Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2007 :  03:49:55  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message
One thing to say about those Loviater worshippers (Loviathans? haha), they're pretty brave
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2007 :  03:53:02  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message
Just seen Victor_Ograygors thread and seems they're called Loviatans. I still think Loviathan was funnier :) *mutters to self*
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2007 :  04:13:42  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
As usual Ed, my thanks.

Oh, on another note: People over on ENworld say they have received their copies of Castlemourn. I forgot to mention it.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31684 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2007 :  04:25:27  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

Just seen Victor_Ograygors thread and seems they're called Loviatans. I still think Loviathan was funnier :) *mutters to self*

You could always use the term "Lovites", which is considered an older title used among the clergy.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 25 Apr 2007 04:26:29
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29648 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2007 :  05:38:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Wenin, as far as I know, Candlekeep scribes have never yet asked a question on this thread and its annual predecessors that Ed and/or we players and/or TSR/WotC designers hasn’t at least considered at some time beforehand.

Hmmm, that sounds like a challenge, to me...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
703 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2007 :  11:35:17  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message
Actually, I'd be happy to never introduce any of these lovely rituals into my work. I was asking more out of personal curiosity and am quite relieved to here that such things are not quite as widespread as they are in our world (if I'm reading this right). It's strange, but sometimes it's nice to know that a few things aren't in the Realms, or at least, aren't that important. I don't mind initiation hunting rituals, coming of age quests, and other such things, but forcible mutilation of children leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. It only serves to renew the cycle of violence.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2007 :  19:40:33  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Well met!

Ed, tell us, if you will, what the polite forms of address are in various lands for those who are openly bedded, but not wedded. For instance (and I use feminine forms solely because European languages are geared towards considering a female participant in a love {or sex} relationaship as subordinate to a male): how does one introduce one's acknowledged mistress if one is known to be married to another person? How does one refer to one's live-in bed-partner and/or "significant other" if there's no likelihood that a marriage will ever occur (think Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell, happily unmarried for about three decades now, or Laeral and Khelben after the Crown of Horns business)? How does one address a social superior (or equal's) concubine (or anyone else who's more than a chit for the night and less than a claimant to community property)? Also important to Mistress Manners is: how are these various combinations addressed and referenced as a couple when they are not being presented separately? "The Lord and Lady Mages of Waterdeep" is pretty obvious, as would be "The Lord Mage Khelben and the Lady Mage Laeral," but there is surely some phraseology more polite than, "Her Royal Majesty, the Simbul of Aglarond ... and boy toy."

Ed, inquiringly polite minds want to know!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5036 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2007 :  19:37:12  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. This time I bring Ed’s answer to Jamallo Kreen’s query: “Ed, I'm running the Crusade against the Tuigan, and the reading of a book called Supplying War: Logistics from Wallenstein to Patton raises this question: how non-evil, non-chaotic armies supply themselves when travelling great distances in Faerun?”
Ed replies:

Buy food along the route, paying well. Take routes where mounts and beasts of burden can graze (remember, most land in the Realms is unfenced). Prepare beforehand by making or purchasing literally tons of rice and barley, flour, barrels of salt-cured meat or smoked meats packed in oil, sausage, handwheels of cheese, similarly-sized rolls of hardbread, and watery ale.
Everything from sausage onward in that list becomes “trail-gnaw” food for cold meals, eaten while walking. The moving army habitually sends out scouts, but also bands of woodcutters to get firewood, water-finders with buckets and wagons of casks, and archers (to find game).
At the heart of the army, surrounded by its armed warriors, are the wagons of provisions but also herds of purchased oxen, sheep, goats, and horses (some of whom can double as mounts or draft animals); some of these are butchered and roasted at every “more than a night” camp.
The marching army eats many stews of rice and barley flavored with gravies and “found” meat.
At every place they conquer, they seize food stores (and spices, and everyone’s beasts, of the sorts listed above) as “spoils of war” (in the Realms, this practice is generally considered neither evil nor chaotic, even if the conquerors strip the larders so that surviving citizenry will face starvation in the winter ahead; rather, it’s thought of as “just war,” and the citizens had better start walking to lands where temples of the same faith are, who will feed them [and give them seeds, the TRUE treasure of most Faerűnian temples] in return for their labour, until they can return in spring to sew their lands again).

