Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Question about scribing spells!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2007 :  22:18:59  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi I am about halfway through reading The Shadow Stone by Richard Baker POSS SPOILERS

And just to let you know I have never played a mage only DM'd a couple, all my adventures and chars have been fighers or rangers or thieves!!

In the story, the main character progresses down the path of a mage (leaving out as much of the story as poss). and he is being taught by a Elven Mage, the point comes for Aeron (the main char) to start on learning spellcraft.

Now Aeron's tutor uses small stones with glyphs on to store his spells but suggests to Aeron to use an arrow type section of wood to scribe his spell symbols on to.

Later when Aeron attends a magic university he use a typical human way of writing spells down in a book, yet still uses his wooden "spell sticks".

Later when affected by the shadow stone and Shadow Magic he has to re formulate the way he envokes and scribes his spells again!

Now questions :

1: Is elven magic SO different to Human magic when scribing?

2: what other types of scribing are there apart from full written, symbols, and song?

3: How do the different types of scribing effect said spells?

4: Surley Shadow Magic, again different, can be scribed in the same way ie on sticks of wood?

I am sorry if I'm being dense but Magic is not something I hve had much game play with. Now a sword or an axe with weapon styles and feats I'm ok but Magic is a mystery to me...

Don't start on Dragon Magic I'll ask about that MUCH later.........

Delz

I'm Back!

Edited by - Delzounblood on 02 Mar 2007 22:31:31

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2007 :  22:24:57  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm no expert on the mechanics of spell scribing, but I've always taken the position that sometimes authors will have their own points of view about parts of the game and/or will add stuff of their own for the sake of the story.

In short, what you are describing could be an example of artistic liberties being taken. I would not assume that all elven magic is scribed the way Aeron learns it. However, I don't know that for certain.

I'm about to read this novel, myself, so soon enough I'll have my own opinions on it.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 02 Mar 2007 22:25:24
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2007 :  22:41:24  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I'm no expert on the mechanics of spell scribing, but I've always taken the position that sometimes authors will have their own points of view about parts of the game and/or will add stuff of their own for the sake of the story.

In short, what you are describing could be an example of artistic liberties being taken. I would not assume that all elven magic is scribed the way Aeron learns it. However, I don't know that for certain.

I'm about to read this novel, myself, so soon enough I'll have my own opinions on it.

I thought poetic license came into it somewhere But saying that what is written in novels is canon so..........

On your other note The book is really good. it makes me look at spellslingers in a new light, they are not just babbling old fools standing there waiting to be clobbered, they can hit back too!

Delz

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2007 :  01:23:26  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There stands lore that spell can be scribed in beads, rope, etc. in D&D . The fact that humans use paper and ink being the expected does not appear to be required.

It is not a matter of Elven magic being different, goblin and orc magic is also different. Barbarian humans, that can not write ubder current ruleset, also scribe spells in another manner.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2007 :  04:22:57  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ruha, the Bedine "witch" from Troy Denning's books started out hiding inscribed bits of cloth inside her clothes to hide her spells. As far as elves go, some elves used kiira stones as spellbooks as well.

I imagine that while the "physics" of magic for wizards at least work the same, the way the formula is written down can vary greatly (which is in part why in 3.5 you have to roll to see if you can understand the writings in another wizard's spellbook).

From a roleplaying point of view, as long as the "alternate" spellbook stores a similar number of spells and costs the same amount as a normal spellbook, I'd let someone go wild with how they want to store their spells, so long as they have something with some kind of writing on it for them to study from.
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2007 :  23:42:53  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok Thanks guy's,

I will start to read up more on magic, staring with the PHB and DMG!

God I feel like a novice in this area!

Any other books I should read for a Good Intro in to Magic?

Remember I hve never really played or DM'd a mage before!!!!

Delz

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2007 :  10:07:17  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I agree. There is probably no "universal" way to learn magic, or scribe it. I have always (both as player and DM) assumed that wizards use invented rituals and methods that have "always existed" (from mentor to apprentice) to learn and use magic (hence the spellbooks, memorizing and scribing spells, gestures, etc.). Sorcerers, on the other hand, shape these forces instictively and learn their own individual ways/rituals to cast certain spells (yet the need for verbal, somatic and material components still applies).

I remember that House Xorlarrin (sp?) wizards in Menzoberranzan tattooed their spellbooks and spells on their own skin with invisible ink, and used 'See invisibility' to memorize spells!

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2007 :  14:16:09  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually I remember a 2e Bard Kit for halflings called The Whistler, as I recall the Whistler cast his bardic spells by whistling tunes! so he would have poss used a musical score for storing / scribing his spells!

Hhmmm I have some ideas for a npc in my game leading to an adventure for Lecter....

Thanks again guy's

also must research sorcerers and there natural talents.

Delz

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2007 :  17:08:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delzounblood

Actually I remember a 2e Bard Kit for halflings called The Whistler, as I recall the Whistler cast his bardic spells by whistling tunes! so he would have poss used a musical score for storing / scribing his spells!

Hhmmm I have some ideas for a npc in my game leading to an adventure for Lecter....

Thanks again guy's

also must research sorcerers and there natural talents.

Delz

The halfling whistler kit has been updated to a PrC: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20061121a

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000