Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2012)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  13:01:57  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

. . . And I've just received an e-mail from the overworked Ed. Like last year, Ed is going to try, before the end of the year, to answer one outstanding lore question from every year of this thread (so, 2004 to date).

1st request:
Did we find out who penned, 'Filfaeril, Bound and Willing?'

2nd request:
Back in 2009 Ed mentioned four unpublished Nobles families of Cormyr and provided lots of magnificent lore on three of them; House Arcantlet, House Bryarn and House Haldoneir.

I can't recall the fourth house being posted?

Thanks

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 17 Dec 2012 13:13:17
Go to Top of Page

Lunarbeams
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  14:08:16  Show Profile Send Lunarbeams a Private Message
quote:

And while I'm here, I might as well address these, from Lunarbeams:
"What exciting adventures will the new chosen will have in 2013?"
THO: New Chosen? What New Chosen? Do tell! (Ed certainly can't legally say much of anything about adventures ahead in 2013, whether they feature New Chosen or not.)

"What is going happen to Elminister?"
THO: Who is "Elminister"? A cleric with a death wish? All sorts of creatures tend to show up to try to slay Elminster, so if one of them mishears this name, whoever that priest is will undoubtedly have a dark and sticky time . . .
Now, if you mean ELMINSTER, the only answer Ed can probably give is: a lot of things are going to happen to him. They always do.
Not that we can share much, beforehand, of course . . .

"By the way can we have some e-books be in printed media?"
THO: I'm going to assume here that you're speaking of Realms fiction published by Wizards, rather than more generally. That's a good question, but one best put to Wizards, not Ed, because Wizards does the publishing. (Just for the record, Ed thinks ALL Realmslore should be available in e-book, printed, audio book, and Braille formats, simultaneously and all the time - - but then again, Ed isn't financially running any publishing company, and there are good reasons for that. )

So there you have it: answers from me, this time.
love,
THO

Thanks for the reply. I understand the reason behind the digital media and Ed not running a publishing company. (Ed does not need the aggravation or headache to run publishing company)(Ack little words always get me in the end) .

"Software are easy to solve because they do not have egos. "

Edited by - Lunarbeams on 18 Dec 2012 00:35:10
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  14:47:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

quote:

. . . And I've just received an e-mail from the overworked Ed. Like last year, Ed is going to try, before the end of the year, to answer one outstanding lore question from every year of this thread (so, 2004 to date).

1st request:

I'm pretty sure we didn't, though there was a lot of speculation, for a while... I know I'd still like to know!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  15:03:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

quote:

1st request:

I'm pretty sure we didn't, though there was a lot of speculation, for a while... I know I'd still like to know!

Pretty much.

I recall the Lady Hooded One responding to yet another roughly similar query back in ... errr ... August, I think. She teasingly answered that while some of us have come close, the actual identity of the the author remains unknown to us.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  17:04:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
My wish for questions: ANY question pertaining to geography (you know, like the name of the tiny range just north of the Citadel of the Raven ), whether they were my questions or someone else's.

I seem to recall THO promising me a name for a (thus-far) unknown (in the published realms) name for a fallen dwarf-hold in The North, that she had in her notes. Anything like that would super-awesome.

BTW, hope both of you (and everyone else here for that matter) are having a great holiday season. I hope Ed has the good sense to take at least a week off from writing - he needs to rest, and we don't want him to 'burn out'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Dec 2012 17:05:15
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2012 :  05:00:36  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO, in many of Ed's novels, wizards who cast scrying spells sometimes do so without the aid of a crystal ball or mirror etc, instead creating a orb of magical energies focused on scring. How does that work out? Is making a scrying sphere better than an apparatus of scrying?? Would like to hear your answers and thoughts on this.

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2012 :  16:19:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Not sure if this was ever asked before - are there any 'world famous' museums in the Realms? You know, the kind that have names everyone would recognize (like RW "The Louvre")?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2012 :  21:08:19  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Ooh, nice one Markus. I'd like to hear about museums too. I imagine some existed in the old elven kingdoms, like Miyeritar and of course Myth Drannor but maybe some others too. Which is just my way of saying I'd like to expand Markus' query to the collections of xenophobic cultures that might not be known/available to the general public. But his question is probably quicker to answer, so that's cool too.

