Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Ghostwalker: Chapters 4 - 7
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  22:55:32  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Ghostwalker, book 2 of the Fighters series, by Erik Scott de Bie. Please discuss chapters 4-7 herein:

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Malarick
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2005 :  06:49:24  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeing as I could not get on the forums for a while this one is going to be a data blast:-

Chapter 4

I see now where the title 'Wayfarer' comes from.

I was wondering from earlier in the book how you could have a character and refer to him as Greyt, but not call his son the same. Now knowing that Meris is Wayfarer, and him being an illegitimate son makes sense.

I was quite appalled at his behaviour to Arya and the other knights. I am surprised that it did not break out into more of a confrontation than it did, especially after what happened at the Whistling Stag earlier.

Chapter 5

I was intrigued by the introduction of The Ghostly Lady, Gylther'yel. I am wondering if she too is a ghostwalker, as Walker mentions that she taught him everything.

I thought the time Walker spent in the glade, viewing the Ethereal again was marvelous. To see all these people of different races that have died around the area. His father, Tarm, is also a nice addition to this part of the book - and I like how he guides Walker later on.

I was curious at this point how he noticed this young boy, that was somehow familiar.

Erik - you are doing a great job so far at setting up this mysterious character.

I am also wondering about the mission of Arya and the Silver Knights.

Chapter 6

Erik did indeed promise a more drawn out combat, and he delivered with the fight between Torlic and Walker. You really got the feeling that Torlic was a master swordsman, at the height of his craft. And the unsettling thing is, how calm Walker is in these combat situations. I guess when you have faced death before it cannot scare you again!

Chapter 7

Erik you seem to like your elves. The many layers of this book keep on unfolding, with the introduction of the moon elf, Talathiel. I was intrigued about the amulet that Greyt uses to hold control over him, and would like to know more about that and hope it is revealed later.

We also find out that Gylther'yel is a sun elf. Really enjoyed scene of her trying to protect her wood, and Walker standing up for the guys from the watch. Gylther'yel seems a bit unstable though, she does take things very seriously. I wonder how many innocent people she has killed, just because she thinks that all people are the enemy?

Will any of these elves be the centre of your short in the upcoming Realms of Elves anthology?

I was really surprised that Bars held himself in check with Greyt, I really thought he was going to get that mace swirling ;-)

Malarick
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2005 :  23:12:50  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Yes, Walker's calm -- one of the hallmarks of a ghostwalker is a resolute aura. Just completely unflappable, completely confident, completely determined.

I do like my elves. As a gamer, I find myself drawn to elves, humans, and half-elves, mostly because I'm so tall and have difficulty relating to the wee folk.

Gylther'yel and Talthaliel are NOT featured in my RoE novella.

I'm glad you liked the tension in the confrontation with Greyt. He, as a bard, is VERY good at pushing people's buttons. . . as you will see again later.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2005 :  23:38:32  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some great tension here between Arya and Greyt when they first meet up. I could imagine being there and cutting the atmosphere with a knife

Another nice snippet regarding the weather again - when Meris leaves the house and steps into the sun.... only the sun isn't shining as it's obscured by the clouds as the rain and lightning break out. Just incase we didn't know this was a dark book, it's confirmed here

It's all very eerie how Walker keeps calmly walking around and disappearing too.

Well here go Bars and Derst again. Their banter sure makes me laugh. Erik, did you purposely include these two for a comedy element to lighten the mood, or did it just fall into place? Great stuff. One other character which springs to mind like this is Torm (not the deity) from Ed Greenwood fame.

I liked how Derst took on a serious role when Meris was disrespecting Arya when they bumped into each other at the entrance to the townhouse.

Erik, we see Torlic fencing in this section of the book. Is it right that you're a fencer too? Is this like a wink to your hobby of fencing? Did you find that fencing helped you write some of the combat scenes for the book.
(this is all irrelevant of course, if you don't fence and i've got you mistaken for someone else I know that a couple of other FR authors do fencing).

Again, that eerie dialog flashback happens here, where Torlic says "Dance with me, boy" to Walker.

Great stuff!

Edited by - Lord Rad on 08 Dec 2005 21:53:35
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2005 :  00:08:37  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

Another nice snippet regarding the weather again - when Meris leaves the house and steps into the sun.... only the sun isn't shining as it's obscured by the clouds as the rain and lightning break out. Just incase we didn't know this was a dark book, it's confirmed here

Well caught. ;)

quote:
It's all very eerie how Walker keeps calmly walking around and disappearing too.

