Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2007 :  20:36:04  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Hi, another Realmslore question from me, too.
I've just spent several days running around buying food (chestnuts, dark chocolate, shrimp rings, mincemeat, Brie cheese) for use in various holiday recipes.
Which got me to thinking: for "special" meals (religious observances, festivals, family tradition rituals, coronations, etc.), how many "special dishes" (e.g. cakes) can be purchased ready-made, or made to order if you arrange beforehand, from shops? Or do people have to "make their own" from painstakingly-assembled ingredients everywhere but in the largest cities?
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Sage of Stars
Seeker

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2007 :  20:54:15  Show Profile  Visit Sage of Stars's Homepage Send Sage of Stars a Private Message
Hello again Ed and lovely THO,
Reading Terry Pratchett's recent sad news made me wonder: does Ed have a "Contingency Plan"? Meaning . . . if (the gods forbid) something bad happens to Ed, what then?
Yes, Wizards owns the Realms, BUT . . . are there unpublished Ed novels waiting in the wings? Non-fiction screeds waiting to be published as farewells or "last looks" from Ed?
Or is this a subject that must remain mysterious? (I am aware that some will find it in less than the best of taste.)
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2007 :  21:05:07  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
And in the fine old tradition of burying the overloaded Ed in questions, questions, and more questions about the Realms, I, too, have another:

How "safe" are the roads within the borders of Cormyr? The southern heartland, I mean, including Immersea and Dhedluk and Waymoot, not north of there or in the West Reaches or near the Hullack Forest.
Would small families dare to walk along them, and camp by night? Lone men? Would children playing be allowed near caravan roads?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2007 :  22:05:07  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn

quote:
Originally posted by Agnitio Veridicus

THO for Ed,

Has Elminster ever visited Sigil, the City of Doors? If so, did he have any interesting experiences there?

-- Agnitio

Good question!

Yes, this is indeed an excellent question. This Purple Dragon Knight would like to know as well, and also extend the question to every major Realms NPC as well (i.e. "has Elminster or any other Realms NPC visited Sigil, has affiliations/contacts there, etc.")

I remember from "Grand Tour of the Realms" that Evereska had somekind of College of "Plane-Hopping" wizards; it would be certainly interesting if this College campus owned real-estate in Sigil...

Gold Elf Teacher: "Fourth year students, congratulations. You have made it this far. Please report to the Evensong Wing for classes Monday morning. As fourth-year privilege, you can now bring your familiar, if you own one, to your classes; any magical item you can carry; and you are now allowed food and drink in moderation. You will also need to procure, at your own cost, a platinum dolphin figurine of dimensions ranging from 3 to 8 inches. A limited supply of last year's 5-inch dolphins are still available from the school art custodian, at the cost of 950 gp, but you are free to bring your custom-made creations if you prefer a more personalized, (read: more easily trackable by magic) dolphin. As you have guessed, this is made of durable material as this item may be used on a daily basis. Do not lose this dolphin. See you in a tenday.

Students: "But wait!"
"Where is Evensong Wing?!?"
"Will this dolphin be used as spell focus?"

Teacher: Direct all your questions to the school Headmaster. I recommend one of you be elected as class representative not to bore the Headmaster with the same questions over and over. The dolphin is not a focus; it's a portal key."

Students: [gasp!]
"I have heard of this Evensong Wing... I think it's in a pocket plane accessible somewhere on the school grounds..."
"I think it's in another plane actually..."
"Another plane, really? where? Arborea? not the Green Fields I hope?!"
[shudders...] "I realllly hope it's not in the Green Fields... youn really can't concentrate with all these halflings around...]
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2007 :  03:37:03  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn

quote:
Originally posted by Agnitio Veridicus

THO for Ed,

Has Elminster ever visited Sigil, the City of Doors? If so, did he have any interesting experiences there?

-- Agnitio

Good question!

Yes, this is indeed an excellent question. This Purple Dragon Knight would like to know as well, and also extend the question to every major Realms NPC as well (i.e. "has Elminster or any other Realms NPC visited Sigil, has affiliations/contacts there, etc.")

