Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Murder in Cormyr
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KlarthAilerion
Acolyte

49 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2003 :  21:10:00  Show Profile  Visit KlarthAilerion's Homepage Send KlarthAilerion a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
A while back I was filling in some holes in my Realms collection, and as part of that I read Murder in Cormyr for the first time. I thought the book was a nice change of pace from other Realms lore and was very well written.. normally I'm not a fan of murder mysteries, but I couldn't put down MiC until I was finished. I haven't had the chance to read either of the other Murder in.. novels (the second is a Dragonlance book, so I guess I'll be purchasing my first Dragonlance book before too long), but with how much I enjoyed the first book I'd have to say it's a shame that there were only three titles released.

Any thoughts?

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2003 :  22:05:29  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well im quite surprised to hear this KlarthAilerion, I didnt think the novels had been received well at all! I havent read either, I have both the FR novels in the series but not the DL novel (obviously! ::rolls eyes to the ceiling and tuts:: ) but after hearing your review I might just read Murder in Cormyr soon, itll fit in nicely as ive just finished reading Beyond the High Road and now 1/3 way through Death of the Dragon so at least im keeping in with the Cormyr Flavor.

Is the plot quite twisty and surprising? Im hoping it will have that really shocking and surprising factor or murder mysteries.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

The_Mirt
Acolyte

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2003 :  01:27:55  Show Profile  Visit The_Mirt's Homepage Send The_Mirt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will have to second what Klarth said, Murder in Cormyr was a excellent book. My friend has read Murder in Halruaa, and he said it was just at good as Murder in Cormyr. I'm waiting to read Murder in Halruaa when I get tired of reading Fantasy (About every 10 books). I normally read Terry Pratchett when I need some change.

~Mirt
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2003 :  23:37:36  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Murder in Halruaa is IMO better than MiC. (i know it's hard to beleive)
Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2003 :  02:18:15  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too enjoyed the FR murder books and thought it was a shame no others were produced... though there was supposed to be one or two others that WERE to be produced... but got cancelled just like Pride of the Lion and Neverwinter Nights were cancelled... such a shame...

I am like a superhero, with no powers or motivation.
I have gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
People like you are the reason people like me are on medication.
Go to Top of Page

The_Mirt
Acolyte

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2003 :  05:09:43  Show Profile  Visit The_Mirt's Homepage Send The_Mirt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pride of the Lion was cancled?

I have been wondering about Neverwinter Nights, because I could not find it.. anywhere.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2003 :  08:05:26  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Met

quote:
Originally posted by The_Mirt

Pride of the Lion was cancled?

I have been wondering about Neverwinter Nights, because I could not find it.. anywhere.

Indeed, this scroll details the very issue. However, I believe Dave Gross has done an excellent conclusion to the series with his Lord of Stormweather novel.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

KlarthAilerion
Acolyte

49 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2003 :  08:50:50  Show Profile  Visit KlarthAilerion's Homepage Send KlarthAilerion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's nice to hear that Murder in Halruaa is also a good (if not better read). Now all I've got to do is find it It's time to take a long overdue trip to the local gaming stores and see if I'll be lucky enough to find a copy.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2003 :  18:02:37  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do these novels still have a Realms flavor? I suspected that TSR trying a shot at the murder-mystery genre wouldnt quite work out as it would be more geared towards that particular style and would loose the edge of fantasy.

Does it read and fit well as an FR title or is it merely just a good read?

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2003 :  18:44:58  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitly yes. Both have that extra special bit of FR flavor
Go to Top of Page

Bellua Aeneus Lacerta
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2003 :  04:49:17  Show Profile  Visit Bellua Aeneus Lacerta's Homepage Send Bellua Aeneus Lacerta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad to hear this. I just ordered this book last friday
Go to Top of Page

Rellen Amostirren
Acolyte

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2003 :  17:28:39  Show Profile  Visit Rellen Amostirren's Homepage Send Rellen Amostirren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I remember rightly Rad, Murder in Cormyr felt to me like a generic fantasy murder mystery, and then the author or editor just filled in the blanks to make it Realms relevant. Was quite a while since I read it, but that feeling sticks out in my mind. So much so that despite having Murder in Halruaa on my shelf since it was published, I still havent got round to reading it.

"Stealing teeth and still leaving folks with a smile!!"
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2003 :  20:04:39  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rellen Amostirren

If I remember rightly Rad, Murder in Cormyr felt to me like a generic fantasy murder mystery, and then the author or editor just filled in the blanks to make it Realms relevant. Was quite a while since I read it, but that feeling sticks out in my mind. So much so that despite having Murder in Halruaa on my shelf since it was published, I still havent got round to reading it.

I don't remember well MiC, but MiH is really fit to FR, don't you think?
Go to Top of Page

Mythander
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2003 :  20:21:28  Show Profile  Visit Mythander's Homepage Send Mythander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found both book wonderful and entertaining. I was very hesitant of them at first, but I was glad I did not wait too long to pick them up. Both books IMO did justice to both of there genres.

Wow! That has no saving throw written all over it.
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2008 :  18:27:14  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rellen Amostirren

If I remember rightly Rad, Murder in Cormyr felt to me like a generic fantasy murder mystery, and then the author or editor just filled in the blanks to make it Realms relevant.

I've just finished reading MiC and I have to agree Rellen. The murder mystery part was reasonably well done. There were interesting characters, lots of false leads and enough clues given to allow the reader to suspect the identity of the killer, but without tying up all the loose ends; thus compelling you read to the end, which has a nice twist. I liked the relationship between the young first person narrator and his master.

