Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 favourite cahracter
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Warrax
Learned Scribe

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  21:46:04  Show Profile  Visit Warrax's Homepage Send Warrax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ergdusch is the first guy to mention Pharaun? On page 6?!?!?!? o.O Gruen and Herakles follow but come on...

For shame, the lot of you, for shame... *shakes head in disappointment*

I've got a tough call here; there are about a half-dozen characters that I like well enough to challenge for 'favorite' status:

Elminster, Artemis Entreri, Pharaun Mizzrym, Jarlaxle, Erevis Cale (go, go Paul Kemp for creating a really awesome Byronic hero, that trilogy is so entertaining)...

Khelben's creeping up pretty quickly and is probably not on here firmly because I simply haven't read enough material about him.

Kimmuriel stands out in my mind, as do Liriel and Malchor Harpell but these guys are a notch below.

If forced to choose, I'd probably go with Jarlaxle. It'd be a tight race between him, Elminster and Cale, though, with Entreri not far behind.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2007 :  05:55:33  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Torm, of the Knights of Myth Drannor
Go to Top of Page

Pharaun Mizzrym
Acolyte

Canada
34 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2007 :  00:38:30  Show Profile  Visit Pharaun Mizzrym's Homepage Send Pharaun Mizzrym a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaith, There is just so much Depth To this character, unfortunatly I can't find the series based entirely around him anywhere:(
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2007 :  01:33:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pharaun Mizzrym

Elaith, There is just so much Depth To this character, unfortunatly I can't find the series based entirely around him anywhere:(

There isn't one... He appears in the Songs & Swords books by Elaine Cunningham, but he has never been the singular star of a single novel, much less an entire series.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Pharaun Mizzrym
Acolyte

Canada
34 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2007 :  02:37:18  Show Profile  Visit Pharaun Mizzrym's Homepage Send Pharaun Mizzrym a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So there is no books describing His life in evermeet to being a Crime Lord in Waterdeep?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2007 :  06:03:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's touched on in Evermeet, if I remember correctly. But, it is not the subject of the entire novel. It's just a few chapters, with gaps in time and without a lot of real detail.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 06 Sep 2007 06:04:13
Go to Top of Page

fanatic
Acolyte

Austria
34 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2007 :  09:19:36  Show Profile  Visit fanatic's Homepage Send fanatic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite char is JIVEX, the true hero of "The year of rogue Dragons" triology.

yes, he is a faery dragon but richard lee byers did a great job with that one.

my favorit scene: In a big battle which jivex took part in a very powerful dracolich is finally overcome and killed. (by a big horde of heroes, dwarves, giants and so on.) the crowd raised a thounderous cheer after the kill.

Jivex:" why arentīt cheering me? I did all the work!"

I really love his megalomania!!!

even fantasy has itīs limits

Edited by - fanatic on 09 Sep 2007 09:20:52
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2007 :  19:37:02  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is just enough information about Elaith, to want to learn a whole lot more about him.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2007 :  18:49:20  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Warrax

Ergdusch is the first guy to mention Pharaun? On page 6?!?!?!? o.O Gruen and Herakles follow but come on...

So far I've only read the first two books of that series, but I never thought Pharaun was all that great. I thought he was just a stylish but evil @$$hole who needs to be brought down a peg (if not knocked off the ladder completely)...and his behavior is consistant with that description.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 11 Sep 2007 18:50:30
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2007 :  16:00:17  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
finally something drizzt doesn't win in

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2007 :  16:01:28  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
but aside from that it would be... me!

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2007 :  18:25:07  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted Drizzt because I truely do like him. However, Ervis Cale is by far my favorite. I need to catch up on the all the FR novels that have been released in the past three years. Being married makes expanding one's library so much more difficult. That and buying D&D FR supplements. Anywho, with 4e coming out, I should be able to complete my 3.x source books collection relatively inexpensively, and then I can put all that money towards Realms novels. ;)

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2007 :  22:24:34  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for Jarlaxle, even though I did not want to choose between him and Drizzt.

I wish that Artemis Entreri was on the list because he is my favorite.

I like Jarlaxle as a story character. He is too amoral, never regretting anything, but that's what makes him interesting and fun to read about. You never know what he's going to do.

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2007 :  01:32:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

Being married makes expanding one's library so much more difficult.
I think that would depend on who you marry.

I know that, since my own waltz down the aisle, the Lady K has seen fit to expand upon what already was, a considerable home library. I'm seeing titles and types of books that I'd never previously considered. It's wonderful!

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2007 :  03:56:56  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My vote wasn't on the list: Artemis.

I'm just partial to assassins though.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2007 :  07:52:28  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

Being married makes expanding one's library so much more difficult.
I think that would depend on who you marry.

I know that, since my own waltz down the aisle, the Lady K has seen fit to expand upon what already was, a considerable home library. I'm seeing titles and types of books that I'd never previously considered. It's wonderful!

My wife likes reading the books, it has more to do with the stretching of funds after being married. Paying rent, bills, and two sets school loans eats up a large amount of the funds and leaves little for fun. I actually greatly enjoy being married. Now that she is graduated and has a job too, things are starting become affordable again.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Veldrin Laervain
Acolyte

Canada
28 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2007 :  20:15:02  Show Profile  Visit Veldrin Laervain's Homepage Send Veldrin Laervain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My vote goes to Elaith Craulnober. He is realy a good character. So dark but noble in the same time. More noble than some "real" elf. More noble then the one who took Arilyn Moonblade after he have his mother killed.