Also, another easy query... the "dark shanut wood" bartered/exported by the villagers of Grunwald... is "dark shanut" the name of the wood/tree, implying the existence of light shanut elsewhere, or is it just "shanut" with dark being supplied as an informative adjective? I don't see any references to this wood outside of The Savage Frontier and Volo's Guide to the North... my bad if I'm just being blind.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2012 :  21:24:47  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ah! This one I can HALF answer for you, xaeyruudh! (From my notes of playing and speaking with Ed, of course.)

There is no "light shanut wood," just raw (that is, growing or just cut or untreated) shanut wood, and dark shanut wood.
Shanut wood dries quickly, once cut, and splits into woody splinters (good for kindling, but not much else). Think of overdone roast beef: has a definite grain, and falls aparts in rough cylinders.
So to keep the wood useful (and intact for shipping, so it isn't all lost by falling apart along the way), the cut ends of shanut are stood in buckets or pools of oil (almost any oil will do), which the wood absorbs and keeps from drying out. In the process, it turns dark (readily obvious to the eye), and so is known as "dark shanut wood." A trade/vendor's term to assure buyers that what they'll be getting isn't useless.

And there you have it. A tiny fragment of Realmslore.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2012 :  21:41:45  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. I was just searching for a very old note, and found it. So, Markustay, here's a start on a museums answer for you...

We Knights once, while underground, stumbled on a carved dwarf face in a cavern wall. Torm (the thief of the party, not the deity he was named for) fiddled with it, it did indeed prove to be a door we could open, and the small, spherical chamber (carved-out-by-dwarves cavern) behind it was a dwarf museum of sorts: fragments of broken weapons mounted in stone bases which were graven with the name of the dwarf who wielded that weapon, and brief accounts of their battle deeds.
I wrote down one of them:

Hadrorn of Clan Frundyn
Third of that name
Tuskbeard, Thaela's brother
Bold in battle, leaper onto the heads of dragons
His doom in the end, after six wyrms vanquished
Follower of Stormaxe, trusted shield
Another light lost. Worthy of mourning.

(Ed translated the Dethek for us, and of course wrote it in the first place. A curved shard of axeblade was mounted in the top of Hadrorn's stone.)
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 18 Dec 2012 21:42:29
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2012 :  00:04:26  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
quote:

Shanut wood dries quickly, once cut, and splits into woody splinters (good for kindling, but not much else).

Nice! ...But that doesn't sound ideal for carving. Is there some sort of treatment process to keep it from drying out while the carver does his thing, and after it's turned into a finished piece? Or is it part of the style to make weathered-looking, somewhat fragile carvings? Or am I just not getting the right picture in my head?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2012 :  04:33:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ah, didn't state things clearly enough - - sorry, xaeyruudh!
The dark shanut wood retains the oil it has sucked up for decades (and so remains supple and durable for carving). When it starts to dry out (gets light in weight and goes light in hue), it can be set in oil to absorb some again.
So, choose oil carefully, or the carving will be either highly flammable or smell rancid - - or both.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2012 :  16:01:31  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Hmm...would have thought there'd have been a flood of "Answer this one!" "No, answer THIS one!" posts by now, regarding Ed's offer.
Me, I'd like to request something new, that's also something old. Anything (ANYTHING) more Ed can share about the Border Kingdoms. Any era, any sort of thing...please?
Thank you in advance,
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2012 :  21:46:58  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Okay...ask and ye shall receive.
From my notes (direct from Ed):

The Border Kingdoms seem to be where wild turkeys, ruffed grouse, giant hedgehogs, and muskrats are all most abundant in Faerun today . . . not to mention edible snakes and giant wading birds. In the southern and eastern fringes of the region, young children with stones (and sometimes slings) can easily kill and bring back "wild meat" dinners in an idle afternoon.
Old tomes preserved at Goldenfields say game was last that abundant in the open country east of Waterdeep more than six hundred summers ago.

There. A tiny thing about the Border Kingdoms, but . . . 'tis a thing.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2012 :  02:18:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

There. A tiny thing about the Border Kingdoms, but . . . 'tis a thing.
Oh, you certainly know how to tempt me, my lovely lady.

More Border Kingdoms. More I say!

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2012 :  07:18:58  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Thank you! Shanut is interesting stuff. I think you stated it quite well; I just wasn't expecting the absorbed oil to stick around for that long, so I probably should have asked about that. I do still have a couple more questions about it, if persistence isn't too annoying.

