Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2007 :  16:24:06  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes.
This time Ed responds to createvmind and to George Krashos, respectively, re. these queries: “Mr. Greenwood I was curious as to what are the various types of peacestrings used in the north, Heartlands and the South, and in terms of game mechanics, how long does it take to untie them to pull weapons? What are the equivalent for casters besides the thumb-tie, exactly how is the thumb or fingers tied to prevent somatic casting. And one more thing, do druids have to prepare spells at a certain time of day regularly if at all? Thanks”
and: “Yes, I must say this was something I was going to bring up: where are the peacestrings in "Swords of Eveningstar"?”
Ed replies:

To answer George first, quickly: Edited out. Really; those sorts of details got cut. A lot.
Please also remember: the Swords need not use peacestrings because of the conditions of their charter, no Purple Dragon, War Wizard, Obarskyr, King’s Lord, or herald need use them, no “badged” forester need use peacestrings when in the King’s Forest (includes on any road within the forest, though settled areas are excepted), and no nobles need use them when in walled parts of their own lands (i.e. their mansions) or when hunting; their servants need only use them if the noble orders them to. So there are a LOT of exceptions, and everyone in the realm is allowed a “belt knife” (short-bladed eating knife, though certain dagger designs, such as stilleto types, will earn you arrest right away, because Purple Dragons deem them to have only a killing-another-person use) exception. If you glance at SWORDS OF EVENINGSTAR closely, you’ll see that a great amount of the book actually involves places, situations, or characters that fall under the exceptions.
As to types of peacestrings: anything that passes through rings or holes in a scabbard or swordbelt and in a hilt, and is then knotted, that prevents a blade being drawn clear of its scabbard (it can be drawn a few inches out, to expose enough of a cutting edge to saw at a rope or cord, but never to expose the point or the “bearing edge” just above the point) is valid. Rope, cord, twine, wire, or even a vine or torn strip of cloth. In one memorable Torm moment, when he was in disguise, Jhessail’s thong-like undergarments. :}
A suspicious Purple Dragon will take hold of the weapon’s hilt and tug solidly; if the binding doesn’t part, and allow the weapon to be drawn, it’s okay.
Failing the presence of holes for a binding to secure through, a knot that binds the weapon from being swiftly and easily drawn is required (in 2nd edition terms, it takes a character a round to untie it, though they can also hunker down, or move steadily in one direction while undoing the knot). Usually such knots are ornate and “showy,” though adventurers are warned that most veteran Purple Dragons (e.g. almost all First Swords and up) are familiar with the majority of knots that look complicated but can be pulled open at a single tug, just at a glance. White or cream-hued silken cords as thick as a man’s thumb are often used in “dress” situations for peace-stringing.
It should be noted that Cormyr has peacestrings, but most “mercantile” crossroads or port cities such as Waterdeep, Crimmor, Westgate and Scornubel do not. It’s by no means widespread.
Handbinding for casters is even less used. Where used, however, it often consists of three things: one hand is thumb-bound (thumb to palm) AND waist-tethered (on a cord that allows that wrist to be moved about a foot out from the waist), and the other hand is bound flat to a “paddle” called a “strontor” (a triangular wooden board to which the hand is tied down flat, often with leather loops for the fingers and thumb to be slipped through, and just a tied binding for the wrist, to keep the hand from readily being slipped out of the strontor).
Years ago, it was briefly popular to construct enspelled strontors of shavings and sawdust, with a drop of wine or urine being used in the spell; this meant that a touch of wine or urine to the strontor later would make it disintegrate instantly, freeing the hand without any need for untying. However, that works only where there are no War Wizards or similar “lots of wizards on the street or at city gates, as part of the authorities,” because such “cheating strontors” radiate a dweomer and so can be magically detected.
As for druids: in some rare cases, certain spells should be prepared at a time that coincides with natural events (moonrise or in the moonlight, during a rainfall or at dusk or at sunrise, in full sun or during an eclipse, and so on), but in general, a “certain time of day regularly” doesn’t apply. Unless, of course, your DM wants it to. :}
However, various nature deities may want their devout followers to fulfill certain conditions before seeking spells. Silvanus may want a druid to water or otherwise tend a wild-growing plant first, for example. See FAITHS AND PANTHEONS for stipulations (e.g. Mielikki: morning and evening, plus a certain ritual).

