Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Maztica Alive! Workshop
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 21

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2014 :  20:34:14  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This thread was originally for the creation of the Maztica Campaign Guide, but I am editing it so that this first post contains all netbooks that have been or will be created (hopefully) in the future. There will also be the latest version of each working draft for books that are in progress. I would like to include a description for each as well to distinguish whats here from my signature.

Third Edition
Monster of the True World - Maztica and Lopango
This netbook contains dozens of monsters specifically designed and updated for the Maztica setting and creatures from Lopango and local islands as well.
The Great Skyhome - Maztica and Spelljammer
Throughout Maztica's long history, contact has been made with "The Great Skyhome" many times. This netbook describes the history of Maztica and highlights the numerous connections it has made to the Spelljammer setting in the past.
Lopango - Land of the Sacred Sun
Lopango is the Inca-based setting just to the south of Maztica. This book contains everything needed to run a campaign within this part of the True World.
Claw and Sting - Scorpionfolk of the True World
The Maztican underdark is the demesne of the dreaded scorpionfolk. This sourcebook describes their cities, culture, gods and introduces many new creatures and subspecies never before seen.
Itla Tlayohua - Something Dark: A Maztican Compilation
Itla Tlayohua means "Something Dark" in Nexalan, and this is a fitting title for this collection of legends and adventures.

Fifth Edition
TWC1-The Maztica Campaign Guide
The first in a series of books that will bring the entirety of the True World into 5th edition Dungeons and Dragons and the Forgotten Realm. This book is a fanon equivalent of the Player's Handbook for Maztica.
TWN1-Azure Skies (DRAFT)
A Maztican novel which describes the transition of the True World continent from Abeir back to Toril, and the repercussions therein.
TWA1-The Curse of Zarzumotl (DRAFT)
The first adventure for the new Maztica Campaign. In the desert of the House of Tezca a great fire has destroyed much of the young city of Tukan's stores for the year. Starvation now faces the survivors of the fire unless a brave party of adventurers can broker a trade agreement with the merchant lord of distant Kolan. The trip takes a desperate turn to an underground city that most others do not even know exists! [Netbook is being completed in collaboration with SJS from the Dragonsfoot community]

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 14 Oct 2014 01:42:42

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
237 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2014 :  10:29:56  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These Maztican netbooks are really good. I wonder, are there any other good netbooks made for other regions of Abeir Toril? Like Katashaka for example, or Anchorome and Kara-Tur? I like the idea of imperial sorcerous orcs in Katashaka.
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2014 :  12:28:48  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad you like them! I have always wanted to do Katashaka, Anchorome and even an island based netbook that relies heavily on Carribean mythology. Here is a "future product list" which seems really ambitious, but after all this is a labor of love. Of course, it will likely change with time. This list too is cross posted from the Piazza and I will set up links the moment I am out of the hospital. Posting links is rough from a cell phone haha!

Netbook VI - Maztica Basic
This book will attempt to do what D&D Basic is attempting for the game in general. The format will be similar and hopefully it will introduce a new generation of fans to the True World.

Netbook VII - Azure Skies (Novel)
This novel will be Maztica's "Sundering" novel, featuring a chosen of Qotal and a return to Toril as a backdrop.

Netbook VIII - White Sands and Turquoise Waters - Islands of the True World
The True World's answer to the myths and legends of islands like Jamaica and the Bahamas.

Netbook IX - Anchorome
A guidebook to major settlements of the northern continent. Based off of FMQ1 City of Gold and the mythology/culture of Native Americans.

Netbook X - The Seventeen Tenemos
A guide to the afterlife for Mazticans and its planar cosmology.

Netbook XI - Fangs and Feathers - Hishna and Pluma Magic
A deeper look into the magic, magical items and spellcasters of the Maztica setting.

Netbook XII - Gill and Scales - Undersea Kingdoms of the True World
All of the major undersea settlements including the sahuagin, ixitxachitl and particularly the shalarin of the sea of Corynactis.

Netbook XIII - Katashaka
The guidebook for the southern Africa based continent of Katashaka. This is where the Sleeper (the dreaded Tarrasque) will be found in the Realms!

Netbook XIV - Mezospace
An entire crystal sphere for the Spelljammer setting with entire WORLDS based on mesoamerican cultures. Can be loosely connected to Maztica.

Netbook XV - Domincus
A Ravenloft crossover with Maztica. A new domain in Ravenloft whose darklord betrayed Cordell and pushed for the eradication of the Maztican people. His hatred was so deep after the sacrifice of his daughter and his own subsequent sacrifice that he arose as powerful undead and was drawn into the mists.

At some point I think an Arcane Age Maztica would be amazing, even just a short article.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
237 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2014 :  14:35:26  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those would all be really awesome. Especially Anchorome, Katashaka and the Islands. Would be cool if you made a Illuskan colony (Viking Vinland inspired) in the north-western edges of Anchorome in addition to Native American inspirations. A sun elf colonial settlement would be cool too, given the proximity of Evermeet. They could be odds with the Poscadar Elves.

