Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2007 :  22:20:16  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hello again, all. I just received a Realmslore reply from Ed re. this, from scribe Jamallo Kreen: "Hot on the heels of my astrological question for Ed, I ask another, spurred by my completion of one Realms novel trilogy. (snip)

Ed replies:

(snip)

So saith Ed. Who is hard at work on the Realms, on several fronts.
love to all,
THO

Thank you very much. That was wonderful lore!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2007 :  04:49:47  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Something for Ed to look at when he's coming back - the second question I've come up with due to my beard:
What kind of materials does the people of the Realms use to stem light bleeding? (And for anyone interested; yes, I allowed thriftiness to get the better of me and used a blade once too many)

And a real-life question that should be possible to answer in a yes or no fashion:
Is the saying that no-one is as bad at returning library-books on time as the librarians themselves as true in Canada as it is in Sweden? (I got the information from a friend from four weeks at information-science college when I returned a bunch of book a bit late).

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2007 :  14:44:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Ed, I found this question floating in the ether...
quote:
Originally posted by MalariaMoon

Dear Ed,
First off, I’d just like to share my excitement at discovering the “Ask Ed Thread” at Candlekeep. I’m happily ploughing through the archives, feasting merrily on Realmslore. This exploration has triggered a couple of queries of my own – my apologies if these questions have already been asked.
First question: Could you expand a little on falconry in the Realms? In which areas of the Realms is falconry practised, and to what purpose (an idle pastime of the nobility, or a means of a procuring food for a commoner)? Which birds are favoured, and are there any interesting examples of raptors, owls or stranger beasts indigenous to the Realms he could share with us? Finally, does any kind of hierarchy of different birds for different ranks exist in any area, as per the 1486 Book of St. Albans? Feel free to limit your response to a particular kingdom or culture of Faerun if the scope of the question is too general.
Second question: The current edition of the D&D game puts a lot of emphasis on familiars and animal companions, but I notice that majority of Ed’s magic using characters do not have familiars. Is there any reason for this? Perhaps the unique powers of the Chosen of Mystra prohibit them from having familiars?

Many Thanks and keep the Realmslore flowing!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2007 :  05:18:26  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by dalor_darden

Consider me lazy for asking this question:

Where can I find more information about Ed's works that are NOT related to the Forgotten Realms?

You can find a bit here.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2007 :  05:33:43  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

quote:

Consider me lazy for asking this question:

Where can I find more information about Ed's works that are NOT related to the Forgotten Realms?

You can find a bit here.

Thanks for the link Xysma. Which of those is an alternative campaign setting of his? Its Castlemourn right?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2007 :  19:34:01  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message
Greetings THO, Ed and all sages. I have been reading Ed's answers to questions for a long time but this is my first question so lets hope it is a good one.

My campaign may be heading to Berdusk and the party contains a cleric of Lathander. I see that a shrine to Lathander, the Roseportal House, exists there and I'm sure he'll want to pay it a visit. The catch is this does not seem like your standard road side shrine. The building that is marked on the Berdusk map is fairly large but I can not find any other information on it. The only reference I see is on page 160 in tsr9460, Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast.

Any additional information on this shrine would be much welcomed. I would like to think a large shrine would have some thing cool in it like a relic or some holy site.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Verghityax
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2007 :  15:58:35  Show Profile  Visit Verghityax's Homepage Send Verghityax a Private Message
Dear Ed and lovely Lady Hooded One,
I've got another cartographic question, this time concerning Elversult - one of those cities that made it into 2nd edition 'Adventures' sourcebook but haven't been updated since that time (except for the short note in FRCS, of course). Now, if it is possible I would like to know the exact location (on the map) of the following places:
1. The House of Hands (temple to Gond)
2. Shrine to Eldath
3. Shrine to Selune
4. Shrine to Tymora
5. The Axe and Hammer Inn
6. Splitskull Inn and Tavern
7. Frostshear's Fighters
Go to Top of Page

Kheris
Seeker

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2007 :  19:08:47  Show Profile  Visit Kheris's Homepage Send Kheris a Private Message
Dear Ed and Lady Hooded One,

My apologies for the double-post, but a person far wiser than I directed me here, and I hoped to share this question with you...

