Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2007 :  20:51:30  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
I'll bet that Ed is going to say the Myth Rhynn lore is NDA, so be prepared to not get the answers that you want.

The answer to the other question is that Ed, and his group(s), when they do manage to get together, do play 2e still.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 10 Mar 2007 20:52:16
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2007 :  01:23:44  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen
How many languages would an average person in Faerun know? Would "Common" even be common among those living in very rural or xenophobic areas?
This is an interesting question, because the current language rules seem to give a larger role to tongues like Chondathan and Illuskan, whereas in other lore Common dominates.
quote:
Originally posted by Varl
I'm also curious why, in all of AD&D/FR lore and rules, "common" was never called Human.
You'd call something "human" if you wanted to distinguish it from things that are non-human; speakers of Common don't see it in those terms.
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen
. . . almost certainly the most universal word on Earth must be the Dutch-American, "okay"/"OK". What would be the "Common" equivalent of that in Faerun?
"Well enough," or "Aye (then)."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2007 :  01:43:46  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
I was thinking "aye", myself.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2007 :  16:08:02  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Faraer is right on: "Well enough" or "Aye, then." (The former is used more often between family, friends, and acquaintances, the latter between strangers, but this isn't a hard and fast rule.)
Oh, hello! Hi, all.
This time, Ed briefly surfaces from some VERY hectic writing times to answer this recent query from WalkerNinja: “Wow, I seem to be getting a lot of enjoyment out of Ed Questions instead of Realms Questions lately.
Ed, as a fellow R.E.Howard fan, I was wondering what you perceive to be Howard's "magic?" What makes him a solid author? How have his writings affected yours?
I'm interested in this question because it seems that so many fantasy authors can lay all of their accomplishments at the foot of the altar of Tolkien, and I think REH gets shorted some credit sometimes. Of course, I'm from Texas and I like to see Texans get their due.
Which leads me to another related question...
In Howard's writings magic seems to be "broken," or not balanced. Given a couple of years study and the right book, you can learn some tremendously powerful stuff and make people VERY afraid (I speak of the literature, not of the Game System). This is contrasted by the D&D system which tries to balance everything as best as possible. Since FR predates D&D, I was wondering how you originally conceived of it? Were wizards and sorcerers "cheating" their way to swift power, or did they have to slowly develop skills as surely as anyone else?”
Ed replies:

