Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Murder in Cormyr

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
KlarthAilerion Posted - 31 Mar 2003 : 21:10:00
A while back I was filling in some holes in my Realms collection, and as part of that I read Murder in Cormyr for the first time. I thought the book was a nice change of pace from other Realms lore and was very well written.. normally I'm not a fan of murder mysteries, but I couldn't put down MiC until I was finished. I haven't had the chance to read either of the other Murder in.. novels (the second is a Dragonlance book, so I guess I'll be purchasing my first Dragonlance book before too long), but with how much I enjoyed the first book I'd have to say it's a shame that there were only three titles released.

Any thoughts?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
darkcrow Posted - 24 Mar 2009 : 23:01:20
MURDER IN HALRUAA is the only one that is hardcover only
swifty Posted - 24 Mar 2009 : 22:20:09
was the murder series ever released in paperback.
Hawkins Posted - 24 Mar 2009 : 14:46:46
My wife and I both loved it as well.
darkcrow Posted - 23 Mar 2009 : 23:29:32
I just finished MiC yesterday and I was quite pleased with it. It was a nice change of pace from the other FR books. One little thing irked me though. The cover art. I like to find the scene in the book depicted on the cover. It is not the case in this book. The scene on the cover is wrong. Other then that, The book was great.
hawkytom Posted - 25 Oct 2008 : 02:02:09
I agree that it could have done better, but still enjoyed it. I also think that a series of novels in a larger city would be nice!

I still hope however that they'd find a way to get that "home body" Benelaius involved somehow.

If you recall Kendra the 'adventuress lady' was making him second guess his settling down/retirement (getting out, seeing the world/adventuring etc...)

Wouldn't mind having her join up with Jasper/Benelaius as well! :) They both enjoyed her company, although Benelaius seemed more interested in her knowledge and experiences. Jasper was just hot for her, typical "slop boy". :)
Afetbinttuzani Posted - 24 Oct 2008 : 22:40:32
quote:
Originally posted by hawkytom

This was indeed a great read, and I felt the genre was done fairly well in the Realms world. I just wish their were more tales of Jasper/Benelaius!!!

As I've said earlier, I thought the Realms part of this novel could have been done better, but I liked Jasper and Benelaius as well.

It would be fun to have a series of novels in which they move about Cormyr solving mysteries or take up residence in a larger city, like Marsember or Suzail or Arabel. The problem would be convincing a home body like Benelaius to go anywhere.
hawkytom Posted - 24 Oct 2008 : 21:25:15
This was indeed a great read, and I felt the genre was done fairly well in the Realms world. I just wish their were more tales of Jasper/Benelaius!!!

It's a quick read and worth the investment if you can find a copy in my opinion.

[edit:] by the way Ergdusch...I saw your post on 'Ghars' and felt it was a fine summation.
The Red Walker Posted - 24 Aug 2008 : 00:51:22
Great little book!!

I liked the characters and it was set in an area unfamiliar to me. Cormyr, spies from the Zhents and the Iron Throne, a ghost and an exhiled in-law of Azoun, what more could you want! Not to mention 2 murders!
The Red Walker Posted - 04 Jul 2008 : 16:22:24
If anyone is looking for a copy, I just got one on eBay for buy it now of $6.98 including shipping. The seller had 8 more copies, and they are hardbacks.
The Red Walker Posted - 01 Jul 2008 : 00:54:26
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

You should have a proverb as we have in French which says something like that :
Late is better than never !

In (American) English, it's "Better late than never". I'm sure other English-speaking nations have their own version of that one.

Yes here in the USA we say "Better English than French"

But seriously, I am glad this thread was revived, since the whole 4e fiasco, I am taking a break and filling out my ollection of older FR books. Now I will definately try to find these!
Fillow Posted - 16 Jun 2008 : 12:18:35
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

To throw in my two cents on this topic:

I have made IMHO a nice summary of events, characters and places from this particular novel found on p. 4 of my Looking for all about Cormyr thread.

All in all I myself really enjoyed reading this novel.

I've already sen this thread but never had a look at it.
I made big mistake !
I did not realize it was a summary of all lore about Cormyr.
I just thought it was your requests and searches about this country.

Thanks for information Erg'.
Ergdusch Posted - 16 Jun 2008 : 09:50:57
To throw in my two cents on this topic:

I have made IMHO a nice summary of events, characters and places from this particular novel found on p. 4 of my Looking for all about Cormyr thread.

All in all I myself really enjoyed reading this novel.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Jun 2008 : 04:24:58
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

In (American) English, it's "Better late than never". I'm sure other English-speaking nations have their own version of that one.
Fillow Posted - 16 Jun 2008 : 03:59:06
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Jun 2008 : 03:25:56
Just a month short of five years since the last post... That's some serious thread necromancy!
Fillow Posted - 15 Jun 2008 : 19:51:59
I totally agree (if I've understood what you said Afet !).
I think that the inquiry plot existed before the author knew he would set in in the Realms.
IMHO, it's really a good plot. I liked it a lot but I was also a bit disappointed by the small links with the Realms.
Afetbinttuzani Posted - 15 Jun 2008 : 18:27:14
quote:
Originally posted by Rellen Amostirren

If I remember rightly Rad, Murder in Cormyr felt to me like a generic fantasy murder mystery, and then the author or editor just filled in the blanks to make it Realms relevant.

