Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2012)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 66

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2012 :  09:43:13  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Tantum All

Ed there has been a lot of chat in the OSR blogs recently about level and class limits on demi-humans from earlier editions of the game. As a very prolific game designer and publisher for 30 years+ I would be interested to know what you think/thought of the way demi-humans PC were handled in 0E/1E etc to balance them against human PC by limiting choice?

As an aside and as a DM, how did the home game handle demi-human advancement? In my game the rules were set in stone regarding PC limits and classes at the start of character creation, but through gameplay one or two rules got blurred due to outstanding play.

As ever am just curious about the roots of the game and how folks house-ruled in their own campaigns.

Kind regards

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13381 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2012 :  16:35:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Folks, it's too early for me or anyone else to say anything really definite about the future D&DŽ game rules, because they ARE in development - - and the input of gamers like you and me is being sought, and really will have an effect on them! Playtests are being arranged, and the design process begins . . .
With that said, I am really excited by what various Wizards staffers have said to me thus far <snip>
BOTH of them?

Sorry You just set me up for that one.

Apologies all around.

I'm sure with MtG they have more then 2 employees.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Jan 2012 16:38:25
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2012 :  16:39:18  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message
Hi once again Ed and THO,

A week or so ago I asked for information concerning the Circle of Flames order in Myth Drannor. I'd like to add a further question.

Can Ed share with us any details concerning the mages that Vangerdahast defeated from 1306 to 1308 DR in his reordering of Cormyr's War Wizards. A few names and tidbits of lore would be great. Is there any chance any of them had secret holdings as yet undiscovered (and can we have the details of such places?).

The Candlekeep scribes and in particular Garen Thral have helped me establish there's little existing information concerning this time, but also that the details might well be locked inside an NDA. However, there's no harm in asking.

My adventure's plot goes something like this; Those wizards of the Circle of Flames who escaped Myth Drannor to Cormyr took with them some of the magical secrets of the City of Song. When the wizards started training the nascent War Wizards, these secrets were passed down to them only to disappear in Salember's reign.

Following Azoun's death, Vangerdahast 'retires' but is seeking powerful magic to defend the Forest Kingdom. Through intermediaries, he hires the PCs to investigate sites which may have been the hideouts of traitors slain back in '08. In such a holding, the PCs stumble upon some of the secrets of the Circle, clues of powerful magic that remains in their ruined headquarters in Myth Drannor. Such is the potential of this magic Vangey is prepared to risk alienating Cormyr's relationship with the retaken realm by sending the PCs to steal the magic from under the elves' noses. As PCs are a neutral party, Cormyr has maximum deniability should anything go wrong.

Sorry that's probably far more plot than anyone wanted or needed.

Anyways, any help appreciated,

Cheers!
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2012 :  18:08:45  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Ed, what is the fastest land animal in 1370's, what was fastest land animal ever? Same for flight and sea if possible and what drove them to extinction if extinct?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2012 :  18:48:17  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Are there any forms of magic, other than divine and the elven High Magic, that can revert an undead back to its "live" self?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
6164 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2012 :  20:34:19  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
Dennis, off the top of my head: wish is an arcane spell, reincarnation has an arcane spell equivalent, there is the arcane lifewater of the Bedine witches who dwell in the Anauroch, an alchemist can brew an elixir from powdered philosopher's stone (found in the DMG), there is a medicinal herb in the Moonsea region which can cure those who have recently "died" from vampirism, exposure to the Positive Energy Plane or any of the proximate conduits leading to it will either restore living force or blow undead up, and one can always gamble with journeys through the Demiplane of Time (Temporal Prime) in the hopes of being "set back" to a subjective condition which predates the onset of undeath.

Eat lots of garlic - it keeps the elves and vampires away.
Don't stick your sword into dragons, you just don't know where they've been.
Avoid stepping on halflings. They stick to your boots, will smell awful, and are impossible to scrape off.
Ah, of course. Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.
[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2012 :  03:03:15  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
Another query for my pile o' questions for the Ol' Bearded One named Ed...

