Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  16:36:47  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all. This time responds to MaxKaladin’s query: “I was wondering if Ed could tell us what sort of things one might find in an adventuring company charter. Also, has Ed ever actually written up a charter?”
Ed replies:

I’ve written eight charters that I can recall, but all now belong to TSR (Wizards of the Coast), and I can’t reproduce them here without permission.
So let me just run through the basics: usually written on the best vellum or parchment, signed by the issuer (usually a ruler, but sometimes a Lord Marshal, Grand Vizier, or other lofty officer of the Court specifically empowered to grant charters - - and because not every reader may know this, the charter will always specifically say so, e.g. this century-old Chessentan example: “Expressly empowered by His Majesty Harhoun the Exalted to grant a charter of the right to bear arms within the territories and protectorates of”) AND also bearing a royal or Court seal or Herald-witnessed (in writing, on the charter) rune, and will always contain a roster of members of the company [so if your name isn’t on it, you aren’t covered by it; though note that many charters contain an “alljack” name (a modern American might say a “John Doe pseudonym”) that any new or trial member assumes so that they’re covered; typical Faerûnian ones include “Jack-of-Blades” and “Harl Amendall”].
Each charter usually begins with something along the lines of: “Know ye all, by this good and true document, that the bearers are entitled by the Crown of [[place]] to bear arms within the lands under our writ and hand.”
From this beginning, the charter may well exhaustively list all such lands, and will always specify the name of the company and “spell out” the rights, privileges, and obligations it confers upon the adventurers.
Then will follow the roster of the company, each name customarily bearing beside it a signature, personal rune, or mark (even if it’s just an “X”) signifying that the named being has agreed to the charter, and the “authority” (the signing, seal or rune, witnessing, and explanation). This should present a polite but firm threat that messing with these adventurers means messing with the authority of the ruler and accepted civilized behavior (“as witnessed by Heralds of note and standing”) everywhere, so “consider and conduct thyself accordingly.”
Some rulers, especially in the Shining South, have engraved such charters on metal plaques, shields, or even swords, but the practice somehow never “catches on” to achieve widespread acceptance.

So saith Ed. Who wrote us up a beautiful charter that is so personal that I think I’ll keep it to myself. It brings a warm smile to my face whenever I read it.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  20:46:07  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

Thanks for the pointer to Zeboaster.

Actually, there are some tidbits about him in 'Forgotten Realms Adventures' but not very much. I also recall that there is at least another accessory that has additional details, but I cannot remember which (perhaps one of the Volo's guides?).

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  23:11:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Ed also briefly discussed Zeboaster's fate in his '05 replies -- specifically March 21st.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2007 :  18:41:32  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all. This time I bring you an Ed of the Greenwood answer to Kajehase’s query:

Not counting castaways, deliberately-marooned prisoners, and visiting pirates who spend most of their time elsewhere, Altumbel (including the Thousand Swords) is almost entirely populated by humans, and most of them (as given in RACES OF FAERUN) are Damarans, though the pirate and other naval visits have resulted in tiny numbers of almost every sort of human. No one has ever done an accurate count of those who dwell in Altumbel, so I stand with the best estimates known at the court in Velprintalar: that only about 2 in 10 Aglarondans live in the peninsula (and archipelago), and that the population there has been declining for a long time (it was 2.5 in 10 as little as a century ago). Although military depredations tend to fall more heavily on other parts of Aglarond, the weather is harshest (coldest in winter, dampest always, and with the least shelter, firewood, and edible vegetation and protection from wind, ice, and beating sun), and pirates, lawlessness, and malcontents (including blood-feuding longtime local families) wreak more havoc in Altumbel than elsewhere in Aglarond.
Very few Aglarondans, relative speaking, live in the depths of the Yuirwood (as opposed to around the fringes), but I’m going to avoid going into specifics because of what MIGHT be in certain future Wizards of the Coast products. The half-elf to human ratio in Aglarond is 7 half-elves to one human in the Yuirwood fringes, and 3 half-elves out of every 10 Aglarondans in the immediate border between the unbroken forest and farmlands to the north (as far west as Urst). That drops to 2 or 1 in 10 as one goes north to the coast, except in the immediate vicinity of towns and cities with a higher ratio (they’re detailed in UNAPPROACHABLE EAST).
If all of this makes Altumbel sound inhospitable but prime adventuring territory: yep.