To me, Howard’s “magic” is his sheer verve and colour. The man is a strong, vivid, driving storyteller. Because he was writing primarily for the pulps, the need to tell “hero triumphs” tales in a fairly short wordcount means that a lot of his plots are very much the same - - but then, ALL writers’ plots, stripped down to bare bones, are very much the same; it’s what we hang on those bones that makes a story entertaining, memorable, or not.
I believe that the four “poles” of modern North American fantasy literature are Tolkien, Howard, Poe feeding into Lovecraft, and the lure of King Arthur; much of the verve and strength of the genre comes from the sheer room between those four writers, for later writers to “move around in.”
You’re quite correct in observing that in most Howard tales magic is evil or corrupting, and its users are to be defeated (even magic items tend to be treacherous or undeserving of trust, and allies who may use magic “pay for it”). To Howard, brawn and wits and self-reliance are the hallmarks of heroism (with “being there for your buddies” the echo note to the self-reliance). Now, not all of Conan’s (or Kull’s, or Solomon Kane’s, or . . .) opponents learn their magic from books; Howard was far more enamored of the secret cult or brotherhood that passes on knowledge in secret for centuries, or users-of-magic who can survive for centuries or even pass into undeath and “live on” that way.
Yet past these superficial categorizations, and bearing in mind that Howard loved keeping his villains as mysterious as possible because it made them more alluring, one can look at his writings and see a great variety of magical powers or results. So aside from them being “unbalanced” (in game terms, although I acknowledge this is also a literary problem lampooned by many critics of Tolkien: good just CAN’T win against this too-mighty evil - - but does), his evil magic-hurlers need not be seen as all the same.
Neither are mine. In the original Realms, magic took all sorts of forms, from table magic and spellsinging (the original spellsinger was a female with a gift for magic; she was almost powerless when alone, and did magic with nothing but her body, dancing nude around a focus, usually a fire - - so if you captured her, you had a nude female who was largely powerless; you couldn’t coerce her into working any useful magic, because she didn’t have the power to work any useful magic alone; she needed to dance with others; the more dancers, the more powerful the possible magic) to book learning and ritual (the classic wizard) to the “strange gift” of draining life energy or stored spell energy or magic item magic and converting it into a discharge, to “magic comes from within and drains me to hurl it” (the sorcerer) to sex magic, to candle magic - - I had all of these. Deliberately.
I never wanted MY Conans to “know” what they were facing. It makes for better storytelling (AND roleplaying) if the heroes are always facing the mysterious and unpredictable. Are they witnessing a rape on an altar? Or a horrific evil ritual? Or a consensual act of consecrated magic designed to work good ends (even at a possible cost of personal pain and sacrifice)? Having that doubt there makes charging the altar a moral choice instead of merely a tactical one, and therefore it “means more,” is more colourful and vivid, and more interesting.
I had some VERY powerful magic (the shoe-shine boy who when bullied by adventurers in the street can obliberate city blocks with his eye-beams) and some very minor (fat, short, lurching old man who can clean and fix shoes at a touch; he doesn’t do this in public, of course; he goes muttering into the back of his shop, works the magic, then comes back out to the customer with the “fixed” shoe and calmly demands his coins). Some of it SEEMED unbalanced (it wasn’t, but then the published Realms has never reflected the true balancing act between opposed power groups, cults, merchant trading guilds, and militaries and police forces), but then, I’ve always tried to teach adventurers that there’s always someone more powerful than you are, there’s always someone to aspire to be as accomplished and powerful as; just because you’re the adventurers, don’t expect to swagger through life knocking everyone over with your little fingers. :}
I had some people who “learned” magic instantly by touching a skull and being possessed by the mind of an ancient wizard, who possessed and controlled them. I had folk who studied for years and built up their magic slow piece by piece (and used it to make money by building and fixing things, never going adventuring). I had folk who hid their magical aptitude and used it to rise in a royal court to exalted levels, and only revealed it when menaced by the PC adventurers they’d hired to be their outside-the-law “fix unpleasant little problems” group. And so on; the variety is the spice.

So saith Ed, who hopes he’s covered the question sufficiently.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 11 Mar 2007 16:10:18
Go to Top of Page

Athenon
Acolyte

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2007 :  05:41:32  Show Profile  Visit Athenon's Homepage Send Athenon a Private Message
Lady Hooded,

I have a question for Ed: I've been following Wolfgang Baur's Open Design projects at Live Journal. For those that don't know, he's taking commission from patrons to create adventure products in small print runs and in PDF format. I was wondering if Ed had ever considered doing something like that. It might be a way to get products out that might otherwise not see the light of day through Wizards...

Thanks!

Will Maranto

Representing the Realms in the Wilds of Northern Louisiana
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2007 :  17:11:03  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message
Hooded Lady

Thanks for being so swift with all of the replies!

I think that it would be interesting to rate North American fantasy authors along the four corners that you suggest: Author X is 34% Tolkien, 16% REH, 40% Poe/Lovecraft, and barely registers in the King Arthur category with 10%.

Now for a Realms question:

D&D (and thus FR) postulate the eternal nature of the soul. Druids have the ability to artificially reincarnate beings. Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series plays VERY heavilly on themes of reincarnation. In the Realms are men and women reincarnated as a matter of course by the nature of the Realms or is this something that only Druids do? I would tend to believe that it doesn't as Myrkul, Cyric, and Kelemvor have continued to issue eternal sentences to departed souls, but the Druid's ability to reincarnate does make me wonder. As a follow-up question, have you read Robert Jordan's books? What is your opinion of them?

