Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2012)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  19:49:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
A postscript to the above: over time, Glarasteer Rhauligan rose steadily in daily influence within the Highknights, but he was always a James Bond-like maverick (more whimsical/jolly than the grim Bond ever was, mind you). In other words, he liked to break and ingore rules, and thus was respected for his results, but not as a team player.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  20:04:30  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Ha! You tease me! This is so brilliantly awesome. You guys rock. Looking forward to what may come to us in time. Guaranteed to be used in my game in one form or another.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 05 Jun 2012 20:07:25
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2012 :  03:01:10  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message
I am afraid that this question comes in parts, with some prerequisites conditions. I am not sure how much you were responsible for a text entitled “the Magic of Mantles” I am assuming that you had some hand in it, but admit this assumption could be very wrong. Working under the conditions that I am right, there are a few statements that interest me. The first is that it is mentioned that

“In the Year of the Broken Lands (191 DR), the arcanist Eltraggar, Mage Royal of Hlondath collected the spell lore of mantles into a single libram of inestimable worth titled Mhaelosian Mantles. This tome of Art was said to describe in exacting detail the nature and function of spell mantles and provide the means and understanding to allow epic spellcasters to create one or more of these legendary spell fields for which the arcanists of Netheril were so famous.”

Skipping some very interesting history, it states that

“"The book’s current location remains a mystery and it is well-known that the Simbul is driven to recover this trove of Netherese spell lore, no matter the cost. Those who handle the tome or learn of its whereabouts should expect a visit from this most volatile of the Chosen of Mystra."”

Now with all that said, exactly how far would the Symbol go to recover such an item? And just how volatile is she?

I know of her destructive power through Elmenster in Hell, but unfortunately that gives me little guidance in how she interacts with the more common folk. Any information towards these questions would be much appreciated, respectfully, Sightless. I am afraid that this question comes in parts, with some prerequisites conditions(this has been edited do to new information).

While George Krashos is the one responsible for the creation of the work on “the Magic of Mantles”” , the person I am most interested here is one of your creations,at least I think she is. I find I am often wrong as I am right, forgive the length.

From the work by Krashos we have the following:

““In the Year of the Broken Lands (191 DR), the arcanist Eltraggar, Mage Royal of Hlondath collected the spell lore of mantles into a single libram of inestimable worth titled Mhaelosian Mantles. This tome of Art was said to describe in exacting detail the nature and function of spell mantles and provide the means and understanding to allow epic spellcasters to create one or more of these legendary spell fields for which the arcanists of Netheril were so famous.”

“The book’s current location remains a mystery and it is well-known that the Simbul is driven to recover this trove of Netherese spell lore, no matter the cost. Those who handle the tome or learn of its whereabouts should expect a visit from this most volatile of the Chosen of Mystra."”

Now with all that said, exactly how far would the Symbol go to recover such an item? And just how volatile is she?

In other words, I am trying to assertain elements of the Symbols personality and how she might react given to a certain situation. I know of her destructive power through Elmenster in Hell, but unfortunately that gives me little guidance in how she interacts with the more common folk. Any information towards these questions would be much appreciated, respectfully, Sightless.

P.S. My thanks to The Sage & Therise for catching my error.

We choose to live a lie, when we see with, & not through the eye.

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.

Edited by - Sightless on 06 Jun 2012 15:11:17
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2012 :  03:27:04  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sightless

I am afraid that this question comes in parts, with some prerequisites conditions. I am not sure how much you were responsible for a text entitled “the Magic of Mantles” I am assuming that you had some hand in it, but admit this assumption could be very wrong. Working under the conditions that I am right, there are a few statements that interest me. The first is that it is mentioned that

“In the Year of the Broken Lands (191 DR), the arcanist Eltraggar, Mage Royal of Hlondath collected the spell lore of mantles into a single libram of inestimable worth titled Mhaelosian Mantles. This tome of Art was said to describe in exacting detail the nature and function of spell mantles and provide the means and understanding to allow epic spellcasters to create one or more of these legendary spell fields for which the arcanists of Netheril were so famous.”

“"The book’s current location remains a mystery and it is well-known that the Simbul is driven to recover this trove of Netherese spell lore, no matter the cost. Those who handle the tome or learn of its whereabouts should expect a visit from this most volatile of the Chosen of Mystra."”

