Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2012)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2012 :  18:47:38  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Malcolm, I'll make sure Ed gives me info so I can fire off a PM to you before nightfall. (Ed's contracts include a minefield of NDAs!!!)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2012 :  20:58:04  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all!
I bring you once more the words of Ed, this time in response to crazedventurers: "Ed and THO/Inspired by this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20166624 about Victorian Englands obsession with keeping elephants etc
Are there any collectors of unusual/exotic creatures and/or monsters in Cormyr. Not wizards turning them into raw materials for potions etc, but collectors who keep and feed and show them off?
Are there any rules regarding walking your pet tiger through the promenade in Suzail etc? Licences required to keep them?, how many can you have and what type's are allowed to be kept? (so for instance giant dire ostriches from the Shaar are ok, but chimera's are not ok )
Cheers
Damian"

Heeeere's Ed!

Hi, Damian. Yes, there are collectors of unusual/exotic creatures AND monsters in Cormyr. A few wizards keep a monster or two for fending off intruders, and Marsember and the northwestern shore of the Wyvernwater both have rich merchants with a thing for prowling predators (in the walled grounds of their estates), but there are at least a dozen nobles - - of COURSE it's the nobles ;} - - who have menageries of dangerous as well as exotic pets. They show them off to noble guests (and sometimes to non-nobles they're trying to impress/frighten).
Yes, there are rules re. beasts in Suzail: they must be on leash (one to a handler, so no "one poor guy holding three tigers hecan't possibly control") or (if used to pull a conveyance) in harness. Other than that, no publicly-known "blanket" rules (or laws) yet; it seems the Royal Court is meeting with individual owners to work out individual agreements on such matters. (It is of course understood that the Royal Magician has an overriding decree on everyone except Obarskyr royalty re. keeping any beast, using "public safety" as a rationale. In practice, if you're liked at the Royal Palace and can give good reasons for having a critter, you're okay; if not and not: no. :})
Hope this helps!
Ed

So saith Ed, who is the biggest beast in his house. He does have a cat...or perhaps the cat has him.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2012 :  01:17:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I've an additional query for Ed, based on his recent reply to LadyRhian:-
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Some festhalls, brothels, and clubs signal whom or what they cater to ...
For those festhalls, brothels, and clubs that do signal for particular clientele... how do they accomplish this? Is it through what we already know of existent advertising means seen previously established in the Realms? Or is it just through back-room whispers and word-of-mouth? Some other way?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 29 Nov 2012 01:18:34
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2012 :  02:44:34  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Uh, Sage, I think Ed meant, in his reply, that what the carved signboards depict makes it clear what a brothel/festhall primarily caters to. (At least, that's how I read it.)
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2012 :  03:38:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Uh, Sage, I think Ed meant, in his reply, that what the carved signboards depict makes it clear what a brothel/festhall primarily caters to. (At least, that's how I read it.)
BB

As did I.

I'm just wondering about some of the more clandestine brothels -- that might tend to cater for races/species who have "sexual needs" that might not otherwise be acceptable within the general surrounding community -- and how they draw in clients.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 29 Nov 2012 03:40:05
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2012 :  03:39:28  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO, in many of Ed's novels, wizards who cast scrying spells sometimes do so without the aid of a crystal ball or mirror etc, instead creating a orb of magical energies focused on scring. How does that work out? Is making a scrying sphere better than an apparatus of scrying?? Would like to hear your answers and thoughts on this.

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

Infamous
Acolyte

42 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2012 :  05:10:36  Show Profile Send Infamous a Private Message
A question about epic spellcasting:

The Goddess of Magic has, for very good reasons, capped spells at the ninth circle of power. But is is now part of the D&D canon that some spellcasting more powerful than that is available (to Epic characters). There is some discussion about whether the rules are balanced, but the intention is good: to provide guidelines for NPCs and players who reach high levels. Setting rules aside, how is it that Mystra and the Realms deal with the so-called epic spell casting?
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2371 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2012 :  16:04:07  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
Greetings, Ed and THO,
how different cultures treat magical constructs like homunculi? Or simulacra? I suppose Red Wizards won't mind, as they routinely make darkenbeasts and worse, drow and Netherese also too desensitized to magical weirdness, but e.g. are surface elves squeamish/indignant about "unnatural abominations", or consider this beneath their notice or a worthy achievement?
Humans of Tethyr or Cormyr, Neverwinter or Waterdeep, Chessenta, etc? Calimshan, old Shoon Empire?

