Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2007 :  18:10:19  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message
Hello-

Heh - I agree - a Manshoon short story collection would be neat! Some of the stories could even be particularly short - especially if said clone only managed to survive a couple of days - say - running into another clone looking to make use of a stash of magic...

Personally - I would like to see either some of the exploits of the Knights of Myth Drannor IN Myth Drannor, or barring that - any Other group that explored Myth Drannor. And in regards to this - Especially any interaction thay may have had at The Wind Riders Throne. Yeah - I'm a Shaundakul junkie I guess. :)

Also - any fun and adventure that can be told about the High Forest would be neat too.

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2007 :  19:48:18  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
I concur on Mirt and Durnan, but I'd really like to know more about Gemidan, the precocious mage. He's all grown up by 1374 DR, but what's he like now? (In my campaign he went into business with Maskar Wands, making and selling "fruit" which can taste however the eater wants it to, merely by speaking the flavor as a command word.)

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Ladejarl
Seeker

Norway
55 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2007 :  20:29:12  Show Profile  Visit Ladejarl's Homepage Send Ladejarl a Private Message
A day in the life of a Orc tribe; perhaps somthing akin to the tribe on the High Moor (Elminsters Ecologies) that raises sheep and wolfs, but can't seem to figure out why the sheep keep disappearing.

A day in the life of Sememmon and Ashemmi.

"There should be much less violence, and more nudity and kinkiness in the world."
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2007 :  20:59:32  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message
The story of how Lhestyn, the Masked Lady, got rid of the Shadow Thieves in Waterdeep (1298 DR) followed by the story of Marune, the Masked, who planned his revenge from this day until 1374 DR.

Edited by - Skeptic on 12 May 2007 21:00:45
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2007 :  21:45:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

I concur on Mirt and Durnan, but I'd really like to know more about Gemidan, the precocious mage. He's all grown up by 1374 DR, but what's he like now? (In my campaign he went into business with Maskar Wands, making and selling "fruit" which can taste however the eater wants it to, merely by speaking the flavor as a command word.)

I've been thinking of dusting off Gemidan, myself. I see him as being older and wiser, and scarred -- mentally and physically -- by harsh lesson learned while growing up.

I am pretty certain, though, that Gemidan is a creation of Steven Schend.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 12 May 2007 21:48:20
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2007 :  02:09:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Indeed, he is.

Some thoughts from Steven on Gemidan, back in Dec '04 -

"Gemidan is, to be sure, a few years older and quite possibly a little wiser and more experienced. Can't recall the time frames of COS, but we can probably guess that he's hitting puberty with all its attendant growth spurts, voice changes, acne problems, and social difficulties with whatever gender he deems attractive.

Beyond that, I've no idea. In my current mood, I'd say the Arcane Brotherhood sent back his bracers (with hands still in them) back to Blackstaff Tower with a note saying "Send larger apprentices next time."

Honestly, Gemidan's not one of my better ideas and thus he'll remain on the pile of concepts left open to GMs everywhere to do what they will with him. Have fun, and apologies for not having more direction than this.

Steven

[…]

My only real answer as to why I'm not as enamored with Gemidan as I once was is simply age. I'm 12 years older than when I wrote City of Splendors, and the idea just doesn't appeal to me as much. He's far too many exceptions to the norm (prodigy at young age, apprentice to Khelben, adventurer without supervision, etc.) and the idea becomes too "twee" for me now. <shrug> He's still an interesting character, but I'd have to find a lot of things to do to/with him before he'd interest me greatly again.

The initial concept was to surprise Khelben and challenge him, as he barely has the patience to deal with young adults, let alone children; this is true at least publicly and in the context of his teaching students; some nobles have learned that one of the few ways to pry even the smallest of secrets out of the Lord Mage of Waterdeep is to send their smallest child toddling over to ask innocent questions of him while he smolders in the corner at a nobles' revel he could not avoid. Granted, Khelben is aware of this, and rarely tips his hand truly, but while every adult is rightfully afraid of his presence, he takes care not to terrify the young (or at least not until they are old enough to understand their own actions and queries).