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011

Edited by - WalkerNinja on 12 Mar 2007 17:17:54
Go to Top of Page

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2007 :  15:42:18  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight
I highly doubt that you have offended anyone, friend. Believe me, there are many people that I know that have spoken and written English their whole life, and aren't as articulate as you are. By the way, nice ending phrase.

Thank you for your kind words. Now let's hope Mr Greenwood deem my question worthy of a response :)

Pat

Dancing is like standing still, but faster.
My site: http://www.patoumonde.com
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2007 :  17:40:02  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by WalkerNinja

I think that it would be interesting to rate North American fantasy authors along the four corners that you suggest: Author X is 34% Tolkien, 16% REH, 40% Poe/Lovecraft, and barely registers in the King Arthur category with 10%.

But then you'd be so busy comparing the author to other people that you wouldn't be able to enjoy them as authors in their own right. Well, in my opinion anyway.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

RevJest
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2007 :  04:07:51  Show Profile  Visit RevJest's Homepage Send RevJest a Private Message
The Hooded One -- another question for Ed.

Master Greenwood,

In 'the old grey box' Sammereza Sulphontis is, I believe, listed as a Lord of Waterdeep. In the novels I've read that include the Lords, I've never seen him portrayed. Is he still a Lord of Waterdeep? What's his story?

Regards,
RevJest

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2007 :  04:14:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by RevJest

Master Greenwood,

In 'the old grey box' Sammereza Sulphontis is, I believe, listed as a Lord of Waterdeep. In the novels I've read that include the Lords, I've never seen him portrayed. Is he still a Lord of Waterdeep? What's his story?

Regards,
RevJest

He's still listed as such on page 55 of City of Splendors: Waterdeep.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2007 :  04:19:59  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Dear Master Ed and Lady THO,

It is known that Candlekeep is the greatest library of the human races. Which are the greatest libraries of Elves and Dwarves?
Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2007 :  13:42:06  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message
While perhaps not 'the' greatest library of Elven lore, Everdusk Hall in Silverymoon (pg.62 Silver Marches) may be a fairly important one. My guess is that the greatest for Elves would be on Evermeet. For the Dwarves, I'm not sure, but mayhaps Dwarves Deep would list some.
~Kes

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2007 :  14:45:04  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:

Master Greenwood,

Regards,
RevJest

I believe theres a brief mention of him in Elf Song and from memory the other Lords didnt seem to like Sammereza very much (Probably has to do with the fact he has a NE alignment and all the other Lords are Good or Neutral)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2007 :  21:59:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:

Master Greenwood,

Regards,
RevJest

I believe theres a brief mention of him in Elf Song and from memory the other Lords didnt seem to like Sammereza very much (Probably has to do with the fact he has a NE alignment and all the other Lords are Good or Neutral)

I once theorized a NE alignment for him, but later comments made me revise this idea. I know of no such stated alignment for Sammereza -- the 1E and 2E stuff leaves his stats up in the air, and the City of Splendors: Waterdeep specifically states he is true neutral.

Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2007 :  02:02:21  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello Ed,

I'm curious how you deal with players as Barbarians in your games, or dealt with them if anyone bothered to play one? I have noticed a trend of players taking 1st level of the class for the features and I'm curious as to how you handled the whole rage thing. I am under the impression that raging means the Barbarian has to attack either an inanimate object like a door that won't give or an enemy that won't fall. It is often played as just a buff ability with no regard to the concept of the roleplaying of the class at all. I picture a barbarian's raging as it's last ditch attempt to overcome an adversary and either the adversary is going down or the barbarian is. Basically in your game, world, can a barbarian rage and not attack anything at all when it suits him to do so? Can he withdraw from combat while raging to gain a tactical advantage or delay his action till someone else does something that may assist him in battle even if he's already raging and engaged in combat?

