Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Monks in Faerūn
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  09:26:26  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammer of Moradin

Chosen, if I can complete it in time, look for a Candlekeep Compendium article on an order of dwarven monks early to the middle of next year.

Cool - the headbudding monks of Clangeddin Silverbeard! One of my PCs is a dwarven monk, though the combination was more a gaming effect than his real choice, for he started the game a being human.....

Anyhow, keep up the work - I can't wait reading it.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  12:13:24  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, a good idea, Hammer. That“s my point in this question, too: martial arts don“t need, exactly, to be "oriental martial arts". We have too many fighting styles in our world, in the ocident, to prove this.

I think that the Realms will develope fighting styles in the same way, too. Of course, dwarven monks will be a must to me! I“ll expect eagerly your article, Northen cousin!

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  14:32:08  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Having thought more on this subject (yes i can think, and no it doesn't hurt that much) i have decided that i like the feel of the monks for the realms, and with the influance of the Kara-tur region i mean its not like a sea or anything stops monks from wandering over, or anything. Not to mention where the original monks started from i mean that someone would speculate that the monk focus is very old and just rediscovered lore for most of the churches of the world. I mean Shar and Selune both two of the oldest gods have monks, so why wouldn't others. Plus it helps the churches to have a fighting branch other than clerics with spells. I do think that the Jhaamdath empire would have had more monks than the Netherness but those two empire probabbly interacted so who's to say that the idea of monks wasn't something that was traded.

"Develop the latent abilities within you for that is your power alone. Psionics is the ultimate art of magic and you are its practitioner. Through lifelong dedication, strive to unite your will with your physical form to become one. Only through the unrestrained union of oneā€™s mind and body can the magic of psionics truly be mastered. Throw off the yoke of any who would impose tyranny upon you. Likewise, do not ever force another to submit to your will. Free your mind, free yourself and you have only just begun the path to true psionic mastery. Free others, open their minds to the Invisible Art, and you will show them way to Auppenser."
---Dogma of the Church of Auppenser
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  15:16:18  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am not mappy about the idea about monks in Ferun. I see monks as an asian type of priest, and dont understand whey they decided that they had to come to ferun? What will be next, a wujen mage guild in Comyr. And now we have a Thay enclave in Scardale ? Sorry i just dont understand whey they had to mix it all. In my game (I am DM), monks come from the Kara-tur region, not from hardlands, and The Red Wizards of Thay are from Thay!

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 08 Nov 2006 15:21:14
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  15:58:41  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I disagree with the redwizards of Thay statement they are a nation of (evil) wizards the enclaves are more akin to embassies and they are used to utilize trade. They are trying to subvert the world kinda their goal for oh i don't know centuries they have a very valid reason to be active in the realms at least from their view point. And Red Wizards of Thay are from thay even if they have enclaves in other areas they are still Thayvian citizens and origionally from Thay kinda like American embassies doesn't mean we are calling the locals Americans!

"Develop the latent abilities within you for that is your power alone. Psionics is the ultimate art of magic and you are its practitioner. Through lifelong dedication, strive to unite your will with your physical form to become one. Only through the unrestrained union of oneā€™s mind and body can the magic of psionics truly be mastered. Throw off the yoke of any who would impose tyranny upon you. Likewise, do not ever force another to submit to your will. Free your mind, free yourself and you have only just begun the path to true psionic mastery. Free others, open their minds to the Invisible Art, and you will show them way to Auppenser."
---Dogma of the Church of Auppenser
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  18:40:40  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Re:FR_Junkie

You certainly bring up a good point. My answer to this would be that a monk seeking to surpass 10th level in the absence of one to teach him would have to step away from his adventuring career to focus on advancing his art. This is something of a contradiction in terms of game mechanics (i.e. w/o monsters, you can't get XP to gain levels). The contradiction is equally pertinent to a wizard that spends all of his time in his tower, studying arcane tomes. He hasn't adventured, he hasn't gotten any experience, how is he an Arch-Mage?

I am not fond of those game mechanics and specifically do not award XP for killing monsters.

The standard XP rules make monsters into grotesquely wrapped packages of EXP which must be "un-wrapped" to get what's inside. I believe that KEJR probably agrees with me since he so stringently insists on using "training" rules.

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

Entreri1000
Acolyte

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  13:51:38  Show Profile  Visit Entreri1000's Homepage Send Entreri1000 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Monks are great at killing mages and psionist.

