Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2007 :  00:16:34  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Phoebus

To the Hooded One and, through her, Ed:

What do you see Merith Strongbow doing in a campaign that takes into account the events detailed in the "Last Mythal Trilogy"? Can you see Merith having much of a role in the newly rebuilt Myth Drannor?

I smell a strong smell of NDA on this one. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Phoebus
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2007 :  01:15:22  Show Profile  Visit Phoebus's Homepage Send Phoebus a Private Message
A man's gotta ask!

Edited by - Phoebus on 16 May 2007 01:15:57
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2007 :  01:16:18  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message
quote:

What do you see Merith Strongbow doing in a campaign that takes into account the events detailed in the "Last Mythal Trilogy"? Can you see Merith having much of a role in the newly rebuilt Myth Drannor?

Wow! I didn't think of this question, but I'll sure second it!

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2007 :  02:07:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

What does an NDA smell like?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2007 :  02:19:01  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

Old crusty..... underwe.... parchment. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2007 :  16:59:18  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Greetings Ed and the Hooded One.

I was reading Ed's Elminster's Guide to the Realms article in Dragon #289 - "The Shunned Street" - and now I'm wondering how widespread knowledge of the Arcane mark ward spell presented therein is. Is it a Thayvian exclusive, or does wizards of other regions also know of it (or of identical spells researched independently)?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2007 :  20:25:19  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

I was reading Ed's Elminster's Guide to the Realms article in Dragon #289 - "The Shunned Street" - and now I'm wondering how widespread knowledge of the Arcane mark ward spell presented therein is. Is it a Thayvian exclusive, or does wizards of other regions also know of it (or of identical spells researched independently)?

Could you post the spell for those of us who can't find such back issues please.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2007 :  01:03:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
The spell is officially published material, so it's unlikely Kaje can re-print it, exactly as it is, here at Candlekeep.

I will note that Dragon #289 is available as a back issue at paizo.com:- http://paizo.com/store/paizo/dragon/issues/2001/289

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Phoebus
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2007 :  02:53:13  Show Profile  Visit Phoebus's Homepage Send Phoebus a Private Message
Here's another Cormanthyr-related question I had...

Did the Akh'Velarn and Akh'Faer get paid (by coin or otherwise) for their services, professional army-style? They appear to be a standing force...
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
729 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2007 :  09:42:34  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

a celebrated wine expert once compiled a list of foods with suggested wines to accompany the food, and the list included this entry: "Chocolate -- No wine goes with it."

Having personally experienced this in a very good, bordering on nuevo cuisine restourant once, I can attest that a Shiraz goes down very well with chocolate. What made this occasion so memorable was that it is standard practice to be able to order any wine by the glass in this place. In fact it is something that is actively encouraged by the staff, so as to appreciate each course of the meal with a different type of wine.

Whether or not a realmsian version of Shiraz exists, only Ed will be able to tell us...

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2007 :  11:35:11  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar
The term "consort" in the Realms. The word, IMHO, is terriby vague . . .
Deliberately so, I think. It's used to refer to intimate companions of important people without specifying whether they're married (and if so how), love each other, have sexual intercourse, and other matters which aren't the public's business.
Go to Top of Page

Tormtar
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2007 :  14:41:11  Show Profile  Visit Tormtar's Homepage Send Tormtar a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,

I was just wondering if Ed might be able to shed any light on the prominent members and activities of the Greatgaunt family of Cormyr (as mentioned in the entry for Greatgaunt in Volo's Guide to Cormyr)?
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2007 :  17:06:06  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Could you post the spell for those of us who can't find such back issues please.

Like the Sage said, it's copyrighted material - a quick summary that doesn't give away any particulars would be that it's a slightly more advanced version of the alarm spell

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2007 :  19:32:12  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:

Gods help me, I can't resist! -- aren't Bane and Bhaal the ultimate "god fathrs" in recent Realms history? (Okay, I have slapped myself. No one else needs to do so.)

