Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Eric L Boyd
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 46

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2007 :  21:28:41  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Octa

Eric- Has the Tree Gem given to Gareth Dragonsbane ever been statted out. Does it just block demons or does it also block Evil Dragons as well?

I don't believe it's been statted out, but you could doublecheck H4 and FR9. (Last of the Bloodstone modules and the Bloodstone Lands sourcebook.)

AFAIK, it blocks demons, not dragons, but I haven't looked in a while.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2007 :  02:46:12  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Wikipedia was apparently where I know that I saw a date which marked the earliest possible boundary of the Ebon Triad's ascension: -339 DR, because Jergal was still a greater god then. (snip)
There was also some further speculation on Bane's ascension in your original query scroll.

We're also likely to learn a little more about the Three -- possibly in the upcoming Grand History.

Thank you, Sage. I had completely forgotten the discussion there.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2007 :  13:46:23  Show Profile  Click to see Foxhelm's MSN Messenger address  Send Foxhelm a Yahoo! Message Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a few questions about Fey'ri, and I am asking you as a consultant who has experiences with this topic:

From what is shown in much of the third/third point five edition of the Fey'ri, it seems that a large number of succubi were involved with the processes of the fey'ri creation.

My question is did the elves of these families make deals with any Demon Princes for access to a large number of these and other demons? If so, which ones? If it was just succubi or their linked demons, I could see Malcanthet or Graz'zt being involved.

Also if there is a Demon Prince was involved, could these Greater evils kept some of the demon-tainted elves for their own personal use? Or even have spawned some family lines of Fey'ri that could be reflected in their appearance?

I have an idea for a fey'ri who is in the process of being redeemed by the love of a compassionate Celadrin, but I am trying to brew up a background for her. Perhaps something unique as forshadowing her unique position.

Thanks for trying to help me and all of the others. I hope I haven't taken up much of your time needed for work.

Foxhelm

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2007 :  14:21:49  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

I have a few questions about Fey'ri, and I am asking you as a consultant who has experiences with this topic:

Hey! I invented the fey'ri! ;-)

Look at the write-up of House Dlardrageth in Cloak & Dagger [2e] for the most extensive backstory on the fey'ri.

quote:
From what is shown in much of the third/third point five edition of the Fey'ri, it seems that a large number of succubi were involved with the processes of the fey'ri creation.

I think I actually wrote succubi and incubi. Note there's now a 3.5e version of the incubi different from a "male succubus" in the Dragon write-up of Malcanthet. If that had been around when I wrote that part of C&D, I would have referred to that.

quote:
My question is did the elves of these families make deals with any Demon Princes for access to a large number of these and other demons? If so, which ones? If it was just succubi or their linked demons, I could see Malcanthet or Graz'zt being involved.

Very interesting question and not one that I've ever thought about. What you say makes a lot of sense. I'd probably vote for Malcanthet or possibly one of her rivals (Shami-Amourae or L....). I like my idea for Graz'zt that I put in the recent Volo article in Dragon.

quote:
Also if there is a Demon Prince was involved, could these Greater evils kept some of the demon-tainted elves for their own personal use?

Sure. That's not where I was going with the story, but that's a fine variation for a campaign.

quote:
Or even have spawned some family lines of Fey'ri that could be reflected in their appearance?

Ditto.

quote:
I have an idea for a fey'ri who is in the process of being redeemed by the love of a compassionate Celadrin, but I am trying to brew up a background for her. Perhaps something unique as forshadowing her unique position.

Sounds intriguing!

quote:
Thanks for trying to help me and all of the others. I hope I haven't taken up much of your time needed for work.

Foxhelm

Glad to help.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

FireKnife
Seeker

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2007 :  22:43:40  Show Profile  Visit FireKnife's Homepage Send FireKnife a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric afew questions for you about the we for Dragons of Faerun. Are shadow draconic drow strictly female? The Shadow City Chaul'mur'ssin still in the shadow plane, is it still populated by the church of Vhaeraun? In Jaezred Chaulssin are half- shadow dragon drow favored over shadow draconic drow. Where is the city of Jhachalkhyn located? Is it ruled over like Menzoberranzan? Also your write up on Nimor differs from Rich Bakers is this to reflect his loss of status.? He lost his frost burst rapier, arms of Jaezred Chaulssin and I believe a couple of other items.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2007 :  01:59:10  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FireKnife

Eric afew questions for you about the we for Dragons of Faerun. Are shadow draconic drow strictly female?

