Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2007 :  04:24:56  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message
Hope mine goes soon....may be a bit before I can get back to the forums!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2007 :  16:52:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ask and ye shall receive (ahem, as has been said before).
Hello again, fellow scribes. This time Ed tackles one of those thorny questions of faith, as posed by Ethriel and amplified by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin, as follows:
Ethriel: “Here's a question: Is every last soul that doesn't have a faith simply doomed no matter what? Including children that die before they can embrace a deity? In one short story, a mother commits suicide to save her child on the Fugue Plane, is the kid done for anyways? Later on, another kid dies and finds himself on the Fugue Plane without God's guidance, ending with him walking off with the kid...are we to expect a 'and they burned in hell' coda?
Also, how about Zaknafein in the Drizzt books, since he's apparently at peace in a 'better place?'
Is there light that can be shed?”
and:
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin: “I just want to comment that this subject greatly interests me as well...and comes very close to certain real-world beliefs about what happens when innocent children die before being inducted into a particular religious faith.”
Ed replies:

Firstly: I cannot comment on Zak; that’s a question for Bob to answer in his own way, at a time of his choosing.
Secondly: please remember there’s no “God’s guidance” in the Realms in a singular sense; the Realms has many gods, not One. Nor does the Christian, Jewish, Zoroastrian, etc. “burn in hell” coda to be expected or necessarily follows.
Thirdly: No soul is doomed through an inability to make choices, only by the choices that soul has made.
In other words, innocents do not have a single predetermined fate (despite the propaganda of some Faerûnian sages and churches; i.e. what you may have read in various published adventures or sourcebooks).
There are (obviously) many gaps in the knowledge folk of Faerûn have of their own cosmology, and even more in what we gamers and readers know of it; there are errors and omissions in the published canon (and NOTHING is eternal, as the changing divine roster and multiverse views prove).
I cannot (NDAs again) close all those gaps, clean up all the fuzzy bits, and Reveal All, here or in print anywhere soon. So you’ll just have to trust me when I say that all souls have fates, mortals cannot yet know all of those fates nor reliably know what fate a specific innocent soul will end up experiencing. So whatever a DM decides, holds true for that campaign and that soul - - but any wise DM will discuss religious beliefs with all of his/her players beforehand, and establish the “comfortable for all” ground rules. This is definitely a place where the game should be tailored to each group of gamers. I have never been a fan of either predestiny or absolutes - - and if you examine the D&D rules carefully and dispassionately, throughout all their editions, neither is the game system. It embraces concepts of good and evil, of achievement and teamwork, of ethical and religious belief and system, but it is posited on player characters having freedom in their actions (hence, “beating” predestination), and having to make life choices continually (arguing against absolutes).
This “wiggle room” or “elbow room” is the space we all need to tell stories and have adventures.

So saith Ed. In yet another classic reply. I’m very glad he never wanted to go into politics except on the local, “fix this problem or injustice” level; we might never have had the Realms . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2007 :  19:45:15  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

No, Toril is not (and never was) a moon. But (though NDAs prevent me from saying one word more on this), I remind scribes that the name is Abeir-Toril, and for the last few decades, all we've seen is Toril. Hint. Hint.
love,
THO

Ho ho! I was thinking of posting a query about that name, "Abeir-Toril." Jeff Grubb (?) posted elsewhere that the name means something like "Cradle of Life." Is there more to this name than meets the ear?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2007 :  22:39:04  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Ed, THO, Fellow Scribes,

What are most most commonly kept pets in the realms? (I'm sure with all those hungry monsters and people out there dogs and cats are not the likely "average household pet")
If you can provide some different region by region information I'd certainly be appreciative. If I've somehow missed an older thread dedicated to this subject please point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Rolindin
Acolyte

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2007 :  23:37:10  Show Profile  Visit Rolindin's Homepage Send Rolindin a Private Message
frist I wouls like to thank MR. greewod for his answer on the company banners.
Another question that came to me was this for MR Greenwod.
I know in the novel Crusade that the medal for fighting for the king were giveing out and the wear of such medals were treded with more respect in Corymr.
The question is this to Mr. Greenwood: The metal such as the one given to Razor Jon, just what other kind of things happen to show respect to a wear of a campain medal, What kind of treatment beside what I read in the book do they recieve.

