Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Eric L Boyd
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 46

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2006 :  21:41:19  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I have no problems if there isn't a specific order. The player in my campaign (my daughter' character) is a half-ogre monk that was taught by a kindly monk that found her in the wilderness in the Stonelands, and she ended up becoming a monk and a follower of Helm, and eventually joinded the Everwatch Knights. I was just wondering if there ever was a specific Helmite order of Monks, Canonically speaking. Emen herself (the monk) isn't so much the ambitious type, but rather tends to do as higher ranking members of the church direct her.

"Because philosophy arises from awe, a philosopher is bound in his way to be a lover of myths and poetic fables. Poets and philosophers are alike in being big with wonder."--Saint Thomas Aquinas

http://knighterrantjr.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2006 :  21:51:23  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I only wrote one of the web enhancements for F&P .. the one detailing the temple of Oghma in Highmoon.

Without critiquing any other author's contributions to the Realms, my personal opinion (emphasis on personal) is there have been three categorical statements regarding the gods and faiths of the Realms that should not have been made. I blithely ignore them at will in my turnovers and most have snuck through the editing process. ;-)

Things I would not create (and hence ignore):

1) A definitive list of gods with druid and ranger servants.
2) A definitive list of monk and paladin orders.
3) A definitive list of gods.

All three constrain the creativity of future authors and gamers, which violates one of the design principles of 3e, IMO.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2006 :  22:02:29  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fair enough Eric . . . I like that thought process myself . . . you never know when a heretofore unknown abbey or monestary might have been lurking in the wilderness. Thanks!

"Because philosophy arises from awe, a philosopher is bound in his way to be a lover of myths and poetic fables. Poets and philosophers are alike in being big with wonder."--Saint Thomas Aquinas

Go to Top of Page

Bocklin
Learned Scribe

Germany
151 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2006 :  08:58:51  Show Profile Send Bocklin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd
Thanks!

You should see at least 2 Realms products with my name on them in 2006.

Thanks a lot for your reply, Eric. So now I know that I can freely use that paragraph of Lathander's entry for my campaign without fear of having an official product come out and contradict what I have been doing out of it (I am one of those who like to stick to the published Realms as much as possible).

I already knew of your work on "Powers of Faerūn", but did not know that you were working on another one. That's good news.

Is it a WotC product ("Dragons of the Realms", maybe?) or the Paizo FR compendium?

Bocklin, trying to be sneaky

Edited by - Bocklin on 05 Jan 2006 09:00:55
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2879 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2006 :  23:35:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eric, a question on Power of Faerun for you...

I realize this is probably(very likely) still covered by NDA, but are there any prestige classes in the product, and if so, are any of them suitable for characters just with levels in NPC classes, like the exemplar in Complete Adventurer? I can see some really interesting design space here, and I'm just wondering if you touched upon on it or not. Yes or no answer would be great.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2006 :  03:14:59  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Eric, a question on Power of Faerun for you...

I realize this is probably(very likely) still covered by NDA, but are there any prestige classes in the product, and if so, are any of them suitable for characters just with levels in NPC classes, like the exemplar in Complete Adventurer? I can see some really interesting design space here, and I'm just wondering if you touched upon on it or not. Yes or no answer would be great.

Sorry NDA. My policy is to leave it to Wizards to decide when to do spoilers, no matter how trivial.

In general, I think this book is exploring some new territory for a Realms product. That makes it a little riskier, but with lots of potential to surprise (I'm hoping).

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2006 :  05:57:25  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you would have updated the stats of Aurora in CoS, what would have you done ?

I read for the first time the Aurora's emporium entry in C&D, and I got the idea that it could make a nice target for my "shadow thieves agents" PCs.

Edited by - Skeptic on 15 Jan 2006 05:57:44
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2006 :  14:12:27  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My thanks, Eric, for all the great lore you have provided over the years! My favorite is still 'Faiths & Avatars' which is the most referenced book in my gaming group (we tend to take our religions seriously ;)

I also wish to thank you for the 'City of Splendors' on behalf of our DM - he said it contains marvelous stuff! And he was pleased that you did not only "update" existing lore or NPCs, but also included a lot of new stuff.