So saith Ed. Who once had Mielikki require Florin to perform a ritual involving a horn she caused to appear on his forehead; he had to chase down and gore her, to shed her blood. It upset him greatly, which raised him in her estimation, confirming her choice of him for the more intimate task he later performed (trying to be delicate in my wording here, Sage).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2007 :  17:01:11  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Priceless..........

Thank you. Hope Torm wasn't traumatized by that experience.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2007 :  18:30:26  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Agreed, J K. I lust for the time Wizards starts compiling Ed's website Realmslore and printing them as books. I'd buy them (but then, I'd buy a collection of real-world-useless Ed-written fantasy recipes, too)!

(snip)

D'accord!!! I'd like to see Realmslore in a paperback trilogy (maybe an "Encyclopedia Realmsica"?), rigorously indexed. I was able to spare Ed a question yesterday because The Sage had clued me in to DragonDex a couple of weeks ago, which had all the information I needed. Frequently I find myself asking Ed or the other writers information which is in published Realms books which I have, but which have no indices so that I can't just look up the answer in what might be the appropriate book; if it ain't in the Table of Contents, fuggedaboudit!

Ideally, an "Encyclopedia Realmsica" should have a master index to all published Realms books and products, TSR and WotC both. That index would go out of date quickly, but it would be much better than the current haze of ignorance which hovers over so many of us Realms scholars for want of a decent index or twelve.

Ahem! A question! -- about dice level caps on spells cast by Netherese survivors. Mystra, Mark I, imposed a cap on the number of damage dice for most spells (5Dx, 10Dx, or whatever), but when Netherese survivors cast the original versions of the spells, are they limited by those same caps? For example, when Larloch casts "General Mattick's Missile," does he cart out all of the D4s in Warlock's Crypt, or is he limited to the same maximum number of dice as anyone casting the contemporary spell, "Magic Missile," because Mystra has altered how all spells interact with the Weave?

Inquiring arcanists want to know!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2007 :  23:28:59  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message
ED & the ever Mysterious THO,

There is a thread regarding Good Guy's Vs Bad Guy's on the keep's board called: Do the good guy's win to much! and another thread (by me) on creating & playing an utter evil character.

My questions are these :

Why, apart from standard structure do nearly all novels have the good guy's winning??

Surley in the Realms there has been a time where one evil faction or another has been on the winning side? or else how did the the Red Wizards for example or the Zhents or any of the others start and grow there base of operations?

When will ED write a novel on Bad Guy's winning???

If Ed would like? I have part of a novel written he can read, where the main character is a Fallen Angel! A Paladin gone BAD! which I am working on. I would like to hear his (and yours THO) views on it so far!

Delz

I'm Back!

Edited by - Delzounblood on 03 Mar 2007 23:31:39
Go to Top of Page

EvilKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2007 :  13:05:14  Show Profile  Visit EvilKnight's Homepage Send EvilKnight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

(snip)

D'accord!!! I'd like to see Realmslore in a paperback trilogy (maybe an "Encyclopedia Realmsica"?), rigorously indexed. I was able to spare Ed a question yesterday because The Sage had clued me in to DragonDex a couple of weeks ago, which had all the information I needed. Frequently I find myself asking Ed or the other writers information which is in published Realms books which I have, but which have no indices so that I can't just look up the answer in what might be the appropriate book; if it ain't in the Table of Contents, fuggedaboudit!

Ideally, an "Encyclopedia Realmsica" should have a master index to all published Realms books and products, TSR and WotC both. That index would go out of date quickly, but it would be much better than the current haze of ignorance which hovers over so many of us Realms scholars for want of a decent index or twelve.

Hail Jamallo,

FYI, there is the beginnings of an attempt to do that here at CK. See
Forgotten Realms Index. It has a long way to go and my never be complete. It is still faster and much more informative to ask the scribes here at CK.

EvilKnight

Danali Index
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2007 :  13:46:16  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
I recently commissioned artist Andrew Hou who has been quite prolific in WotC publications to do rather nice piece of my character and his family.

Meet Alorin, Sabrine, and their son Delen....and my rl cat Speedy who i had worked in hehe.

http://www.imagehosting.com/view.php/10296_comissionfinaldesktop.jpg.html

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 04 Mar 2007 14:03:13
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2007 :  17:27:05  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Dear Ed and Lady THO,

We know that there are human merchants who venture into the bazaars of the Underdark. Are there merchants who dare to trade with goblins and other savage communities on the surface world?