And does each city , town have a vetrain day of sorts for such people who wear campain metals. With a parades, and other events; for them?

Edited by - Rolindin on 12 Jan 2007 23:39:40
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2007 :  23:39:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

quote:

No, Toril is not (and never was) a moon. But (though NDAs prevent me from saying one word more on this), I remind scribes that the name is Abeir-Toril, and for the last few decades, all we've seen is Toril. Hint. Hint.
love,
THO

Ho ho! I was thinking of posting a query about that name, "Abeir-Toril." Jeff Grubb (?) posted elsewhere that the name means something like "Cradle of Life." Is there more to this name than meets the ear?

Jeff's comment comes from the DL3e.com article Kentinal provided the URL to back on pg. 2. Specifically, he says "I remember mentioning elsewhere that the Abeir-Toril title means "cradle of life" in an archaic tongue. While I never stated which was which, I always assumed that "toril" was the word for life and "abeir" was the word for originator, cradle, or home."

And it's been repeated throughout the editions of the FRCS.

Also, Jamallo, the THO and myself discussed a little more about what Abeir-Toril means further down on pg. 2. You may want to look over the few details that were referenced.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 12 Jan 2007 23:46:30
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2007 :  01:34:28  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
I have never been a fan of either predestiny or absolutes - - and if you examine the D&D rules carefully and dispassionately, throughout all their editions, neither is the game system. It embraces concepts of good and evil, of achievement and teamwork, of ethical and religious belief and system, but it is posited on player characters having freedom in their actions (hence, “beating” predestination), and having to make life choices continually (arguing against absolutes).
This “wiggle room” or “elbow room” is the space we all need to tell stories and have adventures.

So saith Ed. In yet another classic reply. I’m very glad he never wanted to go into politics except on the local, “fix this problem or injustice” level; we might never have had the Realms . . .
love to all,
THO

Yes it was a great reply--thank you. I'm not a fan of predetermination myself, so I'm relieved that it need not be in the Realms.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2007 :  15:29:02  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, everyone. Ed continues to deal with short, easily-answered recent queries, this time turning to Malcolm’s query: “Dear Ed and THO,
Mention of the Heralds made me wonder: do actors putting together costumes, assassins and thieving guilds making up disguises, etc. run into problems with the Heralds?
If an actor playing Azoun IV (in a theater in Westgate or Sembia, where the authorities wouldn’t mind an unflattering portrayal of Obarskyr kings at all) uses the royal arms to tell the audience he’s pretending to be King Azoun, is that a Heralds’ “no-no”? Or a tolerated exception?”
Ed replies:

It’s a tolerated exception, on a stage, or in a tavern taproom or inn common-room, wherein costumes and minicry (the satirical social comment of the day) is perfectly allowed (i.e. ignored by the Heralds) for actors, bards, minstrels, and just plain folks.
What worries the Heralds is deliberate, intended-to-fool-an-audience deception (someone writing a letter purporting to be the king, or trying to give orders whilst passing himself off as a knight, noble, or monarch).
Assassins and thieves are by nature ‘in trouble’ with the Heralds but usually don’t care a whit about being so; actors are indeed “tolerated exceptions.”

So saith Ed, Creator of the Heralds and King Azoun (and Cormyr and Westgate, too).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2007 :  19:30:49  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I'd say probably some of Oghma's clergy would do that, Jamallo.

Ah, yes. The "Leaves of Learning" web enhancement has something about the Oghmanytes. But are there others?

I just recalled that the principal characters in one of Mel Odom's books (The Nether Scroll?) were knowledge seekers, but largely unorganized (except for the Big Bad, whose outfit was VERY well-organized).