I know of her destructive power through Elmenster in Hell, but unfortunately that gives me little guidance in how she interacts with the more common folk. Any information towards these questions would be much appreciated, respectfully, Sightless.

I could be wrong, but I think George Krashos wrote this.

Maybe he, or another scribe here can verify.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2012 :  04:08:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

quote:
Originally posted by Sightless

I know of her destructive power through Elmenster in Hell, but unfortunately that gives me little guidance in how she interacts with the more common folk. Any information towards these questions would be much appreciated, respectfully, Sightless.

I could be wrong, but I think George Krashos wrote this.

Maybe he, or another scribe here can verify.

It was indeed Krash, as interested scribes can learn here, back on 4 November 2008.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2012 :  06:00:42  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message
Dear Ed, do most if not all mages travel the planes? With access to gate and plane shifts spells they could just scry and choose to travel elsewhere! What i am getting at is why the need to stay in the Realms permanently? Even powerful wizard liches could set up shop elsewhere where no one practices the Art.

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2012 :  10:50:12  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Xar Zarath
What i am getting at is why the need to stay in the Realms permanently? Even powerful wizard liches could set up shop elsewhere where no one practices the Art.

Basic assumption: people feel comfortable where they are, they know people, places and customs etc. There is no place like home!

Just a thought or two past the basic need for comfort:

Maybe the link that wizards experience to the Weave is all encompassing and by moving to another planet/plane then that link is gone. Sure they can still cast spells but it doesn't feel the same, or give the same thrill, or the same high. Maybe the Weave is like a (benevolent) drug that induces a buzz/high when wizards cast their spells? So they need the pleasure that the weave gives them?

re liches: maybe they are more reliant on the Weave than wizards as they have undergone a magical transformation into an undead spell caster. Perhaps the weave is actually what powers them and their unique abilities. We have seen from Ed lots of different lichnee with 'non-standard' lich abilities, so each of them has approached lichdom in a different way however, they are all anchored by the Weave during that transformation and I suspect they need to Weave to continue to exist.

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2012 :  11:20:36  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message
Not negative energy? That is what sustains them...

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2012 :  11:32:04  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:

Well, maybe at least some of the planets where there is no Art practicioners don't touch the weave or any magical source, and then maybe the lich could "unlive", but not keep their magical researches - the first basic reason for some wizards to choose this form of undeath. Even if they only want to be left alone, going on without magic after a lifetime of depending and relying on it (a lot, or else they wouldn't have attained the level necessary to turn into liches) would be very difficult indeed.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2012 :  12:38:34  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:

Hi Xar

Sorry I was not clearer on my original post. I am not saying that the undead don't need the negative plane/energy for their undeath abilities. I am merely postulating a theory that in the Realms liches are anchored by the Weave when they undergo their transformation from life to unlife and therefore cannot exist without it and that is the reason that they don't go to other less magically advanced worlds to become Masters of the Universe, errr to take over the world and do what they please

Cheers

Damian

Edit: of course it would be interesting to hear from THO and Ed on some on the hows and whys from the Realms home game.

Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO

Edited by - crazedventurers on 06 Jun 2012 12:39:48
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2012 :  13:25:59  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
I haven't asked questions of Ed for a while, and I've been doing some delving in ancient mouldy texts and came upon his old "Rogue Stones and Gemjumping" article in Dragon #116. One of my favourite, favourite articles for lots of reasons - not the least of which was the little realmslore vignettes Ed used to showcase the many and varied uses of this spell. A little bit of the lore showcased there has been taken up by other writers, but a few bits remain unexplained. Specifically, I was wondering if Ed could let us know a bit about the locations mentioned in the article, and not repeated anywhere else in the published Realms. I'm talking about Rallyhorn, Dulgund and Sulmarin. Anything to share?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2012 :  20:31:04  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Hello Ed and THO,

Ed, I enjoyed reading your latest Eye on the Realms article (The Thing in the Crypt) and have a few questions about the anonymous poem at the end of the article, from which the phrase “Kissing thy very dreams” is drawn:

1)Has this poem ever seen print? If yes, did it ever come with a title or more verses?
2)Have sages or any self-proclaimed poetry experts advanced names of the people they think might have written it?
3)The anonymous author…if he/she/it wrote anything else, can any of these works be found within the walls of Candlekeep?

The blurb about Shade at the end was pretty awesome too. I won't ask about it because I'm pretty sure the NDA covering it will strike me senseless before I can finish typing the question.

Thank you!

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2012 :  07:34:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

<snip> ...I was wondering if Ed could let us know a bit about the locations mentioned in the article, and not repeated anywhere else in the published Realms. I'm talking about Rallyhorn, Dulgund and Sulmarin. Anything to share?

-- George Krashos
Locations?

Oooooooooooohhhhhhhh... ME WANT!!!

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Jun 2012 07:35:29
Go to Top of Page

Lirdolin
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2012 :  19:45:54  Show Profile  Visit Lirdolin's Homepage Send Lirdolin a Private Message
Hello Ed and THO,
I just finished reading the Forgotten Realms #1 comic from IDW (great stuff :) ) and am wondering if Ed could tell us if Talandra Roaringhorn is identical to Talantress Roaringhorn from Eric's novel 'Downshadow'? They seem to be very similar. If not, could Ed place the time of the comic is set?
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2012 :  23:02:49  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
greetings!

i just have a small question, for the moment, based on answers from long ago.

is there any record of when Kaalinth fell? or when it was founded, for that matter?

reference: part of THO's response to an earlier question about Kaalinth says "my character heard this from a garrulous caravan merchant who had been liberally supplied with drink..."

my thought is that a caravan merchant remembering this bit of knowledge (especially when drunk) implies that it happened within relatively recent memory. or perhaps that particular merchant just has a head full of old knowledge... the far-traveled can hear a lot of stories.

and if it was long ago, and this merchant is particularly knowledgeable... does the merchant have a name?

oh, oh, oh... and which dragon was it that laired in the ruins? ugh, the questions, they keep coming to me.

thank you both!

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 09 Jun 2012 23:06:26
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2012 :  05:41:17  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
Dear Ed/THO,

What influences has Manshoon, in the past (prior to even 2e AD&D) had over the Cult of the Dragon? I'm always interested in the fella, and after re-reading his entry on page 25 of the DMs book in the OGB, it said that his rise to power had to do, in part, with his manipulations of the Cult...can you elaborate?

The particular text was:
quote:

Manshoon's own alliances with Dark Nagas, and his manipulations of the Cult of the Dragon, increased his influence and bought him the time necessary to build his personal mastery of the magical arts without allowing stronger rivals to assume control of the city until he was ready to take it.

Also, in another scroll, we were talking about Manshoon's Stasis Clone spell. It is a 9th level spell...how did Manshoon manage to pull it off at only 16th level?

Thanks ever so much!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 10 Jun 2012 05:45:06
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2012 :  10:47:23  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Dear Ed/THO,

What influences has Manshoon, in the past (prior to even 2e AD&D) had over the Cult of the Dragon?

Also, in another scroll, we were talking about Manshoon's Stasis Clone spell. It is a 9th level spell...how did Manshoon manage to pull it off at only 16th level?

To fix Manshoon's Level re stasis clone:

There was a nifty little table in the OGBS regarding NPC's, you rolled on it and it changed their level based on what your PC's assumed was correct in other words what they heard 'out of the mouth of bards'.

NPC Level Modification Table:
Die Roll Modification
01-10 Rumors overstate the importance
of the individual; is actually one level less than listed.
11-60 Stories are correct; individual is of listed level.
61-80 Stories are slightly dated; individual is of one level higher than listed.
81-95 Stories are badly dated; individual is of two levels higher than listed.
96-00 Stories are just outright wrong; individual is of 1-4 levels higher than listed.

Now the Cult question is a great one and would love to hear more.

I have one of the survivors of the Clones wars running the Cult. Sarukull LE H-elf Male Wiz 20(or so), he is a major protagonist in the ongoing campaign at the minute so if I get a chance I'll post him up.

Cheers

Damian
ps remember that the Manshoon we know about on Faerun is not actually the real one. He is hidden in his extra dimensional hidey hole, just watching all the fun. So he may have created a 16th level version of himself just because he could.