So saith Ed, the Clausewitz and Sun Tzu of the Realms.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2007 :  20:40:18  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Yeah what he said
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2007 :  23:09:37  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
BTW, all, Ed tells me he's VERY impressed with the work of divers scribes (many of them Candlekeep regulars) and editors regarding the Grand History book. Expect it to be SUPERB; Ed does.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2007 :  00:04:06  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hello again, all. This time I bring Ed’s answer to Jamallo Kreen’s query: “Ed, I'm running the Crusade against the Tuigan, and the reading of a book called Supplying War: Logistics from Wallenstein to Patton raises this question: how non-evil, non-chaotic armies supply themselves when travelling great distances in Faerun?”
Ed replies:

(snip)

So saith Ed, the Clausewitz and Sun Tzu of the Realms.
love to all,
THO

Rice stews? Wouldn't have thought of that! I'm currently using early modern statistics for bread made from grain and transported in standard D&D wagons (I don't have the number at hand, but it requires A LOT of wagons, each of which requires its own team of horses or oxen, which require wagonsfull of fodder of their own). Speaking of cartage, when big armies move, do they prefer to use oxen (slow, but strong) or horses (faster, but weaker and big eaters); either are, of course, edible at the end of the trail, when the army's size has been reduced somewhat!

In travelling from the Sword Coast to Cormyr, about how many days supplies would a small army carry with it at one time? We know (from reading this scroll) that inns or waystations occur about every thirty miles or so along the caravan routes, but (as readers of George R.R. Martin's Saga of Fire and Ice know), small inns are immediately overwhelmed just serving the officer corps of moving armies, let alone hundreds or thousands of troopers. Not every little hamlet is going to have a "Mother" Tabra on hand to keep an army in line, so I rather think that most of them are just financially (if not physically) ruined by an army's arrival; is this the case?

I'm glad to hear that the rules of engagement in Faerun take into consideration looting as a standard occurence, and beg to refer readers interested in such to Mongoose Publishing's The Free Companies, by Vincent Darlage, for their Conan RPG, for detailed rules for looting, based upon the relative mind-set of an army, depending upon their nationality (civilized versus barbarian, Aquilonian versus Stygian, that sort of thing), which is very easily applied to the Realms.

Apropos of seed banks, is it a common practice for evil armies (or strike forces from evil faiths) to attack temple seed supplies before an army's arrival (or during its departure), thus guaranteeing additional strife, with the possible added bonus of a famine or an epidemic after the army departs?

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2007 :  00:33:25  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
The recent discovery of a fossilized rain forest in Pennsylvania prompts this question: since coal is used in the Realms, where did it come from, considering that the Days of Thunder were only about 35,000 years ago? Is it a case of <shudder> "special creation?"

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2007 :  20:42:21  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well met again, scribes of the Realms.
This time I bring you Ed’s answer to AlorinDawn, re. this: “Recently my gnomish bard and his companions came upon a very ancient treasure hoard. The DM told us we found 25 8 inch tall carved wooden figures of elven heroes which my bard was able to deduce were from some period of the Crown Wars in near perfect shape. In addition we located a magically preserved scroll hoard which provided information on each figure and his/her place in elven history. We also found a small music box of intricate design from the same time period. Can you provide some idea of what value these items might bring if sold in Waterdeep?
Thanks”
Ed replies:

As with all sales, prices depend on demand and scarcity. These items are PROBABLY unique, in “today’s market,” and therefore very scarce, and therefore valuable to someone who doesn’t think of them merely as some whittled wooden toy figures. Any Waterdhavian shopkeeper seeking to buy them will of course pretend they aren’t valuable, unless their eagerness to acquire is so strong as to overcome their (usually) well-honed acting skills. Sages and elves will place a higher value on them than non-sages and non-elves, so the most true answer is “whatever a particular buyer is willing to pay,” and the most appropriate answer is a price range from almost nothing up to the highest price you could expect to get, which is to a very wealthy elf who would prefer not to steal or extort them (i.e. not Elaith).
And that “highest price” would probably be (and I am assuming these figures are non-magical and not in themselves items that entitle the owner to something else by virtue of possessing them; i.e. they are not title to ownership of a castle or lands or noble rank): either 16,000 gp per figurine if sold separately (that is, one figure and its scroll); or 9,000 gp per figurine without the scroll (the scrolls by themselves would only be 600 gp at most); or for the complete set of figures and scrolls, 700,000 gp. If there’s no bidding war (in other words, private negotiations with a single buyer), that top price is going to be around 600,000 instead.
If these must be sold in a hurry, or not to the most eager buyer, the scrolls would fetch 400 gp at most, figurines without scrolls 900 gp, figurines with scrolls 1200 gp, and the complete set 22,000 gp.

