Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Why haven't YOU bought Shadowbane?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2012 :  01:08:06  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@hawkytom: Swords high!

@Sightless: Yes. Just haven't had time to respond.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2012 :  01:59:01  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

quote:

Interesting theories! Ah, Shadowbane 4 would answer so many questions. If only...
Wait...there isn't going to be a 4th one? I still haven't finished Eye of Justice, but there is so much going on and so much potentional...
Oh, there will be a 4th one. I'm going to write it. The question is whether WotC will buy it and publish it. At the moment, I have no contract for a fourth Shadowbane novel--the majority of their writers got shut down going into the Sundering event, and the book department is focusing all their resources on those six books. It leaves writers like me, Jaleigh, Bruce, Lisa, Rosemary, etc., out in the cold for a while, and we can only hope that WotC picks our stories back up when they're able to expand beyond the Sundering.

If you want to do something about this, pressure WotC to publish more Shadowbane and other non-Sundering novels. Post reviews of the Shadowbane series (here's my guide to writing reviews), and talk it up to your friends. The more copies it moves, the better placed I am to continue the series.

Cheers

If Wizards really does pay attention to reviews on places like Amazon, then I'm going to go back and review series I've read awhile back who I think need either a follow-series or at the very least a sequel. And I know a lot of time is being devoted to the Sundering, but the first one doesn't come out til...next August, right? Surely there is time before that, and after of course! There is a lot of sequels I would like to see!

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2012 :  04:53:21  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and to add to the ebook argument. In some ways, I can understand them: they take up less room, and they save trees. But on the other hand, having books in physical form is a way of adviretiment for the author. People can see what you are reading, the name of the author, etc. I would think this would benefit WotC, too. Plus, we already have a growing problem of people not reading in the 21st century (and I don't just mean illiteracy, though that is an issue, too. I mean not reading in general). Ebooks, IMO, will only increase this problem. Granted, I buy a lot of my books on Amazon, because even with the cost of shipping, they have good deals, and it usually takes less time to shop online than it does to go to the bookstore. But I still support the bookstores, and again, it is often easier to adviretize in a bookstore than it is online, IMO. I think I made this argument before on this very thread, but since ebook is a hot topic of discussion, I thought I'd add to it.

I heard also that authors get paid less when their work is published in digital format. Is this true? And there is nothing like the smell of a book! I love that smell! But we need to come up with a way to make paper that doesn't involve murdering trees.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2012 :  04:59:06  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Working my way to these, eventually, as I begin to clear up my backlog of Realms novels.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2012 :  07:01:16  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh, and to add to the ebook argument. In some ways, I can understand them: they take up less room, and they save trees. But on the other hand, having books in physical form is a way of adviretiment for the author. People can see what you are reading, the name of the author, etc. I would think this would benefit WotC, too.
Absolutely. The product is its own advertisement in part. When you're dealing with ebook only, just convincing people the boom exists is hard enough.

quote:
I heard also that authors get paid less when their work is published in digital format. Is this true?
Yes and no. Responsible publishers usually pay authors a greater royalty rate for digital copies, as there's less publishing cost involved. But you tend to sell many fewer copies. Of course, if you get stuck with a small royalty rate, you're screwed both ways.

quote:
And there is nothing like the smell of a book! I love that smell! But we need to come up with a way to make paper that doesn't involve murdering trees.
Wrll, there's always industrial hemp.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2012 :  17:43:42  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

I have Downshadow and enjoyed it but as there are no proper novels for the rest of the series, I dont intend to continue reading it. ( no offense to anyone but I don't consider e books to be proper novels and am not interested in purchasing them).

I appreciate the "no offense meant" attitude, but that is indeed an offensive statement to those of us who have slaved months or even years to produce a novel, only to have it dismissed as "not a proper novel" because WotC (in their vast wisdom) decide (without consulting the author) to release it only as an ebook.

I personally understand what you mean, but I suggest you not diffuse this attitude elsewhere, so as not to anger a lot of people.

Also, I suspect you missed one of the points I made before, which is that I am trying my HARDEST to get to a place where paper copies are available. If this means print-on-demand, so be it. If it means an omnibus, so be it. If this just means pushing the series aggressively so more people buy it and WotC looks on it as a success, so be it.