"God fathrs"? (sorry, neither could I )

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2007 :  20:23:45  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2007 :  22:39:12  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

quote:

Gods help me, I can't resist! -- aren't Bane and Bhaal the ultimate "god fathrs" in recent Realms history? (Okay, I have slapped myself. No one else needs to do so.)

"God fathrs"? (sorry, neither could I )

*sigh* That's what comes from reading too much Old High German before posting here. I have, of course, corrected the error in the original post. Thanks for keeping my spelling all good and proper.

I know fade back into the stonework....

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2007 :  01:40:45  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

quote:
The term "consort" in the Realms. The word, IMHO, is terriby vague . . .
Deliberately so, I think. It's used to refer to intimate companions of important people without specifying whether they're married (and if so how), love each other, have sexual intercourse, and other matters which aren't the public's business.

Actually, I don't see why a ruler would want ambiguity at all in the matter of whom they are sharing a bed with. I'm sure they wouldn't want the general public thinking their friend or business associate is also sharing their bed, would they? And in matters of spouses, well why would they use the word "consort", when it's otherwise clear what this person is to them? Would a ruler really want that kind of ambiguity hindering their children's succession? Therefore I'm fairly sure that it would only be used when the context was quite clear. Here...

Consort can mean... a husband or wife, spouse. Especially of a reigning monarch. "The Queen's Consort."
Consort can mean... a companion, associate, or partner. "Robin is a consort of Batman."
Consort can mean (as a verb)... to associate; keep company. "David consorts with a gang called the Tiger Sharks."

Consort also has a few other meanings that we're not really concerned with here, because the word isn't really used in those contexts very often (ie: it can mean one ship or vessel accompaning another, or an agreement or accord, or to agree or harmonize).

Anyway, I hadn't looked at the FRCS quote in a while, just remembering the word consort standing out - now I remember why there was confusion... Here's the quote...

"Centuries of smuggling and intrigue cannot be undone in a decade, but those seeking dishonest deals now think twice before taking their business to Yanseldara's city, particularly since she leaves law enforcement to her consort and adventuring companion, Vaerana Hawklyn (CG female human Rgr20 of Mielikki)." - FRCS, pg 143.

Now you wouldn't say "companion and ... companion" in one sentance, but you might just say "associate and ... companion." This is where the confusion comes from... Personally my interpretation has always been a more intimate definition of consort, but I can see how others might just say it means "associate" in this context. Mind you, I suspect that at least some of those others would use the same interpretation I have if either Yanseldara or Vaerana was male.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Phoebus
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2007 :  05:52:08  Show Profile  Visit Phoebus's Homepage Send Phoebus a Private Message
Again, if Prince Phillip, Duke of Edinburgh, is properly known as Consort to Queen Elizabeth II... I don't see why it's any different for Yanseldara and Vaerana.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2007 :  06:57:34  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

Brimstone

Lawyers are Hellspawn after all

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2007 :  21:34:56  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
quote:
Personally my interpretation has always been a more intimate definition of consort . . .
Yes, I don't think 'consort' has been used in Realmslore for business partners -- it's not as ambiguous as that. It means roughly the same as 'partner' or 'lover' but with different shadings of connotation. For instance, people of high social status have consorts, and there's no assumption of permanency, as in 'Alustriel's latest consort'. In some places consort is an official status, and the role may have particular formal or informal expectations that vary locally. In cultures where legitimacy or inheritance or succession requires marriage, it would be made known if the person is a spouse, and 'consort' would be less likely to be used. At least, this seems to fit the word's use in print, though Ed may have more to add.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2007 :  19:21:48  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Ed has been horribly busy these last few days, but surfaced long enough to hurl one answer my way, for us all...
Zandilar recently posted (among other queries that Ed will deal with on other occasions): "The term "consort" in the Realms. The word, IMHO, is terriby vague, and has so many different meanings as to be almost useless except when the context is crystal clear. My question is: What is the most commonly accepted definition of the word in Abeir-Toril? What context is it usually used in? For example, FRCS describes Vaerana Hawklin as being Yanseldara's consort - does this mean that Vaerana is formally married to Yanseldara? Does it mean she's some kind of acknowledged lover/mistress? Or does it simply mean she's a friend/companion/associate? Most often, I've seen the term used in the context of a ruler's offical partner/spouse, which would imply in the case I mentioned, that Vaerana is formally married to Yanseldara. (I may have asked this question before, but my memory is flakey at the moment and my search-fu is conciderably weakened while I'm away from my own computer. That'll teach me for not putting "important" documents on my laptop when I'm uncertain of when I'll be back at my desktop computer!)"
Faraer weighed in on this matter, and Ed now replies:

In the Realms, we usually use "consort" in two ways: official consorts and unofficial consorts.
Unofficial means a sexual or at least "constant companion, dwelling together" relationship that is publicly known about, but is NOT a formal union.
Official means a formal union (marriage in faith or under civil law) of a noble, person of rank, or royalty that specifically does not imply that the "consort" can inherit the status of the person they are attached to (and in some cases, their heirs can't, either).
To cite a relevant real-world example, the British crown has long had the concept of morganatic marriages (offspring cannot ascend to the throne), and the current Prince Philip is a prince in his own right (of the royal family of Greece), but cannot claim the throne should his wife (the Queen, who IS Queen in her own right) predecease him. So he is "Prince Consort," in the same way that Albert, Queen Victoria's husband, was styled Prince Consort rather than "king." Vaerana stands in the same relationship to Yanseldara: they are married (and, yes, lovers), but Yanseldara is the rightful ruler and Vaerana has no claim to her position, should Yanseldara perish.
Zandilar, you are quite correct to say that the word 'consort' has "so many different meanings as to be almost useless except when the context is crystal clear." Sometimes in the past published Realmslore has been carelessly vague, sometimes editors have unintentionally introduced vagueness while rewriting for brevity, and sometimes we have been deliberately vague (for various reasons). I'll TRY not to be in future, but cannot promise (sorry), because I have no final control.

So saith Ed. Who is hip-deep in Realms-related projects (watch for that last print issue of DRAGON), but trying to stay in touch here at the Keep.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2007 :  20:01:05  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hello again, all. Ed has been horribly busy these last few days, but surfaced long enough to hurl one answer my way, for us all...
Zandilar recently posted

(snip)

Faraer weighed in on this matter, and Ed now replies:

In the Realms, we usually use "consort" in two ways: official consorts and unofficial consorts.
Unofficial means a sexual or at least "constant companion, dwelling together" relationship that is publicly known about, but is NOT a formal union.
Official means a formal union (marriage in faith or under civil law) of a noble, person of rank, or royalty that specifically does not imply that the "consort" can inherit the status of the person they are attached to (and in some cases, their heirs can't, either).
To cite a relevant real-world example, the British crown has long had the concept of morganatic marriages (offspring cannot ascend to the throne), and the current Prince Philip is a prince in his own right (of the royal family of Greece), but cannot claim the throne should his wife (the Queen, who IS Queen in her own right) predecease him. So he is "Prince Consort," in the same way that Albert, Queen Victoria's husband, was styled Prince Consort rather than "king." Vaerana stands in the same relationship to Yanseldara: they are married (and, yes, lovers), but Yanseldara is the rightful ruler and Vaerana has no claim to her position, should Yanseldara perish.
Zandilar, you are quite correct to say that the word 'consort' has "so many different meanings as to be almost useless except when the context is crystal clear." Sometimes in the past published Realmslore has been carelessly vague, sometimes editors have unintentionally introduced vagueness while rewriting for brevity, and sometimes we have been deliberately vague (for various reasons). I'll TRY not to be in future, but cannot promise (sorry), because I have no final control.

