Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2012)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2012 :  18:30:15  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Based on how beings can switch faiths or not follow any deity at all. I've come to conclusion that somehow souls are inviolate in regards to god-manipulation and while gods can destroy the physical, the soul is immune to their powers unless it dwells in their realm? Perhaps an edict of Ao itself? I assume while a god can imbue a living being with gifts/powers, the soul is still uniquely immutable unless the soul itself decides it wants to be influenced or manipulated by a deity.

Is this why souls are currency in the outer planes, these qualities are unique ONLY to souls or is there something more to it, while they may not have begun as such, are souls the cornerstone or foundation of existence now even for the gods?

We know devils are born from souls/soul-stuff but demons are just created, but do demons require the EXISTENCE of soul stuff to be able to be created themselves?

Do souls have the ability to surpass all if such enlightenment/transcendance of itself were to occur?

Thanks

Edited by - createvmind on 05 Dec 2012 18:32:13
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2012 :  02:57:24  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message
Hey THO & Ed.

I have a question about the creation myth regarding Selune and Shar. Over the years it seems to me that this creation myth has gain more and more prominence within the lore, as if this is the official creation myth of the Realms.

Yet, there have been other creation myths put forward by other groups. The most obvious example involves the World Serpent. It was largely my understanding (and it remains my understanding) that the Selūne and Shar creation myth was of Netherese origin. It then became pervasive and wide spread after the fall of Netheril, as the refugees of low Netheril migrated to safer lands. (Carrying with them their gods and myths.)

My question is basically this: Is my understanding of the predominant creation myth correct? If so, are there numerous other creation myths out there? How accepted is the Selūne and Shar creation myth?

On the other hand, if the myth is the "correct" story about the creation of the Realms; then how do we explain some of the other myths like the World Serpent?
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2012 :  03:17:22  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Can anything more be said of Aerithae and Srindin? They have landmarks named for them in Anauroch but I haven't seen any stories about them. Did they have families, or other names? Did Elminster ever speak with either of them when they still walked the Realms? Do they persist in some form? Who/what is the "magic-using being" that now resides in Srindin's home? Just how small is this "miniature castle"? Also, who were Aerithae's comrades in arms, what's at the bottom of Srindin's sinkhole, how many skellies are there hovering the lake and who were/are they?

Questions are kinda like tribbles... they multiply even as I'm writing them!
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2012 :  03:37:16  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message
Has Ed read the Gor series by John Norman? If so, what's his opinion of the series overall? (or, if he's only read a few novels from the Gor series, what's his opinion on them?)

Thankee sais.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2012 :  14:25:08  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Hello all,
Ed, I just got pinged to be a game designer
for a game world. Work starts Jan 1.
As I start writing adventures for the masses,
do you have any advice for somebody brand
new to ensure fun is had by all? Its a
1 ed mechanics game with slightly less magic
than Greyhawk has.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2012 :  17:52:15  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all! This, from Ed to althen artren:

First, congratulations! Exciting just to hear about, more so I'm sure to be a part of it.
Advice? Hoo boy, here we go...

