Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2007 :  16:18:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Silverstar1610

I’d like to know whether the church of Tymora would officiate over wedding ceremonies, and what they would be like too, if that’s ok?

I've not yet replaced the book, so I can't check... But I'm fairly certain that Shandril and Narm's wedding, in Spellfire, was officiated by a Tymoran priest.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2007 :  17:06:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Aye. Wooly's right. There is a Tymoran ceremony in Ed's Spellfire.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2007 :  17:24:44  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
quote:
I’m interested in childbirth and children in the Realms. How high is the mortality rate for mothers and babies, particularly in Cormyr and in Silverymoon? Are there any forms of pain relief that are particularly used? How high is the occurrence of multiple births amongst humans?

Ed's stated that there's a lot of herbalistic cures/pain relievers that are remarkably effective around Faerun. It seems that infant mortality is rarer in Faerun than it was in our world by a significant degree, though still not unknown.

I blame the elves for Realms pharmacology being so high.

quote:
I’d also be interested in hearing about childhood in Silverymoon, Cormyr and Waterdeep. How much do extended families get involved in raising children? What about schooling and education? And what would generally happen when adventurers have children, or anyone who has a profession which involves a great deal of travelling and danger – paladins, for example?

http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/sse/sse_040506-07.htm

Go look up "God parents" for an extensive Ed answer.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2007 :  17:26:30  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
quote:
well, I've generally stayed away from asking Ed about Mulhorand since it was never portrayed as he developed it in his original campaign. However, since we opened this small can of delicacies, I was always under the impression that they came from someplace "Earth-like", not Earth. Since we are dealing with a fantasy world, claiming that they are from our real world could cause problems, not to mention what happened to the gods.

Honestly, I'd love to see more of Ed Greenwood's Mulhorandi described. It seems to be very much like Robert Howard's Stygia (there's no shame in homaging the best, but I don't think Ed actually does much homaging unlike some). A land ruled entirely by the worship of Set seems like it'd fit my campaigns and the origins of the Thayans much better.

Go to Top of Page

Silverstar1610
Acolyte

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2007 :  19:14:32  Show Profile  Visit Silverstar1610's Homepage Send Silverstar1610 a Private Message
quote:
I've not yet replaced the book, so I can't check... But I'm fairly certain that Shandril and Narm's wedding, in Spellfire, was officiated by a Tymoran priest.

I think you, or someone else, may have recommended that to me when I asked my Sunite question a while back, and I'd completely forgotten. Thanks :)

quote:
Ed's stated that there's a lot of herbalistic cures/pain relievers that are remarkably effective around Faerun. It seems that infant mortality is rarer in Faerun than it was in our world by a significant degree, though still not unknown.

I blame the elves for Realms pharmacology being so high.

Hehe. That's interesting. I'd like to hear more about that.

quote:
http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/sse/sse_040506-07.htm

Go look up "God parents" for an extensive Ed answer.

Ooo, thanks. I've been ploughing my way through the various articles, but I hadn't come across hat one yet. That answers some of what I wanted to know.

Thanks, everyone.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2007 :  00:48:42  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Blueblade, Ed has chatted with me very briefly via phone this afternoon, and here are some answers:
1/
REALMS OF WAR: Ed can't say much about this (NDAs), but I think I glimpsed it on my last visit. If I'm right, it will have something to do with Mirt and Amn, probably in the past (i.e. younger Mirt). But quote me not, okay?

2/
The wedding address: yes, it happened, Ed has a written text, several gamers in Oz have signed copies as collectibles, and Ed will probably share the text more widely someday. When (ahem) he has time for such things.

3/
As for the "goodie" (an interview with Princess Alusair, I believe), I haven't seen it on the site. Ed has provided e-texts to Wizards (twice, I think). As to why it hasn't shown up: I don't know, though I suspect the Gleemax/D&DInsider launch work has something to do with it.

Ed will return with more Realmslore replies when he can. One note to riot the outsider: Ed missed mention of one detail in his reply to you: his original heraldic badge has the crescent moon "on it back," with the curved horns uppermost, not upside down (that was the doing of the 2nd-logo-version artist).
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 24 Oct 2007 00:53:09
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2007 :  01:12:20  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
*bangs shield with warhammer* TEMPUS!

*charges American Library Association*

This should clear up his work schedule!

Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2007 :  01:36:26  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

*bangs shield with warhammer* TEMPUS!

*charges American Library Association*

This should clear up his work schedule!

Not sure how much you're gonna help by battering the American Library Association, unless they have taken over Canada, which I suppose is possible.
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2007 :  02:38:53  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
I'm building up EXP.

Canadian Libraries have 2 CL higher than American ones.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2007 :  03:09:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

I'm building up EXP.

Canadian Libraries have 2 CL higher than American ones.

Indeed. It's because of the exchange rate. It's the same reason that British libraries are worth twice the XP.

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2007 :  03:58:52  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Indeed. It's because of the exchange rate. It's the same reason that British libraries are worth twice the XP.