Sorry if long-winded question, just trying to put my mind around how this works or should work.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2007 :  03:08:05  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

Master Greenwood,

Regards,
RevJest

I once theorized a NE alignment for him, but later comments made me revise this idea. I know of no such stated alignment for Sammereza -- the 1E and 2E stuff leaves his stats up in the air, and the City of Splendors: Waterdeep specifically states he is true neutral.

Im sure I saw a NE alignment for him in either a 1ed or 2ed product

FR1 says he trades in slaves

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 16 Mar 2007 03:10:13
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2007 :  03:11:39  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, fellow scribes. Ed’s finished one project and took a breather (ha!) by participating in a Game Designers Social at Ryerson University in Toronto last night (with Robin Laws, Malcolm Campbell, etc. etc.) before plunging into his next project. He also took the time to answer some Candlekeep queries.

Patrakis, did you miss Ed’s reply to you about the Dusk Lord? You asked on page 27 of the 06 thread, and reposted your query again on page 43, and Ed answered you on page 83 of the 06 thread, and again on Page 11 of this year’s thread. Reading them through, I think he covered what you asked about on March 8th - - but if not, let us know, okay?

Penknight, in regards to your question: “Oh, how often do they look for fresh ideas and new authors (if you happen to know). Thank you!”
Ed had this to say:

In one sense, Wizards of the Coast is ALWAYS looking for fresh ideas and new authors. In another: it varies, because any publisher is constantly juggling what they want to publish, what they think might be successful if they published it in the near future, known authors, projects “in hand,” and new talent. So if they have more upcoming product slots than tried-and-true writers who are “free” (time-wise) at the moment, of course they will look to new talent. Also, if they don’t think authors in the “stable” are right for a planned project, they’ll look to someone new (and having your stuff published, in a place where they’ll find it, is obviously a strong positive factor at such times).
Check the Books “front page” at the Wizard website every few weeks. Down near the bottom center will be any announcement regarding what lines are open, if they’re looking for new submissions at the moment, and guidelines. (Obviously, FOLLOW those guidelines. :} )
Far more than some other fantasy publishers, Wizards looks for, and publishes, writers who aren’t yet well established. Try to get yourself “on the radar” of the folks who handle WotC’s book publishing, and be polite, professional, write the best darn stuff ever seen, AND BEAT YOUR DEADLINES - - and they’ll love you.

So saith Ed. Who has published somewhere around 160 books, and written over 170 (most publishers take a minimum of nine months to go from a completed manuscript handed in and accepted to a published book sitting on the store shelves).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2007 :  04:34:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Master Greenwood,

Regards,
RevJest

Im sure I saw a NE alignment for him in either a 1ed or 2ed product

FR1 says he trades in slaves

Both FR1 Waterdeep and the North and the City of Splendors boxed set both fail to give any stats. And Steven Schend stated (or at least implied) that Sammy buying slaves wasn't for his personal benefit, it was to get the slaves out of slavery.

But we're really derailing this thread...

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2007 :  13:21:01  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:

Both FR1 Waterdeep and the North and the City of Splendors boxed set both fail to give any stats. And Steven Schend stated (or at least implied) that Sammy buying slaves wasn't for his personal benefit, it was to get the slaves out of slavery.

But we're really derailing this thread...

It's amazing how those little details can completely change a story. Someone who "buys slaves" could be an uncaring bastard or someone trying to give people a chance at freedom. But still, I don't for sure, myself, so...

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 16 Mar 2007 13:22:19
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2007 :  02:36:21  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, scribes.
Here's a quote from Ed on Sammereza:

Sammereza travels the Realms on behalf of Waterdeep (and himself); picture a younger, more agile Mirt; a wheeler-dealer who is a much better actor than Mirt now bothers to be. In other words, a cheerful swindler, but with good intentions and a soft heart--who can be merciless when he has to. THAT'S Sammereza.