We were discussing Alamanther of Aglarond in the "Greatest Spell" scroll the other day, whereupon I mentioned my particular interest in this wizard.

We know a little from the Seven Sisters tome, but I'm wondering whether there might be something else you can share about Alamanther, his once-consort-relationship with the Simbul, and/or his history of spellturning research?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4768 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2012 :  05:57:45  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Sage, you're getting old. Ed's already given us lots of information on Alamanther, some of which I incorporated into my "Mantles" article.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2012 :  06:13:35  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Sage, you're getting old. Ed's already given us lots of information on Alamanther, some of which I incorporated into my "Mantles" article.

-- George Krashos

That's probably where my interest originated. Silly old sage!

Thanks George.

Consider my original question withdrawn Ed, unless you feel there's anything more you'd like to add that we don't already know.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
13381 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2012 :  01:25:14  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I wanted to ask the first 5e question, but I realize that anything Ed might know will most certainly be NDA.

Which gave me an idea for a question anyway:

Ed, did you know 5e was coming (not the 'we all new it would be coming eventually' answer), and if so, how long have you known (if you can answer that). I've noted a somewhat positive 'upswing' in some of THO's tantalizing comments regarding 'secrets' and 'projects' - is this why? Are you currently feeling more positive about things since hearing of the change in direction?

I ask this because the last time around, I got more of a "lets all hunker-down and weather the storm" vibe from you. It would be encouraging (for us all) to know you were very excited by the prospect.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 15 Jan 2012 01:25:33
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2012 :  03:06:49  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Markustay, here's a reply from Ed:

Hi, Markustay. Out of NDAs and professional courtesy I can say almost nothing "meaty and definite" in response to you, but I will say I was and am "very excited by the prospect." (Inclusion of that "was" should tell you something.)
I have been shown and/or been consulted on some things in advance, such as the forthcoming LORDS OF WATERDEEP board game (which I am going to rush right out and buy several copies of, for my family and to give away as gifts - - and which, if it sells, I can foresee some expansion products being added to, by Wizards, in time to come). I am very excited by things I'm frantically working on right now (one of which is very close to being announced), AND things I'm involved with that we'll all be seeing later.
All of which is enhanced by the bright, friendly WotC staffers I have the privilege of meeting and working with - - and the great freelance work (like the current Cormyr lore unfolding in the DDI magazines).
Color me happy, happy, happy. :}
There is all sorts of "new love for the Realms" that I can't reveal ahead, some of it soon ahead (or at least that you'll all learn more about, soon).
We all know that pleasing a randomly-assembled dozen Realms fans is hard, perhaps impossible, so not everyone will love everything they see ahead - - but they WILL have shiny things to see, use, demand more of, and kvetch about.
And a lot of it, I'm nigh-delirious about. Old hands and new, old times and new - - and hopefully we'll be creating new favorites to go on your shelf beside old favorites (and I know you personally lost all your old ones to the flames, and I hope we'll be doing something to make them easily available to you again, though I don't know any details of just how yet).
So yes, I'm pumped. I hung on and hung on and I know a lot of scribes and other Realms fans did, too . . . and I can now see bright light ahead.
Makes me want to snatch down a sword and go running around the estate whooping and swinging it. If it wasn't so darned cold and there wasn't so much snow and I didn't have so much to WRITE, I do it, too! But I've got so much Realmsian to get done or help with, now and in the months ahead . . .

Heh. There you go, Markustay and everyone. Nothing meaty or definite at all, but bouncing excitement to spare.
Wheeeeeeee, and so forth.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1356 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2012 :  05:36:32  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Wizards should make a video with Ed running around his estate with sword in hand, whooping and swinging as part of the 5E launch. If Ed is stoked about 5E, it must be a good thing for the future of the Realms. :)
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
6164 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2012 :  05:44:52  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
He'd probably trip and fall on his own sword after losing his footing on a jumbled pile of loose papers.