But yeah really like the ideas of those books, the blending of fantasy elements and inspiration of RW cultures and mythology, and the connection with Faerun. I have to say the Lopango book is my favourite thus far, and the ideas there make it one of the most interesting regions in Abeir Toril for me. Definitely got to use the ideas of the slave-driving sorcerous orcs of Lopango in campaigns at some point. I like that the drow there are subservient to them, orcs, heh. Also necromantic Supay Gnomes and Yagrels, savage barbarous illithids are really awesome and unique ideas.

Edited by - deserk on 21 Jul 2014 14:54:26
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2014 :  19:45:55  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deserk

Those would all be really awesome. Especially Anchorome, Katashaka and the Islands. Would be cool if you made a Illuskan colony (Viking Vinland inspired) in the north-western edges of Anchorome in addition to Native American inspirations. A sun elf colonial settlement would be cool too, given the proximity of Evermeet. They could be odds with the Poscadar Elves.

Those are going to be so much fun to do. There is nothing like having areas in Toril that are still virtually untouched. For the same reason, they are the most demanding. All I really know about Anchorome is the most general references that came in FMQ1 City of Gold and some in Gold and Glory (mostly about Balduran). I am looking most forward to researching Native American myths and applying them. Also, the Land of Mantis Men referenced in FMQ1 is going to be fun to develop. I'm likely to include all the ideas you mentioned as well.

Katashaka will be tons of fun to do as well, but i know a lot less about African mythology. Also, I only know (from the GHotR) about the Sleeper (the Tarrasque) as far as canon Katashaka goes. I believe there was also a character in a novel somewhere. In the meantime, my own players want to go there so bad I may just have to work in the marvelous Nyambe setting for the time being.

quote:
Originally posted by deserk
But yeah really like the ideas of those books, the blending of fantasy elements and inspiration of RW cultures and mythology, and the connection with Faerun. I have to say the Lopango book is my favourite thus far, and the ideas there make it one of the most interesting regions in Abeir Toril for me. Definitely got to use the ideas of the slave-driving sorcerous orcs of Lopango in campaigns at some point. I like that the drow there are subservient to them, orcs, heh. Also necromantic Supay Gnomes and Yagrels, savage barbarous illithids are really awesome and unique ideas.

I can't be certain, because I wrote it a long time ago, but I think the sorcerous orcs idea might have actually come from Nyambe.

Supay came from the god of the same name as did most of the gods of the Incans...err Natican. I just thought gnomes, other than a few spriggan here and there, haven't really gotten the "evil" treatment anywhere else.

I originally wanted to make a Predator vs. Aliens war in Lopango and someone suggested yaggol from Dragonlance. I altered them a bit to better match the Aliens and used Anadjin from Realmspace as the Predator.

As far as drow go, I loved bringing that haughty group down to orc slaves with an actual decent explanation as to how it could be possible.

All in all, that is the book I am proudest of. I had to do a lot of research on the Incans before even starting it. I am very glad someone is using the ideas, it makes it worth the work!

Old link removed for newer draft below

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 24 Aug 2014 16:28:36
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2014 :  18:55:25  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A new draft of the "Maztica Basic Netbook" is included below. New art has been added along with some major adventure hooks and a history that makes it up to the end of the events of Feathered Dragon. It still needs editing so be forgiving of the grammar.

Any thoughts on how the native Mazticans might have witnessed the transition from Toril to Abeir? Or maybe what it was like when they got there? If they are to return, what would that look like? Would the stars just suddenly change? Do they lose access to their gods? I have to think all that through to complete the history...

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 24 Aug 2014 16:28:01
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2014 :  23:44:54  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
History section is completed, though I may add in some new fanon at some point. Also got a ton of new art, including a cover that I love. There are a bunch of new spells and adventure hooks as well.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 24 Aug 2014 16:26:57
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2014 :  16:25:26  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is the most recent draft. I think that even if you don't use or care about Maztica you might get a little more out of this version because there is a lot more crunch. I'm particularly proud of the spells that have been developed and the first part of "The Artisan" base class whose archetypes will be the Plumaweaver and Hishnashaper.

Maztica Basic Draft 8-24-14

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 24 Aug 2014 16:29:39
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2014 :  18:46:20  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Seethyr, this stuff is excellent! It must not be meant for me to study anything this weekend. Erin Evans has a sample chapter of her new book, Elaine Cunningham has the first few chapters of "The Serpent's Daughter" available, and now this?? The future products you mentioned sound great too. Should we start lobbying for WOTC to give you a job? I'm already planning to lobby them to continue letting Erik Scott de Bie and Paul Kemp write more novels. (Seriously, if I get no resolution on the characters from the Erevis Cale and Shadowbane series, I might go insane.)
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2014 :  18:49:39  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, I don't know if you've ever read the Star Wars novel "Shatterpoint", but it's a fine example of how you can run a fantasy adventure on a jungle world. I think that Kar Vastor's use of the Force fits well with Maztican divine magic.
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2014 :  13:02:56  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

Hey Seethyr, this stuff is excellent! It must not be meant for me to study anything this weekend. Erin Evans has a sample chapter of her new book, Elaine Cunningham has the first few chapters of "The Serpent's Daughter" available, and now this?? The future products you mentioned sound great too. Should we start lobbying for WOTC to give you a job? I'm already planning to lobby them to continue letting Erik Scott de Bie and Paul Kemp write more novels. (Seriously, if I get no resolution on the characters from the Erevis Cale and Shadowbane series, I might go insane.)

