Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2007 :  04:35:31  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
Remember, there’s no Victorian-style Judeo-Christian morality in the Realms; it’s not a “bad thing” to be a mistress - - or, in most places, a prostitute. (There is such a thing as being ‘bad at it,’ or needlessly ‘wanton’ or unclean, but that’s a different matter, however much insult-hurling goodwives or gossips may want to paint it otherwise.)

Quick little follow up here...

What is the correct term for a the male equivelant to "mistress"? Master doesn't seem right to me, since the term inherantly implies superiority (I'll bite my tongue on any further comment on why that is so, suffice it to say it's fairly obvious).

Thanks again for the answers, by the way!

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2007 :  06:17:38  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
Hello again!

Just recently, my gaming group and I were talking about styles of dress and mannerisms in the Realms, when the topic of perfumes and colognes came up. I am running an NPC aasimar female paladin from Cormyr, (the daughter of my old 2nd Edition character that I have mentioned before), and I was asked by one of my group about what type of perfume she wore. I quickly answered with "Moonfire" (which I said was made by the followers of Selûne), forgetting that it was a magic item from Magic of Faerun. (I thought it sounded like an appropriate name, as well as a mysterious, exotic one).

I was sort of curious if you could tell me a bit about the different colognes and perfumes that are popular in the Realms, especially in Waterdeep, Cormyr, and Mulhorand. Thank you for your valuable time, sir and Lady THO.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document

Edited by - Penknight on 22 May 2007 06:40:29
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2007 :  06:37:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
While Ed will likely have more... Penknight, I will direct you to the small selection of bath oils, perfumes, and other personal supplies, which are likely to found in most popular bathhouses across the Realms, referenced in Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue. Ed's also briefly mentioned a few himself in previous replies as I recall, so you may want to search through the compiled files as well.

Also, see "The Deadliest Perfume" from DRAGON #121, which has details about lotus blossoms and their usage as a perfume source in Kara-Tur.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 22 May 2007 06:39:13
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2007 :  06:45:47  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

While Ed will likely have more... Penknight, I will direct you to the small selection of bath oils, perfumes, and other personal supplies, which are likely to found in most popular bathhouses across the Realms, referenced in Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue. Ed's also briefly mentioned a few himself in previous replies as I recall, so you may want to search through the compiled files as well.

Also, see "The Deadliest Perfume" from DRAGON #121, which has details about lotus blossoms and their usage as a perfume source in Kara-Tur.

Thank you, Wisest of the Sages. I appreciate your directing me to Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue, I can't believe I forgot about that! As for Dragon, my access is more restricted. It's a true shame, too.

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2007 :  06:50:24  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
Oh, I forgot to ask something that I have recently been wondering... are there plans for a 3.5 version of Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue to be released?

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2007 :  14:48:07  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

Oh, I forgot to ask something that I have recently been wondering... are there plans for a 3.5 version of Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue to be released?

Some of the items were updated in the 3.0 core Arms and Eq Guide, since Aurora's is listed, in that book, as one of the books that was referenced for A&EqG.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2007 :  22:33:04  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message
Well Met,

I do not know if this question has already been written but I do not find the answer anywhere on the Web (this situation is worth than surviving within the city of the Spider Queen,... when you are a rock gnome !)...

Briefly,
I'd like to know if Mr Greenwood (Respectful greetings Mr Greenwood and thank you very so much for all you made for us !)... so, did Mr greenwood write something about the original Drannor, the elf who married a dwarven lass.
Does it exist something about this love story ?

Thank you very much

A French Fan...

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2007 :  23:18:27  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Ello's Ed,

I was curious about if you could supply some differences between the pirates of the Nelanther Isles and the pirates in the Sea of Fallen Stars and Realmspace pirates.

Specifically, I was wondering if you could details some superstitions of the three types, plus any pirate codes that they have? I could use some of Earth's pirate superstitions and codes but some of them make no sense for FR, so I was hoping for some FR answers.

And no, I wasn't watching Pirate's of the Carribean. (sp?) I was reading some history books on pirates of our history, just in case someone asks. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 22 May 2007 23:31:01
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2007 :  00:47:45  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Suuuuuuuuuuuuuure you were :)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2007 :  01:31:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Seriously, Kuje has been reading some history books, because I've been meaning to ask him what the titles of these books are, since he told me about them in an earlier private discussion.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 23 May 2007 01:33:46
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2007 :  02:10:54  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

I have a rather simple question I think, how many pages of writing does one get out of a jar of ink, do you have any exotic inks you cold speak with cost possibly, I know you mentioned something about squid ink before I think. Trying to determine when my dear PC will run out of ink since he's always writing things down yet never buying more ink.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2007 :  03:12:30  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Hello All,

I have a rather simple question I think, how many pages of writing does one get out of a jar of ink, do you have any exotic inks you cold speak with cost possibly, I know you mentioned something about squid ink before I think. Trying to determine when my dear PC will run out of ink since he's always writing things down yet never buying more ink.