So, got it? :}

This time Ed formally answers createvmind, re. this: “Ed how does one determine if an item is cursed in Faerun if the only spell they have available is Identify, I assume the answer is the hard way by donning it. Though I've allowed c of Mystra and the young mage to ramble on about magic this and things going wrong or being corrupted, they have developed a habit of once Identifying item, of donning it if it's useful. They currently came into possesion of a cursed item and I want to make sure if they cast identify they get all relevant info so if they choose to use it then it's on them.
Thanks again”
Ed replies:

Fair enough. One can of course use Legend Lore, Stone Tell if the object is of stone (or partially of stone, or has always been stored in a stone casing), Augury, and - - best of all but rarely thought of - - taking the object to a temple of Mystra, or the altar of a shrine consecrated to Mystra, and making a generous offering. At the temple, the priests will pray to Mystra; at the shrine (unless the PCs are lucky enough to encounter a priest of Mystra there), they’ll have to do the praying themselves, calling on Mystra to reveal if the item has a curse, or “bears magic designed to harm the user.” If this is done, I have always as a DM, using priests of either Mystra or Azuth, ALWAYS revealed to petitioners if the magic item they want examined either: bears an actual curse, is primarily (or entirely) designed to harm or trick the user / wielder, or can do harm to the user /wielder but also has a beneficial use or power that is as strong as the harm. The petitioners don’t learn the nature of the harm unless they are already personally close to the deity (i.e. the Chosen, or a mortal who’s temporarily serving Mystra or Azuth as a personal champion in a task, including fulfilling an atonement or holy duty).
Otherwise, yes, trying it on is the (hard) way ahead.
If I was DMing this situation, I would have an older NPC wizard, scribe, herald, or priest of Mystra, Azuth, or Oghma “warn” the PCs that “’tis always best to pray properly to Mystra, at a temple of the Lady, when one handles unknown magic; she’s not called the Lady of Mysteries for nothing.” If they ask what the heck that means, have the NPC explain fully, as I have done, above.
Then, if they ignore that advice and try to use or don the item, your conscience can be clear.
If cursed items strongly bother you ethically, do what I almost always do, instead: don’t introduce them into your campaign; hand out “real” magic items instead, but have them crumble to dust after a single use, or shatter when used (producing a wild magic effect while doing so).

So saith Ed. A kind, tender-hearted storytelling DM.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 17 Mar 2007 02:46:36
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2007 :  17:51:10  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hello, fellow scribes. Ed’s finished one project and took a breather (ha!) by participating in a Game Designers Social at Ryerson University in Toronto last night (with Robin Laws, Malcolm Campbell, etc. etc.) before plunging into his next project. He also took the time to answer some Candlekeep queries.

Patrakis, did you miss Ed’s reply to you about the Dusk Lord? You asked on page 27 of the 06 thread, and reposted your query again on page 43, and Ed answered you on page 83 of the 06 thread, and again on Page 11 of this year’s thread. Reading them through, I think he covered what you asked about on March 8th - - but if not, let us know, okay?

Penknight, in regards to your question: “Oh, how often do they look for fresh ideas and new authors (if you happen to know). Thank you!”
Ed had this to say:

In one sense, Wizards of the Coast is ALWAYS looking for fresh ideas and new authors. In another: it varies, because any publisher is constantly juggling what they want to publish, what they think might be successful if they published it in the near future, known authors, projects “in hand,” and new talent. So if they have more upcoming product slots than tried-and-true writers who are “free” (time-wise) at the moment, of course they will look to new talent. Also, if they don’t think authors in the “stable” are right for a planned project, they’ll look to someone new (and having your stuff published, in a place where they’ll find it, is obviously a strong positive factor at such times).
Check the Books “front page” at the Wizard website every few weeks. Down near the bottom center will be any announcement regarding what lines are open, if they’re looking for new submissions at the moment, and guidelines. (Obviously, FOLLOW those guidelines. :} )
Far more than some other fantasy publishers, Wizards looks for, and publishes, writers who aren’t yet well established. Try to get yourself “on the radar” of the folks who handle WotC’s book publishing, and be polite, professional, write the best darn stuff ever seen, AND BEAT YOUR DEADLINES - - and they’ll love you.