Does it grow elsewhere in the Realms, or just in the Lurkwood, or just in the North? Is it an evergreen? Conifer? What height/diameter does a shanut tree often reach, and what sort of look/shape does it have? I like trees, does it show?
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2012 :  07:49:09  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
And another query: are there particular species of trees in the Realms that are most/least likely to be represented among treants... and related (or mistakenly believed to be related) species like dark trees and the array of evil tree-based creatures given to us in 2e whose names I'm not remembering right now? Duskwood treants? Weir? (hah weretreants?) Blueleaf? I imagine the mix varies according to the forest; I'm just wondering if treants can be any species of tree in existence with equal probability, or whether they tend toward a few species and perhaps (for example) the appearance of a zalantar treant would be an exciting once-in-10,000-years kind of thing.

Kinda seems like the sort of thing that might have been asked before, but searching Candlekeep for "treant" returns a 5-page list of threads.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2012 :  11:14:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I found this blurb, from 2009... I don't recall if this was something shared here, or something from an email exchange. I bolded the relevant part.

quote:
Weirwoods could be occupied by dryads and hamadryads as emergency refuges (when "their" trees are imperiled or destroyed), but otherwise, no, wouldn't be. The wood has too strong a life of its ; to the dryad, it would feel like we do when electricity is flowing through us strongly (can't relax, feel excited but also 'odd'). No, weirwoods aren't treants; treants are indeed their own species. Heh; according to me, anyway. ;}

Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2012 :  00:35:05  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

And another query: are there particular species of trees in the Realms that are most/least likely to be represented among treants... and related (or mistakenly believed to be related) species like dark trees and the array of evil tree-based creatures given to us in 2e whose names I'm not remembering right now? Duskwood treants? Weir? (hah weretreants?) Blueleaf? I imagine the mix varies according to the forest; I'm just wondering if treants can be any species of tree in existence with equal probability, or whether they tend toward a few species and perhaps (for example) the appearance of a zalantar treant would be an exciting once-in-10,000-years kind of thing.

Kinda seems like the sort of thing that might have been asked before, but searching Candlekeep for "treant" returns a 5-page list of threads.

Elminster's Ecologies - Explorer's Manual talks about a few kinds of treants.

birch treants of the rimwood identifiable by their smooth white bark

midwood treants resemble golden willow and black locust trees

Starwood treants look like dark brown oaks and mist gray elms

Edited by - rjfras on 21 Dec 2012 00:36:39
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2012 :  02:04:27  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by rjfras

Elminster's Ecologies -

Thanks for the pointer!

All treants looking the same doesn't work for me, because it would make them visually distinct from regular trees... which in turn would make them easy targets for anyone who wants to pursue an anti-tree agenda in that treant's forest. In the absence of defenders both powerful and numerous, they would be killed off much faster than they could reproduce, and they'd go extinct. It makes much more sense, to me, that treants would develop in a given forest from the trees found in large numbers in that forest, likely acquiring sentience at a certain age since I've never heard of a treant-sapling. YMMV, of course.

On yet another tangent, which I don't mean as a query, I wonder about giving treants age categories, as was done with phaerimm (this word should not get an S in its plural form; just sayin). This would encompass/explain elder treants and offer the possibility of developing various abilities as the treant ages, plus it would just generally be spiffy.

Anyway, am I off-base for the treants of the Realms? Do they "bloom" in existing trees, thus blending in, or are they born as completely separate creatures which perhaps naturally/supernaturally grow to resemble the surrounding trees? Hm, now I see that Elminster's Ecologies mentions squirrel nibblings and suggests that treants are born from little shoots. Sigh... so then the question changes to why do we never see young/immature treants.

What I was wondering, when I could safely assume that they develop in already living trees, is if perhaps certain species of trees never (or exceedingly rarely) become treants... like in Wooly's conversation about weirwoods. Unique little things like that are interesting.

So I dunno if this warps or nullifies my question. I'm gonna go drink a glass of chocolate milk and see where that leads me...
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2012 :  20:49:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Aside from the obvious meta-gaming answer, WHY doesn't technology function properly in Realmspace? Does it have anything to do with Ao, Mystra, or The Weave? Or is there some 'higher power' that dictates the physics of individual spheres?

EDIT: BTW, loved the Being There reference in the interview (and also the one to the FGU Flash Gordon product).

EDIT: Better Question (one you could probably answer much more readily) - While researching what few official locales are in Sembia I came across Griffonfang Bridge. Supposedly this is mentioned in a Polyhedron (94) article, which I do not have access to. Its shown on the FRIA map but it doesn't show it going over anything; what is the purpose of this bridge?