Try to have fun. I know there will be both hard work and tough decision making involved, but if everybody has fun while writing and designing, it shows. The reader/gamer/player can feel it. If we're engaging in diversions at all, they should lift the heart as they entertain. Have FUN.
Second, characters first and foremost. If we CARE about the people involved (even if they're scaly monsters rather than beautiful heroic humans), the play experience should work.
Plots: yep, the designers do have to plot to give meaning and reason to it all, but aside from major stuff (e.g. these two empires are drifting into war with each other, and the whole world can see it), the players don't have to see it. They should be presented with individual characters' aims, aspirations, and little schemes, not be privy to all the backroom secrets, or ever get the feeling that NPCs are following a script, like one of Shakespeare's plays where we know what ending is coming, and everything that's said and done is to further a visible-to-us-all plot.
Rather, the big stuff should move along half-seen in the background, except for large open confrontations. This increases the opportunities for mystery (so the PCs can speculate and want to try to find out certain things, have the opportunities to uncover those things and hence reasons beyond greed for adventuring), makes for maximum flexibility for the designers to respond to what happens in play/purchase-expressed customer preferences for this or that direction or focus (e.g. the dragon adventure sold well, the orc adventure not so much), and also is the best way for PCs to really have a hand in steering/altering events in the world.
No one likes to feel trapped or railroaded in life, forced to do a limited number of things with a "no way out" feeling. So design a world with lots of little things going on (energetically greedy local merchants, clashing SMALL power groups, impoverished temples promoting get-rich-quick schemes for worshippers to engage in, and so on), amorous NPCs, adventurer-manipulating NPCs . . . all so players feel their characters have lots of choices, all the time. "Too much to do," so long as not all of it is presented in a stressful "must save the world or else" manner, is an ideal state of play.
However, if this is done, players must be able to see some concrete successes, victories of their PCs that "matter" in a lasting way in the setting. Otherwise, they don't feel achievement and reward, which is after all the payoff for spending time and money on a shared-imaginary diversion.
Or to put it all another way: spend the design time on the flowing blood of the world, "what's going on." Detailing the language and the clothing (and underwear) and every last little detail of the setting is the wrong way to begin (yes, I know I've done just that with the Realms, but I had lots of time to putter away on my world before roleplaying games even existed as an industry). Instead, invest the minimum on cosmetics needed to establish moods for various regions in the world, imparting the feeling of this place or that culture (for example, knowing a grunted orc vocabulary for about twenty words should be enough to start with, not the entire language), add more when needed or for spice, and keep foremost the unfolding events and clashing wants, needs, and deeds of power groups.
Bear in mind that SOMEone (in-house, among the designers) should be building lists and encyclopedia-like entries of what has been said and written about places, people, and things, with a dating system, to keep everything consistent. (It's much harder, slower, and more expensive to go back after the fact and try to build such "backbone" things.)
Moreover, any setting can and should grow, expand, and change to cater to new trends/what consumers want (steampunk, cypberpunk before it, and so on), but at the outset, all of the designers should discuss and agree on the major themes of the world: what it's going to be presented to gamers as (e.g. "This is the world where dragons battle in the skies to rule empires, and PCs scurry around like rats trying to avoid being noticed by dragons so as to pilfer fantastic treasures from dragon hoards" or "This is the world where human traders try to get rich moving wares overland or through subterranean cavern networks, in a world beset by warring evil clans of elves who breed marauding monsters to prowl and terrorize everyone not an elf" or "on a monster-roamed, wild world, human adventurers fare forth from a small, verdant region ruled by cruel warring barons, to recover powerful magic from the overgrown ruins of fallen empires, so as to overthrow the tyrants and establish a bright new order" . . . you get the picture. What is the "elevator pitch" for the world/setting, a few sentences bolstered by the logo and the predominant art on the cover of the launch product, that tells a gamer what they're getting into? (Again, it's perfectly fine to become all things to all gamers, over time, but start with something specific [[not necessarily narrow, and not necessarily a single theme]]. Are we exploring new terrain or a long-lost region after ferocious guardians of it died or vanished? Are things getting better for everyone, or are we grimly fighting to keep ever-more-numerous monsters at bay? Tell us.
And one more thing: give PCs a chance to BELONG. To a group, a cause, a secret society, a faith, a realm...something they can take pride in.
Heh. That should do as a start. I hope.

So saith Ed, one of the masters. Who doesn't mind sharing such things in the slightest, in hopes that all gamers benefit.
love,
THO

Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2012 :  06:43:20  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message
THO/Ed,

I have some questions on stuff from "So What Do Ye Do for a Living?"

1. Could you tell us more about "flat-weave, supple "copperbright," which is linked copper "cloth" that's really very fine plate armor, the copper discs each being the size of a small adult human thumbnail"?

How does it compare to normal plate armor? Is it functional or more decorative? Does it weigh as much as normal plate armor? What are all the discs linked with?

Mechanics wise how does it compare to plate armor? As in, is it as protective (same AC), less restrictive due to being "supple" (greater dex bonus and less armor check penalty or less arcane sell failure)?

What parts of the Realms is this common in? The south (Tharsult) where the traveler is from or more north?