My high level monk in Baldurs Gate2 completely owned mages etc.
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  15:09:02  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:
Originally posted by hammer of Moradin

Chosen, if I can complete it in time, look for a Candlekeep Compendium article on an order of dwarven monks early to the middle of next year.

In general, monks need to have some explanation of how they acquired their hand-to-hand combat techniques. We equate this h-t-h fighting with martial arts and Shaolin type monks. Hong Kong action flicks or karate from Japan is, to us, martial arts. However, what would have happened to boxing if it had become a zen-like sport for personal defense taught to peasants and those seeking enlightenment in our past?
With the varied races of the Realms, why do monks necessarily have to use -our- Eastern style martial arts, and not some other kind.

Well met

That's a very good point you've raised, hammer of Moradin. I'd never actually thought of that myself either and always simply accepted the stereotypical monk fighting style.

Needless to say, i'll certainly look forward to thy forthcoming article

I agree why do we just accept the Monk to have eastern aka Martial Arts fighting as standard?

Perhaps someone could expand on this and create a Prc for monks or at least a sub-class that uses "Other" fighting styles..

The Psionic Monk.
The Boxing Monk.
The Phasing Monk (a monk who can through meditation phase out to the etheral plane).

I'm all for martial arts I used to do Ju-Jitsu myself, But how about a more and true Western Monk?

As for Dwarven Monks hehe they could be a special elite Battlerager Monk Class!!!!
They could even have a new GutBuster " HOLY GUTBUSTER " Blessed by the Soul Forger Himself

Just picture it... Headbutting a Giant in the DooDaa's (to coin Pikel) whilst wearing a head spike!!!

Delz

I'm Back!

Edited by - Delzounblood on 22 Nov 2006 15:14:23
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  15:17:02  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like how Walkerninja incorporated the monastic tradition into the standard faiths, IMO Danica as written in the Cleric Quintet represents this. It also shows why it's probably viewed with some degree of detachment, kinda like "break boards with your hand if you want, I have a mace to do that".
I also like the way Hammer views various fighting styles among races. I was never a fan of the dwarven monk, I always saw them as more of a reaping mauler PrC, type of unarmed fighter, but why couldn't a dwarven monk have developed along the same lines? Thanks for broadening my perception, Hammer.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2006 :  16:10:00  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There many styles of fighting that could be equated to the realms from the real world. There is a dancing style of fighting in Brazil and many fighting styles in Africa that are not Asian influenced.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2006 :  18:39:36  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Capoeira is the afrobrazilian martial art you meant. Relatively recently developed by the slaves of afro brazilian origin. It was camoeflaged as a dance because fighting training wasn't allowed at ranches which held slaves. The acrobatic and flashy dance allowed the dancers to train the body for future escapes.

I imagine indiginous martial arts in the realms to be a lot more dirty and as a less flashy type of fighting style. Harnessing Ki(your connection to the weave)-like abilities could be explained by practitioners as feeling and following the flow of a brawl. This encourages the wise approuch that the concept of monks have.

Certain supernatural abilities of monks are a bit of a pain to explain in a pseudomedieval fantasy setting. The same problem of psionics. But the Invisible Art has a place in Faerun and monks do as well so maybe they tap a little into their psionic potential to achieve their high level abilities. The 20th level outsider type change gives dr/magic, something psi powers could emulate.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders

Edited by - Bladewind on 23 Nov 2006 18:41:22
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2006 :  00:27:21  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Victor_ograygor

I am not mappy about the idea about monks in Ferun. I see monks as an asian type of priest, and dont understand whey they decided that they had to come to ferun? What will be next, a wujen mage guild in Comyr. And now we have a Thay enclave in Scardale ? Sorry i just dont understand whey they had to mix it all. In my game (I am DM), monks come from the Kara-tur region, not from hardlands, and The Red Wizards of Thay are from Thay!

I think Hammer has a point there by suggesting that the FR monks need not be stereotypical Shaolin/Kung-Fu-movie type martial artists. There is nothing in the rules to label them as priests or particularly religious. I have tried to imagine them using a combination of boxing (and kicking ;) and meditation (ki). IMHO they are more like philosophical and mysterious warriors, specializing in unarmed combat - in the same way that fighters specialize in weapons (but with different features :) Perhaps their fighting style does not really differ a lot from kick-boxing - they just try to maximize their physical and mental capabilities (i.e. learn to strike at the most vulnerable spots, learn to strike quickly and effectively while using your whole body's strength behind the blow, etcetera). I have also imagined that the Sneak Attack -class feature is also based on this.