And a seperate question: has there ever been instances where ordinary humans have tried to offer mundane services to wealthy dragons? For example, house-keeping, scale-cleaning, vermin-control.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2007 :  20:35:06  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Delzounblood

This is just my opinion but...I think it depends on what is meant by bad guys "winning". If it means "the protagonist loses utterly, and the bad guys take all", I doubt we will see such a book. Mainly, because it kind of goes against what makes a good story--is a story even worth telling if we are just going to read about people who are already on top and in control (the antagonists) easily defeat those who are trying to overcome the obstacles the antagonists have put in their way?

On the other hand, if by "winning" you mean that the bad guys take some victories and aren't utterly defeated...I'd say that's already occured in certain stories Ed has written. Ed doesn't strike me as the kind of author who always leaves the bad guys utterly crushed for good.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 04 Mar 2007 20:36:36
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2007 :  21:57:19  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
There's Crucible by Troy Denning. That was hugely entertaining and the bad guys utterly dominate the ending.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2007 :  01:32:06  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all. A few very swift replies from Ed for divers scribes:

First, in answer to Jamallo Kreen’s query: “Ahem! A question! -- about dice level caps on spells cast by Netherese survivors. Mystra, Mark I, imposed a cap on the number of damage dice for most spells (5Dx, 10Dx, or whatever), but when Netherese survivors cast the original versions of the spells, are they limited by those same caps? For example, when Larloch casts "General Mattick's Missile," does he cart out all of the D4s in Warlock's Crypt, or is he limited to the same maximum number of dice as anyone casting the contemporary spell, "Magic Missile," because Mystra has altered how all spells interact with the Weave?
Inquiring arcanists want to know!”
Ed replies:

Yes, Mystra has altered how all spells interact with the Weave, so unless the caster of an original Netherese spell can convince her or Azuth to ‘bend’ the Weave for just their casting (good luck on that!) they are capped, too.

So saith Ed. Who adds a response to Delzounblood’s queries: “Why, apart from standard structure do nearly all novels have the good guy's winning??
Surley in the Realms there has been a time where one evil faction or another has been on the winning side? or else how did the the Red Wizards for example or the Zhents or any of the others start and grow there base of operations?
If Ed would like? I have part of a novel written he can read, where the main character is a Fallen Angel! A Paladin gone BAD! which I am working on. I would like to hear his (and yours THO) views on it so far!”
Ed replies:

“Nearly all novels” have that structure because most human readers want to know that good triumphs, and publishers know that (unless there’s a clear promise of a later book in which good might win, as in a labelled trilogy or saga, e.g. “Book One of”) sales will suffer if good doesn’t win. (Or, in a romance, if the hero and heroine don’t wind up with each other.)
TSR/WotC Realms novels have that structure because strict sets of Code of Ethics have applied, down the years, mandating that. In short, we were forced to write “good guys win” novels (hence the Keystone Kops-incompetent Zhents of early books). That has slowly been relaxed (as for how CRUCIBLE got that way, it must have had full editorial approval).
You’re quite right that evil must triumph to set up those established powerful evil organizations - - and if you check Realmslore, you’ll see many, many historical instances of the bad guys winning (fall of Myth Drannor, etc.).
I will write such a Realms novel when I receive editorial approval to do so (if you don’t consider HAND OF FIRE to be that already). Check out my next Tor Books novel, DARK WARRIOR RISING, due out in September 07, for a ‘“sort of” good guys winning, but a lot of bad guys winning, too’ novel.

So saith Ed, who to createvmind says:

Yes, Torm was traumatized by Florin goring Mielikki. Traumatized that he wasn’t invited to do the goring himself, somewhat lower down, with another part of his anatomy. Ahem.

So saith Ed again. And, last but not least, Ed saith thus to Alorin Dawn:

Very nice pic. Money well spent, I’d say. The Pentacon website you were directed to in this thread is of course last year’s. I will check with my friend, Lisa Adams, the heart behind the con, for news of an updated web presence for the 07 version of the con, and report back to you here when I have news.

So saith Ed. Who’s done for now, as am I.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2007 :  01:49:32  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Delzounblood

ED & the ever Mysterious THO,

There is a thread regarding Good Guy's Vs Bad Guy's on the keep's board called: Do the good guy's win to much! and another thread (by me) on creating & playing an utter evil character.

My questions are these :

Why, apart from standard structure do nearly all novels have the good guy's winning??

If Ed would like? I have part of a novel written he can read, where the main character is a Fallen Angel! A Paladin gone BAD! which I am working on. I would like to hear his (and yours THO) views on it so far!

