Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 favourite cahracter
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2009 :  07:50:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I had two problems with Jack Ravenwild, myself. One was his name -- just didn't seem all that Realms-ish to me. The other was the fact that once he's already up to his eyebrows in trouble, he doesn't think a thing about getting even deeper with still more stuff to worry about. That seemed a bit on the unrealistic side.

That said, I did enjoy that book.

My own feelings mirror Wooly's. I thoroughly enjoyed the book itself. But I found Jack to be something of an acquired taste, in terms of a main character.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2009 :  07:55:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

I've loved Elaith since the beginning, especially after reading about his past in The More Things Change. Also, the short story about him going after teh human with the moonblade from... Dragon, I think?
"Game of Chance" -- DRAGON #335
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

Hmm... is there actually a thread about a favorite villan?

Yes. You can find it here:- http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4746

Edited by - The Sage on 01 Aug 2009 07:56:15
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2009 :  08:00:29  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

I've loved Elaith since the beginning, especially after reading about his past in The More Things Change. Also, the short story about him going after the human with the moonblade from... Dragon, I think?
"Game of Chance" -- DRAGON #335

Ah yes, thank you!

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2009 :  15:50:29  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Danilo has grown on me quite a lot, but I think my personal favorite at the moment is Erevis Cale.

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Mr. Coyote
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2009 :  18:02:31  Show Profile  Visit Mr. Coyote's Homepage Send Mr. Coyote a Private Message  Reply with Quote
King Azoun IV from The Empires and Cormyr Trilorys
Go to Top of Page

Sermon Bath
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2009 :  18:43:32  Show Profile  Visit Sermon Bath's Homepage Send Sermon Bath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess my fav characters so far after only three novels would be
Drizzt's mom and the gnoll Dreeve (i haven't quite finished Twilight
Falling and hope he doesn't die but I'm afraid he will)
I also like Artemis a lot, better than Drizzt

"I am, therefore I eat"

Edited by - Sermon Bath on 13 Aug 2009 18:52:51
Go to Top of Page

gwalchavad
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  21:41:08  Show Profile  Visit gwalchavad's Homepage Send gwalchavad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well i voted Jarlaxyl, but

Cale, Jak, or Pikel Bouldershoulder is probly more like it
Go to Top of Page

Iluvrien
Acolyte

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  22:15:16  Show Profile  Visit Iluvrien's Homepage Send Iluvrien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well my true favourites weren't on there, so I voted for the next one... I think. One of the Chosen. In this case our own dear Ethena Astorma, Storm. (Although if Khelben was away from Waterdeep while not... well... you know then Laer is a seriously tempting prospect).

However my all time favourite, and this will not come as a surprise to either Lady Rin or Dagnirion, is Filfaeril Selzair Obarskyr. That's right, the Dragon Queen Fee is my all time favourite Realms character. Why? Because she has depth as a character married with what strikes me as a tenacity you could bend horseshoes around and a dry wit that would make Oscar Wilde sit up and take note.

...followed in second place by Laspeera Inthré. (and fourth goes either to the original Mystra (not Mystryl) or Alusair Nacacia Obarskyr)... What can I say? I like Cormyrean women.

Edited by - Iluvrien on 18 Aug 2009 22:17:19
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  22:21:19  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ode904

SO who's your favourite character in the Realms.

Irae T'Sarran - mad, bad and dangerous to know. Unfortunately for the Dales when my character finally met Irae, he killed his companions and declared his undying love for her. The halfling rogue was a third rate thief who made a first rate second course.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.