The keys to stealth are 1) calm, 2) resolve, and 3) patience. Agility is secondary.

It also helps to be able to walk through walls. ;)

quote:
Well here go Bars and Derst again. Their banter sure makes me laugh. Erik, did you purposely include these two for a comedy element to lighten the mood, or did it just fall into place? Great stuff. One other character which springs to mind like this is Torm (not the deity) from Ed Greenwood fame.

They do comic relief well, but that's not all they're there for. I'm glad they're going over well -- of the many aspects of this book, Derst and Bars were what I was most worried about. I kept reading and re-reading their dialogue and going, "Is this funny?"

I guess I got it (at least mostly) right.

quote:
I liked how Derst took on a serious role when Meris was disrespecting Arya when they bumped into each other at the entrance to the townhouse.

And that's a good example -- they aren't pure comic relief: they just happen to be witty and musing (mostly Derst).

quote:
Erik, we see Torlic fencing in this section of the book. Is it right that you're a fencer too? Is this like a wink to your hobby of fencing? Did you find that fencing helped you write some of the combat scenes for the book.

You haven't mistaken me. I am indeed a novice fencer (foil and saber). I know Richard Lee Byers is a fencer as well (MUCH more accomplished than I).

And actually, those scenes in Ghostwalker predate my taking up fencing. I'd watched it before -- real fencing, not Hollywood fencing, of which the duel with Torlic is a combination -- but I wouldn't actually hold a rapier until the following Spring. ;)

That's part of why the duel doesn't hold up as a real bout. Then again, there's also the whole magically light longsword vs. rapier in a fencing match ('twould be much like that scene in Rob Roy, with the broad-ish sword vs. the small sword) and the whole ability to float and use painful reckoning. . .

But I digress.

I was, though, already a sword-collector, and I ran through the choreography on some of the moves with one of the two swords I bought in Toledo.

quote:
Again, that eerie dialog flashback happens here, where Torlic says "Dance with me, boy"

Noticing a pattern?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Malarick
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2005 :  15:39:01  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Aye, and this is why I think it reflects my idea of Ravenloft. The domains of dread are places I can never seem to imagine the sun breaking the continuous gloom!

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Noticing a pattern?

Aye, they all use the same words as when they originally killed Walker! I like this idea that he will only truly know he has found the right person when they utter those phrases!

Malarick

Edited by - Malarick on 07 Dec 2005 15:39:41
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2005 :  15:56:42  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Aye, they all use the same words as when they originally killed Walker! I like this idea that he will only truly know he has found the right person when they utter those phrases!

And indeed -- that becomes significant.

But I won't spoil anything. ;)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2005 :  21:56:14  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love this kind of scene, where Greyt starts to try and explain situations and try and play down the recent events which befell Arya to her. Only to slip up on two occassions and Arya states "I never mentioned that" or "I didn't tell that part to anyway"

You can imagine the flushed feeling he must have felt when he realised he'd been sussed, even though Arya didn't really press the matter.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2005 :  02:05:14  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah yes, back on the reading track, especially now that I'm snowed in . . .

I think it always takes a careful hand to make a female lead come across as agressive and competent in a male dominated field without making her Wonder Woman, and I think you have done a pretty good job with Arya. Then again, you upholding a tradition of engaging swordswomen in the Realms, what with Arilyn and Alias (two of my other favorite Realms female warrior leads). Wait . . . I just noticed all of those begin with "A." Hm . . .

I like the idea of an evil bard. Bards usually come across as either goodly fonts of knowlage or light hearded unconcerned types just trying to entertain or pick up knowlage here or there, so its a nice change to see one that is using his powers of persuasion in a manner that in nefarious.

I like how Bars is a paladin that isn't trying to take over the leadership role. Its an interesting twist on a paladin as well. While its obvious that he doesn't like "sneaky" plans or proceedures, its also obvious that he knows the various roles that the different knights play in the group. He also seems pretty comfortable being the muscle, not the brains. Plus, for some reason I like the idea of an overweight paladin. Perhaps it showing that he can live up to his code and still have some human failings.