The prohibited, banned, and thoroughly naughty Volo's Guide to All Things Magical has much information on such things as giant squid sepia and what-not. It's free at Wizards. Someone will probably post a link to it within the next day or so.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

turox
Learned Scribe

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2007 :  03:19:54  Show Profile  Visit turox's Homepage Send turox a Private Message
This would be the place Jamallo is talking about. Wizards Download Page

Turox Antas Dragonslayer -
"People will believe anything they want to believe, or fear to believe."
Wizard's First Rule: Chapter 36, Page #397, US Hard Cover (revealed by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander).
Explanation by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander: "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2007 :  03:25:31  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

Hail and well met, fellow scribes. Ed responds to Jamallo Kreen re. this: “Ed, would "consort" then be the answer to my query about what those who are bedded, but not wedded, are called. In 1358, would Laeral have been described as Khelben's "consort" in polite circles? What about impolite circles?”
Which is itself a followup to JK’s earlier post: “Well met! Ed, tell us, if you will, what the polite forms of address are in various lands for those who are openly bedded, but not wedded. For instance (and I use feminine forms solely because European languages are geared towards considering a female participant in a love {or sex} relationship as subordinate to a male): how does one introduce one's acknowledged mistress if one is known to be married to another person?

(snip)

So saith Ed. Who warmed me up a bit at the end, there. What he says about being formally introduced is quite true; I recall a Realmsplay session at which two Knights of Myth Drannor were revealed when a tapestry fell during a feast, both nude and making love energetically, and the servant glided forward to calmly introduce them by name, and the term: “evident companions of the moment to each other.”
love to all (and frequently!),
THO

Oh, Gentles, you amuse me so!

The question remains, though, as to what a male who was the bedmate (but not husband) and the possible social inferior of a woman would be called? I'd think that in Cormyr and Waterdeep (especially) folk would be unwilling to introduce some bloke as "Lord Antsinpants" only because he's intimate with a woman who may very well have a title of her own. (As in my earlier post, "Her Royal Majesty, the Simbul of Aglarond ... and boy toy.") Do please enlighten us further, Master of the Green Wood, and dear Lady Herald.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2007 :  03:32:35  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Ello's Ed,

I was curious about if you could supply some differences between the pirates of the Nelanther Isles and the pirates in the Sea of Fallen Stars and Realmspace pirates.

Specifically, I was wondering if you could details some superstitions of the three types, plus any pirate codes that they have? I could use some of Earth's pirate superstitions and codes but some of them make no sense for FR, so I was hoping for some FR answers.

And no, I wasn't watching Pirate's of the Carribean. (sp?) I was reading some history books on pirates of our history, just in case someone asks. :)

Whilst waiting for Ed, one could do worse than read the Conan RPG supplement, The Pirate Isles, which has a full page of the customs and superstitions of three (four?) major pirate groups of the Hyborian Age. While in no way directly related to the Realms, one might find something there which would be worth injecting into a game session.

To clarify, by "pirate codes" do you mean piratical contracts and charters, or piratical signalling systems? Both are covered in Darlage's book, and a clarification might elicit an answer from Ed which is more "on point" (and, hopefully, includes even more lore than requested!).

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 23 May 2007 03:46:42
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2007 :  03:36:04  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Well met!

I've been reading The Further Adventures of Beowulf this week, and I have a question about the wintery scenes at the beginning of "B and the Wraith": when writing it, Ed, were you influenced by Algernon Blackwood's "Wendigo"? You both seem to have captured (what I imagine is) the true feel of a northern, wintery clime, whether Canada or Scandinavia.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2007 :  03:43:08  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by turox

Merci.

Does anyone know why Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast isn't available as a free download when three other Volo books are?

Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2007 :  03:51:23  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello again,

As a slight add-on to my most recent question, Ed how would you describe the effects to a player suffering Wisdom or Intelligence damage for first time and the difference between the two, and do you visualize Charisma damage as more than just damage to one's apperance? iF a person suffers Wis and Int damage will one effect mask the other so the person may be unaware of how badly they are affected.

This is more in regards to non spellcasting classes who obviously become aware rather quickly due to spells affected.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2007 :  04:14:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

quote:
Originally posted by turox

Merci.

