Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Started reading Evermeet. Got some questions
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  14:54:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

Some of the "missing" princes and princesses are dead, others quietly removed from succession because for one reason or another they are unsuited to rule, and others simply choose to live their lives away from the royal court and the public eye. The elven queen keeps her secrets, and those of her family.
It is certainly tempting to speculate about where those heirs who decided to live their elven lives away from the chaos of the court have ended up. What little schemings of their own they might have hatched along the way...

quote:
I wish I could tell you that an Elaith book is on the horizon, but lacking that, I'm doing the best I can! He plays a small but significant role in the upcoming Waterdeep novel, and today I'm finishing up a story about Elaith and Azariah that, if accepted, will appear in the August or September issue of Dragon Magazine.
We all appreciate your remarkable efforts regardless, Lady Cunningham. Thank you for the details .

Of course, it looks as though I now have a reason to renew my subscription to Dragon even more so. Coupled with Ed's new articles for the magazine, the coming months of Dragon look to be chock full of new and interesting Realmslore.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  15:17:53  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi! I popped in to see what's been going on, and this thread caught my eye. Please be aware that this post contains spoilers for Evermeet.

A warm hello again and I think I can speak for many in Candlekeep in saying you have been missed.

quote:

The ELVES know the fate of most members of their royal family, and in every case Amlaruil knows what befell her children. She would not rest until she had this knowledge, and she has the resources needed to find it. Some of the "missing" princes and princesses are dead, others quietly removed from succession because for one reason or another they are unsuited to rule, and others simply choose to live their lives away from the royal court and the public eye. The elven queen keeps her secrets, and those of her family.

I always looked upon the information about the various royal children as ways a DM could incorporate some elven lore into the game.

quote:

I wish I could tell you that an Elaith book is on the horizon, but lacking that, I'm doing the best I can! He plays a small but significant role in the upcoming Waterdeep novel,

I know the lack of a book featuring Elaith, Arilyn, and other well loved characters is not due to a lack of interest on your part. And I guess one needs to be grateful that at least WOTC is okay with one of these characters having a significant if supporting role in the Waterdeep novel.

quote:

and today I'm finishing up a story about Elaith and Azariah that, if accepted, will appear in the August or September issue of Dragon Magazine.

Oh! I didn't know the story would feature Azariah. Numfar! Do the dance of victory!

quote:

Must get back to it!

Yes, what are you doing here when you should be writing that story?

Take care

SB
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  15:21:16  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
It is certainly tempting to speculate about where those heirs who decided to live their elven lives away from the chaos of the court have ended up. What little schemings of their own they might have hatched along the way...

Sounds like an article for someone to write. For some reason I keep picturing a scene in my mind where an Ar'Tel'Quessir in some inn/tavern is going on and on to a Teu'Tel'Quessir about why Evermeet should not have a monarchy. All the while, this gold elf doesn't realize he's talking to one of the lost princes or princesses.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  16:10:19  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi! I popped in to see what's been going on, and this thread caught my eye. Please be aware that this post contains spoilers for Evermeet.

quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal
He could be hiding his daughter Azariah by Marette, the wife of a human.

I'm curious: Where did you get this information? I don't believe I ever named Azariah's mother, or described her circumstances.

I knew I should read the website longer. My error it appears a fan decided to name mother. A seach on name of father and susposed mother has only one hit with google, though candlekeep might soon become another hit soon.
I had found the susposed mother's name by seach of father and daughter which provided many more hits, I did not read all of them, heck I did not even read the entire sites that I did visit.

My error. Will strike it or modify to indicate fan fiction/ speculation if you desire.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  16:25:29  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal
My error it appears a fan decided to name mother. A seach on name of father and susposed mother has only one hit with google, though candlekeep might soon become another hit soon. I had found the susposed mother's name by seach of father and daughter which provided many more hits, I did not read all of them, heck I did not even read the entire sites that I did visit.

My error. Will strike it or modify to indicate fan fiction/ speculation if you desire.

Thanks for the quick response. I'm relieved to know the source of this was fantic/speculation, not a game supplement. As all here know, I would dearly love to return to Elaith's story some day, and I live in fear of the possibility that his life will be detailed by a few throw-away comments in some game supplement, rendering future exploration of his story redundant, if not impossible. (Josidiah Starym, anyone?)

In the interest of clarity, adding a paranthetical note to indicate fanfic/speculation would probably be a good idea. Thanks for suggesing it!

