Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 favourite cahracter
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2007 :  21:03:55  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by Akeri Rualuavain

Would sound craz, but actualy I would love to meet him. Because he's a tortured soul, because he's a elf... Because he is a thief... sorry i'm a care-taker...

Understood. I see Elaith as a poisonous snake, though. Those snakes bite. It's not unlikely he'll bite even the most caring hand, so it's better just to stay away from him.

In fact, I think the short story I mention illustrates that perfectly.

Exactly, it is why those who know him call him the serpent

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

7w3ak
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2008 :  15:02:17  Show Profile  Visit 7w3ak's Homepage Send 7w3ak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm... I choose Elminster mainly because I love the effort Ed Greenwood has put into his alternate self and the realms... Most my friends say "Man I bet you'd live in Forgotten Realms if you could"
and i simply say "YUP!". But without going with a famous character thats an easy choice I would have to say I love both Evris Cale and Torm the knight of myth drannor(I hope he gets written about more before the realms blows up to fourth)

~Lawful Good is Lawful GREAT~
Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2008 :  15:32:25  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 7w3ak

Hmmmm... I choose Elminster mainly because I love the effort Ed Greenwood has put into his alternate self

Uh-oh.
Go to Top of Page

Zarithar
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2008 :  16:01:50  Show Profile  Visit Zarithar's Homepage Send Zarithar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From that list I would have to choose Drizzt simply because he is the most well developed. Elminster would come in second simply because of his legendary nature, although I know little of the actual character and what makes him "tick" as a person.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2008 :  17:28:00  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmmmm... I choose Elminster mainly because I love the effort Ed Greenwood has put into his alternate self...

Ed doesn't see Elminster as his alternate self.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2008 :  23:22:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmmmm... I choose Elminster mainly because I love the effort Ed Greenwood has put into his alternate self...
Elminster is NOT Ed's alternate self.

I'll let Ed explain this himself:-

"No, of course not. WotC authors are often asked to provide “sell copy” for book jackets, though it NEVER reaches print un-tinkered-with, but in the old TSR days, writers were rarely invited to do so. I had never seen that blurb until a copy of the book was brought to me for signing at a convention, and I certainly never wrote a word of it. No, I have never said Elminster is my “alter ego.” TSR has, many times; a practice that began in GenCon pre-registration blurb booklets, describing the seminars I did in costume, acting the part of Elminster - - ALSO a practice TSR asked me to begin and carry on. When they, many years later, asked me to leave the costume at home, I happily did so. Those robes are hot. :}
To reiterate: I have never, ever said that Elminster is my alter ego or wish fulfillment character, or thought that way for one minute. I will never use any Realms characters in that manner, because doing so would ruin the whole fun of creating the world and its characters, and watching what happens and how they evolve. Just as all of the gamers who have played various PC adventurers in my Realms sessions over the years are playing roles, not themselves.

So saith Ed. Who will return with regular Realmslore about ten hours from now, if he stays on schedule.
love,
THO"

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Slaygrim
Learned Scribe

111 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  19:10:48  Show Profile  Visit Slaygrim's Homepage Send Slaygrim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This was so hard for me to do. I ended up going with Elaith Craulnober. The way I answered this question when considering my choice, was I picked the character whom if a book came out featuring them, which one would I have to go buy the day it came out?

I chose Elaith because he is so complex and is a tragic character with his fall from grace. He is so interesting because he is so bad, yet still has flashes of goodness within him. I like him because he is ruthless. I like him because he is feared.

Drizzt would have to be my all time favorite character but honestly, I am getting a little tired of RAS's writing style. Drizzt seems to have moved away from the character he was in the earlier books and has become more "paladin-like". I understand that as a teller of tales you need to have character developement, but I don't like where Drizzt went. He's always doing "the right thing" and it's maddening. Elaith won't always do the right thing, and in fact usually he won't. I love that about him.

Now there are other characters I really like as well. Danilo Thann, especially the Thann from Elfshadow when he was the foppish dandy. Great character. Definitely up there.

I also really liked Jack Ravenwild and he didn't get a mention in this at all. Jack was awesome! He was light hearted, yet a complete liar and self centered. He was very resourceful, yet not overly powerful. His charm was great.

Jarlaxle is another one I really like... but again, I've grown a little weary of my former favorite author in RAS. Everything is so predictable. I feel like once you've read a couple RAS books, you've read them all. He also seems very feminist.