Perhaps to clarify my question, I should point to some real world examples of what I mean: the Royal Society, the Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago, and the Cousteau and Leakey families (and the Darwins and the Huxleys, for that matter!). The Harpells are undoubtedly the family for magical research in the Realms (pace, Maskar Wands!), but I am not thinking in terms of current spell research.

There's no great rush for this answer. It'll be several months before my players will need to know this information.

================

Since I am now a "Senior Scribe," will my superiors please permit me to offer a suggestion to those who are asking questions of Ed and other authors? I have promised my players that if I don't know the answer to one of their questions, I shall try to find out, even by asking the relevant author, if necessary. I encourage them to ask such questions as soon as they occur to them because it may take months for Ed or some of the other authors to answer a question. Admitedly, when some writers are between projects they can give a one-day turnaround on a question, but I advise my players to ask about crucial Realmslore matters at least three or four months before their characters will actually need to know the answer. One of my players wanted to become an Ur-priest, and told him that he would have to wait until I received a ruling from Ed as to whether or not there even are any Ur-priests in the Realms (there aren't!); it took Ed three months to answer, but by that time the character was well-established, and the options to "real" Ur-priests which Ed presented were well within the (ahem) realm of possibility for that character.

Moral: ask questions LONG BEFORE you need to know the answer; you will almost certainly receive an answer, but it might be a while before you get it. Try to anticipate in advance what strange questions may occur by plotting the geographical path which your characters are currently taking across the Realms and look up the lore on those areas before the characters arrive. Then you will have time to ask any questions which you have or which you think your characters may ask. It will be weeks or months before my players run across any "anti-Olin Gisiae" and I've asked Ed now so that I will be ready for any questions which the players may have at that time. I received my answer about bombards about a month ago, and it will be another month or two before the PCs actually encounter any bombards, Thayan or otherwise .... I can hardly wait ... mwaahahahaha .... er ... uh ... yes.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2007 :  19:44:00  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

Ask and ye shall receive (ahem, as has been said before).
Hello again, fellow scribes. This time Ed tackles one of those thorny questions of faith, as posed by Ethriel and amplified by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin, as follows:

(snip)

I may have missed the answer to a question on religion which I posed over a year ago, but I shall endeavour to rephrase it in Deities & Demigods terms in the hopes that Ed may answer it without any RW issues intruding: If a devout out-of-Realmspace wizard from a strictly monotheistic culture dies within Realmspace, what becomes of his soul? Does Mystra take it because he was a magic-user, or is he condemned as Faithless? If there is a process to remove such souls to the planes where their own deities reside, who undertakes it? Are there Celestials not committed to any of the Realms deities who come and go freely through the planes with the souls of such "petitioners"?

Having just urged others to be patient with their questions, I recall that I don't remember reading an answer to my long-ago question about that black "curtain" across Yellow Snake Pass during the Time of Troubles. What was it, what happened to things (or people) who passed through it, and is it still there? (The answer may be in the Avatar Trilogy game supplements, but I don't have those -- just the novels.) If Ed answered this, will someone please point me to the answer. I've been wondering about that thing since I first read about it, two years ago! Maybe it was NDA and I just skimmed over the reply, but I sure would like to know about it.

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2007 :  20:56:01  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
Dear THO/Ed,

I'm not sure if you have started playing with the 3.5 rules or not (I think I saw a post stating your group has voted to continue with 2nd edition), but I thought I'd bring your attention to the Ultimate Magus prestige class found in the recent 'Complete Arcane' book, pages 77 through 81.

It is of my opinion that this prestige class could be a very authentic medium to represent the Simbul in 3.5 game terms. The class augments both wizard and sorcerer spellcasting power simultaneously, at each level, and would give the Simbul the 'Omph!' she's desperately lacking with her current Epic Level Handbook incarnation.

