Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Started reading Evermeet. Got some questions

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Elmonster Posted - 22 Dec 2004 : 20:24:10
Well I'am somewhere in the middle of the Evermeet, and i can say that the novel is superb, moreover IMHO it's nearly ideal FR novel. But this topic isn't about what wonderful book Elaine has written, I would like to ask some questions.

the first one: It is written that a great cataclysm followed after the Sundering and the creation of Evermeet. Was Underdark created by this cataclysm, or it existed earlier?

Where was the city of Attornash situated? What is the exact date of the Sundering (DR)??

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fenian Posted - 03 May 2005 : 05:46:44
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by khorne
My local library has all the dragon magasines

I don't even have to look at your profile to know you live someplace other than the United States.

That is the problem, in japan(i am no japanese btw) i haven`t find a bookstore that sells dragons magazines.I guess i would have to order them by internet.
SiriusBlack Posted - 02 May 2005 : 20:40:01
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

I don't even have to look at your profile to know you live someplace other than the United States.
khorne Posted - 02 May 2005 : 20:31:21
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase
She's doing the same for me, and I don't recall doing that for ...well never. Expensive stuff, imported magazines.

Ouch! Very true.

SiriusBlack Posted - 02 May 2005 : 16:24:12
quote:
She's doing the same for me, and I don't recall doing that for ...well never. Expensive stuff, imported magazines.

Ouch! Very true.
Kajehase Posted - 02 May 2005 : 16:10:32
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
I'll always continue to support the works and character of Elaine Cunningham. And I'm never disappointed.

Indeed. She's getting me to purchase a Dragon Magazine issue and I don't recall doing that in well over a year.

SiriusBlack Posted - 02 May 2005 : 06:02:26
quote:
I'll always continue to support the works and character of Elaine Cunningham. And I'm never disappointed.

Indeed. She's getting me to purchase a Dragon Magazine issue and I don't recall doing that in well over a year.
Jindael Posted - 02 May 2005 : 05:44:49
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Jindael

So, what do I do if I want more Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb novels? :p

Ever watched Misery?

Whatever you do, don't use that method

Foiled again!

Er, I mean.

ha ha!

The Sage Posted - 02 May 2005 : 05:39:06
quote:

quote:

Us Poor EC fans.

We had to wait forever for Windwalker too..:(

Yes, but we did get results. There are fans of other past FR authors that are still waiting. All I can do is support Elaine Cunningham's FR novels when they come out. Perhaps then WOTC will realize I and others wish to see her write more about the Realms.

Too true!

SiriusBlack Posted - 02 May 2005 : 05:33:14
quote:
Ever watched Misery?

Kajehase Posted - 02 May 2005 : 05:25:59
quote:

Ever watched Misery?

Whatever you do, don't use that method
SiriusBlack Posted - 02 May 2005 : 05:15:12
quote:

Well, first step, since I don't know that much about the authors. Do Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb wish to write again in the Realms? And, are they currently busy doing something else?
Jindael Posted - 02 May 2005 : 05:13:58
SiriusBlack Posted - 02 May 2005 : 05:04:04
quote:

Us Poor EC fans.

Yes, but we did get results. There are fans of other past FR authors that are still waiting. All I can do is support Elaine Cunningham's FR novels when they come out. Perhaps then WOTC will realize I and others wish to see her write more about the Realms.
Jindael Posted - 02 May 2005 : 04:58:20
Us Poor EC fans.

SiriusBlack Posted - 02 May 2005 : 04:56:15
quote:

Evermeet: Island of Elves was first published in April 1998, as I recall, so it's been LONG overdue...

So about eight years by the time we get back to Lamruil. It's a good thing elves are long lived.
The Sage Posted - 02 May 2005 : 04:42:25
Evermeet: Island of Elves was first published in April 1998, as I recall, so it's been LONG overdue...
SiriusBlack Posted - 02 May 2005 : 03:34:21
quote:
I'm gonna cry! That's a must by. (Would have been anyway for me, because of the subject matter, but still, I'm glad to see that story will finally be printed.

Yes, anticipation seems high for that story. I can't say I blame such eager scribes. After all, how long has it been since Evermeet: Island of Elves' publication?
Jindael Posted - 02 May 2005 : 03:30:45
quote:

Elaine Cunningham will be contributing a story to the upcoming anthology, Realms of the Elves, that features Lamruil. Thus, at least readers will learn some more regarding the fate of one of the aforementioned characters.

SB

I'm gonna cry! That's a must by. (Would have been anyway for me, because of the subject matter, but still, I'm glad to see that story will finally be printed.
VEDSICA Posted - 02 May 2005 : 03:26:35
Yes I am kind of anxious to read Realms of Elves if I say so myself.Should be interesting.
SiriusBlack Posted - 01 May 2005 : 16:54:05
quote:
Originally posted by Fenian
Great, I will pre-order the book, thanks for the information Sirius.

