Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Sentinelspire - Chapters 30 - 42
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2008 :  22:03:29  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Sentinelspire (Book 4 of The Citadels), by Mark Sehestedt. Please discuss chapters 30 - 42 herein.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Edited by - The Sage on 08 Sep 2008 08:55:45

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2008 :  18:40:28  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Sentinelspire (Book 4 of The Citadels), by Mark Sehestedt. Please discuss chapters 30 - 42 herein.

Qiut a bit going on here for sure. So the Old Man is actually Berun's master Cereth(sp?)He killed the master of asassains and has been in charge of Sentinelspire for years. So its not the Old Man whos eggs have cracked, its a crazy old treehuggin' overzealous druid who is going to destroy civilazation. I would laugh , but the old druid actually thinks he is smarter than the rest of Faerun and even has a plan to re-populate the world. And I thought Szass Tam had a high opinion of his own importance!

And poor Lewam keeps getting outsmarted and more confused as this goes on, how did he never suspect that his "servant" could be a spy until so late? Berun really sheltered the boy overmuch!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  03:50:57  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed this book, thank you Mr. Sehestedt. Of course I'm a big ranger fan. It was nice to see a follower of Malar that was not a were-something-or-the-other and had a code that followed more of a the stong survive mentality instead of destroy all civilization.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  03:02:45  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked this book a lot. Lewan and Ulaan were interesting. Sauk was great. I always loved Malar as a "bad guy" deity

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

hahahax
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2008 :  14:28:57  Show Profile  Visit hahahax's Homepage Send hahahax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The book is really good. The only thing I'm not too sure about is Berun. He could have been so much more if the killer part of him had a bigger role. Still good tho, anyone knows if Mark's got any other novels coming?
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2008 :  15:47:34  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hahahax

The book is really good. The only thing I'm not too sure about is Berun. He could have been so much more if the killer part of him had a bigger role. Still good tho, anyone knows if Mark's got any other novels coming?

I am keeping my fingers crossed that WOTC gives/already has given him one of the new "Wilds" series!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

avaz
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2008 :  15:31:02  Show Profile  Visit avaz's Homepage Send avaz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished this book and I thoroughly enjoyed it. One of my favorite realms books of the year!
The characters were really excellent - none appeared cardboard or one dimensional. Never thought that I would like reading about a follower of Malar so much! How the characters reacted to different situations felt very real and the story kept me guessing on who were the antagonists until the very end.

I liked Frostfell, but I really thought Sentinelspire was something great. Mark, I hope you keep writing in the realms - very nice indeed.

On a funnier note, I was re-reading the beginning and caught some foreshadowing on what would happen with the tiger/lizard at the end of the book. Nicely done!

Great job and hats off on this novel!
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2008 :  03:14:51  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I got stuck in an airport for seven hours over the weekend and read both this and Swords of Dragonfire in one sitting. Boy THERE was a change of tone...

Overall, I liked it. Not as good as Frostfell, but still good, and it's beating the pants off of Obsidian Ridge (which was the third book in my bag and the one I'm currently reading) quality-wise.

I really liked Sauk. If more followers of Malar were like him, Faerun would have a lot less trouble with that church. It was interesting to see a follower of a CE deity who had a rigid moral code and who was still totally believable. After all, evil doesn't mean stupid, or even dishonorable.

I agree that Lewan was foolish not to suspect that his personal slave was at the very least a spy, if not the full-blown elite assassin she turned out to be, but I still liked their relationship. There's something about the nature of trust being addicting that's very interesting to me. Watching how people (both fictional and in real life) who have never experienced trust taste it for the first time and discover how it completely changes their lives. It's a theme that fits very well with the idea of a bunch of assassins, who trust each other about as much as your average drow.

The one thing I would have liked to know at the end was whether her sister survived the end fight or not. Mark, if you're around, do you think you could enlighten us?

My last comment was that I liked how the killoren were handled. Overall, I hate how all the 3e books introduced race after poorly-thought-out race into Core, and then a bunch of them seemed to get equally-improbably shoe-horned into the Realms. Here they show up, but they're recruits from another plane/prime world that the druid brought in to be his own muscle, and not actually natives of the Realms. That's much more fitting than trying to hand-wave them into existence.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
734 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2008 :  07:35:36  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I really liked this book for the most part, I felt the ending dragged on-and-on a little. This was not helped by the impression that for all his 'might' Chereth could only muster two types of attacks. Attack by vine, using his enchanted staff, or attack by mini-fireball. The whole fight atop the Tower of the Sun just took too long with too many periods of stalemate or ‘apparent defeat’ of Berun and company.

I really looked forward to the finale, especially after the showcasing of Berun’s killing talent we were given as he infiltrated the fortress, but for all that it fell a little flat when he was faced with his former master. I am happy that he didn’t survive, as this allows Lewan—who for the most part was a damsel in distress—to grow up and fill some big boots in the future. Though I didn’t like Lewan much, I am glad he and Ulaan can walk away from this.

Altogether, not as good as Frostfell, but in my opinion the second best of The Citadels series.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2009 :  17:11:08  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed this book thoroughly. I greatly enjoyed all the twists, like Ulaan being an assassin, Chereth being the Old Man, etc... glad that you had the extra pages to make it as good as it was :)

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000