Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2007 :  19:39:14  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello Ed and Hooded One,

Do witches exist in your Faerun, the spirit speaking/bonding, hex and curse throwing type of witch, I wish to incorporate one into my story but want to find out first if you used them and if so what manner did they utilize their powers. Like through totems, alters, cauldrons and such, blooding, etc.........

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2007 :  19:53:22  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Hello Ed and Hooded One,

Do witches exist in your Faerun, the spirit speaking/bonding, hex and curse throwing type of witch, I wish to incorporate one into my story but want to find out first if you used them and if so what manner did they utilize their powers. Like through totems, alters, cauldrons and such, blooding, etc.........

Thanks

The closest thing that I can think of in Realmslore is the Mystic class from 2e that's in Faiths & Avatars. It's a divine caster that uses potions, ointments, and candles.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
561 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2007 :  20:50:21  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message
Ed & THO

I thought that I'd take a different stab at things... Generally, we lob questions, and you answer those that attract your attention/make it past NDA shields.

My question is: What things are currently covered by NDA's?

This way we can avoid those things and focus on questions more apt to be answered.

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30084 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2007 :  21:44:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by WalkerNinja

Ed & THO

I thought that I'd take a different stab at things... Generally, we lob questions, and you answer those that attract your attention/make it past NDA shields.

My question is: What things are currently covered by NDA's?

This way we can avoid those things and focus on questions more apt to be answered.

To borrow part of the lovely Hooded One's 22 February 2006 reply:

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Sometimes even admitting that he’s keeping quiet will tip off Realms fans about something in the future that shouldn’t be revealed yet.

So don't be surprised if he can't give too much of a list.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2007 :  23:33:00  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Ed is at a conference, and sat down at a computer and read this thread at Candlekeep, and then sent me this e-mail:

WalkerNinja,
Of course I can provide such a list. Here it is:
1. All matters and topics pertinent (or possibly pertinent) to planned future, or written but not yet published, or licensed but not yet activated, FR products.
2. Same as above.
3. Same as above.
4. Same as . . . and so on.
Sorry, but all joking aside, I am legally bound, and there are good reasons for NDAs, for any company dealing in Intellectual Properties. It's just a condition of my working life, and certainly governs all my postings here via THO.
Ed

So saith Ed. And there you have it; just what I expected. If Ed reveals lists of specific NDAs, it can very easily reveal an overall pattern of not just specific future products, but entire product lines or product directions. Definitely a no-no. If pressed, Ed will simply have to fall silent; he's a man of his word, and lives by the agreements he makes.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 09 Jan 2007 00:17:56
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1144 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2007 :  00:15:48  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
I hate to ask but does anyone know the page that the Stonelands barony answer was given on. I've gone through 40 pages already of the last one.

:sigh:

:-)

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4856 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2007 :  00:23:50  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Hey Ed (and THO), due to a house move and current lack of internet, I can't just drop you a line re this query but I thought that the scribes here at Candlekeep may be interested in your response. So here's the query:

What can you tell us about Nesker, the Sorceror King of Mulmaster?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2007 :  00:27:57  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

I hate to ask but does anyone know the page that the Stonelands barony answer was given on. I've gone through 40 pages already of the last one.

:sigh:

:-)

August 22nd 2006 or page 56.

If you didn't know, I have a Table of Context/Index for each year for my HTML/PDF versions that are stored here on Candlekeep on the main site.

Links are in my sig.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 09 Jan 2007 00:31:33
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1144 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2007 :  01:12:01  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
Well third times a charm, and let's hope Ed can find the time to answer this one since I have NOOOooooo idea how to answer this one when my player introduced it.

What would be the requirements of someone to genuinely pay court to Alusair for a potential husband as opposed to just another of her many consorts (which doesn't seem that difficult)?

The players are heroes in Cormyr even as I'm considering helping the need along for a royal match with poor King Azoun the Fifth, ill fated boy that he seems to be (Gods help whomever is successfully in ending his young life)

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2007 :  04:33:31  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
Ed,

I'm curious about something. :)

Has any dracolich ever turned into a dragon form of a demilich? So, I guess it would be a demi-dracolich.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2007 :  07:10:02  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, scribes. This time, Ed answers Sage of Stars, re. this end-of-year 06 query: “I'd like to thank Ed and THO for another year of answering Realmslore questions for us all. It must eat up a fair amount of time; and for Ed that's writing time, and so, money out of his pocket.
So, of course, I'd like to cost him some more.
In Cormyr, Sembia, Amn, and Tethyr: do swordsmiths and armorers need "special" licenses or permits from the authorities? Do shops selling secondhand or imported weapons or armor need them?
By "special," I'm really asking: do the governments of these lands seek to specifically control or limit supplies of such goods?
Thank you in advance!”
Ed replies:

Yes, it does, and you’re all very welcome; I don’t mind in the slightest. Goes with the territory (of creating a properly-detailed fantasy world setting; the detailing is NEVER done).
In all four of the lands you mention, the authorities require special permits for both the makers and the shops, but only in Cormyr and certain Tethyrian duchies have any of these ever been used to overtly control weapon supplies. The permits are for government taxation purposes (and they tend to tax those who deal in war materials highly).
There are of course guilds in all of those places except Sembia, that further limit “who’s in the business” (though the reach of guilds is patchy in Tethyr and urban-areas-only in Amn). Most governments negotiate with guilds almost constantly on trade matters, and thus influence weapon and armor supplies almost constantly.
Moreover, Amn has other means (covert agents of the government) of limiting and controlling flows and supplies of weapons and armors within its borders (I’m of course excluding all monster-held areas, here).

So saith Ed. Who does think about all of this stuff; implications are meat and drink to him (along with all the stuff that actually makes his belly bulge).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1144 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2007 :  07:42:22  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
And for a completely random question.

Did Azoun have a will? Was there anything left to his rather extensive spawn?

Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
561 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2007 :  13:34:10  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

If pressed, Ed will simply have to fall silent; he's a man of his word, and lives by the agreements he makes.

Wasn't meaning to press. I just thought that we could save some time. Did not mean to offend. Sorry.

Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2007 :  00:15:39  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

And for a completely random question.

Did Azoun have a will? Was there anything left to his rather extensive spawn?

You know, I work in my county's Surrogate's Office (where we probate wills, handle administrations, and so forth), and I've actually wondered about what wills are like in the Forgotten Realms, and how similar they are to our own...and what the wills of certain characters would be like (including Azoun).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 10 Jan 2007 00:16:05
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1144 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2007 :  00:24:48  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
Yes, some will info would be lovely in general though I meant specific.

I can imagine given some of the Realms events that plenty of interesting will sessions could be read.

Elminster has seemed to have died so often that I imagine that he uses it solely to clean out his Hut of Junk.

I also assume there's an equivalent of "Do not ressurect" in some wills. I further wonder if one loses all property on death even if one is resurrected ;-)

(Hopefully, relatives will be nice enough to give it back)

Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2007 :  01:52:49  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage  Click to see Neriandal Freit's MSN Messenger address Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
THO! I've got a question for you that I was asked at work by one of the Head Cashiers I'm good friends with. Thought I would ask you the same, we all do wonder from time to time...

Top or bottom?

Please, be have ;)

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2007 :  01:58:02  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Neriandal Freit

THO! I've got a question for you that I was asked at work by one of the Head Cashiers I'm good friends with. Thought I would ask you the same, we all do wonder from time to time...

Top or bottom?

Please, be have ;)

Thats a rather risque question to ask and its probably borderline inapporiate

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2007 :  02:04:13  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
I agree.

Neriandal, you may want to consider re-phrasing that particular question to something that would be a little more appropriate for a forum such as Candlekeep.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2007 :  02:06:32  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:
Originally posted by Neriandal Freit

Top or bottom?

Please, be have ;)

Thats a rather risque question to ask and its probably borderline inapporiate

I dunno, I thought it was funny. :) Shrug, THO has said stuff like that on here, many times. I dunno, I get the feeling that it won't insult her or Ed.

Edited by - Kuje on 10 Jan 2007 02:14:37
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2007 :  02:09:40  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
Well, if Ed and/or THO want to discuss it, that's fine for me, I suppose.

Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2007 :  02:11:05  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage  Click to see Neriandal Freit's MSN Messenger address Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
I don't see what's wrong with it. I didn't mean it in any certain way, and I did say "Please, be have ;)" if you hadn't noticed.

This is the way the question was asked to me, and I'm asking it to someone who I think would find it amusing and also answer truthfully, in any certain way she sees fit.

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2007 :  02:16:54  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
Fair enough.

I'll leave the final decision to either Ed and/or THO.

Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
561 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2007 :  03:29:38  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message
The Sage, however, will NOT entertain such a question... It would impinge upon his "sageness."

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2007 :  03:38:08  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
Eh. The Lady K knows how I feel about that.

-- And Ed, I've got an additional music question coming -- though, I'm waiting to hear back from a "certain someone" (in case he happens to be reading this ) first before I reply back to you.

Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2007 :  04:08:40  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Perhaps it would be appropriate if Neriandal and his friend first shared their "top or bottom" preference too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000