Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Maztica Alive! Workshop
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7374 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2018 :  16:46:14  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I actually have a portal somewhere below those islands on the left (west) side of Katshaka that the Mulhoranndi used, from my one CKC article. It leads to the Gbor Nor (Brightstar lake), near the island of Bhaluin.

I have it where Mulhorand briefly tried to settle the place (maybe for a century), until 'pressing matters at home' made them give up their colonization efforts. Thus there are some pyramids and stuff over by the desert. I only did that (back then) because I needed a few Sea-Gates to explain the cultures, because the 'accepted' source for Katashaka back then was Nyambe, and Nyambe had a 'near east' culture like that they called 'The water People', as well as another near-eastern one that was very much Zakharan (and a 'far east' one as well - Kara-Tur), thus on that coast (by the desert) and on those two islands I have the same setup as Nyambe did. I may, at this point, give the shou another island 'base' to the left of Katashaka, because that would actually make more sense (even though they are using Gates, you'd still think they would want a direct sea-route as well). I have to think about it, though. I don't want them to have a dominating presence in the region (but definitely a strong one).

Are Rhinaur written up anywhere, other than in the novel?

And what kind of navy are we talking for the Tabaxi? Catamarans?
Seriously, though, the few catfolk Tabaxi that went north to Chult must have been pretty brave - the whole reason the island works for me is because most cats would be afraid to sail.

The tabaxi that leave for Chult are human. That's over 4 thousand years ago. In between that time, the tabaxi that stay behind in Katashaka... at some point... become the Tabaxi that are the cat folk, and THOSE Tabaxi eventually spread into Far Payit in Maztica. I actually picture there having been a land bridge between Lopango and Northern Katashaka somewhere that's since been destroyed in the last 4 thousand years.

On Rhinaur... No, they are not statted anywhere. The Star of Cursrah book is the only source that I know of. It should be noted that the Rhinaur and "manscorpions" were both tauric races that were specifically found down in ancient Calimshan according to that novel.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7374 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2018 :  17:11:11  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Do me a favor, also do up two basic creatures. One is like a tressym, but its a mini-griffin, but instead of eagle and lion, make it parrot and panther (but a blue furred panther). The other the same thing, but a cockatoo and a white tiger. Not sure of a good maztican name for them.

Those sound really cool. I'd love to write them up. Just some questions before I do...

1) Should I make them subspecies of each other, leaving room for additional ones in the future?
2) Should they be Katashaka specific - or are they all about the True World?
3) Do you want them to be low powered enough that they are appropriate for familiars?

Personally, I would suggest keeping it Katashaka only, giving yours and Markustay's work something addtional that makes it unique. In that case, I'll write it up, but it could be part of the eventual DMSguild product you guys put together if you want it (instead of TWC7).

I want them for Katashaka. However, that being said, I want them for my red wizards in Lopango as well, but THERE I want the red wizards getting the idea that they can create their own kinds. Thus, the red wizards end up with some WEIRD looking kinds. Picture a black/grey toucan with a rainbow beak and the black hind end of a panther. Maybe a peacock mixed with siamese. Red/Yellow Parrot with an orange/red tabby or leopard hind end. They get the idea when they have their own griffins and then discover these two offshoots in Katashaka and decide they can make their own. The ones by the red wizards should be simple mounts only (unless they somehow magically awaken them). Someone else produced another similar creature called an owlcat for DM's Guild, and I'll also have them for night work by the red wizards.

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/177638/Owlcat

I like them being some kind of "blessing" by Nula, but on a group, with the exact story being left vague... because they themselves have forgotten their origin. They should be intelligent, but not extremely so, but they can talk like parrots (not just repeating things).

Hmmm, what might make some good abilities? Maybe they can cast tongues or comprehend languages?

I do like the ability for the tressym like ones to be able to bond as familiars.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
31390 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2018 :  21:22:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All this talk of miniature griffons... I did the same thing in one of my Hooks, back in the day, using the spell Duhlark's animerge. The spell was originally 2E, but there's a 3E version in the Duhlarkin entry in the Realms Bestiary, Volume 1 by Eric L. Boyd and Thomas M. Costa.

Short version: this is the spell used to make all those weird half-half critters, like owlbears and such.