So saith Ed. Who has published somewhere around 160 books, and written over 170 (most publishers take a minimum of nine months to go from a completed manuscript handed in and accepted to a published book sitting on the store shelves).
love to all,
THO

I appreciate the information very much, thank you!

If I actually get to write for Wizards, I hope that Mr. Greenwood wouldn't mind if I dedicated my book to him. Please send along my thanks, honorable Lady, and a deep felt thanks to you as well.

*hands Hooded One a flower*

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2007 :  18:06:14  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Thank you,

One player in particular is soooooooooooooo deserving of this "cursed" item, but I will again "steer" them into being made aware of the dangers and who to turn to. I can see it now if he actually donned the item. "I have a 18 Intelligence (He can't help but think in turns of stats since he's so cerebral in real-life.) surely I would have known to take this to a temple of Mystra, that's just common sense. What do you mean I can't take it off now, I wouldn't have put it on in the first place. Huh?......Well I OBVIOUSLY assumed that WE had made sure it wasn't cursed when WE were examining it on the road, surely WE passed a shrine of Mystra on the way and WE would have NATURALLY prayed to make sure the item was ok. What? Yes I worship Sarvas but I still should have known this even though I was raised as a slave in Thay, I have an 18 INTELLIGENCE!"

No really he plays like that when something goes wrong in regards to his character, it's quite comical once you get past the annoying part.

Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2007 :  01:04:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ooooh, createvmind, I *itch* to DM your player, and throw NPCs at him that talk and behave EXACTLY as he does, and see if he thinks that's fair and polite behaviour when it's done to him. :}
Ahem.
Hi again, all. This time I bring you an Ed of the Greenwood answer to Kajehase’s query: “Greetings Ed and Our Lovely Lady of the Hood, today I bring yet another question regarding Aglarond.
Races of Faerûn gives us the percentages for how many of the various human ethnicities that dwell in the Altumber and Aglarond regions. However, since the Altumbel region (in the 3rd edition sense) wasn't introduced until [i]Unapproachable East[i], we only have the population figures for Aglarond as a whole - so what I'm wondering is: How large a part of the Aglarondan population dwells in Altumbel? (And while I'm at it: How large a part of the population lives in the Yuirwood? and what is the Half-elf/Human ratio?)”
Ed replies:

Not counting castaways, deliberately-marooned prisoners, and visiting pirates who spend most of their time elsewhere, Altumbel (including the Thousand Swords) is almost entirely populated by humans, and most of them (as given in RACES OF FAERUN) are Damarans, though the pirate and other naval visits have resulted in tiny numbers of almost every sort of human. No one has ever done an accurate count of those who dwell in Altumbel, so I stand with the best estimates known at the court in Velprintalar: that only about 2 in 10 Aglarondans live in the peninsula (and archipelago), and that the population there has been declining for a long time (it was 2.5 in 10 as little as a century ago). Although military depredations tend to fall more heavily on other parts of Aglarond, the weather is harshest (coldest in winter, dampest always, and with the least shelter, firewood, and edible vegetation and protection from wind, ice, and beating sun), and pirates, lawlessness, and malcontents (including blood-feuding longtime local families) wreak more havoc in Altumbel than elsewhere in Aglarond.
Very few Aglarondans, relative speaking, live in the depths of the Yuirwood (as opposed to around the fringes), but I’m going to avoid going into specifics because of what MIGHT be in certain future Wizards of the Coast products. The half-elf to human ratio in Aglarond is 7 half-elves to one human in the Yuirwood fringes, and 3 half-elves out of every 10 Aglarondans in the immediate border between the unbroken forest and farmlands to the north (as far west as Urst). That drops to 2 or 1 in 10 as one goes north to the coast, except in the immediate vicinity of towns and cities with a higher ratio (they’re detailed in UNAPPROACHABLE EAST).
If all of this makes Altumbel sound inhospitable but prime adventuring territory: yep.