So saith Ed. Creator of Altumbel, Aglarond, the Yuirwood, and all those little bitty islands, too.
love to all,
THO

And he did a good job of it, too.

My profound thanks to Ed and THO, I am yet a little bit more enlightened.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2007 :  20:49:10  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

Hi, all. This time responds to MaxKaladin’s query: “I was wondering if Ed could tell us what sort of things one might find in an adventuring company charter. Also, has Ed ever actually written up a charter?”
Ed replies:

I’ve written eight charters that I can recall, but all now belong to TSR (Wizards of the Coast), and I can’t reproduce them here without permission.

(snip)

Dungeon Magazine #88 has an article about a broken Netherese portal system which includes a full page on Cormyte rules for chartered adventuring groups and "bands," including the fees, taxes, and the late fees on taxes. (Did you know that a "band" of 7 or more adventurers is officially declared "outlaw" if its taxes go unpaid for a tenday?) This information is already published, so none of it is NDA (obviously!)

I am almost completely certain that it is in issue 88. I looked for it on the "Dungeon Magazine Index (beta)" at http://www.intwischa.com/dungeon/ and couldn't find that article, but "Thirds of Purloined Vellum," which I am fairly certain was in the same issue is shown as being in issue 88.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

ddporter
Acolyte

26 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2007 :  22:47:14  Show Profile Send ddporter a Private Message
quote:
Dungeon Magazine #88 has an article about a broken Netherese portal system which includes a full page on Cormyte rules for chartered adventuring groups and "bands," including the fees, taxes, and the late fees on taxes. (Did you know that a "band" of 7 or more adventurers is officially declared "outlaw" if its taxes go unpaid for a tenday?) This information is already published, so none of it is NDA (obviously!)

I am almost completely certain that it is in issue 88. I looked for it on the "Dungeon Magazine Index (beta)" at http://www.intwischa.com/dungeon/ and couldn't find that article, but "Thirds of Purloined Vellum," which I am fairly certain was in the same issue is shown as being in issue 88.

Ack. The aforementioned article is on page 20 of Dungeon 88. Sorry about the extra post.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2007 :  03:13:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. This time Ed answers createvmind re. this: “Quick question, are there Dire Horses in Faerun, a PC of mine has out of the clear blue floated this Dire horse idea around with the others now they are asking if they wished to go Dire-horse hunting where would they find such a creature.
I said simply cause a template exists doesn't mean it applies in Faerun but I want to be sure of this, even though if they were to find such a creature I don't see anyone capable of riding or training it.”
Ed replies:

Yes, there are Dire Horses in Faerûn, and among some of the peoples of the Shaar and the Murghom/Semphar region, there have been cults and folk tales and even fireside ghost stories regarding such powerful equines. I’d of course not expect to find a Dire Horse anywhere in the Realms near settled areas, and they’d need large grasslands in which the herds of lesser wild horses they’d head could outrun predators and find plentiful forage. Where I located my examples suggest two obvious regions to seek Dire Horses, but as far as your PCs go, I’d leave guessing at, asking around, and otherwise trying to find out where to look for Dire Horses up to them; that’ll be half the adventure fun, right?
And yes, taming, training, and even successfully riding such a beast shouldn’t be simply-accomplished matters. I’d leave it up to the players to decide if just seeing a Dire Horse in full gallop is enough - - and if it isn’t, just how much of a personal price they’re willing to pay to accomplish any domination of a Dire Horse they contemplate. If they try to use brute-force magical mind-control, I’d make them rue it if they aren’t VERY careful (foresight, multiple spells ready, etc.). And who’s to say that there aren’t horse cultists, or just a few lone horse-worshipping individuals who’ll become a murderous foe of anyone who treats “their” horse in such a way? They need not be crazies, but could be formidable rangers, druids, or wealthy rulers who happen to be horse fanciers - - or Conan-like barbarians who regard the Dire Horse as their totem or spirit ancestor or even “theirs alone” to tame or ride?