Edited by - Kiaransalyn on 18 Aug 2009 22:24:05
Go to Top of Page

geok1ng
Acolyte

Brazil
9 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2009 :  14:22:05  Show Profile  Visit geok1ng's Homepage Send geok1ng a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pharaun Mizzrym

It was cruel enough to kill him in the end of the war of the spider queen, but to bring him back from the dead in the Crystal Mountain only to die on a HALF-DRAGON/HALF-BUGBEAR lightning breath weapon to save the life of his son, the most bland and tasteless warrior ever. thats right: Pharaun Mizzrym is a warrrior, not a fighter...and a celestial one at that.

every single line of Pharaun Mizzrym dialogues were genial. the guy killed woman after woman for pity and to keep his promises to them. "promise me you will kill me" ROFL!!!!
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2009 :  17:28:45  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by geok1ng

Pharaun Mizzrym

It was cruel enough to kill him in the end of the war of the spider queen, but to bring him back from the dead in the Crystal Mountain only to die on a HALF-DRAGON/HALF-BUGBEAR lightning breath weapon to save the life of his son, the most bland and tasteless warrior ever. thats right: Pharaun Mizzrym is a warrrior, not a fighter...and a celestial one at that.

every single line of Pharaun Mizzrym dialogues were genial. the guy killed woman after woman for pity and to keep his promises to them. "promise me you will kill me" ROFL!!!!

could you leave a spoiler alert next time.i didnt know what happened to him in the new trilogy.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2009 :  00:14:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's actually a good point since, sometimes, discussion about current events for characters featured in trilogies being printed at the moment, could come up in this scroll.

I'll make the necessary changes to the scroll's title.

Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2009 :  10:01:50  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd have picked Pharaun Mizzrym from War of the Spider Queen because he's a wonderful cheeky bastard, followed closely by Artemis Entrerei (sp?) because he;s a badass. However, my FR novel reading is extremely limited.

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Lord Necro
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2009 :  22:25:32  Show Profile  Visit Lord Necro's Homepage Send Lord Necro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wanted to choose Galaeron Nihmedu, but sadly, he's not there..

So I chose Arilyn instead!

"Time? time has no meaning to the dead..." ~ Necro Lazerus, Male Moon Elven Shade/Lich.
"Life is but a cloak we wear fleetingly.." ~ Etrius Lazerus, Male Moon Elven Shade.
Go to Top of Page

draethe
Acolyte

Australia
12 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2009 :  02:22:13  Show Profile  Visit draethe's Homepage Send draethe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is too hard a question. Its way to hard to order them as they are all timeless in their own way.

Drizzt was my first favourite so i will go with him. Then Jarlaxle, Cale, Elminster, Liriel, Pharaun, Entreri, Pwent, Riven, Khelbun Simbul, and 101 others.
Go to Top of Page

MrsDrasek
Acolyte

26 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2009 :  00:27:39  Show Profile  Visit MrsDrasek's Homepage Send MrsDrasek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted Drizzt but he actually would be like 5th on my list.

Riven, Cale would be first, yes both of them.

Part Well...Regret Nothing
Go to Top of Page

Nilonim
Acolyte

16 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2009 :  16:40:25  Show Profile  Visit Nilonim's Homepage Send Nilonim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I vote Giogioni Wyvernspur and my second choose is Thyco from "The Tellow Silk"
Go to Top of Page

freeman_12
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2010 :  01:00:35  Show Profile  Visit freeman_12's Homepage Send freeman_12 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the reason drizzt received very few votes is because of the depth in which he is described, its not that we all don't love him, or relate, its that there's no mystery to him, he is so set in stone that anyone could predict him. love drizzt! probably the most profound fantasy character ever created, but my vote goes to jarlaxle, his life def. has more turns to take, surprises to show, blah blah blah, it seems to me that he is a character who can match and/or beat anyone in FN not because he dedicates his life to any one course, as his opponents, but he does it at a whim, whatever he feels like doing. i love that about his character, unlike most main characters, he doesn't owe any alignment.

BeN
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2010 :  10:34:49  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for Liriel, but my all-time favourite would be Pharaun...

quote:
Originally posted by geok1ng

Pharaun Mizzrym

What??? Myshik killed Pharaun?!

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/

Edited by - Zireael on 15 Apr 2010 12:59:27
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2010 :  19:34:11  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for Elminster, but here is my own list, 1 being my most fave.