I was worried going into this story that a character that is too good at fighting, that just pops in somewhere, overmatches his opponent, exacts vengence, and leaves wouldn't be particularly compelling, but Walker has turned out to be a bit more complex than all of that, and has remained interesting.

I keep wondering if he will ever hear his father speak though . . .

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2005 :  10:47:57  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

He sure is mysterious. It's quite haunting (no pun intended) about how silent he is and how he looks at Walker all disapproving.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2005 :  10:52:06  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But what I wonder is if its really dissapproval or if its more a matter of worrying about his son taking a self destructive path. Walker seems to beleive the former, but it is possible that its the latter . . . I wonder if we will find out.
Go to Top of Page

Malarick
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2005 :  11:40:53  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Walker seems to beleive the former, but it is possible that its the latter . . . I wonder if we will find out.

Yes....keep on reading. You will find out in the latter few chapters of the book. So I am not saying anyting here

Malarick
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2005 :  16:32:04  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I love this kind of scene, where Greyt starts to try and explain situations and try and play down the recent events which befell Arya to her. Only to slip up on two occassions and Arya states "I never mentioned that" or "I didn't tell that part to anyway"

You can imagine the flushed feeling he must have felt when he realised he'd been sussed, even though Arya didn't really press the matter.

Well, that's one of those tense scenes in the book where Arya realizes that Greyt's in on it but tries her best to ensure that Greyt doesn't realize she knows. Then there's this little awkward silence where Greyt really becomes threatening -- Arya's in a very bad spot. It's a cinematic thing. ;)

KnightErrantJR -- I'm glad you like Arya! I was a little worried about her character for just the reasons you point out, but I think I did a fairly good job keeping her realistic. She's certainly not the finest fighter in the book, and she's not overly powerful.

quote:
Then again, you upholding a tradition of engaging swordswomen in the Realms, what with Arilyn and Alias (two of my other favorite Realms female warrior leads). Wait . . . I just noticed all of those begin with "A." Hm .

I just realized that. Heh. Total coincidence, that "A" thing. Unless it's some sort of "Alpha-woman" thing. :)

quote:
I like the idea of an evil bard. Bards usually come across as either goodly fonts of knowlage or light hearded unconcerned types just trying to entertain or pick up knowlage here or there, so its a nice change to see one that is using his powers of persuasion in a manner that in nefarious.

Oh yes -- Harkon Lukas, I believe, is the first "evil bard" I'd ever heard of, and I liked the concept so much that I just HAD to do it. ;)

You know what I'm finding? Oddly, in almost every piece of my writing, there's a bard (or two). Weird.

quote:
I like how Bars is a paladin that isn't trying to take over the leadership role. Its an interesting twist on a paladin as well. While its obvious that he doesn't like "sneaky" plans or proceedures, its also obvious that he knows the various roles that the different knights play in the group. He also seems pretty comfortable being the muscle, not the brains. Plus, for some reason I like the idea of an overweight paladin. Perhaps it showing that he can live up to his code and still have some human failings.

I enjoy paladins, particularly complex paladins. I play one in my local Realms game -- a rogue / paladin (inquisitor) -- who's just awesome.

quote:

Oh yes (nods to Malarick) -- you will.

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Malarick
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2005 :  18:28:12  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh yes -- Harkon Lukas, I believe, is the first "evil bard" I'd ever heard of, and I liked the concept so much that I just HAD to do it. ;)

And if you like Greyts character then you would do well to pick up Death of a Darklord when it is re-released in 2006.

Malarick
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2005 :  19:35:18  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Malarick

quote:

And if you like Greyts character then you would do well to pick up Death of a Darklord when it is re-released in 2006.

Re-released? What is this?

That and Heart of Midnight, which is even more apropos.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 09 Dec 2005 19:36:10
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2005 :  16:29:16  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's something reposted from my sage scroll:

quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

Eric,
I have a question about Ghostwalker.
Just picked up and just reached chapter 7, liking it alot so far.
Why a mithral blade? Just curious, since it is a somewhat odd choice.

Thanks

Edit: Just finished Ghostwalker, a most excellent novel. Can't wait to read more by you.

Warlock

I'm glad you enjoyed! Check out my "Wayfarer" short story, if you like!

As for your question: Well, it's an elven weapon -- it seemed appropriate.

