Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Dragons of Faerun
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  16:01:24  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can remember before Power of Faerun came out a lot of people assuming that its just going to have a bunch of High Level options for characters, and that they wouldn't be interested in it. As it turns out, the book has a TON of useful lore. I know I learned my lesson, and I will eagarly await this book, especially with the prospect of learning more about what happened around Faerun outside of what happened during the Year of Rogue Dragons story.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  16:27:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I can remember before Power of Faerun came out a lot of people assuming that its just going to have a bunch of High Level options for characters, and that they wouldn't be interested in it. As it turns out, the book has a TON of useful lore.
You're not referring to anyone here in particular are you KEJR?

-- Yes, I had grave reservations about the "suspected" content of PoF before its release. In fact, it briefly occupied a rare position in my selection process... that being the first FR tome I would decide not to pre-order or purchase the instant it was released.

Thanks to Ed and THO... I learned more about the "actual" content of PoF (yay for the Border Kingdoms! ) and was immediately shifted back toward purchasing it the instant it was released (and quietly pushing those once inappropriate thoughts about not buying it... off to the side).

I'll not make that mistake again... and while I have yet to hear a whole lot about DoF (so far -- though those changes to weredragon lore [with the whole weredragons->song dragons shift] Eric outlined a while back disappointed me a little)... I'm willing to entertain the notion that what we haven't heard about its content yet... will prove intriguing.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  16:42:00  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No Sage, wasn't thinking about you at all. Actually, to be completely honest, I was a bit confused myself, since the topic didn't seem that great, but with Eric Boyd and Ed working on the project, I couldn't see it as just an Epic Level Handbook for the Realms. Turned out great with tons of stuff for all levels.

I think that it has also been hinted that Dragons of Faerun will show some of the events of the Rage that occured outside of the Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy. I don't know if this will be a major part of the book, but it will be interesting to see. I am intruiged to know if anyone noticed that dragons seemed to avoid Waterdeep or Cormyr, and I wonder if there will be anything expounding on what Ed and THO have said in his thread that Cormyr's ancient wards put a damper on the effects of the Rage around the Forest Country.
Go to Top of Page

eldritchknight
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2006 :  06:12:29  Show Profile  Visit eldritchknight's Homepage Send eldritchknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When is DoF coming out?
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2006 :  06:22:45  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eldritchknight

When is DoF coming out?

August 8th. As for the contents, while I can't really be specific, I can say that the book does cover both the Year of Rogue Dragons and dragon related information for FR in general. Also, it is neither all crunch nor all fluff.

There should be more details on what is covered in the July previews, but we can't really give any details until we've seen the finished product ourselves. As the WOTC website mentioned, the books tend to go to print a couple of months before they are releases. For this reason, the designers have to wait to provide any concrete information until the final product (with all the editing, art, layout, and changes) is available for us to see.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

FireKnife
Acolyte

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2006 :  17:14:14  Show Profile  Visit FireKnife's Homepage Send FireKnife a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will this book be layed out like MoM? I enjoyed MoM and though it could have been filled with a little more lore and less adventure. I am hoping this book is like SK or LeoF
Go to Top of Page

msatran
Learned Scribe

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2006 :  20:40:10  Show Profile  Visit msatran's Homepage Send msatran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the Power of Faerun layout is probably the best, with the exception of a separate section for PRCs. I like a high fluff content and a low crunch content, because, and I know you've heard me rant about this several times, we can build this stuff ourselves.

If it's just a big list of dragons, I'll be real disappointed. What I'd really like to see is a big section on Dragon Culture, how the dragons interact with each other, how their politics actually work and a layout of what DRAGONS think the boundaries of the world look like. We know the Moruemes have a territorial base, but what about the rest of the "Draconic World?" Why bother with a human perspective when we all know exactly what that looks like?
Go to Top of Page

Chyron
Learned Scribe

Hong Kong
279 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2006 :  01:59:02  Show Profile  Visit Chyron's Homepage Send Chyron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am glad to see that there will be coverage of Year of Rogue Dragons. That in and of itself bumps it up a few notches on the priority list...

Having just finished Elminster's Daughter I wonder if it will talk about Vangerdahast's conversion or spell research at all since these are also fairly significant 'dragon related' events.

Just My Thoughts
Chyron :)

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2006 :  22:16:02  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish I knew. I haven't seen the final version yet.

As to the question of whether or not it is just a big list of existing dragons - it's not. I really think it's a little bit of everything, actually, and that fans of crunch and fans of fluff will both be happy.

quote:
Originally posted by FireKnife

Will this book be layed out like MoM? I enjoyed MoM and though it could have been filled with a little more lore and less adventure. I am hoping this book is like SK or LeoF

Go to Top of Page

BobROE
Learned Scribe

Canada
106 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2006 :  22:50:10  Show Profile  Visit BobROE's Homepage Send BobROE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

I wish I knew. I haven't seen the final version yet.