On a related note, I supported a Kickstarter last year called Atlas Animalia. The idea was to make a kind of lore book, focusing on regional variants of some fantasy critters. For griffons, for example, it has the Common Griffin, Lesser Griffin, Snow Griffin, and Tiger Griffin. Each has a one-page write-up, with artwork, and no stats. And the appearance of each is distinct.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15675 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2018 :  18:28:32  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the idea of small griffons, but I am wondering if they fit thematically in the 'New World'. I think good art work could go a long way with this particular idea, because just hearing 'griffon' screams 'European' to me (because the way you described them would make them work, but if I'M having a hard time picturing them, so will everyone else, I would assume).

I'm actually considering three sizes - tiny, mini, and small. Tiny could sit on your shoulder (like a large parrot, small would be like a good-sized housecat (smaller, though, than a lynx), and then others would be about the size of large dog (so maybe something the size of a kobold could ride one, or a small goblinoid). That last one would have more tiger-like coloring striping, mixing it with something like a Baltimore Oriole.

And then I also want 'Monkey-birds' (stolen from Pirates of Darkwater). Here's Another Shot.

And when I went look for a decent picture of those (that's the main character one - others have different coloration), I came across this bizarro thing - The Goraven. I don't think I want those, though - it may give someone nightmares.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Feb 2018 18:40:26
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
31390 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2018 :  20:01:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I love the idea of small griffons, but I am wondering if they fit thematically in the 'New World'. I think good art work could go a long way with this particular idea, because just hearing 'griffon' screams 'European' to me (because the way you described them would make them work, but if I'M having a hard time picturing them, so will everyone else, I would assume).

My "falcats" as I later dubbed them were house cat/falcon mixes, so they'd be the size of a house cat.

Both types of critters are present in the New World, so a blend is theoretically possible... Though you could go with something else, of course. I've long been fond of the eagle/wolf hybrid, since I first saw the character Silverbolt in the otherwise forgettable Beast Wars series. (Pic!)

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 26 Feb 2018 20:02:03
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7374 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2018 :  20:40:00  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

On a side note...there is a lot of material here already on Katashaka. Wehn I find some time, would you mind me copying all of your posts (you, Sleyvas, and everyone else who has contributed), and started at least putting them together in a single document? Even stuff that you have abandoned - because I think you could definitely start moving past the brainstorming phase now and I'd be happy to help at least organize. I would also start petitioning folks for artwork if you'd like me to.

Yeah, I kind of got sidetracked by working on the Shaar/western Unther/Wizard's Reach area. Since then I decided I was trying to do too much in a small area (technically its not real small... but I need the design to leave open whole swathes for others to add in their own entries). I also decided to scale back just how much the red wizards actually control by a bit. Then I got sidetracked by the Metahel and that eastern Island.

You know what, I think I'm going to kind of release what I have for Katashaka in the end as similar to what was done for dreams of the red wizards. It will have a "surrounding areas" section and just give a light touch on each.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7374 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2018 :  20:43:44  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the monkeybird as well. That being said, I was actually doing winged monkeys, because I was kind of spoofing the Wizard of Oz with a green hag civilization and a city made of green stone with a yellow stone road. Then I saw Chult had winged monkeys too.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15675 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2018 :  06:25:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everyone loves flying monkeys!

Those hags would have hobgoblin guard wearing uniforms, right? We need the whole package.

And then a young woman, a leonin, a Warforged, and an awakened scarecorw golem pay those nasty hags a visit...

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

My "falcats" as I later dubbed them were house cat/falcon mixes, so they'd be the size of a house cat.

Both types of critters are present in the New World, so a blend is theoretically possible... Though you could go with something else, of course. I've long been fond of the eagle/wolf hybrid, since I first saw the character Silverbolt in the otherwise forgettable Beast Wars series. (Pic!)

*AHEM*

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Senior Scribe

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2018 :  14:26:23  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You might want to consider reworking the Ba’Atun from UK7 Dark Clouds Gather then and their leader Yesork Payeh (sorry I can’t post links still). I loved that adventure and it could fit in quite well.

All "Maztica Alive" products can be found below, linked to the campaign guide.

