Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2012)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  00:03:05  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all!
Here's Ed's promised response to Damian, re. this: "What are the rules on dividing loot between the Kings Local Lord and the Purple Dragon troops

Many many thanks for the very full reply, another piece of Cormyrian lore (and law!) to add to the 'less than all knowing DM tome' I use at the gaming table

Very much appreciated Ed and THO

Kindest regards

Damian
ps it has been a VERY long time since I bought a comic, but hey I can pretend to be a teenager again and go order my copy, am looking forward to reading it

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  00:45:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by CylverSaber

I just got this in my inbox:

quote:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Forgotten Realms Creator to Script New Ongoing
Dungeons & Dragons®: Forgotten Realms® Comic Book Series
Ed Greenwood will be joined by artist Lee Ferguson and comic legend Sal Buscema on new series

San Diego, CA (January 17, 2012) – IDW Publishing, in cooperation with Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., is pleased to announce the all-new DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: FORGOTTEN REALMS ongoing comic book series, hitting shelves in April. Legendary writer Ed Greenwood, creator of the Forgotten Realms RPG campaign setting, will be scripting the comic¯his first-ever ongoing Dungeons & Dragons comic series¯and offering one lucky reader a once-in-a-lifetime chance to have his or her own character appear in the series!

Telling the tale of two all-new adventurers who find themselves caught up in a kidnapping plot they never wanted a part of, this series offers a fresh new jumping-on point for new readers and fans. DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: FORGOTTEN REALMS features art by Lee Ferguson (G.I. JOE: Snake Eyes), inks by renowned comic artist Sal Buscema (The Incredible Hulk), and covers by acclaimed Dungeons & Dragons artists Tyler Walpole and Steve Ellis.

“Forty-five years ago, as a young kid sitting alone in a study crammed with books, I started creating the Forgotten Realms world,” said Greenwood. “And, well, I’m still at it. The Realms is a vast, colorful, exciting sandbox full of stories waiting to be told.”

Readers will have the opportunity to play in that sandbox, thanks to the Forgotten Realms Character Creation Contest offered by IDW and Wizards of the Coast. Eligible readers will have the opportunity to submit their D&D® character and one lucky winner will see it come to life in the hands of the Forgotten Realms creator. Chosen by Wizards of the Coast, IDW, and Greenwood, the winner will see his or her character appear in a future issue of the series, subject to the contest rules.

Given the opportunity to have your own character appear amid the non-stop action of DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: FORGOTTEN REALMS, Greenwood quipped ,“you know the old saying about being careful what you wish for? Well, it applies to wishing for adventure, too!” For more details, visit the official Dungeons & Dragons website.

DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: FORGOTTEN REALMS #1 ($3.99, 32 pages, full color) will be available in stores in April 2012. Diamond order code FEB120140.

So, my question to Ed is... are you as psyched about this as I am? This combines three of my favorite things, the Realms, Ed's writing, and comics! No, wait, Sal Buscema is in on this too... make that four of my favorite things!

Ed Greenwood AND Sal Buscema working on a comic? I think one of my comic book dreams just came true. Literally...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

CylverSaber
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  01:06:46  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

So, my question to Ed is... are you as psyched about this as I am? This combines three of my favorite things, the Realms, Ed's writing, and comics! No, wait, Sal Buscema is in on this too... make that four of my favorite things!

Ed Greenwood AND Sal Buscema working on a comic? I think one of my comic book dreams just came true. Literally...

Even though Sal is just inking, I'm still excited; after all, fantasy adventure runs in the Buscema blood :) Haven't seen Lee Ferguson's pencils before, but IDW has a track record of hiring top-notch artists.

Which brings to mind another question for Ed... are there any comic artists you'd particularly love to work with?
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  03:06:11  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message
quote:

To Gelcur, re. the the Melairkyn clan rune, Ed saith:

Good guess!
However, the actual rune is two diagonally crossed stone-headed hammers (crossed in the usual "X" shape of diagonals, like piratical crossbones or the Wilkinson swords, with the heads uppermost), and just above them is an arc (ends down, center up) of three floating crowns, the crowns being represented by flat horizontal lines with three triangles jutting up from them; two shorter smaller ones at each end, and a taller larger one in the middle.