That compliment makes the work (besides the sheer thrill of doing the writing) all worth it. I can't believe my name was even mentioned in the same paragraph with those two though!

Seriously, I would work for WotC for free if it drove them to bring Maztica back. I almost left FR for good when it got shunted to oblivion. Right now I'm just trying to determine how the natives would feel after their Return and the changes that have occurred in the past century. I'm really trying to move away from the whole Amn/Waterdeep (and even some Calishite) colonization and have the sub setting go more towards independence. My biggest goal, therefore, is to balance the power with that of mainland Faerunians.

Again, seriously, thank you for the confidence boost.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2014 :  04:44:14  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok so this I could use some advice on. I am trying to update the Plumaweaver and Hishnashaper to 5e. I am creating my own class called the Maztican "Artisan" in the exact style of the PHB but using the 2e Maztica Campaign Setting as a guide. Below is some of the info I have put together so far. I have a spell table too, but it doesn't format here well, so I am keeping it out.

Please note that there are mentions of weapons and other items here that are included in my netbook, but might not make sense in a vacuum.

THE ARTISAN OF MAZTICA

The wise old man holds his most recent weaving aloft in front of the rampaging orcs. He turns the blanket of finely spun feathers in his hand and colors pour forth. The foul beasts of the Viperhand are no match for his powerful magic and every one of them stand transfixed by the display.

The tzitzimitl smiled in wicked glee when naught but a single female stood between it and the group of human children. They would make fine tribute to his mother Itzapaplotl. The female raised a staff adorned with various fetishes and multiple jaguars appeared as if summoned from thin air. Too late this star demon realized its folly.

Sometimes feared, sometimes loved, the Maztican artisan is almost always appreciated for the protection they afford. Wise and powerful, the artisans give hope to the common man in a dangerous world.

TALENTED CRAFTERS

As their name implies, artisans are crafters. The typical artisan spends the vast majority of their downtime developing great talismans of pluma or hishna magic.

When battle eventually comes and the enemy does not fall to a barrage of arrows, these items can turn the tide of battle.

GUARDIANS

Though many live as hermits outside of the major centers of population, the artisans almost always chose a community which they feel is under their protection. The size of the community is not generally proportional to the power of the artisan and woe to the attacker who believes a small jungle village to be easy plunder.

CREATING AN ARTISAN

Though many artisans feel perfectly content to remain in their home villages or cities, there are many reasons for one to become an adventurer.

You need to decide for your character exactly what this reason is. Is she motivated by increasing his power? Does she believe that they are serving their community better by exploring the world? Perhaps there is a specific threat which they want to end?

Many artisan adventurers quest to find inspiration in their craft and some even do so to collect rare feathers (plumaweavers) or the fangs and talons of terrible beasts (hishnashapers).

QUICK BUILD
You can make an artisan quickly by following these suggestions. First, Wisdom should be your highest ability score, followed by Dexterity. Choose the hermit background whether you are a plumaweaver or a hishnashaper. As a plumaweaver, choose the cantrips light, ray of frost and tickle as well as the first level spell bird charm. As a hishnashaper, choose jaguar claw, shocking grasp, true strike and the 1st level spell cat charm.

CLASS FEATURES

As an artisan of Maztica, you have the following class features.

Hit Points

Hit Dice: 1d8 per artisan level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 8 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8 (or 5) + your Constitution modifier per artisan level after 1st.

Proficiencies

Armor: Light Armor
Weapons: Simple weapons, tlahhuitolli (plumaweaver) or ahtlatl (hishnashaper)
Tools: Artisan’s bag
Saving Throws: Dexterity, Wisdom
Skills: Choose four from Animal Handling, Arcana, History, Medicine, Nature, Insight, Perception, Sleight of Hand, Survival

Equipment

You start with the following equipment in addition to the equipment granted by your background:

• (a) an ahtlatl with 20 yaomitl or (b) a tlahhuitolli with 20 arrows
• (a) a component pouch or (b) an arcane focus
• An artisan’s bag

SPELLCASTING

The talented and dexterous fingers that allow you to create such amazing talismans also allow you to manipulate the powerful forces of pluma or hishna.

CANTRIPS
At 1st level, you know three cantrips of your choice from the artisan spell list. You learn additional artisan cantrips at higher levels as shown in the Cantrips Known column of the Artisan table.
If you are a plumaweaver, you may not choose a cantrip with a hishna tag, and if you are a hishnashaper, you may not choose a cantrip with a pluma tag.