I remember from "Grand Tour of the Realms" that Evereska had somekind of College of "Plane-Hopping" wizards; it would be certainly interesting if this College campus owned real-estate in Sigil...

Gold Elf Teacher: "Fourth year students, congratulations. You have made it this far. Please report to the Evensong Wing for classes Monday morning. As fourth-year privilege, you can now bring your familiar, if you own one, to your classes; any magical item you can carry; and you are now allowed food and drink in moderation. You will also need to procure, at your own cost, a platinum dolphin figurine of dimensions ranging from 3 to 8 inches. A limited supply of last year's 5-inch dolphins are still available from the school art custodian, at the cost of 950 gp, but you are free to bring your custom-made creations if you prefer a more personalized, (read: more easily trackable by magic) dolphin. As you have guessed, this is made of durable material as this item may be used on a daily basis. Do not lose this dolphin. See you in a tenday.

Students: "But wait!"
"Where is Evensong Wing?!?"
"Will this dolphin be used as spell focus?"

Teacher: Direct all your questions to the school Headmaster. I recommend one of you be elected as class representative not to bore the Headmaster with the same questions over and over. The dolphin is not a focus; it's a portal key."

Students: [gasp!]
"I have heard of this Evensong Wing... I think it's in a pocket plane accessible somewhere on the school grounds..."
"I think it's in another plane actually..."
"Another plane, really? where? Arborea? not the Green Fields I hope?!"
[shudders...] "I realllly hope it's not in the Green Fields... youn really can't concentrate with all these halflings around...]

PDK,

I must confess your little classroom interaction has me wanting more. What happens in the class next?

You painted a nice picture!
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2007 :  04:06:10  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
The fourth year class rep goes to the Headmaster with a list of questions. The students eventually find that the portal to Evensong Wing is the archway leading to the entrance to the library (coincidentally, the school art custodian is the last door to the left *before* the said archway, where fourth year students and college staff and alumni can leave their platinum dolphin for safekeeping whenever they wish to enter the library without activating the portal; those owning a bag of holding or similar extradimensional safehold can also place the dolphin in there and enter the library normally, with no risk of activating the portal).

The students eventually pass the archway bearing their individual dolphin. They are whisked, one by one, to a very narrow alleyway. The sky is dimly lit with an orange-like witchlight, and the air carry the acrid smell and taste of large forges or smelters operating in the distance. The end of the alley opens on a semi-busy street. The students are immediately stricken with panic: strange humanoids, mind flayers, bands of roving haflings shining heavily in the nine magic spectra, a half-red dragon couple holding hands, six androsphinxes debating a matter of trade, a squad of heavily armored humans, [gasp!] tieflings or half-fiends dressed in the livery of nobles!, and finally, with some students falling to the ground, knees buckling: a platoon of 30 baatezu marching in the street in a neat, three-deep formation!!!

Some of the students at the rear, recently arrived and having not witnessed the parade, motion to the others to come over to inspect a strange rune on the wall. A student versed in linguistics, noting the ancient patterns, quickly chants a password he learned during his studies, and the strange rune morphs to a series of modern Espruar letters: "Five times Five houses left on the left, Dolphin high thou enter, Dolphin low thou return."
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2007 :  20:02:15  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
As I settle in front of my television set, with a blizzard raging outside and football players clashing on snowy fields on the screen, I am moved to ask Ed or THO:
Are there any team sports (aside from mock battles or real raiding/fighting) that are played in Cormyr, outside, in the winter? In the snow?
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2007 :  20:05:18  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Hmmm. That one moves me to ask something, to: are there any sort of sports contests (aside from duels, wrestling, tavern fights, and gladiatorial stuff in known arenas) played INSIDE Faerunian cities? I.e. that don't involve going outside the walls to find a field?
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2007 :  20:08:12  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Okay, then, that spurs me on.
Are there any sports or competitions-for-public-entertainment hosted or sponsored by temples, or nobles? (That occur in cities, I mean.) I'm not thinking of duels or settling disputes with fights, but real sports.
Thanks.
BB
Go to Top of Page

A Gavel
Seeker

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2007 :  20:09:53  Show Profile  Visit A Gavel's Homepage Send A Gavel a Private Message
"Real" sports? As in, gambling on the results of games/matches? Uniforms? Fans of competing teams or sides?
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2007 :  21:21:13  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

I'm going to make a guess and say Lathander's church is probably deeply involved in sports, particularly athletics.