While I chose Elaith as probably my current favorite character, I absolutely cannot stand his stats published by WotC as tehy present him as a mage with a couple fighter levels. I like how Elaine Cunningham presents Elaith. He seems to be the opposite. He seems like a powerful yet roguish fighter, perhaps with a level or so in wizard.

Watch my gorgeous wife sing at:
www.youtube.com/Airicx
Go to Top of Page

Slaygrim
Learned Scribe

111 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  19:19:23  Show Profile  Visit Slaygrim's Homepage Send Slaygrim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanyn Midrain

Erevis Cale. He really defines anti-hero for me.
The things he has to wrestle with in Twilight Falling and Dawn of Night are, not to spoil anything, disturbing indeed, which makes for a very complex and interesting character.

How the heck did I forget Cale? I'm reading Shadowstorm right now and I still forgot him! Erevis Cale is up there too. Very dark hero (no pun intended). I like Riven a lot too.

Watch my gorgeous wife sing at:
www.youtube.com/Airicx
Go to Top of Page

Neo2151
Learned Scribe

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2008 :  05:57:57  Show Profile Send Neo2151 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neo2151

Hm, well, I hate to feel as if I'm copying Wooly but out of those few people listed, I'd have to say Danilo with Elaith in a close second.

Actually, my absolute favorite isn't on the list. That title would have to go to everyone's favorite tag-along Chaney, but Goigi would come in close second.

Alright, I know that two and a half years ago I posted the above... but (and it shames me to say this) I can't really even remember which novel(s) Chaney was in (Am I right in thinking Wyvernspur?!)
So, I feel the need to edit in my absolute favorite Realms character...
Torm of the Knights!

Although, rereading all these posts is making me want to pick up Elfshadow and Wyvernspur and remember why I liked Danilo and Goigi so much!

"Come looking for me, and I will blast you to dust, and then lay waste to all your descendants, ancestors, and the realm you came from, every last tree and stone of it. Why? Well, it's what I usually do."

-Baerendra Riverhand on The Story of Spellfire

Edited by - Neo2151 on 03 Feb 2008 05:59:18
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2008 :  11:24:01  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zelg of Cyric

1.Torm 2.Gromph 3.Arvin 4.Danilo 5.Alusair

quote:
Originally posted by laethyn

Drizzt, of course.
Pikel :D
Belkram, Itharr, Sharantyr (The Rangers Three!)
Torm and Rathan
and
Josidiah Starym

There are just so many to choose from

quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

What a mistake !
Torm is not in the list ?

He's with no doubt my preferred character.
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

Torm, of the Knights of Myth Drannor

quote:

But without going with a famous character thats an easy choice I would have to say I love both Evris Cale and Torm the knight of myth drannor(I hope he gets written about more before the realms blows up to fourth)

I just wanted to say that we were 5 posters to claim that Torm Rathgar should be in the list !
I'm appealing to all Torm's fans. Just come and write Torm is the best in the Realms !

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2008 :  16:45:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Hm, well, I hate to feel as if I'm copying Wooly but out of those few people listed, I'd have to say Danilo with Elaith in a close second.

Actually, my absolute favorite isn't on the list. That title would have to go to everyone's favorite tag-along Chaney, but Goigi would come in close second.

Alright, I know that two and a half years ago I posted the above... but (and it shames me to say this) I can't really even remember which novel(s) Chaney was in (Am I right in thinking Wyvernspur?!)

Chaney was in a couple of the Sembia books.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Neo2151
Learned Scribe

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2008 :  00:48:26  Show Profile Send Neo2151 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah hah! Yes, that's right! Thanks much Wooly! That was killing me all day at work today

Oh, and Fillow, make that six

"Come looking for me, and I will blast you to dust, and then lay waste to all your descendants, ancestors, and the realm you came from, every last tree and stone of it. Why? Well, it's what I usually do."

-Baerendra Riverhand on The Story of Spellfire

Edited by - Neo2151 on 04 Feb 2008 00:53:32
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2008 :  00:21:10  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favourite character has to be Erevis Cale. It's great to read how he transform from an assassin disguised as a butler to the Chosen of Mask. I thought Paul S. Kemp did a fabulous job of writing about him.