I was wondering if there's any lore floating about regarding the smiths of Cormyr and the makers' marks they use. I presume that they're forbidden use of draconic imagery (as the military companies are), so I would imagine that everything else is fair game? Also, assuming that the smiths (specifically what I'm dealing with) can't use draconic symbols normally, is it plausible for a great-great-great......-grandparent to have been granted that privilege for exceptional service, perhaps that ancestor was a knight of the realm who retired to become a smith?

Sorry if this is exceedingly obscure...
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2007 :  19:19:56  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Well met, all!

This past Saturday I actually had a character take ranks in "Profession (Printer)," and I must now ask Ed what sorts of printing presses are in use in the Realms, and when they were introduced. This may have been answered in a more general way in Ed's other writings, such as "Small Presses of Waterdeep," but I need some basic information which I can implement in-game. For example, are large presses screw-operated, like Gutenberg's, or does a lever raise the paper platen to the type (or perhaps vice versa); i.e., is the force to join ink to paper applied straight downward by weights, does a screw transfer lateral energy into downward energy, or is a lever used to press paper and type together? (Inefficient though the latter system might be, since this is the early days of printing in Faerun, it might be an experimental type of machine.) Is the paper fed in by being slid under (or perhaps over) the type, or is the type moved over the platen? Are there mid-sized, portable presses of a couple of hundred pounds weight which can be carried from town to town on a wagon, set up there, and then moved on to the next town (American West style)? Are there very small and simple presses (like American toy printing presses -- for boys, mind you!) which can be caried by one person (essential for a mobile criminal operation or for printing flyers for freedom fighters battling a despotic regime)? We have a year-by-year timeline of when various types of firearm were introduced to the Realms, would you be so kind, please, Ed, as to supply us a timeline of when various types of presses were introduced on Toril, and the part the Uttermost East played in this process? I eagerly await your answers, so that I may dazzle my players with Realmslore which they probably never suspected could be acquired.

At the risk of making our Lady of the Hood roll her eyes back in despair, would Ed please also tell us a bit about papers and inks used specifically for printing, and whether or not it's possible to use specialty inks to create magical writings such as scrolls or mass-produced spellbooks? I thank you in advance, since I know Ed loves talking about inks!

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2007 :  19:35:27  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Well met, all!

This past Saturday I actually had a character take ranks in "Profession (Printer)," and I must now ask Ed what sorts of printing presses are in use in the Realms, and when they were introduced. This may have been answered in a more general way in Ed's other writings, such as "Small Presses of Waterdeep," but I need some basic information which I can implement in-game. For example, are large presses screw-operated, like Gutenberg's, or does a lever raise the paper platen to the type (or perhaps vice versa); i.e., is the force to join ink to paper applied straight downward by weights, does a screw transfer lateral energy into downward energy, or is a lever used to press paper and type together? (Inefficient though the latter system might be, since this is the early days of printing in Faerun, it might be an experimental type of machine.) Is the paper fed in by being slid under (or perhaps over) the type, or is the type moved over the platen? Are there mid-sized, portable presses of a couple of hundred pounds weight which can be carried from town to town on a wagon, set up there, and then moved on to the next town (American West style)? Are there very small and simple presses (like American toy printing presses -- for boys, mind you!) which can be caried by one person (essential for a mobile criminal operation or for printing flyers for freedom fighters battling a despotic regime)? We have a year-by-year timeline of when various types of firearm were introduced to the Realms, would you be so kind, please, Ed, as to supply us a timeline of when various types of presses were introduced on Toril, and the part the Uttermost East played in this process? I eagerly await your answers, so that I may dazzle my players with Realmslore which they probably never suspected could be acquired.

At the risk of making our Lady of the Hood roll her eyes back in despair, would Ed please also tell us a bit about papers and inks used specifically for printing, and whether or not it's possible to use specialty inks to create magical writings such as scrolls or mass-produced spellbooks? I thank you in advance, since I know Ed loves talking about inks!

Small Presses of Waterdeep Parts One, Two, Three and Four might answer your question, at least in part. Or they may not. It has been awhile since I last read them.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2007 :  22:31:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Jamallo, I'd also suggest you take a look at the type of 'printing press' used in the "Patronage" tale from Realms of Valor.