Delz

I don't know if it is still in print, but Villains by Necessity by Eve Forward is an interesting case of the villains having to save the world from destruction from being too good.

It has an interesting take on villains as the good guys involve themselves with genoside of evil creatures and using magic to remove the ability to do evil from people. It also so some of the noble side of villains as they try to work together for their common goal, and discover like Elminster said good and evil are not always as black and white.

I would recommend it for any campaign where the bad guys are the PC. So check out your library or used books store.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2007 :  10:26:13  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

So saith Ed. Who adds a response to Delzounblood’s queries: “Why, apart from standard structure do nearly all novels have the good guy's winning??
If Ed would like? I have part of a novel written he can read, where the main character is a Fallen Angel! A Paladin gone BAD! which I am working on. I would like to hear his (and yours THO) views on it so far!”
Ed replies:

“Nearly all novels” have that structure because most human readers want to know that good triumphs, and publishers know that (unless there’s a clear promise of a later book in which good might win, as in a labelled trilogy or saga, e.g. “Book One of”) sales will suffer if good doesn’t win. (Or, in a romance, if the hero and heroine don’t wind up with each other.) TSR/WotC Realms novels have that structure because strict sets of Code of Ethics have applied, down the years, mandating that. In short, we were forced to write “good guys win” novels(hence the Keystone Kops-incompetent Zhents of early books). That has slowly been relaxed (as for how CRUCIBLE got that way, it must have had full editorial approval).
You’re quite right that evil must triumph to set up those established powerful evil organizations - - and if you check Realmslore, you’ll see many, many historical instances of the bad guys winning (fall of Myth Drannor, etc.).
I will write such a Realms novel when I receive editorial approval to do so (if you don’t consider HAND OF FIRE to be that already). Check out my next Tor Books novel, DARK WARRIOR RISING, due out in September 07, for a ‘“sort of” good guys winning, but a lot of bad guys winning, too’ novel.

So saith Ed. Who’s done for now, as am I.
love to all,
THO

Thanks THO for passing on such a quick response, I know the creator is a busy mage er sorry man!
And Thanks Ed for your answer.

But surely regarding the:

quote:
TSR/WotC Realms novels have that structure because strict sets of Code of Ethics have applied, down the years, mandating that. In short, we were forced to write “good guys win” novels

There is need for a balance, I know we, the readers, may have a biased view point on Realmsian novels, wanting novels to reflect "true" to our perceptions of realmsian life. And we, to be honest don't look at this from a corprate view point, But we are the buyers of these novels and from my discussions on this matter here on the keep, I belive there is a market for more "Evil Wins Novels".

quote:

I will write such a Realms novel when I receive editorial approval to do so

I hope this can carrys through to a few more books being published! I know Erik Scott de Bie has some very good ideas on Evil Character types (he assisted me in creating my Fallen Angel char along with another scribe)

quote:

Check out my next Tor Books novel, DARK WARRIOR RISING, due out in September 07, for a ‘“sort of” good guys winning, but a lot of bad guys winning, too’ novel.

Consider it as good as bought!

Thanks again
Delz

I'm Back!

Edited by - Delzounblood on 05 Mar 2007 12:16:33
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2007 :  14:26:33  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message
Ed,

A little more exploration of peacestrings if you would. During 2E, this wasn't a big problem, but now that monks are back... How does a monk surrender his "arms" or bind them peaceably in Cormyr and still be able to function normally?

Its cliche', and my players never tire of it when the Gate Guard or tavern keeper asks the party to surrender their weapons, inevitably the monk starts twisting at his own wrist and saying "sorry."

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2007 :  14:36:39  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by WalkerNinja
A little more exploration of peacestrings if you would. During 2E, this wasn't a big problem, but now that monks are back... How does a monk surrender his "arms" or bind them peaceably in Cormyr and still be able to function normally?
The short answer: he doesn't.

The long answer is that no one (except traitors, renegade wizards, and criminals) is required to walk through Cormyr completely deprived of the ability to defend themselves. A belt-knife--for eating, though not (as Ed described) stiletto-type daggers, nor extra-long 'Crocodile Dundee'-style blades--and a staff (which is presumed to be for travel) is permitted to anyone who carries one. Skilled unarmed fighters, it is assumed, can pull their punches, and would not resort to lethal attacks unless necessary...
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2007 :  18:38:43  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Ed, to help us do rules write-ups of the six new common spells you provided, could you suggest levels for each of them? Here's a thread.
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2007 :  22:04:57  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello Ed,

I Think I asked an extinct question sometime back, do elsewhales exist in the realms, did they ever? Am I saying it right, the flying air whale in one of the MM's.