So saith Ed, embracing those infinite possibilities.
I love to see him unfolding another closet of bright, shiny ideas, every time he answers one of these. New worlds for old?
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2007 :  06:55:59  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
This last reply from Ed/THO comes at a funny time, as I was just thinking about dire animals. More specifically, Dire Wolves, and the game mechanics that allow regular wolves to be advanced to Large Size. What are Ed's views on Dire animals in Faerun? are they just a 'prehistoric/less-evolved' bloodline, as the MM seems to suggest, or is there a fancy story behind it all that (let's hope) would tie them to the Sundering or the coming of moon/gold elves in Faerun, or tie the appearance of the 'regular' animals to some of the other non-native Faerunian races? (dwarves, orcs, halflings, moon/gold elves, etc.)
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2007 :  10:47:21  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message
quote:

Hello again, all. This time Ed answers createvmind re. this: “Quick question, are there Dire Horses in Faerun, a PC of mine has out of the clear blue floated this Dire horse idea around with the others now they are asking if they wished to go Dire-horse hunting where would they find such a creature.
I said simply cause a template exists doesn't mean it applies in Faerun but I want to be sure of this, even though if they were to find such a creature I don't see anyone capable of riding or training it.”
Ed replies:

Yes, there are Dire Horses in Faerûn, and among some of the peoples of the Shaar and the Murghom/Semphar region, there have been cults and folk tales and even fireside ghost stories regarding such powerful equines. I’d of course not expect to find a Dire Horse anywhere in the Realms near settled areas, and they’d need large grasslands in which the herds of lesser wild horses they’d head could outrun predators and find plentiful forage. Where I located my examples suggest two obvious regions to seek Dire Horses, but as far as your PCs go, I’d leave guessing at, asking around, and otherwise trying to find out where to look for Dire Horses up to them; that’ll be half the adventure fun, right?
And yes, taming, training, and even successfully riding such a beast shouldn’t be simply-accomplished matters. I’d leave it up to the players to decide if just seeing a Dire Horse in full gallop is enough - - and if it isn’t, just how much of a personal price they’re willing to pay to accomplish any domination of a Dire Horse they contemplate. If they try to use brute-force magical mind-control, I’d make them rue it if they aren’t VERY careful (foresight, multiple spells ready, etc.). And who’s to say that there aren’t horse cultists, or just a few lone horse-worshipping individuals who’ll become a murderous foe of anyone who treats “their” horse in such a way? They need not be crazies, but could be formidable rangers, druids, or wealthy rulers who happen to be horse fanciers - - or Conan-like barbarians who regard the Dire Horse as their totem or spirit ancestor or even “theirs alone” to tame or ride?

So saith Ed, embracing those infinite possibilities.
I love to see him unfolding another closet of bright, shiny ideas, every time he answers one of these. New worlds for old?
love to all,
THO

Now this gives a new steed for a Blackguard instead of a Nightmare!

Nice one

Delz

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

MaxKaladin
Seeker

77 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2007 :  17:51:21  Show Profile  Visit MaxKaladin's Homepage Send MaxKaladin a Private Message
quote:

Ed replies:

I thank Ed profusely.

