Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Chosen of Nendawen
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2008 :  23:18:44  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I came across this in WOTC's online catalog:

http://ww2.wizards.com/books/Wizards/Products/?doc=240487400

The first book is The Hand of the Hunter by Mark Sehestedt.

Not sure if this is a trilogy by Mark or a set of stand alones.

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2008 :  01:54:12  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Admittedly, there's not much info there...

-Going by the fact that it's Mark Sehestedt, and that 'Nendawen' sounds surprisingly like a lot of the Elven that he's created for his Eastern Lythari, there's a chance that it might take place in the Utter East, or somehow involve the Eastern Lythari.

-We'll see...

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 05 Nov 2008 01:56:07
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2008 :  18:59:39  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, and at this point, it's not a given that I'll rush out to buy this book, or any other FR book (although I think this is a good author). I'll need more information before I make a decision.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2008 :  03:53:27  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-Admittedly, there's not much info there...

-Going by the fact that it's Mark Sehestedt, and that 'Nendawen' sounds surprisingly like a lot of the Elven that he's created for his Eastern Lythari, there's a chance that it might take place in the Utter East, or somehow involve the Eastern Lythari.

-We'll see...

I hope so. Frostfell was terrific

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2008 :  16:04:29  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

-If you say so. I wasn't that big of a fan of it. That's probably because of the story, though, rather than the author's writing or anything. I like the Utter East, and Elves are always good in my book, so I'd chalk it up to a story I wasn't totally into.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2008 :  16:35:05  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

-If you say so. I wasn't that big of a fan of it. That's probably because of the story, though, rather than the author's writing or anything. I like the Utter East, and Elves are always good in my book, so I'd chalk it up to a story I wasn't totally into.

I must say, I liked Frostfell a lot, but I liked Sentinentalspire even more. So I have high hopes for this series

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2008 :  18:21:36  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have not yet read Frostfell (asked for it for X-mas so hopefully that will change soon) but I thought Sentinelspire was excellent. In fact all 3 of the Citadels books I have read so far were very good.

Anyway, I'll definitely be reading Frostfell soon and will pick up Hand of the Hunter as soon as it comes out.

Edited by - DragonReader on 18 Nov 2008 18:23:33
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2008 :  18:28:25  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Yes, Sentinelspire certainly was a good novel. That one, along with Paul Kemp's novel that's slated to come out soon, are what I consider to be the final Forgotten Realms novels. Seems like a good way to go out, I think.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2008 :  03:25:59  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-Yes, Sentinelspire certainly was a good novel. That one, along with Paul Kemp's novel that's slated to come out soon, are what I consider to be the final Forgotten Realms novels. Seems like a good way to go out, I think.

I see you're as positive as I am during all this

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2008 :  15:13:01  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-That's me, Mr. Positive.

-Though, I will say, Bruce Cordell's upcoming novel Plague of Spells does look interesting. I am going to pick that one up, and maybe the rest of the trilogy, if I like the first one enough. If this book looks good, I'll skim it, and maybe pick it up. I can't rule out the possibility.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2008 :  03:56:02  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

-That's me, Mr. Positive.

-Though, I will say, Bruce Cordell's upcoming novel Plague of Spells does look interesting. I am going to pick that one up, and maybe the rest of the trilogy, if I like the first one enough. If this book looks good, I'll skim it, and maybe pick it up. I can't rule out the possibility.

Why does it look interesting?

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2008 :  03:59:12  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Why does it look interesting?

-Aboleth are interesting enough creatures, and I have a "city" of Aboleth in my own campaign that I might draw some inspiration for, being as that I haven't done much with them. I found the plot of Stardeep highly intriguing, in the concept of the Traitor, Xxiphu, and a few other tangents related to that. I also, as you know enjoyed the character Raidon Kane, as he combines some of my favorite aspects of the Forgotten Realms- Kara-Tur, and Elves.

Elves of Faerūn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 20 Nov 2008 04:00:11
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2008 :  04:21:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought Frostfell was excellent, and I have already modified my Hordelands map accordingly. Although Sentinelspire took place in the same region, it didn't offer as much geographic goodness (it did give me a couple of other things for my Hordlands project, though).

All in all, I enjoyed both those novels, and look forward to more by the author.

This reminds me... I need to mail those improved maps to Alaundo...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2008 :  04:38:48  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which Kemp novel is that? Reading the 4e Realms sourcebooks sapped all will to even check that section of the bookstore any more. But I enjoyed Sentinelspire, loathed Obsidian Ridge, and am more than willing to pick up one last real Realms book I didn't know existed.

quote:

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2008 :  14:26:53  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Which Kemp novel is that?