Avoid stepping on halflings. They stick to your boots, will smell awful, and are impossible to scrape off.
[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2012 :  12:56:26  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Hello Ed and THO

A question about Cormyr if I may based on an event from last nights game.

What are the rules on dividing loot between the Kings Local Lord and the Purple Dragon troops if they uncover a bandit/smuggling ring and break it up, kill the bandits and end up with loot (weapons, armour, money, horses, wagons, trade goods etc).

Do the rules change if the loot found is magical? (i.e. the bandit leader has a +1 sword).

Also is there a difference between how spoils might be divided in a major town like Wheloon and an up county village on the edge of the Hullack?

And lastly the crux of the issue, if an adventuring group have been paid by the Local Kings Lord to support the Purple Dragons in dealing with said bandits do they get a share of any loot or as they have already been paid do they get nowt?

Thanks

Damain
who's players took the loss of the 'original' loot well last night and found their own share later when they snuck back to the bandit camp without the troop in tow

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
13381 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2012 :  20:57:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Okay.

That response alone made it worth the past three years of "weathering the storm", as it were (an edition war I took no small part in, to my shame).

And don't pity my situation, Ed. I'm optimist, believe it or not. Its like The Rolling Stones said -

"You can't always get what you want, and if you try sometime
you find, You get what you need."

And at the risk of sounding maudlin, I truly believe "God has a plan for all of us". 'For every season' yadda yadda yadda... you get the idea.

For instance, I had very little disposable income, and now I need to re-buy all my game stuff AND have the money to do so. Could this have happened at a more opportune time? I think not (judging by whats being said, and also by whats not being said).

"The unknowable mysteries of the cosmos" are not relegated to D&D alone.

Cheers ---- Mark

Edited by - Markustay on 15 Jan 2012 20:58:43
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Learned Scribe

254 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2012 :  10:00:39  Show Profile  Visit Eldacar's Homepage  Click to see Eldacar's MSN Messenger address Send Eldacar a Private Message
I have a few questions regarding the Border Kingdoms and nation-building, which sort of plays off (well, it's in the general vein of inquiry, anyway...) a few replies Ed gave some years back regarding the acquiring of nobility in Waterdeep or gaining power within the Cormyrean court.

What is the closest that any individual has come to actually uniting the Border Kingdoms into one large "federation" under a single ruler? (Either in terms of outright conquest, or through clever manipulation of diplomatic treaties between the ruling lords of the day.) Or has it never come close to being done, simply because of difficulty? Is it outright impossible?

And for a group of (high-level) adventurers who might be feeling a need to build themselves a kingdom that will last beyond their deaths (as in, something that won't fall apart as soon as they're not around to hold it together), knowing undoubtedly what you do about the Border Kingdoms, how would you require that they go about their task? What resources would you recommend they acquire? Is there a particular area of the Border Kingdoms where it would be a good idea to start? (I notice Adaerglast, for example, is a rich land, hence it being brought under the control of the two mages in the Border Kingdoms article on the Wizards website - starting from a well-supplied and rich position would seem to be a wise decision.)

What outside nations might take issue with the Border Kingdoms actually being united? Cormyr and Halruaa interfered with the Adaerglast expansion under Iraun and Srivven, but was that actually because of the expansion itself (and so they sought to nullify a potential new power in the region), or because they didn't think that those two would make for very good "neighbours"? If the individual (or group of individuals) attempting to go through with this "unification" was a noble from Cormyr, how would that alter the perception of neighbouring nations?

"It always ends. That's what gives it value." ~Death of the Endless
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2012 :  13:01:01  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Which do you consider worse in fiction? Dying a senseless death? Or dying a glorious death only to be resurrected without sense?

Go to Top of Page

dansonata
Acolyte

Brazil
10 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2012 :  15:35:00  Show Profile Send dansonata a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,
Couldn't find the answer anywhere. Registered here as a last resource to get it!