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  17:11:25  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I live in fear of the possibility that his life will be detailed by a few throw-away comments in some game supplement, rendering future exploration of his story redundant, if not impossible. (Josidiah Starym, anyone?)

Yes, I recall Starym. I just listened to R.A. Salvatore's Mortality Radio interview again. One of the most disappointing things to hear was that he at one time considered writing about this character. Alas, now that so much has been detailed in gaming products it doesn't look like it's something that will happen. That's unfortunate. I would have enjoyed seeing Mr. Salvatore write about this character.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  17:41:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome back, Elaine! You have been missed...

quote:

Yes, several of the royal Moonflower children are dead or MIA. But if you keep in mind that the book is told from a human's point of view, with all the limitations that suggests, the phrase "nothing is known" takes on a different meaning. The ELVES know the fate of most members of their royal family, and in every case Amlaruil knows what befell her children. She would not rest until she had this knowledge, and she has the resources needed to find it. Some of the "missing" princes and princesses are dead, others quietly removed from succession because for one reason or another they are unsuited to rule, and others simply choose to live their lives away from the royal court and the public eye. The elven queen keeps her secrets, and those of her family.

Expanding on this, for a moment...

So Amlaruil knows the fate/locale of each of her kids (including, I assume, which twin it was that fell to the Elf-Eater)... You also state that the elves know the fate of their royals...

How much more do the elves know that the humans don't? For example, going with the lost twin I just mentioned... Do the elves know which one was lost, and/or the general whereabouts of the other one? Or does the Sad Queen keep that info close, with herself and maybe a trusted advisor or two knowing the answer?

Note: I'm not looking for specific information (unless you're willing to share! ), I'm just curious as to how much knowledge the elves have about their lost royals, and how wide-spread that knowledge is.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 27 Apr 2005 17:43:59
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  22:35:03  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

[quote]Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

A warm hello again and I think I can speak for many in Candlekeep in saying you have been missed.

[quote]

Well met

Oh indeed! Welcome back, Elaine. I hope thou art well Is this a flying visit or shall I fetch thy chair back into thy chamber?

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2005 :  01:24:09  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Azariah twas whom I was speaking about...Now I remember that Elaine didn't name her mother...Obviously I assumed that it was Amnestria....

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2005 :  06:50:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Note: I'm not looking for specific information (unless you're willing to share! ), I'm just curious as to how much knowledge the elves have about their lost royals, and how wide-spread that knowledge is.

And additionally, I'd like to ask whether there are any humans of some power and prestige in the Realms who actually have knowledge that there are, currently, lost elven royals.

And like Wooly I'm not looking for anything too specific, just some idle speculation.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2005 :  11:42:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
I've considered it, but at the moment, I've no concrete ideas.

Yeesh, you sound like one of these authors and designers now with that tease. What or who have you considered and in what capacity?

*grins* Really, nothing specific. I've thought about using the surviving prince from the Elf-Eater's attack in some capacity, but nothing has presented itself as a real idea.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2005 :  11:50:08  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
*grins* Really, nothing specific. I've thought about using the surviving prince from the Elf-Eater's attack in some capacity, but nothing has presented itself as a real idea.

Ah yes the twins, our "Lady Chicken-Legs" fans. They did make quite an impression on readers even if they were only viewed in a couple of pages within a novel.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2005 :  12:44:08  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

And additionally, I'd like to ask whether there are any humans of some power and prestige in the Realms who actually have knowledge that there are, currently, lost elven royals.

And like Wooly I'm not looking for anything too specific, just some idle speculation.

It's a short step from "idle speculation" to "unauthorized Realms lore," and since I try to avoid the latter, I'm going to have to pass on these questions.

I can comment on things I've written, but I'm not in a position to discuss the future of Faerun's elves. There's an ongoing elven trilogy, and I have no idea where it's going. (For that matter, I haven't read the first book--I've been working on several other elf-related projects and needed to take a step away from FR elves.) It's possible that any extrapolation of my take on FR elves would conflict with stories and game product currently in the pipeline. Maintaining continuity is difficult enough without having former FR authors muddying the waters with alternate visions of the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

monch9
Seeker

Poland
67 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2005 :  14:15:50  Show Profile  Visit monch9's Homepage Send monch9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
It's possible that any extrapolation of my take on FR elves would conflict with stories and game product currently in the pipeline. Maintaining continuity is difficult enough without having former FR authors muddying the waters with alternate visions of the Realms.