I wonder if his church hosts something like an Olympiad?

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2007 :  23:48:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Blueblade, Malcolm... you might want to search through Ed's previous replies. I know he's mentioned particular Realms-sports before. He'll likely have more to add, of course, but these already existing replies will be something you can enjoy while awaiting his responses.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2007 :  00:49:43  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Just a quick note:

I've finally got some free time so my .doc file of Ed's replies has been caught up since it was 2 months behind.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2007 :  03:23:48  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All.

I am curious about the fate of elementals that are used in creation of constructs/golems, especially in the case of the Nimblewright which actually has a consciousness. Is the elementals identity replaced with a false consciousness or is the elemental aware of it's current state but unable to break free of the bindings placed upon it? Another thing, since this seems to be an enslavement, possible destruction of another being is this considered an evil act as far as you're concerned?

I have such a construct in my game and I'm wondering if adverse magical forces can actually affect the nimblewright, causing the constructs created-conscious to be aware/struggle with a another conscious within itself, that of the bound elemental.

Lastly can wizards create constructs with an option that the elemental used to power the golem is automatically returned to it's plane upon the golems destruction, for those who have somewhat of a heart?

Thanks as always
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2007 :  05:08:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all!
Zandilar, Ed is incommunicado at the moment (I understand the raging snowstorm afflicting most of Northeastern USA and Southeastern Canada has killed his power and telephone lines, so no computer, no e-mail, no phones, and he's likely using the fireplace for heat, and cooking outside with his old charcoal barbie), but I can start to answer your questions about War Wizards.
Ed once told us that the War Wizard recruits rise and fall from year to year, but an average would probably be about a dozen a year that the Crown and other War Wizards considered suitable - - of whom slightly less than half would survive Vangerdahast's treatment/winnowing.
On a later occasion, Ed said Caladnei is much easier on her War Wizards, both novices and veterans, so fewer flee the realm or quit in disgust - - but she's absolutely paranoid about letting a traitor slip into the ranks of the War Wizards, and has been (unofficially) calling on Dove, who in turn calls on other Chosen and Harpers if she needs them, to make certain no Red Wizard, Zhentarim, Cult of the Dragon, or other "sinister power group" agents get into the War Wizards.
Which means Caladnei "breaks" fewer War Wizards, but catches almost all of the bad eggs, so slightly MORE than half of her annual recruits survive the testing and training and "settling in."
War Wizard losses are way down from the Devil Dragon War period, but are rising again as more sinister (Shade-backed) activities from Sembia occur.
Hope this helps. More when Ed can reply.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2007 :  05:52:32  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
Zandilar, Ed is incommunicado at the moment (I understand the raging snowstorm afflicting most of Northeastern USA and Southeastern Canada has killed his power and telephone lines, so no computer, no e-mail, no phones, and he's likely using the fireplace for heat, and cooking outside with his old charcoal barbie), but I can start to answer your questions about War Wizards.
<snipabit>

Thank you, that was very interesting and useful information! I'll try and send some of our sunny weather up there... sounds like you all need it up there more than we do!

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.

Edited by - Zandilar on 17 Dec 2007 05:53:02
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2007 :  05:54:11  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

Heya,

quote:
<snipabit>

Thank you, that was very interesting and useful information! I'll try and send some of our sunny weather up there... sounds like you all need it up there more than we do!