Or is it a Soarwhale, whichever one naturally flies through the air.

Edited by - createvmind on 06 Mar 2007 18:16:46
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  01:59:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, fellow scribes. This time Ed responds to this, from EricKRod: “Mr. Greenwood, Thank you for the response. Your detailed information definitely will help me in the future. I have been a Forgotten Realms fan since it first came out in the 80's. However I will have to admit that I am a Robert E. Howard fan first. I current am a freelance writer for Mongoose Publishing working on the Conan rpg and have written and published several adventures and articles. Still, I will have to admit that the Forgotten Realms still holds my attention more and I can't read enough of the Realms. I was wondering if you were going to be at Gen Con Indy this year? Did you know they were going to have a Robert E. Howard Day? If you are interested in reading anything from the new Conan rpg and don't have access, just let me know and I will send you some stuff, free of charge.
Anyways, enough babbling. About the campaign.
There are three main characters, who all happen to be related. There are cousins and one is a Ranger of Mielikki, a Warrior/Priest of Lathander and finally a Paladin of Lathander. The Paladin is the one who claims he is a descendent of the Dusk Lord.
He has led his two cousins, followers and retainers along with priests of Lathander and Chauntea to Sessrendale to reclaim the land. The paladin, Justerian Whitehelm, having had a dream from Lathander, re-named the dale "Dawndale". The Warrior/Priest, Lars Bloodsworth, has begun construction of a keep on the north end of the dale to counter threats from the Zhentarim. The Ranger, Advorcass Darkbow, has strong ties with Mistledale and has convinced several half-elves and humans to build a village on the southern edge of the Cormanthor woods, west of Deepingdale.
Justerian has begun construction of a fortress that abuts the Thunder Peaks near the base of the river that flows out of those mountains and eventually empties into Lake Sember. The fortress, Immarel, is named after his deceased mother. A temple of Lathander will reside within it and a large plot of land with an abbey to Chauntea on it is being built about three miles east from the fortress. Dwarves from the lost clan (is Patrakis a dwarven clan name or a different type of humanoid?) are helping with the construction of the fortress as well as providing mineral and ore from the Peaks.
(I had the dwarves provide iron, copper and some semi-precious stones. I didn't want the characters to have access to gold, mithral or something so valuable that they would be filthy rich too quick or attract the attention of some very powerful individuals).
So far relations with Archendale have been strained and the other dales are indifferent. Cormyr has been very forthcoming with promises of aid if needed and the characters are unsure if the help is genuine or if Cormyr is just looking for a reason to extend their influence beyond the Thunder Peaks. Since the characters started out in Cormyr and have some ties there, they are taking the support in good faith...at least for now.
All the undead wandering around make it easy for me to keep the characters occupied. I mean followers of Lathander and Undead just go hand in hand. However I was going to have the Dusk Lord appear from time to time as either an information npc or help out the characters when they might need it. However since he is Undead, and very powerful I find it difficult to justify him staying around or even helping the characters out.
What do you think?”
Ed replies:

Eric, you’re very welcome. I’m a longtime Howard fan, too (including Kull, Bran Mak Morn, and even Breckenridge Elkins, not just Conan), and I’d love to see the new Conan RPG. However, I do plan to be at GenCon Indy (I didn’t know about the REH day, but then my Net access is so lousy I can barely even see the GenCon site, let alone navigate around in it), and I like to buy my games. For one thing, it helps to make sure the manufacturers are around to produce more great games, next year. :}
I would not have the Dusk Lord stay around or directly help players if I was DMing the situation you describe. I’d have him appear in dream visions, speaking cryptically or showing places (where a secret door or lost key is, for example) by “walking and doing” in the dream vision. In the PCs waking time, I’d have him appear only as a momentary silent apparition (as a guide: e.g. the secret door is where he was standing, or the body or treasure is buried under where they saw him standing), or whisper timely advice “in their ears” (he can’t be seen or felt) if they’ve gotten themselves into a desperate situation, and need help. (He could warn them about a trap, ruse, or hidden foe ahead, for example.)
Otherwise, he may be just as suspicious of them as they should be of Cormyr. :}

So saith Ed. Who once wrote an issue of Conan for a comic book that got cancelled before it got drawn. (No, it’s not Ed’s to release or display; Conan has been “heavily lawyered” since before Ed was born.)
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 11 Mar 2007 16:09:21
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  02:50:55  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Well met, all!