2. What beast(s) is "bluebeast" usually made from? What kind of clothing is usually made out of it? Things to be worn out or at home? What other uses does it have? Is it used for bedding? Furniture coverings?

3. slugs as filters? Care to explain? Is it really what I'm picturing? How widespread are they used?

4. Speaking of slugs, how common and accepted are kenku in various parts of the Realms, such as Cormyr, Waterdeep, Tethyr or Lapaliiya/Tashalar?

Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2012 :  06:27:10  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message
I have another question, this time concerning Lapaliiya and Tashalar.

Most maps show a major road going from Sammaresh on the western boundry of Lapaliiya all the way east through all of Lapaliiya and continuing on to the east to meet up with The Golden Road.

In a previous reply to someone, you mentioned that there is a good coastal road that parallels the coast pretty close that links Tashluta on the eastern edge of Tashalar with Narbubel on the western boundry of Tashalar, that for some reason seldom appears on published maps.

Is there now or did there used to be a trade/coast road between Tashluta and Procalith and/or between Sammaresh and Procalith, before Procalith was more then a ruin, some two hundred years ago? If not, are there any particular reasons why not?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2012 :  04:33:49  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all!
rjfras, I can answer your roads queries, from notes I've made after (past) discussions with Ed.
Yes, all of those coastal roads exist.
One of the reasons they don't show up on maps often (aside from the obvious real-world fact that TSR/WotC have never done an "up close" regional sourcebook that would have shown this area in detail) is that Ed tells me those coastal roads, for most of their runs, are split up into parallel routes running between "bands" of land: i.e. the coast is occupied by a series of walled, turreted mansions of wealthy persons (occasionally interrupted by small public harbor). If you went straight inland along one of the outside walls of a mansion, you would cross a roughly parallel-to-the-coast trade road, about three wagons wide in most places, with drainage ditches on either side.
If you kept on walking in a straight line, heading inland, you would cross that ditch and come to more private land (in some places, a walled compound of settlement or for livestock or orchards or even another walled dwelling [plus gardens] of a wealthy family or personage). If you continued straight inland, crossing this private land, you would eventually cross ANOTHER parallel-to-the-coast trade road, complete with ditches, then another stretch of private land (farms or orchards, in most places), and then, yes, ANOTHER parallel-to-the-coast trade road.
These are all considered "the same road" but of course are hard to show on maps unless they cover a small area close up, which is precisely the sort of maps we haven't yet seen in print. To a rural Canadian (or someone from, say, the plains of Indiana), these parallel roads would seem familiar, as either sideroads or concession roads (depending on which compass heading in which such a rural real person was heading).
I hope this helps. Ed will respond to your "So What Do Ye Do For A Living?" questions as soon as he can. (BTW: some technical glitch with his account won't let him post replies to the gamers' questions that follow his Forging columns, on the website.)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2012 :  13:36:38  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
Been thinking on making a polymath character and was made curious on who were the famous Polymath characters, well known to Realms fans or otherwise, in the realms?

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2012 :  18:22:48  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
rjfras, here we go with some replies re. "What Do Ye Do..."
Specifically, copperbright. (Paraphrased from what Ed told me last night.)
It's more decorative than MOST normal plate armor, because it conforms more to body shapes and/or can be draped/take "curves." It is SLIGHTLY lighter than most plate armor - - and is considered plate armor rather than chainmail because it's really three overlapping, staggered layers of discs, all connected (at each and every disc) by fine wires. Unlike chainmail, which is interlaced rings, these wires are long enough to permit flexibility among three staggered layers of discs. One way to view copperbright is to think of it as three chainmail shirts made of oversized American pennies, worn together and attached to each other in many, many places.
Same AC as normal plate armor, slightly lighter and more supple so 1 point "better" for the wearer than normal plate for dex bonus, AC penalties, etc.
Copperbright was originally popular in Ulgarth, Var the Golden and the neighbouring lands, then it spread to Dambrath, then a decade or so later it came to the Tashalar and up around the coast to the Border Kingdoms.

As for bluebeast, I think of it as like denim (blue jeans), but we'll see what Ed has to say.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2012 :  19:27:13  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

Been thinking on making a polymath character and was made curious on who were the famous Polymath characters, well known to Realms fans or otherwise, in the realms?