SPELL SLOTS
The Artisan table shows how many spells you have to cast your spells of 1st level and higher.
To cast one of these artisan spells, you must expend a spell slot of the spell’s level or higher. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest.

SPELLS KNOWN OF 1ST LEVEL AND HIGHER
You know two 1st-level spells of your choice from the artisan spell list. The Spells Known column in the Artisan’s table shows you when you learn more artisan spells of your choice. Each of these spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots.
When you gain a level in this class, you can choose to replace one of the artisan spells you know with another on the artisan spell list. This spell must also be of a level for which you have spell slots.
If you are a plumaweaver, you may never choose any spells with the hishna tag, and if you are a hishnashaper, you may never choose any spells with a pluma tag.

SPELLCASTING ABILITY
Wisdom is the spellcasting ability for your artisan spells because the power in your magic relies on you to weave magic into the world using your devotion to your craft. You use your Wisdom whenever a spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your Wisdom modifier for setting the saving throw DC for an artisan spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.

Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Wisdom modifier

Spell attack modifier = your proficiency bonus + your Wisdom modifier

ARTISAN SPELLS

CANTRIPS (0 LEVEL)
Dancing Lights
Jaguar Claw
Light
Shocking Grasp
Tickle
True Strike

1ST LEVEL
Animal Friendship
Animal Senses
Arrowflight
Bird Charm
Cat Charm
Color Spray
Cool
Create or Destroy Water
Elevate
Expeditious Retreat
False Life
Feather Darts
Feather Fall
Hishnahide
Identify
Longstrider
Obsidian Shards
Plumastone
Snake Charm
Speak with Animals
Spearflight
Stoneflight
Warmth

2ND LEVEL
Animal Messenger
Barkskin
Beast Sense
Breathsense
Continual Flame
Eagle Flyby
Exhausting Wave
Gentle Repose
Gust of Wind
Hold Person
Jaguar Pounce
Kiltzi’s Love
Locate Animals or Plants
Magic Weapon
Mirror Image
Scalesnare
Slashing Plumage

3RD LEVEL
Bafflement
Bestow Curse
Breath of Qotal
Eyes of the Jaguar Lord
Feign Death
Gaseous Form
Haste
Hypnotic Pattern
Magnificent Headdress
Nondetection
Protection from Hishna
Protection from Pluma
Remove Curse
Sending
Slow
Water Breathing
Water Walk
Zaltec’s Fury

4TH LEVEL
Blight
Confusion
Control Water
Fabricate
Giant Eagle
Greater Invisibility
Hallucinatory Terrain
Locate Creature
Stoneskin

5TH LEVEL
Awaken
Creation
Dream
Geas
Hold Monster
Insect Plague
Legend Lore
Omen
Passwall
Path of the Pochteca
Seeming

ARTISAN ARCHETYPE
Choose an artisan archetype, which describes the source of your power and the type of crafting you will undertake. Choose either plumaweaver or hishnashaper. Both are detailed at the end of this class description.
Your choice grants you features when you choose it at 1st level and again at 7th, 11th and 15th level.

CRAFT TALISMAN
Crafting talismans of pluma and hishna are the main abilities of artisans and their great works are known throughout the True World.
There are four levels of ability for crafting talismans. At 2nd level an artisan may craft a minor talisman, at 9th level they may craft normal talisman, at 17th level, major talismans can be crafted and finally at 20th level, the artisan may make a legendary talisman.
Minor talismans are one shot items, which have a single use and then become inert. Such magical items may emulate a spell of levels 1-2 and take one hour per level of the spell to craft. As long as the crafter has an artisan’s bag, the cost in making the item is negligible. A crafter may have no more than five minor talismans crafted at any given time. If he attempts to make additional minor talismans beyond the five, the effort is wasted.
When the artisan reaches 9th level and is able to craft normal talismans, he can now create permanent items. The items may also emulate spells of up to 5th level, but now they take a full week per spell level to craft. Normal talismans cost half the amount to craft as a normal magic item. There is no limit to how many normal talismans the artisan can craft.
At 17th level, the artisan can now create permanent items that emulate spells of all levels. The items take a full month per level of the item to craft and cost one-half the normal amount to do so. There is no limit to how many talismans of this sort may be created.
At 20th level, the artisan may spend a full year crafting an item of such magnificence, that it will be spoken of in legends for years to come. The Cloak of One-Plume, for example, was an act of legendary plumaweaving said to have been created by Qotal himself. Using this ability is the crowning achievement of an artisan’s lifetime and can only be done once. A price cannot be put on the actual construction as the artisan must gather the rarest of feathers from the most magical of creatures (for a plumaweaver), or the fangs, claws and venom of the most terrible beasts (for a hishnashaper).
Artisans may continually craft even while adventuring. In brief moments of peace between encounters, the hands of an artisan continually work to create their marvelous items. Artisans do not need to continually focus on the task in order to craft.
Crafting talismans is actually therapeutic to an artisan and when one is in the process of creation, the artisan gains advantage on any save against psychic damage.