TWC1 The Maztica Campaign Guide

Newest Addition: TWR1 The Sea Demon's Pearl

Also, please come join us on the Maztica Alive Yahoo Group:
Join Us
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15675 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2018 :  18:29:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

You might want to consider reworking the Ba’Atun from UK7 Dark Clouds Gather then and their leader Yesork Payeh (sorry I can’t post links still). I loved that adventure and it could fit in quite well.
Ya know, I had been completely unaware of that adventure!

Cloud Giants? Aarakocra envoys?
Methinks I may just adapt this whole-cloth to Katashaka.

Thanks for the heads-up!!!

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Feb 2018 18:31:13
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Senior Scribe

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2018 :  21:07:25  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Ya know, I had been completely unaware of that adventure!

Cloud Giants? Aarakocra envoys?
Methinks I may just adapt this whole-cloth to Katashaka.

Thanks for the heads-up!!!

Lol no problem! I dont know if it’s because I bought it so young, but this has always been one of my favorite adventures to even just read through. I’ve wanted to update it for a long time. I originally had intended Anchorome if I ever got to writing up that place, (mostly because of the aarakocra presence) but Katashaka works great too.

Join Us
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7374 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2018 :  21:21:24  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

lol, white wings, icy blue fur, and red butts.

I do like the place name Tikka-Ti-Jarra... and actually a lot of the names in the module (Karraka, Barruk, Shadrond, Mount Ederglow).

And the Skyfish that's a ship shaped like a manta ray.... this must have predated the spelljammer

Man its interesting sometimes to go back to some of this 1st edition stuff and look at how things have changed with time.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15675 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2018 :  21:58:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I really like it - I am going to put all of that just south of Stormwrath, as the 'starter adventure'.

I am going to ditch the archmage, though - kind of pointless. I'm just going to go with the Aarokocra having approached the Storm Giants directly, in the backstory. The priest Bernhardt becomes the Shaman Babertunde, and the village gets renamed Lurnloya. The visiting cleric can remain the same (another Faerûnian in Katashaka 'on business' - probably a missionary). 'Asdos of Silvanus'.

The 'flying manta-ship' becomes an artifact of the Fallen Giant Empires.

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Feb 2018 22:05:13
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Senior Scribe

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2018 :  22:52:18  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The 'flying manta-ship' becomes an artifact of the Fallen Giant Empires.

Perhaps a relic from when the Giant-Kings (from the Lopango lore book) arrived in or near Lopango? It would require changing the cloud giants into stone giants.

Join Us

Edited by - Seethyr on 27 Feb 2018 22:52:52
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Senior Scribe

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2018 :  22:58:53  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just so you don’t have to go fishing for that information - TWC2 has a race of giants in Lopango that have been cursed by the gods. Long ago they fled a battle with the dragons (led by an avatar of Garyx) causing the deaths of dozens of storm giant allies. They fled to the True World and were taken in by Kukul (known as Virachoa in Lopango). Their shame poisoned their hearts and soon they began to value gold far more than the deity that had offered them a home. He had a bit of a tantrum and tried to drown them out with a massive flood and cursed them so that their touch could petrify (the resulting stone being iron pyrite also known as fool’s gold).

The lore would have some nice synchronicity.

Join Us

Edited by - Seethyr on 27 Feb 2018 23:00:29
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Senior Scribe

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2018 :  23:16:34  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Man its interesting sometimes to go back to some of this 1st edition stuff and look at how things have changed with time.

Agreed, and also to update what hasn’t been touched. UK7 will minor flavorful tweaks really is a great fit.

Although it’s set in Mystara - the adventure Needle was another one I was going to find some use for.

Join Us
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15675 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2018 :  23:56:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, since the whole of my Katashaka is rooted in the Xen'drik material, I can use any giants, because they're all interrelated.

The great Giant Empire fell tens of thousands of years ago (a bunch of stuff was involved, including dragons), and then there were 'survivor states' all over the place, and then these fell, until you have the situation you have today - hundreds of scattered 'clans' all over Katashaka, all dreaming of their past glories, but they've fallen so far they'll never recover that (not even the cloud and storm giants - even they have become a lot more 'savage').