Does anyone know why Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast isn't available as a free download when three other Volo books are?

Volo's Guide to Waterdeep isn't free, either. And Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II isn't available as a download, at all.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2007 :  04:27:33  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Ello's Ed,

To clarify, by "pirate codes" do you mean piratical contracts and charters, or piratical signalling systems? Both are covered in Darlage's book, and a clarification might elicit an answer from Ed which is more "on point" (and, hopefully, includes even more lore than requested!).

Eh, my fault. I meant basically a pirate code of conduct. The book I was reading had a sample of a pirate code. I.E. no woman on board, less they were slaves or there to be.... raped. Or an another example, who got what plunder and how much, etc.

Edited by - Kuje on 23 May 2007 04:31:52
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2007 :  10:39:15  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
On the subject of the Nelanther pirates. I just got to thinking; in the 2ed. Campaign setting the pirates where described as consisting mainly of humanoids, whilst later the Nelanther pirates became a human organisation. I am curious as to what where the original pirates in Eds campaign?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2007 :  15:00:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, scribes. I bring you Ed’s response to Zandilar’s query on behalf of those on (gasp) the OTHER forums: “Heya, Passing along a question from those other forums... some regulars would like to know what the difference between the title Coronal and King/Queen are. They would also like to know anything you can tell us about what other royal/noble titles that are held by the elven people.
Thanks!”
Ed replies:

I’m afraid I can’t delve deeply into other elven noble and royal titles, thanks to NDAs (most of my lore on the subject was submitted to TSR, now WotC, years ago, and thus belongs to them; it can’t be published except by them). However, I can answer the narrower aspect of this question, to whit: in the Realms, the terms King, Queen, Prince and Princess all have elven linguistic roots, and are still used by elves of many communities. A few ancient elven titles were revived in Cormanthyr in reverence to the “lost glories” of elder elven realms. These include:
• Coronal (literal meaning ‘wise elder’ but really meaning: chief justice, mayor, and later emperor) pronounced: “core-OH-nul”] [plural form: coronals]
• Lusabrar (literal meaning ‘sword of the people’ but really meaning: war-leader; that is: A war-leader or commander rather than THE war-leader or commander-in-chief, because there would usually be multiple lusabren) [pronounced: “luhss-AB-rar”] [plural form: lusbaren]
• Mraerital (literal meaning ‘vigilance of the people’ but really meaning envoy, herald, and observer; watching, witnessing [including formal agreements], and gathering intelligence openly, never stealthy spying) [pronounced: “mur-AIR-it-all”] [plural form: Mraeritar]

So saith Ed. Creator of Myth Drannor, these titles, and indeed Ye Whole Balle of Waxe.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2007 :  15:18:31  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message
quote:

I’m afraid I can’t delve deeply into other elven noble and royal titles, thanks to NDAs (most of my lore on the subject was submitted to TSR, now WotC, years ago, and thus belongs to them; it can’t be published except by them).

Could Ed suggest an "From the archives" series to WoTC for the new Digital Initiative ?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2007 :  15:27:27  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
I discussed just this with Ed, and he told me he's been far too busy with major WotC projects (as you know, from the sudden disappearance of "Realmslore," "Waterdeep News," and "Border Kingdoms" entries) to talk to anyone at Wizards about this...yet.
However, he certainly intends to talk to folks at Wizards; for one thing, there's that entire city of Teziir article to get into the hands of Realms gamers somehow, if there's no room for it in the last few print issues of DRAGON.
So, stay tuned . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2007 :  15:39:11  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Man....we need a definitive hardback from WotC on the elves of Faerun. Someone go smack them and make WotC comply! I know it's a dead horse that's been kicked well past freshness, but I can't help think that they aren't listening to the thuds. Out with the "super hardback half adventure half source book and bring back the source book of years past.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2007 :  16:42:25  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message
quote:

I discussed just this with Ed, and he told me he's been far too busy with major WotC projects (as you know, from the sudden disappearance of "Realmslore," "Waterdeep News," and "Border Kingdoms" entries) to talk to anyone at Wizards about this...yet.
However, he certainly intends to talk to folks at Wizards;

Projects already announced (like KoMD trilogy, Grand history of the realms, Undermountain, etc.) or other projects ?

Edited by - Skeptic on 23 May 2007 16:43:14
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2007 :  18:34:12  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

However, he certainly intends to talk to folks at Wizards; for one thing, there's that entire city of Teziir article to get into the hands of Realms gamers somehow, if there's no room for it in the last few print issues of DRAGON.
So, stay tuned . . .
love,
THO

Teziir? Where? Where? Where?!