As far as I know a Polymath was BD&D class and never existed in the Realms, however willing to be corrected.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2012 :  18:19:15  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
An Athalantar question, if I may.
We know of powerful wizards (like Elminster) who survived from that vanished kingdom to the present day, but did any other citizens (or human, elf, dwarf, halfling, or gnome visitors) of the realm live from then all the way to "now" in the Realms?
Thanks in advance,
BB
P.S. Of course, names and a little detail of some of them would be just dandy.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2012 :  20:50:14  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Blueblade, Ed saith:

Well, of COURSE some individuals besides Elminster (and other powerful mages) survived from then until now, by various means. Let me regard my current NDAs with some care before I say more than "Yes" to you, okay?

Heh. So there you have it. Better living through ever-greater Realmslore...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Adam_Garou
Acolyte

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2012 :  05:15:08  Show Profile  Visit Adam_Garou's Homepage Send Adam_Garou a Private Message
Apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere, but I can't seem to find it if it has -- not in the published sourcebooks, and not on the forums here.

My question involves the pre-Spellplague Zulkirs of Thay. As I understand it, being a zulkir is as much about political power as magical power (perhaps even more so in the cases of Dmitra Flass and Samas Kul in the "Haunted Lands" novels). Assuming that's true, are there any sort of inherited "regalia of office" that the zulkir of each order inherits along with the position?

I'm thinking of a response I read of Ed's regarding Cormyr and certain magical items the Royal Magician inherits as part of his/her office, that allow him/her to awaken certain magics, wands, staves, etc. in various parts of the palace, generate portals, and fire the destructive effects through the portals to strike a designated enemy. Is there anything comparable that the Orders of Transmutation/Evocation/Illusion/etc. grant to whoever sits in the "big chair" for them?

It might not be anything as overt as the Cormyr example, of course -- I'm also wondering about special tattoos the zulkir receives after his/her election that allow entrance into secret structures within Thay, arcane "signet rings" that are attuned to a particular zulkir and let everyone know that communication XYZ truly came from the zulkir, or anything in between. Is there anything like this that Ed or THO can share?

"If we do happen to make contact (with the enemy), I expect nothing less than gratuitous violence from the lot of you."

--Sgt. Harry Wells, DOG SOLDIERS--
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2012 :  16:21:47  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Adam_Garou

Apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere, but I can't seem to find it if it has -- not in the published sourcebooks, and not on the forums here.

My question involves the pre-Spellplague Zulkirs of Thay. As I understand it, being a zulkir is as much about political power as magical power (perhaps even more so in the cases of Dmitra Flass and Samas Kul in the "Haunted Lands" novels). Assuming that's true, are there any sort of inherited "regalia of office" that the zulkir of each order inherits along with the position?

I'm thinking of a response I read of Ed's regarding Cormyr and certain magical items the Royal Magician inherits as part of his/her office, that allow him/her to awaken certain magics, wands, staves, etc. in various parts of the palace, generate portals, and fire the destructive effects through the portals to strike a designated enemy. Is there anything comparable that the Orders of Transmutation/Evocation/Illusion/etc. grant to whoever sits in the "big chair" for them?

It might not be anything as overt as the Cormyr example, of course -- I'm also wondering about special tattoos the zulkir receives after his/her election that allow entrance into secret structures within Thay, arcane "signet rings" that are attuned to a particular zulkir and let everyone know that communication XYZ truly came from the zulkir, or anything in between. Is there anything like this that Ed or THO can share?

You know, an interesting thing about the red wizards (in 3.5e mind you) was that they can run circles BEFORE they can actually tattoo new apprentices with the tattoo focus feat (at 7th lvl red wizard). I've always wondered if this weren't something awakened into them by the Zulkir of their school through some rite or magic item.