It should keep you busy until Ed gets back!

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  00:37:32  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
Odd question,

"What are the mating habits of Daemonfae?"

;-)

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  04:03:33  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message
quote:

Thanks for the link Xysma. Which of those is an alternative campaign setting of his? Its Castlemourn right?

That is correct. As far as the non-Realms novels go, I've just now gotten into the Band of Four series and it's quite good. I picked up the audio book somewhere and listened to it at the gym for a couple of weeks, but ended up having to pick up the novels. There's just no substitute for holding the book in my hands.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  17:38:11  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

Odd question,

"What are the mating habits of Daemonfae?"

;-)

My guess would be that since it is matriarchal, like drow, that the girl-type deamonfey get to sleep with any boy-type gold elf captives or daemonfey that they wish.

This is just going from what I have read in Races of Faerun and Lords of Darkenss, I went to my local used book store and they still had books 1 & 2 of the Last Mythal trilogy, but not book 3. So I picked up books 1 & 2, then went to Borders, which had books 1 & 2, but not book 3. Grr...I need to find a copy of book 3 before I start reading it. Well, I have got awhile, I am almost done with book 1 of the Maztica trilogy, and have El's Daughter to read, I should be able to find a copy of it by then.

Apology for the rant.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  21:21:39  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Jamallo, I'd also suggest you take a look at the type of 'printing press' used in the "Patronage" tale from Realms of Valor.

It should keep you busy until Ed gets back!

Ya, since now I have to buy it in order to read it!

Fair warning to all: I have several posts in a row ... er ... column following this one. Each deals with a separate topic, though, which I hope will make life a little bit easier for our Lady Hooded One.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  21:50:19  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Well met! I have three related questions for Ed relating to what goes on with crystal spheres:

If a person on Toril (or another body with an atmosphere within Realmspace) has a device which permits distant viewing (such as a telescope, crystal ball, etc.) or some racial or class ability which permits extraordinary distance viewing, do the stars on Realmspace's crystal sphere appear to exist at different distances from the observer, or does the observer see them as being equidistant? Also, do the stars on the inside of crystal spheres appear to "twinkle" from the perspective of someone on a body with an atmosphere within the crystal sphere? Do other non-stellar bodies within a crystal sphere (excluding suns) appear to "twinkle" from the perspective of someone on another such body? Enquiring astrogators want to know!

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  21:55:40  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Hello all! I have some questions about the belief in Fate (capital "F") and Destiny (capital "D") on Toril. I hope they admit quick and easy answers, which might give us a foretaste of Ed's longer answers about philosophy! Aside from Zakhara, "the Land of Fate," have there been other cultures on Toril which have believed in an immutable Fate, which not even the gods themselves could escape? If it has been believed, what cultures, if any, have believed in an intelligent Power (capital "P") guiding, controlling or decreeing fates (lower case "f")? Labelas Whats-his-name and Chronepsis spring to mind. Have earlier cultures tended to believe in a rigidly deterministic fate, one which no one can avoid, and which has no free will, or have there been cultures which believed that Heroes (capital "H") could bribe, wheedle, cajole, or outright bully Fate (or the Fates) into (apparently) altering a personal destiny or that of the groups which the Heroes have championed? Enquiring epiphenomalists want to know!

=====================

OMGs! That last tag line allows me to answer at least one sliver of the pending questions on Realms philosophy.

The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy (http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/epiphenomenalism) states:

quote:
Epiphenomenalism is the view that mental events are caused by physical events in the brain, but have no effects upon any physical events. Behavior is caused by muscles that contract upon receiving neural impulses, and neural impulses are generated by input from other neurons or from sense organs.

The spell speak with dead would seem to strongly support epiphenomenalism, because the necromancer is not speaking to any "spirit" or "soul," but rather with the physical remains of a dead being, and data apparently recorded within the physical body itself; this also presupposes that the deceased must have been corporeal in life. HOWEVER, the spell magic jar completely refutes epiphenomenalism in the Forgotten Realms and any other game setting in which it works, because the spell separates a non-corporeal "spirit" or "soul" from the physical body; therefore, living beings on whom the spell magic jar works must have "spirits" or "souls." Quod erat demonstrandum.