Ed, today I have a question on worshipful nomenclature. In West Semitic and Indo-European languages, it is typical (perhaps even the norm) to refer to the local god as "Lord" (Adonai, Ba'al, Dominus, Freyr, etc.) and the local goddess as "Lady" (Ba'alat, Domina, Freya, etc.). In translation, this can sometimes lead to confusion as to whether a human or a divine ruler is being addressed. In the Realms, is there a clear linguistic difference between the terms for mortal "Lords and Ladies," and divine beings whom *we* -- in translation -- would call by the same titles? If so, what are the different terms (mortal versus divine) in some of the principal Realms languages (e.g., Chondathan, Illuskan, Alzhedo, Damaran, and modern Common)? When you have the opportunity, would you also please include the terms in some older languages (e.g., Thorass, Loross, Netherese, Talfir and so on)? Many thanks!

Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  03:35:19  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello Ed,

Like a revolving door in here now, where are Titans hiding in Faerun and what exactly are they doing while the world turns? Also does the addition of the Shadow Rend spell mean that shadow weave knowledge is not a secret anymore?
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  03:43:41  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by EvilKnight

quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

(snip)

Hail Jamallo,

FYI, there is the beginnings of an attempt to do that here at CK. See
Forgotten Realms Index. It has a long way to go and my never be complete. It is still faster and much more informative to ask the scribes here at CK.

EvilKnight

Oh, bravo!

I just posted on Eric's scroll asking for more about Bwimb and Gormauth Souldrinker. I had no idea that "Bwimb" was a placename, and now I know to look to FOR2 for old lore, at least, about Gormauth Souldrinker.

Thanks for the link! May it please the gods, WotC will take that index from cyberspace into print, as they are going to do with the wonderful Chronology of the Realms.

But what on Earth will Ed do if we all know where to look for tidbits of Realmslore which we nag him about nowadays? We shall have to select random names of people, places and things and demand more details, I suppose, until WotC hires him to write an Encyclopedia Realmsica for a positively huge sum of money, and throws a chauffered car, secretary, and cook into the deal so that he may devote every waking moment to it!

Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  21:26:25  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message
Wow, I seem to be getting a lot of enjoyment out of Ed Questions instead of Realms Questions lately.

Ed, as a fellow R.E.Howard fan, I was wondering what you percieve to be Howard's "magic?" What makes him a solid author? How have his writings affected yours?

I'm interested in this question because it seems that so many fantasy authors can lay all of their accomplishments at the foot of the altar of Tolkien, and I think REH gets shorted some credit sometimes. Of course, I'm from Texas and I like to see Texans get their due.

Which leads me to another related question...

In Howard's writings magic seems to be "broken," or not balanced. Given a couple of years study and the right book, you can learn some tremendously powerful stuff and make people VERY afraid (I speak of the literature, not of the Game System). This is contrasted by the D&D system which tries to balance everything as best as possible. Since FR predates D&D, I was wondering how you originally concieved of it? Were wizards and sorcerers "cheating" their way to swift power, or did they have to slowly develop skills as surely as anyone else?

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011

Edited by - WalkerNinja on 07 Mar 2007 21:30:11
Go to Top of Page

thom
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  22:15:04  Show Profile Send thom a Private Message
Hey THO! A question for you. We're having a discussion about tobacco & snuff in another thread; have the Knights ever run across cigar-chomping or snuff-snorting NPCs? If yes, can you give us a rough idea of how much more Ed charged for cigars and snuff as compared to tobacco smoked in pipes?

If you can't remember, then could you please pass this on as a question to Ed? Thanks much!
Go to Top of Page

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2007 :  17:18:19  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message
Hi there, since the subject of the dusklord was adressed, i thought to bring this question to Mr Greenwood.

It concerns Sessrendale and the Dusk lord. My current campaign involves the descendants of survivors from the genocide of Sessrendale. You see, i my campaign, some survivors from the attacks of Archendale fled not to Battledale or some other dales but they travel toward the east, toward Anauroch and stopped in a little vale between the southerned tip of spiderhaunt woods and the desertmouth mountains. They founded a new dale there called Valedale or some call it the secret dale or the pocket dale :) They were embraced by a dwarven clan who protected them for some years, just the time it took to settle in and build some settlements. They've been living there, very out the way, for a little more than a hundred years now.