Shouldn't this read former "and FUTURE" FR author. (Isn't it obviouse, I'm and EC fan :)

Monch
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2005 :  14:55:57  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Thanks for the quick response. I'm relieved to know the source of this was fantic/speculation, not a game supplement. As all here know, I would dearly love to return to Elaith's story some day, and I live in fear of the possibility that his life will be detailed by a few throw-away comments in some game supplement, rendering future exploration of his story redundant, if not impossible. (Josidiah Starym, anyone?)

Whilst I respect Elaine's sentiments and fears regarding her attachment to Elaith, I think that the 'novels' side of the Realms have created or caused far more problems and headaches to Realms continuity and cohesiveness than the gaming line. The example of Josidiah Starym is an isolated one, and once again with respect, I defer far more to Steven Schend's ability to 'think Realms' than I do to that of R A Salvatore.

Whilst some novelists may lie in bed awake at night in fear of what the gaming line will do to their novel characters, I can assure you that the gaming line have the god-awful task of reconciling the fact that many FR novelists write in a vacuum and the here and now where their story is all - not caring or failing to recognise that a few throw away sentences of prose can render future exploration of a gaming plot or device equally redundant (Rotting Man, anyone?).

What I would like to see is the FR novelists and the game designers communicate more, talk about their plans and projects between themselves and hence avoid instances, on both sides, where they cancel out each other or ruin the best laid plans through a simple lack of chat.

Having had more than my share of continuity problems to fix or explain away (both from gaming and novel FR products), I have often wondered whether WotC would have been better off from the very start to have stated that the FR fiction line and the gaming products were mutually exclusive and that any game mechanics provided for novel characters were there to use at a DM's discretion. But then of course, that would have removed much of the build-up and hoopla around the Avatar trilogy and the in-game explanation of the transition from 1E to 2E.

Elaine no doubt realises how important her writing is to the Realms. If she doesn't, then I'm telling her it is! But she should also spare a thought for any DM who several years ago read about Grimnoshtdrano in The North boxed set and made him the focal point of his campaign only to have "Elfsong" make his efforts redundant ... there's always two sides to any Realms story.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2005 :  15:06:42  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
What I would like to see is the FR novelists and the game designers communicate more, talk about their plans and projects between themselves and hence avoid instances, on both sides, where they cancel out each other or ruin the best laid plans through a simple lack of chat.

As I'm sure most scribes here have experienced, lack of communication is the biggest problem I've encountered at every work site I've been a part of in my life. I know I shouldn't have expected any difference with WOTC. However, I think the fact I enjoy FR fantasy as something to enjoy after a stress filled day of real life problems is the reason I hoped it would be different.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2005 :  17:14:54  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
Whilst some novelists may lie in bed awake at night in fear of what the gaming line will do to their novel characters, I can assure you that the gaming line have the god-awful task of reconciling the fact that many FR novelists write in a vacuum and the here and now where their story is all - not caring or failing to recognise that a few throw away sentences of prose can render future exploration of a gaming plot or device equally redundant (Rotting Man, anyone?).

George, I'm well aware of the flip side. For example, the final line of one novel has Ao heading off to talk to HIS boss. An intriguing notion, but I imagine that created some interesting issues for the folks in charge of pantheon control.

Throw-away comments in ANY FR product can create headache for all involved. Years ago, one FR novel casually mentioned scars a human character received in "the battle for Evermeet." Uhhh... what battle? And why were humans fighting it?

For the record, I don't exactly lie in bed at night worrying about Elaith's fate. I know he's a popular character, and I'm aware the possibility exists that WotC will use him in another product, as was done in Neverwinter Nights.

quote:

From your lips to the gods' ears! I really enjoyed working in the Realms when Steven Schend and Dale Donovan were in the game department, and I would love to see that kind of coordination become the norm. Your milage may vary, of course, but as time goes on, I find it more and more difficult to get hold of gaming materials that are in the pipeline, or to learn about upcoming products--games OR books!--that might coincide with a story I'm writing. The last time I asked someone in the game department for a copy of an upcoming product, his response was, "You don't need that." Exact quote--I remember it well, because it set me back on my heels.