As to the question of whether or not it is just a big list of existing dragons - it's not. I really think it's a little bit of everything, actually, and that fans of crunch and fans of fluff will both be happy.

But what about the fans of Fluffy Crunch? Or Crunchy Fluff?
Go to Top of Page

msatran
Learned Scribe

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2006 :  03:40:33  Show Profile  Visit msatran's Homepage Send msatran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's my contention that if you really love the Realms, you shouldn't care about Crunch at all. The Realms is about Roleplaying, not Rolling-playing. Any Shlomo can make a statblock. But it's better to be a Shena Boychik who plays the theme than a shlmazzel whose only goal is to calculate things into infinite cheese and destroy it.
Go to Top of Page

Torkwaret
Seeker

Poland
82 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2006 :  07:25:34  Show Profile Send Torkwaret a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...I was wondering...will we find anything about a certain Sammaster in the book ??

...Mene Mene Tekel Upharsin...
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2006 :  07:28:19  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by msatran

It's my contention that if you really love the Realms, you shouldn't care about Crunch at all. The Realms is about Roleplaying, not Rolling-playing.

I would be interested to get your ideas in my FR without D&D thread...
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2006 :  09:53:51  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Torkwaret

Hmmm...I was wondering...will we find anything about a certain Sammaster in the book ??

That would be great! His stats for example! Would save me hours of work creating them my own....... and I would servilely withdraw my previous comment, of course.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 23 Jun 2006 09:59:12
Go to Top of Page

jameslt0
Seeker

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2006 :  12:17:07  Show Profile  Visit jameslt0's Homepage Send jameslt0 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sammaster has stats in one of the Dragon magazine's I believe. Also has the stats for Dorn and Kira.

James
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2006 :  17:54:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jameslt0

Sammaster has stats in one of the Dragon magazine's I believe. Also has the stats for Dorn and Kira.

James

I could be mistaken, but I don't believe he has been statted up in 3E, at least not officially. You could check warlockco's NPCs of the Realms thread and see if he's done stats for him, or go to the Wizards forum and check out Green Giant's converted NPCs.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2006 :  20:12:19  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you wooly for the hints.

Unfortunatelly I checked on warlockco's thread already - no stats as of yet (I put down my request though... )

I am of to the second link right now.........

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2006 :  21:58:40  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
<----- Making note to consider using more Yiddish in my realmslore.

quote:

It's my contention that if you really love the Realms, you shouldn't care about Crunch at all. The Realms is about Roleplaying, not Rolling-playing. Any Shlomo can make a statblock. But it's better to be a Shena Boychik who plays the theme than a shlmazzel whose only goal is to calculate things into infinite cheese and destroy it.

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 23 Jun 2006 21:58:53
Go to Top of Page

Swordsage
Learned Scribe

149 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2006 :  01:09:37  Show Profile  Visit Swordsage's Homepage Send Swordsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sammaster (all three versions of him as he developed in magecraft and became Chosen) is given 2E stats in the "Cult of the Dragon" sourcebook. His 3E stats have never been released.

The Swordsage
Go to Top of Page

FireKnife
Acolyte

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2006 :  01:47:51  Show Profile  Visit FireKnife's Homepage Send FireKnife a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is this book going to differ from MoM or will it be close to SK and LEoF. Lore on the old dragons, dracolich and other dragon races would be great. Is there any prestige classes? Hopefully a 3.5 version of Wearer of Purple. A few write ups would be cool like Sammaster and his Bane cleric/wizard friend.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2006 :  23:31:19  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ah, you should tell that to all the evil NPCs, for example, the Zhentarim - they care about the crunch, a lot!

Seriously, while I agree that I much prefer roleplaying to "roll-playing", I still get a kick out of a good critical hit every time it happens, and enjoy the rush of combat and spellhurling. Sometimes, we don't roll a single die in a gaming session (maybe a Diplomacy check, with bonuses or minuses from roleplaying). On the other hand, sometimes a single combat encounter might last a whole session.

msatran, I agree with SRK about what he said of gaming styles - no one can claim to "play the game the RIGHT way", or claim to "love the setting more than those other bozos". That is called 'elitism'. There are probably as many variations of gaming styles as there are gamers, with slight changes in details. Do you love the game and the setting? Then your way is as good as anyone else's, whether you prefer crunch to fluff or Eberron to FR (or vice versa).