Generally, this means that no apprentice will receive a tattoo focus by any red wizard of less than 12th level, and this would mean that 10th and 11th lvl red wizards would be beholden to upper level red wizards to provide them apprentices (unless they can acquire such from already trained and tattooed apprentices).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2012 :  16:25:27  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Adam, Ed saith:

Yes, there are indeed inherited "regalia of office" that the Zulkir of each order inherits along with the position (though some have been lost or destroyed over the years, and Szass Tam isn't the first to tinker with them, disabling or "twisting" some of their greater powers).
Yes, some of the regalia is comparable in power to what Vangerdahast wielded in Cormyr. And some of it is as mundane as confirming that a magical communication really came from a particular Zulkir. However, I'm afraid all the details are under NDA right now (which is as it should be, while Richard continues to bring us superb Thayan fiction).
Sorry!

So there you have it. Not much that Ed can share at the moment. Which doesn't mean he isn't itching to do so . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2012 :  07:35:42  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message
Hi Tho, hi Ed,

the ever curious greenskin lover is back :)

today i would like to know if with th hobgoblins in faerun, the females are also allowed in the actual "fighting" ranks of a tribe?
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2012 :  07:48:13  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
rjfras, here we go with some replies re. "What Do Ye Do..."
Specifically, copperbright. (Paraphrased from what Ed told me last night.)
It's more decorative than MOST normal plate armor, because it conforms more to body shapes and/or can be draped/take "curves." It is SLIGHTLY lighter than most plate armor - - and is considered plate armor rather than chainmail because it's really three overlapping, staggered layers of discs, all connected (at each and every disc) by fine wires. Unlike chainmail, which is interlaced rings, these wires are long enough to permit flexibility among three staggered layers of discs. One way to view copperbright is to think of it as three chainmail shirts made of oversized American pennies, worn together and attached to each other in many, many places.
Same AC as normal plate armor, slightly lighter and more supple so 1 point "better" for the wearer than normal plate for dex bonus, AC penalties, etc.
Copperbright was originally popular in Ulgarth, Var the Golden and the neighbouring lands, then it spread to Dambrath, then a decade or so later it came to the Tashalar and up around the coast to the Border Kingdoms.

As for bluebeast, I think of it as like denim (blue jeans), but we'll see what Ed has to say.
love,
THO

A follow up on copperbright.

Due to the nature of the armor, shaping and attaching all those discs must take some time. How much longer does copperbright take to make compared to plate?

What of the cost of copperbright? I'm guessing that the material to make copperbright is cheaper then the metal to make full plate but the labor would probably be more?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2012 :  20:34:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
rjfras, Ed says:

Copperbright takes thrice as long to make as plate armor, but this can be cut to twice as long if and only if it's being made to fit a particular individual, and that individual is available without long delays for several "fitting" sessions.

Copperbright material is the same cost as for plate armor (supple, non-brittle WIRE tends to be more expensive than even the most expensive plates, though some gnome and dwarf "family firms" [[i.e. with lots of skilled workers acting together]] make wire and plates for about the same price), but for most armorers, the labor for a copperbright "suit" will be a third or more more expensive than for a coat-of-plate full suit.

(BTW, the reason why copperbright goes faster with fittings is that regular plate can be made to fit an over-burly wooden "dummy" figure, if the end buyer isn't available or isn't known, and any resulting "roominess" taken up with properly-augmented leather underpadding - - so long as the length of armor for the limbs is more or less [[bracers/graves being extended or shortened as necessary]] correct.)

So there you have it, straight from the ever-busy Ed.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2012 :  07:31:22  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Hail, me hearties! Hope the season is growing cheery there.

Is there a connection between Jhalassan Thond (contact for the Guild of Glassblowers, Glaziers, & Speculum-Makers in Waterdeep) or Srusstakur Thond (Master Mapmaker and author of Know and Vanquish Thy Foe) and Arabel's House of Thond?

On a related note, how far affield do Arabel's merchant houses range? I don't recall seeing them having bases in the other cities of Cormyr, but Peraphon (Thond) winters in Hillsfar. I assume agents of the other Houses are placed in various key cities too?

And an afterthought... do the members of the merchant house typically take the house name as their own (in the manner of "Jhalassan Thond" whether or not he's related) or is there more like "Peraphon of Thond" or "Somebody of the House of Bhela"?
Go to Top of Page

Lunarbeams
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2012 :  15:11:05  Show Profile Send Lunarbeams a Private Message
What exciting adventures will the new chosen will have in 2013?