Shadowrealm.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2008 :  17:24:03  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-Shadowrealm, Book III of the Twilight War trilogy. It's been pushed back quite a few months now (I believe it was supposed to have originally been released in either March or June of this year, but was pushed back- according to Paul's reasoning, though he himself didn't know the 'official' reason- as to not create a 'lore' buildup, with that novel, Ascendancy of the Last, the FRCG, the FRPG and Blackstaff Tower all coming out around the same time.), but is slated to be released in December some time. So, very soon.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2008 :  18:17:10  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apologies for being off-topic, but:

I firmly believe that if you don't read Blackstaff Tower and Mistshore, then you are really missing out.

They're both extremely good, extremely *Realms* fantasy novels.

Just my 2 cent endorsement.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2008 :  18:25:55  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Apologies for being off-topic, but:

I firmly believe that if you don't read Blackstaff Tower and Mistshore, then you are really missing out.

They're both extremely good, extremely *Realms* fantasy novels.

Just my 2 cent endorsement.

Cheers

Well, I have completely given up on the Realms as a campaign setting myself. But I will still pick up the occasional novel that looks good including the aforementioned as well as any future Fox-at-Twilight books. hint hint

Edited by - MerrikCale on 20 Nov 2008 18:27:03
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2008 :  18:43:38  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

-Shadowrealm, Book III of the Twilight War trilogy. It's been pushed back quite a few months now (I believe it was supposed to have originally been released in either March or June of this year, but was pushed back- according to Paul's reasoning, though he himself didn't know the 'official' reason- as to not create a 'lore' buildup, with that novel, Ascendancy of the Last, the FRCG, the FRPG and Blackstaff Tower all coming out around the same time.), but is slated to be released in December some time. So, very soon.

I believe the release date is December 2nd.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2008 :  18:45:10  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-All the better, then. That's like two weeks from now.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2009 :  14:48:28  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is mark still around these forums?

Hi Mark!

Can you share any info on what your trilogy is about?

Best regards, Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2009 :  15:11:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

Is mark still around these forums?
I don't think so. Or, rather, he's not been active here at Candlekeep since July '08.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2009 :  19:09:00  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sage!

I will try via pm and email.

If I am lucky and receive an answer, I will, if I may, share it with you here at the Keep, of course!

Edit Note:
The email adress Mark S. left here at the Keep is apparently not valid anymore (even though it is hosted by wotc). Therefore, no hope for further infos.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 12 Jan 2009 19:28:21
Go to Top of Page

Sith_Lord_Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
92 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2009 :  17:03:18  Show Profile  Visit Sith_Lord_Drizzt's Homepage Send Sith_Lord_Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Amazon has the description of the first book of this series.

Hweilan is the last of the line of Highwatch and--as she discovers--one of the last of the Vil Adanrath, a bloodline of lycanthropes left on Faerūn. Guric, her uncle and the slayer of Hwelian's family, has released a terrible evil in order to resurrect his beloved wife and gain control of the northern countries. When Hweilan escapes Guric's schemes, she is taken in by Lendri, a Vil Adanrath who has stayed in Faerūn to help guide Hweilan to her fate.

What are your thoughts based on the description? I haven't read much about lycanthropes and I must say that I'm a bit intrigued.

"Jarlaxle's grin disappeared as he turned his attention to Drizzt. He watched the fury of the drow unleashed. Jarlaxle had seen Drizzt in action many times before, but never like that".
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2009 :  19:02:49  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Having read Frostfell I can say I do like the Vil Adanrath, and I think the author is a good writer.

However, from what I understand, this novel (like all other novels coming down the pipe) will be set in the 4E timeline, and therefore I currently do not plan on picking it up. That's not a "never", it's just not likely.

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2009 :  20:56:22  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I thought Frostfell was excellent, and I have already modified my Hordelands map accordingly. Although Sentinelspire took place in the same region, it didn't offer as much geographic goodness (it did give me a couple of other things for my Hordlands project, though).

All in all, I enjoyed both those novels, and look forward to more by the author.

Wow, there seems to be a majority here that likes both Frostfell and Sentinelspire.
I think both novels were really good regarding setting and atmosphere (especially Sentinelspire) , but the main characters were extremely weak developed in my opinion. Pseudo-striken personalities who constantly fight with themselves and the world.

I hope, Mark Sehestedt will improve character description, identification and development in his next novels because the stories in itself have been really good so far and I would love to read more of him with characters, that are not the weakest part of the book.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000