And I hear we are going to be playing those Dungeon adventures you've written in the near future

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2006 :  19:12:58  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

My thanks, Eric, for all the great lore you have provided over the years! My favorite is still 'Faiths & Avatars' which is the most referenced book in my gaming group (we tend to take our religions seriously ;)

I also wish to thank you for the 'City of Splendors' on behalf of our DM - he said it contains marvelous stuff! And he was pleased that you did not only "update" existing lore or NPCs, but also included a lot of new stuff.

And I hear we are going to be playing those Dungeon adventures you've written in the near future

Glad to be of service.

I hope you enjoy the adventures. Please let me know how it goes!

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2006 :  00:17:22  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye, Eric, I will

At the moment our characters are too busy with the Sythillisian forces in Amn, but I guess that once we return to Waterdeep to catch our breath...

Sage Schend redirected me to you with my questions concerning the Fey'ri. Is my memory serving me correctly, since I seem to recall that some of the Fey'ri (members of House Floshin?) were not originally imprisoned, but kept a low profile in hiding, slowly breeding and growing in numbers?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2006 :  00:19:23  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric, I posted these queries on Ed's scroll, but you may be better able to answer from a rules perspective: Does Oghma have Chosen on Toril? What special attributes do they have as Chosen? What character classes are His Chosen? Are any of them potted plants?

I also have a cross-setting domain question for you: in Scarn ("the Scarred Lands" campaign setting from White Wolf), the demi-goddess Drendari is the sole possessor of the clerical domain of Shadows (which has nothing to do with the Shadow Weave). If a cleric with access to that domain came to Toril, who would be the likeliest deity to grant patronage to the cleric? Shar? Mask? Someone else?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2006 :  00:27:33  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Eric, I posted these queries on Ed's scroll, but you may be better able to answer from a rules perspective: Does Oghma have Chosen on Toril? What special attributes do they have as Chosen? What character classes are His Chosen? Are any of them potted plants?
I can answer part of this. Oghma does in fact have a "Divine Champion" (as opposed to the title of Chosen since I believe that should only apply to those blessed with Mystra's Gift) in the form of Sephris Dwendon.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2006 :  00:56:26  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I also have a cross-setting domain question for you: in Scarn ("the Scarred Lands" campaign setting from White Wolf), the demi-goddess Drendari is the sole possessor of the clerical domain of Shadows (which has nothing to do with the Shadow Weave). If a cleric with access to that domain came to Toril, who would be the likeliest deity to grant patronage to the cleric? Shar? Mask? Someone else?

Mask would since he has Shadows, according to Faiths & Avatars.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2006 :  00:58:55  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I can answer part of this. Oghma does in fact have a "Divine Champion" (as opposed to the title of Chosen since I believe that should only apply to those blessed with Mystra's Gift) in the form of Sephris Dwendon.

Mercy buckets. Now, who, pray tell, is Sephris Dwendon? (I.e., where may I find more information on him/her? Is he one of the iconic sample characters or a figure from the literature?) I take it that Sepharis isn't a potted plant, though, right?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2006 :  01:02:55  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He appeared in Twilight Falling... but is now deceased.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2006 :  01:05:01  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So there's a job opening, hmmm?

It will take me a while to buy Twilight Falling, so are there any other Oghmaite Divine Champions I may look up? (BTW, is Sephris in only the first book in the trilogy? I looked at some sample pages on Amazon.com, and Sephris seems like an interesting fellow.)

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 17 Jan 2006 01:26:22
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2006 :  04:19:36  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo KreenIt will take me a while to buy Twilight Falling, so are there any other Oghmaite Divine Champions I may look up?
Not that I recall. Dwendon is the only recent Chosen for Oghma mentioned...

Edited by - The Sage on 17 Jan 2006 04:20:40
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2006 :  05:44:01  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Spoiler for the Erevis Cale-trilogy, highlight to read:
To put it more correctly, he was deceased.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2006 :  01:47:31  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:

Spoiler for the Erevis Cale-trilogy, highlight to read:
To put it more correctly, he was deceased.

Ohhhhhh.... Oh!

