Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Dragons of Faerun
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2006 :  00:54:21  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Will Dragons of Faerun provide Draconomicon style infomation on the Faerun specfic Dragons? (Such as Fang, Brown etc) also any chance we theres a suggested names side bar for the different breeds of Dragons? (ie like the suggested names in the FRC for Illuskans, Chondanthans, Moon Elves etc)

There are plenty of name suggestions, although perhaps not in the form you are expecting.

Dragons of Faerun is NOT "Draconimocon in the Realms". The focus is on dragons and their interactions with the rest of the Realms.

No more hints until we get closer.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2006 :  02:05:53  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, as long as it deals with A)Dragons that are B)in Faerun, I've got enough of a motivation to pick up the book.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2006 :  03:08:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

No more hints until we get closer.

--Eric

We've gotten just a little closer since you said that...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2006 :  05:02:36  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Well, as long as it deals with A)Dragons that are B)in Faerun, I've got enough of a motivation to pick up the book.

If there is one thing we can guarantee, it is that it does indeed deal with Dragons and that these dragons are in Faerun. Anything more and well, we wouldn't want to get eaten by the NDA Dragon.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Paj
Seeker

United Kingdom
56 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2006 :  12:50:28  Show Profile  Visit Paj's Homepage Send Paj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wonder what the CR is for an NDA Dragon....

I have a party of Dragon-slayers just looking for an excuse to kill something
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2006 :  00:29:12  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paj

Wonder what the CR is for an NDA Dragon....

I have a party of Dragon-slayers just looking for an excuse to kill something

As Gandalf says, "This foe is beyond any of you. Run!"

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 11 May 2006 06:38:52
Go to Top of Page

Inquisitor
Acolyte

Germany
42 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2006 :  10:44:41  Show Profile  Visit Inquisitor's Homepage Send Inquisitor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by msatran

Well, I can tell you guys one thing I want to see in the book, as absurd as it sounds and as niche-cheesy as it is.

I'd like to see a really powerful Avariel Only prestige class that helps the race battle dragons. On top of the evil and unjustifiable +3 level adjustment for the race, especially when compared to the Fey'ri, somehow this race beat back thousands of dragons over the centuries in Sossal. Now, no offense, but with Elf CON and a +3 level adjustment, they ought to have developed some really buff dragonbattling techniques that are unique to their race.

Thank you for listening.

Do you really expect that the crunch will make sense compared to the fluff? Don't bet on it. There are so many things in FR history which make no sense or would have been impossible to do with the current game rules. There is no use to try to fix it now.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2006 :  00:19:32  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I imgaine we'll get our first look at Dragons of Faerun on 2nd of June when June and Beyond goes up on Wizards website

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2006 :  01:19:30  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Inquisitor
Do you really expect that the crunch will make sense compared to the fluff? Don't bet on it. There are so many things in FR history which make no sense or would have been impossible to do with the current game rules. There is no use to try to fix it now.

There are people, like Eric, and Tom Costa and George Krashos are others who spring to mind, who really do try and keep things consistent, whether it's issues of lore or of game mechanics. So yes, I do think it is worth trying to fix it.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2006 :  01:29:42  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

quote:

There are people, like Eric, and Tom Costa and George Krashos are others who spring to mind, who really do try and keep things consistent, whether it's issues of lore or of game mechanics. So yes, I do think it is worth trying to fix it.

While I can't speak about specific crunch, I can say that we definitely tried to be as consistent as possible when writing both crunchy material and fluff/lore. I can't imagine that any designer (or author) goes in to their work purposefully hoping to disrupt (or disregard) continuity and flow. Sometimes, with all of the people working on projects at different times - writers, designers, editors, etc.. - continuity errors do crop up. I'll always try to help smooth them along when I see them and I'm sure Eric, Ed, and everyone else does the same.

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 20 May 2006 09:48:40
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2006 :  07:03:44  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'll have to respectfully disagree with this, completely.

There's little or nothing the current game rules can't model.

If the designers take their time about it and the editors do their job, then yes I think we could see all kinds of Realms-Specific effects in game terms.

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

Monsoon28
Acolyte

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2006 :  03:13:51  Show Profile  Visit Monsoon28's Homepage Send Monsoon28 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heya Eric any chance we can see the cover image for this book yet?