Brian James also mentions it as the location of a treaty signing in his 4e Cormyr article, but thats about it. I get this weird picture in my head of a massive dwarf-built 'stone bridge' over a 3" creek, with dignitaries from both Cormyr and Sembia huddled on it signing a treaty (scared to death of falling into the 1" deep water below!)

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Dec 2012 23:24:10
Go to Top of Page

dravenloft
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2012 :  03:41:17  Show Profile  Visit dravenloft's Homepage Send dravenloft a Private Message
Just wanted to wish Ed And THO Merry Christmas, and everyone else a Happy/Merry holiday of choice.

Which DID cause me to think of a question I think has ben touched on, but not aked outright (that I've seen): what sorts of Christmas time-esque holidays/celebrations might we find among the folk of Faerūn?
Are there any of the gods, in particular, who have special holy days that bear any semblence to Christmas/Hannhuka/Jül/etc.?
How about Santa Claus? I've this sudden image of Lliiran priests by the score having some festive day where they spill from their temples laden with packs of toys for children. Or Mask's faithful doing rather the opposite.

Space Opera, Planetary Romance, Speculative Fiction and similar by me.
check it out at http://universal-nexus.com
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2012 :  16:32:43  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Suddenly I understand why children are up at 5am on the 25th, stampeding down the stairs pajama-clad to shred the wrapping of anything wrapped.

If they waited until a more reasonable hour, all the presents would be gone, spirited away by Mask on his annual Great Haul.
Go to Top of Page

Lord of Bones
Seeker

United Kingdom
78 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2012 :  21:38:49  Show Profile  Visit Lord of Bones's Homepage Send Lord of Bones a Private Message
Hello Ed and THO!

I was just watching the horse events at Olympia and a thought occurred to me. As the The Barcelona Police Mounted Unit performed wonderfully, even having their horses lay down at one point, I thought of how excellent a tactic this would be in combat.

Imagine an army with horses so well trained that they would lay down in a grassy field until the enemy was on the horizon. Just like that, riders would ascend from the brush on horseback, charging at an enemy that had no idea as to their opponent's secret weapon - a concealed cavalry.

My question (and also a recommendation - watch the event if you can) is whether any such cavalry might exist in the Realms. Wars are fought with many tactics in play, but the idea of concealed mounts (not magically, although I suppose they could be) really strikes me as more innovative than hiding around a hill only to be spotted by scouts and trackers.

Many thanks

Matthew

Come watch the Gentleman's Guide to Gaming!
http://www.youtube.com/user/clackclickbang

On my channel I review and dissect role-playing games with great gusto. Please do take a look and let me know what you think.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2012 :  00:01:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. I bring this reply from Ed to Matthew (The Gentleman Gamer):

Hi, Matthew! Yes, there have been a few Faerūnian cavalry units as well-trained as this. In the 1380s, notably, the forty-some-strong Steel Regent's Riders of Cormyr, a mixed band of nobility and common-born Purple Dragons trained by adventurers personally loyal to Alusair. Their mounts could "go down" in swift and tidy unison without breaking their riders' legs to minimize the damage of hostile arrow volleys, and to allow their riders (who weren't good horse archers) to themselves use longbows or crossbows against foes.
The horses were also trained to circle back (if separated in battle from their riders) to look for their usual riders, to accept other riders from the unit on their backs, to accept riders arriving on their backs with sudden violence (i.e. leaping, in the heart of a wild fray), to "stand" when confronted with bursts of flame and/or loud noises, and to "return to camp" (riderless or bearing a slumped, non-guiding rider) when a certain brief (five-note) tune was sung, shouted, or whistled.
It was later revealed that the horses were largely trained by one of the adventurers, who was, yes, a werehorse, and led them (providing a patiently-repetitious, communicative example) through most training exercises.
The Riders departed the service of the Crown when the Steel Regent disappeared, and their fate isn't publicly known (inevitably, a belief has arisen in Cormyr that they will ride out of hiding to the aid of the realm someday, when they are sorely needed).
Yes, I'm keeping the names, backgrounds, etc. of the adventurers involved secret for now. NDAs, you understand.
Oh, and Happy Christmas!

So saith Ed. I'll echo his holiday wishes to Matthew to all scribes, of every belief and heritage: may you all find happiness in these dark days following the Winter Solstice!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2012 :  06:28:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
A werehorse? Oh, ye dancing gods, the jokes that beg to be made from that one!

