Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Shevarash
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2012 :  05:59:31  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
He is probably one of the least popular of the Seldarine, but I find him interesting, even though he is a drow killer. Lisa Smedman's "Necessary Sacrifices" was the first I'd ever heard of him, but other than that, I've read no stories on him or his followers, except in some sourcebooks. But I am quite interested in him, even though he is a emo jerk.

Is there ANY chance we will see more stories about his followers? Does anyone WANT a story? And by story I mean novel...

Sweet water and light laughter

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2012 :  00:50:29  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to read more about Shevarash as well (if he still exists). I was shocked by Necessary Sacrifices. I am intrigued by the "darker" side of The People. .
I think a novel will be a bit tricky and need the right author. The characters have to be "likeable" so that you want to read about them, but what they do cannot be watered down. It is very much like the blooding ritual the drow have when they go to the surface and slaughter surface elves.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2012 :  00:59:10  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He still exists. The Seldarine (thankfully), was mostly untouched by the Spellplague, except for Hanali and Sehanine, who were revealed to be aspects of Sune and Selune heh. In the 4e FR Campaign Setting Guide, Shevarash was listed as an exarch, but he's still around. The Shevarashans are very drow-like, if you think about it, though of course they would deny it. And I agree the characters have to be likeable, but a story would be awesome. Heck, as long as I wasn't put under too many restrictions, I'd write a novel about them!

Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2012 :  03:08:44  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to admit I did not buy any 4e "crunch" books (not going to start any bashing here) so I am not sure who is and who isn't around at the moment (I knew about E & V and Mystra of course).
But you are right, they are very drow like. Perhaps that is what makes them so good at hunting drow? But of course, if someone where to say that to one of his followers, I am sure they would come to a painful end. Or if they are an elf, a quick end perhaps?

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2012 :  04:44:51  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wasn't happy with 4e either, but I bought novels and source books because I wanted to know what's going on. But yes, Shev is still around.

To find your enemy, you have to be like your enemy? Lol yeah, if you mentioned that to one of them, they'd murderize you. A friend that I RP with and I have created several Shevarashan characters, and they're so much fun to play! One actually isn't a Shev anymore because he fell in love with a drow XD Shevarash, instead of punishing him, wants him back because he was good at what he did.

I know WotC plans to focus less on the gods, but...seriously! Minor ones such as Shevarash got little attention as it is.

Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2012 :  23:47:47  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have only purchased a few lines of novels, though I might buy other ones to get a little caught up if I need to around the Sundering. I will have to see how it goes. WotC can actually put out more about followers of Shevarash since it will be about the characters and not about the Black Arrow himself. In fact, I would love to see how to process the fact that Corellon has stepped in and taken on the newly "freed" dark elves? They are not technically drow anymore. That could be interesting.

Ha! I have a character in our game that is a cleric of Corellon that used to loathe drow. When they went into the Underdark for the first time, she was excited to kill drow...boy did that not go the way she planned!!! (there is now a drow cleric of Corellon).
Go to Top of Page

Lunarbeams
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2012 :  16:23:42  Show Profile Send Lunarbeams a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually I would like to see what happens to the Seldarine including Shar and Sheverash. Basically I want to see if Shar is successful in corrupting him or not.

"Software are easy to solve because they do not have egos. "
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2012 :  23:30:13  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is he STILL hanging out with her? I read he was in Demihuman Deities, but didn't know that was still going on. Shev, stay away from her!

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2012 :  07:35:06  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and I thought of something: in Demihuman Deities, it describes Shevarash as a green elf (so wild elf, yes?). I find this a bit strange, considering he was present at the Elven Court, though he wasn't a representative. Wild elves would likely not be at such places, since they tend to be more reclusive. Wouldn't it make more sense if he was a sun or moon elf, or am I missing something? I really don't know all that much about him, which is why I want more stories.