In gamerese, the weapon is a +1 ghost touch mithral shatterspike longsword.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Malarick
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2005 :  16:41:13  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In gamerese, the weapon is a +1 ghost touch mithral shatterspike longsword.

I loved the fact that it can be both deadly in the Ethereal as well as the material plane.

One question though - how does the sword travel into the Ethereal, so that Walker can pass through solid objects such as doors and walls?

Malarick
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2005 :  17:06:46  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Malarick

One question though - how does the sword travel into the Ethereal, so that Walker can pass through solid objects such as doors and walls?

Basically, your gear and equipment becomes ethereal or incorporeal when you do.

In strict game terms, though, when he's still visible to non-ethereal creatures but insubstantial, he's incorporeal, not ethereal. ;)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2005 :  19:26:24  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You continue to impress, Erik. Walker is becoming more and more a catalyst for what is going on around him. His story is important, but it is just as important to those he comes in contact with. Great story of vengeance.
You said somewhere that you were concerned about adding too much action, what with the fight scenes, but I actually want more at this point. As far as ability, I think Greyt is where he needs to be, but I also would have been much more interested in him if he had more political power. The way you write his character, I can see why he does not, however it would have made for more cinematic fights if Walker fought with multiple opponents, as he does after killing Torlic. Using his powers to confuse and keep them guessing.
His mentor, Gylther'yel, is a hardcore nature druid/ghost. It shows that any viewpoint, even neutrality, can be extreme.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  13:21:26  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammer of Moradin

His mentor, Gylther'yel, is a hardcore nature druid/ghost. It shows that any viewpoint, even neutrality, can be extreme.

I really took to Gylther'yel at first. Although she aint as black and white as she first seems, and with many fancinations - it can go to extremes, bordering on insanity!

She's quite a complex character. I'll be interested to hear more of what you think of her as the book goes on, Hammer.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2005 :  06:52:51  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She is an interesting character. I read a spoiler about certain things she did, so her past with Walker is a bit clearer, which only goes to reinforce my thoughts on her. I will post more as more events happen with her involved.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2005 :  18:16:40  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammer of Moradin

You continue to impress, Erik. Walker is becoming more and more a catalyst for what is going on around him. His story is important, but it is just as important to those he comes in contact with. Great story of vengeance.
You said somewhere that you were concerned about adding too much action, what with the fight scenes, but I actually want more at this point.

Oh, you'll get it.

quote:
As far as ability, I think Greyt is where he needs to be, but I also would have been much more interested in him if he had more political power.

Well, Greyt's complicated in terms of politics -- he's a dominant force, but mostly through his charisma and charm, not through being tightly connected to the people (who he despises, even as he needs their validation).

quote:
The way you write his character, I can see why he does not, however it would have made for more cinematic fights if Walker fought with multiple opponents, as he does after killing Torlic. Using his powers to confuse and keep them guessing.

Oh, just wait. [ to those who know what I mean.]

quote:

Indeed. For those gamers out there: what alignment is Gylther'yel? N? LN? NE?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2005 :  06:34:45  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

Well - since Christmas has passed - things are slowing down a bit for me at work. I have now gotten through chaper 8. :)

I agree with previous comments - but one thing was not mentioned that I noticed - that I thought was quite glaring.

Arya basically stole that pendant from Greyt's desk. Seems Very out of character for her - or what I envision a knight doing. Certainly - there must be some plot reason for her to be in possession of it. Too bad it could not have gotten into her possession in a better way. LIke - given to her by Greyt's wife - who she meets briefly in his study.

Speaking of his wife - I find it interesting that from what I am getting out of the book - and the one statement - that she will be killed later in the book. Seems odd to mention that she will not talk to her again if she is not killed. But - seems to be the fates of all his previous wives....

Well - still enjoying myself - just wish I had more time to read/ :)

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2005 :  16:10:19  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dhomal

I agree with previous comments - but one thing was not mentioned that I noticed - that I thought was quite glaring.

Arya basically stole that pendant from Greyt's desk. Seems Very out of character for her - or what I envision a knight doing. Certainly - there must be some plot reason for her to be in possession of it. Too bad it could not have gotten into her possession in a better way. LIke - given to her by Greyt's wife - who she meets briefly in his study.