RANGED WEAPON BONUS

As part of their training, both plumaweavers and hishnashapers become excellent marksmen with specific ranged weapons. Plumaweavers train in the use of the Maztican war bow known as the tlahhu#299;t#333;lli. At 3rd level plumaweavers receive a +1 bonus to hit when attacking with one of these weapons. At 13th level, this bonus increases to +2. Similarly, the hishnashaper receives the same bonus when using an ahtlatl.

DISTANT RANGED WEAPON SPELL
At 6th level an artisan gains a spell which increases the range of their preferred weapon. Plumaweavers add arrowflight to their spell list in addition to whatever spells they already know. It is not considered a part of their total. Also, they may cast the spell once in between short or long rests without using a spell slot. Hishnashapers receive all the same benefits with the spell spearflight.

ARTISAN ARCHETYPES

Upon creation of an artisan, the source of the artisan’s power must be decided. The two brands of magic are wholly different and determine the majority of abilities. The ranged weapon bonus, the distant ranged weapon bonus spell, the types of talismans they can create, and the spells on their spell list are all affected by this initial choice.

In addition, the artisan has the following abilities based on which archetype is chosen.

THE PLUMAWEAVER

BIRD CHARMER

At 7th level a plumaweaver gains becomes attuned to the natural world of avians and can communicate with all such creatures. Bird calls become entirely understandable to the plumaweaver and the avians can understand the plamaweaver as well. In addition, any attempt to charm a bird or bird-like creature (determined by DM) has advantage.

DEVOTED GUARDIAN

At 11th level a plumaweaver is immune to all fear affects when acting in defense of his home, community or friends.

INCUBATOR

At 15th level, a plumaweaver is under the effect of the spell incubator. This may only be used once per year, and the incubation chamber must be created as described in the spell’s description at full cost.

THE HISHNASHAPER

VIRULENCE

At 7th level, the hishnashaper can add poison to the damage caused by the cantrip jaguar claws. This is an additional 2d4 poison damage, but a successful Constitution wisdom save (against the hishnashaper’s spell DC) will only amount to half damage.

FEARSOME APPEARANCE

At 7th level, a hishnashaper’s features change subtly to become more predatory. All normal beasts must make a Wisdom save (DC 8 + the hishnashaper’s Wisdom bonus), or they will suffer disadvantage when attacking the hishnashaper.

NATURAL POISON IMMUNITY

At 11th level a hishnashaper is immune to all poisons which are derived from the natural venoms of creatures. They gain advantage on saving throws against all other poisons as well.

[EDIT] Edited and updated

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 05 Sep 2014 02:45:11
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2014 :  07:26:12  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great job ... I love Maztica!!!!

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2014 :  09:46:17  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really fascinating stuff, really shows it was stupid from WOTC to smash Maztica with piece of another planet, instead, of developing it properly.
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2014 :  22:18:36  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe, just maybe, it'll come back this time around. All the work I am putting into this and Id still be SO happy to see it all officially contradicted just to get some more official material to work with.

Thank you all for the kind comments too :-)

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2014 :  03:39:26  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently posted this over at the Piazza, but I am actually considering making one of these my own characters. Hopefully, it is well balanced.

This subclass was inspired by these guys.

SORCEROUS ORIGINS

Sorcerers have not always been known in Maztica and few have had the bloodlines to allow for the manifestation of that kind of power. As in many instances, however, the True World has changed greatly in the previous few centuries.

NAHUALLI

When Maztica was torn from Toril over a century ago, the pervasive magics of pluma and hishna divided and combined in unpredictable ways. Most of the raw, unleashed magic was lost into the ether, but some found its way deeper into the world of spirits and from there into the souls of unborn children. These children found that they could tap into the powers of both magics. Their tonalli also twinned, forming an animal-like spirit half which are also known as nahualli (but is usually referred to as a “spirit twin”). Generations of these sorcerous men and women have now come and gone and no one can predict when or where these blessed folk might appear.

PLUMA AND HISHNA PRACTITIONERS

Nahualli are identified early by their uncanny ability to manipulate the forces of both pluma and hishna. A nahualli may choose spells from either the pluma or hishna tag to add to their spells known at 1st level and beyond.

SPIRIT TWIN

At 1st level, a nahualli sorcerer travels in his dreams to the world of spirits and meets his spirit twin. The sorcerer coaxes this being to accompany him back to the land of mortals to serve and protect. This early connection is vey similar to the connection a caster may have with a familiar from the find familiar spell. The spirit twin can appear in the form of a bat, tapir (boar stats), constrictor snake, mastiff, jaguar (panther stats), poisonous snake or wolf. The spirit twin may only choose one of these forms but otherwise acts the same as a familiar. Thus, it always obeys your commands, it can communicate telepathically with you within 100 feet, and can temporarily be dismissed into a pocket dimension (actually the world of spirits). Your spirit twin may also deliver touch spells of as if you had cast them. The spirit twin is either a celestial, fey or a fiend and cannot be slain. If the spirit twin would otherwise have been killed by an attack it is banished to the spirit world where you may once again summon it in your dreams during a long rest. Unlike familiars, the nahualli may travel whatever distance from you that you wish (on the same plane), however, it does not generally like to do so.