You're welcome. I know some other FR authors who show up at Candlekeep will also be contributing to this anthology. No release date has been provided yet. I'd estimate the first quarter or so in 2006.
Fenian Posted - 01 May 2005 : 09:25:05
quote:

quote:
Too bad :( I was wondering about the fate of those characters too.

Fenian,

Elaine Cunningham will be contributing a story to the upcoming anthology, Realms of the Elves, that features Lamruil. Thus, at least readers will learn some more regarding the fate of one of the aforementioned characters.

SB

Great, I will pre-order the book, thanks for the information Sirius.
SiriusBlack Posted - 30 Apr 2005 : 13:46:09
quote:

Fenian,

SB
Elmonster Posted - 30 Apr 2005 : 13:14:03
quote:
Ethriel, while I appreciate your interest in these characters, I'm going to have to pass on the questions and repeat my usual position:
Maintaining continuity is difficult enough without authors spinning unapproved, appocryphal lore. Whether or not these stories will ever be told is, unfortunately, quite beside the point.

Sad news indeed

Fenian Posted - 30 Apr 2005 : 10:24:37
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by Ethriel

We'll have to pardon SB...no taunting the authors. That's a bad Sirius, very bad.
Elaine, out of curiosity: Since we'll probably never get to see 'em thanks to WOTC, how was Darkhold supposed to turn out with Bronwyn, Dag, Malchior, Cara etc? And what did you figure would be the final fates of Lamruil, Maura and Kymil?

Ethriel, while I appreciate your interest in these characters, I'm going to have to pass on the questions and repeat my usual position:
Maintaining continuity is difficult enough without authors spinning unapproved, appocryphal lore. Whether or not these stories will ever be told is, unfortunately, quite beside the point.

ElaineCunningham Posted - 29 Apr 2005 : 18:44:36
quote:
Originally posted by Ethriel

We'll have to pardon SB...no taunting the authors. That's a bad Sirius, very bad.
Elaine, out of curiosity: Since we'll probably never get to see 'em thanks to WOTC, how was Darkhold supposed to turn out with Bronwyn, Dag, Malchior, Cara etc? And what did you figure would be the final fates of Lamruil, Maura and Kymil?

This forum is distinguished by Ed Greenwood's frequent contributions of unpublished lore, but he's the creator, and it's my understanding that, by contract agreement, his stuff is to be considered canon until it's contradicted by material WotC publishes. Ed is unique--let me count the ways--and it's my opinion that all other FR writers and game designers should keep his unique position firmly in mind when discussing Realmslore.
Ethriel Posted - 29 Apr 2005 : 15:06:37
SiriusBlack Posted - 28 Apr 2005 : 18:49:06
quote:
Absolutely no problems with the Star Wars people.

That's nice to hear.

quote:

It was a good experience, and lots of fun. I expressed this observation to my son Andrew, whose utterly deadpan response was, "Oooh. Social interaction."

Now, where did he pick up the talent for such lines?

quote:

Could that have anything to do with the fact that there are TWO ladies in your life? Food for thought...

Maybe. I know they are going to love that comment from you.

quote:

Ouch. Any chance of you removing that message before the new kids encounter it?

See Alaundo. She wants me to have moderator power. How many other scribes have an endorsement from an FR author?

quote:

"Your milage may vary" is an important concept. Since the book department is focusing mostly on new characters and little-used locations, such issues are less likely to be problems for incoming writers

I think, just based on my own observations here, that most have that "newly published" glow about them. Thus, you could tell them that the drow are attacking their front yard and you'd probably get a "Do they wish a copy of my book?" reply.

And that was said to any of the authors out there with affection.

quote:

than those of us who started in first edition, developed characters in second, adjusted for third, pondered the mystery that is 3.5, and in general, just don't seem to have the decency to admit obsolescence.

I don't think that term applies to you. Rather like Clan Craulnober, I think you'll still be around in some form no matter what you have to face...even fourth edition.

quote:

Go ahead--kick the old broad when she's down.

That's right. My Angels beat them last night. That fact must have slipped my mind.
ElaineCunningham Posted - 28 Apr 2005 : 18:24:01
quote:
When you wrote in the Star Wars universe, did you encounter such a mindset from the game designers there? Or did you not have to consult them in any manner like you have for the Realms?

Absolutely no problems with the Star Wars people. The continuity team at LucasFilm were pure gold, and the Del Rey editors did a great job keeping all the authors in the loop. Good communication among New Jedi Order authors, as well. I spent a lot of time in emails and on the phone with people whose books surrounded mine. It was a good experience, and lots of fun. I expressed this observation to my son Andrew, whose utterly deadpan response was, "Oooh. Social interaction."

quote:
Damn. If that's you being borderline bitchy I wish you could pass along some tips to the two ladies in my life.

Could that have anything to do with the fact that there are TWO ladies in your life? Food for thought...

quote:
I just posted a message in a thread devoted to an anthology featuring new FR authors. I hope each and every one of these new authors reads your post. No. I don't wish for them to be turned off from writing future FR material. But, I think it would be helpful to know what they might face if they continue to write in the Realms.

Ouch. Any chance of you removing that message before the new kids encounter it? "Your milage may vary" is an important concept. Since the book department is focusing mostly on new characters and little-used locations, such issues are less likely to be problems for incoming writers than those of us who started in first edition, developed characters in second, adjusted for third, pondered the mystery that is 3.5, and in general, just don't seem to have the decency to admit obsolescence.

quote:
How are those Yankees doing? They win last night?

Go ahead--kick the old broad when she's down.
SiriusBlack Posted - 28 Apr 2005 : 18:00:22
quote:
Throw-away comments in ANY FR product can create headache for all involved. Years ago, one FR novel casually mentioned scars a human character received in "the battle for Evermeet." Uhhh... what battle? And why were humans fighting it?

Do any other scribes know which FR book contained this line?

quote:

For the record, I don't exactly lie in bed at night worrying about Elaith's fate.

Is it bad for FR fans who do?

quote:

The last time I asked someone in the game department for a copy of an upcoming product, his response was, "You don't need that." Exact quote--I remember it well, because it set me back on my heels.

Nice way to maintain good relations with another FR author/designer.

quote:

I suppose I shouldn't have been so surprised. I've called WotC game designers, introduced myself and described my current project, and asked if there was anything in the pipeline about such-and-so. This query was met with silence, followed by a suspicious, "Why do you want to know?" (Uhhh... Sorry--I thought I'd covered that....)

I know there are NDAs at work sometimes. But, dear Corellon, what do they think? That you are calling to see if they say the wrong thing or steal an idea? I thought Military Intelligence personnel were paranoid at times.

quote:

From my perspective--and keep in mind that I'm a freelance writer, not a company insider--I get the impression that this is indeed the direction things are heading. Several years ago, the outline for a novel would go to the game department for review. Someone would also read the manuscript, and comments would be sent either to the book editor, or in some cases (such as when Steven was with the Realms) the game designers and authors would work things out in email or on the phone. Do outlines and first drafts still get reviewed by game department? I couldn't tell you. But I heard second hand (from a book editor) that the Powers the Be in game designer, when told of my intention to try to do an "onstage" reconciliation of 2nd and 3rd edition rules concerning drow magic on the surface, responded that it was okay, as long as this didn't become an expectation. This strikes me as a significant shift of attitude from the Avatar trilogy days, in which game rules were very much a part of the novels, and vice versa.

Interesting information to know and I appreciate you being willing to share your experiences with FR fans. I know I'm just one FR consumer, but I'm just perplexed by the shift in attitude you have described or the reasons behind some of the experiences you have related in the above posts. The only thing that possibly comes to mind is that the gaming department believes those who buy FR novels and those who buy FR gaming products are overall distincly different consumer bases.

quote:

Trust me, I'm well aware of this particular pitfall of shared-world writing.

When you wrote in the Star Wars universe, did you encounter such a mindset from the game designers there? Or did you not have to consult them in any manner like you have for the Realms?

quote:

Please do not construe my post as a book-vs-game diatribe,

I know I've never viewed your posts as such diatribes. You aren't ranting about a certain person or group. Rather, I've always felt you helped passionate fans like myself understand the bigger picture.

quote:

But, it seems like I will readily admit that my comment about Josidiah Starym was ill-advised, even bordering on bitchy.

Damn. If that's you being borderline bitchy I wish you could pass along some tips to the two ladies in my life.

quote:

In all candor, it was born of frustration. I have been trying in vain to get hold of a copy of an upcoming game accessory so I can ensure that an article I'm writing for Dragon Magazine is consistent with the most recent official lore. I need to make the choice TODAY about whether to tell the editor I will not be submitting the article, or send it as is, facts unchecked, and risk creating continuity problems.

Is this the article about the Bardic college that Dan was to narrate? If so, do we get to vote on what you do like that singing competition show?

quote:

"Writing in a vaccuum," indeed.

Indeed. I just posted a message in a thread devoted to an anthology featuring new FR authors. I hope each and every one of these new authors reads your post. No. I don't wish for them to be turned off from writing future FR material. But, I think it would be helpful to know what they might face if they continue to write in the Realms.

Thank you again for sharing this information. How are those Yankees doing? They win last night?

SB
ElaineCunningham Posted - 28 Apr 2005 : 17:14:54
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
Whilst some novelists may lie in bed awake at night in fear of what the gaming line will do to their novel characters, I can assure you that the gaming line have the god-awful task of reconciling the fact that many FR novelists write in a vacuum and the here and now where their story is all - not caring or failing to recognise that a few throw away sentences of prose can render future exploration of a gaming plot or device equally redundant (Rotting Man, anyone?).

George, I'm well aware of the flip side. For example, the final line of one novel has Ao heading off to talk to HIS boss. An intriguing notion, but I imagine that created some interesting issues for the folks in charge of pantheon control.

Throw-away comments in ANY FR product can create headache for all involved. Years ago, one FR novel casually mentioned scars a human character received in "the battle for Evermeet." Uhhh... what battle? And why were humans fighting it?

For the record, I don't exactly lie in bed at night worrying about Elaith's fate. I know he's a popular character, and I'm aware the possibility exists that WotC will use him in another product, as was done in Neverwinter Nights.

quote:
What I would like to see is the FR novelists and the game designers communicate more, talk about their plans and projects between themselves and hence avoid instances, on both sides, where they cancel out each other or ruin the best laid plans through a simple lack of chat.

From your lips to the gods' ears! I really enjoyed working in the Realms when Steven Schend and Dale Donovan were in the game department, and I would love to see that kind of coordination become the norm. Your milage may vary, of course, but as time goes on, I find it more and more difficult to get hold of gaming materials that are in the pipeline, or to learn about upcoming products--games OR books!--that might coincide with a story I'm writing. The last time I asked someone in the game department for a copy of an upcoming product, his response was, "You don't need that." Exact quote--I remember it well, because it set me back on my heels.

I suppose I shouldn't have been so surprised. I've called WotC game designers, introduced myself and described my current project, and asked if there was anything in the pipeline about such-and-so. This query was met with silence, followed by a suspicious, "Why do you want to know?" (Uhhh... Sorry--I thought I'd covered that....)

quote:
Having had more than my share of continuity problems to fix or explain away (both from gaming and novel FR products), I have often wondered whether WotC would have been better off from the very start to have stated that the FR fiction line and the gaming products were mutually exclusive and that any game mechanics provided for novel characters were there to use at a DM's discretion. But then of course, that would have removed much of the build-up and hoopla around the Avatar trilogy and the in-game explanation of the transition from 1E to 2E.

From my perspective--and keep in mind that I'm a freelance writer, not a company insider--I get the impression that this is indeed the direction things are heading. Several years ago, the outline for a novel would go to the game department for review. Someone would also read the manuscript, and comments would be sent either to the book editor, or in some cases (such as when Steven was with the Realms) the game designers and authors would work things out in email or on the phone. Do outlines and first drafts still get reviewed by game department? I couldn't tell you. But I heard second hand (from a book editor) that the Powers the Be in game designer, when told of my intention to try to do an "onstage" reconciliation of 2nd and 3rd edition rules concerning drow magic on the surface, responded that it was okay, as long as this didn't become an expectation. This strikes me as a significant shift of attitude from the Avatar trilogy days, in which game rules were very much a part of the novels, and vice versa.

quote:
Elaine no doubt realises how important her writing is to the Realms. If she doesn't, then I'm telling her it is!

Thanks for the thought, George. Much appreciated.

quote:
But she should also spare a thought for any DM who several years ago read about Grimnoshtdrano in The North boxed set and made him the focal point of his campaign only to have "Elfsong" make his efforts redundant ... there's always two sides to any Realms story.

Trust me, I'm well aware of this particular pitfall of shared-world writing. Anything a writer or game designer does with existing Realms characters, settings, or lore is almost certain to contradict someone's longstanding campaign. I've experienced this sort of redundancy myself, and I know how frustrating it can be.

Please do not construe my post as a book-vs-game diatribe, of the sort once common on the WotC forums. It was not intended as such. I am well aware that continuity issues can occur in each and every corner of the Realms, and I have always advocated and sought cooperation and coordination.

I will readily admit that my comment about Josidiah Starym was ill-advised, even bordering on bitchy. In all candor, it was born of frustration. I have been trying in vain to get hold of a copy of an upcoming game accessory so I can ensure that an article I'm writing for Dragon Magazine is consistent with the most recent official lore. I need to make the choice TODAY about whether to tell the editor I will not be submitting the article, or send it as is, facts unchecked, and risk creating continuity problems.

"Writing in a vaccuum," indeed.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000