Awesome, straight to photoshop with this so my players can see it in Undermountain. Glad to hear Ed is happy and so optimistic for the future, I hope it bodes well.

Thank you again.

And Fellfire yes my sig is from a game I ran in, what now seems like a long time ago. And that rogue in question was none other than myself. And trust me a general store on wheels comes in so very handy.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  03:36:15  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Dungeons & Dragons�: Forgotten Realms� Comic Book Series
Ed Greenwood will be joined by artist Lee Ferguson and comic legend Sal Buscema on new series

San Diego, CA (January 17, 2012) � IDW Publishing, in cooperation with Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., is pleased to announce the all-new DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: FORGOTTEN REALMS ongoing comic book series, hitting shelves in April. Legendary writer Ed Greenwood, creator of the Forgotten Realms RPG campaign setting, will be scripting the comic�his first-ever ongoing Dungeons & Dragons comic series�and offering one lucky reader a once-in-a-lifetime chance to have his or her own character appear in the series!

Telling the tale of two all-new adventurers who find themselves caught up in a kidnapping plot they never wanted a part of, this series offers a fresh new jumping-on point for new readers and fans. DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: FORGOTTEN REALMS features art by Lee Ferguson (G.I. JOE: Snake Eyes), inks by renowned comic artist Sal Buscema (The Incredible Hulk), and covers by acclaimed Dungeons & Dragons artists Tyler Walpole and Steve Ellis.

�Forty-five years ago, as a young kid sitting alone in a study crammed with books, I started creating the Forgotten Realms world,� said Greenwood. �And, well, I�m still at it. The Realms is a vast, colorful, exciting sandbox full of stories waiting to be told.�

Readers will have the opportunity to play in that sandbox, thanks to the Forgotten Realms Character Creation Contest offered by IDW and Wizards of the Coast. Eligible readers will have the opportunity to submit their D&D� character and one lucky winner will see it come to life in the hands of the Forgotten Realms creator. Chosen by Wizards of the Coast, IDW, and Greenwood, the winner will see his or her character appear in a future issue of the series, subject to the contest rules.

Given the opportunity to have your own character appear amid the non-stop action of DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: FORGOTTEN REALMS, Greenwood quipped ,�you know the old saying about being careful what you wish for? Well, it applies to wishing for adventure, too!� For more details, visit the official Dungeons & Dragons website.

DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: FORGOTTEN REALMS #1 ($3.99, 32 pages, full color) will be available in stores in April 2012. Diamond order code FEB120140.

Ditto on that. For the first time in more than 10 years, I'm thinking I may be picking up some monthly comics.....

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  03:48:46  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
quote:

quote:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Dungeons & Dragons®: Forgotten Realms® Comic Book Series

San Diego, CA (January 17, 2012) – IDW Publishing, in cooperation with Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., is pleased to announce the all-new DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: FORGOTTEN REALMS ongoing comic book series, hitting shelves in April. Legendary writer Ed Greenwood, creator of the Forgotten Realms RPG campaign setting, will be scripting the comic¯his first-ever ongoing Dungeons & Dragons comic series¯and offering one lucky reader a once-in-a-lifetime chance to have his or her own character appear in the series!

“Forty-five years ago, as a young kid sitting alone in a study crammed with books, I started creating the Forgotten Realms world,” said Greenwood. “And, well, I’m still at it. The Realms is a vast, colorful, exciting sandbox full of stories waiting to be told.”

Readers will have the opportunity to play in that sandbox, thanks to the Forgotten Realms Character Creation Contest offered by IDW and Wizards of the Coast. Eligible readers will have the opportunity to submit their D&D® character and one lucky winner will see it come to life in the hands of the Forgotten Realms creator. Chosen by Wizards of the Coast, IDW, and Greenwood, the winner will see his or her character appear in a future issue of the series, subject to the contest rules.

Given the opportunity to have your own character appear amid the non-stop action of DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: FORGOTTEN REALMS, Greenwood quipped ,“you know the old saying about being careful what you wish for? Well, it applies to wishing for adventure, too!” For more details, visit the official Dungeons & Dragons website.

Bad ass!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

187 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  06:08:54  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message
Hi Ed,

This is my first time asking a question on one of these and I think it's pretty cool. Thanks for taking the time out. Anyhoo my inquiry is simple enough. What are your thoughts on the reprinting of AD&D and the implications it might have on the gaming scene?