Indeed. :(

Sigh, southern Lake Ontario, where I live, got 2 feet of snow between today and tomorrow, so north of the lake can't be much better, which includes Canada and up into where Ed lives.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2007 :  06:12:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
*Whimper!*

The last snow we got was lake effect snow, several years ago, about an hour north of here. I miss seeing snow -- or even seasons.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2007 :  14:15:11  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:

Hello, all!
Ed once told us that the War Wizard recruits rise and fall from year to year, but an average would probably be about a dozen a year that the Crown and other War Wizards considered suitable - - of whom slightly less than half would survive Vangerdahast's treatment/winnowing.

Can I ask where they get them from? do War wiazrds activeley go out recruiting apprentices to train up? is there a wizard school in Cormyr when novices can learn their craft? do they take (as a matter of course) non-Cormytes into their ranks?

My players have been asking very similar questions, as they are wondering if/where the magic school is and how do they recruit apprentices/get into the war wizards/what the general make-up is of War Wizards (mainly cormytes/how many in total approximately/does every town/village have at least one in residence etc)?

Thanks

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2007 :  19:18:00  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

(snip)

(snip)

May we have a citation for this please? (Or, if it's in the pdf, just say so -- I can look it up on my computer, because Adobe indexes, even if Wizards doesn't.)

I echo a request for more information from Ed on magical training in Evereska!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2007 :  19:33:18  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

As I settle in front of my television set, with a blizzard raging outside and football players clashing on snowy fields on the screen, I am moved to ask Ed or THO:
Are there any team sports (aside from mock battles or real raiding/fighting) that are played in Cormyr, outside, in the winter? In the snow?
Thanks!
BB

Addendum: Are the paintings of Pieter Brueghel the Elder a good illustration of these?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2007 :  23:53:14  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all!
Damian, Ed is still (literally!) snowed under, but I can have a stab at starting to answer your question, from my experiences playing in the Realms with Ed as DM ("starting" means of course I've still sent your query along to Ed, for his reply in the fullness of time).
AFAIK, there are no formal schools of wizardry in Cormyr. What does exist is a dozen or so mages who are poor enough that they take on apprentices from time to time (especially when approached by rich Cormyrean families; if these are noble families, taking on someone as an apprentice is darned close to a real-world "royal command performance" in that one does NOT refuse). The War Wizards magically spy on ALL resident wizards in the Realm, and covertly approach apprentices (particularly as their apprenticeship ends) if what they have seen (and mind-probed!) of the apprentice strikes them as good War Wizard material.
This is the way most War Wizards are recruited: on an individual, secretive basis, AFTER the candidate has usually been "tested" (manipulated by War Wizards, sometimes with Highknight or Harper or Crown envoy assistance) several times, to see what their true morals, greed, and loyalties are.
Remember, Vangey and Laspeera weren't looking for "good" people so much as "loyal to Vangey first" persons who were gifted in the Art (not necessarily powerful; training the War Wizards can give) and can obey and act well and keep secrets ("their mouths shut," Ed once put it, when speaking as Vangey). Caladnei is a little more picky (she doesn't want evil or ruthless folks, because she thinks she has enough of the latter in the ranks already, and doesn't want any of the former, ever), and Laspeera is utterly loyal to Caladnei, now that she's taken her measure of Caladnei and judged her "just fine" for Cormyr.
There TENDS to be a prejudice against outlanders, meaning they have to "prove themselves" more often and better than native-born Cormyreans, but if a War Wizard is regarded highly by Laspeera or Caladnei, that now means other War Wizards fully respect them, too (this wasn't always the case under Vangerdahast, because many War Wizards thought - - correctly - - he "played favourites," placing loyalty to him above loyalty to the realm, or to an Obarskyr).
Every noble household either has a War Wizard as "house mage" or spies heavily on that house mage, and every "duty mage" attached to a local lord is, again, either a War Wizard or spied upon diligently by War Wizards. In addition, War Wizards wander in disguise everywhere, in the three cities and in Waymoot and Dhedluk and in the way-stops just west of Daerlun especially, watching and listening.
Wherever you are in Cormyr, a War Wizard (or at least their scrutiny) is never far away. Just venturing near certain spots (e.g. some wings of the Royal Palace, Mouth O'Gargoyles) will get you "looked at" immediately, and with suspicion. This means seeing where you go and who you have business dealings with, for at least a short period thereafter.
Oh, and marching up to anyone and expressing a desire to join the War Wizards REALLY gets you watched suspiciously, NOT "invited in."
I hope this helps. Ed will, of course, have more, but I think I've covered all the basics.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2007 :  03:45:59  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
I know our beloved Bearded One is snowed under, but when he digs himself out, lovely THO, if you could ask if he could impart any information on the mysterious Cholandrothipe, the former beloved mage of Feather Falls. Any tidbits would be greatly appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2007 :  03:55:53  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
Question that perhaps has been asked before, but I thought I would ask since it came to me while driving on my forklift at Menards today.

