Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Eric L Boyd
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 46

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  18:44:43  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric- That makes more sense, I guess the key is to split the population up properly between Thorps, Villages, etc... If I come up with a usefull chart or something I'll send it along.

Have you ever used the book: The Magical Medievel Society by some non-WoTC publisher, and would you recommend it or give it a thumbs down.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  23:12:56  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've only skimmed it, but it looked interesting. Ed or Steven have read it, IIRC.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3291 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  23:37:42  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd also recommend Gary Gygax's Living Fantasy, which covers some similar ground. Neither is directly applicable to the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

maelstrom58
Seeker

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2007 :  23:18:58  Show Profile  Visit maelstrom58's Homepage Send maelstrom58 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Eric! First I'd like to say that the work you have done on too many Realms products to mention is terrific; keep up the good work!

Because you've already told me that you really fleshed out Lapaliiya for Serpent Kingdoms, I would like to start the first in a long series of questions.

First off, what does Lapaliiya really look like? I always imagine the nation as a virtual wilderness of scattered jungle once you get away from the cities and the plantations clustered around them, because I see the various cities as too militarily weak to really patrol outside their individual bounds. I would really appreciate it if you could provide me with a real-world analogy of the terrain, if it's at all possible.

Thanks,
Maelstrom
Go to Top of Page

turox
Learned Scribe

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2007 :  19:07:27  Show Profile  Visit turox's Homepage Send turox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Eric just wanted to let you know that I picked up Dragon 354 yesterday and the timeline in it was amazing. Thanks for helping get us caught up to speed and straightened out. The only downside is that now you can't hang out in the Old Skull Inn. I was going to buy you a drink the next time you were there but I guess now we will have to go somewhere else. (Really got a kick of that little "note" at the end of the article.) Let us know if you would like for us to create a webpoll to get you reinstated back in the Old Skull Inn. I'm sure that we would be happy to try and make that happen. (or at least I will.)

Turox Antas Dragonslayer -
"People will believe anything they want to believe, or fear to believe."
Wizard's First Rule: Chapter 36, Page #397, US Hard Cover (revealed by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander).
Explanation by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander: "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2007 :  19:36:36  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

quote:
Originally posted by Octa

An answer first:

Jamallo: a +4 aberration bane weapon will get you up to epic, since the added +2 from the bane weapon ability is an enhancement bonus.

Bane is a +1 ability, not +2. Holy and Unholy are +2.



I've been so swamped with spam recently that I've missed the past few weeks of updates here. Thanks to all who've replied to my questions.

Purple Dragon Knight, my original question was about a Dread weapon, which is +4 versus ______.

I thought I had posted a question about Kyuss's "type," but I think it failed to transmit. He is listed in Dungeon as an aberration, but is he also an Outsider (presumably "native")? With a cost running into the hundreds of thousands, if not millions, one would want to make sure that one's Dread weapon would work on more than just one bugger-all powerful evil entity. It would be disheartening, to say the least, if one created a +5 Keen Outsider Dread Longsword and then discovered that it was largely ineffective against Kyuss! I can't imagine that any player would think it necessary to create +5 Keen Aberration Dread Longsword unless they were planning on fighting hideous, unspeakable entities from the Far Realm; I mean, who'd think of a god as an aberration rather than an outsider, and why would one waste huge sums of money to make a Dread weapon if one only planned to use it on beholders and illithids and other such easily-overcome-by-high-level-parties monsters?

(Next week I should finally have the complete set of Dungeon magazines 124 through 136, so I'll have fewer "obvious" questions about the AoW. With two more "Wormfood" Dragon Magazines to get, I'll have a full set of the published material, so that leads to what I suspect will be an inevitability: is Wizards planning to publish a book version of AoW?)


I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.


Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2007 :  20:21:20  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by turox

Hey Eric just wanted to let you know that I picked up Dragon 354 yesterday and the timeline in it was amazing. Thanks for helping get us caught up to speed and straightened out. The only downside is that now you can't hang out in the Old Skull Inn. I was going to buy you a drink the next time you were there but I guess now we will have to go somewhere else. (Really got a kick of that little "note" at the end of the article.) Let us know if you would like for us to create a webpoll to get you reinstated back in the Old Skull Inn. I'm sure that we would be happy to try and make that happen. (or at least I will.)



Thanks for the kind words. I'd suggest avoiding the Old Skull Inn (and most of Shadowdale, for that matter) during the month of Hammer. Maybe after the module comes out it'll be safe to return.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2007 :  20:03:58  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by Octa
And Mintarn as Ahlaster, I wanted my PCs to get a city close to some action.


Not that it matters, but I think you meant to say that you were making Mintar the Realms-equivalent of Alhaster.

Mintar is different from Mintarn. (The former is a Banite-ruled city on the Lake of Steam, the latter is a "free port" on an island of the same name in the Sea of Swords between Waterdeep and the Moonshaes.)

A common mistake.

--Eric



Well met!

I am still awaiting my last three AoW Dungeon Magazines, including the one with "Redhand," which, I think is the issue which describes Alhaster.

Eric, is there a town or city in Faerun which is particularly well-suited for being the Realms-equivalent of Alhaster? If not, is there any significant adjusting which needs to be done to place it as yet another unmapped (perhaps "lost") city in Chult or Zakhara?


I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.


Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2007 :  03:21:41  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Eric, is there a town or city in Faerun which is particularly well-suited for being the Realms-equivalent of Alhaster? If not, is there any significant adjusting which needs to be done to place it as yet another unmapped (perhaps "lost") city in Chult or Zakhara?





See the conversion notes for my best suggestion ... Mintarn. If you don't want to go that far north, one of the Border Kingdoms or even Ormpur might work.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2007 :  23:14:09  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much! Sometimes the answer is staring me in my face and I miss it. I'm intrigued by the thought of using one of the Border Kingdoms, though -- I can put Power of Faerun to very good use. As for Ormpur ... I'll have to look that one up in the atlas; I don't even know where it is -- but I'll find it!


I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.


Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2007 :  00:56:50  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Thank you so much! Sometimes the answer is staring me in my face and I miss it. I'm intrigued by the thought of using one of the Border Kingdoms, though -- I can put Power of Faerun to very good use. As for Ormpur ... I'll have to look that one up in the atlas; I don't even know where it is -- but I'll find it!





See Lapaliiya in Serpent Kingdoms.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

maelstrom58
Seeker

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2007 :  02:38:57  Show Profile  Visit maelstrom58's Homepage Send maelstrom58 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, Mr. Boyd--I would think that you are tremendously busy at the moment and simply haven't had time to answer my question, is that correct? I of course recognize that some of us have lives (curse you for having one! ), and must apparently spend time with them from time to time. If that's the case, I understand, and take your time.

If however, there is some underlying problem here, whether it be that there's an NDA or you think I smell funny or something , just tell me; I'm just wondering whether you've thought about my query at all.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2007 :  14:29:18  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maelstrom58

So, Mr. Boyd--I would think that you are tremendously busy at the moment and simply haven't had time to answer my question, is that correct? I of course recognize that some of us have lives (curse you for having one! ), and must apparently spend time with them from time to time. If that's the case, I understand, and take your time.

If however, there is some underlying problem here, whether it be that there's an NDA or you think I smell funny or something , just tell me; I'm just wondering whether you've thought about my query at all.



Maelstrom, please be patient! Eric and our other resident Great Sages are very busy, and, contrary to the common belief, *do* have private lives.
Sometimes you may have to wait a bit longer for answers or comments (Ed is so busy that you might have to wait for months or even a year). Eric will get back to you as soon as he only can. Please remember that he may to make absolutely sure that your question isn't covered by a NDA, or search his notes, files or archives for that particular piece of information.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

maelstrom58
Seeker

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2007 :  18:23:03  Show Profile  Visit maelstrom58's Homepage Send maelstrom58 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion
Maelstrom, please be patient! Eric and our other resident Great Sages are very busy, and, contrary to the common belief, *do* have private lives.
Sometimes you may have to wait a bit longer for answers or comments (Ed is so busy that you might have to wait for months or even a year). Eric will get back to you as soon as he only can. Please remember that he may to make absolutely sure that your question isn't covered by a NDA, or search his notes, files or archives for that particular piece of information.