For the character himself, I envisioned him as a prodigy and a huge pain in the ass for everyone--Dennis the Menace with magic, for all intents and purposes. He'd be the classic look-before-you-leap hero and those with whom he adventures spend more time getting him out of scrapes than actually planning things. In short, he was a goofy little idea that could be fun in short spurts within a game, but over time, the idea just comes off as "game bits of humor" rather than solid world-building and real character creation. If he works within the scope of your campaign, by all means use him. I'm just not attached to him any longer."

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2007 :  02:16:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
And now, a question for Ed... though, I'm still more than a little hesitant to add to my backlog of questions -

Ed, this is regarding the divinatory practice of palmistry. What more can you tell me [other than the few tidbits we've learned about in previous Realmslore] about its notable practioners in the Realms? In which cities and countries may it still enjoy widespread use? Are there places where it must, unfortunately, be practiced in secret? And, also, are there locations in the Realms where palmistry may have come into conflict, either directly or in secret, with already established churches and/or state-religions?

Edited by - The Sage on 13 May 2007 02:18:27
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2007 :  02:58:22  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
Which brings me to an idea that I’ve been kicking around for a while. I don’t know if I’ll ever get the chance to do this, but if I could (somehow and somewhen), what are the “scenes you’d like to see” if I wrote some Realms short stories covering them? Moments or confrontations or events we already know about or can infer have happened by reading published Realmslore, that don’t primarily involve characters created by others, or “heavily adopted” by others (meaning: I’d rather not trammel Elaine’s hands by doing more Elaith moments, or Steven’s by using Khelben overmuch)? Which characters (of mine, including background NPCs or “bit part” characters) would you like to see more of?
To all scribes who read this, please post your desires in this thread. This is NOT a promise I can or will make, that you’ll “definitely” see new fiction from me addressing, somewhere. However, I would like to know whom you feel we’ve neglected, or events and scenes you’d like to see told in more depth, or for the first time. I carry a giant, rather confused mental tapestry of the Realms in my head, all the time, and sometimes forget what has been put into print and what’s just sitting in my head; it would be nice to have some of the holes in the print version pointed out to me again.

I'd love to find out more about how some of the more famous couples in the Realms first met and got to know each other. How about a young Filfaeril courting, and/or being courted by, a young Azoun? I've been wondering what Filfaeril's life was like back when she was younger. I also wouldn't mind seeing scenes with Sylune with her husband back when they were Lord and Lady of Shadowdale.

Thanks once again,

RF

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Auralis
Acolyte

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2007 :  03:48:45  Show Profile  Visit Auralis's Homepage Send Auralis a Private Message
Had a few questions in regards to the High Harpers, namely, who and what they might be. It seems, after looking through several sourcebooks that there are mentions again and again (specifically in the FRCS, though curiously no mention whatsoever in Code of the Harpers) regarding High Harpers, but absolutely no in depth information regarding them. Are the High Harpers simply the most senior Master Harpers as mentioned in Code of the Harpers (ie- Elminster, Storm, and the like), or are they some other, hidden-quite-well folks that the FRCS alludes to as being elected by secret ballet? If the latter, is there any information you could provide on them, who they might be (aside from the oh so brief mention of a High Harper Paladin of Milil in City of Splendors: Waterdeep), and if they receive any blessings from the harper deities beyond that of a Master Harper? Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2007 :  04:06:21  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I'd love to find out more about how some of the more famous couples in the Realms first met and got to know each other. How about a young Filfaeril courting, and/or being courted by, a young Azoun? I've been wondering what Filfaeril's life was like back when she was younger. I also wouldn't mind seeing scenes with Sylune with her husband back when they were Lord and Lady of Shadowdale.

Thanks once again,

RF

I have to agree. I am a big fan of both Cormyr's late King Azoun as well as a fan of Sylune, though my personal favorite of the Sisters is still Laeral. You know, if Laeral happens to be single now, I have a PC here of mine that would be perfect...