She didn't really steal it, per se -- she was just looking at it and by instinct put it in her pocket, then forgot about it. I don't honestly recall if it reappears later in the book -- I don't think so. Pretty sure I meant to have it show up again, but there are good reasons it's not there. If you're curious at the end, mention it again in the last thread, and we'll chat about it. :)

quote:
Speaking of his wife - I find it interesting that from what I am getting out of the book - and the one statement - that she will be killed later in the book. Seems odd to mention that she will not talk to her again if she is not killed. But - seems to be the fates of all his previous wives....

Ah, the statement just says "they would never speak again." Doesn't necessarily mean death, but I agree that that seems the easiest explanation. Question, though: how do you know that doesn't mean ARYA will be killed?

quote:
Well - still enjoying myself - just wish I had more time to read/ :)

Dhomal

I'm glad! I hope you continue to do just that -- when you have time.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2005 :  03:13:45  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
[br
She didn't really steal it, per se -- she was just looking at it and by instinct put it in her pocket, then forgot about it. I don't honestly recall if it reappears later in the book -- I don't think so. Pretty sure I meant to have it show up again, but there are good reasons it's not there. If you're curious at the end, mention it again in the last thread, and we'll chat about it. :)

quote:

Ah, the statement just says "they would never speak again." Doesn't necessarily mean death, but I agree that that seems the easiest explanation. Question, though: how do you know that doesn't mean ARYA will be killed?

Hello-

Well - OK - I 'suppose' that it could be instinct - but it just seems a bit wrong - when she - and the other two knights are sticklers for how people treat Arya and such - but if you say its not important...... :)

Also - no - I would have no basis for saying that it was the wife and not Arya - but 1) Greyt's wives seem to have a high fatality rate (hence the term wives - in the plural) and 2) Just from the way its written. :)

I am - actually - a chapter or two further along right now - and am waiting to open the next scroll when I finish those chapters.

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2005 :  16:43:35  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, you're absolutely right -- I'm just 1) explaining what goes on with the locket (and I don't think I mention it again in the books -- oops!) and 2) doing my part to keep the ambiguity going -- 'tis my job. ;)

That's a legitimate point you raise about the "stealing" bit. I think if Arya were to discover the locket in her pocket (rather than it getting lost later on), she would feel very bad about having taken it and seek to return it. But she gets caught up, as you have probably already seen.

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2006 :  23:44:48  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh, you're absolutely right -- I'm just 1) explaining what goes on with the locket (and I don't think I mention it again in the books -- oops!) and 2) doing my part to keep the ambiguity going -- 'tis my job. ;)

That's a legitimate point you raise about the "stealing" bit. I think if Arya were to discover the locket in her pocket (rather than it getting lost later on), she would feel very bad about having taken it and seek to return it. But she gets caught up, as you have probably already seen.

I also got the feeling that was very "Unknightly" of Arya, but it did not seem to be a big deal, what piqued my curiousity were the inscription "It is easier to destroy than create" in Elvish script.
That did not seem a very elvish thing to inscribe on a gift. It made me wonder if it was something Greyt may have given his Lady Wife as a warning? (She has most likely questioned Greyt about her sons murder many times over the years.) I read earlier in this scroll that the locket does not re-appear, but is the inscription forshadowing something?

Loved the duel with Torlic, I echo the other scribes high marks for it. What really capped it for me though was the tension with Arya when they lock blades. It picked up perfectly with the tone of his departure from her in the alley.(Please kill Meris by the by)
It seems that something about her rattles him, as nothing has since his re-birth. I had no doubts that if any other living being had been the only thing between Walker and his escape, he would have slayed without compunction.

On to chapter 8!!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 28 Aug 2006 23:46:09
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  03:01:29  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

That did not seem a very elvish thing to inscribe on a gift. It made me wonder if it was something Greyt may have given his Lady Wife as a warning? (She has most likely questioned Greyt about her sons murder many times over the years.) I read earlier in this scroll that the locket does not re-appear, but is the inscription forshadowing something?

I'm going to answer this with the wonderful (for me) and terrible (for you), PERHAPS.

MWAHAHAHA!

Ahem.

quote:
Loved the duel with Torlic, I echo the other scribes high marks for it. What really capped it for me though was the tension with Arya when they lock blades. It picked up perfectly with the tone of his departure from her in the alley.