Will Gem Dragon interaction with the Realms be covered?

Thanks in advance! :D

'The only thing I know is that I know nothing' -Socrates
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2006 :  08:16:56  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heck, yeah. I also hope to see gem dragons get some love. They are much ignored most everywhere else. Although, Ed's Dragons of the North articles did feature several gem dragons, so the gem dragons do seem to have a long-standing and respected place in the Realms.

I would love it though if a mention of Sardior got snuck into Dragons of Faerűn somewhere. I have always wanted to see more of him since I first read that article way back in Dragon #37, and in all this time they have never really fleshed him out any further. (I did though really like what they did not to long ago on the WotC website with Sardior).

This is a book I eagerly await because I now have 3 different recurring dragon villains in my campaign, and a couple of long-term dragon-themed plots brewing in the background that I hope to bring up to boil around the time that DoF comes out. This book cannot come out fast enough for me!
Go to Top of Page

Inquisitor
Acolyte

Germany
42 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2006 :  21:22:25  Show Profile  Visit Inquisitor's Homepage Send Inquisitor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you really want that the history makes sense then nearly every race needs to have powerfull anti dragon PRCs because the dragons now are much more powerfull then in 1st edition and the whole history of elves defeating dragons makes absolutly no sense considering that dragons are much stronger then elves and reproduce 5-10 times faster even with the accelerated elven life cycle in the races of the wild.

Of course if you do that then game balance goes out of the window.

Edited by - Inquisitor on 22 May 2006 21:33:05
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2006 :  23:44:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If you really want that the history makes sense then nearly every race needs to have powerfull anti dragon PRCs because the dragons now are much more powerfull then in 1st edition and the whole history of elves defeating dragons makes absolutly no sense considering that dragons are much stronger then elves and reproduce 5-10 times faster even with the accelerated elven life cycle in the races of the wild.

It does make sense... Dragons may reproduce faster, but there has always been a greater number of elves. Any given parcel of land will support far more elves than it will dragons...

Plus, elves are more social, and thus more apt to reproduce. It doesn't matter how many eggs you can lay in a clutch if you never take a mate...

Lastly, while dragons are certainly more powerful physically, elves (and other races) are capable of wielding greater magic that most dragons. As far as magic goes, most dragons are dabblers. Pick up a spell here, learn a spell there... Only a dragon that specifically chose to become a wizard would be able to go toe-to-claw with a powerful human or demihuman spellslinger. Magic may flow in the blood of dragonkind, but few of them actually nurture it.

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2006 :  05:00:16  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Monsoon28

I wish it was available. We'll try to get it here as soon as it is.

Go to Top of Page

Inquisitor
Acolyte

Germany
42 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2006 :  06:15:44  Show Profile  Visit Inquisitor's Homepage Send Inquisitor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

It does make sense... Dragons may reproduce faster, but there has always been a greater number of elves. Any given parcel of land will support far more elves than it will dragons...

Plus, elves are more social, and thus more apt to reproduce. It doesn't matter how many eggs you can lay in a clutch if you never take a mate...

Lastly, while dragons are certainly more powerful physically, elves (and other races) are capable of wielding greater magic that most dragons. As far as magic goes, most dragons are dabblers. Pick up a spell here, learn a spell there... Only a dragon that specifically chose to become a wizard would be able to go toe-to-claw with a powerful human or demihuman spellslinger. Magic may flow in the blood of dragonkind, but few of them actually nurture it.

That there are more elves is an arbitrary decision of the designers without any logical support. According to the psychology of dragons mating is a high priority at least at young age. Also as dragons don't need real food but can consume inorganic material food is not an issue.
Also don't forget that dragons lay more eggs in once clutch then the number of children normal elves have in a lifetime. Even if dragons mate rarely they still outreproduce elves.

And you are joking about the magic part right? Yes, most dragons don't activly purse magic so they only become as powerfull as archmages at very old age. Most elves on the other hand can't cast spells at all.
So, who has the advantage here? The race with a few very powerfull mages and the rest can't cast spells at all or the race with a few very powerfull mages and the rest are only normal powerfull mages?

The only real advantages D&D elves have are that they are a PHB race and thus have to be profilic so that players can play them and a unusual level of game designer love. But try to explain that in game.