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Rolindin
Acolyte

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2007 :  10:43:05  Show Profile  Visit Rolindin's Homepage Send Rolindin a Private Message
First I would like to thank Mr. Greenwood for answering the questions he has done so far from me.
A question that has crossed my mind is about Orcals in Faerun, does Faerun have Orcals?
If Faerun does have Orcals, do they show them selves every so often to give warnings to leaders of different countries?
If Orcals are in Faerun where would their hidden city be located.

I hope this is not too much of a stretch for Fearun, but a Orcal class does exest in d&d, and does make a hard class to play (in some ways). With their mystical, magical and other abilities.

Edited by - Rolindin on 13 May 2007 10:48:06
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2007 :  15:40:49  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Great replies and questions, scribes; please keep them coming! (Sage, NEVER hesitate to add to your pile of unanswered questions. The more the merrier, and none uf know when our askings might spark Ed into something really stunning and new...)
This time Ed responds to Blueblade’s query: “Morning, Ed and THO. Time for another (heh heh) Cormyr question: are there hiring fairs, farmers' markets, horsesellers, and so on outside the city gates? Or is that not allowed?
If it is allowed, are there certain dates only? And is any semi-permanent presence (e.g. tenting in the same spot for a season) okay? And (larger question) what's the protocol for roadside camping throughout the realm? Can I stay in one spot by the side of the road and sell things?
Thanks!”
Ed replies:

No you can’t (stay in one roadside spot and sell things), unless you buy the land and put up a building to sell from (and also, if you wish, dwell in). Expect steady scrutiny from Purple Dragon patrols.
Yes, you can sell goods whenever you stop traveling and camp, but unless you have a good reason (e.g. broken wagon wheel, REAL beast-of-burden emergency, not just “the oxen pulled up lame”), those same Purple Dragon patrols will expect you to move on, every day. (Those who disagree and plead strenuously will be mind-scryed from afar by War Wizards to ascertain whether they’re telling truth or just making excuses for tarrying.) Some peddlers travel VERY slowly, because they’re on foot and heavily loaded, or have only a few mules (and are heavily loaded), but they do keep moving. Or else.
(Or else what? Hauled to the nearest magister, usual sentence confiscation of some goods or levy of cash fine, plus “decree of direction,” which may be anything from “do this unpaid labour for a few days, while we house and feed you” to “convince us of your true plans, here and now, in the realm” [with War Wizard mind-scrying applied, of course] to “get out of Cormyr just as fast as you can, starting NOW!”)
As for your tenting by the gates question:
Every spring, on a different ten-day-stretch each year (the date cried locally around the realm by heralds and Purple Dragons) there are horse fairs held outside the gates of Suzail and of Arabel. Over the years, a few “other stalls” have crept in (first equine accessories such as tack and blankets, then conveyances drawn by horses, and in recent years food tents and all manner of small-goods sales), though the local Purple Dragons work firmly to keep the numbers of these down. Such events are still prohibited in Marsember (it was tried one year, but alchemists from Westgate specializing in poisons and drugs to disable foes showed up, as well as hand-crossbow vendors from Sembia).
Otherwise, no merchants are allowed “around” (nearby) city gates, either inside or outside (beggars, snatch-thieves, and cryers for inns [“Come to the Red Flower, saer! Best meals, clean beds, clean ladies to share them with!”] have several times in the past become an absolute nuisance, offending visitors and impeding the flow of carts and wagons by darting out in front of them, crowding into and then deliberately blocking the path of pedestrians, and so on).
Well away from the gates of Suzail, at the north end of Jester’s Green, merchants are allowed to set up tents in summer. The maximum stay is a tenday, enforced by Purple Dragons who keep a VERY close eye on who’s there and what their goods are (the Crown doesn’t want poisons sold, armies covertly assembling near Suzail, slavers operating to receive drugged kidnap victims, doppelgangers or other perils “getting to” citizens by posing as lovely lady prostitutes, and so on).
“Tent city” merchants are NOT allowed near Arabel or Marsember. They are allowed at Waymoot and Wheloon, in specifically-maintained and patrolled “paddock” areas owned and heavily patrolled by the Crown. War Wizards scry these areas diligently and often, as the Crown (rightly) fears spies or “swordswinging agents” of Sembia, Thay, Zhentil Keep, Westgate, and various rebel interests will gather in such areas if they aren’t vigilant. Just last summer a handsome young man claiming to be “the son of Gondegal” was murmuring his identity and requesting support from folk in the northeastern part of the kingdom. Twice he vanished (with magical aid, it’s believed) when Crown agents closed in on him.