Here's what I suggest you do, if you want to support the series and see the rest of it printed in paper format: Post a review of Downshadow (see my guide in the post above). In that review, state that you want to read the other novels in the series, but you need there to be a paper option. State that ebooks are not possible for you, and you are willing to pay extra for a paper copy.

Whew, that got a little serious, didn't it? Back to joviality.

Cheers

I apologize if I caused offence , I dont not mean to imply that a novel released in ebook format is not a novel or that the author works any less diligently on it. All I meant was that if a am going to be spending a not inconsiderable amount of money on purchasing novels, I want something substantial for my investment, not a bunch of zeroes and one on a kindle. Especially as there is little or no price differentiation between ebooks and normal books.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2012 :  19:05:06  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I completely understand, Thauranil. And I want you to have that, too.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2012 :  22:51:20  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Kind of a catch-22, isn't it?

My suggestion would be this: buy digital copies for friends and family. Gift them. Then when a physical copy becomes available, get it for yourself!

Cheers

Yep, it is. Could be a way to introduce family members to your work.
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2012 :  03:16:32  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As an international reader, I am still being e-exiled from eBooks. Nothing has changed so far in terms of distribution...

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2012 :  04:18:51  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

As an international reader, I am still being e-exiled from eBooks. Nothing has changed so far in terms of distribution...

What country are we talking about?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2012 :  17:18:24  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought it, it just is sitting behind some other stuff on the to-read pile (part of me still clings to this slightly odd habit of reading author in question's novels from the beginning/beginning of setting, regardless of whether they are directly or even not at all tied to the more recent novels I want to read. Hell, I insisted upon reading the entire Sembia series--all of it, not just Kemp's contribution--before I started the Erevis Cale trilogy). The pile got really realms heavy at the beginning of this year, when I added a good portion of my housemate's book collection to said list, and I've found myself needing a bit of a break, especially since i've read almost exclusively fantasy novels the last two years (which was a much needed change at the time, as i'd read mostly non-fiction the few years before that). Of course, instead of reading the books I already owned, I bought some others...this is apparently what happens when I realize how much money I save not going out drinking after work anymore. More money to spend on books!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2012 :  17:38:17  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made a realization yesterday, and that's that the Shadowbane series is actually pretty big. It's currently EIGHT pieces. And I'm writing the 9th within the next year or so. (Word counts are estimated!)

“The Last Legend of Gedrin Shadowbane” (free e-story): 8K, 20 pages
“Sword of Shadowbane” (included in word count for SB: EOJ)
“Heir of Shadowbane” (free e-story) 8K, 20 pages
Book 1: Downshadow 100K, 330 pages
“Chosen of the Sword” (free e-novella) 30K, 85 pages
“A New Purpose” (story included in the Shadowbane bundle) 5K, 15 pages
Book 2: Shadowbane 100K, 330 pages
Book 3: Shadowbane: Eye of Justice 100K, 330 pages
Shadowbane 4 (working title) ???

That's 350K and 1000 pages, give or take.

http://erikscottdebie.com/shadowbane

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2012 :  19:20:29  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't find anything on e-readers and audio/ reader functions. Just wanted you to know Errick

Now, back to work.

We choose to live a lie, when we see with, & not through the eye.

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.
Go to Top of Page

Areader
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2012 :  20:58:06  Show Profile Send Areader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quick question: what's the "Shadowbane bundle" that Erik mentioned? And where could one purchase it?

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2012 :  21:34:28  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sightless

Can't find anything on e-readers and audio/ reader functions. Just wanted you to know Errick
Now, back to work.
You got my email, yes?

quote:
Originally posted by Areader

Quick question: what's the "Shadowbane bundle" that Erik mentioned? And where could one purchase it?
Thanks.
It's included in the expanded Shadowbane ebook. Buy it from Amazon or B&N, and that's what you'll download.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2012 :  23:02:28  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh it is? Awesome! I still haven't finished Eye of Justice yet. Like Yoss, I have a lot on my to-read list.

I asked this before, but I don't know if you answered it or not. If you did, I apologize. You mentioned that you're writing the fourth one--or eigth, as the case may be?--Shadowbane, but with WotC focusing on the Sundering, you don't know when it will be published. But, the first Sundering novel doesn't come out til August, right? Or is it sooner than that? I know it takes a long time to write a book, but doesn't that give you, and maybe other authors, some room?

Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2012 :  23:34:26  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Sightless

Now, back to work.
You got my email, yes?

quote:
Originally posted by Areader

Thanks.
It's included in the expanded Shadowbane ebook. Buy it from Amazon or B&N, and that's what you'll download.

Cheers

Yes i did, which is where my comment is coming from, my experience is that anything that goes audiobook isn't the whole novel. Just posted this here in case some folks knew something about e-readers I didn't.

We choose to live a lie, when we see with, & not through the eye.

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.
Go to Top of Page

Areader
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  02:26:47  Show Profile Send Areader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the speedy reply, Erik. I plan on buying Shadowbane from Amazon in the near future but I wanted to make sure I bought the best edition available.
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  02:34:51  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Chile, but I just saw that the available FR-ebooks for me on amazon.com increased from 4 to 5! And the new one is Eye of Justice!

Though this is very positive, it still improves the access by only one book...

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  06:25:37  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Chile, but I just saw that the available FR-ebooks for me on amazon.com increased from 4 to 5! And the new one is Eye of Justice!

send me an email with a list of books you can access, and I'll get your feedback to the powers that be.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2012 :  03:56:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I woke up to a pleasant surprise this very morn, Erik.

My Amazon order for Shadowbane: Eye of Justice finally went through and allowed for a successful purchase. That's right, I now have your new book!

Wizards e-books can now be purchased in Australia. Woot!

But before I read it, I'm taking your recent listing of the "Shadowbane Saga" into consideration, and starting from the very beginning with The Last Legend of Gedrin Shadowbane. I'll read through every work, again, before I get to S:EoJ.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2012 :  04:53:18  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I asked this before, but I don't know if you answered it or not. If you did, I apologize. You mentioned that you're writing the fourth one--or eigth, as the case may be?--Shadowbane, but with WotC focusing on the Sundering, you don't know when it will be published. But, the first Sundering novel doesn't come out til August, right? Or is it sooner than that?
As I understand it, the Sundering is planned for the second half of next year through the first half of the following year. So yeah, July or August, I suppose.

quote:
I know it takes a long time to write a book, but doesn't that give you, and maybe other authors, some room?
Well, I wrote the first draft of Downshadow in 12 days, so it doesn't always take a long time. But I won't rush this one.

In most cases it's actually the non-writing prep time that takes a long time. There's editing, rewrites, second pass editing, final revisions, copy editing, cover art generation, formatting, type-setting, printing, and then about a month just in case things go off a little. Usually, that's about a year, year and a half lead time for a novel. If WotC were to contract me for a novel tomorrow, then you could expect to see it come out at least a year and a half or two from now. So the longer it takes, the longer the wait.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2012 :  04:55:13  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I woke up to a pleasant surprise this very morn, Erik.
My Amazon order for Shadowbane: Eye of Justice finally went through and allowed for a successful purchase. That's right, I now have your new book!
Wizards e-books can now be purchased in Australia. Woot!
But before I read it, I'm taking your recent listing of the "Shadowbane Saga" into consideration, and starting from the very beginning with The Last Legend of Gedrin Shadowbane. I'll read through every work, again, before I get to S:EoJ.
Yay! Thanks for keeping me updated. I hope you enjoy!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2012 :  04:57:01  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I really need to get around to posting reviews...

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2012 :  05:06:34  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, if you like. We authorial types very much appreciate it.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2012 :  05:43:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm intending on trying to do the same with my reading of the complete [so far] "Shadowbane Saga."

I'll post my read-by-read reviews here, since I know Erik and other fans of his works frequent this site.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2012 :  06:04:37  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'm intending on trying to do the same with my reading of the complete [so far] "Shadowbane Saga."
I'll post my read-by-read reviews here, since I know Erik and other fans of his works frequent this site.
That sounds awesome! Consider posting the reviews on Amazon as well, where it's more likely WotC will see them.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2012 :  06:07:28  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was planing to post them on Amazon. There are several books I would like to see sequels to.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2012 :  06:15:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

That sounds awesome! Consider posting the reviews on Amazon as well, where it's more likely WotC will see them.

Cheers

Oh, yes, of course. Nearly forgot about that.

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2012 :  03:42:42  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

send me an email with a list of books you can access, and I'll get your feedback to the powers that be.

Thank you very much Erik, I just sent you a brief summary!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000