What is going happen to Elminister?

By the way can we have some e-books be in printed media?

LOL

Happy Holidays Ed Greenwood

"Software are easy to solve because they do not have egos. "
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2012 :  23:17:46  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all! I bring swift replies from Ed to xaeyruudh.
X: "Is there a connection between Jhalassan Thond (contact for the Guild of Glassblowers, Glaziers, & Speculum-Makers in Waterdeep) or Srusstakur Thond (Master Mapmaker and author of Know and Vanquish Thy Foe) and Arabel's House of Thond?"
Ed: Yes. They all share a surname, and are (probably, way back) related, although the "Thond" surname, derived from shortening "Thongolir" (a place name for a vanished place and the family that dwelt in it), or from "thondal" (an Old Common term for a maker of slings, bowstrings, and leather tie-thongs), or from the ancient Southern explorer-hero Thondar, or from the old Tethyrian family of "Amalathond," arose in several distinct places, borne by different unrelated humans.
The first Thond you list is part of an old Waterdhavian family, that so far as I (and they) know is not related to the second Thond you list (his Thond family is or was scattered throughout Amn, Tethyr, and the Tashalar), nor to the third (the "House of Thond" in Arabel was founded more than a century back by Jamalathar Thond, who fled mercantile disputes in Sembia to settle in Arabel).

X: "On a related note, how far affield do Arabel's merchant houses range? I don't recall seeing them having bases in the other cities of Cormyr, but Peraphon (Thond) winters in Hillsfar. I assume agents of the other Houses are placed in various key cities too?"
Ed: Arabel's merchant houses do indeed have agents dwelling in such places as Hillsfar, Yhaunn, Procampur, Lyrabar, and various other Inner Sea ports, as well as traveling traders. They usually range as far west as Berdusk, as far north as Melvaunt, as far east as Aglarond, and as far south as the Vilhon - - but the bulk of their trade is centered on the Moonsea and providing an alternative (to Sembia) route west (halfway to the Sword Coast, i.e. Berdusk) for Moonsea lumber, furs, ores, and especially refined metals and cast metal goods (in return for various preserved foodstuffs, such as spiced alcoholic jams, that dwellers in the Moonsea North can use to vary and improve the taste of meats, turnips, and other locally-sourced food.

X: "And an afterthought... do the members of the merchant house typically take the house name as their own (in the manner of "Jhalassan Thond" whether or not he's related) or is there more like "Peraphon of Thond" or "Somebody of the House of Bhela"?"
Ed: The latter. The energetic, far-traveled merchant Ilmer Melthanton, a member of the House of Thond much seen passing through the Dales, is colloquially "Melthanton of Thond" and more formally "Saer Melthanton of the House of Thond."

So saith Ed. Swiftly answering easy but useful-to-many Realmslore questions, to bring cheer to us all.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2012 :  23:25:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And while I'm here, I might as well address these, from Lunarbeams:
"What exciting adventures will the new chosen will have in 2013?"
THO: New Chosen? What New Chosen? Do tell! (Ed certainly can't legally say much of anything about adventures ahead in 2013, whether they feature New Chosen or not.)

"What is going happen to Elminister?"
THO: Who is "Elminister"? A cleric with a death wish? All sorts of creatures tend to show up to try to slay Elminster, so if one of them mishears this name, whoever that priest is will undoubtedly have a dark and sticky time . . .
Now, if you mean ELMINSTER, the only answer Ed can probably give is: a lot of things are going to happen to him. They always do.
Not that we can share much, beforehand, of course . . .

"By the way can we have some e-books be in printed media?"
THO: I'm going to assume here that you're speaking of Realms fiction published by Wizards, rather than more generally. That's a good question, but one best put to Wizards, not Ed, because Wizards does the publishing. (Just for the record, Ed thinks ALL Realmslore should be available in e-book, printed, audio book, and Braille formats, simultaneously and all the time - - but then again, Ed isn't financially running any publishing company, and there are good reasons for that. )