So saith Ed, handing interested DMs a little adventure hook at the end, there.
I, of course, LOVE hooks in MY little adventures. Mmm-hmm. And chains, and . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2007 :  16:17:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

(Sage, NEVER hesitate to add to your pile of unanswered questions. The more the merrier, and none uf know when our askings might spark Ed into something really stunning and new...)
I know, I know...

I've also got a fairly in-depth astronomy-themed question coming, that I want to pose... but I also want to pin down some major references first -- to save Ed some time having to point them out.

I'll get back to you.

Edited by - The Sage on 13 May 2007 16:18:48
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2007 :  16:40:30  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
As for what I'd like to see:

Some tales about the children of some of the NPC's. A lot of the Knights, and/or people associated with the Knights, have children that are grown up but nothing has been written about them. (Might be a touchy, I can't write about them, subject.) Edit: Maybe some info about Alustriel's other children since Meth has been used a lot lately. I'd especially like to know more about those female children that you teased us with. :)

So, as a second choice, I'd love to see some stories about/based in the Nelanther Isles and some tales of the pirates or other NPC's that make their homes in those isles.

For a third, half-orcs have been in the setting since 1e but we have hardly no lore on them. (Course, we don't have much on some of the other demihumans either, ah well.) But maybe some tales about how half-orcs are treated, etc. Or maybe some stories about how some of the other half-races are treated in "civilized" nations/cities....

On a related note: How's the Spin a Yarn from Gencon 06 coming? Only three months, or so, left till 07 and I'm curious to see if some of my ideas managed to survive the cutting. :) Plus, I know a few people who want to read that Spin a Yarn.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 13 May 2007 17:14:45
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2007 :  17:21:17  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Now, onto a question that I've been pondering for awhile.

Whatever happened to the two hounds that Storm had in the early material? Where did she procure them? What where their names? Did they have any puppies? Etc. Details Ed, please! :)

Which leads me into my question.

Could you detail any famous animals, be they normal animals or dire animals, that have had their actions become part of the history of a nation/city? I'll let you pick what city/nation that you want to use, how many animals you feel is sufficient to answer the question, etc. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2007 :  17:41:06  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
Kuje: you probably already know this, but there is a city of half-orcs in Vaasa, featured in the latest R.A. Salvatore novel ('Road of the Patriarch'). Not a lot of details on their daily life, but we get the general feeling that they are a valued asset for Damara. One DM could locate half-orc towns in similar frontier areas of certain realms, with little or no effect on existing canon. But I, too, *do* look forward Ed's official answer on this!
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2007 :  18:07:41  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
As for my ideas for short stories by Ed:

1. Some adventures of the Lathander High Priest in Marsember (the one who sponsors the Cormyrean Navy; detailed in Volo's Guide to Cormyr). Edit: could he be a sponsor of that new 'promise land' detailed in Champions of Valor? the new theocracy in the making, backed up by several clergies that are on the side of good?

2. The story of Aunkspear, and how he came to be known. For sages who do not remember about him, here be an exerpt from Volo's Guide to Cormyr:

KING GALAGHARD III OF CORMYR: “Only three hundred of us left? What a disaster!”
AUNKSPEAR: “Nay lord, it is a great victory.”
KING GALAGHARD: “A victory?”
AUNKSPEAR: “Aye. Any battle ye survive is a great victory.”