I understand, Asgetrion. The reasoned for my above reply is that I didn't know whether or not Eric's thread had the same general rules as Ed's threads--specifically, whether posters should repeat their queries or not. Since earlier in the thread I did see this happen, and no one corrected them, I assumed that this thread might be governed by other rules. Thanks for making this point clear for me and others, Asgetrion.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2007 :  18:32:02  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Well, Eric doesn't have a THO to monitor all the questions he got
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2007 :  20:56:52  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric, please don't despair of me, because I know that you have answered this before, but I can't find the exact location of your answer.

Who, exactly was Borem of the Lake of Boiling Mud, who was slain (or just subdued -- or maybe subsumed?) by Bane, Bhaal and Myrkul when they were still mortals?

Wikipedia was apparently where I know that I saw a date which marked the earliest possible boundary of the Ebon Triad's ascension: -339 DR, because Jergal was still a greater god then (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bane_%28god%29#Bane.27s_Servants). That part of another question of mine is now answered, because, while not canon, the date is an almost certain assumption based upon the Netheril: Empire of Magic boxed set; the Ebon Triad almost certainly became gods after the fall of Netheril, unless Jergal took early retirement (or desk duty, at least) while he was still being actively worshipped, which doesn't seem likely. Still unanswered is the question of the world on which Bane earned his character class levels, since it wasn't on Toril, for the most part.




I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.


Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2007 :  21:13:39  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Eric, please don't despair of me, because I know that you have answered this before, but I can't find the exact location of your answer.

Who, exactly was Borem of the Lake of Boiling Mud, who was slain (or just subdued -- or maybe subsumed?) by Bane, Bhaal and Myrkul when they were still mortals?


As I noted in the C&D web enhancement, Borem is thought to have been one of the Seven Lost Gods. (There are 2 sets of Seven Lost Gods. The OLDER set includes Borem, Tyranthraxus, etc. Only five of that set are named.) Borem's backstory was built up slightly in Faiths & Pantheons. Tyranthraxus was the only other one to get any backstory. (The list of five comes from a booklet included in the old AD&D1 Pool of Radiance computer game.)

The date when he was slain is not known. There are lots of guesses on the Internet, but the range of possible dates is very broad.

It's possible you might get more info in the future.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High
Moderator

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2007 :  00:39:35  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The few Borem tidbits in Faiths & Pantheons are in the section for the "Jathiman Dagger" on pg. 169. More were included in the "Mezeketh Isle" map key section in "Places of Worship" and the sidebar on pg. 170.

Currently, I'm working under the assumption that the "Lake of Boiling Blood" may have, in fact, been the "avatar" of Borem, as suggested by Eric -

"Implicit in your assumption is that the Lake of Burning Blood is a "real lake". I'd suggest that maybe it's a moveable lake (in other words, the lake is the "avatar" of Borem). Alternatively, it could be the lake is created by opening a blood-spewing portal. When the portal closes/moves, the lake drains away.

--Eric"

F&P places the Lake's possible location on Mezeketh Isle -- two miles SW of Saerloon's harbor. It's also said that the Lake may have existed, during pre-Dale Reckoning, somewhere in Jhaamdath -- possibly in the vicinity of what would become Sembia. These "indefinite" points about the possible location of the Lake may work to support a little of what Eric suggested above about Borem's "travelling" avatar.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High
Moderator

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2007 :  00:48:49  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Wikipedia was apparently where I know that I saw a date which marked the earliest possible boundary of the Ebon Triad's ascension: -339 DR, because Jergal was still a greater god then (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bane_%28god%29#Bane.27s_Servants). That part of another question of mine is now answered, because, while not canon, the date is an almost certain assumption based upon the Netheril: Empire of Magic boxed set; the Ebon Triad almost certainly became gods after the fall of Netheril, unless Jergal took early retirement (or desk duty, at least) while he was still being actively worshipped, which doesn't seem likely. Still unanswered is the question of the world on which Bane earned his character class levels, since it wasn't on Toril, for the most part.
There was also some further speculation on Bane's ascension in your original query scroll.