I'm glad you liked that! I very much enjoyed the choreography of that scene.

quote:
(Please kill Meris by the by)

Sure, you say that now.

quote:
It seems that something about her rattles him, as nothing has since his re-birth.

quote:
I had no doubts that if any other living being had been the only thing between Walker and his escape, he would have slayed without compunction.

Well, probably not entirely without compunction. After all, he felt disappointed he had to kill that guard in Drex's house. But without hesitation, oh yeah.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  19:49:01  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And the tale stay more and more interesting!

Chapter 4 - The meeting of Arya and Greyt was well done. Again, the details make the diference, here. The details in Greyt´s mansion, the perceptions of Arya, the disdain of Greyt with Bars and Derst. All this together make a good meeting. And Meris like of dramatic arrivals, eh? The "sweet wine and light jests" of Greyt, in the end, mark one more point to the dastard in my opinion.

And I stay worried when Meris take care of Bars and Derst so easily ... Arya will be in trouble, if the guys don´t start to stay more focused...

Chapter 5 - the scene of Walker in the glade, and his vision of the ethereal, was simply state of art! Erik, really is dificult to say anything about your work, when you describe some place, person or situation - like these first moments of Walker in this chapter, are out of comments, or praise. Simply perfect!

And so, another player came to the game. The Ghostly Lady not only exist, but is the mentor of Walker. So, Gylther´yel is a ghost, a druid and a sun elf! Great combination of factors.

Back to Quaervarr, Arya goes to the investigation. I will send Derst, but I know that sometimes, the women really think that they could do all alone. And we have the first contact with Lyetha. She intrigues me, and let me curious. I´m expecting to see Lyetha a little more. But that dastard Meris have to appear and "finish" the night for her.

The confront in the alley was very good. I think that the assailant was a certain despicable scout, but anyway, Walker came to save the night (it´s not Gotham city, but I feel some echoes in the scene...). A very cinematographic scene, indeed.

Chapter 6 - Wooooooooh! Walker appearing from the nothing between Torlic and Narb was perfect! The battle of the two was a very good, but I have to read it with more care (too much new words that I have learned in that scene - read a battle scene consulting the dictionary break the moment, but nothing that a second read couldn´t make better). By the way, what is a shatterspike blade?

Again, Walker use his abilities and a clever maneuver to bring down an enemie. The fact that he disappears in the shadows, after the confront with the guards, Meris and Arya was a good one: help to make grow more the misterious aura about him. I think that any guard will stay very impressed after that night.

Chapter 7 - Greyt aide, Tamnus, is a relative of CS Lewis´s Mr. Tumnus?

Ahem. I like of Unddreth. It´s good to know that is something important in the city out of the control of Greyt and his band. Finally, Lyetha appears again. Ouch! She´s gone too fast. The lady Greyt is more sneaky than Walker! And it´s very frustrating, when Arya told his mission to Greyt. Anyway, Greyt speak more than he could, when he mention the attack in the alley. Well, he is not perfect, and this little error have potential to great damage. I love it. And again, "the scout that make my happiness dissapear" came to scene again. I´m expecting to see Meris receive a good lesson.

And what? Greyt have a wizard mage in his sleeves, that not even Meris know nothing about?

Things are going more misterious, and perilous.

Let´s turn some more pages.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  20:17:56  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

Chapter 4 - The meeting of Arya and Greyt was well done. Again, the details make the diference, here. The details in Greyt´s mansion, the perceptions of Arya, the disdain of Greyt with Bars and Derst. All this together make a good meeting.

Glad you think so! It was an important scene, and there was more going on between the characters than met the eye -- I tried to emphasize the tension between all involved.

quote:
And I stay worried when Meris take care of Bars and Derst so easily ... Arya will be in trouble, if the guys don´t start to stay more focused...

Well, he *did* catch them off-guard. I wonder if there will be a rematch?

quote:
Chapter 5 - the scene of Walker in the glade, and his vision of the ethereal, was simply state of art! Erik, really is dificult to say anything about your work, when you describe some place, person or situation - like these first moments of Walker in this chapter, are out of comments, or praise. Simply perfect!

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

quote:
And so, another player came to the game. The Ghostly Lady not only exist, but is the mentor of Walker. So, Gylther´yel is a ghost, a druid and a sun elf! Great combination of factors.

I should mention that Gylther'yel isn't necessarily a ghost, per se -- she might be alive, she might be undead. Who knows?