3. Anything on Elminster and the Simbul would be great, with a small preference on the Simbul's interaction with her court and government... (i.e. some plot in Aglarond... something that would have us believe that there is room for adventuring in that oh-so-perfect land where nothing happens! )

Edited by - Purple Dragon Knight on 13 May 2007 18:09:32
Go to Top of Page

Rolindin
Acolyte

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2007 :  23:22:17  Show Profile  Visit Rolindin's Homepage Send Rolindin a Private Message
From Mr. Greenwood's lastes answer, comes a question of simular nature. That comes to my mind.

So does Corymer have traveling menistarils shows, circus type shows, or any other kind of mucical travling type shows.

The second question would be does corymer have gypsies that travel around the contry, maybe even through the country. Keeping up their traveling route's every year?

I ask this because of the traveling enterment troops in our own history, and because I made such a traveling troop for the realms that is called the Zeandril. Kind of based off the Bartmen and Baliey early circus style.
With chance games, performers, singers, muscians, fortion telling, story telling, different kinds of monsters in cages, illusion shows, famous stories and tellings from the past with illusions, and clowns and the rest, but realms style.

does Corymer have such traveling entainers, that may be gypsie like in some ways.

Edited by - Rolindin on 14 May 2007 00:56:38
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2007 :  02:19:42  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello all,

What magic works within Candlekeep if thats not NDA, If NPC has Rary's Telepathic Bond with someone and enters Candlekeep library can he speak via the magic?
Teleportation, divination and such that can be done, if this has been mentioned before then ignore please.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2007 :  04:16:54  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, everyone. This time Ed responds to this recent query from Charles Phipps: “Hey Ed, it's been a long time since I've asked a question. As usual, our bumbling heroes are curious about another element of Cormyr life as they settle into the courtly life. I believe their official titles are "Royal Consorts" which Vangy discovered never required there only to be one. Of course. My question, is basically related to the fact that there's two young offspring running around the court in the Lady Lord of Arabel's new child and Little Azoun. I'm also thinking of introducing Caladnei's child, even though we couldn't say who the father is amongst the PCs or elsewise.
To cut to the chase....
Do God parents exist in the Realms? What would be the expected duties of our PCs if they were named so for our young pair of Royal Relations?”
Ed replies:

Yes, godparents exist in the Realms, though they’re not called “god parents” or anything similar (“gray mentors” is a common Heartlands term; “shieldfolk” is more commonly used in Inner Sea coastal areas). In Cormyr, they are known as “high guardians,” and are responsible for sponsoring the child in the following situations: paying for clothes and food (if parents can’t provide), seeing to schooling (if parents can’t), gifting the child with armour (if they want it), and rearing them [or paying someone else for rearing them] (if something “happens” to the parents). So at heart they’re sponsors (many high guardians pay for weddings and even burials of “their” children, when the time comes). Sometimes they give birthday gifts, and sometimes the children they “stand for” are expected to perform (except for children who excel at fencing, horsemanship, or some other athletic pursuit they’ve been trained for, “perform” here means: sing, play music, or recite an original or well-known memorized oration) for them.
In all cases of disagreement over handling of the child between parents and high guardians, the parents automatically have deciding say, unless the local authorities (magister, local Purple Dragon commander, or the Court) say otherwise (which they do when parents are insane or publicly acting to punish, harshly control, or harm the child [witnesses to such behaviour exist, in number and testimony that suggests habitual cruelty, not a lone occurrence of rage]).
Note that poor folks don’t have “high guardians.” This practice is for the wealthy (particularly socially-climbing “wannabe nobles”) and the noble.
However, in Cormyr, no royalty (by birth, marriage, or Court status) or “high officer of Court (e.g. Royal Magician, Court Wizard, Chamberlain, etc.) would be allowed to stand as high guardians for other royalty; it’s seen as a conflict of interest (if Guardian X has influence over Young Royal Y, he could twist Young Royal Y’s beliefs so as to form a faction, or covertly enspell Young Royal Y, or slay or geld Young Royal Y, and so affect the succession).
I’m not saying such meddlings are likely to succeed, given the general suspicion at Court and the vigilance of the War Wizards and everyone else; I’m saying the Royal Magicians long ago set things up to avoid all possibility of such things happening - - or other Cormyreans having any justifiable cause to BELIEVE such things could be happening.
In like manner, Cormyrean royalty aren’t allowed to stand as high guardians for Cormyrean nobles (it can be seen as exercising undue influence over the noble so as to secure personal loyalty or a covert ‘binding,’ or a chance to use the noble as a hostage to force their family to act or not act in some manner).
So in Cormyr, nobles can be high guardians for other nobles, but royalty can only be high guardians for non-nobles (highly unlikely, but done in rare occasions in gratitude for “special service” such as saving the life of a royal; Woodcutter X saves a young prince or princess, who then stands as high guardian to Woodcutter X’s child), or nobles of other realms.
Now, nothing in this post should be taken as forbidding UNOFFICIAL, informal (publicly known at Court or otherwise) mentoring or sponsoring, even if such treatment is done lavishly for years. Those sort of relationships often occur at Court. (Be aware that either a formal high guardian or an informal mentor is going to be watched covertly by War Wizards and Highknights, these days, to prevent the exploitation of the younglings they’re standing for, doomed or inappropriate romances kindling, and so on.)