I've just finished reading MiC and I have to agree Rellen. The murder mystery part was reasonably well done. There were interesting characters, lots of false leads and enough clues given to allow the reader to suspect the identity of the killer, but without tying up all the loose ends; thus compelling you read to the end, which has a nice twist. I liked the relationship between the young first person narrator and his master.

The FR part is reasonably well done, although there were a few slips, such as elven bread that had "arrived that morning from the Isle of Evermeet" (delivered to Cormyr by teleportation, I guess). The general medieval-like FR context was done poorly in my opinion. There were all sorts of anachronisms (notepads, pencils, branded beers, swag bags for conference goers, all access badges for private parties, etc.) Perhaps the writer meant for these to be tongue in cheek.

Still, MiC was an enjoyable read.
Cheers,
Afet
Mythander Posted - 24 Jul 2003 : 20:21:28
I found both book wonderful and entertaining. I was very hesitant of them at first, but I was glad I did not wait too long to pick them up. Both books IMO did justice to both of there genres.
zemd Posted - 08 Apr 2003 : 20:04:39
quote:
Originally posted by Rellen Amostirren

If I remember rightly Rad, Murder in Cormyr felt to me like a generic fantasy murder mystery, and then the author or editor just filled in the blanks to make it Realms relevant. Was quite a while since I read it, but that feeling sticks out in my mind. So much so that despite having Murder in Halruaa on my shelf since it was published, I still havent got round to reading it.

I don't remember well MiC, but MiH is really fit to FR, don't you think?
Rellen Amostirren Posted - 08 Apr 2003 : 17:28:39
If I remember rightly Rad, Murder in Cormyr felt to me like a generic fantasy murder mystery, and then the author or editor just filled in the blanks to make it Realms relevant. Was quite a while since I read it, but that feeling sticks out in my mind. So much so that despite having Murder in Halruaa on my shelf since it was published, I still havent got round to reading it.
Bellua Aeneus Lacerta Posted - 04 Apr 2003 : 04:49:17
I'm glad to hear this. I just ordered this book last friday
zemd Posted - 02 Apr 2003 : 18:44:58
Definitly yes. Both have that extra special bit of FR flavor
Lord Rad Posted - 02 Apr 2003 : 18:02:37
Do these novels still have a Realms flavor? I suspected that TSR trying a shot at the murder-mystery genre wouldnt quite work out as it would be more geared towards that particular style and would loose the edge of fantasy.

Does it read and fit well as an FR title or is it merely just a good read?
KlarthAilerion Posted - 02 Apr 2003 : 08:50:50
It's nice to hear that Murder in Halruaa is also a good (if not better read). Now all I've got to do is find it It's time to take a long overdue trip to the local gaming stores and see if I'll be lucky enough to find a copy.
Alaundo Posted - 02 Apr 2003 : 08:05:26
Well Met

quote:
Originally posted by The_Mirt

Pride of the Lion was cancled?

I have been wondering about Neverwinter Nights, because I could not find it.. anywhere.

Indeed, this scroll details the very issue. However, I believe Dave Gross has done an excellent conclusion to the series with his Lord of Stormweather novel.
The_Mirt Posted - 02 Apr 2003 : 05:09:43
Pride of the Lion was cancled?

I have been wondering about Neverwinter Nights, because I could not find it.. anywhere.
Zacas Posted - 02 Apr 2003 : 02:18:15
I too enjoyed the FR murder books and thought it was a shame no others were produced... though there was supposed to be one or two others that WERE to be produced... but got cancelled just like Pride of the Lion and Neverwinter Nights were cancelled... such a shame...
zemd Posted - 01 Apr 2003 : 23:37:36
Murder in Halruaa is IMO better than MiC. (i know it's hard to beleive)
The_Mirt Posted - 01 Apr 2003 : 01:27:55
I will have to second what Klarth said, Murder in Cormyr was a excellent book. My friend has read Murder in Halruaa, and he said it was just at good as Murder in Cormyr. I'm waiting to read Murder in Halruaa when I get tired of reading Fantasy (About every 10 books). I normally read Terry Pratchett when I need some change.

~Mirt
Lord Rad Posted - 31 Mar 2003 : 22:05:29
Well im quite surprised to hear this KlarthAilerion, I didnt think the novels had been received well at all! I havent read either, I have both the FR novels in the series but not the DL novel (obviously! ::rolls eyes to the ceiling and tuts:: ) but after hearing your review I might just read Murder in Cormyr soon, itll fit in nicely as ive just finished reading Beyond the High Road and now 1/3 way through Death of the Dragon so at least im keeping in with the Cormyr Flavor.

Is the plot quite twisty and surprising? Im hoping it will have that really shocking and surprising factor or murder mysteries.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000