Happy New Year to both of ye, if I haven't said so yet!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2007 :  23:47:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

quote:

I'd say probably some of Oghma's clergy would do that, Jamallo.

Ah, yes. The "Leaves of Learning" web enhancement has something about the Oghmanytes.
Which is located here:- http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/we/we20020529a

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2007 :  00:02:59  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
quote:

I may have missed the answer to a question on religion which I posed over a year ago, but I shall endeavour to rephrase it in Deities & Demigods terms in the hopes that Ed may answer it without any RW issues intruding: If a devout out-of-Realmspace wizard from a strictly monotheistic culture dies within Realmspace, what becomes of his soul? Does Mystra take it because he was a magic-user, or is he condemned as Faithless? If there is a process to remove such souls to the planes where their own deities reside, who undertakes it? Are there Celestials not committed to any of the Realms deities who come and go freely through the planes with the souls of such "petitioners"?

If I may?

I think Ed's take on the answer a couple of pages ago was that people are judged on their deeds and choices in the Realms and aren't going to be screwed because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time or because they forgot to burn x-incense at the wrong time. I.e. Dragonbait the Paladin will probably either be delivered to his God after awhile or choose to stay in Tyr's blessed realm despite being in much the same position your guy is in.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2007 :  03:38:37  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Exactly, Charles. Well said. (Ed, of course, will reply on this, too, in the fullness of time.)
Well, hi, all!
I bring you another lore answer from Ed, this time to WalkerNinja’s question: “Are the three major families of Melvaunt significantly invested in Melvauntan real-estate? If so, what percentage is owned by them?”
Ed replies:

They are indeed, and although percentages change over time, their expansion as landlords was sharply curtailed about a decade ago when local shopkeepers started allying with outlander investors to thwart loan foreclosures and to outbid the “True Masters” (as folk of Melvaunt took to calling the Nanthers, Leiyraghons, and Bruils). This secretly relieved the Leiyraghons and Bruils, who’d been bleeding themselves white trying to keep up with the Nanthers - - and very much relieved independent landowners all over the city, who feared being squeezed out of their own city, particularly after the Nanthers started using beatings and arson (via hired agents hired by other agents rather than directly, of course) to “persuade” landowners to sell, rather than their former tactic of just offering so much coin that only a fool would refuse (though a greater fool would accept and then try to continue living in Melvaunt, without expecting another agent of the Nanthers to come along and try to steal or coerce the money right back out of their coffers).
So for the last eight to ten years things have been rather stable, and are as follows (SHOP means percentage of shops and retail spaces; WARE means percentage of warehouse, shipping, and goods storage cellars; PH means private housing space, not including rental rooms above shops, which are included under SHOP; in all cases, we’re speaking only of property within the walls of Melvaunt):
Nanther: SHOP 49, WARE 56, PH 31
Leiyraghon: SHOP 27, WARE 21, PH 12
Bruil: SHOP 19, WARE 11, PH 16

So saith Ed, Creator of Melvaunt, and there you have it. The City of Swords is a tense place, as you might imagine.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2007 :  19:47:23  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message
Wow! Thanks!

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2007 :  23:26:41  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Ed,

Could you give us an idea of what real estate would cost in the Realms? I realize this will vary greatly, but any examples you might offer would be great.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2007 :  23:28:40  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn

Ed,

Could you give us an idea of what real estate would cost in the Realms? I realize this will vary greatly, but any examples you might offer would be great.

Thanks

Not sure if this is what you are after but Steven put this online many years ago for Waterdeep.

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/2566/ss-buildings.htm

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2007 :  23:31:53  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Ed,

Thanks

Not sure if this is what you are after but Steven put this online many years ago for Waterdeep.

Kuje sir, you rock. That was exactly what I was looking for!

Thanks man.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2007 :  23:42:53  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:

Kuje sir, you rock. That was exactly what I was looking for!

Thanks man.