My very expensive college education finally finds a use in the real world!

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  21:57:44  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Today BBC published some of the UK's most ludicrous laws (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7081038.stm), with the champ being, "It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament," and the runner-up being, "It is an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British king or queen's image upside-down."

Ed, are there any ludicrous laws in the Realms which a DM might want to inflict ... er ... introduce to PCs? (I mean "player characters," not "police constables.")

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  19:49:11  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
There are LOTS of such laws, if my experiences playing with Ed as DM are anything to judge by.
Ed's back. He really enjoyed the workshop with AlorinDawn, won a First place medal playing Circus Imperium, and generally had a great time, but is at his day job now and digging out from under a MOUNTAIN of e-mails, library board hassles, and Wizards details; he'll post (via me) as soon as he can, he's promised me.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  01:56:32  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Goodie, since Ed's back here's a question since I couldn't find the answer or maybe you can answer this THO.

What is the date, or even just the year if a full date isn't known, on when the Knight's closed the MD portal in the Burial Glen. I figured it had to be between 1348 and 1358 but even Sage said he didn't recall a date in any sourcebooks and I looked through Ruins of MD, the 1e campaign setting, the Grand History, and a few other books and didn't find a date either.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 08 Nov 2007 01:57:53
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  02:40:41  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Kuje! Ed just sent me an e-mail saying he's "snowed under; REALLY snowed under," so his replies might turn sporadic for a while.
As far as that date goes, I seem to recall two different dates. As in, we had one date in our home Realms campaign (and I can't remember what it was, now!), but TSR lore of the time contradicted it due to something else written by someone else that had a date linked to that gate closure (not published in a product, but worked out so that it had to be internally adhered to).
However, I believe that Eric Boyd (if he remembers now, after all this time) worked out a "this must be the right" date for the published Realms with Ed, putting together all the published hints and factors. I'd try him straightaway if I were you (and tell me what answer he gives, will you, please? I'm curious, now).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  02:43:12  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:

Hi, Kuje! Ed just sent me an e-mail saying he's "snowed under; REALLY snowed under," so his replies might turn sporadic for a while.

Poor guy, send him my sympathies.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  02:47:20  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Done.
I know the sympathies of a lady have the power to both soothe and invigorate Ed (and yes, you can probably guess just how I know that ), and the better he is, the better and faster Realmslore we'll all get.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  03:01:38  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:

As far as that date goes, I seem to recall two different dates. As in, we had one date in our home Realms campaign (and I can't remember what it was, now!), but TSR lore of the time contradicted it due to something else written by someone else that had a date linked to that gate closure (not published in a product, but worked out so that it had to be internally adhered to).
However, I believe that Eric Boyd (if he remembers now, after all this time) worked out a "this must be the right" date for the published Realms with Ed, putting together all the published hints and factors. I'd try him straightaway if I were you (and tell me what answer he gives, will you, please? I'm curious, now).
love,
THO

Okies, bugger but will do. :)

Edit: Eric said 1357 according to Dragon 359.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 08 Nov 2007 05:38:38
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  06:05:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Heh. Typical. It had to be in the one source I didn't check.

Go to Top of Page

Aelryn
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2007 :  06:18:49  Show Profile  Visit Aelryn's Homepage Send Aelryn a Private Message
To Ed and the Hooded Lady Most Fair,

Greetings. I have perused these scrolls for some time, although only just recently have I finally felt fit to join the ranks of the scribes present. Still, with my joining of the ranks I have some questions that press rather heavily on my mind- I will attempt to be as concise as possible with such weighty matters.

Firstly- a huge thank you to Ed (and all the other contributors to the Realms) for so much love and care put into a creation as wonderful as the realms- it has given me years of enjoyment as well as a place to vent my own creativity through several mediums, both my own writing and the collaborative storytelling that comes of games such as pen and paper sessions and, more conveniently and frequently on my end the role-play that can be indulged in through the medium of Neverwinter Nights. It is an ambition of one of my characters on a server of said game that produces my question.

