Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Dragons of Faerun
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

Swordsage
Learned Scribe

149 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2006 :  09:35:17  Show Profile  Visit Swordsage's Homepage Send Swordsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, let me put it this way: if the art is great but the content is awful and vice versa, which would you prefer?

The Swordsage
Go to Top of Page

Monsoon28
Acolyte

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2006 :  10:51:06  Show Profile  Visit Monsoon28's Homepage Send Monsoon28 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The point is we do have the cover art, we're going to have to wait a little while further still for the content. So we can come together and critique the cover, when we get the content then we can critique that.

The issue is that it's art, therefore inherently subjective to the viewer. The Cover is nice but some are finding it less then rememberable. Other's think it's fine, but if you're a fan of WAR's work then you're probable going to be happier with the (cover) art that many Ebberon books are getting over FR, but if your a bigger fan of ppl such as Lucio Parrillo, Adam Rex or Marc Sasso then FR is keeping you happy. Personally, dragons were better utilized on the covers of Power of Faerun and Champions of Ruin then on Dragons of Faerun.

IMO WAR is to D&D what Kevin Long was to The Rift's RPG, but like I said arts subjective and others will totally disagree.

'The only thing I know is that I know nothing' -Socrates

Edited by - Monsoon28 on 02 Jun 2006 10:53:57
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2006 :  11:13:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I've said before, I've not been a fan of TSR/WotC artwork since they stopped employing Larry Elmore, Jeff Easley, Clyde Caldwell, and, to a lesser extent, the late Keith Parkinson. The art was phenomenal, back in those days. Since then, the art has been forgettable, at best. If I bought FR products based on artwork, I'd've not picked up anything new for over 10 years.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2006 :  18:32:16  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

As I've said before, I've not been a fan of TSR/WotC artwork since they stopped employing Larry Elmore, Jeff Easley, Clyde Caldwell, and, to a lesser extent, the late Keith Parkinson. The art was phenomenal, back in those days. Since then, the art has been forgettable, at best. If I bought FR products based on artwork, I'd've not picked up anything new for over 10 years.

Me either. Hells, I just grabbed the Complete Rangers Handbook for my email game for some additional info and the first few pictures made me go, "Man, I miss 2e's art. I could look at these pictures and actually think of scenes on how they would fit in a D&D world." 3/3.5E art doesn't inspire me that way and I can't recall any 1 picture in the current sourcebooks that I can really recall that has held my interest.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 02 Jun 2006 23:45:15
Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2006 :  22:32:21  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That Keith Parkinson painting with the Ice Dragon and Dwarves kicks ass on so many levels.

I've noticed that while the artwork in the 3e books is not worse than the Eberron artwork, Eberron seemed to have found an atmosphere that carries through the different pieces throughout all the books. To me it seems that the art in FR books just seems sort of hodge podge. They treat FR as if it was core and use generic themes, colors, subjects.
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2006 :  22:56:53  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje
... I can't recall any 1 picture in the current sourcebook that I can really recall that has held my interest.

What about the Mysteries of the Moonsea cover?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2006 :  23:46:44  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snotlord

quote:
... I can't recall any 1 picture in the current sourcebook that I can really recall that has held my interest.

What about the Mysteries of the Moonsea cover?

Seems to be the same as most 3/3.5e FR covers.... So, it doesn't inspire me and it's not that memorial to me.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2006 :  00:31:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I can't recall any 1 picture in the current sourcebooks that I can really recall that has held my interest.

There's been a couple of nice pics, but only a couple...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2006 :  01:23:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I can't recall any 1 picture in the current sourcebooks that I can really recall that has held my interest.

There's been a couple of nice pics, but only a couple...

Shining South is probably one of the few 3e covers that I actually have any interest for.

But getting back to what you said earlier... yes, I've largely forgotten most of the imagery for 3e FR books. Not at all like those from 2e where I can almost always immediately recall a favorite piece of artwork or particular image included in an 2e FR tome.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2006 :  17:37:42  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is humorous to me is... we will all most likely still go out and purchase these sourcbooks regardless. In my opinion, from a marketing standpoint, most of these FR sourcebooks are being purchased by regular FR fans anyways. I do not see someone who has never played D&D saying hey, I am going to start playing this game, just because they saw dragons of faerun. We Avid FR fans are buying content at this point, not cover art. I would think that more funds would go into introductory or core material first, to hook the buyer. Anyways my 2 coppers, and I too miss the older artwork by Elmore, Easley, Caldwell, etc...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2006 :  20:22:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

What is humorous to me is... we will all most likely still go out and purchase these sourcbooks regardless. In my opinion, from a marketing standpoint, most of these FR sourcebooks are being purchased by regular FR fans anyways. I do not see someone who has never played D&D saying hey, I am going to start playing this game, just because they saw dragons of faerun. We Avid FR fans are buying content at this point, not cover art. I would think that more funds would go into introductory or core material first, to hook the buyer. Anyways my 2 coppers, and I too miss the older artwork by Elmore, Easley, Caldwell, etc...

Oh, yeah, I'll still go out and buy the books, anyway... But the artwork doesn't do a thing for me, and does not factor at all into the equation. I don't even bother to look at the image galleries when they post them online, because I know it will be a waste of my time.

I'd be just as happy with a plain cover, and no internal artwork. That way, they're not wasting the money on crappy art, nor are they wasting valuable page space on something that doesn't contribute to the book.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 03 Jun 2006 22:37:35
Go to Top of Page

Brenigin
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
117 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  01:19:42  Show Profile  Visit Brenigin's Homepage Send Brenigin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I laugh whenever this debate crops up. Everyone has their own view, and are never going to be argued round. Personally, I'm a big fan of the 3E art, despite picking up the Old Gray Box when it first came out. I do like many of the old covers, but most 1E/2E products had fair to middling interior art at best, rubbish at worst.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  01:49:41  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For what its worth, the Realms artist I miss the most is still Valerie Valusek.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  02:11:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd be just as happy with a plain cover, and no internal artwork. That way, they're not wasting the money on crappy art, nor are they wasting valuable page space on something that doesn't contribute to the book.
I disagree a little with that.

