Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Anyone stat out Ed's '6 most common' spells yet?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

thom
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2007 :  21:56:42  Show Profile Send thom a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey sages!

Has anyone tried to make 3.5 stats for Ed's "6 most common" but unknown spells yet? I'm mainly interested in the Whirlblade and the Word of Valor spells. I'm considering making Whirlblade a wizard only spell, at second or third level; second because it's similar to the Haste spell but only lasts 1 round; and it would be activated with a swift action as the user gave the command. And I can't even begin to think where to start with Word of Valor!

Any ideas/thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2007 :  18:23:35  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope someone less rules-rusty than me gives them a shot. 2E as well as 3E.
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
As usual, I'm WAY too tearingly busy to do proper, full 3.5e (or any edition!) spell writeups, but if I can just describe the spells, here's a swift answer. Six of the most common "not yet seen" Realms wizards' spells include the following:

Ambra's Kiss: named for its half-elven creator (a sometime Waterdhavian prostitute), this silent spell is cast by the caster thinking of its incantation while biting, kissing, or sucking on the flesh of the intended target creature. There is a "stiff" (see the end of the Whirlblade note, below) saving throw to avoid its effects, but if successful, it causes the recipient to go blind for 1 round and suffer a drastic loss of strength for 2 rounds (-14 Str on first round, reduced to -7 Str on the second); there are various levels of saves that either reduce the effects to blindness only, or the strength loss to 1 round only; the spell is often used to escape a captor of superior strength, or prevent them doing something for long enough for the caster to ready another weapon or spell to deal with them, or for aid to arrive.

Fleshmask: instant, silent illusory alteration of caster's or a same-race recipient's (who must be willing, and face-touched by caster) face, affecting eye color, hair color, and shape of nose, cheeks, and jaw. Can't affect teeth, length and style of hair, or skin color, can't change voice or affect lisps and the like. Caster must concentrate on either a known face, or features (nose, hair color) they have previously seen, and spell confers these features (exact duplication not possible, but could fool someone who hasn't recently (or has never closely) seen "the real" person being duplicated; lasts 1 round/caster level for caster, and half that (to a minimum of 2 rounds) when cast on a recipient.

Nantha's Bladeseek: detects [conveying rough idea of size and location of each one] edged and/or pointed metal weapons within 20 feet of caster (can "see" through only 1 foot thickness of stone, 3 foot thickness of earth), or on the person of a single target creature, who must be visible to the caster during casting and within 90 feet of caster; the spell is easily blocked by many magics, but tells its caster it's being foiled).

Swordwood: transforms a single sheathed or "bare" single-bladed metal weapon, of maximum length four feet, into shaped wood or a tree bough. Spell ends instantly if the bladed weapon draws blood (deals any damage) in battle, but otherwise lasts 1 hour/caster level, and is a transformation that foils metal detecting magic, allows the bearer of the transformed weapon to handle it without getting cut, makes the weapon temporarily non-magnetic and heat-conductive as wood is, rather than metal, and confers the texture and weight of wood, rather than metal; if weapon struck against metal or stone, sounds like wood thudding, not metal clanging; "shape" choices are a shaped wooden rod, scepter, table-leg, walking-stick for short person, etc. that is of simple wood, NOT adorned with paint, gems, etc. but appear as fantastically-carved or a replica of a known item - - and a rough, ends-hewn but bark-on piece of tree branch (so can be hidden in a bundle of firewood). Magic weapons can't be affected by a swordwood spell, and using successive swordwood spells on the same item in a short space of time (i.e. applying a second spell soon after the first has expired) forces an item saving throw (that most swords will fail, collapsing into shards).

Whirlblade: cast on a weapon the caster handles, this magic lies quiescent (not affecting the caster's use of magic; to the caster, it's cast and "gone") until dispelled by other activity (e.g. a dispel magic that affects the weapon), or activated by the weapon-bearer speaking a word (which can be any nonsense syllables, and must be uttered by the caster during casting) at some later time. When thus discharged, the spell makes the weapon +4 to hit for a single round, and allows it to make an extra attack during the round (and the magic then ends). The spell doesn't affect the damage the blade makes, and anyone touching the weapon who says the word launches the spell (so it's wasted if they do so when not in combat). The weapon need not be a bladed metal weapon, but must be a melee (not ranged) weapon. Multiple whirlblades can be cast on the same weapon, but their effects don't "stack" (one word launches one whirlblade, leaving the other magics unaffected), and the third and every additional whirlblade spell forces a "stiff" (i.e. usually destroys item) item saving throw on the weapon.

Word of Valor: when cast, the caster or any one touched recipient creature is empowered to function (fighting and moving as if unharmed and unhampered) for 1 additional round when injury or loss of limbs would ordinarily disable them; this occurs automatically at any time within 1 hour of casting the word of valor (its swift incantation is a single spoken word). It doesn't mitigate damage in any way, but merely delays death, unconsciousness, or collapse for a round (enabling, for example, a mortally-wounded fighter to battle on, a rope-climbing character to reach a ledge or battlement, or a dying character to speak a last few words or hurl an item).
(I deliberately didn't ask to pin Ed down with absolutes, so these are only *among* the most common hitherto unpublished spells. I'm sure quite a few non-adventuring magics are more widespread.)
Go to Top of Page

thom
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2007 :  21:50:47  Show Profile Send thom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Faraer! I'd all but given up hope on getting any response to this!
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2007 :  04:54:42  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I plan to get at least one of them written up, and eventually all. Since whirlblade and word of valor are the requested culprits, I'll see what I can do to make that "eventually" a bit faster.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000