So saith Ed. Interesting campaign implications, Charles; a “no but yes” for your PCs.
Kuje, Ed sent the Spin A Yarn in before the end of 2006, and it's been up on the WotC website for some time. Really.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2007 :  05:59:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Kuje, Ed sent the Spin A Yarn in before the end of 2006, and it's been up on the WotC website for some time. Really.
love to all,
THO

Have you a link to that tale, my lady? My search fu has not been up to the task of finding it...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2007 :  07:08:21  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

love to all,
THO

Have you a link to that tale, my lady? My search fu has not been up to the task of finding it...

Really? Odd, cause usually it takes about a year before it's posted. Mutter. I never saw the link and it was never mentioned, anywhere, that I remember. Plus, I just looked through the novel archieves, which is where the other Spin a Yarn's are archieved, on WOTC's site, and it doesn't appear to be listed. Nor is it listed on the FR site.

Are you sure, THO, that the 2006 one has been posted? I see that all of them from 2002 to 2005 are but not the one for Gencon 06.

Edited by - Kuje on 14 May 2007 07:22:20
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2007 :  08:43:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Indeed, I have to agree...

It may be that the '06 "Spin A Yarn" was unintentionally lost from the Novel Archives during WotC's series of upgrades for their website. As it is... I've found nothing relating to any additional "Spin A Yarn" material beyond the last posted for '05.

My Lady, we need your help!

Go to Top of Page

Mandras
Seeker

Estonia
51 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2007 :  17:12:46  Show Profile  Visit Mandras's Homepage Send Mandras a Private Message
Hello Ed,

Could You help me out with a minor detail about Sword Coast area:

What does the banner and trail signs of Baldur's Gate Merchant's Guild look like? I have not been able to find these in any official material.

Best Regards,

Mandras

"The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple."
Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

ijkay
Acolyte

Canada
17 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2007 :  18:40:27  Show Profile Send ijkay a Private Message
My suggestion for fiction topics would be:

Anything dwarvish, in particular a story dealing with fallen kingdoms for which little has been published.

Tales set in one of the Dales other then Shadowdale. For example you provided a tremedous amount of lore on Harrowdale in this thread some time ago. Tales that would flesh out some of the Dales less published in such detail would be great.

A tale providing insight into the day-to-day doings of the phaerimm

A tale providing insight into the day-to-day doings of the Northmen of the isles in the northwest of Faerun (such as Ruathym or Gundarlun)

Ian Franks

Ian Franks

"So I thought to myself who gives a damn if all the jobs are gone, I'm going to be a Pirate on the River Saskatchewan!", The Arrogant Worms
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2007 :  19:12:14  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

Hello again, everyone. This time Ed responds to this recent query from Charles Phipps:

(snip)

Do God parents exist in the Realms? What would be the expected duties of our PCs if they were named so for our young pair of Royal Relations?”