I suppose I shouldn't have been so surprised. I've called WotC game designers, introduced myself and described my current project, and asked if there was anything in the pipeline about such-and-so. This query was met with silence, followed by a suspicious, "Why do you want to know?" (Uhhh... Sorry--I thought I'd covered that....)

quote:
Having had more than my share of continuity problems to fix or explain away (both from gaming and novel FR products), I have often wondered whether WotC would have been better off from the very start to have stated that the FR fiction line and the gaming products were mutually exclusive and that any game mechanics provided for novel characters were there to use at a DM's discretion. But then of course, that would have removed much of the build-up and hoopla around the Avatar trilogy and the in-game explanation of the transition from 1E to 2E.

From my perspective--and keep in mind that I'm a freelance writer, not a company insider--I get the impression that this is indeed the direction things are heading. Several years ago, the outline for a novel would go to the game department for review. Someone would also read the manuscript, and comments would be sent either to the book editor, or in some cases (such as when Steven was with the Realms) the game designers and authors would work things out in email or on the phone. Do outlines and first drafts still get reviewed by game department? I couldn't tell you. But I heard second hand (from a book editor) that the Powers the Be in game designer, when told of my intention to try to do an "onstage" reconciliation of 2nd and 3rd edition rules concerning drow magic on the surface, responded that it was okay, as long as this didn't become an expectation. This strikes me as a significant shift of attitude from the Avatar trilogy days, in which game rules were very much a part of the novels, and vice versa.

quote:
Elaine no doubt realises how important her writing is to the Realms. If she doesn't, then I'm telling her it is!

Thanks for the thought, George. Much appreciated.

quote:
But she should also spare a thought for any DM who several years ago read about Grimnoshtdrano in The North boxed set and made him the focal point of his campaign only to have "Elfsong" make his efforts redundant ... there's always two sides to any Realms story.

Trust me, I'm well aware of this particular pitfall of shared-world writing. Anything a writer or game designer does with existing Realms characters, settings, or lore is almost certain to contradict someone's longstanding campaign. I've experienced this sort of redundancy myself, and I know how frustrating it can be.

Please do not construe my post as a book-vs-game diatribe, of the sort once common on the WotC forums. It was not intended as such. I am well aware that continuity issues can occur in each and every corner of the Realms, and I have always advocated and sought cooperation and coordination.

I will readily admit that my comment about Josidiah Starym was ill-advised, even bordering on bitchy. In all candor, it was born of frustration. I have been trying in vain to get hold of a copy of an upcoming game accessory so I can ensure that an article I'm writing for Dragon Magazine is consistent with the most recent official lore. I need to make the choice TODAY about whether to tell the editor I will not be submitting the article, or send it as is, facts unchecked, and risk creating continuity problems.

"Writing in a vaccuum," indeed.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2005 :  18:00:22  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Throw-away comments in ANY FR product can create headache for all involved. Years ago, one FR novel casually mentioned scars a human character received in "the battle for Evermeet." Uhhh... what battle? And why were humans fighting it?

Do any other scribes know which FR book contained this line?

quote:

For the record, I don't exactly lie in bed at night worrying about Elaith's fate.

Is it bad for FR fans who do?

quote:

The last time I asked someone in the game department for a copy of an upcoming product, his response was, "You don't need that." Exact quote--I remember it well, because it set me back on my heels.

Nice way to maintain good relations with another FR author/designer.

quote:

I suppose I shouldn't have been so surprised. I've called WotC game designers, introduced myself and described my current project, and asked if there was anything in the pipeline about such-and-so. This query was met with silence, followed by a suspicious, "Why do you want to know?" (Uhhh... Sorry--I thought I'd covered that....)

I know there are NDAs at work sometimes. But, dear Corellon, what do they think? That you are calling to see if they say the wrong thing or steal an idea? I thought Military Intelligence personnel were paranoid at times.

quote:

From my perspective--and keep in mind that I'm a freelance writer, not a company insider--I get the impression that this is indeed the direction things are heading. Several years ago, the outline for a novel would go to the game department for review. Someone would also read the manuscript, and comments would be sent either to the book editor, or in some cases (such as when Steven was with the Realms) the game designers and authors would work things out in email or on the phone. Do outlines and first drafts still get reviewed by game department? I couldn't tell you. But I heard second hand (from a book editor) that the Powers the Be in game designer, when told of my intention to try to do an "onstage" reconciliation of 2nd and 3rd edition rules concerning drow magic on the surface, responded that it was okay, as long as this didn't become an expectation. This strikes me as a significant shift of attitude from the Avatar trilogy days, in which game rules were very much a part of the novels, and vice versa.