So saith Ed. Who is hip-deep in Realms-related projects (watch for that last print issue of DRAGON), but trying to stay in touch here at the Keep.
love to all,
THO

Ed, would "consort" then be the answer to my query about what those who are bedded, but not wedded, are called. In 1358, would Laeral have been described as Khelben's "consort" in polite circles? What about impolite circles?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2007 :  01:16:04  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

Passing along a question from those other forums... some regulars would like to know what the difference between the title Coronal and King/Queen are. They would also like to know anything you can tell us about what other royal/noble titles that are held by the elven people.

Thanks!

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2007 :  20:50:56  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hail and well met, fellow scribes. Ed responds to Jamallo Kreen re. this: “Ed, would "consort" then be the answer to my query about what those who are bedded, but not wedded, are called. In 1358, would Laeral have been described as Khelben's "consort" in polite circles? What about impolite circles?”
Which is itself a followup to JK’s earlier post: “Well met! Ed, tell us, if you will, what the polite forms of address are in various lands for those who are openly bedded, but not wedded. For instance (and I use feminine forms solely because European languages are geared towards considering a female participant in a love {or sex} relationship as subordinate to a male): how does one introduce one's acknowledged mistress if one is known to be married to another person? How does one refer to one's live-in bed-partner and/or "significant other" if there's no likelihood that a marriage will ever occur (think Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell, happily unmarried for about three decades now, or Laeral and Khelben after the Crown of Horns business)? How does one address a social superior (or equal's) concubine (or anyone else who's more than a chit for the night and less than a claimant to community property)? Also important to Mistress Manners is: how are these various combinations addressed and referenced as a couple when they are not being presented separately? "The Lord and Lady Mages of Waterdeep" is pretty obvious, as would be "The Lord Mage Khelben and the Lady Mage Laeral," but there is surely some phraseology more polite than, "Her Royal Majesty, the Simbul of Aglarond ... and boy toy."
Ed, inquiringly polite minds want to know!”
Ed now replies:

A great variety of everchanging nomenclature is employed across the Realms for such individuals, of course (far too many for me to cover in this thread), but here’s the general approach: “lady” (especially when the person spoken of is NOT a titled “Lady”) can mean “sweetheart” or “long-beloved wife” or “fiancé” or “mistress”) and is ALWAYS considered polite unless delivered in a sneering tone of voice or coupled with impolite phrases (examples: “hog-rutting lady” or “she’ll be any beast’s lady for as long as it wants her”). So a formal introduction at Court or a feast or other formal social occasion would follow the lines of: “Amarathe, lady to Guildmaster Horold Draer” or “Magister Ulkryn Darkcastle and his lady, Aundra Othlomae” (note that it’s entirely up to Aundra whether her surname is given or not, and always remember that many folk in the Realms don’t have surnames). When speaking to Amarathe or Aundra, you would say “Lady” if you wanted to be polite. If Guildmaster Draer was callous (or lukcy!) enough to escort BOTH Amarathe and his wife, Oloena Draer to the same function, they would be introduced as “Guildmaster Horold Draer, his lady Oloena Draer, and his lady companion Amarathe.” If Amarathe was the lover of BOTH of the Draers, and all three of them wanted this publicly recognized, they would be introduced as “Guildmaster Horold Draer, his lady Oloena Draer, and their lady companion Amarathe.” This would be true of a servant announcing guests at a door, a courtier preparing a document or performing introductions, a herald speaking, and so on.
“Mistress” is a neutral, polite term, like saying “man” or “woman” or “shopkeeper” or “citizen.” Yes, “consort” is sometimes used as a polite equivalent, but it implies long-term dwelling together (“behaving as a married couple”) or even an announced tie (engagement, contract, or inheritance agreement, plus those situations where one person wants to produce an heir and finds an agreeable other person to provide either the sperm or the womb, but where that other person understands and legally undertakes that they will NOT have any inheritance rights, or control over the offspring). A shopkeeper who wanted to fawn over Amarathe might call her “Lady Amarathe,” but if he wanted to be stern with her (perhaps she handles and breaks wares but never buys, or is about to knock something over, or is tardy in paying) he might say briskly, “Mistress Amarathe!” (Note: he’s NOT trying to be rude by doing so.)
Remember, there’s no Victorian-style Judeo-Christian morality in the Realms; it’s not a “bad thing” to be a mistress - - or, in most places, a prostitute. (There is such a thing as being ‘bad at it,’ or needlessly ‘wanton’ or unclean, but that’s a different matter, however much insult-hurling goodwives or gossips may want to paint it otherwise.)
So in polite circles, in Waterdeep, Laeral would be termed Khelben’s “lady” rather than “wife” (but more often, because she’s “Lady Mage” in her own right and well-loved by the populace, either “Laeral,” “Lady Laeral” or “the Lady Mage of Waterdeep”). Most Waterdhavians would say, “I overheard Lady Laeral yestereve” or “Lady Laeral told me.”
In less polite circles, Laeral is referred to as everything from the neutral but informal “bedmate” to “plough-furrow” on down through “willing holes” and “waiting mouth” to far less printable and more explicit terms. :}