(Spoilerish?) With the upcoming spell plague, and apparently the death of Mystra as well (something my staunch opposition to has also helped in creating this question,) it is apparent that magic will find itself vastly weakened in the Realms compared to present day.(End Spoilers?) As I have just mentioned, I'm somewhat against the concept of Mystra needing to die (for a third time) to achieve a shift in magic in the realms- so much more so because the Neutral Good incarnation of Mystra is by far my favorite.

To skip a lot of background involving four-plus years of collaborative role-play between my character (who has held the mantle of Mystra's Chosen during my time playing him) and another person's character (a -very- old netherese lich that is a Chosen of Shar)that if you wish details on (either for curiosity's sake or to better answer my question) I'd be happy to provide a link to in a private message, I'll skip to the crux of the matter.

In Faiths and Pantheons, under the entry for Mystra, the possibility of subsuming both Shar and her Shadow Weave is mentioned, even though doing so might cause her to lose some of her purity. This is a concept I much prefer to the idea of Mystra's outright death, and I'm unsure if this possibility was a brain child of yours (Ed's) or not. I'm aware that the Shadow Weave and Weave have combined in instances before to produce an end result and was interested in a variant of that idea. I've several questions regarding this, that, if they would trigger an NDA response, I wonder if you could answer as to how you would handle it in your own home campaign as you perceive it.

If, using the gestalt spell, or in this specific case, a researched variant of it that requires two separate casters to focus their spell on a third party to combine three creatures into one instead of two, assuming that Mystra and the Weave are one and thusly that any of her Chosen have a likewise enhanced connection to it, and since Shar likewise has absolute control of the Shadow Weave, if the Chosen of these two opposed deities could find a common ground and reason to perform such a spell, would their connection into a single body potentially form an intense, concentrated enough connection between the two weaves so that Mystra and/or Shar could force a battle for dominance/control of both weaves in an attempt to bring all of magic under one or the other's control? (Assuming that the divine politics as have occurred in the indicated campaign and Shar's own recent actions may have convinced Mystra that such an option is one worth considering in the first place.)

Two: If such a battle -could- be engaged as a result, what would be the most likely results as you would envision them, for the two or three participants of the spell, the Weaves of each deity (not to mention their respective gods), and the general status and health of magic, both active and dormant, within the Realms? I see this is a way to potentially explain the shift of magic within the realms without necessitating the third death of Mystra and leaving the remaining Weaves at the whim of what I consider to be an even greater evil than Bane himself in Shar- after all, Bane may wish to rule all, but it is my understanding that Shar's greatest goal is the utter destruction of the Realms and a return to oblivion- leaving all the magic of the Realms at the mercy of such a power is not a Realms I'd like to delve too deeply into if I can avoid it- for games where dark powers have such a marked advantage such as that, I can pick up a Ravenloft book.

I've attempted to be concise, but I probably failed miserably- please forgive this humble acolyte his shortcomings in such things with such heavy matters on his mind. When you're no longer snowed under, any insight you could provide into the above matters would be greatly appreciated, and I wish you the speediest recovery from your current state.

(Numerous edits are for the sake of being neat within the chaos of my mind- the message remains unchanged.)

"Even when our eyes are closed, there's a whole world out there, that lives outside ourselves and our dreams."

Edited by - Aelryn on 10 Nov 2007 06:14:17
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2007 :  20:09:28  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Ed & THO,

Tell me Ed, whatever befell poor Sniffy Wiggelbottom?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2007 :  18:31:59  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Alorin Dawn, I can answer your latest myself:

Sniffy is alive and well. He was kidnapped to "persuade" him to sell his businesses to a Zhent agent, but the local Harper who was watching and waiting for this stepped in, rescued him, and slaughtered most of the Zhents then operating in Secomber, in the process.
BTW, he has other secrets that might surprise most folk who have dealings with im. No, I'm not telling. Yet.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2007 :  19:05:23  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
I take it "Sniffy Wigglebottom" isn't his real name?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2007 :  19:07:50  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
You take it correctly.
His real name is Snavarel Waeglebotham, but inevitably, from early childhood (he had perpetual colds, and sniffled a lot), everyone but family called him by his nickname - - and even family members used "Sniffy," most of the time.
Yes, we've asked Ed about this.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000