My campaign starts with the return of the dusk lord and since i haven't found that much information about him, i wondered if you could share with me some of your thoughts on what would occur if the dusk lord had survived in some way the attacks from Archendale. What could he have become in that time? I am at that stage of designing the campaign and quite frankly, it would be an honour to get your point of view about the idea i put forth and your knowledge of the Dusk lord. I read somewhere that archendale were experimenting weird manifestations, hauntings some might say, and it seems that surviving families of the archendale agressors are the main targets. Would this be the Dusk lord manifesting his vengeance? Any information on this part of the realms would be very appreciated and cherished.

As you can see by now, (and that is the main reason i was so hesitant to write before) my skills at writing in the english language are very poor. I am a french canadian living in Quebec and even though i can make myself understood most of the time, writing to Ed Greenwood was very intimidating for me, considering my skills. Anyway, i took the chance. I hope i haven't offended anybody with some strange phrase construction or something.

Well that's about it then. And as they say in Valedale sir, may your gaze reach the horizon and your heart touch the sky. (sounds better in french)

Patrakis

Dancing is like standing still, but faster.
My site: http://www.patoumonde.com
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2007 :  19:38:01  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
Since we're on Howard and I'm waiting to find out whether Prince-Consorts are expected to be faithful and how Cormyrian Royal Weddings go.

In proper-Conan like fashion, are there any kingdoms where a usurper (i.e. a PC) could probably take control?

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2007 :  15:55:36  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Patrakis

Hi there, since the subject of the dusklord was adressed, i thought to bring this question to Mr Greenwood.

It concerns Sessrendale and the Dusk lord. My current campaign involves the descendants of survivors from the genocide of Sessrendale. You see, i my campaign, some survivors from the attacks of Archendale fled not to Battledale or some other dales but they travel toward the east, toward Anauroch and stopped in a little vale between the southerned tip of spiderhaunt woods and the desertmouth mountains. They founded a new dale there called Valedale or some call it the secret dale or the pocket dale :) They were embraced by a dwarven clan who protected them for some years, just the time it took to settle in and build some settlements. They've been living there, very out the way, for a little more than a hundred years now.

My campaign starts with the return of the dusk lord and since i haven't found that much information about him, i wondered if you could share with me some of your thoughts on what would occur if the dusk lord had survived in some way the attacks from Archendale. What could he have become in that time? I am at that stage of designing the campaign and quite frankly, it would be an honour to get your point of view about the idea i put forth and your knowledge of the Dusk lord. I read somewhere that archendale were experimenting weird manifestations, hauntings some might say, and it seems that surviving families of the archendale agressors are the main targets. Would this be the Dusk lord manifesting his vengeance? Any information on this part of the realms would be very appreciated and cherished.

As you can see by now, (and that is the main reason i was so hesitant to write before) my skills at writing in the english language are very poor. I am a french canadian living in Quebec and even though i can make myself understood most of the time, writing to Ed Greenwood was very intimidating for me, considering my skills. Anyway, i took the chance. I hope i haven't offended anybody with some strange phrase construction or something.

Well that's about it then. And as they say in Valedale sir, may your gaze reach the horizon and your heart touch the sky. (sounds better in french)

Patrakis

I highly doubt that you have offended anyone, friend. Believe me, there are many people that I know that have spoken and written English their whole life, and aren't as articulate as you are. By the way, nice ending phrase.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2007 :  19:12:23  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Patrakis

(snip)

Patrakis

Ed has previously said that he is not offended when non-native-speakers-of-English write to him.

Dare I speak for most native English speakers and say that we're more offended by our own people who cannot express themselves in their own native language. (Must. Supress. Urge. To reference. Real world. Example!)

To leap far, far off the topic, I commend a particular episode of "Degrassi: The Next Generation" ("Degrassi - La nouvelle génération") to the attention of anyone who has "Noggin" on US cable TV (I don't what it's on in Canada). It's the movie-within-the-episode, "Jay and Silent Bob Go to Canada." Alanis (Morisette -- I'm old enough to remember when she didn't use her surname) as "The Principal" delivers a wonderful speech to Jay and Silent Bob to impress upon them the advantages of being bilingual:

"Alanis Morisette/Principal: [to Jay and Silent Bob] You boys are too bloody stupid to make the grade down in the States and your last hope is the school system of the great white north, eh? You want to get oot of grade 12?