I just had my players go through the Teziir adventure from Pirates of the Fallen Stars, but turned it on its head so that the PCs passed through Teziir after it was raided, and then laid a clever ambush for the pirate fleet just off the coast. Not quite as written, I know, but I always tell my players not to rely on published materials, if only because PCs can (and will!) change how Realms events unfold, and if they don't, I do.

At the moment the leaders of Teziir aren't quite sure whether to be grateful to the PCs for capturing Vurgrom "the Mighty" and his fleet, or furious because the PCs now have all of the plunder taken from Teziir and won't give it back (and have, in fact, already sold all of the grain which was stolen from Teziir to Tuigan-harassed Telflamm, whose rulers are buying up every scrap of food which they can lay their hands upon).

Since kuje has asked questions piratical, perhaps Ed may be induced to tell us the various "national" rules for returning stolen pirate booty. I would expect Calimshan and Cormyr to insist upon the return of stolen wealth recaptured by "privateers," simply beause they are strong enough to demand the return of what they see as theirs. Other than loot plundered from the mighty naval powers, is there any sort of legal rule or general principle of war which enables small (and relatively defenseless) cities, such as Teziir, to assert their rights of previous ownership versus those two sacred laws of adventuring, "Finder's keepers, losers weepers," and, of course, "Possession is nine-tenths of the law"?

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 26 May 2007 19:06:12
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2007 :  19:38:15  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
I've a question regarding the Archivist class. Ed's made it abundantly clear in the past that divine spells must come for Powers (gods or powerful demons or devils), so how does the Archivist fit into the scheme of things? Is he a cleric of Oghma or Thoth or whomever, or does he cast arcane versions of divine spells, or has he sussed to the fact that all magic on Toril is Weave- (or Shadow-)weave based, and that it is possible to go through the motions of a divine spell and obtain a spell-like effect without the intervention of either deities or demons? Inquiring DMs want to know!

Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2007 :  20:37:33  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
quote:

I've a question regarding the Archivist class. Ed's made it abundantly clear in the past that divine spells must come for Powers (gods or powerful demons or devils), so how does the Archivist fit into the scheme of things? Is he a cleric of Oghma or Thoth or whomever, or does he cast arcane versions of divine spells, or has he sussed to the fact that all magic on Toril is Weave- (or Shadow-)weave based, and that it is possible to go through the motions of a divine spell and obtain a spell-like effect without the intervention of either deities or demons? Inquiring DMs want to know!

It has been explained with the article here:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070509

Eytan Bernstein is explaining all of the alterntive class with these articles. Included are Archivist orders to Savras, Oghma and Thoth. Including uses Archivist without using the class.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!

Edited by - Foxhelm on 23 May 2007 20:52:36
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2007 :  15:30:18  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. This time Ed responds to Mandras, re. this query: “Hello Ed, Could You help me out with a minor detail about Sword Coast area:
What does the banner and trail signs of Baldur's Gate Merchant's Guild look like? I have not been able to find these in any official material.
Best Regards, Mandras”
Ed replies:

Many trading costers and caravan companies operate through Baldur’s Gate, but aren’t guilded in the city, and many of the merchants of the Gate aren’t guilded. The Merchants’ League has an elaborate coat of arms but is NOT a guild, and has flown an everchanging assortment of banners over the years (usually changing to mark a new discovery); the banner currently in use is a long pennant displaying three simple horizontal stripes: two metallic ones with a scarlet one between them.
Baldur’s Gate has no single “Merchant’s Guild” (though it once did), but rather has a history of unstable (short-lived, merging and collapsing, not very powerful) guilds (and there’s evidence that the local temple of Gond and various city leaders work to keep things that way, wanting to avoid a local situation of powerful, well-established guilds). There are currently nine local guilds.
The most powerful is the “Dark Guild” (of thieves, assassins, smugglers, and fences; see FRA for more details), that has no banner and no trail signs, but uses mud to mark city walls with a recognition symbol (meet here, this is the place to “hit,” look for a message here) consisting of an X with a barbed fish-hook running straight down from the center of the X, twice the length of the X-strokes, and then curving down, around, and up to the left.
The Gate is also home to (listed in descending order of wealth, size, and prominence) the Harborhands’ Guild, the Shipwrights Guild, the Wheelwrights’ Guild, the Seafarers’ Guild, the Mercantile Guild, the Weaponsmiths’ Guild, the Leatherers’ Guild, and the Falconers’ Guild.