SPIRIT TWIN SHAPECHANGER

Starting at 6th level, your spirit twin can shapechange as a bonus action on any round into any of the shapes listed under Spirit Twin above. It may also change into the form of a brown bear, dire wolf, giant eagle, giant spider or reef shark.

ADVANCED SPIRIT TWIN

Starting at 14th level, choose one of your known spells. You may transfer the ability to cast this spell to your spirit twin. If it does cast the spell, the spirit twin uses one of your spell slots just as if you had cast the spell yourself and as long as the spirit twin has this ability you are incapable of casting the transferred spell yourself. After a long rest you may swap the transferred spell for another which you know. At this point, the spirit twin is also better at keeping itself alive and can become invisible as an action on its turn. If it then takes an attack action, the invisibility is dropped. It must use an additional action to become invisible once again.

SHARED SPIRIT

Beginning at 18th level, your spirit twin becomes so in tune with your own spirit that the two of you almost become one. Add the hit points of your spirit twin (based off of whatever form it is currently using) to your own and then divide the resulting hit points among the two of you. If the spirit twin changes shape, adjust the hit points accordingly. An extra hit point from an odd total goes to the sorcerer. The spirit twin however, is now resistant to all forms of magical damage and therefore any spell damage other than piercing, slashing or bludgeoning made against it by a spell suffer disadvantage on the damage that is caused. As a reaction when you take damage, you can dismiss the spirit twin to transfer all of its remaining hit points to yourself. If this reaction is used, however, the spirit twin may not be summoned again until after a long rest.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 05 Sep 2014 03:43:24
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2014 :  00:47:51  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry these posts are coming so fast, but I am currently developing Maztican subclasses and classes and I am very concerned about game balance. Any thoughts on if these classes are underpowered or overpowered are greatly appreciated.

Here is my one and only Rogue subclass I am working on. In 30 years of gaming, I have never played a thief or other rogue type. Seriously! So I have so little clue if this would work.

In the Aztec empire, there were no prisons - so like in my description below, justice was swift and brutal. The class is therefore NOT a thief, but rather a well respected traveler known as a pochteca. These guys held a lot of power with the Aztecs and I am trying to garner that feeling here as well. I hope I am doing them justice...

ROGUISH ARCHETYPE

Even the kindliest of the nations and regions in Maztica have strict, if not brutal punishments for crime. It is not unusual to find a thief sentenced to death by hanging or stoning on the spot when convicted. The native Mazticans rarely use prisons so punishment must be swift and efficient.

Because of this deterrent, thievery has always been kept to a minimum, with notable exceptions among the newcomers. However, the skills of a rogue have certainly found importance elsewhere in the True World.

POCHTECA

The pochteca are traveling merchants of the True World. They trade their goods from one side of the continent to the other and a venerable pochteca has seen more of the True World than any other dozen folk combined.

Pochteca are also consummate spies and are greatly valued by Revered Counselors and other rulers. Typically, a pochteca has a standing just below most nobles in Maztican society and harassing one is often punished with swift death.

Natural explorers, the pochteca are ideal for an adventuring party.

DIRECTION SENSE

At 3rd level, pochteca always inherently know which directions are north, south, east or west. They also gain advantage when making a Wisdom (Survival) check in order to not become lost and to forage while doing so.

TOOL USE

A pochteca gains proficiency in the use of a disguise kit and herbalism kit at 3rd level.

EXPERT TRAVELER

At 9th level a pochteca gains blindsight. She does not require light in order to be perfectly aware of her surroundings. The pochteca may also cast the spell animal senses on herself once between every long rest.

BUILT FOR SPEED

You can dash as a bonus action for your turn when you reach 13th level. Also, difficult terrain no longer affects your movement.

UNCANNY AWARENESS

At 17th level, you can no longer be surprised and you have advantage when rolling for initiative.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 06 Sep 2014 00:50:09
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2014 :  01:16:17  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
New draft is up. There is some random artwork in the middle that I plan to use a little later, so don't mind it please.

Maztica Basic 9-6-14

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 07 Sep 2014 01:16:48
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2014 :  03:31:07  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not posting another draft yet, but I want to share my most recent addition. In this other thread, I posted a write up of my version of the tabaxi as a player race with a few homebrew subraces. Here is another new playable race. Critiques of course welcome.

Artwork for the Quetzaldaun

This is a race of eagle folk who are descended (rather transformed) from the aeree and aarakocra by the god Qotal in response to the dragon attacks that nearly wiped them out ages in the past. They feel that they owe their existence (rightfully so) to the deity.