Where can I find more about the Order of the Shooting Star?
This seem to be a very interesting group, but all I can find is:

"The Church of Mystra sponsored an order of rangers, known as the Order of the Shooting Star. These rangers received spells from Mystra and served as long-range scouts and spies for the church, also dealing with magical threats that imposed upon the natural order of things, such as unloosed tanar'ri and baatezu as well as creatures born of irresponsible wizardly experimentation."

Thanks a lot.

"So fate might make a man a farmer, but the farmer chose what crops to plant. Fate might make a man a soldier, but the soldier chose which battles to fight. Fate may have made him a killer, but he would decide if, who, why, and when he killed."
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
6164 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2012 :  15:48:20  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
Dennis, that seems to be a variation of the classic question put forth in philosphy. Should an individual prefer die anonymous and forgotten, or to be reviled forever for immoral deeds of monstrous villainy?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2012 :  16:14:58  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Dennis, that seems to be a variation of the classic question put forth in philosphy. Should an individual prefer die anonymous and forgotten, or to be reviled forever for immoral deeds of monstrous villainy?

Sort of. I am no fan of resurrection. But I sometimes give allowances, especially if the causes are somewhat reasonable and tolerable.

Edited by - Dennis on 17 Jan 2012 16:39:59
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
724 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2012 :  16:19:28  Show Profile  Click to see Thelonius's MSN Messenger address Send Thelonius a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Which do you consider worse in fiction? Dying a senseless death? Or dying a glorious death only to be resurrected without sense?

That makes me think in something Spike said in Angel's 5th season. He complained about dying heroicly in the end of Buffy The Vampire Slayer , just to be resurrected again sensessly. Though I find this fact being annoying, I rather prefer see a senseless resurrecvtion than a senseless death, at least if it is a worthy char, of course.

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Learned Scribe

224 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2012 :  00:59:00  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message
Nice to see you all again, especially the Hooded Lady. I return from a long absence with a question that I think only Ed might have the answer to.

What does the Melairkyn's clan rune look like? I've have already checked Dwarves Deep for such a symbol but I sadly did not find it. If I had to guess maybe an adamantine crown?

Many thanks.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2012 :  02:54:37  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Well met, all! I, too, return to these halls from a long absence... mostly due to Golarion and my other DM's homebrew campaign. What drew me back was my recent reading of Bury Elminster Deep; certain events and reappearing entities in that novel caused me to wonder if a new edition was in the works. I just learned today of WotC's decision to "plead the Fifth" (as it were; I thought the metaphor apropos, despite being as Canadian as Ed), and from what I read, it seems as if the new Realms will be time-period neutral... I'm fascinated by the prospect, and intrigued as to how it will be managed, particularly in terms of release of new product. Does this mean we'll finally see some older NDA lore (like, oh, the Cormyr Lineage, to flog a dead and by-now-skeletonized horse) see the light of day?

I'm almost as excited as Ed about the new announcement, although I am curious as to how the "time-period-neutral" element will be handled, and how this will affect product releases for the Realms, both fiction and game supplements. My preference, of course, is to see the setting rebooted to the campaign adventure trilogy Cormyr-Shadowdale-Anauroch and something that actually allows the PCs to affect what happens (which was, ostensibly, the goal of the 4E Realms in the first place, but I won't flog the dead horse of that particular hippocrisy; misspelling and pun fully intended). In any case, it's good to be back, and I expect to be sticking around for a while now. And no, I haven't searched the past year's scroll for news on my above-asked question yet; I was too excited to do things in a logical order, which isn't among my strengths in any case.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 18 Jan 2012 02:56:16
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1944 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2012 :  05:32:16  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message
Forgive me for cluttering up this scroll. Gelcur you sig is hilarious. Is that an in-game quote?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2012 :  07:14:28  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Okay, so (four hours later) I'm caught up on the past year, and I have another question, regarding one of Dennis's earlier questions (Elminster's biggest mistake): Will we see this long-maturing NDA resolved by the end of the present string of Elminster novels? Please?

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 18 Jan 2012 07:15:15
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 66 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000