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2012 :  21:17:52  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message

so Im curious

jaamdath, when the elves destroyed it with a tidalwave, was jaamdath( or whatever the cities of the sword was called) guilty of anything other than tresspassing and cutting down trees or did they kill,rape, pillage elves and their homesteads too??

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2012 :  22:07:12  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

so Im curious

jaamdath, when the elves destroyed it with a tidalwave, was jaamdath( or whatever the cities of the sword was called) guilty of anything other than tresspassing and cutting down trees or did they kill,rape, pillage elves and their homesteads too??

From Lost Empires of Faerun:

quote:
–276 Year of Overflowing Casks: A bloody coup in Jhaamdath replaces the psiocracy of bladelords with a militant emperor, who commands the building of a great navy on the Inner Sea. Jhaamdathan loggers come into conflict with the elves of the Chondalwood. Over the next twenty years, Jhaamdathan forces hunt down and slaughter the elves.
–255 Year of Furious Waves: A tidal wave created by elven high magic destroys Jhaamdath.

quote:
In –276 DR, a military coup dissolved the bladelord psiocracy and installed a powerful metamind (see Expanded Psionics Handbook) as emperor. Imperial Jhaamdath expanded rapidly west and south. Its leaders also turned a covetous eye on the Sea of Fallen Stars and began to build a great naval armada in preparation for conquering the inland sea. The need for wood to build their ships turned the people of Jhaamdath into terrible despoilers of nearby woodlands. Jhaamdathan forces mercilessly slaughtered the elves of Nikerymath when the latter fought to defend their forest home, but still Jhaamdath sought more wood. In desperation, the elves of the Chondalwood used elven high magic to call forth a tremendous tidal wave from the Sea of Fallen Stars and send it crashing over Jhaamdath, drowning all twelve of its great cities.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2012 :  22:30:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I found this floating in the ethers...

quote:
Originally posted by Rivenhelm

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all the diligent, faithful scribes of Candlekeep. I have been a longtime lurker here on these boards and the old Realms-L forums. I am thankful that everyone has carried on their love of the Realms here and have kept it a living, breathing world. I lament waiting until now to join the fun, but I'm glad old friends from the Realms-L -- George & Phillip among others -- are active here and some (Krash) have been noticed by Wizards for their love and creativity. Congrats my friend! While my career and various other commitments have kept me from, not only playing the game, but from contributing to the keep; some may remember my one lasting contribution on the Realms-L boards. Using the Kings & Queens of England as a rough template, I placed as many of the Kings & Queens of Cormyr as were known at the time and the approximate years they may have reigned into a coherent list. Ed, following the List at the time, gave his approval, of which I was pleasantly surprised by. And also pleasantly surprised by those figures being quoted on the list right up until The Grand History of the Realms made them obsolete. But it is the contributions of everyone here that I am truly grateful for. Especially those of the lovely THO! Your time and efforts to bring the most flavorful little bites of the Realms to us all can never really truly be appreciated enough. And of course to Ed, who has given so much of himself to all of us here, that even the most dedicated Saint (Nick) would marvel at it tenfold, and yet he tirelessly continues to give. Thank you Ed. It has been long long overdue!!

Which brings me to the purposes of this post. Firstly, "hi" everyone, sorry it's been so long. Secondly, I would like to give something back to all of you who have given so much. Being a huge fan of the Old Grey Box and inspired by one line from it, I wrote a short story. Having long since given up on it seeing print, I would like to present it as a holiday gift to, not only the fine scribes here, to THO as well, but more importantly to, the man himself, Ed. So my question would go out to the moderators here and to THO on the best way to accomplish this. I know it could be tricky posting it here at the Keep considering the story uses actual characters and places from the published Realms. Hopefully it's an easily avoided matter, but that's where I'll need guidance from Wooly, Sage or Alaundo. It will be less of an issue of sharing it with you and Ed THO. If you could let me know the easiest way to get it to you both I'd really really appreciate it.

Finally, this is a questions for Ed thread, and although I hate to ask yet more of the man, I have yet to hear an answer to a long ago query -- and since he asked for it, here it is. Just which monarch are the princess's Elmyra & Hlassela born to. Asked by Nevorick on Sept. 26, 2007. I have attempted to draft a tree of the Cormyr line. Needless to say it's quite chaotic in many places, but I have a feeling that where I placed those two ladies is a little late in the line.