No. However, those in the harems are.

quote:
The Shadow City Chaul'mur'ssin still in the shadow plane, is it still populated by the church of Vhaeraun?

Not sure I follow. The Shadow City is inhabited by shadow draconic drow dominated by the Church of Vhaerun.

quote:
In Jaezred Chaulssin are half- shadow dragon drow favored over shadow draconic drow.

Yes.

quote:
Where is the city of Jhachalkhyn located?

Under Neverwinter Woods.

quote:
Is it ruled over like Menzoberranzan?

Yes.

quote:
Also your write up on Nimor differs from Rich Bakers is this to reflect his loss of status.? He lost his frost burst rapier, arms of Jaezred Chaulssin and I believe a couple of other items.

Yes.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

FireKnife
Seeker

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2007 :  04:40:25  Show Profile  Visit FireKnife's Homepage Send FireKnife a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I mean is the city of Chaul'mur'ssin is a different city than Chaulssin? The Jaezred Chaulssin populated Chaulssin again to avoid war with the clergy of Vhaerun back in Chaul'mur'ssin correct? Great write up. The write ups for shadow draconic drow and half-shadow dragon drow were great for game play. Another question, shadow draconic drow could hold positions of velve even though thier half blooded kin are favored over them? Thanks for the reply.

Edited by - FireKnife on 13 May 2007 07:16:43
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2007 :  14:36:35  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What I mean is the city of Chaul'mur'ssin is a different city than Chaulssin?

Yes.

quote:
The Jaezred Chaulssin populated Chaulssin again to avoid war with the clergy of Vhaerun back in Chaul'mur'ssin correct?

Yes.

quote:
Great write up. The write ups for shadow draconic drow and half-shadow dragon drow were great for game play.

Thanks!

quote:
Another question, shadow draconic drow could hold positions of velve even though thier half blooded kin are favored over them?

Yes, but rarely. They just can't advance to the rank of Patron Father, since they can't become drow-dragons.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

FireKnife
Seeker

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2007 :  15:22:36  Show Profile  Visit FireKnife's Homepage Send FireKnife a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies. Great work again. Sorry for so many questions but I was really looking forward to this web enhancement.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5399 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2007 :  16:48:47  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Eric, I just wanted to pick your brain about kind of an extreem example that I thought might be fun to use in a campaign.

Do you think that there would be anything wrong with a small cult of Astaroth gaining spells if their divine casters had both Servant of the Fallen and Thrall to Demon, or does Astaroth have to be present, alive, and able to "ethrall" those taking the Thrall to demon feat?

Thanks.

"Because philosophy arises from awe, a philosopher is bound in his way to be a lover of myths and poetic fables. Poets and philosophers are alike in being big with wonder."--Saint Thomas Aquinas

http://knighterrantjr.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2007 :  19:39:16  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Hey Eric, I just wanted to pick your brain about kind of an extreem example that I thought might be fun to use in a campaign.

Do you think that there would be anything wrong with a small cult of Astaroth gaining spells if their divine casters had both Servant of the Fallen and Thrall to Demon, or does Astaroth have to be present, alive, and able to "ethrall" those taking the Thrall to demon feat?

Thanks.

I don't think it's fair to make them burn 2 feats. I'd probably allow them to take Servant of the Fallen or take a "Servant of the Fallen Demon" that hybridizes the two.

You could also go the vestige route ...

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5399 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2007 :  04:34:38  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are right . . . two feats does tend to really limit their choices, especially when, as NPCs, the benefits of both (beyond being able to cast divine spells) really don't do much to enhance the encounter from the DMs point of view. I'll likely just go with "Servant of the Fallen," and assume whatever insane book of prophesy they read from is enough to "bind" them to Astaroth and what's left of his power.

A vestige of Astaroth you say? That is a really interesting idea. Thanks Eric.

"Because philosophy arises from awe, a philosopher is bound in his way to be a lover of myths and poetic fables. Poets and philosophers are alike in being big with wonder."--Saint Thomas Aquinas

Go to Top of Page

FireKnife
Seeker

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2007 :  00:24:33  Show Profile  Visit FireKnife's Homepage Send FireKnife a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quick question for you, what would the racial ability score bonuses be for a quagoth?
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2007 :  10:08:01  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quick question for you, what would the racial ability score bonuses be for a quagoth?