Your Stone Giants may have recovered one the ancient, giantish 'flying machines' and used it to go to Lopango, dreaming (as all Kata giants do) of reestablishing their supremacy, but instead they focused on the worst civilization has to offer - GREED. I believe there was another such ship in canon Maztica lore (if we say it was 'giant sized', then we can even have fun with a psuedo Alien-type scenario {the movie}).

EDIT:
Which reminds me, as I just went looking for two races (from SJ) that could possibly fit 'Aliens vs Predators', I remembered an important part of my Stormwrath lore - it not only a Toril-specific cosmopolitan mecca (because of all the nearby sea-gates and cultures), but its also an omnipolitan base as well. It's the latest, most popular 'star port' on Toril. Now, this is weird, because I greatly dislike Spelljammer stuff, but I really want this odd city to have a 'Mos Eisley' kind of vibe, or maybe a better comparison would be a scaled-down version of Sigil. You can run into just about anyone or anything in Stormwrath.

Now, once you leave the city, it gets very primitive, very quickly (not that the city is all that civilized either - think Skullport on steroids). Yes, THAT bad. There are 11 controlling factions (that may change - there is one faction for each 'mound' in the city, but one mound is empty so no faction there... maybe..), and so long as you are 'in' with a faction, you shouldn't get in too much trouble (which means doing a bunch of 'beginner quests' as soon as you arrive. members of the same adventuring party don't necessarily have to be part of the same faction - they do all work together, even though they are rivals (some more hostile than others). I suppose that means I should fold the four 4e/5e Faerûn factions in. That might not be such a bad idea, now that I just thought of it... it would give me a great starting point (oh noes! Red Wizards! LMAO).

Anyhow, the idea is that you can run into some pretty crazy stuff in and around Stormwrath before you even get out in the 'main adventuring area', which is split into three tiers, along the same lines the tier (power) system in 4e (I forget what they were called). Coastal regions would be the outer band, and be like levels 1-10, with their being another band where the challenges would be 11-20, and finally a 'core' are - 'The Heart of the Jungle' - that would be levels 21-30. Everything gets bigger and scarier as you travel inward.

So, like regular animals in the outer band, giant and flying versions of same in the next band, and then giant flying or gargantuan version of creatures in the middle, with Gargantuan, unique (sometimes flying) creatures roaming 'the Heart' (figure BBG's for dungeons/AP's). The Kaiju would be among the uniques, but there could be other 'things'.

BTW, I found some canon lore that says the Terrasque is sleeping under the Purple Hills (Grey Hills), but I suppose we could just ignore that, since its Netheril box and could just be 'outdated info'.

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Feb 2018 02:35:39
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7374 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2018 :  00:36:44  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
or we could simply say that all those people that say that the tarrasque is "unique" are wrong. After all, it's been seen on many a world. The question becomes, how do they come about. They obviously aren't "born". I personally like the idea I was using for them with Katashaka... they're summoned from some kind of nightmare realm and only via primitive dream magics used by powerful dream casters. That contradiction would make for very few individuals that can actually reach out and summon a tarrasque or other nyama-nummo.

Hmmm, on that note... what if many of the nyama-nummo of Katashaka are what they DREAM that their god is like. Its not an avatar, because its not bound to the god or even controlled by the god. Its more a dream given reality based upon what they view a god to be like.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Senior Scribe

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2018 :  02:18:17  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven’t read it in decades but I seem to recall the tarrasque’s heart was used to power the Karsus’ Avatar spell that allowed him to take Mystra’s place as the Momentary God. Has that canon been hand waived away?

Join Us
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15675 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2018 :  02:30:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the Terrasque tends to follow the same pattern as artifacts... {hmmmmmm..} - it appears, it causes a ruckus - and then it disappears, only to reappear elsewhere and do it all over again. Now, I believe there was an adventure that synced-up to the Netheril Arcane Age stuff, and in that, you had to fight the Terrasque, so if the Netheril box had it in those hills, then it already woke-up, and should not be there anymore.

