Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 2E Forgotten Realms Map
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2024 :  03:26:45  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Once upon a time I had every single boxed set ever, and I kept my entire FR map—Icewind Dale to Evermeet to Zakhara, to the islands of Wa—all on the wall of the game room of my FLGS. 13 years ago I sold all my physical products and gave up in-person D&D. (Reasons are immaterial but legitimate).

I’ve got all the materials on PDF, but would like to recreate my map mural in my home game room now.

Any of the scribes here know how to get these things printed new without having to scour eBay?

Thanks

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2024 :  20:27:35  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Couldn't you print the pdf maps on a shop? I know some have done this.
Go to Top of Page

DewnMoutain
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2024 :  20:39:43  Show Profile Send DewnMoutain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i'll +1 the above. you should be able to find a local print shop and have maps scanned and printed to various sizes.

you know... now that it's in my head, i feel i should do the same thing with some maps i have....

Yes, i am a Blacksmith
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2024 :  22:04:53  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

Couldn't you print the pdf maps on a shop? I know some have done this.

All the PDFs I have have it broken up into 8.5”x11”sheet of paper and they’d have to be assembled like a jigsaw puzzle.

I was hoping that someone here knew of a place that had the full scans of the posters so that they could be printed on a single sheet

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
174 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2024 :  23:01:40  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Problematic. The PDFs on DM's Guild are sometimes available on Print on Demand, but haphazardly, and the maps are printed as pages of the rulebooks, not separately.

One alternative approach might be to locate copies of The Waterdeep Trail Map and the Kara-Tur Trail Map. They were large-scaled maps of Faerun and Kara-Tur that could be combined into a poster mega-map. Not as detailed as combining all the 1"=30 mile maps from the smaller sourcebooks, but probably far more economical to track down 2 resources than dozens.

I have a 2E style world map here which is huge and I know one person printed it out for a wall-sized poster map. It is more informative than decorative though. I have additional individual maps of the continents.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2024 :  23:41:51  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you could google forgotten realms 2e map and you may find something.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2024 :  17:07:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Werthead

One alternative approach might be to locate copies of The Waterdeep Trail Map and the Kara-Tur Trail Map. They were large-scaled maps of Faerun and Kara-Tur that could be combined into a poster mega-map. Not as detailed as combining all the 1"=30 mile maps from the smaller sourcebooks, but probably far more economical to track down 2 resources than dozens.

I'll note that these two maps don't go together well -- I tried that, once. I could be mistaken, but I believe it was Ed that explained that the Waterdeep map was made from the perspective of being in Waterdeep and looking east, and the Kara-Tur one would be from Kozakura looking west, so the accuracy declines the further from the origin point.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
174 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2024 :  15:02:30  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'll note that these two maps don't go together well -- I tried that, once. I could be mistaken, but I believe it was Ed that explained that the Waterdeep map was made from the perspective of being in Waterdeep and looking east, and the Kara-Tur one would be from Kozakura looking west, so the accuracy declines the further from the origin point.

I've looked over them, they seem pretty fine and consistent with the smaller maps in terms of locations.

The only significant anomaly is that the maps predate the invention of Zakhara by 3-4 years, so the coastline just drifts off southwards to nowhere in particular, but not a major problem. Certainly the two maps were designed to fit together (to the point of the borders lining up and allowing the maps to be fitted together just fine).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000