QUETZALDAUN

The dragonne were particularly ornery this time of year and Huitzi knew she would need to be vigilant in defense of her nest. Twice before, had the dragon-horse come to steal and eat her precious eggs and twice she hurled the creature’s broken bodies on the rocks below.

Huitzi had found her home a few moons past following the death of her husband. Now the last of his offspring was set to hatch and the growing boys in her nest had yet to find their first flight.

Huitzi scanned the horizon and saw the glint of the sun off of many golden scales. Three dragonne approached and she was certain that she couldn’t handle the odds. Huitzi turned to prepare her children but then the two eldest emerged from the cave. Oh, how Aaracotl and Xiatem resembled their father! With a look of grim determination in their eyes and a spear embedded with razor sharp obsidian, her children spoke nearly in unison. “Mother, we stand ready to fight beside you. Do not fear for us.”

In the highest mountains and cliffs of the True World dwells a race of bird like humanoids that have been practically unknown for generations. Similar in many ways to aarakocra, yet also different in not so subtle ways, these bird folk are more akin to eagles than to parrots. They are the quetzaldaun. The eagle folk claim that they indeed were once of the progenitor race of creatures from which the aarakocra were created, but the god Qotal blessed them long ago with their current powerful forms.

The quetzaldaun avoided humanity for untold generations but recent events have left many without a home. Harboring an intense hatred for all dragonkind, these humanoids have found that mankind can be excellent allies in the quest to preserve what is left of their once proud culture.

CLIFF DWELLERS

The quetzaldaun have managed to remain hidden from mankind for so long because they lair in the most remote reaches of the highest mountains. Deep tunnels are often dug into the sides of the steepest cliffs where only those with the ability to fly can reach. Climbing in such regions is far too treacherous.
Unlike aarakocra who tend to dwell in large communities (or “rookeries”), the quetzaldaun are fairly independent and live in smaller, tight families. Elders claim this is a survival adaptation from ancient days when dragons wiped out entire communities of their predecessors, the aeree.

DEVOUT AND GRATEFUL

The quetzaldaun were saved from extinction and changed into their current forms ages ago by the Plumed God Qotal. This part of their history is well known and passed down through the generations. Quetzaldaun pray thanks to the god in daily observances and it is a rare eagle folk that does not worship the Feathered Dragon.
It is ironic to many that the quetzaldaun are so fanatical in their devotion to this draconic god considering that in all other cases, dragon and their kin are the sworn enemies of the quetzaldaun.

QUETZALDAUN NAMES

The quetzaldaun have names similar to other humanoids in the True World, but each has a root or single syllable that means “eagle” in one of the local languages. Family names are generally similar to both male and female first names with the syllables quet- or qot- appended to the front. For example, Quetaquitl is the name of a well-known (and rather large) family.
Male Names: Arascot1, Aquitl, Arvidotl, Cuauhtemoc, Ethonitl, Mokotl, Orelipochtli, Xiatem
Female Names: Akilina, Arnaudl, Aquilitil, Delinipactli, Huitzi, Ikitipitl, Tristinetepoc

QUETZALDAUN TRAITS

Your quetzaldaun character has the following traits in common with all other quetzaldaun.

Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 2. Your Wisdom also increases by 1.
Age. Quetzaldaun are not known to live terribly long lives. They are considered to hae reached maturity at a very young age. Anywhere from 6-8 years old a quetzaldaun attempts its “first flight” and is forever after considered an adult. In rare instances a young quetzaldaun fails to be ready and can end up dead or severely injured.
Quetzaldaun can live to 60 years but rarely go beyond that limit.
Alignment. Quetzaldaun follow the edicts of their god Qotal strictly and even eagle folk who are raised outside of a quetzaldaun family feel the deity’s pull. Therefore, most tend towards an inherent goodness and maintain a generally lawful outlook. There are certainly exceptions to this tendency.
Size. Quetzaldaun are tall but light. A typical adult stands anywhere from 6 to 7 feet tall, yet might only weigh 120 lb. The weight is mostly attributed to their hollow bone structure as the eagle folk in no way appear frail.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet. You may also fly at 40 feet.
Eagle Eyes. Quetzaldaun vision is outstanding. They can see three times the distance of humans in near perfect detail. They also gain advantage on Wisdom (Perception) rolls based on sight.
Fear Immunity. Quetzaldaun are not susceptible to any form of magical fear.
Dragon Foes. Quetzaldaun gain advantage on all Wisdom (Survival) checks when attempting to track a dragon or any dragon kin, as well as Intelligence checks to recall information about them.
Languages. You can speak, read and write in both draconic and Maztican.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 13 Sep 2014 03:31:52
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2014 :  05:37:42  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Newest draft. I am having so much fun putting this together! MAC1 - Maztica Campaign Guide - 5th Edition

Lots of formatting changes, edits, and some new material.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2014 :  05:51:44  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The new draft is ready to go. It has a lot of new stuff, hope everyone enjoys it.

Please note that there is still material missing and this is just a draft so some of the formatting is off.