Gods help me, I can't resist! -- aren't Bane and Bhaal the ultimate "god fathers" in recent Realms history? (Okay, I have slapped myself. No one else needs to do so.)

Ahem. A series of questions, Ed, if you don't mind: will you please describe for us the process of wine-making in Faerun and in the Utter East from grapes to drinking jack (or tankard or mug or -- rarely -- glass)? Wine bottles are repeatedly mentioned in Realms fiction, and I think corks have also been mentioned, but putting wine into bottles and then corking the bottles is a very advanced and sophisticated (if simple) technology, yet it exists in Faerun, doesn't it? What about in the Shou empire? Are there certain regions which are known internationally for producing fine wines? Are "vintage years" ever declared and marked on the bottles, or is the year always marked -- or never? Is wine aged in wooden casks, and if so, do some areas still use amphorae? Do wine bottles have standardized paper (or parchment or whatever) labels, unique to a particular grower or region or shipper? If wines are labelled, are wines from some regions or of some varieties more highly prized than others? When grape wine is transported by ship or by caravan, perhaps across hundreds of miles in varying weather conditions, how is it shipped? (In a game mechanical context, in the Conan RPG book on piracy, loot is classified according as various forms of "cargo," and in most cases a cargo common in one region is considered "uncommon" and thus ten times more valuable in some other region. Does that translate well to the Realms, i.e. if a pirate in the Dragon Reach nets a cargo of local Cormyrean wine, is he going to have a more valuable wine if he sells it in Chessenta, or is he just going to have a hold full of vinegar?)

In "civilized" cuisines, is it commonly recognized that some wines, or types of wine, go better with some foods than with others? (I insert an aside here, in light of this week's episode of "Desperate Housewives," and considering what is coming out of Maztica nowadays: a celebrated wine expert once compiled a list of foods with suggested wines to accompany the food, and the list included this entry: "Chocolate -- No wine goes with it.") To venture a bit aside, since some brandies most definitely "go" with" chocolate, is the distillation of wine into spiritous liquors practiced in Faerun, or are the various liquers sipped by the gossips of Cormyr something less than eighty proof? Aurora sells distillation equipment in her catalog's wizard's section, but has anyone ever thought to distill wine, and if so, when did that momentous breakthrough first occur? If alcohol is distilled, is it recognized as an external wound cleaner and an antiseptic (a "blood purifier," perhaps), or does it remain an alchemical curiosity?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 26 May 2007 19:22:43
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2007 :  03:05:50  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

I have several questions I'll throw into the mix... mind you, some of them aren't completely formed yet, so might be a touch vague.

1) The term "consort" in the Realms. The word, IMHO, is terriby vague, and has so many different meanings as to be almost useless except when the context is crystal clear. My question is: What is the most commonly accepted definition of the word in Abeir-Toril? What context is it usually used in? For example, FRCS describes Vaerana Hawklin as being Yanseldara's consort - does this mean that Vaerana is formally married to Yanseldara? Does it mean she's some kind of acknowledged lover/mistress? Or does it simply mean she's a friend/companion/associate? Most often, I've seen the term used in the context of a ruler's offical partner/spouse, which would imply in the case I mentioned, that Vaerana is formally married to Yanseldara. (I may have asked this question before, but my memory is flakey at the moment and my search-fu is conciderably weakened while I'm away from my own computer. That'll teach me for not putting "important" documents on my laptop when I'm uncertian of when I'll be back at my desktop computer!)

2) How common would it be for sorcerers to teach wizards and vice versa? Is it even possible? If it's not, what about a sorcerer with a couple of levels as a wizard (and vice versa) and formal training as a teacher?