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  04:31:25  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While working on this book, it was my hope to be able to provide material that would be of interest too crunch people and fluff people, but also everyone in between. Once the June previews come out (just another day or two), I'll be able to go into the content further (though this does depend on what Matt puts in the previews).

quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

quote:

Ah, you should tell that to all the evil NPCs, for example, the Zhentarim - they care about the crunch, a lot!

Seriously, while I agree that I much prefer roleplaying to "roll-playing", I still get a kick out of a good critical hit every time it happens, and enjoy the rush of combat and spellhurling. Sometimes, we don't roll a single die in a gaming session (maybe a Diplomacy check, with bonuses or minuses from roleplaying). On the other hand, sometimes a single combat encounter might last a whole session.

msatran, I agree with SRK about what he said of gaming styles - no one can claim to "play the game the RIGHT way", or claim to "love the setting more than those other bozos". That is called 'elitism'. There are probably as many variations of gaming styles as there are gamers, with slight changes in details. Do you love the game and the setting? Then your way is as good as anyone else's, whether you prefer crunch to fluff or Eberron to FR (or vice versa).

Go to Top of Page

Arkhaedun
Senior Scribe

869 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  16:30:03  Show Profile  Visit Arkhaedun's Homepage Send Arkhaedun a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to hearing more about it Eytan . . . since you mentioned it I have been checking on the WOTC sites to see if they have the July previews up yet . . .
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  20:34:58  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So have I :)

quote:
Originally posted by Arkhaedun

Looking forward to hearing more about it Eytan . . . since you mentioned it I have been checking on the WOTC sites to see if they have the July previews up yet . . .

Go to Top of Page

Sammael
Acolyte

27 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  23:43:03  Show Profile  Visit Sammael's Homepage Send Sammael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

(Seven) Heavens forbid that one should actually enjoy Realms as a game which includes both role-playing (lots of it!) and the actual game mechanics...

Seriosuly, all those who want to run FR as amateur improvisation theater are free to do so. But keep in mind that most people run FR as a game, and games have rules. Sure, there may be too many rules for your liking, but bear in mind that there are people out there who like to have all game rules quantified as much as possible. Also keep in mind that there are people who enjoy gaming who are withdrawn, introverted, and have no talent at acting out. Should they be prevented from playing in the game?

Both lore and rules mechanics are an important part of the FR game. Ideally, the rules should support the setting. Again, I think that they mostly do, but I prefer the setting as it is right now to what I know of Greenwood's original setting. After all, without the influences of various other authors, the setting likely wouldn't have been as diverse as it is right now (no matter how creative one person is, a dozen creative people will always be more creative than him alone). And diversity is good, because it helps accomodate the multitude of play styles and setting preferences.

Edited by - Sammael on 30 Jun 2006 23:43:48
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2006 :  07:24:56  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check out the preview! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20060706a The Nartheling link is incorrect, sending you to the Redspawn Firebelcher for the moment. When I saw the link, I nearly had a heart attack, thinking that one of the new creatures somehow morphed into a Redspawn Firebelcher.

Go to Top of Page

Chyron
Learned Scribe

Hong Kong
279 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2006 :  08:09:24  Show Profile  Visit Chyron's Homepage Send Chyron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In anticipation of the coming Dragons of Faerun, I began thinking more about the recently finished Year of Rouge Dragons trilogy.

*Novel*
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

It occurs to me, that now that the intervention of Sammaster has been halted, and now that the chromatics know the location of the Mythal behind the Rage, would they not take steps to dismantle or undo the Mythal permanently. And does this lead to the possibility that a new Age of Dragons could emerge in the far future (as their numbers swell)?

Any thoughts?

Just My Thoughts
Chyron :)

Go to Top of Page

Brenigin
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
117 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2006 :  10:05:35  Show Profile  Visit Brenigin's Homepage Send Brenigin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the proper link for Nartheling: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20060706b&page=2
Go to Top of Page

Swordsage
Learned Scribe

149 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2006 :  10:37:47  Show Profile  Visit Swordsage's Homepage Send Swordsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well in the novel {highlight to read) Sammaster's phylactery and the capstone for the mythal seem to have been made one and the same. So logically, if Sammaster's phylactery is dust, then so is the capstone of the mythal and hence the Rage mythal is no longer functioning. I think. Well, those are my thought at least.

This beige text was brought to you courtesy of Winterfox. She who hates spoilers so.

The Swordsage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2006 :  16:12:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chyron

And does this lead to the possibility that a new Age of Dragons could emerge in the far future (as their numbers swell)?

Any thoughts?

I don't think their numbers will swell sufficiently for thousands of years -- and, at the same time, the number of humans and demihumans will swell. The two sides will keep each other in a sort of balance, at best; at worst, the dragons would eventually get brought down by sheer weight of numbers.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000