Harborhands’ Guild: a large and busy guild of hard-working, “hand me no foolishness” dockside and warehouse loaders and unloaders (much wealth, can sometimes be roused to political interference or just to trash the home or shop of someone who’s seen as actively evil towards others in the city); banner: blue field, triangle of black stacked chests cradled in two cupped, brown hands; trail sign: three identical stacked chests, in a triangle (one centered atop two).

Shipwrights Guild: a small, wealthy, quiet association of ship-builders and “refitters” (repairers) and sailmakers (who for years have employed spies to watch over all manner of city dealings, so as to quietly invest in a great range of things; the true rival of the Dark Guild, who have several times fought the Dark Guild to a truce behind the scenes by hiring outlander adventurers, especially wizards and poisoners, to “beat the Darks at their own dirty games,” and as a result are respected and largely left alone by the Darks today); banner: triangle of white (sail) on a blue field (sea), brown hulls superimposed on shield: bowsprit-to-left side view of hull, with cross-section or “head-on” second hull astern of first; trail sign: stylized ship (hull with bowsprit to the left, bellying arc of sail “floating” above it (no mast or rigging shown, bulge of sail is to the left).

Wheelwrights’ Guild: busy fellowship of makers and repairers of wagons, carts, and capstan and pulley wheels for cranes, ships, and mills (little political will or common clout, more of an excuse to gather to drink, gossip, and complain than anything else); banner: light brown, side-on wooden wagon wheel of heavy construction and six spokes, on a white field; trail sign: wheel (circle of six spokes).

Seafarers’ Guild: registry of sailors, with rankings related to experience and training, and pay rates to match (established by merchant fleet owners and private ship captains to keep pirates off crews, and is now a front for the Dark Guild, who also wants to keep pirates off crews and thus out of influence in Baldur’s Gate); banner: blue field, diagonal strand of light brown rope, upper left to lower right, grasped in middle by dark brown right hand (back to viewer, fingers and thumb hidden, arm beyond wrist not shown); trail sign: triangle (sail) crossed by diagonal upper-left-to-lower-right line (rope).

Mercantile Guild: successor to the “Merchant’s Guild,” this is a loose association of shopkeepers who meet to determine common sizes, weights, and measures, accepted local nomenclature (what is “fresh”? what does “custom-crafted” really mean?), and measures (like the local law to ‘move on’ after a time) to keep street-cart vendors from competing equally with shopkeepers without paying the same fees and taxes; banner: brown ship on calm blue sea, with bowsprit to the left and hull heaped high with gold; trail sign: circle of ten coins around capital letters “BG.”

Weaponsmiths’ Guild: small, tradition-bound guild of local makers of armor, bladed weapons, and wooden handles for all manner of weapons and tools, primarily concerned with establishing and enforcing standards and labelling “inferior outland goods” as such (almost exclusively human male membership, who hold many hard-drinking meetings at their hall); banner: dark gray face-on warriors’ helm on a light gray field; trail sign: plain shield outline with “BG” written inside it (in capital letters).

Leatherers’ Guild: makers of boots, saddles, and more recently gloves, belts, scabbards, and harness for all manner of draft beasts and mounts (large and fractious fellowship of “upstart” non-human and female members challenging a few haughty old families who want to remain in control; there’s much arguing over tanning, proper leathers and design); banner: scarlet field with stylized brown side-on saddle (capital letter “D” with straight back uppermost, curve at bottom, entire shape “filled in”) crossed by a vertical line of three gold coins; trail sign: outline of tall boot, toe to left, with “BG” written across top in capital letters.

Falconers’ Guild: despite its name and heraldry, this guild really represents not just the four falcon sellers/breeders/trainers in the city, but also all manner of adventurers, hireswords, sages, wizards for hire, and alchemists (and spends much of its time fighting the influence of the local temple of Gond); banner: blue field, with red chevron (point to the left) on it, and on that a black falcon’s head, side-on with beak to the left and one gold, black-pupilled eye staring out at viewer; trail sign: “V” of spread falcon’s wings, with capital-letters “BG” written where they meet.

So saith Ed. Who is still struggling to get some of his many, many projects finished.
And an apology to all scribes: I may have misled you regarding the Spin A Yarn 06 story. Ed certainly sent it off back in October, but never received any word that it had been received (nor a bounceback of his e-mail). Exhibiting remarkable foolishness, I trusted the WotC website search function to check for it (nothing in Nov or Dec, but a hit in January), and never surfed to the actual page, to read its electronic version (I read the original when visiting Ed). Now it doesn't even show up in the search strings, so I guess it was a mislabeled flag - - or it DID get put up, but has since been lost.
Hmm. Stay tuned.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000