I note that the answer implies that many governments issue charters. I'd previously been under the impression that this was not a typical practice, but one confined to fairly powerful and centralized states like Cormyr.
Go to Top of Page

MaxKaladin
Seeker

77 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2007 :  18:03:18  Show Profile  Visit MaxKaladin's Homepage Send MaxKaladin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Unfortunately, I don't collect dungeon. I know one person who might have it but otherwise it would be the secondary market for me. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2007 :  21:12:09  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
Quick question:

Does Orichalcum (The mythical Gold-copper of lost Atlantis) exist in the realms? What properties does it have? Especially when made into weapons, armour and items?

Thanks,

Foxhelm

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!

Edited by - Foxhelm on 21 Mar 2007 21:12:31
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2007 :  01:46:39  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

quote:

Ed replies:

(snip)

Ed, reading that article thoroughly prompts a significant question (for my campaign, anyway): the article gives the laws and rules for mid-1372, but in 1360, when Azoun called his Crusade, did wizards who were enrolled in mercenary companies or who were passing through on their way to join the Sembian or Hillsfar forces have to register themselves? If so, who would have been the registrar, Vangey being somewhat busy at the time?

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2007 :  01:56:52  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

Quick question:

Does Orichalcum (The mythical Gold-copper of lost Atlantis) exist in the realms? What properties does it have? Especially when made into weapons, armour and items?

Thanks,

Foxhelm

I think Volo mentioned it in the (banned) Volo's Guide to All Things Magical. I'll look it up in my special "Illuskan edition" copy and let you know what he said (if anything).

Correction: I was quite wrong. I was confused by "orichalka" which is used in the Nephilim game from Chaosium, whose books I keep next to forbidden books of Volo-lore. In the ancient world (here on Earth, that is), orichalcum was a golden-orange, brassy alloy used in coins, principally by the Romans, who used it for coins worth more than copper, but less than silver. Volo referenced a similar-colored mineral, but it had nothing to do with orichalcum.

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 23 Mar 2007 01:09:31
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2007 :  03:08:48  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message

Hi,

Another request for Ed : I would like to hear anything he could say about Trielta hills.

P.S. I already know the references in Demihumans deities, Volo's guide to sword coast & Realms bestiary vol 1.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2007 :  14:31:29  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, fellow scribes. This time I present Ed’s reply to Anonymous Realmsguy: “A Cormyr question, if you will, O Creator:
If I am a middle-class shopkeeper in Suzail, who's never left the city in my life and has little contact with adventurers or caravan merchants, how much do I really "know" about the western end of the realm (west of High Horn) or the far northeastern (Hullack Forest)?
Thanks!”
Ed replies:

You have certainly seen detailed maps and probably accurate paintings of the Hullack Forest and the road west of High Horn (and curving south from there), with its backdrop of wilderlands and mountains. (For one thing, at least one popular dining club on the south side of the Promenade, the upper-floor DARMETH’S PLATTERS, has a large painted map of the realm on its ceiling.)
Neighbours and business associates (from merchants you actually transact business with, to fellow shopkeepers whose shops are near to yours) may well include persons who’ve been to both “backlands” of the realm, or even spent extensive time there as serving Purple Dragons (not every Dragon is a career soldier; many are short-service “swords” who serve for three years or less, or serve as “wild patrols” in such frontier areas (unofficial but approved-of militias who can best be described as local guides and scouts).
So you have an accurate mental picture of the terrain, weather, how settled such areas are and the sort of people (by disposition and occupation) dwell in or frequent them, what monsters maraud in them and generally how “dangerous” they are, and if there are persistent outlaw / brigand / spies of other lands problems. If you have an eloquent acquaintance familiar with either backland area (or the Stonelands, for that matter), they may well communicate the “feel” of the areas well enough that you can picture them vividly (and probably fairly accurately).
“News” of events occurring in the backlands can easily take three months to reach someone in Suzail who isn’t a Court or Purple Dragon officer, or in frequent contact with caravan merchants or travelling peddlers.
And of course, during the retellings before it reaches your ears, outright fabrication and “natural gossip distortions and exaggerations” can twist or embellish such news greatly. Nobles and other individuals with financial and political interests at stake will try to “spin” all news to further their own standing and aims. (Though this is more of a problem in Arabel and particularly Marsember than in Suzail.)
In short, folk in Suzail may cling to a few prejudices about the backlands, but they don’t and won’t swallow wild tales or believe myths about them. You could hold your own in an intelligent discussion of tactics or possible future Cormyrean settlements / development in such areas when speaking with, say, a Purple Dragon officer recently arrived in Suzail from one of those areas.