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2006 :  04:19:19  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Oh, I have no problems if there isn't a specific order. The player in my campaign (my daughter' character) is a half-ogre monk that was taught by a kindly monk that found her in the wilderness in the Stonelands, and she ended up becoming a monk and a follower of Helm, and eventually joinded the Everwatch Knights. I was just wondering if there ever was a specific Helmite order of Monks, Canonically speaking. Emen herself (the monk) isn't so much the ambitious type, but rather tends to do as higher ranking members of the church direct her.

Would 'Vigilant Fist(s)' qualify as a name? Or 'Order of the Watchful Hand'?

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2006 :  20:41:13  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Eric,

Edit : I changed my post after re-reading Dungeon #126 aventure.

About the Dungeon of the Crypt/Fireplace level and Artor.

I'm don't understand that with Fhang appearing as him while they are so many peoples going into this dungeon that no nobody knows that he's still there (survived and back from the fight with the crazed venturers). Maybe because Fhang appear as a normal-living thetyrian "noble" ?

As discussed in another thread, my PCs know that the Unseen use the Dugeon as a meeting/safe place, but I told them nothing about the "Vampiric part" yet.

Edited by - Skeptic on 20 Jan 2006 21:35:17
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2006 :  20:58:30  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric- Hey I have a couple of Age of Worms Questions for you:

I am thinking about running the AoW in the area of Chessenta/Chondath area just because I think it fits in better with the gladiatorial theme/general alignment of the area than the north.

Now that being said: I was thinking about using three of the dead gods of the Untheric pantheon in place of Bhaal, Myrkul and Bane.

One of these would be Gllgeam of course, but I don't know enough about the other dead gods of Unther. Where can I find more info on them and their domains etc... Should I pull out my old 1ed Deities and Demigods and look under the Sumerian pantheon or is it bablyonian :)

Anyways, also, I'm thinking I could probably use Kyuss as is, but if I wanted to trade him in for Moander where can I find more info on that deity as well.

I think that the history of the area with Gilgeam will really add some dramatic tension to the ebon triad aspect of the adventure.

I am going to use Cimbar as the 'Free City', any suggestions for Ahlaster in that area?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30283 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2006 :  23:15:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Octa

Eric- Hey I have a couple of Age of Worms Questions for you:

I am thinking about running the AoW in the area of Chessenta/Chondath area just because I think it fits in better with the gladiatorial theme/general alignment of the area than the north.

Now that being said: I was thinking about using three of the dead gods of the Untheric pantheon in place of Bhaal, Myrkul and Bane.

One of these would be Gllgeam of course, but I don't know enough about the other dead gods of Unther. Where can I find more info on them and their domains etc... Should I pull out my old 1ed Deities and Demigods and look under the Sumerian pantheon or is it bablyonian :)

Anyways, also, I'm thinking I could probably use Kyuss as is, but if I wanted to trade him in for Moander where can I find more info on that deity as well.

I think that the history of the area with Gilgeam will really add some dramatic tension to the ebon triad aspect of the adventure.

I am going to use Cimbar as the 'Free City', any suggestions for Ahlaster in that area?

What you want is two of the three deity books from 2nd edition: Faiths & Avatars, and Powers & Pantheons. (Demihuman Deities is the third one.) Those three books offer a wealth of information; I consider them required resources for anything that involves deities.

Faiths & Avatars details Moander, while the Untheric pantheon is detailed in Powers & Pantheons.

As 2nd edition books, they are long out of print -- but I see them pop up on eBay pretty often. I know other scribes have used other websites to obtain older material -- NobleKnight.com being the one that comes most readily to mind. And all three books are available for download on the Paizo site, for a mere $4 a piece.

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 20 Jan 2006 23:18:06
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2006 :  00:16:47  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Octa,

Why not use Velsharoon to replace Kyuss? I think Moander is more associated with decay and rot in plants and nature, than undead. Velsharoon was once mortal, just like Kyuss, and both are liches...

On the other hand, perhaps Velsharoon has come up with a divine ritual to tap into some of Moander's essence (assuming that Finder did not absorb all of it ;) and becoming stronger in the process?

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2006 :  00:53:28  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a tendancy not to substitute Velsharoon for a lot simply because he hasn't been a god for very long, and a lot of what comes up in the Age of Worms is stuff the Kyuss did long ago when he first ascended to godhood.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 46 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000