3) On the topic of teaching wizards/sorcerers (and sticking to Cormyr), are there any War Wizards of Cormyr who are known for their ability at teaching young wizards/sorcerers? If a War Wizard took on an apprentice, would that apprentice be required to serve the War Wizards as the cost of their apprenticeship? If they could pay by other means (such as the child of a noble, who pays a large sum for the education of their child), would that exempt them from service?

4) Do War Wizards retire at all, or is their membership lifelong? Could a War Wizard request to be taken off active service, and perhaps play a teaching/support role?

I guess that'll do for my questions for now. I have others, but I should really wait until I can verify they haven't been asked before (mostly on the topic of teaching/education in general in the Realms - so if anyone can give me a heads up where I could find if there have been such questions asked before, that'd be great!).

Short stories I'd like to see: Minor characters experiencing life in the Realms for one (thinking on the scale of what low to mid level PCs might typically do). Anything about pretty much every/any/all major female NPC types. Anything about LGBTI people (which could easily be worked in to just about anything else). Anything about Tymorans and Sharessans and their doings. Umm... I could be here all day coming up with the sorts of things I'd like to see, so I'll just leave it at that!

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2007 :  23:48:41  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

1) The term "consort" in the Realms. The word, IMHO, is terriby vague, and has so many different meanings as to be almost useless except when the context is crystal clear. My question is: What is the most commonly accepted definition of the word in Abeir-Toril? What context is it usually used in? For example, FRCS describes Vaerana Hawklin as being Yanseldara's consort - does this mean that Vaerana is formally married to Yanseldara? Does it mean she's some kind of acknowledged lover/mistress? Or does it simply mean she's a friend/companion/associate? Most often, I've seen the term used in the context of a ruler's offical partner/spouse, which would imply in the case I mentioned, that Vaerana is formally married to Yanseldara. (I may have asked this question before, but my memory is flakey at the moment and my search-fu is conciderably weakened while I'm away from my own computer. That'll teach me for not putting "important" documents on my laptop when I'm uncertian of when I'll be back at my desktop computer!)

That's a great question and I'm interested in it as well, though I think it's partly about how the term "consort" is used in products and how we are supposed to interpret it, not only about how it's used within the setting. Sometimes "consort" implies a professional relationship, not a sexual one. But regarding Vaerana and Yanseldara, I think it's been mentioned before that they have a romantic/sexual relationship. Not sure if they are actually married or not--I guess we'll find out.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Phoebus
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2007 :  00:08:34  Show Profile  Visit Phoebus's Homepage Send Phoebus a Private Message
I always assume that terms of the English language carry their proper meaning in gaming supplements. The primary definition of "Consort" in my dictionary is "a husband or wife; spouse, esp. of a reigning monarch" (emphasis mine). A "companion, associate, or partner: a confidant and consort of heads of state" is also #4 down the list. Given this, I would have no problem describing the above pair as being married. "Consort" in this case, IMHO, is used (A) because of PC reasons and (B) due to the fact that a head of state is in this relationship. Go to Wikipedia, for example, and check out the entry for Queen Elizabeth II: Prince Philip, her husband, is listed as Consort. The same can be said for all the royal houses on that website, as I recall.

One could bring up the varianc8e in names, but there are plenty of historical examples where heads of state maintained their own names for political reasons. Yanseldara and Vaerana likely don't have to worry about sharing names for more than one reason. To begin with, the FR aren't necessarily weighed down with our need to share names. Adventurers especially seem to keep surnames that have little to do with their families. Merith Strongbow and Jhessail Silvetree don't share names either. :)

Edited by - Phoebus on 16 May 2007 00:09:46
Go to Top of Page

Phoebus
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2007 :  00:12:00  Show Profile  Visit Phoebus's Homepage Send Phoebus a Private Message
To the Hooded One and, through her, Ed:

What do you see Merith Strongbow doing in a campaign that takes into account the events detailed in the "Last Mythal Trilogy"? Can you see Merith having much of a role in the newly rebuilt Myth Drannor?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000