1. Telamont Tanthul (I hope his appearance after the Twilight War will be more on the spotlight. It was good of Paul S. Kemp to give him a little bit of actual action in the series (as opposed to just commanding his sons and minions)...caging the archdevil Mephistopheles and not suffering much in doing so.)

2. Szass Tam (Someone has to challenge him after the Haunted Lands. Maybe Rashemen. Rashemen has always been in the defensive. Why not attack Thay? Byers said (in Unclean)that Rashemi witches are just traffickers of spirits, while the Red Wizards possess sophisticated magic. Well, the Red Wizards haven't yet managed to conquer Rashemen, so whether just spirit traffickers or more, the Rashemi are undeniably powerful enough to challenge Thay's sole ruler.)

3. Rivalen Tanthul (I like him since The Return of the Archwizards Trilogy and like him more in the Twilight War. I wonder, though, since he now possesses a portion of Mask's divinity, will he be confident (or arrogant enough) to try to dethrone his own father?)

4. Melagaunt Tanthul

5. Elminster

6. Karsus

7. Gromph Baenre

8. Lallara Mediocros

9. Pharaun Mizzrym

10. Liriel Baenre

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2010 :  21:53:34  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In no particular order:

Drasek Riven
Erevis Cale
Elaith Craulnober
Danilo Thann
Elminster
Halaster
Geran Hulmaster
Araevin Teshurr
Fflar Starbrow
Semmemon
Khelben Arunsun
Caladorn Cassalanter
Ryld Argith
Go to Top of Page

R0GUE
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  00:46:39  Show Profile  Visit R0GUE's Homepage Send R0GUE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always loved Storm Silverhand the most. I am sad to see the Seven Sisters aren't even pulling their own weight.

You have had your pocket pilfered by the R0GUE.
Go to Top of Page

TheRatBeard
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2010 :  17:52:35  Show Profile  Visit TheRatBeard's Homepage Send TheRatBeard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't pick because my favorite was not on here. My favorite is Daryth from the Moonshae Trilogy.

"Come if ye will
To the orgy within,
But first ye must find the latch!
Seen and not seen,
Been yet not been
And a handle that flesh cannot catch."
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2012 :  15:06:12  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow so Jaraxle is more popular than Drizzt. Frankly i would have voted for Riven . Too bad there is no option to vote for Other.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2012 :  16:26:55  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Giogioni Wyvernspur, The Simbul, Kimmuriel Oblodra, Robillard, Tarl (from Pool of Radiance)

Easy.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2012 :  16:48:08  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Artemis Entreri!

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2012 :  19:44:00  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite character on the list is Elminster, I just like old witty wizards...

My favorite character of the Forgotten Realms though would have to be Manshoon...again a wizard.

However, I don't like the fate given to him by WotC; and prefer the immensely intelligent and gifted Manshoon who is the leader of the Zhentarim as of the Grey Box...someone who is a true criminal and magical mastermind. Always a step ahead of his competition and rarely if ever caught off guard by the plots of others.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2012 :  19:55:16  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

My favorite character on the list is Elminster, I just like old witty wizards...

My favorite character of the Forgotten Realms though would have to be Manshoon...again a wizard.

However, I don't like the fate given to him by WotC; and prefer the immensely intelligent and gifted Manshoon who is the leader of the Zhentarim as of the Grey Box...someone who is a true criminal and magical mastermind. Always a step ahead of his competition and rarely if ever caught off guard by the plots of others.

I agree with you on this. I loved the Manshoon of the old days, but WOTC ruined that character through the years.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2012 :  13:02:55  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Top five for me: Entreri, Khelben, Riven, Danilo, and then...um...I'll leave the fifth spot open cos there are a few candidates I could toss in there. None of them are Drizzt though.
Go to Top of Page

BioZach
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2012 :  01:56:47  Show Profile Send BioZach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite has to go to Artemis Entreri, even though he started off as just some job security for Salvatore, he became surprisingly deep and profoundly dynamic in further Dark Elf installments.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000