So saith Ed. Who has this knack of making all of his fantasy worlds seem real; he can truly “put his head inside” what it would like to live in (specific places in) them, and convey that to the rest of us.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2007 :  14:56:10  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message
Ed & THO

Hi I've just read THO's latest post in which quoting Ed says

quote:

“News” of events occurring in the backlands can easily take three months to reach someone in Suzail who isn’t a Court or Purple Dragon officer, or in frequent contact with caravan merchants or travelling peddlers.
And of course, during the retellings before it reaches your ears, outright fabrication and “natural gossip distortions and exaggerations” can twist or embellish such news greatly. Nobles and other individuals with financial and political interests at stake will try to “spin” all news to further their own standing and aims. (Though this is more of a problem in Arabel and particularly Marsember than in Suzail.)

I have always assumed (wrong though I may be) that Large cities the likes of Waterdeep, Suzail etc would have a local news anouncement. like a short run paper of local news and items of interest rarther than relying on word of mouth by merchants!

I can just imagine The Waterdeep Times or The Cormyrian Chronical or even The Silver Marches Mail

Does anywhere have a daily / weekly paper to pass on news?

Delz

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2007 :  15:46:24  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
quote:
I can just imagine The Waterdeep Times or The Cormyrian Chronical or even The Silver Marches Mail

Delz

Delzounblood,

While I cannot remember the sources, I do remember reading that such a news-paper exists in Waterdeep. Seems to me that it might have been in Volo's Guide to Waterdeep where this is mentioned.

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 22 Mar 2007 15:48:02
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2007 :  15:55:38  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Ed & THO,

Hopefully I'm not asking a question you've been plagued with before. My question concerns accents. What areas of the Realms produce strong accents that make ones homeland evident? Can you provide any details on the accents?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

turox
Learned Scribe

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2007 :  16:27:20  Show Profile  Visit turox's Homepage Send turox a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn

quote:

Delz

Delzounblood,

While I cannot remember the sources, I do remember reading that such a news-paper exists in Waterdeep. Seems to me that it might have been in Volo's Guide to Waterdeep where this is mentioned.

I’m not Ed but he has covered this kind of information partially. At the Wizards site there are a couple of articles he wrote that are now located here: Realmslore Archive

They are both 4 part articles titled Broadcryers of Waterdeep and Small Presses of Waterdeep I have linked Part one of both articles for you so they are easier to find.

I also think he has talked about this issue before so looking through his answers might pull up some other information I am just not certain of dates or times that he has covered this.

Hope I was able to help.

Turox Antas Dragonslayer -
"People will believe anything they want to believe, or fear to believe."
Wizard's First Rule: Chapter 36, Page #397, US Hard Cover (revealed by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander).
Explanation by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander: "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2007 :  19:47:47  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
I realize that I have asked a great deal of questions about Myth Drannor and all, but I would like to ask another question about Cormyr if I may, ma'am. In and around Cormyr, do they speak with 'thees' and 'thous', or is it more like every day speach here? Also, how articulate are they? How does the speech of Cormyr differ from, say, Waterdeep and the rest of the Realms? Thank you kindly, ma'am; and also thank you, Mr. Greenwood. I appreciate your time.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2007 :  23:15:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by turox

quote:

quote:

Delz

Delzounblood,

I also think he has talked about this issue before so looking through his answers might pull up some other information I am just not certain of dates or times that he has covered this.
Indeed.