Some of the more recent internal artwork has been rather intriguing actually... and while not always consistent with an actual lore description of a place, person or object... the internal artwork images themselves can provide useful roleplaying aids -- provided they're accurate .

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  03:27:38  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I disagree a little with that.

Some of the more recent internal artwork has been rather intriguing actually... and while not always consistent with an actual lore description of a place, person or object... the internal artwork images themselves can provide useful roleplaying aids -- provided they're accurate .

I was thinking along the same lines as the both of you. While I would not mind having a "bare" cover, something along the lines of FRCS, I would however like to see intriguing interior artwork.

I would only like to see this if it pertained to what was being discussed and was used with some care, as to page content and the overall layout of the sourcebook.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  07:02:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't get me wrong -- if the internal artwork was good, then by all means, let's have it. But most of the internal artwork hasn't been all that, and in some cases, the artwork doesn't at all match the description. That irks me. I'd rather have no art than bad art or art that didn't match the description.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  07:05:15  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Don't get me wrong -- if the internal artwork was good, then by all means, let's have it. But most of the internal artwork hasn't been all that, and in some cases, the artwork doesn't at all match the description. That irks me. I'd rather have no art than bad art or art that didn't match the description.

What really irks me is WOTC changing the text to match the artwork..... But I'm sure no one wants to hear my rant about that drow skin tones again. :)

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  12:43:22  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think some of the 3\3.5 cover art is excellent! Mysteries of the Moonsea is one of the best i've seen and I find Dragons of Faerun quite good quality.

Times change and although I'm a HUGE fan of Easley, Elmore and authors of that period, they just wouldn't fit well with todays products. They certainly have an 80's feel for me and the female depictions are quite cringworthy looking at them now

I'm sure i've mentioned this before, but Tood Lockwood has done wonders for WotC's product line. Nobody can deny that his artwork isn't of outstanding quality!

But anyway, I guess this is all quite offtopic for Dragons of Faerun discussions

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  16:04:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

What really irks me is WOTC changing the text to match the artwork.....
I think that's the most irritating aspect of internal artwork in FR tomes. As I said before... I'm happy with the artwork... so long as it's accurate according to the lore.

If it came down to a decision about having constant inaccurate visual images included in FR tomes, or none at all... I'd chose none at all. The written physical description details for places, people or objects would be sufficient in that case.

quote:
But I'm sure no one wants to hear my rant about that drow skin tones again. :)
It almost seems that Underdark is remembered more for that reason that its actual lore content.

Fortunately Rich set us straight on the issue .

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  18:03:06  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

It almost seems that Underdark is remembered more for that reason that its actual lore content.

Fortunately Rich set us straight on the issue .

This is so true for me, plus, as usual, I liked 2e's underdark book better....

And I agree with the first part that I didn't quote, I'd rather have artwork that matches the lore and if that isn't possible then none at all.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2006 :  01:39:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This is so true for me, plus, as usual, I liked 2e's underdark book better....
I won't disagree with that, as you know...

-- Speaking of artwork for FR tomes... does anyone know who some of the principle artists working on artwork for DoF are?

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2006 :  02:36:58  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will there be any Regional maps in DoF? if so where?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2006 :  07:38:52  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, not sure we're allowed to give out that sort of info yet. Perhaps once the table of contents is available.

quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Will there be any Regional maps in DoF? if so where?

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 08 Jun 2006 07:39:09
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  02:02:18  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We'll Dragons of Faerun is the next FR source book to be released now that MoM is out

I have a question

Will Dragons of Faerun introduce Dragonspawn into the Forgotten Realms?

*Im hoping the answer is no as I really dont like the concept and as such Im not that keen on buying Monster Manual IV which is rumoured to have 15-25 Dragonspawn entries out at 100 creatures in the whole book

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Swordsage
Learned Scribe

149 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  02:52:16  Show Profile  Visit Swordsage's Homepage Send Swordsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it might depend on how the concept is introduced in the Forgotten Realms. The important thing is for it to fit the setting and previous products.

The Swordsage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  03:01:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I personally like the dragonspawn concept, and if it was kept small-scale and well-explained, I'd like seeing that particular critter translated to FR terms.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  03:12:41  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm betting that it is at least somewhat introduced. After all, Red Hand of Doom was a "psuedo" Realms adventure . . .
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  04:34:24  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I personally like the dragonspawn concept, and if it was kept small-scale and well-explained, I'd like seeing that particular critter translated to FR terms.

I think there an unecessary waste of time

The Dragonspawn dont do anything that cant be done with a the Half Dragon Template or any of the other dragon related Templates

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  06:25:52  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't answer that at the moment as there hasn't yet been a true preview for the content of the book. You'll just have to wait and see in the previews in July.

quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

We'll Dragons of Faerun is the next FR source book to be released now that MoM is out

I have a question

Will Dragons of Faerun introduce Dragonspawn into the Forgotten Realms?

*Im hoping the answer is no as I really dont like the concept and as such Im not that keen on buying Monster Manual IV which is rumoured to have 15-25 Dragonspawn entries out at 100 creatures in the whole book

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  10:00:38  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mmmmmmmmmhhhh, somehow I am very sceptical that this product will bing us anything new (besides some artwork maybe...)

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000