Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 RAS Maestro Description Up
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2015 :  12:46:58  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I would just love it if the dwarves smashed the place up some. Should be enough to kick off a civil war to unseat Baenre. :)

"Something terrible, unspeakable, immense, has come to Menzoberranzan and is leaving death and destruction in its wake. The primordial of Gauntlgrym stirs, sending Cattie-brie and Gromph to Luskan, and the ruins of the only power that can keep the beast in check. The damage of the Darkening, of war, and of a demon-ravaged Underdark has sent cracks out across the North. Some of this damage may never be repaired.

And Drizzt is going home. But not to Mithral Hall. Not to Icewind Dale. He’s going to Menzoberranzan. Bruenor is ready to march with him bringing along an army of dwarves to end the scourge of Menzoberranzan, but Drizzt needs to see what’s happening there. The dwarf army may not be necessary. The City of Spiders might already have fallen to the demons and their wicked prince. But even if that’s true, what’s to say the demons will stop there?

Maestro picks up where Archmage left off, plunging Drizzt into his most dangerous adventure yet, and with all the action, adventure, beloved characters, dark elves, monsters, and demon princes Drizzt fans adore."

source: amazon

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2015 :  13:13:14  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't picked up the last few books but I did read the last chapters of Archmage. The Realms Shaking Events keep coming it appears, this time we'll see a new Menzoberranzan in the wake of Demogorgon and the Primordial fighting it out. My predictions, a new ruling house when it's over (Oblodra?)..Dahlia will be saved and sacrifice herself to save Drizzt...Jarlaxle will come out on top, unscathed, with more power than ever.
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2015 :  14:07:02  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

I haven't picked up the last few books but I did read the last chapters of Archmage. The Realms Shaking Events keep coming it appears, this time we'll see a new Menzoberranzan in the wake of Demogorgon and the Primordial fighting it out. My predictions, a new ruling house when it's over (Oblodra?)..Dahlia will be saved and sacrifice herself to save Drizzt...Jarlaxle will come out on top, unscathed, with more power than ever.

I won't be happy with anything less than Gromph or Kimmuriel taking over Menzo. Jarlaxle coming out more powerful would just place him in the position Gromph was before Quenthel got Yvonnel's memories. Gromph has been running Menzo behind the scenes for years, but Lolth just swept that away from him. I want that meddlesome demon spider cast out of Menzo for good. If they INSIST on leaving the matriarchy unscathed (which would be idiotic, because it makes the whole RSE pointless), then I would like to see my girl Shakti Hunzrin sitting on top of the heap when it's all over.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2015 :  14:16:29  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten
I want that meddlesome demon spider cast out of Menzo for good.

I would enjoy that too. It wouldn't be the first time that the drow get rid of her hot, stinking breath on their necks. So (from an in-universe perspective) it would be not only entirely possible, but probable for the drow to finally give her the middle finger.

On the other hand, we already know that RAS doesn't have much freedom in deciding what happens and what doesn't.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2015 :  16:32:15  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone else getting sick of this whole, "plunging Drizzt into his most dangerous adventure yet" pitch? : I mean, I feel like we've read that at least a dozen times.
Go to Top of Page

Paran
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2015 :  17:41:54  Show Profile Send Paran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I predict lots of dwarf deaths when they attack Menzo.
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2015 :  18:30:59  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paran

I predict lots of dwarf deaths when they attack Menzo.

They should, they were close to losing at Q'Xorlarrin and the there were relatively few drow there who not even joined the battle in force.

On the other hand we don't know how badly Big D. mauled the Menzo and as always fortunes in war tend to drastically wax and wane according to an author's needs
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2015 :  18:51:42  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek
fortunes in war tend to drastically wax and wane according to an author's needs

This. If the author wants someone to win, they will, even if they are an insignificant commoner facing a balor all by themselves. Rules or logic are easily bent by what the author (or WotC) wants to happen.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2015 :  19:35:01  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nevermind the difficulty in moving an entire army through the Underdark which is often resource starved, and full of hazards.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2015 :  20:18:15  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm assuming that the "Maestro" title is a reference to Jarlaxle.

Given how Gromph faired in the previous book I wouldn't be surprised to see Jarlaxle getting slapped down in this book.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2015 :  20:53:46  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Nevermind the difficulty in moving an entire army through the Underdark which is often resource starved, and full of hazards.
Well, it's a dwarven army so they should have less issue with that than true surface dwellers
Go to Top of Page

Paran
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2015 :  00:14:45  Show Profile Send Paran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a feeling Cattie brie's gonna kill Gromph, based on that description. I wouldn't mind it unless Catti goes ''Unlimited Powaaahhh!'' on him. I hope Drizzt gets to kill Quenthel. Again.

Can Lolth lose power if believers abandon their faith? I don't see why anyone in Menzo would worship her when their city became a literal hell hole, and they're prey for demons 24/7.