BTW, there is a monk from Calimshan statted in the FRCS. Maybe their origin lies in that direction, hey?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2006 :  02:31:40  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

Capoeira is the afrobrazilian martial art you meant. Relatively recently developed by the slaves of afro brazilian origin. It was camoeflaged as a dance because fighting training wasn't allowed at ranches which held slaves. The acrobatic and flashy dance allowed the dancers to train the body for future escapes.

That is it exactly. Thank you. Its very unlike Asian martial arts

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2006 :  15:28:47  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

quote:

That is it exactly. Thank you. Its very unlike Asian martial arts

No problem. I practised this beautiful sport for 3 years now, it really feels great to do sideflips and somersaults :) It's very fast and kick oriented. The similarities with asian martial arts are hidden behind the circular attack movements and the dancing stance(ginga) you learn to perform the the dance with a fellow capoeirista (joga di capoeira). The techniques for kicks and sweeps are very much like regular asian martial arts but you learn to time them with your ginga and to use momentum. It still remains mostly a dance with things like particular evasive footwork and rules for engagement. That doesn't mean you cant kick the hell out of any karateka though

So wherever martial arts are formed, optimizing kick and handsrtrikes will result in similarly employed techniques. Fearunians are bound to have their own rich traditional pugilistic or kick oriented fighting styles

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2006 :  05:44:48  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

There is nothing in the rules to label them as priests or particularly religious.

I'm going to have to disagree with that part. Take a look through Faiths & Pantheons, and various other sourcebooks, like there's a drow monk order in Underdark that is connected to Lloth, and ya'll see that many of the monk orders are connected to a deity or deities.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2006 :  17:19:23  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Monks were big in Europe in the Middle Ages. As inspirations I think of The Name of the Rose and the Cadfael episodes of Mystery for you PBS watchers. Then of course there was Friar Tuck of Robin Hood's band of merry men; he was always portrayed as kind of a brawler.

Now, true, fighting prowess was not something you generally associate with European monks, but in a fantasy world of secluded monasteries beset by orcs and evil warlords and dragons, it is only natural that monks would need to develop some skills to defend themselves.

IIRC, Friar Tuck always seemed to use a beer stein as his monk weapon. I am surprised that D&D monks have not developed some other unique fighting styles. I would love to see dwarven monks who used battle steins and manouevers such as blinding spray, flaming spit take and belch of thunder. Even if they just used some style based on hammers, I think dwarven monks could be very, very cool.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  00:12:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

There is nothing in the rules to label them as priests or particularly religious.

I'm going to have to disagree with that part. Take a look through Faiths & Pantheons, and various other sourcebooks, like there's a drow monk order in Underdark that is connected to Lloth, and ya'll see that many of the monk orders are connected to a deity or deities.

Indeed.

Additionally, the Faiths & Pantheons web enhancement details other deity-based monk orders.

See here:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20020504a

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  01:59:10  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

Indeed.

Additionally, the Faiths & Pantheons web enhancement details other deity-based monk orders.

See here:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20020504a

Wow, very nice! The Order of the Changeless Face is my favorite from this list. Beating down change with feet and fist, love it!
The Brotherhood of the Scarlet Scourge are downright scary with their creepy nails and their god Yutrus...
One could match some feat and skill choices to the styles of Fearun's monk orders; the offensive orders would favor feats like cleave and powerattack, the defensive ones disarm and expertise. Their was a dragon magazine with lots of style choices cant remeber whcih one.
Oh and which order follows under Lolths guidence?

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Edited by - Bladewind on 27 Nov 2006 02:01:41
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  02:18:14  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh and which order follows under Lolths guidence?

The Blackened Fist in the city of Undrek'Thoz under Thay.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  02:18:15  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

But they are not by definition, deity-based. I agree that in most instances they are

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  02:20:43  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But they are not by definition, deity-based. I agree that in most instances they are

By whose definition? If they are connected to the churches/deities, then they are deity based. And most monk orders in FR are connected to churches and deities.

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  02:23:05  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
And most monk orders in FR are connected to churches and deities.

Like I said, most monk orders are deity based. Just not all. Monk orders do not have to be tied to a particular church.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  02:27:40  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
And most monk orders in FR are connected to churches and deities.

