Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Started reading Evermeet. Got some questions
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Elmonster
Acolyte

Russia
49 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2004 :  20:24:10  Show Profile  Visit Elmonster's Homepage Send Elmonster a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well I'am somewhere in the middle of the Evermeet, and i can say that the novel is superb, moreover IMHO it's nearly ideal FR novel. But this topic isn't about what wonderful book Elaine has written, I would like to ask some questions.

the first one: It is written that a great cataclysm followed after the Sundering and the creation of Evermeet. Was Underdark created by this cataclysm, or it existed earlier?

Where was the city of Attornash situated? What is the exact date of the Sundering (DR)??

I wished on the seven sisters
Bring me the wisdom of the age
All that's locked within the book of secrets
I longed for the knowledge of the sage...

Fires at Midnight, Blackmore's Night

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2004 :  20:50:45  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sundering I can offer an estimate, as so far can not find official date.

"
Era: The Dawn Age/The Time of Dragons: Unknown to 24000 DR
Dragons and giants rule Toril at this time; elves and dwarves settle in small but growing communities all over Faerūn. The dwarves overthrow the giants and start their empires. Toward the end of this time, the elves start doing the same against the dragon overlords of this era. This age draws to an abrupt close with the Sundering."

It is certainly posible the underdate was one result of the Sundering, the caves were there when the Drow (good and evil) were banished from the surface.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2005 :  17:59:26  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have reread this novels,and I have a question.On page 463 it says that Amnestria gave birth to Elaith's son.If I recall in Elaine's Song's and Swords novels.That it said that she gave birth to a daughter.Which one is it????King or Queen????

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2005 :  18:10:53  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VEDSICA

I have reread this novels,and I have a question.On page 463 it says that Amnestria gave birth to Elaith's son.If I recall in Elaine's Song's and Swords novels.That it said that she gave birth to a daughter.Which one is it????King or Queen????

Both. She secretly gave birth to Elaith's son and only a handful of people know this. Elaith isn't one of them btw but the youngest prince of Evermeet is one of the ones that does know. Arilyn then came after and that is the daughter that Amnestria gave birth to.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2005 :  18:14:53  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Both *wink*

Hmm

Perhaps

Should

Put

In

Some

Spoilier space.

"Amnestria was a battle mage, and King Zaor's favorite child. She was betrothed to Elaith Craulnober, a distant kinsman who served as captain of the King's Guard. When Elaith broke with her over a personal disgrace, she followed him to the mainland - and fell in love with his human friend, Bran Skorlsun. In secret she gave birth to Elaith's son, and hid the child in secret fosterage. She later bore a girlchild to Bran, but she was slain before she could train her daughter in the secrets of the moonblade she would inherit. This half-elven child, Arilyn, was able to claim the sword - the first person of mixed blood ever to do so."
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2005 :  18:59:59  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

quote:

Both.

Which proves Amnestria got around....the hussy
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  00:07:48  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now,now SB....

Possible spoiler question.....................................

I could have sworn that in Elaine's trilogy that Elaith was hiding his daughter......

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  00:36:22  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Now,now SB....

I could have sworn that in Elaine's trilogy that Elaith was hiding his daughter......

He could be hiding his daughter Azariah by Marette, the wife of a human. The name of the mother and circumstance is fanfic/sepculation found on the web. This is not canon.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."

Edited by - Kentinal on 27 Apr 2005 17:21:36
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  01:20:00  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:

Now,now SB....

He could be hiding his daughter Azariah by Marette, the wife of a human.

I thought that Azariah was birthed by one of his elven mistresses?

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  01:28:29  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy
his elven mistresses?

Often a mistress can be married and it appears that sometime an elf will actually marry a human.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  01:47:16  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaith's daughter, as previously noted, is the child of Elaith and his elven mistress (who died in childbirth IIRC). Little Azariah is the Craulnobur blade heir although his unknown son with Amnestria may also have rights to claim the blade - wouldn't that make a great EC novel.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 27 Apr 2005 01:52:21
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  02:25:54  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm... does anyone know what happened to the son of Eliath and Amnestria? Is he still around, or was he one of the elves that were killed by Kymil Nimesin who had been hunting for heirs to the Evermeet throne?