Edited by - Paran on 11 Nov 2015 00:18:27
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2015 :  00:35:33  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know how much impact losing Menzo could have on Lolth. During the silence, she lost a lot of worshippers, who turned (mostly) to her two children. And yet, for some random reason, she emerged from that *drastically* more powerful than before. As already said, it is completely up to what the authors/WotC decide, no ''rule'' will ever get in the way of that. A huge number of drow should have abandoned her a long time ago, over 10000 years of history, because worshiping her is a really bad deal (and that's even for ''bad guys'' standard). The drow of Menzo will remain faithful to Lolth, unless WotC decides that it has to change, which they already stated won't happen (in various interviews).

Edited by - Irennan on 11 Nov 2015 00:38:01
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2015 :  00:59:07  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think 'Maestro' is kinda weird as a title; it seems un-Realms-like to me. Maybe it signals that this is the first in a line of musicals set in the Realms, with Driizt, Gromph & Lolth suddenly launching into an elaborate song & dance routine (think: Bollywood meets The Producers).

"Springtime for Quenthel", anyone?

A couple of predictions:
* Cattie + Gromph team up, persuade the Primordial to fight Demogorgon.

* House Oblodra deposes House Baenre, K'yorl returns & is First Matron of what is left of Menzo.

* Dahlia recovers her senses at a crucial moment, saves Drizzt & sacrifices herself (gets eaten by Demogorgon?). Or gets rescued by Entreri.

Edited by - BenN on 11 Nov 2015 00:59:41
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2015 :  01:05:54  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
House Baenre isn't going anywhere, it'd mess up the SCAG if they did.

The slums of Menz will get smashed up, for which the great houses couldn't give a fig, and few houses houses may fall, but in one form or another Baenre will remain on top.

Just my prediction.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2015 :  01:29:33  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenN

I think 'Maestro' is kinda weird as a title; it seems un-Realms-like to me. Maybe it signals that this is the first in a line of musicals set in the Realms, with Driizt, Gromph & Lolth suddenly launching into an elaborate song & dance routine (think: Bollywood meets The Producers).

"Springtime for Quenthel", anyone?

All that dancing, and no Eilistraee?

Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2015 :  02:08:42  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

I won't be happy with anything less than Gromph or Kimmuriel taking over Menzo. Jarlaxle coming out more powerful would just place him in the position Gromph was before Quenthel got Yvonnel's memories. Gromph has been running Menzo behind the scenes for years, but Lolth just swept that away from him. I want that meddlesome demon spider cast out of Menzo for good. If they INSIST on leaving the matriarchy unscathed (which would be idiotic, because it makes the whole RSE pointless), then I would like to see my girl Shakti Hunzrin sitting on top of the heap when it's all over.

Prepare to be disappointed then. WOTC flat out said the Matriarchy stays in power. Why they spoiled a series that has barely begun, I have no idea.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2015 :  02:40:36  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

House Baenre isn't going anywhere, it'd mess up the SCAG if they did.

The slums of Menz will get smashed up, for which the great houses couldn't give a fig, and few houses houses may fall, but in one form or another Baenre will remain on top.

Just my prediction.

Is SCAG supposed to stay relevant for all time? Am I missing something? Where did WotC say House Baere will rule Menzo for eternity and it will always be a Matriarchy? I agree I don't think it will change from this book, but I don't see how SCAG or anything out there invalidates people's theories here on the outcome of Maestro.
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2015 :  21:00:30  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Springtime for Quenthal".

/thread

>_>
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2015 :  22:16:37  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Baenre family has been a staple of Menzo and one of my favorites since reading about the old Matron Yvonnel Baenre. She reminded me of the Emperor from Star Wars and I loved it. With that said, I think we'd see Lolth's avatar show up before she let Menzo get destroyed. In one of RAS's books, it was noted that Lolth probably doesn't care much about the doings of Menzo with the exception of the First Matron Mother. Baenre has done a bang up job keeping the city in line for the last 5,000 years, but I could see Barrison Del'Armgo or even Faen Tlabbar doing the same if the Baenre were ever destroyed.

Provided they survived the horrific civil war that the death of the Baenre family would start

Edited by - Eilserus on 13 Nov 2015 22:17:34
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2015 :  22:25:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"his most dangerous adventure yet"

You know, whoever wrote that blurb should have come up with a better phrase than that... It sounds almost like the promo for an old radio show -- or for the Thomas the Tank Engine shows my 4 year old son used to love. I don't know how many promos I saw that had Thomas going on his biggest adventure yet, and the talking Thomas on the Ride With Thomas ride also said something about his biggest adventure yet.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2015 :  23:05:52  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It should be good, I believe it has been stated that he starts thinking he's losing his mind.
Go to Top of Page

Paran
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2015 :  17:44:36  Show Profile Send Paran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that was just marketing bluff to go along with the Rage of Demons CG trailer.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000