He is refraching (sorry I have difficulties to express myself)

Destiny is as great as our choice.
A situation will always have two side, a bad and a good.
May the song of the Dark Maiden guide the step of your life's dance
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2007 :  01:58:27  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ehh...I agree that Elaith is refreshing, but noble? Reading "Games of Chance" in Elaine's Best of the Realms anthology put to rest any illusions I might have had about Elaith being a noble soul deep down.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2007 :  14:46:17  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elminster...

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

Askanipsion
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2007 :  05:20:08  Show Profile  Visit Askanipsion's Homepage Send Askanipsion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For male - Kimmuriel - I love Drow and psionics

For female - Lolth and Quenthel
Go to Top of Page

Akeri Rualuavain
Seeker

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2007 :  12:12:24  Show Profile  Visit Akeri Rualuavain's Homepage Send Akeri Rualuavain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like my sister I like a lot the Character Elaith. Also like Danilo Thann and Arilyn, more after the trilogies of the elfsong.

But my Real Favorite characters would be, execo, Elminster and Drizzt do'Urden.

Sorry for my bad English, I'm french born

The courage to follow our dreams is the first step to achieve our destiny

The tale of Eric and the Dread Gazebo
http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/98/Jul/gazebo.html
Go to Top of Page

Veldrin Laervain
Acolyte

Canada
28 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2007 :  14:03:23  Show Profile  Visit Veldrin Laervain's Homepage Send Veldrin Laervain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Ehh...I agree that Elaith is refreshing, but noble? Reading "Games of Chance" in Elaine's Best of the Realms anthology put to rest any illusions I might have had about Elaith being a noble soul deep down.

I don't read it, because it's so difficulte to found english book, but I think their is different way to be truly noble.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2007 :  16:04:29  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Veldrin _Laftria

I don't read it, because it's so difficulte to found english book, but I think their is different way to be truly noble.

I understand. I don't mean to come off as argumentive because I believe that everyone is going to read characters differently. But what Elaith does at the end of the short story I mentioned is a good argument, in my opinion, against him being noble of character. Without mincing words (highlight for spoiler):Elaith kills a man in cold blood for doing exactly what Elaith asked (actually, forced) him to do--that is, tweak his moonblade so he could wield it. In my opinion that isn't something that can be glossed over. I love Elaith as a character, but I don't think he's noble, and I don't think he's the type of person I would ever want to meet either.

Go to Top of Page

Akeri Rualuavain
Seeker

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2007 :  19:55:07  Show Profile  Visit Akeri Rualuavain's Homepage Send Akeri Rualuavain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would sound craz, but actualy I would love to meet him. Because he's a tortured soul, because he's a elf... Because he is a thief... sorry i'm a care-taker... And also he a so good subject of what people can become today...

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2007 :  20:40:00  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Akeri Rualuavain

Would sound craz, but actualy I would love to meet him. Because he's a tortured soul, because he's a elf... Because he is a thief... sorry i'm a care-taker...

Understood. I see Elaith as a poisonous snake, though. Those snakes bite. It's not unlikely he'll bite even the most caring hand, so it's better just to stay away from him.

In fact, I think the short story I mention illustrates that perfectly.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 26 Nov 2007 20:46:24
Go to Top of Page

Veldrin Laervain
Acolyte

Canada
28 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2007 :  21:29:54  Show Profile  Visit Veldrin Laervain's Homepage Send Veldrin Laervain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol, he's juste like me. That's why it's my favorite character. But that trait doesn't meen he cannot be noble of heart, juste in his own way. Like what I'v read so far of Elaith/Danilo's Friendship. Strange, but strong. Elaith doesn't act like a real friend, but he is not normal and act as he think he should act to protect Danilo and Arilyn, that he saw like a daughter.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2007 :  23:58:36  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Veldrin _Laftria

lol, he's juste like me.

I don't think so (and I mean that in a good way, obviously).

Go to Top of Page

Laerrigan
Learned Scribe

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2007 :  06:29:01  Show Profile  Visit Laerrigan's Homepage Send Laerrigan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to say Danilo. Possibly because I see an amusing amount of my marvelous husband in him ;-) We'd all go nuts and start beating random strangers with nail-studded geese while singing through our teeth about yummy yummy fish heads, without people like that around. I, uh...I'm *not* the only one who'd end up that way, right...? I feel the world has been cheated when I consider that there have been quite a few daughters named Arliyn but I have yet to hear of any sons named Danilo.

I've read the Dark Elf trilogy and I'm halfway through the Icewind Dale trilogy, and I'm not that crazy about Drizzt, despite his general popularity...

"Your 'reality,' sir, is lies and balderdash, and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." (Baron Munchausen)
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was not made for this world." (C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy")
Go to Top of Page

Veldrin Laervain
Acolyte

Canada
28 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2007 :  02:31:36  Show Profile  Visit Veldrin Laervain's Homepage Send Veldrin Laervain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, maybe I'm a bit less sociable than him( He knows manner and I don't) and he sure is smarter than me, but that's true I'm not as "evil" as he is, I've a long way to go for that, but I'm working hared ;)

Go to Top of Page

Akeri Rualuavain
Seeker

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2007 :  02:26:47  Show Profile  Visit Akeri Rualuavain's Homepage Send Akeri Rualuavain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could never be a true "evil" even if you wanted to litl' sis'

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: