Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2012)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 66

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5036 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  17:15:29  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, again, all. Here's my own brief followup to Damian:

Ed didn't say WHY Purple Dragons have to show "everything" to a King's Lord.
It's thanks to Vangerdahast, who established what we might call "scene of the crime" investigations.
Because non-War Wizards might not know the significance of something they find - - and no one might, until later - - Purple Dragons have to report (with a second Dragon as a witness, whenever possible) EXACTLY where they find everything, at the scene, and even draw diagrams if they can.

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Master of Realmslore

1964 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  21:05:50  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
if its nothing of importance t o they give it to the adventurers who found it THO???

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  22:07:55  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all. More from Ed, this time in response to Menelvagor's post.
Menelvagor: "Another question on my favorite topic, inspired by Jakk's quotes regarding the Nether Scrolls. "the Nether Scrolls do store so much magical knowledge" - are the Nether Scrolls the only artifact to do this?"
Ed: No, they're not the only artifact that stores a lot of magic. Period, full stop, have you notice the recent spike in the price of potatoes? Lah dee dah... ;}

<chop>

Ed: Yes, there have been disagreements, large and small; some may well be termed "feuds" by some observers. Details, particularly of Khelben, are NDA right now, but I'll do some cross-checking and see what I can reveal...

So saith Ed. Who may not to be able to reveal all that much, given the widespread and seminal (ahem, I do mean the cleaner meaning here) nature of Khelben (one of Ed's root characters, remember), in the Realms...
love,
THO

Heh... to expand on Ed's first answer, the Imaskarcana come to mind... we still haven't had the *complete* set of them described, AFAIK.

[edit] And to return to Symrustar's Choker, might we see such a write-up as was hinted at, say within the calendar year? [/edit]

I'll confess to being puzzled that details of a deceased (and not likely to be resurrected, given the circumstances of his death) character are still NDA... but not as puzzled as I was even a month ago, given the recent announcement by WotC and the suggestion that it might mean more pre-Spellplague publications... particularly involving one ebony-staff-wielding "former" Lord of Waterdeep...

Oh, and Ed: Does your first digression above mean that we should be looking for a large spud on a spike as a powerful receptacle for magical energies? Or were you actually not hinting at anything there? Just thought I should check...

EDIT: Oh... hang on... you did specify "price"... never mind; my bad.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 22 Jan 2012 00:49:29
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
777 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2012 :  00:15:16  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
I think Ed teaser better than you
misses Hooded One. I think you
better prove me wrong!
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2012 :  00:26:45  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:

Hi, again, all. Here's my own brief followup to Damian:

Ed didn't say WHY Purple Dragons have to show "everything" to a King's Lord.
It's thanks to Vangerdahast, who established what we might call "scene of the crime" investigations.
Because non-War Wizards might not know the significance of something they find - - and no one might, until later - - Purple Dragons have to report (with a second Dragon as a witness, whenever possible) EXACTLY where they find everything, at the scene, and even draw diagrams if they can.

love,
THO

Thank you for the update Good Lady, have updated the all about Cormyr thread for all scribes to view

Best wishes

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2012 :  21:42:01  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Ah, my thanks to Ed and our Lady. Although they are still both horrible teases...

In any case, I definitely second Jakk's query about the timing of such a write-up. And I have my own questions to add, again on my favorite topic. The symbol of House Auglamyr is "a tri-headed gold dragon on a blood-red field". Is there a history behind this symbol? And do any members of the House still live in Faerun in the present (Year of the Ageless One)?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

ROMVS
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  07:50:08  Show Profile Send ROMVS a Private Message
Hi guys, I'm new here. I just posted this to Ed's facebook page but maybe this is the correct place to ask:

*spoiler alert*
Ed, sorry I've been looking for an explanation, but what happened to Maerjanthra Shalace (Joysil) and Vangerdahast? Vangey is now a wraith in Bury Elminster Deep but wasn't he and Maerjantha supposed to be in statis as dragons? And what happened to Maerjantha? I hope this is explained at a future time and not a disconnect.

What do you guys think? I'm sorry if this was already replied to but I can't seem to find the answer.

Edited by - ROMVS on 23 Jan 2012 07:51:10
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
166 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  08:15:19  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message
Hi Ed, THO and all,
My campaign takes place in 1324 DR and I'd like my PC to met (no yet King) Azoun IV during the time he was a Prince-adventurer.
Can Ed tell me more about that time ? This meeting has to be memorable !

Some details about this period would be very helpful to me.

Edited by - Marco Volo on 23 Jan 2012 08:47:37
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  00:28:49  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Ed, I have more questions regarding Elminster Must Die! and Bury Elminster Deep... spoiler tags used in what follows:
Who was the intended occupant of the artifact that Mirt was released from?
If NDA, will we find out in the next book or two... or three?

Thanks!

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

Aginor37
Seeker

20 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  01:17:07  Show Profile  Visit Aginor37's Homepage Send Aginor37 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

Ed, I have more questions regarding Elminster Must Die! and Bury Elminster Deep... spoiler tags used in what follows:
Who was the intended occupant of the artifact that Mirt was released from?
If NDA, will we find out in the next book or two... or three?

Thanks!

quote:

I won't presume to speak for Ed, but it was my understanding from reading the book (will try to remain spoiler free) That said device was meant to function like all of the others, but either through an error during creation or through the whim of Mystra at the time of creation (I suspect the latter, her perhaps seeing a need for his presence in time to come) it was flawed in a manner that resulted in how things turned out when said device was used.

I could be completely wrong, but that is the impression I got from reading the book, given his explanation of how he perceived the experience surrounding said event.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  09:20:34  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Thanks, Aginor; that was my impression, too (that it was the will of Mystra), so hopefully we're both on the right track.

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1393 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  09:36:24  Show Profile  Click to see Barastir's MSN Messenger address Send Barastir a Private Message
Hey there, lady THO, Ed and fellow scribes. Talking about those magic storers, I was reading Mrs. Cunningham's 'Evermeet: Island of the Elves' and stumbled upon the accumulator. It is only a sort of spell-storing device, way lesser than the Nether Scrolls and other artifacts, right? Was it created by Ed? After all, Elaine's novel was released after - and based on - the Realms' accessory 'Elves of Evermeet'.

PS: I don't know how this Symrustar's Choker works, where is it described?

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  12:46:00  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Ah, a call to arms!

Barastir, Symrustar's Choker was created by Symrustar Auglamyr. The full details about Symrustar are in Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves (which can be downloaded for free from the Wizards website, though I can't find the link currently). A bit more on her (with a few differences) was in The Fall of Myth Drannor, along with most of the info on the Choker. Here's the most relevant part from Fall of Myth Drannor: "The choker has 36 spells in "memory", and Symrustar can study the spells within the choker while in an extended reverie period (acts as both sleep and study phases as per normal spell restoration). The choker contains four spells from each spell level. The choker also contains two unique spells that cannot be physically recorded into a spellbook, and thus are known only to the wearer of the choker."

The two spells unique to the Choker are Mystra's Miasma (9th level abjuration, evocation, known in later versions simply as Miasma), and more importantly (and the subject of quite a few questions from me) Symrustar's Spellbinding (9th level alteration, divination). Symrustar's Spellbinding is particularly fascinating, since with the disappearance of Symrustar and The Simbul, Elminster may be the only one in existence who knows the spell.

EDIT: That reminds me! Another question related to Symrustar Auglamyr:
Why do Elves value blue hair so much? I've read (don't remember where) that it's considered the most valued/classic hair for elves, kind of like how blonde was (is?) for us. Am I remembering correctly? If so, why? Is it just some arbitrary judgement of beauty? Or is it some indicator of royalty or magical power?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

Edited by - Menelvagor on 24 Jan 2012 16:24:33
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1393 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  13:24:24  Show Profile  Click to see Barastir's MSN Messenger address Send Barastir a Private Message
Thank you very much, Menelvagor. I do have downloaded "Cormanthyr", will check it out as soon as I can. Besides, let's wait for Ed's response about the accumulator, but it seems that they are artifacts of different natures.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13284 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  17:03:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
@ROMVS: "The best laid plans of mice & men...."

Query:
A random thought just struck me - was Myrkul a lich before ascending to godhood, or just a necromancer? A fascinating theory popped into my head about the CoT.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29730 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  19:02:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Query:
A random thought just struck me - was Myrkul a lich before ascending to godhood, or just a necromancer? A fascinating theory popped into my head about the CoT.

He's been described as a necromancer.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  23:05:16  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:

Query:

Please, do share your thory. Not in Ed's scroll, of course, but I'm very interested...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2012 :  00:24:50  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Query:

The "Knucklebones, Skull Bowling, and the Empty Throne" sub-section in Bane's entry of Faiths and Avatars notes that mortal Myrkul was a necromancer.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2012 :  13:18:13  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Now on a new track, though obviously still connected to Symrustar:
Is there any known information (that is not NDA'd) about the Baneblades of Demron after the Spellplague, preferably circa 1479 DR? Is the location and wielder of any of them besides Keryvian (which I assume is still wielded by Fflar in Myth Drannor) known? Also, is anything at all known about The Arcstaff of Khavoerm?
This all started bothering me in Elminster Must Die, where Elminster is searching so desperately for artifacts when there are so many immensely powerful artifacts no one knows about, and Elminster should know. So, for that matter, if there are any powerful artifacts (especially from Myth Drannor) that Ed can tell us about, especially in the 'present', that would be a boon.

Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Learned Scribe

254 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2012 :  14:54:44  Show Profile  Visit Eldacar's Homepage  Click to see Eldacar's MSN Messenger address Send Eldacar a Private Message
I think a WotC web article said that the Arcstaff of Khavoerm was, as of 1370 DR or so, locked up in a time-stasis field somewhere in Myth Drannor. There was nothing about who put it there or why.

"It always ends. That's what gives it value." ~Death of the Endless
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2012 :  19:22:53  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

Now on a new track, though obviously still connected to Symrustar:
Is there any known information (that is not NDA'd) about the Baneblades of Demron after the Spellplague, preferably circa 1479 DR? Is the location and wielder of any of them besides Keryvian (which I assume is still wielded by Fflar in Myth Drannor) known? Also, is anything at all known about The Arcstaff of Khavoerm?
This all started bothering me in Elminster Must Die, where Elminster is searching so desperately for artifacts when there are so many immensely powerful artifacts no one knows about, and Elminster should know. So, for that matter, if there are any powerful artifacts (especially from Myth Drannor) that Ed can tell us about, especially in the 'present', that would be a boon.

I will pop in, asking about the Baneblades circa 1372 DR. I know where Warblade was (Maerimydra), but not the others.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2012 :  20:10:24  Show Profile  Send Rhewtani an AOL message Send Rhewtani a Private Message
Where did the godless Imaskari go when they died?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29730 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2012 :  21:26:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rhewtani

Where did the godless Imaskari go when they died?

Wal-Mart.

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13284 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2012 :  22:37:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Nice!

I think 'The Wall' grew three sizes that day.

quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

quote:

Query:

Please, do share your theory. Not in Ed's scroll, of course, but I'm very interested...

It still works. I was thinking the Crown of Horns was his phylactory. Even if he wasn't a lich when he ascended (and a lich could still be a necromancer), he could have prepared it before time, in-case whatever he was planning (the 'forced' ascension of the Dark Three) backfired and he wound up dead. Consider - it was a crown, and he was a prince in life, so he probably had some connection to it before his ascension, and thats how his mortal essence wound up in it after his fall.

In fact, thats an insidious way of insuring you wind-up at least a vestige, if you get destroyed as a god. He may not have even been the first to do so (which could be how it is possible to have 'undead' gods and fiends).

Question:
Is the lore surrounding 'The Dark Three' all Ed's, or has it been added to by others over years? Does Ed know more of the story himself, or was it one of those things he left open?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2012 :  23:53:03  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:

All of which is enhanced by the bright, friendly WotC staffers I have the privilege of meeting and working with - - and the great freelance work (like the current Cormyr lore unfolding in the DDI magazines).

Said lore finally convinced me to subscribe, at least for a month. As for beyond that, we'll see if they can hold "Cormyr Month" over for another month and give us the Lineage... although that's far from the only thing that would keep me subscribed, at this point.
quote:

There is all sorts of "new love for the Realms" that I can't reveal ahead, some of it soon ahead (or at least that you'll all learn more about, soon).
We all know that pleasing a randomly-assembled dozen Realms fans is hard, perhaps impossible, so not everyone will love everything they see ahead - - but they WILL have shiny things to see, use, demand more of, and kvetch about.

This news pleases this Realms fan in and of itself... but I'm looking forward to more details, all the same.
quote:

And a lot of it, I'm nigh-delirious about. Old hands and new, old times and new - - and hopefully we'll be creating new favorites to go on your shelf beside old favorites (and I know you personally lost all your old ones to the flames, and I hope we'll be doing something to make them easily available to you again, though I don't know any details of just how yet).

"...old times and new..." - so we can take the open-timeline rumours as fact, then?
"...easily available..." - hopefully bringing back the PDFs in some way?
quote:

So yes, I'm pumped. I hung on and hung on and I know a lot of scribes and other Realms fans did, too . . . and I can now see bright light ahead.

For that, Ed, I thank you. Not just for the Realms; that's been done many times in these scrolls. Thank you for hanging on to the ship and keeping it afloat through some rough waters.

I hope we won't have to wait too much longer to learn more about what's coming along with that bright light; all we have now is a sourcebook title for Q4 2012, but that's intriguing in itself... by way of a question, is there anything more you can say about that one at this early date? From the title, it sounds like a "final book of the edition" work in a similar vein to the Grand History, but I'm reluctant to speculate further... at least for now.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 66 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000