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  02:39:14  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Hmm... does anyone know what happened to the son of Eliath and Amnestria? Is he still around, or was he one of the elves that were killed by Kymil Nimesin who had been hunting for heirs to the Evermeet throne?

Last I know is that location of son is known to youngest Prince, Lamruil, should there be a need to reviel the information. EC appears to indicate no current plans to work on this story more in near future (not schedualed for any 2006 books)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  02:41:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Elaith's daughter, as previously noted, is the child of Elaith and his elven mistress (who died in childbirth IIRC). Little Azariah is the Craulnobur blade heir although his unknown son with Amnestria may also have rights to claim the blade - wouldn't that make a great EC novel.

-- George Krashos

Actually... Elaith's son could be blade heir for two moonblades!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  02:52:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You know... The Moonflowers seem to have a bad habit of misplacing royal kids. Zhoron and Xharlion were in Synnoria when it was attacked by the Elf-Eater, one was killed, but the fate of the other is unknown. Lazziar and Gemstarzah, twins and warrior maidens, were lost at sea...

And there's several others whose fates are simply not mentioned. We know that Ilyrana and Lamruil were the only Moonflower kids still around when Evermeet was attacked. So that means the kids whose fates aren't mentioned are dead or lost. That includes Tira'allara and Hhora, twin priestesses of Hanali Celanil, and two male mages named Zandro and Finufaranell (assumably not twins).

We also know that one of Arilyn's ancestors had a sister who was lost at sea... And then there's Arilyn's lost half-brother.

So... It may be a flip statement, but it's true: The Moonflowers need to keep better track of their royal kids.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  02:58:52  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

First off, nice new avatar there DDH.

The son is still alive. I believe Elaine discussed him briefly in her old thread. You might want to check that out. Nothing official has been detailed about him save for the Evermeet novel. I know at one time Elaine proposed a novel that would have Elaith and his son traveling to Lamruil's new kingdom. Along the way apparently father and son would get to know each other. WOTC shot that proposal down.

No tension there at all I'm sure especially given the following which Elaine revealed on the old WOTC board:

quote:

Pick your favorite villian, write a new story -- that's a really cool idea!

Elaith Craulnober. No doubts there. I even have a story in mind. An incident is referred to in the book Evermeet in which the princess Amnestria leaves for the mainland to stop Elaith, who has hooked up with a band of evil human adventurers, from raiding an ancient elven burial ground. That's when Amnestria meets Bran Skorlsun, Arilyn's father. Lots of action, a couple of double crosses, elf lore, a love triangle, some heartbreak, a frenzy of dark despair--the teeny little Julie Andrews who lives in the back of my head just burst into a chorus of "These are a few of my favorite things."

Originally posted in 12/2003 by Elaine Cunningham

and

quote:

That's discussed very frankly in EVERMEET. A furious Amnestria is packing to go to the mainland and confront Elaith, who left Evermeet and her the day he claimed the Craulnober blade. Remember Lamrual pointing out that her belt was notched looser than usual, and asking her "what manner of leave-taking" passed between her and Elaith? At the time, Amestria was already pregnant. She and Elaith were betrothed, and the child was conceived when Elaith still thought of himself as an elven noble, captain of the king's guard.

The next part of their story has never been told. Amnestria went to the mainland. She sided with Bran Skorlsun, a human ranger and Harper, to keep Elaith from despoiling an ancient elven burial site. Amnestria was willing to give Elaith another shot, but the elf considered himself unworthy of an Evermeet princess and very pointedly rebuffed her. Shortly thereafter, she fell in love the Bran, who, before this episode, considered Elaith to be a
friend. Elaith viewed this as a double betrayal, even though -- or perhaps, especially because -- he himself chose a path of alientation from his elven past.

Elaith was never to learn of Amnestria's pregnancy. Only a handful of peopleknow this well-kept secret: Bran, Prince Lamruil, Khelben and Laerel (who were friends of Amnestria and Bran during their early married life), and now Danilo. As the epilogue suggested, Khelben repressed the manuscript that became the novel EVERMEET. People in our Prime Material Plane can read it, but rest assured that this book is not on the shelves of any library in the Realms.

Originally posted on July 2002 by Elaine Cunningham

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 27 Apr 2005 03:01:32
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  03:00:57  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
So... It may be a flip statement, but it's true: The Moonflowers need to keep better track of their royal kids.