No prob. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2007 :  00:42:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Ed,

Thanks

::cough::

I could have sworn I answered this over at WotC a short while back.

::cough::

Edited by - The Sage on 15 Jan 2007 00:42:57
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2007 :  14:35:09  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message
quote:

Ed,

Thanks

Wow that's a broad question. I think that this is probably very similar to the real world. The primary factor would be LOCATION. You can by a lot for multi millions in Miami or New York, or multiple acres in West Texas for under a thousand in West Texas.

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2007 :  16:10:05  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. I bring you this time Ed’s response to a question from Thangorn: “Greetings Ed & THO, I trust the creation of new facets of the realms is coming along smoothly. Further to my question regarding Zhentish "nobility" I wanted to ask you a quick question about Storm Silverhand.
When you think about Storm's musical abilities and what she actually might sound like when performing are there any real life contemporaries/parallels that come to mind? Thanks”
Ed replies:

I love this question, though answering it properly has been (as you’ll read) something of a struggle for me.
Storm has a deep, rich voice. She lacks the “shrieking edge” that, say, Loreena McKennitt or Maddy Prior achieve all too often, or Sinead O’Connor or Candice Night (of Blackmore’s Night) take on when “pushing” their voices, but her harping is often similar to McKennitt’s. Her lute-work is close to Paul O’Dette (as on ROBIN IS TO THE GREENWOOD GONE).
Her voice tends to be gentle and clear (like much of Enya’s singing), though again, lower-pitched than Enya. About the pitch of Chrissy Hyde’s singing voice (at least in her lowest passages on the “unplugged” live version of “Chain Gang”), but Storm has a richer, fuller voice than hers.
Actually, Gordon Lightfoot in his prime had a pitch that’s “pretty close” for Storm, but of course a different (male) vocal quality.
Many alto opera singers have the pitch I’m trying to describe, but of course have trained, full, “finished” voices, and I’m trying to convey that Storm instead has a soft, smooth, clear, usually gentle voice (“Enya delivery,” I’ve heard it called). When I try to describe it in terms of popular singers, I’m trying to avoid people who become shrill when they go up in pitch (something you’ll hear in everyone from Joni Mitchell through Buffy and Baez to Carole King) and also trying to avoid the “whiskey ’n’ cigarettes” roughness of many black female blues vocalists, from, say, Bessie Smith on.
Storm can also mimic the voices of others, as well as birdcalls, trumpets, and so on, and often works these effects into her performances. So she CAN sound like a trilling bird or a breathy little girl when she wants to.
I’ll keep searching for performances I think capture the vocal quaity I’m trying to describe, and post it via THO when I find them.

So saith Ed. I’ve heard some of this before (before his throat surgery, Ed was an accomplished choral singer, and could and often did imitate Storm and other NPCs singing; since then, he mainly describes them).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2007 :  17:18:14  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Rather than quoting Ed's long Storm reply, I am referring to it.

As a guitar player who has dedicated a moderate amount of time and effort into the instrument over the last 15 years, I cannot even begin to imagine how talented and skillful Storm, or for that matter any of the long lived races might be when it comes to a such a skill. I'd think she would make the likes of Joe Satrani, Chet Atkins, or Michael Hedges (different genre I know, but still musicians of incredible skill) look like near novices. I bet playing elven music is at times near impossible for humans due to the fact they haven't spent the last 300 years practicing that 25 minute solo....

Thanks for turing me on to Paul O’Dette Ed, I rather enjoy his lute work.

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 15 Jan 2007 17:21:41
Go to Top of Page

Kou_Ayshane
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2007 :  23:01:22  Show Profile  Visit Kou_Ayshane's Homepage Send Kou_Ayshane a Private Message
Hey Ed, THO. I've been reading this forum for a little over a year now and am just finnaly getting back into RP'ing... so please forgive me when I do this but I'm sneaking three questions in one that are kinda important to my new campaign (My players are wanting to keep as close to the canon realms as possible, so this and your vast memory of realmslore have saved my proverbial ass).