Also, returning to my previous question about Avariel and Aearee. I was recently reading Moonshae (FR2) and encountered the legend of "the maiden of Highpeak". It was not what prompted my first question - which is why it feels weird to suddenly stumble on something so close to my wild guess.
What's with high-pitched ululating (strange, yet evidently humanoid-sounding enough to be acceptable as "maid" voice?) cry, the beautiful mountain castle "made of glass" (just like Aerie of the Snow Eagles!) along with an enchanted garden, presumably all hidden via illusion, and some restless warriors leaving it. Because now it looks like setting up refuges/bases like this would be one of sensible things to do, if at all possible, for Avariel or even Aearee back during the rise of the dragons.

So the question is: was "the maiden of Highpeak" a "big" mystery lore hook or was it a coincidence? And if there is something, could you please tell us?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2012 :  17:17:54  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:

Hi, Damian. Yes, there are collectors of unusual/exotic creatures AND monsters in Cormyr. A few wizards keep a monster or two for fending off intruders, and Marsember and the northwestern shore of the Wyvernwater both have rich merchants with a thing for prowling predators (in the walled grounds of their estates), but there are at least a dozen nobles - - of COURSE it's the nobles ;}

Many thanks Ed for the lore - I quite like the idea of someone walking a tiger or three down the Promenande in Suzail!

Of course one wonders what the merchants past Marsember feed their prowling monsters on...... nosey adventurers anyone?

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

LadyRhian
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2012 :  00:31:19  Show Profile  Visit LadyRhian's Homepage Send LadyRhian a Private Message
Hooded One, thank you ever so much for the quick reply! I agree with the others here that it is sad that you are not allowed to write novel manuscripts, as your words are lovely and evocative. I did wish to ask though... Is Ed one of the people whose words you are editrix of?
Go to Top of Page

LetumLux
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2012 :  23:02:22  Show Profile Send LetumLux a Private Message
Hi again, THO!

While I excitedly wait for word on the state of that lexicon of Netherese, I've come to pester with another question, this time on Sharran faith.

Shar's dogma leaves very little room for ambition, or building anything of value as her servants attempt to undo, rather than create in her name. This isn't surprising, though.

However, this leaves me in a bit of a conflict in regards to Thultanthar, and the Shadovar, in thinking about how does an entire city who holds Shar as its patron even function, if they follow the "orthodoxy"? How is it not heretical for them to scheme and plot to better themselves with personal ambition, or to desire the conquest of other places so that their own surviving nation and Enclave can prosper (at least until the End Of All Things). Did the ambitious Netherese really decide to not strive for power that wasn't directly handed down by Shar? It just doesn't sit well with me, and doesn't seem that the Shadovar would get very much done, even in Shar's name, without maintaining their ego.

To reconcile this in my own campaigns, I decided that Thultanthar must follow a different version of the "orthodox" dogma and took a very hard "Chosen People" spin on it. I'm curious what Ed thinks of it, and if would consider it an appropriate interpretation. My musings are in the quote:

quote:
All things draw their power from a pool of potential. This pool, however, while vast, is also consumable: it gets evenly partitioned among every thing that exists. Some things get more from this pool than others. Living and sentient creatures, for instance, get more than a bug, and a bug gets more than a plant. But regardless of your place on that ladder, the same pool is divided amongst all things. The further and thinner this pool is spread out, the lower the "ceiling of power" is for everyone. Just like a pool of water; if the bowl gets wider, the amount of water remains the same but the water becomes shallower; if the bowl gets narrower, the same amount of water will be much deeper.

This variation on the dogma suggests that Shar's people (the Shadovar), being blessed and protected by Her, and being ambitious people to start with, are "let on" to the "secret" of this aspect of existence - about this finite pool, and, more importantly, about how to make that metaphorical bowl more narrow again; to increase the amount of available power for themselves: kill the other things it is partitioned amongst, obviously. Reduce the number of things the power is spread across, making it thin. By destroying other things, Sharrans are securing more power for themselves. The more pious might take this further: more power being available not only to themselves, but to Shar, to aid Her in eventually destroying the other gods - Selūne and Mystra especially - that put such a moderation on this power in the first place. Once that potential is released from the other gods, Shar will become all power and her and Her chosen will live happily ever after in total power, blah blah, etc, etc.

To me, it appeases the survival instinct that rejects self-destruction, luring it instead with the absolute 'promise' of power by killing the people you don't like, your rivals, Shar's enemies... et al.

Barring that specific variation, does Ed find it reasonable that Thultanthar would follow some sort of interpretation of the dogma that the rest of Faerūn does not, considering their level of involvement with the Dark Deity?

Thanks in advance!

edit for typos!

Edited by - LetumLux on 30 Nov 2012 23:06:09
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2012 :  23:09:41  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Interesting, LetumLux! Off your post goes to Ed. He probably won't see it until tomorrow, but we'll see . . .