The theory used to be 'one Terrasque per world', and there was even a further theory that it was the same Terrasque (that moved around, a lot like an artifact, as I already said). There was some really bad SJ lore with a 'planet of the Terrasques', which I suppose you could say was where all the world-specific Terrasques go when 'not in use' (so this almost makes them like Avatars, and that planet is some sort of 'Godly Realm'). A world needs some Terrasqu-ing, and one gets sent out. I HATED that. Most people just prefer to ignore that lore, as we should. Its stomps on all previous D&D lore. We could just say those are like 'afterimages' of a Terrasque that was on the world, like illusions, but more actual previous versions of the creature (as if some archmage used some sort of 'time shatter' magic on it - some cosmic MacGuffin like that).

Anyhow, it just means the Terrasque could be in Katashaka, although it probably means that it can't be THE Terrasque (as in, 'there can be only one'). Unless, of course, we say that when it is 'sleeping' (comatose) in Katashaka - which is most of the time - it sends out avatars of itself (or maybe just one avatar) to do 'Terrasque Stuff' elsewhere. Thus, when it wakes up hungry in Katashaka, its 'between assignments'.

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Feb 2018 02:37:00
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Senior Scribe

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2018 :  04:52:50  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah I agree, the tarrasque lore seems a bit of a mess but not unresolvable. Another thought might be this god-like creature, known actually as The Sleeper, has only taken the form of “a” tarrasque but is in fact a whole different being. I read somewhere that The Sleeper was at one time not such a mindless abomination.

Join Us
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15675 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2018 :  05:51:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmmm... 'The Sleeper' might actual be the original, quasi-Divine being (like these other Nyama-Nummo, or 'Kaiju'), and it send out these 'dreams' which are like avatars, and they wreak destruction elsewhere, and when they are destroyed somehow that energy or whatever simply returns to 'The Sleeper'.

So what if the Sleeper itself is a physical body Ubtao once took, like a manifestation? It can't be permanently destroyed (because Ubtao might be more than a god, or even more than a primordial), so instead he separates his 'essence' from his form, and the 'mindless husk' he leaves behind is the rampaging Terrasque, which he has to keep in a coma so it doesn't destroy everything. But sometimes the creature's rage gets so great, even in its sleep, it sends out these 'dream projections' of itself? And the few times the thing actually physically awakes (like in the GHotR vingette), thats when Ubtao is busy elsewhere, and an't focus on keeping the creature asleep.

Which now makes me think - perhaps the Terrasque is the most powerful of the Nyama-Nummo, but the others are similar creatures? That somehow when the 'mind' (spirit, whatever) of a god (primordial?) gets 'locked away' (like on Abeir), its physical body must still be dealt with somehow? We have other instances - especially with the Elder Evils - of uber-powerful beings having to separate them into component pieces just to keep them from regenerating.

Oh, and can we have at least one Krakentua? I love me some Krakentua (a VERY bad experiment of the Imaskari, implanting illithid tadpoles in titans). Maybe have this Kata one be some sort of prototype created by the giants themselves - a failure on their part and relic of the past. He could be even bigger and stronger than the ones in K-T, and we cold call him 'King Krakentua'.

And some of the giant ruins have 'stone guardians' of immense proportions... statues that walk.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7374 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2018 :  12:20:49  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I haven’t read it in decades but I seem to recall the tarrasque’s heart was used to power the Karsus’ Avatar spell that allowed him to take Mystra’s place as the Momentary God. Has that canon been hand waived away?

Hmmmm, that's a very interesting thing there Seethyr in light of what I just proposed... thank you. IF the tarrasque is in fact a very powerful creature called from dreams, that would make it very interesting that its a component used in ascending to godhood.

For that matter, as much as I don't really care for the lore in VGtMonsters for beholders reproducing themselves via dreaming a new one into the world for the way ALL beholders come about.... I do like that maybe this is how new strains of beholders come about.... or even how new queens are created. Maybe only the ones created via dreams can reproduce, and when they die, that "strain" of beholders dies. I mention this because then beholder queens might be useful as components in some kind of lesser dream magics.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15675 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2018 :  21:30:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My whole problem with using 'The Dreamtime' (Plane of Dreams for creation and procreation - most especially gods AND aberrations - is that I folded my 'dream realm' into Faerie, or what is now called The Feywild (or the 'Spirit World' in many mythos).