So there you have it: answers from me, this time.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2012 :  23:29:49  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
. . . And I've just received an e-mail from the overworked Ed. Like last year, Ed is going to try, before the end of the year, to answer one outstanding lore question from every year of this thread (so, 2004 to date).
Scribes, Ed would like to hear your suggestions for which ones. He makes no promises, but will try to thoroughly answer what he can, of (what he considers to be) the "best" suggestions.
He wants to thank you for your stellar patience with him (some of you have been very patiently waiting for YEARS), and this is his small way of trying to provide paltry rewards for that.
So, please post your suggestions here (past questions, from every year of this thread) over the next week, and Ed will pen answers as he can.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2012 :  23:43:29  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. And now ANOTHER e-mail from Ed, this one a reply to this, from scribe Jakuta Khan: "Today i would like to know if with the hobgoblins in Faerūn, the females are also allowed in the actual "fighting" ranks of a tribe?"

Ed responds:

There is no "allow," because the elders of any hobgoblin tribe that hasn't been reduced to a handful of individuals by war, disease, or other mishap are at least half female, and usually more (60 percent or so). They discuss and advise any hobgoblin chieftan - - and although that chief (almost always male) has the final word, a chief who scorns, ignores, or disagrees with his elders repeatedly doesn't last long.
Or to put it another way, hobgoblin females decide for themselves if they'll be in the forefront of any fighting, unless the head of their family, or the ranking battle leader, orders otherwise.
Usually, the females keep back, because protecting the children (and hobgoblin children can be quite willful, easily stirred to rage, battle-fury, and pride, and want to join in fighting themselves) and by extension the race is their prime concern, so females more often defend a camp, stronghold, saethren (hospital for the wounded), dwelling, or moving group of the aged and children.
Most groups of hobgoblin elders see such service as more sensible and valuable than front-rank fighting. Whereas the males are seen as more expendable/replaceable, so their proper place is in the front ranks of battle.
So among most hobgoblins, the thinking is not "females are inferior" but rather "females are more valuable to the tribe/clan/family/group in these other roles" (protecting the children, tending the wounded, and defending the food supply and defensible refuges).
Some humans view hobgoblins as brutish beasts, with rutting males being reckless, unthinking nodes of "runaway destruction" - - but then, many hobgoblins view humans as deceitful and far too numerous and pervasive vandals who pry into every corner, and think themselves the rightful owners of everything not nailed down, not to mention every last stretch of ground not claimed by a more formidable human - - or in other words, insane vermin upon the land. :}
Heh. Hope that helps.

So saith Ed, ladling out another dollop of helpful Realmslore.
love,
THO

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  00:57:48  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Thank you! Have we mentioned enough lately how awesome you both are? And feeling just a bit sarcastic, I see.

Regarding the outstanding lore questions, I think those who've been waiting the longest should be heard first so I'll pipe down... except to note that the Realms needs more Storm. Yep, definitely more Storm. In fairness, though, we need more Shandril too, and more Filfaeril, and more of hundreds of others. Surely one of them must be peeking out (probably to see who's about before emerging wearing a smile) from behind some old crumbling NDA.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  05:24:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

. . . And I've just received an e-mail from the overworked Ed. Like last year, Ed is going to try, before the end of the year, to answer one outstanding lore question from every year of this thread (so, 2004 to date).
Scribes, Ed would like to hear your suggestions for which ones. He makes no promises, but will try to thoroughly answer what he can, of (what he considers to be) the "best" suggestions.
He wants to thank you for your stellar patience with him (some of you have been very patiently waiting for YEARS), and this is his small way of trying to provide paltry rewards for that.
So, please post your suggestions here (past questions, from every year of this thread) over the next week, and Ed will pen answers as he can.
love to all,
THO

I don't recall in what year I first asked the question, but I remain quite curious about Rilantaver, the "elusive trickster" inventor of Rilantaver's staff (Dragon 173, the "Bazaar of the Bizarre" article on staves). This may or may not have anything to do with the fact that I myself identify as a trickster.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  06:08:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

love to all,
THO

Oooo! This will probably be somewhat easier for me, since I'm inclined to pick out any of the multitude of music-related queries that still remain to be answered.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  10:15:52  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message
Dear Ed, dear THO,

thanks again and again for the detailed reply and insight given by the information it contains.

Thanks!
Jakuta Khan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000