Silent Bob: [Silent Bob nods vigorously]

Alanis Morisette/Principal: You better start learning what the metric system is all aboot!

Jay: I've got three words for you. Go... to...

Alanis Morisette/Principal: [smacks him across the jaw with a hockey stick] There'll be no more cuss words out of you, you potty-mouthed mallrats. You're gonna learn the dual languages of my home and native land, or you're gonna savor my poutine. 'Cuz you're in Canada now, eh?"

Which leads to a question for Ed! FRCS indicates that most PCs might learn a lot of languages, depending on their species and home region. But those are PCs. How many languages would an average person in Faerun know? Would "Common" even be common among those living in very rural or xenophobic areas?

Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2007 :  19:42:06  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message
quote:
How many languages would an average person in Faerun know? Would "Common" even be common among those living in very rural or xenophobic areas?

I'm also curious why, in all of AD&D/FR lore and rules, "common" was never called Human. We all assume common is "the universal, humanocentric, constant language that everyone can speak so peoples all across Faerun can communicate with one another", but it always felt a bit like calling the English language "tongue" or something.

I've since decided long ago that the "common" tongue in the game is merely the human tongue, the "English" of the Realms. There are obviously derivatives of that language throughout the Realms, but like on Terra, if you hear it, you can probably understand it or enough of it to matter.

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2007 :  19:59:48  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Varl

quote:
How many languages would an average person in Faerun know? Would "Common" even be common among those living in very rural or xenophobic areas?

I'm also curious why, in all of AD&D/FR lore and rules, "common" was never called Human. We all assume common is "the universal, humanocentric, constant language that everyone can speak so peoples all across Faerun can communicate with one another", but it always felt a bit like calling the English language "tongue" or something.

I've since decided long ago that the "common" tongue in the game is merely the human tongue, the "English" of the Realms. There are obviously derivatives of that language throughout the Realms, but like on Terra, if you hear it, you can probably understand it or enough of it to matter.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with all of that, but I am reminded of a question which I have long failed to ask: almost certainly the most universal word on Earth must be the Dutch-American, "okay"/"OK". What would be the "Common" equivalent of that in Faerun?

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2007 :  20:26:47  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Varl

quote:

Well, there are bits and pieces of FR lore about Common. It's a trade tongue that spread throughout Faerun via merchants/traders/etc and so it's a "universal" tongue. However, there will be different dialects, etc.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

boddynock
Learned Scribe

Belgium
258 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2007 :  20:29:06  Show Profile  Visit boddynock's Homepage Send boddynock a Private Message
Hello Mr. Greenwood & Mylady The Hooded One (*bow for both of you with respect*

I would like to ask you a little bit of advice for my campaign. One of the main characters is Iskar, an elven druid who want to learn more about the death of his father. Iskar’s father ,Volundr, was a man who dreamed about reclaiming Myth Rhynn and to purify the area of the evil taint. During his quest, he realised very soon that his dream was almost impossible to fulfil (the sickening aura around Myth Rhynn, the undeads etc ..). Volundr and his comrades limited themselves trying to recapture as much as possible magical items from Myth Rhynn. They also located a magical portal in the vicinity of the Mythal. Volundr was sure that the portal was a way to go into Myth Rhynn but that was a bad mistake. When they opened the portal they made a link between Faerûn and a contested area of Githzerai & Githyanki. Both parties went to the portal and came in the realms. It didn’t took long before Volundr’s group made a pact with the Githzerai, ‘cause that was the only way they could stand against the “combined” forces of Githyanki & Myth Rhynn. (Githyanki & the forces of Myth Rhynn also fight against each other)

Now years later, Iskar has learned the truth about his father’s quest and he want to go to Myth Rhynn to avenge his father. (at the moment he doesn’t know the exact nature of his foes). My question for you is if you know more about the circumstances in Myth Rhynn? Who is the lich that took shelter in the old mythal and what are his long term plans? I was also wondering if you could give me a few good tips or events that could happen in the vicinity?

I also have a more personal question, but I'm not sure if that question is already asked. As, the creator of the Forgotten Realms (one of my favorite campaigns ... so I'm very grateful for this), I was wondering if you still play the game as DM or player? If yes, what kind of character do you play?

This is my first question to Mr. Greenwood and I have to confess that just like Patrakis, I was a bit reluctant to post here because English isn’t my native language too (I speak Flemish dutch)

Thank you very much for your time

Boddynock "Alleslosh" Turen
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000