LadyRhian, I very seldom "edit" Ed's work in the professional sense. Occasionally I suggest things or point out things in the "kicking ideas around" manner that a "story editor" or "head editor" or "first editor" might, to steer a story before it's really written, or suggest that this or that be avoided or amplified.
My (freelance, sideline, these days) work is more often elsewhere, with other writers.

(Edit: I should add that I don't do this for Ed's Realms work, but rather for his other, non-Realms projects.)

love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 01 Dec 2012 21:19:31
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2012 :  16:14:36  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
Ed and THO,

Going back a bit to the Year of the Prince (1357 DR), I am stuck on someone: Orm of Melvaunt. I know he was an ally of Manshoon, but I don't really know much about him or what happened to him? I ask because it says that Orm was "deposed" in my single note of him: "Orm of Melvaunt, deposed ally of Manshoon"

I would appreciate any and all information about him and what holdings he may yet have at the start of 1357 DR (troops, holdings, ships, etc) I know it is a big question (or maybe it is a trivial one); but I became keenly interested in the fellow this morning for some reason.

Thanks for all that you do!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2012 :  18:45:50  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all!
Dalor, I know Orm of Melvaunt was a fat, sardonic, hedonistic and VERY wealthy merchant, who bankrolled Manshoon early on in return for contracts/money-making opportunities with Zhentil Keep. I believe Orm became a ruling Lord of Melvaunt (I'll have to ask Ed about the details of Melvaunt's government, and Orm's role in it), and was deposed from this position because of corruption/fraud that became public.
He was NOT killed, but relocated to the Vilhon or Chessenta, and went right on running his crooked but successful, expanding mercantile empire.
My notes have Ed telling us, years back: "Think of him as Greenstreet's the Fat Man, or Kingpin in the Spiderman comics, or Baron Harkonnen as portrayed in the DUNE movie."
When we Knights encountered him, he was trying to buy potions of longevity and a backup "way into undeath" for himself.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2012 :  18:49:19  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ah! Found an older note from our Realmsplay:

Orm was an influential or dominant member of the Council of Lords of Melvaunt in 1349 DR, because he was responsible for a decree issued by the Council in that year (in other words, he could sway the Council to his view). More when I get Ed to elucidate.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2012 :  20:20:38  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Ed played Orm (as a menacing, softly-speaking NPC villainous prime mover) in a long-ago convention Realms adventure he ran, back before TSR had bought the Realms. I was one of the players. Orm was CHILLING. And his flunkies had sleep-poisoned throwing knives that they used without hesitation.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2012 :  21:30:30  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Sage, I just got this, from Ed:

Brothels and festhalls that cater to the unusual often have a discreet plaque (carved wooden shield) affixed to the door that has either three horizontal feathers (owl feathers, or painted depictions of barred brown, beige, and white owl-like feathers), quills to the sinister and feather-ends to the dexter, or the same thing but with the center deather replaced by a horizontal painted dagger pointing the other way (that is, point to the dexter, hilt to the sinister). Why these two competing/different badges developed is forgotten, but they signal that the proprietors within are tolerant/will discuss anything, and provide a wider range of "diversions" than competing establishments. It is NOT a guarantee of any specific service being offered within.

For "male-on-male-only" services (especially when the building itself is otherwise nondescript/looks like a private dwelling), some festhall/brothel doorposts in the Vilhon, Border Kingdoms, and Tashalar display two parallel diagonal daggers (lower left to upper right, points at upper right).
For "female-on-female-only" services, this symbol is changed to two parallel diagonal daggers, as for males (above), but with the points "broken and hanging down" (from upper right towards lower right).

So there you have it. Some gently explicit 1970-era Realmslore from Ed (predating TSR, Wizards, and the D&D game, as it happens).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2012 :  23:47:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
So if you find a door with one dagger pointing up, and the other down, you found yourself a party, eh?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1264 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2012 :  00:04:57  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message
I'll never look at a dagger the same way again!
Go to Top of Page

Naeryndam
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2012 :  19:11:09  Show Profile Send Naeryndam a Private Message
Ed and THO,

Will we ever find out what happened to Amlaruil and Evermeet during the Spellplague? I know that Evermeet is now in the Feywild and that the Queen has vanished. Are there any plans to explore this? Other than the Grand History of the Realms, I don't believe anything has been mentioned.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2012 :  20:31:22  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Naeryndam, Ed tells me there are plans, all right, but he has no idea when/how we'll find out what happened to Amlaruil and Evermeet during the Spellplague. That's a tale Ed and I would both love to see Elaine tell or have a hand in, but at the moment this Sundering thing seems to be center stage and gathering in much of the creative energy of the moment.
Ed of course merrily goes on writing Eye on the Realms and Forging The Realms columns, but they tend to be narrower in focus and implications.
So we'll just have to see what the future holds...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Naeryndam
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2012 :  21:13:02  Show Profile Send Naeryndam a Private Message
Thanks THO! Good to know it hasn't been forgotten.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2012 :  22:02:26  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
Another question from me about Manshoon's early years and those he dealt with:

