Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 At what age did you start playing D&D ?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Besshalar Posted - 15 Nov 2006 : 14:11:33
It just struck me that I must have been 11 or twelve when I first started playing roleplaying games. This got me thinking about everyone else, how old were you when you started playing ?

And for all those older than the skies you don't have to say the year (for me it must have been 92-93)you started playing.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wolf of the Dark Posted - 04 Mar 2007 : 07:11:32
I was about 32 when I started playing. 16 years ago. I'd never heard of rpgs or dnd before then.

I dm over half the time now, but I'm now on a break to just play a happy go lucky rogue (I used to call them thieves, but somehow I learned the new speak).

I was looking around for my old game notes-- I still have some written in pencil, and some typed in wordperfect. I got my first computer shortly after learning to play dnd-- Windows 3.1 just came out that year-- and my computer had this cool interface called DOS Shell... so if you know when that was, you can put a fair date to my early history.

I'm the newest member to the group, by the way. Our present DM started with one of the early little books-- maybe 78 or 79 or whenever. He made up his own world, drew a map and we still use it sometimes. Cool map. lots of memories.

good night all.
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 20 Feb 2007 : 15:00:40
It's funny, if you think about it... years and years of gaming, we might have experienced the same adventures, yet none of them are the same for any two of us.

One woman in the group I DM (my Waterdeep campaign), started gaming 6 years ago (with the Dark Eye *yawn!!!*) and she describes her gaming experience, I think it ... well, cute. It's interesting to see that many of the games we know from back in the day have vanished or are far less in the spotlight than they used to be. *sigh*
lokilokust Posted - 20 Feb 2007 : 14:16:02
i first discovered the original monster manual at my brother's friend's house when i was about five or six, and stumbled upon the red box a couple years after that.
i played my first game in the fifth grade, about 20 years ago.
Delzounblood Posted - 20 Feb 2007 : 10:08:02
quote:
Originally posted by Grehnar

18 - but that still means I've been playing longer than I haven't.
Oh dear. Must get some nice comfy slippers and a cardigan.
Hmm - are meershaum pipes still trendy? It seems to work for some in the Realms.

Didn't you know???
Thats why the dice manufacturers make BIG dice, it so all us old and venerable, arthritic gamers can still roll that damn D20

Joking aside I actually told a kid to get OFF my lawn yesterday !! then came inside to play a bit of 1 on 1.

Grumpy Old git to Gamer in 20 seconds it must be a record

It's prolly why I play a dwarven battlerager, means I can be a grumpy, arrogant, bossy, Old Git in game aswell as at home with the stepkids!

Lots of years (mis)spent rolling dice and cracking Orc Skulls!

You gotta luv it.

Delz
MerrikCale Posted - 20 Feb 2007 : 02:08:27
I was about 12, over 24 years ago. Yikes!
Grehnar Posted - 19 Feb 2007 : 23:01:20
18 - but that still means I've been playing longer than I haven't.
Oh dear. Must get some nice comfy slippers and a cardigan.
Hmm - are meershaum pipes still trendy? It seems to work for some in the Realms.
SAEDA007 Posted - 19 Feb 2007 : 04:27:27
I started with D&D in the summer of 1980 (I was 11) out at Boy Scout Camp. I fondly remember my first character being an elven fighter/magicuser with magic missle!!

After that I was hooked. I bought the boxed set (the one with the red dragon and the knight with magic user attacking it, also included B2 The Keep on the Borderlands) and begun what has now been my primary hobby ever since.

I still have lead figures from that era, badly painted of course!!

I also remember wanting to play an elf Ranger because I read the Lord of the Rings (which at that time did not happen until 1985's unearthed arcana) but got that fix from first edition Rolemaster. We played a lenghty (5-7 year) campaign in Middle Earth which ended when I graduated high school in 87'. By the way, THAT rolemaster campaign ended with our characters getting our butts handed to us by the Court of Ardor!!!

There is nothing more fun than playing D&D out in the woods, at night time with a camp fire going.......fond memories!!
WalkerNinja Posted - 01 Feb 2007 : 22:25:37
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Gosh! I started when Dungeons & Dragons was a fantasy supplement for the Chainmail war game rules, not vice versa! I have these vague memories of the "Fighting Man" character class ... and "Elf" as a class ... and weren't there "Hobbits" back in the day? It's been so long ....

