Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Neverwinter Books
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gillies
Acolyte

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2012 :  14:35:00  Show Profile  Visit Gillies's Homepage Send Gillies a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey guys,

I am reading the Drizzt books in order, but I really want to get into the Neverwinter series after hearing a great review from one of my friends. I was wondering would jumping to Neverwinter really be spoilerific for me? Or could I get away with it? O keep in mind I just finished Passage to Dawn and will be reading the next Drizzt collection in the new year. Right Patricia Bray and her Sword of Change books need my attention (on the final book).

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo.

Edited by - Gillies on 10 Dec 2012 14:40:54

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2012 :  14:36:54  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would recommend reading the books in order.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2012 :  14:42:36  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it really would be better to read the books in order.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Gillies
Acolyte

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2012 :  14:45:06  Show Profile  Visit Gillies's Homepage Send Gillies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So gotta wait 9 more books eh? O well! R.A Salvatore has a gift to keep the character going for so long. So it's not it's a chore to read the books.

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2012 :  18:26:24  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gillies

So it's not [like] it's a chore to read the books.

There are a lot of folks around these parts who would disagree with us on that.

But yeah, it's still best to read 'em in order.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2012 :  03:02:19  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not only would I read them in order, but there is a list of other series and short stories that I would recommend reading before getting to the Neverwinter books if you are to truly GET everything.
Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2012 :  03:02:56  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not only would I read them in order, but there is a list of other series and short stories that I would recommend reading before getting to the Neverwinter books if you are to truly GET everything.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2012 :  10:33:42  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am one of those who would disagree on the latest Drizzt novels being great, but they are worth the read for the sake on keeping up with the story. As for the short stories, the one that I would recommend the most would be "Comrades At Odds", which happens between Two Swords and The Orc King. This story can be found in Anthology of the Elves or RAS' Collected Stories, but if you get the latter, be sure to hold off on the last few stories until you've at least read The Ghost King, otherwise it will give things away.

So bottom line, yes, read them in order. There is a lot that happens between where you are and the Neverwinter series. Also, there is the Sellswords trilogy, and the first one, Servant of the Shard is also a part of the Paths of Darkness quartet in the Drizzt saga. This trilogy follows Entreri and Jarlaxle, if you are interested (and reading it might again help with later novels).

Hope that helps!

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Gillies
Acolyte

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2012 :  13:12:33  Show Profile  Visit Gillies's Homepage Send Gillies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jornan

OOoooo boy... *prepares a list* What are the books?

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2012 :  15:54:13  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

quote:

So it's not [like] it's a chore to read the books.

There are a lot of folks around these parts who would disagree with us on that.

But yeah, it's still best to read 'em in order.

I am one. The Hunter's Blades trilogy was a chore for me.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2012 :  17:31:27  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by jornan

OOoooo boy... *prepares a list* What are the books?

Check the link in my signature for a full chronological list of all of Salvatore's Realms works.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2012 :  13:01:03  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree otherwise while you make still be able to figure out whats going on in a vague manner at least you will be able to truly appreciate the books.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2012 :  13:02:53  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also I would suggest that you try out the Haunted Lands trilogy and the Twilight War trilogy as they are two excellent series dealing with the principal antagonists in the Neverwinter series, the Thayans and Shadovar respectively.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000