Like I said, most monk orders are deity based. Just not all. Monk orders do not have to be tied to a particular church.

Okay and? I never said all, I said most and many, more then once.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  03:52:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Well, if they're acting under orders from a particular church itself, or just consider themselves as an "arm" of the church hierarchy, then it's likely most monk orders have some connection to either the deity or the church they serve. The Zealots of the Written Word, who are connected with the clergies of Deneir, may fall into this category.

Some orders may not even have a true connection to any particular church or clergy of the deity they worship, and instead consider themselves mortal expressions of their god's power in the Realms -- such as the Disciples of the Phoenix, who follow Kossuth.

Go to Top of Page

LucianBarasu
Fellaren-Krae Co-ordinator

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  23:08:10  Show Profile  Visit LucianBarasu's Homepage Send LucianBarasu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Been Dming since 1ed. Have seen the monks go "poofy" in 2ed and wondered why.
I asked my players opinions and they agreed that oriental/asian style monks
who are xerox copies of david carradine don't belong in western medieval /fantasy.
All agreed but one.
IF you go back, and I mean WAY back, Oghma had one particular portfolio... wrestling.
He was into athletics and wrestling, and I am sure all his monks didn't wear chain and steel and hide behind shields. I am sure you could work out a sect of Oghma clerics that fit into the MONK slot.
With 3.5 and that portoflio dissapearing off Oggie's list, Its logical why Faerun and Kara-Tur are seperated. If people want to play a monk in my campaign, they have to give me a DETAILED explanation why they got past the Horde and got over than "little thing" I like to call the Dragonwall. They don't fit in Faerun. But just because it looks like timing to have the Monk slip into FR from 1st ed. before 2nd ed came out, I think it is acvtually more a reason of Location, not edition printing.

As far as your question, You can merge the classic Kung fu Monk with an offshoot or "Faerunian Westernization" of Oghma's lost Portfolio. That's how I got around it.
i.e. Kelemvor's clergy has to have defenders of temples. And isn't it true, that monks call their "KI" life force, Life=opposit= death, Kelmvor's monks use KI to stop undead.. etc...
or...
Lathander's clergy sometimes practice the use of unarmed combat, and build up their "KI" which you can have give off useless kight when used, which emulated ability to "shannel the Morninglord" with KI..
or...
At very young age, selceted few cleric of [insert god here] are sent over or through to kara-Tur to study focusing their Ki for their god, their gift of prayer is manifested in gifts as their KI...

Lucian "The Bringer" Barasu
Fellaren Krae Project Co-Ordinator

"Why do you cry?"
"He is Conan, Cimmerian. He won't cry... So I cry for him."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  23:46:46  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting topic. Both of the monks I've created so far are religious (one follows Lathander, the other Eilistraee...oh yeah, and they are both petite elven ladies). But remember that there are different ways (and different degrees of being) "religious". Perhaps some monks are quasi-priests, and perhaps others aren't so overtly pious.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 27 Nov 2006 23:47:52
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  00:31:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Perhaps some monks are quasi-priests...
I would tend to think this is sometimes how the Zealots of the Written Word are viewed by outsiders... since the monks often engage in some of the activities of the clergy of Deneir themselves.

Go to Top of Page

reddfox321
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2007 :  16:28:17  Show Profile  Visit reddfox321's Homepage Send reddfox321 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

I, personally speaking, think that the "monk issue" fall in the point that Ed always show to us: Faerūn is not the Europe, and don“t have any obligation to behave like Europe.

And there it is... I never understood how elves, ogres and dragons could be tolerated but the monk class is WAAAAAAY out of place.

Moon Elf Ranger
Go to Top of Page

reddfox321
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2007 :  16:34:57  Show Profile  Visit reddfox321's Homepage Send reddfox321 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Victor_ograygor

As others have pointed out there are many different styles one can use in the monk class. They don't have to flip around or do high kicks. If you want to "westernize" the monk feel free. Turn them into a bar fighter or a body guard or an spy. Just keep in mind... Faerun is NOT Europe.

Moon Elf Ranger
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2007 :  17:05:18  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Asia did not create monks.
Monks are not only on the model of our-world-Shaolin-ones .
When I think to monks, I prefer think to Sean Connery in " the Name of the rose", to soldier-monks of medieval Europe,... not to asian-type of them.

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000