Interesting information to know and I appreciate you being willing to share your experiences with FR fans. I know I'm just one FR consumer, but I'm just perplexed by the shift in attitude you have described or the reasons behind some of the experiences you have related in the above posts. The only thing that possibly comes to mind is that the gaming department believes those who buy FR novels and those who buy FR gaming products are overall distincly different consumer bases.

quote:

Trust me, I'm well aware of this particular pitfall of shared-world writing.

When you wrote in the Star Wars universe, did you encounter such a mindset from the game designers there? Or did you not have to consult them in any manner like you have for the Realms?

quote:

Please do not construe my post as a book-vs-game diatribe,

I know I've never viewed your posts as such diatribes. You aren't ranting about a certain person or group. Rather, I've always felt you helped passionate fans like myself understand the bigger picture.

quote:

But, it seems like I will readily admit that my comment about Josidiah Starym was ill-advised, even bordering on bitchy.

Damn. If that's you being borderline bitchy I wish you could pass along some tips to the two ladies in my life.

quote:

In all candor, it was born of frustration. I have been trying in vain to get hold of a copy of an upcoming game accessory so I can ensure that an article I'm writing for Dragon Magazine is consistent with the most recent official lore. I need to make the choice TODAY about whether to tell the editor I will not be submitting the article, or send it as is, facts unchecked, and risk creating continuity problems.

Is this the article about the Bardic college that Dan was to narrate? If so, do we get to vote on what you do like that singing competition show?

quote:

"Writing in a vaccuum," indeed.

Indeed. I just posted a message in a thread devoted to an anthology featuring new FR authors. I hope each and every one of these new authors reads your post. No. I don't wish for them to be turned off from writing future FR material. But, I think it would be helpful to know what they might face if they continue to write in the Realms.

Thank you again for sharing this information. How are those Yankees doing? They win last night?

SB
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2005 :  18:24:01  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
When you wrote in the Star Wars universe, did you encounter such a mindset from the game designers there? Or did you not have to consult them in any manner like you have for the Realms?

Absolutely no problems with the Star Wars people. The continuity team at LucasFilm were pure gold, and the Del Rey editors did a great job keeping all the authors in the loop. Good communication among New Jedi Order authors, as well. I spent a lot of time in emails and on the phone with people whose books surrounded mine. It was a good experience, and lots of fun. I expressed this observation to my son Andrew, whose utterly deadpan response was, "Oooh. Social interaction."

quote:
Damn. If that's you being borderline bitchy I wish you could pass along some tips to the two ladies in my life.

Could that have anything to do with the fact that there are TWO ladies in your life? Food for thought...

quote:
I just posted a message in a thread devoted to an anthology featuring new FR authors. I hope each and every one of these new authors reads your post. No. I don't wish for them to be turned off from writing future FR material. But, I think it would be helpful to know what they might face if they continue to write in the Realms.

Ouch. Any chance of you removing that message before the new kids encounter it? "Your milage may vary" is an important concept. Since the book department is focusing mostly on new characters and little-used locations, such issues are less likely to be problems for incoming writers than those of us who started in first edition, developed characters in second, adjusted for third, pondered the mystery that is 3.5, and in general, just don't seem to have the decency to admit obsolescence.

quote:
How are those Yankees doing? They win last night?

Go ahead--kick the old broad when she's down.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 28 Apr 2005 18:27:28
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2005 :  18:49:06  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Absolutely no problems with the Star Wars people.

That's nice to hear.

quote:

It was a good experience, and lots of fun. I expressed this observation to my son Andrew, whose utterly deadpan response was, "Oooh. Social interaction."

Now, where did he pick up the talent for such lines?

quote:

Could that have anything to do with the fact that there are TWO ladies in your life? Food for thought...

Maybe. I know they are going to love that comment from you.

quote:

Ouch. Any chance of you removing that message before the new kids encounter it?

See Alaundo. She wants me to have moderator power. How many other scribes have an endorsement from an FR author?

quote:

"Your milage may vary" is an important concept. Since the book department is focusing mostly on new characters and little-used locations, such issues are less likely to be problems for incoming writers

I think, just based on my own observations here, that most have that "newly published" glow about them. Thus, you could tell them that the drow are attacking their front yard and you'd probably get a "Do they wish a copy of my book?" reply.