Ed has discussed the subject of news and news-related materials in the Realms before. He's even discussed the specific chapbooks of certain cities/regions with me in late '06.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 22 Mar 2007 23:28:03
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2007 :  00:06:11  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Ed also briefly discussed Zeboaster's fate in his '05 replies -- specifically March 21st.

You never fail to astonish, Sage!

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2007 :  00:59:08  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:

Ed & THO,

Hopefully I'm not asking a question you've been plagued with before. My question concerns accents. What areas of the Realms produce strong accents that make ones homeland evident? Can you provide any details on the accents?

Thanks

I just want to put out that accents are ultimately how one's pronounciation is measured up to another's, so how strong one's accent is depends on who is listening. I don't think of myself or the people who live in my area as having an "American accent"--or, for that matter, a Northeastern U.S. accent--but to people outside these areas I would undoubtly have one.

It's probably safe to say that any language will "produce" a notable accent as long as there is more than one way to pronounce words in the Realms.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 23 Mar 2007 01:09:36
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2007 :  01:20:32  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Well met!

Ed, having referenced Chaosium's Nephilim game above, in my corrected post about orichalcum, I am inclined to ask two questions inspired by that game: (1) are there any religions or regions of Toril which have a mythos in which devils and/or demons are considered fallen angels, or are they considered to be unique indivuals whose falls were personal, and not part of a collective Heavenly house-cleaning (I'm thinking M--k---d here)? (2) are there any religions in Faerun which believe in reincarnation, with a soul somehow "improving" itself over time, and if so, what do they postulate as the origin of those souls? In the Nephilim game, fallen celestials repeatedly reincarnate as humans and gain skills and enlightenment (hopefully!) with each incarnation. Given the ease of "coming back from the dead" on Toril, one would expect that if a belief in reincarnation exists, it indeed happens to some souls, otherwise the sheer number of people who "come back" and can deny it would form an overwhelming chorus.

Please enlighten us, O Master of the Green Wood!

Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2007 :  01:25:48  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

Ed & THO,

Thanks

I just want to put out that accents are ultimately how one's pronounciation is measured up to another's, so how strong one's accent is depends on who is listening. I don't think of myself or the people who live in my area as having an "American accent"--or, for that matter, a Northeastern U.S. accent--but to people outside these areas I would undoubtly have one.

It's probably safe to say that any language will "produce" a notable accent as long as there is more than one way to pronounce words in the Realms.

I understand the differences in accents are based on perception. None the less this accent or that accent might be strong in the Realms and mark you as being from place A or place B, so let me clarify by saying I am not asking what each accent sounds like or akin to, just which are considered pronounced and defined.

Thanks

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 23 Mar 2007 01:27:32
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2007 :  01:43:24  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:

I understand the differences in accents are based on perception. None the less this accent or that accent might be strong in the Realms and mark you as being from place A or place B, so let me clarify by saying I am not asking what each accent sounds like or akin to, just which are considered pronounced and defined.

Thanks

I guess I'm just not sure what you mean by a given accent being "strong in the Realms". But I don't want to dominate this thread, or come off as a "snooty corrector". I look forward to Ed's answer.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 23 Mar 2007 01:45:29
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2007 :  01:49:10  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

(snip)

Ed replies:

(snip)

(snip)

How apt! Apropos of the Howard discussion, I was planning to ask you about two spells in the Conan RPG which derive directly from Howard's Hour of the Dragon novel, in which more than one spellcaster mentions that "news" of the Heart of Ahriman reached them through the wind, through nightbirds, etc. The Conan RPG spell, "Sorerous News" requires the spellcaster to spend an hour meditating on such signs and portents in order to be informed of important magic items, powerful sorerers, and news of realm-shaking importance (plagues, assassinations, and civil wars, for example). "Greater Sorcerous News" (definitely a post 3rd edition spell by its very name!) allows the sorcerer (the generic term for a spellcaster) to not only receive, but also transmit to this global sussuration of omens, adding information which may or may not be true. The Hyborian world is thus a global wiki as far as high-level diviners are concerned! Is there any sort of spell or ability on Toril which provides that sort of global information gathering to those mages who aren't wired directly to a greater deity (as El and other Chosen are)?