1.) The first one is short and sweet... Kara-Tur... WTF? Anything coming down range?

2.) In the canon, Tiamat is now apart of the Faerunian pantheon... proving that there can be cross-pantheon deification. Are there any other gods looking to acquire some portfolios? (Namely, if I would venture a guess, Bahamut?)

3.) One of my players wants to play a Quarter-Bronze-Dragon-Lightning Genasi. (Although I'm about || yay close to telling him no to save me the headache.) His general idea is that the lightning affinity of the Genasi and the lighting breath of the dragon would mix well with enough of a level adjustment.(We're playing 3.5) ...Anyway, the question is, in Realmslore, are there Quasi- and Para-Genasi in the Realms and if so, where would Lightning Genasi most likely dwell?

Sorry again about the length of the post, but well, meh... that just means I'll have to wait three times as long.

Thank you for having your affinity for fantasy fiction and creating such an addictive and creative world.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2007 :  23:37:23  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kou_Ayshane

Hey Ed, THO. I've been reading this forum for a little over a year now and am just finnaly getting back into RP'ing... so please forgive me when I do this but I'm sneaking three questions in one that are kinda important to my new campaign (My players are wanting to keep as close to the canon realms as possible, so this and your vast memory of realmslore have saved my proverbial ass).

1.) The first one is short and sweet... Kara-Tur... WTF? Anything coming down range?

2.) In the canon, Tiamat is now apart of the Faerunian pantheon... proving that there can be cross-pantheon deification. Are there any other gods looking to acquire some portfolios? (Namely, if I would venture a guess, Bahamut?)

3.) One of my players wants to play a Quarter-Bronze-Dragon-Lightning Genasi. (Although I'm about || yay close to telling him no to save me the headache.) His general idea is that the lightning affinity of the Genasi and the lighting breath of the dragon would mix well with enough of a level adjustment.(We're playing 3.5) ...Anyway, the question is, in Realmslore, are there Quasi- and Para-Genasi in the Realms and if so, where would Lightning Genasi most likely dwell?

Sorry again about the length of the post, but well, meh... that just means I'll have to wait three times as long.

Thank you for having your affinity for fantasy fiction and creating such an addictive and creative world.

You might want to check out the bloodline idea in Unearthed Arcana for number 3
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2007 :  23:42:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I'm not Ed, but I can partially tackle this one...
quote:
Originally posted by Kou_Ayshane

Given WotC's "Realms-centric" focus over the core publishing period of 3e FR, it seems unlikely that Kara-Tur will feature prominently in the Realmslore.

For the most part, it seems like its being left to future DRAGON articles and the odd occasional references in sourcebooks and novel to carry forward any lore about Kara-Tur -- such as The Yellow Silk.

Elements of Kara-Tur received a 3e update back in Jan. 04, in DRAGON #315. And a couple of regions in Kara-Tur also received a brief nod in "The Horde" article of DRAGON #349 and its associated PDF supplement from paizo.com:- http://paizo.com/dragonissues/349/DR349_Supplement.pdf

Edited by - The Sage on 15 Jan 2007 23:46:09
Go to Top of Page

Thangorn
Seeker

New Zealand
84 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2007 :  00:25:53  Show Profile Send Thangorn a Private Message
Thanks very much Ed and THO,

Thats going to be extremely helpful for my mood music choices in my home pnp campaign. One of the PCs in my campaign really wants to meet Storm Silverhand (we're based in Shadowdale right now) so I want to make sure the experience is a truly memorable one...

well met, axes high and all that :)

- Thangs

Ex-A Land Far Away (ALFA) DM/Builder

Faerunian Canon Despot
Go to Top of Page

Gareth Yaztromo
Acolyte

Australia
37 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2007 :  01:50:39  Show Profile  Visit Gareth Yaztromo's Homepage Send Gareth Yaztromo a Private Message
Ed, will there be a Mirt, Durnan etc trilogy/series when they were young?