And that was said to any of the authors out there with affection.

quote:

than those of us who started in first edition, developed characters in second, adjusted for third, pondered the mystery that is 3.5, and in general, just don't seem to have the decency to admit obsolescence.

I don't think that term applies to you. Rather like Clan Craulnober, I think you'll still be around in some form no matter what you have to face...even fourth edition.

quote:

Go ahead--kick the old broad when she's down.

That's right. My Angels beat them last night. That fact must have slipped my mind.
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2005 :  15:06:37  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We'll have to pardon SB...no taunting the authors. That's a bad Sirius, very bad.
Elaine, out of curiosity: Since we'll probably never get to see 'em thanks to WOTC, how was Darkhold supposed to turn out with Bronwyn, Dag, Malchior, Cara etc? And what did you figure would be the final fates of Lamruil, Maura and Kymil?
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2005 :  18:44:36  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ethriel

We'll have to pardon SB...no taunting the authors. That's a bad Sirius, very bad.
Elaine, out of curiosity: Since we'll probably never get to see 'em thanks to WOTC, how was Darkhold supposed to turn out with Bronwyn, Dag, Malchior, Cara etc? And what did you figure would be the final fates of Lamruil, Maura and Kymil?

Ethriel, while I appreciate your interest in these characters, I'm going to have to pass on the questions and repeat my usual position:
Maintaining continuity is difficult enough without authors spinning unapproved, appocryphal lore. Whether or not these stories will ever be told is, unfortunately, quite beside the point.

This forum is distinguished by Ed Greenwood's frequent contributions of unpublished lore, but he's the creator, and it's my understanding that, by contract agreement, his stuff is to be considered canon until it's contradicted by material WotC publishes. Ed is unique--let me count the ways--and it's my opinion that all other FR writers and game designers should keep his unique position firmly in mind when discussing Realmslore.
Go to Top of Page

Fenian
Acolyte

Japan
6 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2005 :  10:24:37  Show Profile  Visit Fenian's Homepage Send Fenian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Ethriel

Ethriel, while I appreciate your interest in these characters, I'm going to have to pass on the questions and repeat my usual position:
Maintaining continuity is difficult enough without authors spinning unapproved, appocryphal lore. Whether or not these stories will ever be told is, unfortunately, quite beside the point.

Too bad :( I was wondering about the fate of those characters too.

Get in, do the job, get out. If they're lucky, they won't know I'm there. If not, they'll wish I wasn't."

Fenian Lostsoul
Go to Top of Page

Elmonster
Acolyte

Russia
49 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2005 :  13:14:03  Show Profile  Visit Elmonster's Homepage Send Elmonster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sad news indeed

I wished on the seven sisters
Bring me the wisdom of the age
All that's locked within the book of secrets
I longed for the knowledge of the sage...

Fires at Midnight, Blackmore's Night
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2005 :  13:46:09  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fenian

Fenian,

Elaine Cunningham will be contributing a story to the upcoming anthology, Realms of the Elves, that features Lamruil. Thus, at least readers will learn some more regarding the fate of one of the aforementioned characters.

SB
Go to Top of Page

Fenian
Acolyte

Japan
6 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2005 :  09:25:05  Show Profile  Visit Fenian's Homepage Send Fenian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Fenian,

Elaine Cunningham will be contributing a story to the upcoming anthology, Realms of the Elves, that features Lamruil. Thus, at least readers will learn some more regarding the fate of one of the aforementioned characters.

SB

Great, I will pre-order the book, thanks for the information Sirius.

Get in, do the job, get out. If they're lucky, they won't know I'm there. If not, they'll wish I wasn't."

Fenian Lostsoul
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2005 :  16:54:05  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Great, I will pre-order the book, thanks for the information Sirius.

You're welcome. I know some other FR authors who show up at Candlekeep will also be contributing to this anthology. No release date has been provided yet. I'd estimate the first quarter or so in 2006.
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2005 :  03:26:35  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes I am kind of anxious to read Realms of Elves if I say so myself.Should be interesting.

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2005 :  03:30:45  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

SB

I'm gonna cry! That's a must by. (Would have been anyway for me, because of the subject matter, but still, I'm glad to see that story will finally be printed.

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2005 :  03:34:21  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jindael
I'm gonna cry! That's a must by. (Would have been anyway for me, because of the subject matter, but still, I'm glad to see that story will finally be printed.

Yes, anticipation seems high for that story. I can't say I blame such eager scribes. After all, how long has it been since Evermeet: Island of Elves' publication?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000