So saith Ed. A driving force behind inflation in at least two worlds. :}
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2007 :  00:15:37  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage  Click to see AlorinDawn's MSN Messenger address Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Ed & THO,

Wow, thanks you for the quick and detailed answer, even before my next game session. Glimish Rocktapper will indeed eat, sleep, and live well and play the best musical instrument coin can buy in Waterdeep for a long time to come.

In modern terms "Cha-Ching"!

Currently reading: Eyes of The Dragon by Stephen King

Long live Sniffy Wigglebottom
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2007 :  00:57:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. I bring you the words of Ed once more, re. Taelohn’s post: “Ahoy, Ed & THO.
I was thinking about the recently-mentioned notion of Vecna extending his influence to Faerűn, as well as the Wizards Three, when this occurred to me... the "current" events in the Realms and in other settings (like Greyhawk) aren't always happening at the same time, are they?
Some time ago, I read an article called "A Temporal Chronology of the Primes" (http://www.geonomicon.com/chronology/chronology.htm) which used Ravenloft as a means of determining how the timelines of Greyhawk, Dragonlance, the Forgotten Realms, and Dark Sun would compare to one another (by matching up the date a given character entered Ravenloft using the Barovian calender, with the date given for that same event using the character's home setting's calender).
Using that timeline, some events that "occurred" at roughly the same time in the real world (like the War of the Lance and the Time of Troubles) end up occurring almost coterminously in-game as well... however, some settings have advanced more quickly than others since then (like Dragonlance "skipping ahead" a generation when they introduced the children of the Heroes of the Lance).
Using that timeline, Vecna's ascension (from a demigod to a true deity) wouldn't happen until sometime after 1396 DR. Even the defeat of the Circle of Eight at Vecna's hands wouldn't occur until 1378 DR... yet (as I'm sure you recall from your vantage point in the armour ) Elminster and Mordenkainen discussed that very event during the first meeting of the Wizards Three (DRAGON #188).
Did their meetings take place in the future (relative to the published Realms)? Is there some time travel involved when traveling between worlds (perhaps Mystra shunts visitors "from the future" to the "current time")? Or is that timeline wrong (perhaps due to time flowing oddly in Ravenloft)?
I'm sorry if this is nitpicking; I'm just curious as to how you'd make events from different settings "fit in" with one another. While Wizards of the Coast may not be too keen on cross-setting stuff anymore (with the decline of Planescape and Spelljammer, and the introduction of the new Realms cosmology), I always enjoyed the Wizards Three articles.
(It's too bad they never met Raistlin, though. )”
Ed replies:

Oh, they met Raistlin several times. And some Raistlin impostors, too. ;}
Nor are the Wizards Three finished emptying my larder and wine cellar just yet. However, that fascinating Temporal Chronology piece, though a great spur to the imagination of DMs who read it, happens to be wrong in its datings, because (yes) time DOES flow unreliably in Ravenloft (it doesn’t even move at the same rate from place to place among the domains and mists, let alone being consistent when compared to other places).
I’m sure some Ravenloft authorities may disagree, but to them I reply: I was privy to an in-house TSR design meeting, back when Ravenloft was being launched as a setting (expanded from the original Castle Ravenloft module), at which this very element or characteristic was discussed and agreed upon. So, no matter what different hands Ravenloft may have passed through since, and different viewpoints on this particular matter that may or may not have been expressed or published or accepted as Ravenloft canon, my Realms agreement means that the original relationship decided-upon between Ravenloft and the Realms remains unchanged until there’s an “inside-the-Realms explanation” for any change published. (I.e. not a real-world “Designer X decided this, and it supercedes earlier published products” reason, but a “All across Toril, due to the work of God Y or Fluffy Bunny Z on the Weave or Manshoon’s left nostril or the risen sands of Anauroch, Great Change A happened” justification (however flimsy).
I, too, enjoyed the Wizards Three very much. Even as, with the passing years and my expanding girth, that suit of armour got to be a tighter and tighter fit. :}

So saith Ed. Esteemed lurker inside suits of armour for decades, now.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4718 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2007 :  09:56:56  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn

Ed & THO,

Wow, thanks you for the quick and detailed answer, even before my next game session. Glimish Rocktapper will indeed eat, sleep, and live well and play the best musical instrument coin can buy in Waterdeep for a long time to come.

