Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Maztica Alive! Workshop
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
6674 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2018 :  00:56:00  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Okay, figured out exactly what I did wrong.

The Katashaka map was originally supposed to be at the exact same scale as the continental map (so that they could be put together later). When I work on maps, I always set my canvas size to 8½ x 11, so I will know what it will look like printed out on a standard sheet of paper, and also, so it will fit neatly in a pdf (without turning the damn things sideways! Why is it so hard for publishers today to understand most people no longer own physical books they can turn sideways?!). However, as I began the map, I decided I want all of 'Tabaxiland' and Lopango to show, so instead of expanding my canvas (and violating my own 'page size' rule), I decreased the map size to 80%, so that everything would fit properly. Unfortunately, when I pasted the map scale in from the other map, I forgot to do the resizing to the scale as well, and thats what happened there. I am not sure if I should violate my own rule and increase the canvas size, just so to maintain continuity. That may be the simplest way to proceed. This only pertains to the Katashaka map, and I can still keep the ratios correct so it will print-out nicely on page.

I have not yet gone back into the Maztica map itself, but as I said, that scale seems to be fairly close. I'll play with that next, and the corrected scale will be on the finished (labeled) map.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread...

EDIT:
That means my projections on how Returned Abeir fit into Maz were also off. So now the tiny bit of northern coast would be gone as well - Laerakond should have PERFECTLY replaced Maztica, minus the Lopango and City of Gold regions. That makes it much more unlikely New Waterdeep was able to survive (on either planet).

I am fairly impressed they bothered (in 4e) to get anything 'that right'.

And this goodsir is why all of my maps will not have any kind of reference whatsoever to what their scale is, as well as having the big disclaimer of "this is a rough idea, thrown together by multiple cartographers to try and capture the shape of things". I have no clue what scale my maps are from one to the other. I envy your detail.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15245 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2018 :  01:14:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol - I figured out a little trick years ago. Considering the problems I run into on some of Mike Schley's maps, I may share it with him the next time I go to Gencon (and save us both a lot of grief).

The distances only start to matter in adventures - especially ones with a 'timeline' (you have to get certain thigs done by a certain day or you 'fail' that part of the adventure).

Also, it would help if certain authors learned how to read maps... there is a stereotype I am trying avoid here...

Lets just say when a young girl and a dwarf get on a pony and ride it 200 miles in less than a day, I start to think that either someone has taken the words 'fantasy novel' a bit too far, or The Realms have some mighty amazing ponies!

And this particular demograghic should know better than most that size matters.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 09 Feb 2018 01:14:45
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15245 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2018 :  07:17:28  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking for inspiration for the Orc thread, and I found some great art for Katashaka races! I wonder if I can talk him into letting me use these? He said he did them for a story he was working on... maybe he wants a map.

EDIT:
Nevermind... looking through his portfolio... he is WAY too good, and a pro. No way I'm gettin' any freebies there. Oh well.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Feb 2018 07:21:30
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
6674 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2018 :  15:19:51  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
His bird folk - body wise - are what I'm picturing already for my Parrot and Toucan folk. I'm picturing with totally different colorations, and different head entirely though. The stork folk I'm picturing have even less of a hand (they do everything with their feet and beak, but maybe their end feathers can be wiggled around for spell work). More like this cartoon,

https://d2gg9evh47fn9z.cloudfront.net/800px_COLOURBOX3460813.jpg

I'm also having an island that I'll leave as little known about that has more water fowl (Pelicans, seagulls, ducks) humanoids.... and yes, partly why I'm not delving it a whole lot is that it starts looking like Donald Duck land. I'm also gonna steal a concept from Seethyr as well, and with these "Pelica Islands" I'm going to put another island a little further south and put penguin folk on it.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15245 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2018 :  18:31:29  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I'm going to put another island a little further south and put penguin folk on it.
Happy Feet?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15245 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2018 :  18:43:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm probably going to break the Katashaka stuff off of this thread soon. I still want it all synchronized, but I almost have enough for a setting-base written out, and its WAY too much information to stick here. It may even be too much for CK - I'll be starting a page over on the Piazza, eventually. Unfortunately, the project may have outgrown me, which is another reason I should move it over there. What started out as a simple conversion has turned into a monumental, full-blown setting (I have over 100 monsters already). Its a CONTINENT, for Odin's Sake! What was I thinking?

EDIT:
I got the REAL Anchoromé mapped today. I'm pretty happy with it, but I have to go back in and make a few adjustment - the mountains on the main island (Eskember) are supposed to ride the coast, not be in the center. Otherwise, though, I think it look pretty snappy, and they fit Ed's lore perfectly. It also makes a great 'stepping stone' location for folks traveling to Maztica (lets just ignore the fact that Cordell missed the islands completely... despite the fact they were fairly well known...)

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Feb 2018 05:05:55
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15245 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2018 :  05:28:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I just realized that lower Katshaka - despite what it shows on the FRIA maps - can NOT be cold. When I did my FR Timeszones map I built that using a RW Earth map, since the two planets are very close in size (Toril is ever so slightly smaller). Thus, even though Toril doesn't even have the concept of 'timezones', or lattitude and longitude, they would still apply in precisely the same manner. By taking the width of the planet (which we do have with thos maps), I can extrapolate the height (it should be roughly the same - it IS a globe, after all). Most world maps (real and fantasy) cut off a LOT top and bottom, because it just useless empty space. The same goes for the FR maps (and you really can't argue that point - its not 'homebrew' - the planet HAS TO BE as tall as it is wide, so in other words, the height of a world map has to be exactly one half the length). And since I had both a canon equator and one canon latitude, I was able to accurately extrapolate all the rest of the data as well.

All that being said, I still have my original files from when I made that map, and I have an earth map superimposed on it in another layer. The bottom of Katashaka falls-out quite a bit higher than the tip of South America. The very tip of Chile (small islands) sits at about 55º, whereas Katashaka's southernmost tip sits at about 47º, and Chile is still pretty far away from the Arctic circle. Thus, its not icy there (which also means Eberron is a small planet, which is what threw me off, since I was copying Xendrik). It also means the other larger island - the one I've named Maugolkroth (I'm not as 'in love' with that name as when I first thought of it) - is also not cold. Latitudinally, that places it just below south Africa, so nice and warm (we also have a similar axial tilt).

I still get frost giants though - they live high in the Mountains, and Katashaka has some insanely high mountains. It does look like I am going to loose my white-furred gnolls and my 'Ice-mazons'. Ah, well.

Edited by - Markustay on 15 Feb 2018 05:29:51
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15245 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2018 :  06:38:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking for art earlier in the other thread, I cam across THIS GUY and his body of work. There is quite a bit of insanely good stuff there we can draw inspiration from. Apparently he does LOTS of work for game companies, and has even done concept-art for Star Wars. I found a lot of Africanesque stuff that he did for Paizo/Pathfinder, so now I have to go look through what they've doe the past few years. I was following them closely, until I heard 5e was coming out (and FR was going back to how it was). So anything that's happened since then - including anything they've done with their own psuedo-Africa (Mwangi Expanse... 'Mwangi' is just so much fun to say! ) I am out-of-the-loop.

Also, he's down some WotC work, including stuff for MtG, like the Baloth, so we can probably use it (not the art, the creature, but at least there is art 'out there' to reference what we are talking about). He also did quite a few pieces for the 4e Dark Sun Creature Catalog, and some of those Dark Sun critters are perfect for a 'Savage Land'. Going through that book now...

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Feb 2018 06:39:36
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2018 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000