Sounds a little like Walker himself.

quote:
Back to Quaervarr, Arya goes to the investigation. I will send Derst, but I know that sometimes, the women really think that they could do all alone. And we have the first contact with Lyetha. She intrigues me, and let me curious. I´m expecting to see Lyetha a little more. But that dastard Meris have to appear and "finish" the night for her.

Glad you're intrigued -- the dynamic amongst Lyetha, Greyt, and Meris will be important.

quote:
The confront in the alley was very good. I think that the assailant was a certain despicable scout, but anyway, Walker came to save the night (it´s not Gotham city, but I feel some echoes in the scene...). A very cinematographic scene, indeed.

Heh heh -- my little homage to my childhood comic hero.

quote:
Chapter 6 - Wooooooooh! Walker appearing from the nothing between Torlic and Narb was perfect! The battle of the two was a very good, but I have to read it with more care (too much new words that I have learned in that scene - read a battle scene consulting the dictionary break the moment, but nothing that a second read couldn´t make better).

Glad it worked out -- I think learning words by reading is an excellent strategy. And if I expand your English (which is an infernally tough language anyway) with my book, I'll be pleased as punch.

quote:
By the way, what is a shatterspike blade?

It's a type of magical sword that is especially sharp and made for breaking other weapons.

quote:
I think that any guard will stay very impressed after that night.

Oh, I have a feeling Walker will encounter watchmen again.

quote:
Chapter 7 - Greyt aide, Tamnus, is a relative of CS Lewis´s Mr. Tumnus?

Hmm -- I hadn't seen that connection. Perhaps!

quote:
Ahem. I like of Unddreth. It´s good to know that is something important in the city out of the control of Greyt and his band.

Unddreth is probably the closest thing I come to a dwarf in the novel. I'm sorry -- none of the shorter folk in this one.

I'm glad you like the character, though! He was fun using. I didn't make him up -- he's statted (briefly) in the Silver Marches accessory.

quote:
I´m expecting to see Meris receive a good lesson.

And maybe you will. Or maybe not. Ah ha!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2006 :  16:54:29  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Glad you think so! It was an important scene, and there was more going on between the characters than met the eye -- I tried to emphasize the tension between all involved.

Yes, the tension was so great that someone could cut the air with a knife without edge. Anyway, now that I just finished chapter 11 and delve a little more in Greyt action, I re-read this encounter. The bard continue to grow in my concept.

quote:
Well, he *did* catch them off-guard. I wonder if there will be a rematch?

Funny. I wonder the same thing.

quote:
Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Enjoyed? I want now to see a dwarven book penned by you, Erik!

quote:
I should mention that Gylther'yel isn't necessarily a ghost, per se -- she might be alive, she might be undead. Who knows?

Sounds a little like Walker himself.

Right. A druid ghostwalker... may Moradin protect my beard.

quote:
Glad you're intrigued -- the dynamic amongst Lyetha, Greyt, and Meris will be important.

I have that strange feeling that always exist more than what I´m seeing (and I´m not talking about Talthaliel here). Talking with a deceptive tiefling don´t help this.

quote:
Glad it worked out -- I think learning words by reading is an excellent strategy. And if I expand your English (which is an infernally tough language anyway) with my book, I'll be pleased as punch.

It´s a very good way to lear, indeed.

And by the way, english is easy, believe me! Brazilian portuguese is a real kick in the ***

quote:
It's a type of magical sword that is especially sharp and made for breaking other weapons.

Good. It´s stated in some supplement, or something created by you?

quote:
Oh, I have a feeling Walker will encounter watchmen again.

I have that feeling, too.

quote:
Unddreth is probably the closest thing I come to a dwarf in the novel. I'm sorry -- none of the shorter folk in this one.

I'm glad you like the character, though! He was fun using. I didn't make him up -- he's statted (briefly) in the Silver Marches accessory.

Yup, I just find Unddreth in the Silver Marches. Well, as I have said, it will be interesting to see a dwarf created by you. The care and the good way that you treat all the races and "character classes" in Ghostwalker put me to think thay you would be one of the guys that will treat the stout folk properly.

quote:
quote:
I´m expecting to see Meris receive a good lesson.

And maybe you will. Or maybe not. Ah ha!

Cheers

The eternal teaser, eh? You received lessons of a certain kender of a certain trilogy of a certain other setting?

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000