc.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2007 :  03:05:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Warrax, Ed will indeed explore the various Faerunian philosophers and their written works here, when he has the time. That's precisely what he meant by "get to this," because the original questions he's responding to asked about books and the thinkers who penned them.
As to WHEN he has the time; ah, that's the kicker. He's off to Pentacon soon, and horribly busy with writing work between now and the end of January. He's not even sure if he'll be able to keep up with his hitherto pretty-regular schedule of Realmslore replies here at the Keep! Sigh.
On the other hand, at least two of the reasons for his busy-ness are things that would make all Realms fans happy, if he or I were able to identify them.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
536 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2007 :  03:24:30  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded OneAs to WHEN he has the time; ah, that's the kicker. He's off to Pentacon soon, and horribly busy with writing work between now and the end of January. He's not even sure if he'll be able to keep up with his hitherto pretty-regular schedule of Realmslore replies here at the Keep! Sigh.
On the other hand, at least two of the reasons for his busy-ness are things that would make all Realms fans happy, if he or I were able to identify them.
love,
THO

Please let Mr. Greenwood know that we all wish him the best with his writing endeavours, and that we really appreciate all the time that he gives us. As well as yourself, gentle Lady.

Respectfully,
Penknight

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1144 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2007 :  03:30:29  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
I'm sure we're all willing to wait, Hooded One.

I know I am.

For my questions sent to him direct and those sent earlier.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2007 :  14:42:47  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh-heh. Your direct questions are already answered (hope you got the e-reply). Ed's still our Ed, and on the job.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1144 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2007 :  15:21:16  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
Thanks, just checked my mail.

Very much appreciated!

I'll share my answers with Kuje if ya don't mind.

But bravo Ed and best of luck with your latest work.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2007 :  18:23:03  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Hello again Ed and THO.

I disagree. Third edition introduced spells for sterility, which I considered in bad taste, but there they are, and certainly Qilué Veladorn's pre-natal existence is very relevant to the Forgotten Realms. Let's see Ed's answer (but let's also please keep our real world viewpoints on the subject to ourselves!).

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1144 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2007 :  18:38:26  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
Realmswise, fertility and sterility are largely of interest because we discuss everything from Haruula pottery in these threads to whose having sex with whom amongst the NPCs. Certainly, people are going to deal with the most relevant aspects of people's lives in the ability to bear children. Is it disgusting to sterilize someone in Faerun against their will? Certainly. The same as in our world.

But yes, I tend to think it's better not to try and bother Ed with such a question less because of whatever the answer is (I doubt there's any importance whether Kelemvor keeps a Guff of Infant souls or recycles them or not) but more what people would take his answer to be regarding real world issues.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2007 :  18:38:26  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

Hello again, all. Warrax, Ed will indeed explore the various Faerunian philosophers and their written works here, when he has the time. That's precisely what he meant by "get to this," because the original questions he's responding to asked about books and the thinkers who penned them.

(respectful snipping)

love,
THO

Well met and thanks for (most of) the answer to my question about the Skulls.

I've been on the bandwagon for information about "classical" literature (which I don't think I explicitly described to include philosophical works) for more than a year, but Ed's temporary reply sets off a light bulb <insert light bulb icon which isn't supported here>: Zakhara is described as "The Land of Fate," so would Ed please touch on their famous philosophers, too? Since it's become a smaller world since 1360, can we pretty please hear about Maztican and "oriental" philosophers, too? I've been reading the "Empires" modules ("Storm Riders" to "Blood Charge"), and while the stealth war between the Yellow and Red monasteries is described and some of the background of it is given, there is no "flavor text" to dish out to players to get them thinking about what's going on there beyond their own petty desires to not become undead (and maybe thwart a villain or two). Some background material would really enhance those adventures for my players, I'm sure; you know: here a sutra, there a sutra, everywhere a Kama Sutra....

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1144 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2007 :  18:39:43  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
Does Ed answer Kara-Tur, Maztica, Zhakara, or Horde questions? Last I heard it was no, because they were really seperate lines within his setting.

He might be able to give Calisham philosophy answers though, which is effectively the same.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2007 :  22:14:33  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Charles, of course you can share Ed's replies (second batch just sent) with Kuje. As for Maztica, Zakhara, Horde, and Kara-Tur: I'd give a rest on those. As far as I know, we've never visited them in the home Realms campaign, so Ed probably has little or no detailed lore on them.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2007 :  02:24:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
. . . And now, having sent the last few posts off to Ed, he sent me this:

Thanks, Softhips. Charles hath made me chuckle again. I'm currently trying to figure out just where I can sneak a brief scene into my future Realms fiction wherein two characters make love amid shards of Halruaan pottery.
Or, I suppose, INSIDE some family-economy-sized Halruaan pottery.
Hmm . . .

So saith Ed. Ahem.
And "Softhips" is a pet name for me, of course; I CAN'T imagine why.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000