Its a wee bit complex, but in my cosmological model (which REALLY needs to be updated), I have three 'platters' (sort of) representing The Material Planes (The Prime + Elements), the Upper Planes ('Upper World'), and the Lower Planes (The Underworld). The Upper planes are filled with '(Divine) Light', and the lower planes are filled with shadowy darkness.. This is because of the Material plane sandwiched in the middle - the 'Light' from the upper planes shines down upon the Material Planes, and is reflected back onto the bottom of the Upper Planes (platter). Thus, 'The Feywild' is really a distorted reflection of the 'real world'. 'The Light' can't really reach the Lower Planes, because the shadow from the Material Planes is cast upon the Lower Planes, and THAT shadow is the Shadowfell (so literally, the Feywild and Shadowfell are the reflections and shadow of the Material world).

So this means that a person's mind can wander the Aethers (Astral and Ethereal Planes) while they sleep, and wind-up in either the 'dream World' (Feywild) or the Nightmare Realm (Shadowfell) - these are just the way our 'spirit' interprets those planes while sleeping, but unlike a physical being traveling to these planes, your unconscious mind can actually take control of the environment, making 'sleepers' quite dangerous to the folk of those planes. Fortunately, the effects are normally localized, hermaless, and dissolve into the mists' after the dreamer leaves... but not always. In other words, 'dreamers' are like small viruses that can 'attack' the reality of those planes, because anything outside the Material Plane is entirely mutable. Only the Material Plane is 'fixed' (because the Ymir died - mortals literally live inside a dead dimension). This is because our 'soul stuff' (Elan) is really an infinitesimally small piece of the ancient Supernal, which has the ability to warp the universe around itself (which is why that Soul-stuff is so damn important, and why 'the powers that be' have been trying to recollect it since the Dawn War). As physical beings on a physical plane, our conscious minds can handle those concepts - we accept what our sense tell us as 'fact'. Powerful mortals can overcome this somewhat, using magic, or even psionics (really just flavors of the same thing - the ability to change reality with your mind), but your unconscious mind is not limited to that methodology, at least not when outside the Material Planes. This is one of the most well-kept secrets of the universe - that all 'mortals' are really just deific larvae.

Anyhow, I didn't mean to get so deep into the metaphysics of my version of the D&Dverse. I just needed to explain how my versions of Dream and nightmare relate to the rest of the cosmology, and why this whole 'Dreamer' thing messes with my vision of the Feywild... maybe.

Hmmmm... what if that 'Supernal mind' - that tiny, itty-bit, infinitely small shard of Supernal we all have within us allows us to 'side-step' The Veil - the barrier between universes? Normally, there is no way to pierce that barrier (although the Obyriths managed it, from their side), but what if the Beholders know some of this? What if what they are really doing is reaching back into The far Realms - that 'Otherverse' - and pulling some it through the Dreamtime into the Real World? In other words, 'Dreams' are the one back-door there is in the ((D&D) universe to get in and out of places like The Far Realms easily. Its the one dmension the 'wall' of the The Veil does not exist (and The Veil is something like DC comic's Source Wall, although that would be a purely physical {Prime Material} manifestation of it - it would look different from each dimension).

In my cosmology, Erebus is the guardian of The Veil -he is not a God or Primordial, yet also not a Supernal, although he does have say over some of their 'stuff' - he is an Eternal. Something 'outside' the normal hierarchy. Ao and the LoP are also eternals, and Eternals might be avatars of Supernals, but its a LOT more complicated than that (because the 'avatar' of something that high up the foodchain is an Overgod, and thus a being in its own right). He guards 'The Night' - the paper thin (yet impenetrable) curtain that separates our reality from non-reality. But you can slip past him in dreams...

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7374 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2018 :  23:12:10  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In this, I'm specifically leaving dream magic as a very "not detailed" thing. Does it touch the Far Realm? yes. Is it tied somehow to psionics? yes. Is it somehow tied to the place where vestiges go? sure. Can it create a being from nothingness and give it weird characteristics? yep. Can someone use dreams to travel from one place to another? yep. Is this anything like formalized wizardry with repeatable formulas, specific components that always work like X, that you can calculate exactly what will happen? Nope... dream magic is a bit dangerous because it never quite works the same way. Practicitioners are almost like wild mages.... and in fact there are those who believe that wild mages are actually tapping into the dreaming to "enhance" their effects.... but even wild mages are nothing like a dream shaman.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2018 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000