In fact, it was Kemp's books and Erevis Cale that made me go back and buy the whole Sembia series as I read the Erevis Cale trilogy first.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  18:42:27  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

However, my fave character in the Realms isn't on that list. She's a half-elf, a barkeep, a mage, a Moonstar, and a Lord of Waterdeep. I speak of Kyriani, a very lovely lass who happens to be close friends with Selûne.

I'd have gone with Kyri if I could, but since she's not a choice, I'm sticking with the Seven Sisters.
Go to Top of Page

Hyset
Acolyte

Austria
9 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  15:08:13  Show Profile  Visit Hyset's Homepage Send Hyset a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really think the god "Mask" is my favorite character....

As for NON-Gods, Artemis Entreri, master of coolness.
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  09:41:36  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
entreri when he was still an evil git.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  17:53:07  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Danilo, because he is funny and has good character depth.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  17:54:48  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hyset

WHAT???? You mean Artemis Entreri is NOT a GOD???????????

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  20:57:50  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

quote:
Originally posted by Hyset

WHAT???? You mean Artemis Entreri is NOT a GOD???????????

As much as the fanboys wish it were so, he is not.
Go to Top of Page

Thielan
Acolyte

Australia
25 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2009 :  22:37:55  Show Profile  Visit Thielan's Homepage Send Thielan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have to be going with Cale here, but from the list.... probably Elaith. I'm just a bit bored of most of RAS characters, as much as I like them.
Go to Top of Page

RRELIN
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2009 :  03:56:17  Show Profile  Visit RRELIN's Homepage Send RRELIN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The god Bhaal is one of my favorites.
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2009 :  05:08:48  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Favorite character 'ever' is tough. But Drasek Riven has found a very strange place in my heart. I love the insanely professional attitude, the unapologetic personality.

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2009 :  05:10:21  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and Artemis is not a god.

He is God.

:D

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2009 :  00:37:20  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tough question, there are quite a lot great characters!

My favorite character would be Brennus Tanthul since I read the short story Continuum by Paul Kemp in Realms of War, where he got a more prominent role than in the Twilight War Trilogy, very closely followed by Pharaun Mizzrim, Malik el Sami yn Nasser, Erevis Cale and Magadon.

I liked Danilo Thann very much too, also Jack Ravenwild from City of Ravens.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625

Edited by - skychrome on 19 Apr 2010 23:03:10
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2009 :  20:48:29  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well.. I think my favorite one would be Ryld Argith... But I truly don't what he has that made me feel this way..

But i made a cliché vote... Drizzt will be always an awesome character.

(I didn't like that much Mags... And Cale with three or more books would be my favorite.. But... Well.. nevermind.)

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

Auzoros
Seeker

Australia
97 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2009 :  16:50:38  Show Profile Send Auzoros a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thought I'd throw in my vote for the Bouldershoulder brothers...they always made me LOL
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2009 :  05:38:23  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

I liked Danilo very much too, also Jack Ravenwild from City of Ravens.
I see Jack's name appearing on a lot of lists for favourite Realms characters. So I suppose it's time I read City of Ravens to find out why.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2009 :  06:54:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had two problems with Jack Ravenwild, myself. One was his name -- just didn't seem all that Realms-ish to me. The other was the fact that once he's already up to his eyebrows in trouble, he doesn't think a thing about getting even deeper with still more stuff to worry about. That seemed a bit on the unrealistic side.

That said, I did enjoy that book.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2009 :  07:37:10  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've loved Elaith since the beginning, especially after reading about his past in The More Things Change. Also, the short story about him going after the human with the moonblade from... Dragon, I think? I have to admit, it's a hard call between him, Arilyn, and Danilo... not to mention the Blackstaff. If only one could have multiple votes!

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart

Edited by - Joran Nobleheart on 01 Aug 2009 07:59:24
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2009 :  07:45:00  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do have to say that for a favorite villain (and one that makes my fey'ri bladesinger want to do lots of... interesting things to for her attention), I'm going to have to say Cythara of Mr. Erik Scott de Bie's short story in Realms of the Elves.

However, since that wasn't the purpose of this, I'll vote for Arilyn myself. She's a great character, and very interesting. Though, a person right beside her is Laeral Silverhand. I love the picture of her in the Hero's Lorebook!!

Hmm... is there actually a thread about a favorite villain?

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document

Edited by - Penknight on 01 Aug 2009 08:27:50
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000