"Gereth Yaztromo is arguably the most famous wizard of Allansia due to his part in a number of the most well known sagas of that region from the third century AC. He is also known as one of the three Star Pupils of the Grand Wizard of Yore.."
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2007 :  01:52:20  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. This time I bring an answer from Ed to Charles Phipps, re. this query (which Ed loved, by the way): “Well, third time’s a charm, and let's hope Ed can find the time to answer this one since I have NOOOooooo idea how to answer this one when my player introduced it.
What would be the requirements of someone to genuinely pay court to Alusair for a potential husband as opposed to just another of her many consorts (which doesn't seem that difficult)?
The players are heroes in Cormyr even as I'm considering helping the need along for a royal match with poor King Azoun the Fifth, ill-fated boy that he seems to be (Gods help whomever is successfully in ending his young life)”
Ed replies:

I’m going to begin by assuming that in your Realms campaign, Alusair is Steel Regent, Filfaeril is the Dowager Dragon Queen, and the infant Azoun the Fifth is alive and well. I am further assuming that the suitor is a human male (non-humans or half-breeds are another can of worms entirely, as would be a same-gender or multiple-partners union).
The first requirement to be a genuine suitor for Alusair is to meet with her approval. She’s a VERY shrewd judge of self-interested manipulators, can and has taken her sexual fill of almost anyone she wants, when she wants (yes, both male and female, though she vastly prefers the lads), has been taught very well by her parents and Vangerdahast as to Cormyrean law, lore, and where skeletons are buried or in closets realm-wide. She is very strong-minded, and will marry no one she doesn’t want to. (In MY Realms campaign, she’ll probably never marry, and certainly not while still Regent.) In short, she isn’t “burning to be loved or cherished,” and won’t easily fall for anyone.
The second requirement to be a suitor with any hope of success is suitability for the realm. Alusair is NOT going to go for a Sembian (Cormyr sees Sembia as trying to take it over, and the people would definitely see such a union as a way to do this) or a powerful arcane spellcaster (the commoners are already a little unhappy about the War Wizards in general and Vangerdahast in particular, like Caladnei because she’s young and not seen as anything like Vangey’s match in magical power or love of scheming; they would see any powerful wizard or sorcerer suitor as someone who’ll use magic to control Alusair, and turn the kingdom into a tyranny). Powerful priests are “out” for the same reason; the realm has long resisted a state religion or any dominant role of one faith, preferring the secular leadership of the Crown, enforced by the Purple Dragons bolstered by the necessary evil of the War Wizards, because they see every Dragon as “one of us.”
In like manner, a blood member of one of the major noble families is also unacceptable, because of the very real fear of civil war: advance one noble family (plus its noble allies; more will quickly leap onto the bandwagon) over the others, and pretenders to the throne will pop up all over the realm, thrust forward by ambitious nobles (it’s a regency, remember, with over a hundred known bastards of Azoun in every noble family and many common-born ones, too). A minor noble heritage - - as long as the individual is clearly NOT a bastard of Azoun (because if he is, we’ll be plunged back into the “well, our bastard is just as good as your bastard, and probably better” - - bolstered by the fact that Alusair is unlikely to “go for” the oldest of her father’s bastards, given that they’re much her senior in age, which means her chosen one will have a lesser, junior claim to the Dragon Throne than many of the rival claimants) WOULD be acceptable, but even then risks the “dark danger” of civil strife, because outcast noble families in Westgate and elsewhere, Inner Sea pirates who want freedom to operate, and Sembian interests who want to see Cormyr go down or be conquered by them, will all see a lovely opportunity to sponsor rebellions or at least rival claimants, whispering to, and working through, noble families of Cormyr they trade with daily (promising THEM the throne, if the bid succeeds).