My rememberence of Hobbits was that their statistics in the PHB did not match the Monster Manual. If you used the Monster Manual they got "+4 to attack rolls with ranged weapons." We had an extensive debate once over what an "attack roll" was. Sometimes it said attack rolls, and sometimes it said "to hit." We settled on Attack Rolls means to hit and to damage, to hit bonuses gave no bonus to damage.
Jamallo Kreen Posted - 01 Feb 2007 : 22:07:15
quote:
Originally posted by Mkhaiwati

*sigh*

okay.. am I the only one who feels like saying:

"You youngsters! Going on about yer feats and skills! What do you know about gaming? I remember when yer dwarf or elf made a new level, and you had to go get the blue set of expert rules because he was over level three. That was epic level playing! Skills, what skills?"

Grabs cane and waves it menacingly at the young'uns.

"Blue set"? "Expert rules"? They were long, long, looong after my time, Junior! Young whippersnappers....

"Ral Partha"? "RAFM"? "D & D Minis"? Bah! You young'ns ain't lived 'til you've played with Uruk-Hai and goblins and Hobbits hand-cast by Jack Scruby!

Jamallo Kreen Posted - 01 Feb 2007 : 21:56:51
Gosh! I started when Dungeons & Dragons was a fantasy supplement for the Chainmail war game rules, not vice versa! I have these vague memories of the "Fighting Man" character class ... and "Elf" as a class ... and weren't there "Hobbits" back in the day? It's been so long ....

boddynock Posted - 01 Feb 2007 : 14:14:34
Lol Donager, I was born the 8'th of may 1980 and I play for about 10 years now.
Donager Posted - 01 Feb 2007 : 08:51:21
I started in the summer of 1980, when I was 10. I was at Boy Scout camp, and some of the older kids were playing. I pestered, begged, whined and moaned until the DM let me roll a character. I rolled a human warrior, and spent a good 10 minutes getting things together. he started the adventure, and a red dragon swept down and killed me instantly.

I was hooked.
Weiser_Cain Posted - 28 Jan 2007 : 23:53:27
shandiris Posted - 28 Jan 2007 : 19:05:23
lol, i guess i truly am a rookie to dnd :)
I started a year ago at the age of 13. (For the orcs amongst you thats 14):P

KarenG Posted - 28 Jan 2007 : 07:14:35
My first actual D&D game was in 1979 (I still have the miniature I painted for it - a heritage "Amazon archer", though I had a medieval army using chainmail rules in 1973, with the jousting rules, and we played some with the magic addendum. Still gaming, quite a few years later. Currently playing an urban ranger in a city campaign.

As to age, I would have been 27 when I played in 1979 (can't lift cane to wave it menacingly).

Karen G.
Sanishiver Posted - 13 Jan 2007 : 08:17:51
I think I must have been 10 or 11 years old...can't remember for sure.

I just count from when the Grey Box was released. ;)

J. Grenemyer
Grimbolt Hammerhand Posted - 12 Jan 2007 : 15:17:41
When I was 16 I discovered the Forgotten Realms and I haven´t stopped playing until today. This year I will reach my 30th birthday, which brings me to nearly fourteen years of D&D experience .

Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 12 Jan 2007 : 14:37:09
I started playing when I was about 8.. mind you it wasn't the full-on rules, but we got by. that was in like '85, so I have been playing 22 years now. Wow... times flies, eh?

C-Fb
boddynock Posted - 11 Jan 2007 : 23:08:47
My first experience with Dungeons and dragons were the cartoons on television :-)
My first experience with Dungeons and dragons (rpg) was about 10 years ago. I was 16 years old and a clasmate told me about the game. He made a small session for me (one DM and 1 player) and we played a premate adventure from the "introduction to Advanced Dungeons&Dragons"- boxed set. It didn't took long before I started my own party with 2 friends and 2 cousins of me. During that period you can talk about serious gaming. We fought monsters in every room without thinking why the beast was in that place. (A dragon in a room without space to escape, or food). We played a few months and then we stopped and played occasionally.