So saith Ed. Who warmed me up a bit at the end, there. What he says about being formally introduced is quite true; I recall a Realmsplay session at which two Knights of Myth Drannor were revealed when a tapestry fell during a feast, both nude and making love energetically, and the servant glided forward to calmly introduce them by name, and the term: “evident companions of the moment to each other.”
love to all (and frequently!),
THO
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2007 :  22:41:14  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message
Greetings to Ed and the Lady Hooded One, I have two questions.
What can you tell me about the famed Agannazar? I'm interested in his appearance, personality, mannerisms etc.
The same goes for the mysterious Mistmaster.
I have mined what little printed sources on the subjects I can find.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Drew
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2007 :  23:47:15  Show Profile  Visit Drew's Homepage Send Drew a Private Message
Ed,

One of my favorite pieces of the Realms is Nimbral, specifically the Nimbral Mage kit from second edition. Is there anything in 3.x that has anything more on this kit as a PrC or equivilant?

The noblest fate a man can endure is to place his body between the home he loves, and wars desolation.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2007 :  01:44:58  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. This time I bring you the words of Ed in response to Phoebus, re. this: “What do you see Merith Strongbow doing in a campaign that takes into account the events detailed in the "Last Mythal Trilogy"? Can you see Merith having much of a role in the newly rebuilt Myth Drannor?” (Kuje posted: “I smell a strong smell of NDA on this one. :)” and discussion then ensued on what an NDA actually smells like.
(“A man’s gotta ask!” indeed. ) Ed replies:

Indeed, to the NDA (and no, Kuje, NDAs actually smell like oiled cast iron, slammed down REAL close to the nose :} ).
What I can say, without going into overmuch detail, is: Merith was one of the many who harried Sarya’s marching armies with arrows, from the trees, whittling them down—and later raced north to prevent the ogres, orcs, flind, hobgoblins, and bugbears of the northern Moonsea from pouring south to take advantage of the strife (with the connivance of Zhentil Keep) and overwhelm the other cities of the Moonsea.

So saith Ed. Who is as usual busily cooking up new Realms goodies for us all.
love to everyone,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2007 :  02:12:28  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Cast iron huh? Well, I can agree with that, I suppose.

Also, we, or maybe just me?, is still wondering about the Spin a Yarn link from Gencon 2006..... :)

Go to Top of Page

Phoebus
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2007 :  02:12:31  Show Profile  Visit Phoebus's Homepage Send Phoebus a Private Message
Mahalo, Ed & Hooded One!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2007 :  02:28:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Also, we, or maybe just me?, is still wondering about the Spin a Yarn link from Gencon 2006..... :)
No, it's me as well.

I even sent an email to WotC's "Online RPG Content Department" asking for some details.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 22 May 2007 02:29:50
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000