Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 At what age did you start playing D&D ?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Besshalar
Learned Scribe

Finland
166 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  14:11:33  Show Profile  Visit Besshalar's Homepage Send Besshalar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
It just struck me that I must have been 11 or twelve when I first started playing roleplaying games. This got me thinking about everyone else, how old were you when you started playing ?

And for all those older than the skies you don't have to say the year (for me it must have been 92-93)you started playing.

The large print giveth , and the small print taketh away.
-Tom Waits

Edited by - Besshalar on 15 Nov 2006 22:00:52

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  14:45:51  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Holy Maca-Roney it was back then in 1 edition. lol when i was a little lad, with my first babarian Davalin, how old was i let me see... it was back in 89.. can this be true (Gosh)
16 years old... and then i have bin playing D&D and AD&D in 18 years. Holy Maca-Roney i am a man now not a boy..... what have i done....

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 15 Nov 2006 14:46:37
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  14:54:56  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Started playing in 1985, with a German RPG The Dark Eye, (O)D&D came later. AD&D later still, about '88. In between there came almost every RPG in print at that time. Got stuck with GMing most of the time.

21 years...damn

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  15:56:28  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well ... not that old ... first started around autumn 2001 ... that would make me ... 15 ...

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  17:14:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I started getting interested in it before then, but my first time actually gaming was in '91 or '92. Unfortunately, I've not managed to play very much, and not at all since before 3E was unleashed.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  17:20:28  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

As I recall - I was 10 when I first started playing.

That would be..... about 27 years ago... in '79.

Ouch.

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  17:28:58  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
God I feel old...I'm 32

I started in 1985.... OH MY GOD

An old gray beard sits in the dark and waits............

"Going blind.......eyesite failing whoa who's that I can't see you clearly, your all dark."

A figure approaches, It's staff butt stricking the floor like the tolling of Deaths Alarm Clock. It Speaks....

"DELZOUNBLOOD IT IS TIME" The voice resonates like tomb doors slamming.

"Whaa speak up man, Damn kids don't talk clearly always mumbling." I croak.

"YOUR GOD OR WHAT EVER YOU BELIVE IN AWAITS YOU."

The figure moves with a grace that is almost angelic. Down whistles it's blade.

Thus end my life............

All is dark.....

Baby cries of screen " WAAAAAAAAA ".

"Huh what, god, what a dream, Yeah I'm coming Tyler shush"
I'm a Dad now!!

Delz

I'm Back!

Edited by - Delzounblood on 15 Nov 2006 17:30:46
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  17:30:50  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Hello-

As I recall - I was 10 when I first started playing.

That would be..... about 27 years ago... in '79.

Ouch.

Dhomal

Which almost exactly mirrors my own experience. I think it was the summer of 1978, maybe 79, with the old red Basic D&D books, and I was the same age (37 now).

But I also took about 10 years away from gaming, almost the entire 90's decade, so you can subtract almost all of the 2E era for me, as well as all the supplements that came out then.

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

turox
Learned Scribe

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  18:00:47  Show Profile  Visit turox's Homepage Send turox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I started playing in 1986ish. That would make it about 20 years or so. Started with D&D then in 93 or 94 went to GURPS and didn't come back to D&D until about 6ish months ago or so. I was 12 or 13 at that time. Now calling someone a young whippersnapper doesn’t seem like such an odd thing to me anymore.

Turox Antas Dragonslayer -
"People will believe anything they want to believe, or fear to believe."
Wizard's First Rule: Chapter 36, Page #397, US Hard Cover (revealed by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander).
Explanation by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander: "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  18:14:28  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started gaming around 90' ( I am really not sure which year it was ), started out with the Swedish Drakar och Demoner ( still my system of choice) and GURPS. Started playing AD&D 2ed. around '93 or 94'. Since then I have mainly used the Realms, but have more or less adapted to using Drakar och Demoner as there are too many elements of D&D I don't like. Still play AD&D for nostalgic reasons when the mood hits me though.
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  20:03:14  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I Started playing when i was about 14 years old and have played it regularly since. I am now 22 and i cant imagine that i will stop playing any time soon.

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  20:39:17  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am not sure of the year, most likely around 1980, with the original D & D Red Box set, Blue set and the expansion that let you go to higher levels... My father burnt all of that... So I started collecting the old 1st edition AD & D stuff.

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  20:53:14  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShadowJack

I am not sure of the year, most likely around 1980, with the original D & D Red Box set, Blue set and the expansion that let you go to higher levels... My father burnt all of that... So I started collecting the old 1st edition AD & D stuff.

Ouch...that sounds kinda...well...wrong.

Sorry to hear that, mate

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  22:35:27  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do remberber it very faintly - back in the Year of Dungeons and flying Dragons, 1990/91. I was 10/11 years old back than. Lot's of things have changed since than - not only D&d going through 2 new editions (even 3 if you count the chages from 3.0 to 3.5)

And lots of wonderful gaming memories................ indeed.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

EvilKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  01:11:59  Show Profile  Visit EvilKnight's Homepage Send EvilKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Early 80's (11-13 years old). Some older kid had miniatures and the ADND 1st ed books. I eventually picked up the DM Guide with the red efreet on the front after finding it in the downtown JC Penny's. Played for awhile without even a MM or PH. 38 as of two days ago and playing still.