Those dragons who activly purse magic are more then a match for the elven spellcasters, except in novels where those spellcasters are not allowed to die and always win.

Edited by - Inquisitor on 23 May 2006 06:22:46
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2006 :  06:17:01  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, maybe elves and humans are a threat to dragons, and maybe they should all have their own specialized dragon slayer traditions, but I have noticed that in the Realms, the greatest threat to dragons (other than adventurers looking for loot) is other dragons.

If you read Ed's Dragons of the North articles, a surprising number of dragons get killed by rival wyrms. Klauth in particular seems responsible for helping to keep the dragon population down.

It only makes sense that predators need a certain amount of territory in which to forage and dragons being at the top of the food chain need proportionately vast territories in which to hunt.

Plus, when dragons have underlings, like kobold tribes or other minions, the territory has to provide for them too.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2006 :  06:18:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, guys, let's not get into a lore/theory fight in a product scroll. Please take it somewhere else.

Edited by - Arivia on 23 May 2006 06:18:21
Go to Top of Page

Monsoon28
Acolyte

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2006 :  13:36:19  Show Profile  Visit Monsoon28's Homepage Send Monsoon28 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

quote:
Originally posted by Monsoon28

I wish it was available. We'll try to get it here as soon as it is.

Cool, I can't wait thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Lord Nemes
Seeker

Canada
58 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2006 :  03:23:13  Show Profile  Visit Lord Nemes's Homepage Send Lord Nemes a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is the cover
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/fracc/953797200

Lord Nemes
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2006 :  04:05:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And once more, I find the cover art to be something quite forgettable.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2006 :  05:07:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed.

Maybe not so much concentration on "Dragon's Fire" as such...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2006 :  05:15:42  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if they display the book with the front out it'll at least stand out

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2006 :  05:34:49  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad to finally see it. I quite like the cover. What better image is there than an enormous red dragon (this image being an homage to classic D&D art) than an enormous red dragon immolating people.

Go to Top of Page

Monsoon28
Acolyte

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2006 :  10:15:21  Show Profile  Visit Monsoon28's Homepage Send Monsoon28 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not a bad image, as you say Eytan this definitely looks like a homage to 80's cover art. I'd have preferred a homage to the classic Dragon vs. Dragon image however. At the same time maybe a homage to Keith Parkinson, something like this http://www.montecook.com/images/Dragon146_Cover.jpg or http://step.polymtl.ca/~coyote/picturesd/dragnlnc/lance01.jpg or even this http://www.keithparkinson.com/art/kpwitchs.jpg

...so how about the art on the back cover?

....or if they really want to do an image of Dragon and looters there is always this classic to draw inpiration from: http://www.keithparkinson.com/art/kpicedra.jpg

Edited by - Monsoon28 on 01 Jun 2006 10:29:06
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2006 :  11:03:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If they wanted to do 80's cover art, they should have called Larry Elmore. No one does dragons as well as he does.

Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2006 :  00:57:52  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not the best I've seen, but it's not too bad.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Swordsage
Learned Scribe

149 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2006 :  04:48:01  Show Profile  Visit Swordsage's Homepage Send Swordsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who cares about the picture. It's the contents that count.

The Swordsage
Go to Top of Page

Chyron
Learned Scribe

Hong Kong
279 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2006 :  06:46:40  Show Profile  Visit Chyron's Homepage Send Chyron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I respect your opinion Swordsage, but have to really disagree with your point. That is like saying that in a movie only the image matters and sound quality does not. Artwork has long served as a hook for novels and gaming products. In younger days of D&D art quality was not huge concern...core books (1e) were nearly 70% cheaper then too. So while you are correct in your statement that "It's the contents that count", artwork (both exterior and interior) is as much a 'part' of that content as the paper it is printed on, the font used, and the actual words themselves. Some might be willing to pay $20-$40 US for a manuscript that has no cover art, no interior art, and is simply a printed bound manuscript? But I don't think they are in the majority.

As for the new look of recent texts in 3E, i cannot say that anything has 'knocked my socks off' like in the old days....and I honestly think there has been a higher standard of 'artwork' quality for the Eberron products of late.(*raises shield to block incoming stones) I just wish that the same level of detail was being given to our beloved realms.

Just My Thoughts
Chyron :)

Edited by - Chyron on 02 Jun 2006 07:47:27
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000