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2012 :  15:05:17  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They are isolated in wilder places, but in an elf-controlled forest... I suppose there's a lot of small Green villages here and there, and a bunch of them dropping by when there's a big feast or volunteering as guards once in a while was nothing unusual.

quote:
Originally posted by Euranna

I would like to read more about Shevarash as well (if he still exists). I was shocked by Necessary Sacrifices. I am intrigued by the "darker" side of The People. .
The "sledgehammer aesop" short story about elves on Fugue? Of course, if anything about FR religious issues in general is written by Lisa Smedman... nothing weird ever came from this combination!

Jokes aside - yeah, when disturbed elves got a tendency of being prone to hissyfits and most unpleasant in general. And the drow still are a sore spot for them. So, nothing unexpected here.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Lunarbeams
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2012 :  21:08:21  Show Profile Send Lunarbeams a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Vengence is not good for the soul and even deity the question is how much Sheverash is willing to sacrifice what is elven? It would make a good story.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2012 :  04:09:36  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I concur!

And maybe I am missing something here, but what exactly is wrong with Smedman's work?

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2012 :  07:46:11  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nothing really wrong with her writing, but unfortunately a lot of people took umbrage with the way she handled the Lady Penitent series.
Especially as it dealt with the death of several deities and popular characters.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2012 :  12:13:36  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

And maybe I am missing something here, but what exactly is wrong with Smedman's work?
Would be absolutely nothing (except an occasional bulldozer aesop - but hey, let the one who never wrote anything hammerheaded hurl the first fish).
If she either didn't try to write books in any settings that have any previously existing lore, or really paid attention to said lore. As in, Forgotten Realms, or even xD&D in general (e.g. smell-conductive wall of force bubble in Extinction).
And this runs away into the lands of facepalm the moment any gods appear nearby.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2012 :  14:15:47  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I read the Lady Penitent trilogy I actually thought it was pretty cool. I find it strange how much some people complain about it.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2012 :  02:05:37  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked LP too, even if several of my favorite characters (not to mention the death of V and E) happened. But does this mean the events in her novels weren't supposed to happen? It's published through Wizards, right? If she "messed things up", then wouldn't they notice?

Go to Top of Page

Lunarbeams
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2012 :  02:39:39  Show Profile Send Lunarbeams a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what I read from Lisa Smedman's blog was that it R&D decision of Wizards but it a decision I disagree with.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2012 :  11:57:10  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats true Lunarbeams but a lot of the readers still blamed her for the deaths of their favorite deities. Kind of like what happened with RA Salvatore and Chewbabbca. Bit unfair to be sure , personally I enjoyed the novels even though I didn't enjoy seeing the Masked Lady get killed.
Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2012 :  19:48:57  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It took me a little while to read the last novel because I knew that E was going to be killed somewhere in it. In my head, if I put off the novel, I put off her death. I was saddened by the death (and I am wondering about it since there seems to be loop holes). But I am not blaming Lisa for it. I think she did the best she could with a sad pre-determined ending.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2012 :  23:37:15  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was really saddened by the death of E and V too (along with some of the other characters). But if an author rights about the death of a deity, shouldn't Wizards give the OK, or was it Wizards pushing her to do it, anyway? It sounds like it could go either way. If Wizards made her write about this, then there wasn't much she could do, but if she decided to do it out of her own free will, Wizards obviously agreed with the idea--or didn't stop it. It sounds like it was pre-determined though.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2012 :  00:27:22  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was one of Wizards' genial ideas, the author herself said it in some interview, IIRC (she also said that Eilistraee and Vhaeraun would be both still there in the canonical FR if it was up to her, and that loopholes have been left so that both of them could be brought back. A thing that should have happened with the latest Menzo book, but WotC didn't care about it).

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 09 Dec 2012 00:31:56
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2012 :  15:57:18  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the decision to kill off E and V came straight from WotC. I don't think authors have the liberty to just kill off deities (but I could be wrong I guess).

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000