Look at the entry in Monsters of Faerun (if you have it), subtract "10" from the even numbers. Subtract "11" from the odd numbers. The results are the racial ability mods for a straight monster (assuming it its not advanced, has no class levels, etc.).

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2007 :  11:33:27  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The quaggoth have been "updated" in the new Drow of the Underdark book. They also received a number of sample "characters". Have not double-checked whether the scores de-/increased, the LA has been given as +2.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

G a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faern, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

FireKnife
Seeker

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2007 :  05:56:18  Show Profile  Visit FireKnife's Homepage Send FireKnife a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2007 :  20:47:16  Show Profile  Click to see Foxhelm's MSN Messenger address  Send Foxhelm a Yahoo! Message Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's an interesting question:

A Relic holder (from Powers of Faerun's Chapter on Religious Leaders) gains a bonus to Leadership Plus One. What kind of bonus to Leadership would be gained by being a creator of a relic (since froim Complete Divine, a relic can be a normal magical item with some special diety related powers)? Would it be a Plus Two bonus to leadership? Or would it be more than that since the relic may last longer then the item crafter and help expand the faith?

Thanks,

Foxhelm

Additional: What kind of effect would having intimate relations with a deity have on leadership? Or being a child of a deity? Or being a choosen of the Deity (which must be higher than being a archbishop of the faith)?

Just some more questions on my mind. Any answers will be welcomed.

Foxhelm again!

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!

Edited by - Foxhelm on 29 May 2007 21:51:59
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29646 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2007 :  01:54:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric, a few months ago, I managed to lay hands on some old issues of Polyhedron. In issues 125 and 126, you wrote about Tulrun of the Tent. However, in issue 126, there appears to be some missing text. There's a big illustration which I believe caused some of the text to be either dropped or obscured, instead. On page 25 of issue 126, under Abode, the last line before the illustration is "There is even an armory, drill room, and small hunting". The next column resumes with "them to Waterdeep." It appears to be part of an adventure hook.

Can you supply the lost text, and/or do you know where I might find it?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

BOZ
Seeker

15 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2007 :  19:17:42  Show Profile  Visit BOZ's Homepage Send BOZ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i would also cross-reference to Wooley's latest post in this thread, for my own personal reasons: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8518&whichpage=38 :)

http://www.geocities.com/kbozman74/BOZ.html
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5399 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2007 :  21:26:44  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

Thanks.

I don't think it's fair to make them burn 2 feats. I'd probably allow them to take Servant of the Fallen or take a "Servant of the Fallen Demon" that hybridizes the two.

You could also go the vestige route ...

--Eric

You have one hell of an internet poker face Eric . . .

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2007 :  23:23:53  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You have one hell of an internet poker face Eric . . .

;-)

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2007 :  23:27:20  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BOZ

i would also cross-reference to Wooley's latest post in this thread, for my own personal reasons: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8518&whichpage=38 :)

Arlgolcheir is Ed's creation. I expended on his Realmslore a tiny bit in Dungeon #148.

What's the question?

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2007 :  23:36:59  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Eric, a few months ago, I managed to lay hands on some old issues of Polyhedron. In issues 125 and 126, you wrote about Tulrun of the Tent. However, in issue 126, there appears to be some missing text. There's a big illustration which I believe caused some of the text to be either dropped or obscured, instead. On page 25 of issue 126, under Abode, the last line before the illustration is "There is even an armory, drill room, and small hunting". The next column resumes with "them to Waterdeep." It appears to be part of an adventure hook.

Can you supply the lost text, and/or do you know where I might find it?

Yeah, there is lost text. I can't find my electronic copy at the moment. (It may be old enough that it's on my 12-year-old Mac in an incompatible format.) George might have a copy. George?

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4718 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2007 :  13:16:39  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That Tulrun article was published before I "knew you", Eric m'boy. Looks like you'll have to dig through that old Mac.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

BOZ
Seeker

15 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2007 :  15:19:27  Show Profile  Visit BOZ's Homepage Send BOZ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by BOZ

Arlgolcheir is Ed's creation. I expended on his Realmslore a tiny bit in Dungeon #148.

What's the question?

--Eric

oh, i have to phrase my answer in the form of a question? ;) *looks at thread title* ah, i see. :)

I was wondering, did Ed give you any more details about this obscure fellow or did you add all the scant details we now know about him? (yes, now we know what happened to him when before all we knew was who destroyed him!)

http://www.geocities.com/kbozman74/BOZ.html

Edited by - BOZ on 06 Jun 2007 15:20:20
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 46  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000