The US and CAN $ are worth the same currently. However, we still suffer from higher prices for no real reason.

Edited by - Skeptic on 24 Oct 2007 05:03:47
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2007 :  04:00:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Fellow scribes... we seem to be drifting from the purpose of this particular scroll. Let's keep things on track, eh?

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2007 :  04:58:07  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
*watches Library Pit Fiend gurgle and die*

But I was just ready to move to the Second Layer of the 9 Floors!

Oh well.

Could you tell us a little bit more about the God of Thieves personality, Ed? I've always liked Mask and he got the shaft rather badly in Realmsfiction until recently. Is he as evil as all that or just a rogue who happens to be very amoral at what he does?

Go to Top of Page

Athenon
Acolyte

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2007 :  17:56:22  Show Profile  Visit Athenon's Homepage Send Athenon a Private Message
Ed and Lady THO,

I have a question for you regarding an obscure corner of the Realms. I'm thinking about setting an upcoming campaign in the north central part of Faerun in the area of the Turnback Mountain/Gaethluntar/Tortured Land. As far as I can tell, there's very little published Realmslore about this strip between the Great Glacier and Anauroch. I'm interested in any details of this area and particularly what the settlements of Whitehorn and Ilinvur are like. Thanks as always!

Will Maranto

Representing the Realms in the Wilds of Northern Louisiana

Edited by - Athenon on 24 Oct 2007 19:53:22
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2007 :  18:13:43  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message
Ed,

I am not sure if you can answer this, but will there be any coverage of the continents of Kara-Tur, Zakhara, Maztica, Osse, Anchorome and/or Katashaka in the 4e FRCG?

Thanks,
Hawkins

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2007 :  21:23:36  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
I think Ed isn't the one to ask on that because none of them are "his' Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2007 :  01:48:34  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Well met, all!

Having just completed, blear-eyed and a bit shell-shocked, The Learning Company's 32 lecture course introducing opera (a darn fine course, too), I am burbling with questions which I know that Ed, with his prodigious knowledge of the vocal arts, will (okay: "may") be pleased to answer.

We know that "opera" exists in Sembia, but I have a lot of qquestions about it (now that I know which ones to ask!). Are opera divided between recitative and arias, or are they just speeches with musical interludes? Are the themes historical/religious/mythological opera seria,or are they opera buffa with "just plain folks" -- nobles and their servants, pompous professionals, etc. -- as are so many Waterdhavian plays? Do composers write their own libretti, or are there professional libretto writers (bards, perhaps)? Alluding once again to my favored topic of classical literature in Faerun, is there a stock of old plays which are considered particularly suited to operatic adaptation? (I think of the Mulhorandi "Passion Plays" as an example, or perhaps ancient Talfir bardic epics or song cycles, if anyone can still understand them without having levels in Loremaster!) Is Chondathan vowel-friendly and suited to melisma, or is consonant-heavy and requiring of a syllabic style, as German requires? Are melodies in Sembian operas symmetric (duple or triple, as in Western Europe) or asymmetric (as in Russian and other Slavic opera)? Is Sembian opera considered to be a "high brow," "low brow" or "noble" entertainment (or just popular for all)? Apropos of the recent questions regarding philosophy, are there competing theories of musical theory and philosophy regardining opera (and music generally)? Is ornamented ("Baroque" or coloratura) singing practised in Sembian opera? Are "white voices" used (legally or otherwise) as singers, and if so, are they used in sung religious services or staged plays or both? Do singers or musicians or conductors become celebrities in their own right, and if so, who are the most celebrated? Is opera spreading from Sembia outward (Chondathan is, after all, spoken in Cormyr and Waterdeep, both of which can afford to foot the bill for several opera companies, have they a mind to do so.) Finally, what are the economics of the opera business in Faerun: what does it cost to commision and to stage an opera, who gets paid how much, and what are typical ticket prices?

Thank you in advance for what I know will be a well-considered reply (or two or three!).

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2007 :  02:04:14  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
We should get a Question FAQ for Ed in the first post.

:-)

1. Try searching So Saith Ed for your stuff first or better yet, reading it.
2. No kara-tur, Maztica, etc stuff.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2007 :  02:08:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
There was a good bit of commentary on opera in Tymora's Luck, at the beginning of each section. It was all in-character, from a variety of characters (each written by the original author). Unfortunately, Fizban's quote wasn't used. But it's my fave of the lot!

quote:
"There is no greater fan of Opera than I! Opera is insightful! Opera explores the human condition! Opera's weight has fluctuated from time to time, but I think that is all part of the fun of watching her. Opera is a powerful force in media. I never miss a show even if the subject is "My dwarven lover hates that I'm an Elf, on the next Opera!" Opera may be an acquired taste (just like chicken) but I'll be her fan so long as her ratings are still good."--Fizban the Fabulous

And seriously, the opportunities to quote Fizban are simply too few!