Edited by - Ozreth on 21 Jan 2012 06:09:39
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  16:18:21  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
I bring you the latest words of Ed, in reply to CylverSaber, re. the FR Comic book:

Yes, I'm psyched. I'm working on the third issue right now, and I've been LOVING it. IDW is a great to work with, and the scripts just seem to FLOW when I'm writing. The art I've seen thus far has excited me, and re. artists I'd love to work with, IDW asked me that same thing (and I asked if Tyler Walpole could do covers). As a comics fan from way back (yes, monthly comics cost 12 cents each when I started reading; yep, I AM older than dirt) I have quite a few "dream" artists - - and some of them are even still alive (sigh). I'm doing full scripts, then sitting back and watching everybody else turn it into . . . magic.
(No, not MAGIC: THE GATHERING. ;} )

So saith Ed. The comic is one of the things that's been keeping him busy these last few months, but there are other things too, believe me.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 21 Jan 2012 16:18:38
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  16:35:25  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. More from Ed, this time in response to Menelvagor's post.
Menelvagor: "Another question on my favorite topic, inspired by Jakk's quotes regarding the Nether Scrolls. "the Nether Scrolls do store so much magical knowledge" - are the Nether Scrolls the only artifact to do this?"
Ed: No, they're not the only artifact that stores a lot of magic. Period, full stop, have you notice the recent spike in the price of potatoes? Lah dee dah... ;}

Menelvagor: "Because it seems to me that Symrustar's Choker performs a similar function, though admittedly, it only stores enough magical knowledge/Art for one mage to always have what she needs. But I was interested in the similarities, and so I wonder, what inspired Symrustar to make her Choker, who helped her with it, and whether the Nether Scrolls or similar artifacts were part of the inspiration. Moreover, since its status is unknown, might it serve a similar purpose as the Scrolls?"
Ed: The Choker stores limited magic; it's much closer to an amped-up ring of spell storing than the Nether Scrolls. It serves a similar purpose to the Scrolls, yes, but that's like saying a pogo stick serves the same purpose as a SST: both of them involve people travelling, BUT...they're hardly comparable, in terms of power/scope/capacity. Right now, origins and details of the Choker are NDA. If that makes you think there's an untold story here that someone has future plans for...you're right. :}

"EDIT: Another question, brought on by rereading Cloak And Dagger. It mentions that Boesild Aerasume (Alustriel's 8th son), alone of Alustriel's sons likes Khelben,'while the others barely tolerate the Blackstaff for their mothers' sake'. Can we have some more info on the relationship between Khelben and his nephews (by marriage)? For that matter, if it's not too much, what can Ed tell us about the family relationships among the Seven Sisters and their consorts/children? Were their ever any family feuds, why, and what was the result?"
Ed: Yes, there have been disagreements, large and small; some may well be termed "feuds" by some observers. Details, particularly of Khelben, are NDA right now, but I'll do some cross-checking and see what I can reveal...

So saith Ed. Who may not to be able to reveal all that much, given the widespread and seminal (ahem, I do mean the cleaner meaning here) nature of Khelben (one of Ed's root characters, remember), in the Realms...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  17:04:52  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

What's the farthest vision a diviner has ever seen? 1700's? 2000's? And who's the diviner?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  17:15:29  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, again, all. Here's my own brief followup to Damian:

Ed didn't say WHY Purple Dragons have to show "everything" to a King's Lord.
It's thanks to Vangerdahast, who established what we might call "scene of the crime" investigations.
Because non-War Wizards might not know the significance of something they find - - and no one might, until later - - Purple Dragons have to report (with a second Dragon as a witness, whenever possible) EXACTLY where they find everything, at the scene, and even draw diagrams if they can.

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  21:05:50  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
if its nothing of importance t o they give it to the adventurers who found it THO???

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  22:07:55  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all. More from Ed, this time in response to Menelvagor's post.
Menelvagor: "Another question on my favorite topic, inspired by Jakk's quotes regarding the Nether Scrolls. "the Nether Scrolls do store so much magical knowledge" - are the Nether Scrolls the only artifact to do this?"
Ed: No, they're not the only artifact that stores a lot of magic. Period, full stop, have you notice the recent spike in the price of potatoes? Lah dee dah... ;}

<chop>

Ed: Yes, there have been disagreements, large and small; some may well be termed "feuds" by some observers. Details, particularly of Khelben, are NDA right now, but I'll do some cross-checking and see what I can reveal...