So saith Ed. Creator of Altumbel, Aglarond, the Yuirwood, and all those little bitty islands, too.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2007 :  05:12:40  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Dear Ed and Lady THO,

Unlike our world there is certainly no doubt that gods exist. Has there ever been anyone in history that has voiced the opinion that Faerun would be a better place without the meddling of the gods?
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2007 :  22:28:58  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

Dear Ed and Lady THO,

Unlike our world there is certainly no doubt that gods exist. Has there ever been anyone in history that has voiced the opinion that Faerun would be a better place without the meddling of the gods?

Ummm... half the population of fair Faerûn?

No, seriously, I seem to remember that Zeboaster of Ordulin was/is a very passionate and outspoken sage, who has lived in hiding ever since he has angered almost every organization and faith on Toril.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2007 :  22:50:34  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Correct me if I misspeak: but the gods don't meddle except in extremely rare, far-separated cases that few people know about or remember. Rather, folk are aware of 'the gods' as unknowable agents of fate who move behind visible events -- part of the way of things, not interference from without. But many have commented on the gods' fickleness, and the folly of putting too much trust in them, or in priests.
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  02:01:16  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Thanks for the pointer to Zeboaster.

Faraer - that's a good point. By "meddling" I mean their use of powerful organizations and individuals. The Zhentarim and the Chosen would be examples of what I'm thinking of.
Go to Top of Page

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  02:05:59  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Miss One :)

I'm so ashamed i missed Mr. Greenwood response to my query. I may have switched to the 07 thread too soon and missed the last response of the year. And what a response it was. I hope Mr. Greenwood will get my hearthfelt thanks for adressing my question. His answer couldn't be too late either. I'm still in the middle of my Valedale campaign and the retaking of Sessrendale hasn't occured yet. His answer will had a great deal of dept to the history of the sector. And to think he asked for news on how the campaign goes? I mean ... is there a clone of the man???

Well, that's it for me... and thanks again Mr. Greenwood and THO for bringing his words to me.

Sincerely.

Pat

Dancing is like standing still, but faster.
My site: http://www.patoumonde.com

Edited by - Patrakis on 19 Mar 2007 03:40:12
Go to Top of Page

RevJest
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  02:23:55  Show Profile  Visit RevJest's Homepage Send RevJest a Private Message
Master Greenwood,

I've always been fascinated by the idea of Deepspawn! They're such interesting critters. And present so many interesting possibilities.

If a sentient being is eaten by a Deepspawn, what sort of beings come back out? Do they have the same class and level as the original being? Do they think in exactly the same way? And where does the soul or spirit for these new beings come from? Do they have a soul or spirit?

Allowing a Deepspawn to eat you is something I can imagine some desperate people doing, if they were beset by enemies and in desperate need of additional numbers to help protect others.

- RJ

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  02:50:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
RevJest, while Ed will likely have more to add... I'll provide of few of his earlier thoughts on the deepspawn -

"On August 8, 2005 THO said: A Deepspawn duplicates a particular orc (or human, or whatever) it has devoured: endless copies of exactly the same creature. They "come alive" knowing their bodies and how to use them (a human trained with a longsword could use it just as before death), but without prior memories (wizards don't have memorized spells, and human copy A meeting human copy B might say: "You look a lot like my reflection in yon pool," but WOULDN'T immediately say: "Hey, you're me!"

If that helps. That's the way Ed (who created Deepspawn) has always run them, anyway. We Knights ran into quite a few of them.

love,
THO

On August 10, 2005 THO said: And so does Ed. He had a beholder colony (in a human castle) that had done just that, and kept deepspawn close-guarded in some of the lower chambers, spewing out endless weak young beholders to serve as guards, scouts ("want food? go hunt for it!") and ultimately as food for the more powerful senior beholders. The deepspawn had also eaten adventurers, and spewed THEM out as food (and the beholders used them as decoys, when later adventurers came exploring). Deadly.

love,
THO"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000