Later when I was 20 years old I got a new group of AD&D players who had a lot of experience. I was the youngest member of the group and the oldest was about 10 years older than me. I learned a lot of those guys and we played for about 5 years (in theory we still play but we don't find the time to come together anymore). I really enjoyed playing with them.

But during that period I had a feeling that was growning in my stomach :), A feeling to become game master myself. I found a second group who played D&D 3'rd edition. First I was a player there so I could learn the new rules system and now I'm the game master there :).
Aureus Posted - 03 Jan 2007 : 15:28:39
the first D&D I played was BG-II the PC-game, I was about 13 years old
and now playing for real, 20 years old (started a two or three months ago)
Thmpr Posted - 29 Dec 2006 : 00:35:35
I can remember it like it was yesterday I was 8yrs old and my older cousen (whe was 10) showed me his new D&D game. man was it cool. that was back in 77 or so. sense then the game has come a long way. we wold play for days in the summer time. man I miss him.
Delzounblood Posted - 25 Nov 2006 : 14:12:42
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

His first words will prolly be "REDRUM!"

Mace Hammerhand Posted - 24 Nov 2006 : 15:14:45
His first words will prolly be "REDRUM!"
Delzounblood Posted - 24 Nov 2006 : 13:11:32
quote:

Delz, you are...well...weird. King to a 5 yr old.

When I was in that age my mom always read Wilhelm Busch to me... ok, admittedly in Max & Moritz the main characters get ground into flour and baked into pretzels. No wonder I dislike pretzels...

Mace that's 5 1/2 month old he was born 06/06/06

Delz

and yes I AM A KING FAN!
Ateth Istarlin Posted - 24 Nov 2006 : 12:35:48
Summer'79 - Basic D&D.
I was 13yrs old (God that makes me feel old!)
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 24 Nov 2006 : 12:17:05
Delz, you are...well...weird. King to a 5 yr old.

When I was in that age my mom always read Wilhelm Busch to me... ok, admittedly in Max & Moritz the main characters get ground into flour and baked into pretzels. No wonder I dislike pretzels...
Delzounblood Posted - 24 Nov 2006 : 11:22:14
quote:
Originally posted by EvilKnight

quote:
Originally posted by Aglaranna

quote:

quote:

*ahem* You know, I started playing D&D when I was five? My parents definitly had some screwy ideas on how to raise a kid.

Hmm, if the game consisted mainly of problemsolving and roleplaying that is actually a good thing, but if every solution is found by the tip of a sword I wouldn't advise placing any sharp object near ya

Actually, I was scared silly of all those evil looking monsters...I'm not sure I even kept the sword...Hm. It's really no wonder I never got past 1st level, come to think of it.

Really? My son (2.5 yrs old) loves looking through the MMs. Bothers the wife some.... Hmm, maybe there is something I should be worried about?

EvilKnight

I currently read my Forgotten Realms novels to my son to get him to sleep at night, and he's only 5 and a half Months old.

He seems to really like Streams of Silver I don't know why maybe it's the silly voices I give everyone.

But again like EvilKnight my wife gets bothered by this, though not as much as when I started reading Stephen King to him

What else are you to do at 3.30AM.

Could he be classed as the youngest.

Delz
EvilKnight Posted - 24 Nov 2006 : 06:37:28
quote:

quote:

quote:

*ahem* You know, I started playing D&D when I was five? My parents definitly had some screwy ideas on how to raise a kid.

Hmm, if the game consisted mainly of problemsolving and roleplaying that is actually a good thing, but if every solution is found by the tip of a sword I wouldn't advise placing any sharp object near ya

Actually, I was scared silly of all those evil looking monsters...I'm not sure I even kept the sword...Hm. It's really no wonder I never got past 1st level, come to think of it.

Really? My son (2.5 yrs old) loves looking through the MMs. Bothers the wife some.... Hmm, maybe there is something I should be worried about?

EvilKnight
Aglaranna Posted - 23 Nov 2006 : 22:35:26
quote:

quote:

Wandering_mage Posted - 23 Nov 2006 : 22:21:41
I was 13 when I started. Oh, and Kalin your mom rocks. And I mean no offense by that, its just cool that your mom is into forgotten realms literature.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000