Alaphondar, the Highknights, the War Wizards, and all of the Obarskyrs know this danger very well, and Alusair has been raised to be ever-wary of it; she’s NOT going to imperil her realm because of any potential mate. So the only “acceptable” sort of nobility, in her eyes (and those of the realm, though the nobles will sneer) is a commoner - - yes, even an adventurer - - raised to the nobility for their service to Cormyr. An outlander adventurer with a “respectable” past (nobility or wealth) would be ideal, so long as they’re from some place too far away (such as Waterdeep) to be seen as gaining a dangerous claim to Cormyr through the marriage. (Amn WOULD be seen as a danger, as it’s large, ambitious, trades extensively with Cormyr, and has long wanted an “arm touching the Inner Sea.”)
Finally, folk from Thay or Zhentil Keep or Calimshan haven’t much hope: the former two places are seen as corrupted by the Red Wizards and Zhentarim (so any representative “must” be a spy or tool of those evil organizations, who want to enslave - - and experiment on - - us all), and there’s sufficient racism in Cormyr against Calishites (“they’re all slavers, aren’t they?”) to make them truly unpopular in any position of power.
The third requirement for suitors is a clean local past: since arriving in Cormyr, has the individual publicly butchered any “just plain folks” (law-abiding Cormyreans who aren’t running amok with weapons, or nobles scheming against the Crown, or agents of the Zhents or other outlander sinister powers)? Have they spoken out against guilds or nobles or Crown laws or institutions? Have they worked too closely with one noble house (especially of Arabel or Marsember)? Have they demonstrated a brutal, mad, or disloyal to Cormyr personal character? Cormyreans admire those who stand up for themselves, or for justice (as opposed to “blindly-applied law” or “nobles throwing their weight in coins around”), but they are wary of tyrants and all who consider themselves “better than the next man.” They will also mistrust anyone who’s made a living by thievery.
Then, of course, matters will proceed according to the performance of the would-be suitor: how does he approach Alusair? Does he anger key courtiers, or make enemies of powerful nobles? Can nobles manipulate him into blunders? Does he do anything that can be seen as seeking Alusair’s hand for personal gain?
This could be a great long-term, ongoing roleplaying opportunity. Alusair is independent and likes her freedom; she won’t mind a marriage to someone who will be a good, loyal war-leader for the realm, her trusted eyes when she has to be elsewhere, and who isn’t so submissive as to bore her, but does give way to her doing just as she pleases in matters of bedding partners she chooses, maintaining her close friendships with “her lords” (the young male nobles she’s always ridden with, and latterly commanded). Does her suitor want her to bear his children? Will he agree beforehand to a morganatic marriage (wherein his children are specifically and formally NOT part of the succession to the Dragon Throne)? Alusair would prefer a man who doesn’t want children, and will agree to such conditions “before all the Court,” with written contract and all, before their wedding.
I could on for pages and pages of this thread discussing possibilities and permutations, but would quickly reach the “if this, then that, but on the other hand, if this other thing, then blah blah blah” stage; I can say little useful until I know more specifics of the unfolding situation. (So, if you want to keep me posted as your campaign play unfolds, and would like my “okay, that’ll cause X and Y” comments, go right ahead . . .)
Everything I’ve said here could be learned by a would-be suitor who sat down with a friendly (or well-paid) local sage, senior Purple Dragon, War Wizard (who’d promptly report the entire conversation, earning the PC spies and magically farscrying eavesdroppers, from that moment on), senior courtier (ditto the War Wizard’s reporting-in), elderly noble patriarch or matriarch of a minor no-axe-to-grind house, or one of the Suzail-based wealthy retired men and women who view doings at Court as their daily entertainment - - and follow all the gossip avidly.
You’ve got me interested, Charles; go for it!

So saith Ed. I, too, want to hear what happens! What say, Charles?
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2007 :  02:40:17  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
Thank you very well for the plotline points Ed and I'll post the final results of it when and if it happens. This is all I wanted and more. You'll be pleased to note that none of the criteria you listed will disqualify our young Lord's courtship.

:-)

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000