Well, at least until the word hits the streets that a few of the figurines feature Craulnobers - that's when Glimish is going to get an "offer he can't refuse".

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2007 :  15:50:05  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
I am emboldened to ask my own price and costs question: if an adventurer of middling-wealth garments, nondescript charisma, and non-threatening manner (who leaves all weapons and magic at home, of course) wants to quickly get to see and privately speak with "any" Obarskyr in the Royal Palace ("private" meaning of course War Wizards and guards will be present, but not every courtier who wants to stand near), how much would it cost in bribes (ahem: fees)? What would the process be? What's the best way (that doesn't get the adventurer in permanent trouble, ruin his reputation, or attract notoriety) to make it faster?
Whom does he approach first, and how many "steps" are there in getting to his goal (speed matters, remember)?
And, what's the process, and how much, for doing the same thing to get to see Caladnei? Has it changed much from Vangerdahast's time? (I want to know about Vangey's time to properly describe what a now-dead NPC did, to gain access to Old Thunderspells in the past.)
Thank you very much in advance. I know this is a "fun but a lot of work" query.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2007 :  15:57:12  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
And another question, on behalf of one of my players (I feel greedy, but, hey, I said I'd ask):
The PCs want to buy a house in Suzail south of the Promenade, but they're hoping to find one that has a turret, and rises at least three floors from the street.
Are there a lot of these? What neighbourhood are they most likely to find one for sale in?
(And now I'm going to shamelessly add my DMing needs to this question.)
And if there aren't any, how would they go about having a turret built onto a house without one, that they do buy? (I'm assuming they'll buy two adjoining houses and partly knock one down to get the space needed.) Who gives permission? What are the fees and conditions? Who in Suzail (aside from the infamous Glarasteer Rhauligan) builds turrets, anyway?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2007 :  16:15:02  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage  Click to see AlorinDawn's MSN Messenger address Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn

Ed & THO,

Well, at least until the word hits the streets that a few of the figurines feature Craulnobers - that's when Glimish is going to get an "offer he can't refuse".

-- George Krashos

George,

Glimish will of course "negotiate" whatever terms that keep his little gnomish butt safe and sound. As my character is the mouthpiece for Company of the Iron Crown hopefully my wit, role-playing skill, and appropriate skills will allow me to recognize the potential danger of possessing such an intact and ancient piece of elven history.

Wish me luck and Garl Glittergold's blessing.

Currently reading: Eyes of The Dragon by Stephen King

Long live Sniffy Wigglebottom

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 28 Apr 2007 19:37:24
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2007 :  19:33:58  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Well met all!

Ed, I have a question concerning mathematics on Toril. I suppose we may take it for granted that almost everyone in Faerun can add and subtract numbers (one at a time, at least), but is knowledge of multiplation and division common outside of those crafts and professions which need them to calculate supplies or building materials or what-not? Do the people of "old" Toril (i.e. NOT-Maztica) understand the zero as we do -- do they grasp that you can't divide by it and that multiplying by it yields zero?

Is geometry taught as a mental discipline outside of those crafts and professions which need to be able to calculate area and volume? Is algebra known, and if it is, how many variables can non-Maztican mathematicians work with? Who have been particularly famous mathematicians on Toril (Maztica included)?

Are ballistics and trajectory calculation understood by non-Spelljammers? (I daresay that anyone who boards a Spelljamming ship had better understand trajectories, but what about Elminster of Corm Orp, siege engineer, adjusting his catapult in Faerun?)