Do you have Elaine Cunningham's file where she accounts for all the children between Zaor and Amlaruil?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  03:18:51  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

Do you have Elaine Cunningham's file where she accounts for all the children between Zaor and Amlaruil?

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/2566/ecnote2.htm

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  03:27:43  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry kuje, that wasn't a request, just meant to ask Wooly if he had seen the file. And if you haven't WR, there you go.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  03:35:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

quote:

quote:

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/2566/ecnote2.htm

Thanks for the link... I wasn't aware of that file. I was just going off of what was in the Evermeet novel.

But my point remains the same. Too many of their kids just disappeared...

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 27 Apr 2005 03:43:11
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  03:41:21  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Thanks for the link... I wasn't aware of that file. I was just going off of what was in the Evermeet novel.

<snort> Calls himself a Great Reader <snort>

And given the large amount of interest in this thread and every other I've seen devoted to this subject or the character of Elaith, I really want to thank WOTC from sparing me the horror of having to read a new novel about this old character.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  03:49:34  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry kuje, that wasn't a request, just meant to ask Wooly if he had seen the file. And if you haven't WR, there you go.

I know but you were slacking so I posted it instead. :)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  04:26:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But my point remains the same. Too many of their kids just disappeared...
Very true.

Count this on the list of the other 'forgotten' historical novel/gaming aspects of the "Forgotten" Realms .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  04:34:12  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sirius, thanks for the info. This clears things up a bit for me.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  04:41:31  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reading all this makes me want another Elaith, Arilyn, and Danilo novel or two even more. *sighs* Heaven forbid wizards gives us what we want.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  05:36:38  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

Reading all this makes me want another Elaith, Arilyn, and Danilo novel or two even more. *sighs* Heaven forbid wizards gives us what we want.

Now now SirUrza, those are old characters. No one wants to read anything about those three when we can find the Next Big Thing (NBT).

Oh, and you're welcome DDH.

Here's a question for the scribes out there. Has anyone ever used any of the Moonflowers, be they ones highlighted via kuje's post, or others in a campaign?

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 27 Apr 2005 06:00:10
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  06:52:23  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had that young prince running around in my campaign for a little while. I had him raised by dwarves (best way I could figure to make him an adult by the age of 50, which is what he'd be right about now). He had a love of regaining old elven and dwarven artefacts, and a real knack for getting my players into trouble.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  06:58:23  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

I had that young prince running around in my campaign for a little while. I had him raised by dwarves (best way I could figure to make him an adult by the age of 50, which is what he'd be right about now). He had a love of regaining old elven and dwarven artefacts, and a real knack for getting my players into trouble.

Raised by dwarves? A certain parental unit would love that.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  11:35:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Here's a question for the scribes out there. Has anyone ever used any of the Moonflowers, be they ones highlighted via kuje's post, or others in a campaign?

I've considered it, but at the moment, I've no concrete ideas.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  12:12:59  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I've considered it, but at the moment, I've no concrete ideas.

Yeesh, you sound like one of these authors and designers now with that tease. What or who have you considered and in what capacity?
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  14:45:49  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi! I popped in to see what's been going on, and this thread caught my eye. Please be aware that this post contains spoilers for Evermeet.

quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal
He could be hiding his daughter Azariah by Marette, the wife of a human.

I'm curious: Where did you get this information? I don't believe I ever named Azariah's mother, or described her circumstances.

Yes, several of the royal Moonflower children are dead or MIA. But if you keep in mind that the book is told from a human's point of view, with all the limitations that suggests, the phrase "nothing is known" takes on a different meaning. The ELVES know the fate of most members of their royal family, and in every case Amlaruil knows what befell her children. She would not rest until she had this knowledge, and she has the resources needed to find it. Some of the "missing" princes and princesses are dead, others quietly removed from succession because for one reason or another they are unsuited to rule, and others simply choose to live their lives away from the royal court and the public eye. The elven queen keeps her secrets, and those of her family.

I wish I could tell you that an Elaith book is on the horizon, but lacking that, I'm doing the best I can! He plays a small but significant role in the upcoming Waterdeep novel, and today I'm finishing up a story about Elaith and Azariah that, if accepted, will appear in the August or September issue of Dragon Magazine.

Must get back to it!

ec
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000