We're also likely to learn a little more about the Three -- possibly in the upcoming Grand History.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 03 May 2007 00:51:54
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2007 :  06:41:11  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric I was wondering if you might have any input on the topic of this scroll

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9299

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 03 May 2007 06:41:46
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2007 :  07:46:17  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Eric, I loved the latest Volo's Guide on Demon Cults. Great job on that one!

I have a question for you, I was wondering about any other possible candidates for "Those Who Sleep Below", aside from Dagon. I was thinking Bechard might fit. Maybe Demogorgon (who is aquatic though he is not an Obyrith). It had occured to me that even Blibdoolpoolp might have once started out as a simple obyrith lord before seeking greater divinity. Do you have any thoughts you can share?
Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
363 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2007 :  18:22:14  Show Profile  Visit Drakul's Homepage  Click to see Drakul's MSN Messenger address Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Vendui' khal abbil.

I have a question. Will there be any upcoming novels that have the Jaezred Chaulssin in it?? Out of all the Drow novels, the only type of Drow that have been concentrated on, were those that follow Lolth and Eilistraee. While WotSQ had the JC in it along with Vhaeraun, I find it a slight injustice concerning Drow of other faiths.

Will the JC gain more novel time??

Realms of Roleplaying *We are recruiting DMs/GMs and Players*
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Realms_of_RPG/index.php?act=idx
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2007 :  18:24:06  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drakul

Vendui' khal abbil.

I have a question. Will there be any upcoming novels that have the Jaezred Chaulssin in it?? Out of all the Drow novels, the only type of Drow that have been concentrated on, were those that follow Lolth and Eilistraee. While WotSQ had the JC in it along with Vhaeraun, I find it a slight injustice concerning Drow of other faiths.

Will the JC gain more novel time??



I'm unaware of any planned appearance of the Jaezred Chaulssin in upcoming novels, but I don't know much of the novel plans. If you'd like to see more, I recommend writing to WoTC and requesting such.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2007 :  18:33:06  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

Hi Eric, I loved the latest Volo's Guide on Demon Cults. Great job on that one!

I have a question for you, I was wondering about any other possible candidates for "Those Who Sleep Below", aside from Dagon. I was thinking Bechard might fit. Maybe Demogorgon (who is aquatic though he is not an Obyrith). It had occured to me that even Blibdoolpoolp might have once started out as a simple obyrith lord before seeking greater divinity. Do you have any thoughts you can share?



Hi Gray,

Glad you liked it. It's not required that "Those Who Sleep" be obyriths, but I had personally thought they probably all were. (This is a pre-FC1 thought.)

I had long thought the Blibdoolpoolp should be one of "Those Who Sleep". (If we go with the obyrith requirement, then she must be an ascended demon princess.) Perhaps she replaced an older, more piscene deity of the kuo-toa? (I say this because I've always thought her human-like features suggest she is a more modern deity and the kuo-toa are an ancient race.)

As for other deities, Bechard is certainly a good candidate. If you don't require obyriths, then a quick skim of FC1, page 155, suggests names like Aseroth, Dwiergus, Gresil, Juiblex (pre-defeat by Ghaunadaur), Lissa'aere, and Ugudenk would all make interesting candidates.

--Eric


--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2007 :  19:06:01  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric- Has the Tree Gem given to Gareth Dragonsbane ever been statted out. Does it just block demons or does it also block Evil Dragons as well?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 46 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000