EvilKnight

Danali Index
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  01:23:44  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eleven or twelve at the time. I remember hijacking the Basic Set my sister got for Christmas, but I don't think I quite convinced my friends to play for a few months later. I know I was playing in 1985, and in 1986 I had already started moving into AD&D, and by 1988 I was fully into FR (I got the boxed set when it came out, but it took me a while to move my campaign into the Realms).
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  02:05:35  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started playing D&D with the red basic set I received as a x-mas present in 1983.....and it all doesn't seem 23 years ago, but sadly it is.
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  02:19:13  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1991 at my first Boy Scout Summer Camp... 11 years old

The Senior Patrol Leader was the DM

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

Lawfire
Acolyte

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  03:54:40  Show Profile  Visit Lawfire's Homepage Send Lawfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was 11 years old and that was 18 years ago...wow, I feel old.

Faerun Roleplaying
http://www.faerunrp.com/forum/index.php
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  06:14:26  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
age 14, back in 87'. AAAHHH the old red box set introduced it all and I have been hooked ever since
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  09:08:50  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone since thats my first post on the forums!! My age is 23 from Greece, and i have been a frequent reader and visitor for some time.
My first RPG experience was "Das schwarze Auge" (DarkEye in english) i was about 9-10 at the time and we played it with major modifications to simplify it.The hardest part was reading the rules (in german. It took some years to translate it and finnaly run it under the complete rules,after all little kids dont go along with much reading or rules hehe. The game had major impact on my friends, it was the first steps for the wanna-be roleplayers and a friend of mine purshased (well his mom did-we were like 10 then :-) ) the simple version of Dungeons and dragons (if i remember right there were 2 cardboard sets-a haunted mansion and a strange keep, and a small sample town with the name of Netheril(!) on one tower) Well the funny thing is that we didnt like it :-D and continued with our Schwarze Auge campaign, it took some time to give Dungeons and Dragons a second shot(2nd edition)-and that was it! we had found our game.
All the time no matter the game i was the DM, i dont remember the reason i was appointed back then(see? i was fooled :-D), but i continued and since today even if i dont play D&D with my first childhoold-friend party, it me behind the screen, with only major exception a 1.5 yr campaign.
My current Campaign (3rd ed.)is running for almost 2.5 yrs is based mostly in Sword Coast and North especially Waterdeep.
Sorry if a went a bit off topic i found that an opportunity to intoduce myself to the fellow readers and scribes
Greetings and nice to meet you all!!

Soryy Four mi Badd Ainglish!

Edited by - Marquant Volker on 16 Nov 2006 09:12:39
Go to Top of Page

Bluenose
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  10:46:28  Show Profile  Visit Bluenose's Homepage Send Bluenose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would have been probably 14 years old. And as one of those who is "older than the skies" I don't mind confessing that this was late in 1977 or early in 1978. I can remember it because the 1st edition Players Handbook came out after we'd started with the old Chainmail wargames rules and it's Fantasy supplements - Greyhawk and Blackmoor campaigns, and whatever the others were (Temple of the Frog?).

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned, these defended,
And saved the sum of things for pay.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  10:57:40  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it is nice that a hobby such as roleplaying can bridge the age difference, altho there are major differences in playing style.

Full immersion roleplaying is difficult to attain after you have played with people for a time since it can amount to a lot of off-game talk around the table, especially when you are surrounded by friends that only see each other at the game table.

Some of the people I play with, I've been playing with for 10 years or longer

Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  12:08:20  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've just had a thought (no it didn't hurt!)

If someone added up all our collective weeks / years of playing D&D it would be up in the 100,000's if not 1,000,000's....

GOD WE ROCK Candlekeep has to be the most concentrated collective inteligence on D&D / FR!

All of you take time to pat ourselves on the back for keeping D&D and the realms alive and growing..

*CLAPS*

Delz

I'm Back!

Edited by - Delzounblood on 16 Nov 2006 12:08:55
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  13:27:55  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hey... if we could get a rough estimate we could add a subtitle to the site...

CANDLEKEEP: OVER 1 BILLION YEARS OF COMBINED FR EXPERIENCE

All ur base are belong to us!!!11!1!

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  15:32:23  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
combined roleplaying experience ... :) not FR experience

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Bluenose
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  15:53:17  Show Profile  Visit Bluenose's Homepage Send Bluenose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've just made an estimate. I've spent somewhere between 3,000-4,000 hours playing D&D; with a similar amount as DM; and probably as much again in preparation. That's more than a year of my life.

I don't think I regret any of it. But if I had to work out how much money I'd spent, well...

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned, these defended,
And saved the sum of things for pay.
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  16:27:15  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluenose

I've just made an estimate. I've spent somewhere between 3,000-4,000 hours playing D&D; with a similar amount as DM; and probably as much again in preparation. That's more than a year of my life.

I don't think I regret any of it. But if I had to work out how much money I'd spent, well...

Now add up how much money you have spent!!

Hurts don't it!

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  17:11:42  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delzounblood

Now add up how much money you have spent!!

Hurts don't it!

I do not even want to go anywhere near that...or the total of the books I purchased, or comic books...

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  20:23:02  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started playing when I was 15 I think because I remember my mom dropping me off at my friend's house, so I must not have been able to drive yet. That makes it 18 years now for me, of course for the last six years I have played a weekly game set in the Realms, so those are the best years of my gaming experience.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Besshalar
Learned Scribe

Finland
166 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  21:07:24  Show Profile  Visit Besshalar's Homepage Send Besshalar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand
I do not even want to go anywhere near that...or the total of the books I purchased, or comic books...

Yes never start counting expenses on things it's always a bad idea.
It seems people start surprisingly early . I sort of thought I was early but there are people who started at ten years old.

The large print giveth , and the small print taketh away.
-Tom Waits
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000