The FR part is reasonably well done, although there were a few slips, such as elven bread that had "arrived that morning from the Isle of Evermeet" (delivered to Cormyr by teleportation, I guess). The general medieval-like FR context was done poorly in my opinion. There were all sorts of anachronisms (notepads, pencils, branded beers, swag bags for conference goers, all access badges for private parties, etc.) Perhaps the writer meant for these to be tongue in cheek.

Still, MiC was an enjoyable read.
Cheers,
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2008 :  19:51:59  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I totally agree (if I've understood what you said Afet !).
I think that the inquiry plot existed before the author knew he would set in in the Realms.
IMHO, it's really a good plot. I liked it a lot but I was also a bit disappointed by the small links with the Realms.

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  03:25:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a month short of five years since the last post... That's some serious thread necromancy!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  03:59:06  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You should have a proverb as we have in French which says something like that :
Late is better than never !

Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  04:24:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

In (American) English, it's "Better late than never". I'm sure other English-speaking nations have their own version of that one.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  09:50:57  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To throw in my two cents on this topic:

I have made IMHO a nice summary of events, characters and places from this particular novel found on p. 4 of my Looking for all about Cormyr thread.

All in all I myself really enjoyed reading this novel.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  12:18:35  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

To throw in my two cents on this topic:

I have made IMHO a nice summary of events, characters and places from this particular novel found on p. 4 of my Looking for all about Cormyr thread.

All in all I myself really enjoyed reading this novel.

I've already sen this thread but never had a look at it.
I made big mistake !
I did not realize it was a summary of all lore about Cormyr.
I just thought it was your requests and searches about this country.

Thanks for information Erg'.

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2008 :  00:54:26  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

In (American) English, it's "Better late than never". I'm sure other English-speaking nations have their own version of that one.

Yes here in the USA we say "Better English than French"

But seriously, I am glad this thread was revived, since the whole 4e fiasco, I am taking a break and filling out my ollection of older FR books. Now I will definately try to find these!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2008 :  16:22:24  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If anyone is looking for a copy, I just got one on eBay for buy it now of $6.98 including shipping. The seller had 8 more copies, and they are hardbacks.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2008 :  00:51:22  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great little book!!

I liked the characters and it was set in an area unfamiliar to me. Cormyr, spies from the Zhents and the Iron Throne, a ghost and an exhiled in-law of Azoun, what more could you want! Not to mention 2 murders!

Go to Top of Page

hawkytom
Seeker

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  21:25:15  Show Profile Send hawkytom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This was indeed a great read, and I felt the genre was done fairly well in the Realms world. I just wish their were more tales of Jasper/Benelaius!!!

It's a quick read and worth the investment if you can find a copy in my opinion.

[edit:] by the way Ergdusch...I saw your post on 'Ghars' and felt it was a fine summation.

Any Lone Wolf fans? Old school gamebooks from the 80's? They are being re-released/updated, and new books 29-32 being written: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/novels/lonewolfsolo.html

Forgotten Realms BOOKS owned: ALL of them! (ebooks?...NONE! ever)

Edited by - hawkytom on 24 Oct 2008 21:28:19
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  22:40:32  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hawkytom

This was indeed a great read, and I felt the genre was done fairly well in the Realms world. I just wish their were more tales of Jasper/Benelaius!!!

As I've said earlier, I thought the Realms part of this novel could have been done better, but I liked Jasper and Benelaius as well.

It would be fun to have a series of novels in which they move about Cormyr solving mysteries or take up residence in a larger city, like Marsember or Suzail or Arabel. The problem would be convincing a home body like Benelaius to go anywhere.

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham
Go to Top of Page

hawkytom
Seeker

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2008 :  02:02:09  Show Profile Send hawkytom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree that it could have done better, but still enjoyed it. I also think that a series of novels in a larger city would be nice!

I still hope however that they'd find a way to get that "home body" Benelaius involved somehow.

If you recall Kendra the 'adventuress lady' was making him second guess his settling down/retirement (getting out, seeing the world/adventuring etc...)

Wouldn't mind having her join up with Jasper/Benelaius as well! :) They both enjoyed her company, although Benelaius seemed more interested in her knowledge and experiences. Jasper was just hot for her, typical "slop boy". :)

Any Lone Wolf fans? Old school gamebooks from the 80's? They are being re-released/updated, and new books 29-32 being written: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/novels/lonewolfsolo.html

Forgotten Realms BOOKS owned: ALL of them! (ebooks?...NONE! ever)
Go to Top of Page

darkcrow
Learned Scribe

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2009 :  23:29:32  Show Profile  Visit darkcrow's Homepage Send darkcrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished MiC yesterday and I was quite pleased with it. It was a nice change of pace from the other FR books. One little thing irked me though. The cover art. I like to find the scene in the book depicted on the cover. It is not the case in this book. The scene on the cover is wrong. Other then that, The book was great.

May Tymora smile upon ye
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2009 :  14:46:46  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My wife and I both loved it as well.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2009 :  22:20:09  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
was the murder series ever released in paperback.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

darkcrow
Learned Scribe

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2009 :  23:01:20  Show Profile  Visit darkcrow's Homepage Send darkcrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MURDER IN HALRUAA is the only one that is hardcover only

May Tymora smile upon ye
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000