Also, something that has nagged me, and something that Ed has done a really terrific job of rectifying in the Volo Guides and here at the Keep, was that there was little or no additional essential information added to the Cormyr Supplement (TSR #9410) that I thought a supplement dedicated exclusively to Cormyr should contain. As an example; was not including, something I had hoped they would have included, street names in the major cities. Thanks to Ed I have been able to map some of them, but there are others I cannot place definitively. So as an additional question, and one I hope shouldn't take too much of Ed's time, could he furnish the streets for the following locales in Suzail?:
The alley that Argul's tower fronts.
The east-west street that Helve Dhasjarr's house fronts.
The east-west street that Crommor Lhestayl's house fronts.
The curving north-south street that Talahon's yards fronts.
The curving north-south street that the Golden Goblin fronts (continuation of Garth street or Mayhap lane -- or neither?)
The arcing roughly east-west lane that forms the corner on which the Golden Goblin stands.
The small streets that allow access to Iravan's Yards (north & south)
The street that takes you to the Market from Fields-Gates.
The north-south street that exits the market going to the Purple Scar.
The short street & longer one that the Crying Witch stands.
The roughly north-south street that Laspeera's tower & Dolchar Dethantar's house appear to front.
The branching north-south street Danain's hardware store fronts.
The long roughly east-west street on the west side Thelmar's inn.
Does Court Close cross the Promenade? If not, the north-south street south of the Winking Eye & the Promenade.
The arcing east-west street that terminates west of Zhaelun's stockyards.
The east-west street the Mare's Tail tavern fronts.
The north-south street Taneth's festhall fronts.
The north-south street that runs east of the Black Rat tavern to the wharf. (I have Silver Scales street as the east-west street north of the Black Rat)
The north-west street Saszesk's house fronts.
The long east-west street south of the Weather Eye tavern that runs to Market Hall.
The north-south street east of the Weather Eye tavern.
The north-south street that runs east of Selavar's Inn.
The north-south street Zults fronts.
The north-south street west of the Laughing Lass tavern.
The east-west street south of the Laughing Lass that bends south.
The east-west street that runs two doors north of the Laughing Lass.
The east-west street that runs several doors south of Zults (not sure which building is Zults -- dark building on the Grey Box map?)
The first street branching south off the Street of Staves east of the Promenade.
The second street branching south off the Street of Staves that runs to the Citadel of the Purple Dragons.
The north-south street west of the above (running parallel to it, but not joining with the Street of Staves)
The curving north-south street that forms a T with Street of Staves & Stone Bow streets ending in a T with Coachwheels Way.
The east-west street that Rheuban's stables fronts.
The north-south street Dragon's Eye coster is on (if not still Coachwheels Way)
The east-west street between Dragon's Eye & Thousandheads costers.
The east-west street south of Faeri's warehouse that runs between Thousandheads & Seven Suns costers (unless that is another street)
The east-west street that runs between Seven Suns & Six Coffers costers.
The east-west street that Sontravin's inn fronts.

Though not a complete list, it covers those streets with a named landmark associated with it. Also here are streets that have been mentioned but I was not able to pin down with any certainty:
Low Lantern Lane
Dragonfall Alley
Ulster's Street
Torch Street
Blade Lane
Dancing Druid Lane
Pendle Street
Doloph Street (south of, and parallel to the Promenade [west end of the city])
Mistmoat Alley
Crownever Lane
Seawind Lane (southwest of the market)
Blackbuck Lane
Stallion Street
Taumurt's Lane

Lastly, like most die-hard fans I was disheartened with the direction 4E was taking with the Realms & the Spellplauge, but have been heartened by the new direction the Realms seems to be going now. I really love Elminster's Forgotten Realms and recommend it highly. Our group has recently resurrected our long-dead Cormyr campaign thanks to our friend's 12-year old son's tremendous interest in old-school First Edition D&D, Cormyr, and Eveningstar in particular. I would like to add my voice to those clamoring for oft-hinted at 90+ page Eveningstar Supplement that was briefly talked about in this scroll earlier this year. Perhaps if we ask enough small question of Ed about the region, histories of the people, local feuds, and even more legends of the area, we could get close to what that product might present to us -- minus maps of course. Hopefully the direction of 5E may allow for such a product to actually be published. Ahhh, dare to dream.

So I'm officially adding that to my List to Santa. And, here's to everyone's Holiday Wishes coming true. To all, Happy Holidays and thanks in advance for all your help!!

Rich...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2012 :  22:31:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I will add my own Christmas wishes to Ed and our lovely Lady Hooded One.

Oh, and Lady Hooded One, there's a pair of stocking by my fireplace you're welcome to fill. Don't worry about bringing any gifts, though.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000