Maztica Campaign Guide Draft 9-30-2014

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2014 :  06:37:23  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is an impressive pile of work. And grats on pulling some artists together. I thought I had commented on this earlier, but maybe I was just thinking about it. I've been thinking about working on something similar with Al-Qadim... not the netbook angle but developing the setting for the new edition. I've long wanted to run an Al-Qadim campaign, and now that Encounters has brought a bunch of players into my local-ish game store it seems feasible. Anyway, good goin on Maztica. I'm looking forward to reading all this.
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2014 :  12:18:49  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

This is an impressive pile of work. And grats on pulling some artists together. I thought I had commented on this earlier, but maybe I was just thinking about it.

Anyway, good goin on Maztica. I'm looking forward to reading all this.

Thank you so much! Without the artists, I'm afraid it wouldn't be quite the same. I continue to be amazed at how generous the artists were, particularly some who just say, "Sure, I'll whip that up for you" which has happened!

quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh
I've been thinking about working on something similar with Al-Qadim... not the netbook angle but developing the setting for the new edition. I've long wanted to run an Al-Qadim campaign, and now that Encounters has brought a bunch of players into my local-ish game store it seems feasible.

I would highly recommend going for it. I have found this type of writing and the research that goes with it to be therapeutic and calming. A little every night - meanwhile during the day ideas and connections just pop up at the most random times. I'm sure your players would love it.

It still has me wondering though, will Al Qadim, Maztica, the Horde - even just obscure areas like the Utter East or the Great Glacier ever get their own supplements again like in the 2e heyday? I miss those days when it seemed like every month there was somewhere new and unique to explore.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 30 Sep 2014 12:19:43
Go to Top of Page

Wolfhound75
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2014 :  17:02:04  Show Profile Send Wolfhound75 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Seethyr!

Looks like you've been busy in the two years since you sent me the draft copy, which by the way, I put to very good use in my campaign.

I've always enjoyed the well constructed ties to ancient cultures that were in your work. I'm very happy to see that you've continued to expand Maztica while I've been pulled away by the reality of the last several years.

Good Hunting!

"Firepower - if it's not working, you're not using enough." ~ Military Proverb

"If at first you do succeed, you must've rolled a natural 20!"
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2014 :  23:47:06  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfhound75

Hey Seethyr!

Looks like you've been busy in the two years since you sent me the draft copy, which by the way, I put to very good use in my campaign.

I've always enjoyed the well constructed ties to ancient cultures that were in your work. I'm very happy to see that you've continued to expand Maztica while I've been pulled away by the reality of the last several years.

Good Hunting!

Ahh great to hear from you again! Real life annoyingly seems to get in the way, lol.

I am hoping to update the books from my signature (which I believe you were referring to the scorpionfolk book) at some point in the future. It's oddly easy with the streamlined new rules. Monsters were such a pain to stat up in 3e.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 01 Oct 2014 23:47:48
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2014 :  05:02:09  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps a week from completion, here is the newest draft of the Maztican Campaign Guide

Since last time, I have added new Gods, Locations, Monsters and even Planes. All that is left to do is to write up some magic items (hard to do without some rules from the DMG) and a mini adventure/encounter I want to go with it. Enjoy!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2014 :  13:30:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting this!

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2014 :  22:39:14  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Thanks for posting this!

You're welcome! I hope you enjoy it.

I am very pleased to announce that at a final count of 89 pages, the Maztican Campaign Guide is officially done!

I skimped a bit before the final editing because my eyes are bleeding after writing this long, but if there are typos, they'll be addressed and the link will be updated. Other than that, I hope this encourages someone to give Maztica a chance :-)

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2064 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2014 :  23:20:40  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The artwork really jumps out, especially the cover piece.

On a quick skim, the research and writing looks great!

Really nice job!

--Eric

quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Thanks for posting this!

You're welcome! I hope you enjoy it.

I am very pleased to announce that at a final count of 89 pages, the Maztican Campaign Guide is officially done!

I skimped a bit before the final editing because my eyes are bleeding after writing this long, but if there are typos, they'll be addressed and the link will be updated. Other than that, I hope this encourages someone to give Maztica a chance :-)

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2014 :  23:14:25  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

The artwork really jumps out, especially the cover piece.

On a quick skim, the research and writing looks great!

Really nice job!

--Eric

Oh thank you!!!

Yeah, I'm afraid what I write wouldn't be worth its digital ink sometimes without the great artwork these guys let me use. I am very happy that they seem to like getting the extra exposure for their art. It's win-win.

Also, my only hope in doing this is that someone gets to enjoy the setting like I do. I still think Al Qadim, the Horde and Maztica were my favorite parts of the Realms. I love the non-European mythology base. Along with 2e Chult and the Great Glacier, I think the Realms diversity is unmatched.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

novaseven
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2014 :  21:30:02  Show Profile Send novaseven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just wanted to say that your work inspired me to play a Maztican character in our 5e game. It's an angle that I never would have considered, and its led to some amazing roleplay opportunities. Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 21 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000