Go to Top of Page

Taelohn
Seeker

36 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2007 :  21:56:47  Show Profile  Visit Taelohn's Homepage  Send Taelohn an AOL message  Click to see Taelohn's MSN Messenger address Send Taelohn a Private Message
Thanks, Ed! I don't suppose we'll ever get to see one of those Raistlin-related meetings? ;)

If comparing timelines via Ravenloft won't work, are there any other guidelines that can be used, or is it roughly "modern Greyhawk = modern Realms"?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2007 :  01:37:47  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, fellow scribes. On the table of lore this time: Ed’s response to createvmind’s post: “Does Faerun have Nor-Easters storms? Has the Shade tampered weather extremes created any unusual type of weather effects of this magnitude anywhere? And more importantly have the druids who reside in regions affected thus and learned it was created unnaturally used their powers to try and re-balance the areas they have sworn to protect? Do druids now have a certain enmity for beings capable of causing such widespread or long term damage to nature and are figuring how to address this?”
Ed replies:

Druids ALWAYS dislike anyone except other druids meddling with the weather (and they tend to get angry at any fellow druids doing so whom they regard as “reckless” or “out of control,” too).
By no means all or even many druids have learned or decided that the meddling of Shade is affecting weather, and of those who have, very few have conferred with other druids in attempts to reach a common viewpoint or reaction. Yet.
On an individual basis, many druids are using spells to try to influence local weather (as they quite often do, usually in the smallest and most subtle ways possible, such as adjusting rainfall or sunlight in a tiny spot, by shunting cloud cover around in the sky).
Yes, the spells cast by the spellcasters of Shade have caused violent storms, but thus far most of them have been north and east of Sossal (over the nigh-uninhabited interior of the Endless Ice Sea) and over the open ocean, well west and a little south of Fireshear (where few creatures and even fewer ships are ever to be found). So no general alarm, resentment, or even realization of their activities (or rather, the consequences of those activities) has arisen yet. (Hmm; kinda like global warming, for all those years.)

So saith Ed. Weathermaster of the Realms.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2007 :  01:44:31  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

The questions about Suzail from Blueblade have kind of inspired my own (long) series of Cormyr related questions...

I'm curious what a typical "day in the life" of Lady Lord Myrmeen Lhal of Arabel might be like. What kinds of things does she have to do from day to day. Does she hold court on a daily basis? What happens during those sessions? And what kinds of things are bought straight to her for attention? Also, what sorts of things does she do in her spare time (if she has any! )? What ever became of Krystin, the girl in the novel The Night Parade by Scott Ciencin whom Myrmeen appeared to adopt by the end of the novel? What role does she play in the life of Myrmeen, if any?

How has her (strongly implied in Elminster's Daughter) pregnancy changed this routine, if at all? How likely is it to change her routine once she starts showing (and further down the track)? Is she likely to face any problems with her pregnancy due to her age? How likely is it that she will even have a viable birth? Would this be with or without magical intervention? (Even on Earth, pregnancies after the age of 40 are discouraged due to the inherant problems that an aging human body causes - there are exceptions, I know, but the general rule of thumb is the older you get past 40 the more likely children will be born with some kind of genetic defect, like Down Syndrome.) Of course, you could quash this by saying that Myrmeen only thinks she might be, but isn't really. (I mean, how would she know? She's not a cleric, and not enough time passed for her to realistically notice a missed period in the span of the novel!)

Lastly, going on the assumption that she is pregnant, how likely is it that enemies of Vangerdahast might discover Myrmeen's pregnancy? What kinds of things are they likely to do, if anything? Kidnapping? Assassination (of Myrmeen, or simply attacks aimed at aborting the pregnancy (ie: poison that may not kill Myrmeen, but almost certianly would result in the fetus's death))?

(And because it's me, I can't help but ask - is the gender of the child in question going to be 50/50 male/female possibility, or are forces going to ensure one gender or t'other? "Heir" implies male within Cormyr, but could realistically be female too.)

I know this is a lot of questions, so I thank you very much in advance for whatever information you can provide.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2007 :  02:09:06  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Nice questions, Zandilar. Off to Ed they go.
I can tell you that SWORDS OF DRAGONFIRE includes a few short scenes that have Myrmeen vividly portrayed in them. A younger Lady Lord of Arabel than today, of course, but they should be a nice glimpse of her manner in dealing with matters of the day.
However, Ed will of course give you the real goods. He loves Cormyr stuff, so both you and Blueblade will probably get answers here soon (or sooner, if Garen Thal gets here first ).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2007 :  03:18:14  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Thank You.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000