So saith Ed. Who may not to be able to reveal all that much, given the widespread and seminal (ahem, I do mean the cleaner meaning here) nature of Khelben (one of Ed's root characters, remember), in the Realms...
love,
THO

Heh... to expand on Ed's first answer, the Imaskarcana come to mind... we still haven't had the *complete* set of them described, AFAIK.

[edit] And to return to Symrustar's Choker, might we see such a write-up as was hinted at, say within the calendar year? [/edit]

I'll confess to being puzzled that details of a deceased (and not likely to be resurrected, given the circumstances of his death) character are still NDA... but not as puzzled as I was even a month ago, given the recent announcement by WotC and the suggestion that it might mean more pre-Spellplague publications... particularly involving one ebony-staff-wielding "former" Lord of Waterdeep...

Oh, and Ed: Does your first digression above mean that we should be looking for a large spud on a spike as a powerful receptacle for magical energies? Or were you actually not hinting at anything there? Just thought I should check...

EDIT: Oh... hang on... you did specify "price"... never mind; my bad.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 22 Jan 2012 00:49:29
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2012 :  00:15:16  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
I think Ed teaser better than you
misses Hooded One. I think you
better prove me wrong!
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2012 :  00:26:45  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:

Hi, again, all. Here's my own brief followup to Damian:

Ed didn't say WHY Purple Dragons have to show "everything" to a King's Lord.
It's thanks to Vangerdahast, who established what we might call "scene of the crime" investigations.
Because non-War Wizards might not know the significance of something they find - - and no one might, until later - - Purple Dragons have to report (with a second Dragon as a witness, whenever possible) EXACTLY where they find everything, at the scene, and even draw diagrams if they can.

love,
THO

Thank you for the update Good Lady, have updated the all about Cormyr thread for all scribes to view

Best wishes

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2012 :  21:42:01  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Ah, my thanks to Ed and our Lady. Although they are still both horrible teases...

In any case, I definitely second Jakk's query about the timing of such a write-up. And I have my own questions to add, again on my favorite topic. The symbol of House Auglamyr is "a tri-headed gold dragon on a blood-red field". Is there a history behind this symbol? And do any members of the House still live in Faerun in the present (Year of the Ageless One)?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

ROMVS
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  07:50:08  Show Profile Send ROMVS a Private Message
Hi guys, I'm new here. I just posted this to Ed's facebook page but maybe this is the correct place to ask:

*spoiler alert*
Ed, sorry I've been looking for an explanation, but what happened to Maerjanthra Shalace (Joysil) and Vangerdahast? Vangey is now a wraith in Bury Elminster Deep but wasn't he and Maerjantha supposed to be in statis as dragons? And what happened to Maerjantha? I hope this is explained at a future time and not a disconnect.

What do you guys think? I'm sorry if this was already replied to but I can't seem to find the answer.

Edited by - ROMVS on 23 Jan 2012 07:51:10
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  08:15:19  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message
Hi Ed, THO and all,
My campaign takes place in 1324 DR and I'd like my PC to met (no yet King) Azoun IV during the time he was a Prince-adventurer.
Can Ed tell me more about that time ? This meeting has to be memorable !

Some details about this period would be very helpful to me.

Edited by - Marco Volo on 23 Jan 2012 08:47:37
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  00:28:49  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Ed, I have more questions regarding Elminster Must Die! and Bury Elminster Deep... spoiler tags used in what follows:
Who was the intended occupant of the artifact that Mirt was released from?
If NDA, will we find out in the next book or two... or three?

Thanks!

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

Aginor37
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  01:17:07  Show Profile  Visit Aginor37's Homepage Send Aginor37 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

Ed, I have more questions regarding Elminster Must Die! and Bury Elminster Deep... spoiler tags used in what follows:
Who was the intended occupant of the artifact that Mirt was released from?
If NDA, will we find out in the next book or two... or three?