Inquiring busy-bodies want to know!

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2007 :  02:46:32  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, scribes.
Delzounblood, Suzail has both a daily and a once-a-week "high society" paper ("scandal sheet" to commoners). Ed meant that most cities in the Realms don't have foreign bureaus or reporters far afield: those same caravan merchants and travelling peddlers are the sources the local newspapers get their "news from afar" from - - and the remote frontier fringes of Cormyr ARE "afar" to Suzail!

This time, Ed makes a start on replying to althen artren, with warnings that he may not be able to get to the rest of althen artren’s questions for some time:

althen artren: “Ed, thank you so much for giving us so many wonderful toys for us and for inspiring so many great writers to give us more (Steven Schend being one of my favorites) on DD in general and the Realms specifically.
I would like to give a hand drawn city map and dungeon I am proud of back to you for all the cool stuff you have given us as a token of gratitude, but have no idea how to send it. Do you have a PO box in Canada for something for fans to send stuff to you? Or do you have somebody you trust to receive your fanmail?”
Ed: You’re very welcome. I would love to have that map and dungeon, but let me put my head together with THO and see if I can come up with a mail-drop solution. I’m being frowned upon heavily by my local Post Offal right now because the World Fantasy judging involves all sorts of publishers and authors flinging books at me from all over the world, THROUGH said post office. I live in a rural area, and don’t want to be more of a problem than I am already.

althen artren: If NDA'd, are there any projects in the works to identify her in the future?
Ed: I hope so. There is a project in the works that will come close. IF it has a sequel (which might not happen), this answer will change to “Yes.” (“Oh, I’m just doing the NDA dance, the Bob and Weave shuffle, the little misdirection prance . . .”)

althen artren: “When was the last time you had less than 2 projects at the same time you were working on. If I were you for the previous posts, I'd be dead from exhaustion.
Thanks for time you put in here with your fans. I know you care, but it still refreshing to see it on a daily basis.”
Ed: Hey, again, you’re welcome. I enjoy doing it, as I hope scribes can tell. The last time I had less than 2 projects at once was 1985. If you count DRAGON articles as “projects,” please alter that answer to early 1979. So I’m used to it. Being crazy, that is. And to think that I used to worry, as a young boy who loved to read books, and not much else, that I worried I’d be too lazy to ever hold down a job. :}
I’m not trying to duck your lore questions, I’m trying not to step on some toes re. future Wizards products. I’ll have to check with [NDA] about [NDA] and [NDA] before I [NDA] and get back to you.

So saith Ed.
Who, believe me, is NOT trying to toy with you, althen artren, or with any other scribes reading this, for that matter. He’s trying to be of some help while obeying his NDAs, which he considers crucial to the continued prosperity and therefore survival of Wizards of the Coast. They may bug us all at times, but they’re necessary.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2007 :  10:12:40  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message
quote:

Hello again, scribes.
Delzounblood, Suzail has both a daily and a once-a-week "high society" paper ("scandal sheet" to commoners). Ed meant that most cities in the Realms don't have foreign bureaus or reporters far afield: those same caravan merchants and travelling peddlers are the sources the local newspapers get their "news from afar" from - - and the remote frontier fringes of Cormyr ARE "afar" to Suzail!

love to all,
THO

THO

Thanks for the quick responce, I did not know about these papers, Cool. I also know that traveling Bards pass on news from around the realm they are passing through, But having roving reporters did seem a little far fetched I admit.

All these little bit and pieces add up to great roleplay even if it's just added colour.

It has given me ideas for an adventure to work into my campaign, (political scandal / slurr campaign etc:) Hmmm know all I need to do is work out how my iliterate battlerager is going to see/hear the news

Thanks again
Delz

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000