It has been alluded to that he has contact/alliance with the Cult of the Dragon...would it be possible that Manshoon actually has an active cell of the Cult within Zhentil Keep and that this is the reason he was able to gain a black dragon? Is there anything that can be revealed regarding Manshoon's Cult of the Dragon influences/contacts?

Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2012 :  00:29:04  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message
I hope Evermeet returns to Toril (and the Queen with it, or someone worthy to wield Zoar's sword). Thank you THO for letting us know something is being thought of on what happened (if we do not get Evermeet back). Even more to look forward to (and hope for)!
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1264 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2012 :  00:42:12  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Another question from me about Manshoon's early years and those he dealt with:

It has been alluded to that he has contact/alliance with the Cult of the Dragon...would it be possible that Manshoon actually has an active cell of the Cult within Zhentil Keep and that this is the reason he was able to gain a black dragon? Is there anything that can be revealed regarding Manshoon's Cult of the Dragon influences/contacts?

Wasn't it revealed in Spellfire that he and the Shadowsil were lovers? I think in general the Zhents and Cult hate eachother, but Manshoon and her probably shareed resources and helped eachotherer on occasion? Although if she had anything to do with his black dragon mount I can't say.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2012 :  16:16:12  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
It's possible, Dalor, but as Manshoon's special area of interest as a mage was working with, taming, and augmenting the powers of dragonkind, and he had that black dragon steed VERY early on (before the Zhentarim were founded, and before Manshoon came to any sort of power and prominence in Zhentil Keep), I rather think Manshoon's acquisition of a black dragon predates his contact with the Cult.
(In your own campaign, of course, things can be different.)
We Knights tried hard to lay bare how the Zhentarim and the Cult were working together, because although they largely weren't (at the "grunt" level), there was clearly some degree of cooperation (or at least "staying out of each other's way") at the higher levels, meaning Manshoon, Sememmon, Sarhthor and the like at the Zhentarim end were involved.
Let's see what Ed's prepared to reveal. It may not be much, as this is still an ongoing background thread in the "home" Realms campaign . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2012 :  18:45:00  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
quote:

It's possible, Dalor, but as Manshoon's special area of interest as a mage was working with, taming, and augmenting the powers of dragonkind, and he had that black dragon steed VERY early on (before the Zhentarim were founded, and before Manshoon came to any sort of power and prominence in Zhentil Keep), I rather think Manshoon's acquisition of a black dragon predates his contact with the Cult.
(In your own campaign, of course, things can be different.)
We Knights tried hard to lay bare how the Zhentarim and the Cult were working together, because although they largely weren't (at the "grunt" level), there was clearly some degree of cooperation (or at least "staying out of each other's way") at the higher levels, meaning Manshoon, Sememmon, Sarhthor and the like at the Zhentarim end were involved.
Let's see what Ed's prepared to reveal. It may not be much, as this is still an ongoing background thread in the "home" Realms campaign . . .
love,
THO

I thought that his ability to influence the Cult was because of his powers regarding dragons. I have to say that him being the Leader of a Cult Cell is really appealing to me...

Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2012 :  19:31:44  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
A question to ask ED, inspired from another conversation on this board:

Do gods have wills? Do and can they give their realms, powers and/or worshiper's souls to a deity they trust until they are resurrected or for all eternity (Which ever comes first)? Cause even at this point gods know they can die, why else do they develop multiple resurrection gambits (like Bane does)?

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2012 :  20:46:21  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
According to Ed, that thunderous echoing you hear is the sound of Foxhelm's words slamming full-tilt into a long-standing but massive NDA.
Sigh.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2012 :  04:41:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

A question to ask ED, inspired from another conversation on this board:

Do gods have wills? Do and can they give their realms, powers and/or worshiper's souls to a deity they trust until they are resurrected or for all eternity (Which ever comes first)? Cause even at this point gods know they can die, why else do they develop multiple resurrection gambits (like Bane does)?

Waukeen did something kinda like this... She tried to make an end-run around Ao's restrictions, during the Time of Troubles, and shed her divinity, handing it over to Llira. And then she disappeared for 10 years. Llira didn't really do much to support Waukeen's portfolio, but she did hold it in trust until Waukeen was freed from the Lower Planes.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000