Thanks!

quote:

I won't presume to speak for Ed, but it was my understanding from reading the book (will try to remain spoiler free) That said device was meant to function like all of the others, but either through an error during creation or through the whim of Mystra at the time of creation (I suspect the latter, her perhaps seeing a need for his presence in time to come) it was flawed in a manner that resulted in how things turned out when said device was used.

I could be completely wrong, but that is the impression I got from reading the book, given his explanation of how he perceived the experience surrounding said event.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  09:20:34  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Thanks, Aginor; that was my impression, too (that it was the will of Mystra), so hopefully we're both on the right track.

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  09:36:24  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
Hey there, lady THO, Ed and fellow scribes. Talking about those magic storers, I was reading Mrs. Cunningham's 'Evermeet: Island of the Elves' and stumbled upon the accumulator. It is only a sort of spell-storing device, way lesser than the Nether Scrolls and other artifacts, right? Was it created by Ed? After all, Elaine's novel was released after - and based on - the Realms' accessory 'Elves of Evermeet'.

PS: I don't know how this Symrustar's Choker works, where is it described?

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  12:46:00  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Ah, a call to arms!

Barastir, Symrustar's Choker was created by Symrustar Auglamyr. The full details about Symrustar are in Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves (which can be downloaded for free from the Wizards website, though I can't find the link currently). A bit more on her (with a few differences) was in The Fall of Myth Drannor, along with most of the info on the Choker. Here's the most relevant part from Fall of Myth Drannor: "The choker has 36 spells in "memory", and Symrustar can study the spells within the choker while in an extended reverie period (acts as both sleep and study phases as per normal spell restoration). The choker contains four spells from each spell level. The choker also contains two unique spells that cannot be physically recorded into a spellbook, and thus are known only to the wearer of the choker."

The two spells unique to the Choker are Mystra's Miasma (9th level abjuration, evocation, known in later versions simply as Miasma), and more importantly (and the subject of quite a few questions from me) Symrustar's Spellbinding (9th level alteration, divination). Symrustar's Spellbinding is particularly fascinating, since with the disappearance of Symrustar and The Simbul, Elminster may be the only one in existence who knows the spell.

EDIT: That reminds me! Another question related to Symrustar Auglamyr:
Why do Elves value blue hair so much? I've read (don't remember where) that it's considered the most valued/classic hair for elves, kind of like how blonde was (is?) for us. Am I remembering correctly? If so, why? Is it just some arbitrary judgement of beauty? Or is it some indicator of royalty or magical power?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

Edited by - Menelvagor on 24 Jan 2012 16:24:33
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  13:24:24  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
Thank you very much, Menelvagor. I do have downloaded "Cormanthyr", will check it out as soon as I can. Besides, let's wait for Ed's response about the accumulator, but it seems that they are artifacts of different natures.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  17:03:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
@ROMVS: "The best laid plans of mice & men...."

Query:
A random thought just struck me - was Myrkul a lich before ascending to godhood, or just a necromancer? A fascinating theory popped into my head about the CoT.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  19:02:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Query:
A random thought just struck me - was Myrkul a lich before ascending to godhood, or just a necromancer? A fascinating theory popped into my head about the CoT.

He's been described as a necromancer.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  23:05:16  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:

Query:

Please, do share your thory. Not in Ed's scroll, of course, but I'm very interested...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2012 :  00:24:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Query:

The "Knucklebones, Skull Bowling, and the Empty Throne" sub-section in Bane's entry of Faiths and Avatars notes that mortal Myrkul was a necromancer.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2012 :  13:18:13  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Now on a new track, though obviously still connected to Symrustar:
Is there any known information (that is not NDA'd) about the Baneblades of Demron after the Spellplague, preferably circa 1479 DR? Is the location and wielder of any of them besides Keryvian (which I assume is still wielded by Fflar in Myth Drannor) known? Also, is anything at all known about The Arcstaff of Khavoerm?
This all started bothering me in Elminster Must Die, where Elminster is searching so desperately for artifacts when there are so many immensely powerful artifacts no one knows about, and Elminster should know. So, for that matter, if there are any powerful artifacts (especially from Myth Drannor) that Ed can tell us about, especially in the 'present', that would be a boon.

Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2012 :  14:54:44  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message
I think a WotC web article said that the Arcstaff of Khavoerm was, as of 1370 DR or so, locked up in a time-stasis field somewhere in Myth Drannor. There was nothing about who put it there or why.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000