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2007 :  02:12:06  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

There was a good bit of commentary on opera in Tymora's Luck, at the beginning of each section. It was all in-character, from a variety of characters (each written by the original author). Unfortunately, Fizban's quote wasn't used. But it's my fave of the lot!

quote:
"There is no greater fan of Opera than I! Opera is insightful! Opera explores the human condition! Opera's weight has fluctuated from time to time, but I think that is all part of the fun of watching her. Opera is a powerful force in media. I never miss a show even if the subject is "My dwarven lover hates that I'm an Elf, on the next Opera!" Opera may be an acquired taste (just like chicken) but I'll be her fan so long as her ratings are still good."--Fizban the Fabulous

And seriously, the opportunities to quote Fizban are simply too few!

That is funny.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2007 :  03:41:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Having just completed, blear-eyed and a bit shell-shocked, The Learning Company's 32 lecture course introducing opera (a darn fine course, too), I am burbling with questions which I know that Ed, with his prodigious knowledge of the vocal arts, will (okay: "may") be pleased to answer.
Oooh! These are fantastic questions Jamallo, and they touch upon a particular aspect of the Realms that's always close to my heart... as Ed knows from the many musical-related questions I've piled upon him in the past! His replies are going to be well worth the wait...

BTW, if you don't mind, I'd like to tack on one or two extra queries of my own? I just don't have time at the moment, though...

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2007 :  15:03:23  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
Ok, my wife jumped all over the "Gandalf is Gay" thing when it was announced. Now, she's harping that "Dumbledoor is Gay". So, before she stumbles over the name Elminster... is there any chance that we could convince Mr. Greenwood into writing some gratuitous sex scenes for Elminster <g>? I know we'd have to twist his arm and all, but I think for the "good of the realms" its necessary <g>. Oh, and Long Live Old El

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2007 :  16:44:21  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
You know, I've been teasingly asking for Elminster porn for YEARS . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2007 :  18:23:51  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

love,
THO
Oh, no no. Knowest not how to tease at all, my Hooded Lady. Ahem...
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2007 :  20:22:05  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
quote:

love,
THO

How Spin-A-Yarnish of you THO.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2007 :  20:39:17  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Oooh! These are fantastic questions Jamallo, and they touch upon a particular aspect of the Realms that's always close to my heart... as Ed knows from the many musical-related questions I've piled upon him in the past! His replies are going to be well worth the wait...

BTW, if you don't mind, I'd like to tack on one or two extra queries of my own? I just don't have time at the moment, though...

Thank you, Sage!

Please do add on extra questions. The course (How to Listen to and Understand Opera -- four parts with eight lectures per part) was a tremendous experience. I learned as much about opera in the past month as I had learned in a lifetime of listening to the Texaco Metropolitan Opera broadcasts (I'm dating myself -- ) and its fantastic "Opera Quiz" segment, and decades of listening to, first The Opera Shelf, and then its successor, The Opera Show. The best news? I checked it out for FREE from my local library!

I asked so many very detailed questions because I knew that Ed knows from music, and I thought that he'd get a kick of telling us detailed details of Faerunian music (and language and philosophy, too).

I eagerly await Ed's answers (which should come in about 2008 or early 2009, I know, but still... ).

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 25 Oct 2007 20:49:58
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2007 :  05:38:14  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
quote:

love,
THO

I confess, Ed has been teasing us with Elminster living as a woman (with all that it implies) plus Lhaeo/El jokes all the time (though in L's case, I think it's just humor). It wouldn't surprise me a bit to find out that he's Bi.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2007 :  16:18:51  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:

quote:

love,
THO

I confess, Ed has been teasing us with Elminster living as a woman (with all that it implies) plus Lhaeo/El jokes all the time (though in L's case, I think it's just humor). It wouldn't surprise me a bit to find out that he's Bi.

LOL, you know what's scary..... I almost would rather picture him into "bestiality" with a furry demoness with bat wings, fangs, snake eyes, spider legs, and a frog tongue.... before I ever picture him with Lhaeo. Yuck

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2007 :  16:41:08  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas
LOL, you know what's scary..... I almost would rather picture him into "bestiality" with a furry demoness with bat wings, fangs, snake eyes, spider legs, and a frog tongue.... before I ever picture him with Lhaeo. Yuck

I would prefer to picture him joining Alassra when she enjoy a lightning storm naked and flying
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2007 :  22:31:51  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
I give a quote from Fuji Goemon, Ronin of the Realms.

"If there is anything that would ever turn me off wanting to spend the night in the arms of a Daughter of Mystra it is the realization that Elminster was probably there first."

I asked how he felt about Kyriani of Waterdeep and Aleena Paladinstar.

"Just keep Khelben's nightly activities a secret, okay?"

Speaking of which, does Ed answer questions about Waterdeep's lasses and ladies as well as Cormyr.

Edited by - Charles Phipps on 26 Oct 2007 23:51:17
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000