Does Faerun it self (as in the people of) celebrate Holidays in general such as many do with Christmas (Yule), Halloween, Hanuka, Kwanzaa, etc.? Example being the nobles and wealthy of Waterdeep gather this that and this around that time of year and celebrate xxx holiday?

Not particularly based to any one god or being, but just as a general tradition?

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2007 :  05:36:21  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I know our beloved Bearded One [snip]
Watch out Knight... this talk is getting a little Cthulu~ish!

Besides, you know he's not stuck right now... right? have you forgotten that around this time of year, around these Canadian parts, one can hear the distant sound of wood being chopped in the nude, with the occasional bellowing laughter?
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2007 :  08:07:12  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

The last reply about War Wizards inspired another question... well, reminded me of one I was originally going to ask but forgot about...

Does Myrmeen Lhal have a "court" wizard? How does the government of Arabel interact with the War Wizards?

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2007 :  16:38:47  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Neriandal, all Faerūn celebrates Midwinter, Greengrass, Midsummer (and Shieldmeet), Higharvestide, and the Feast of the Moon; whichever of the deity-specific festivals are locally prominent; and (often, in various ways) the solstices and equinoxes. A good number of local celebrations are also mentioned: for instance, Waterdhavians observe Fleetswake, the Fair Seas Festival, Waukeentide, Leiruin, Trolltide, Founders' Day, and Ahghairon's Day, that we know of.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2007 :  20:27:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Actually, PDK, I had always thought that Ed (who has been known in the hot height of summer to wear only boots and a headband whilst chopping wood) just invented that scene to show how unconcerned Storm was about her body ("comfortable in her skin" after so many hundreds of years), but he recently told me that it was based on a real neighbour.
She's quite old now, but I strolled along the creek from Ed's woodlot, and yes, she does indeed chop wood wearing only boots and a smile. She waved to me cheerfully, causing a lot of Canada Geese to fly up.
Yes, we Canadian lasses are tough...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2007 :  20:50:19  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Thank you very much - will come in very handy on Saturday for the game!

best wishes

Damian

quote:

Hi, all!
Damian, Ed is still (literally!) snowed under, but I can have a stab at starting to answer your question, from my experiences playing in the Re

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2007 :  00:08:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Neriandal, all Faerūn celebrates Midwinter, Greengrass, Midsummer (and Shieldmeet), Higharvestide, and the Feast of the Moon; whichever of the deity-specific festivals are locally prominent; and (often, in various ways) the solstices and equinoxes. A good number of local celebrations are also mentioned: for instance, Waterdhavians observe Fleetswake, the Fair Seas Festival, Waukeentide, Leiruin, Trolltide, Founders' Day, and Ahghairon's Day, that we know of.

Indeed. We know of many: Faerūnwide festivals such as Midwinter, the equinoxes, and Shieldmeet; widespread religious festivals [described in the Faiths & Avatars books]; local secular festivals [scattered throughout many sources]. A significant number of them have been compiled here at Candlekeep.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Dec 2007 00:10:58
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000