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2012 :  14:30:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

ps remember that the Manshoon we know about on Faerun is not actually the real one. He is hidden in his extra dimensional hidey hole, just watching all the fun. So he may have created a 16th level version of himself just because he could.

I personally think that rather than deliberately creating a weaker version, the 16th-level Manshoon was created by an earlier version of the stasis clone spell, and this earlier version is what resulted in a Manshoon of lesser power.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2012 :  15:08:36  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message
quote:

For this one, couldn't it have been a typo? Instead of 18, it says 16? Typos have been known to sneak through on even the wiliest of editors.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2012 :  16:06:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I'm inclined to agree with the "earlier version stasis clone spell" theory.

Mostly, because it's inline with what the Lady Hooded One has said before about Ed's detailing of Manshoon's specialised stasis clone spell, and the way in which the clones are "updated":-
quote:
With respect, folks, some of the discussion here is founded on incomplete understandings. The lower levels of various Manshoon clones aren't "mistakes." Manshoon's clones aren't created by the PHB clone spell, but rather by Manshoon's stasis clone spell (which has been detailed by Ed in 2nd Ed sources, and remember: FR lore isn't trumped by rules edition changes, so just because 3e and 3.5e have come along since then, it DOESN'T mean there isn't still a "stasis clone" spell used by Manshoon. Several scenes in Ed's novels detail the "awakening" of Manshoon's clones, which normally occurred only when the "previous" Manshoon died. The multiple clones, hidden all over the Realms (El has threatened Manshoon in published Realmslore that he knows where they all are), each have the levels, memories, etc. they had when created . . . so some of them are of FAR less power than 'more modern' Manshoons (so killing Manshoon DOES harm him). Manshoon adds new clones from time to time, but what happened with the Manshoon Wars was that all (or almost all) of the clones were awakened at once. Hence all the different levels, etc. To reiterate: there is no "transfer" of existing spells, memories, etc. to a newly awakened clone.
And yes, Manshoon IS the ultimate puppet master among non-liches and non-zulkirs, although there's something going on with Hesperdan that Ed hasn't revealed to us all, yet.
Not trying to rain on the parade here, just to correct things before too many assumptions in reasoning are made based on the wrong clone spell.
love,
THO

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2012 :  16:34:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
What if one of the drawbacks of the spell is that it makes perfect copies of the original, but when a copy tries to make a copy of itself, its loses a level or two? Some sort of 'soul degradation', or what-not (like when we used to make copies of copied video-tapes - a little quality was lost each time).

That means most of the more powerful clones were made by the original, but the lesser-clones could have been made by his copies at a latter date. He might be down to these 'secondary' clones.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2012 :  21:55:23  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
Well met.

I got a question about Avariel. How they were related to Aearee? Were they allied against dragons? Were they created (i.e. modified from usual elves) by the birdy Creator Race, or are its descendants?

Because in addition to "just how awesome would that be" this could explain a lot of odd details:
Avariel suffered great losses in "last stand" at Dracorage Mythal, but... why mostly them? They apparently weren't the single most numerous subrace already; the mythal itself is on the ground - air support is necessary, but dragons would need to get close and low. But if Avariel were allied with Aearee back when the dragons conquered the skies of Toril, all pieces suddenly fall into places: they would have both greatest interest (already had to hide from dragons) and ability (kept the old dragonslayer training running).
Also, if the dragons located that mythal, came in force to break it and... saw elite troops from the old war waiting for them? This would be... demoralizing.
After this battle, if there were surviving dragons, the first and by far most important detail to pass would be its location. But if not, why did dragons pick on Avariel more than others ever after?
Also, where that double culture feature comes from?..
...sorry for a long "mad visionary" rant.
quote:
Just from architecture alone, they must have advanced forms of Geometry...
Summoning and other magical diagrams, navigation (this includes marksheading).
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase
And considering the history of probability theory in our world, I'm guessing there's a Tymoran or two with at least a basic grasp of it.
And/or Wild Mages, if we'll go with less loonie original version (AD&D2 Tome of Magic).
Algebra probably exists only as much as wizards imported from Zakhara, though.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2012 :  00:01:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Ed has fallen silent this past weekend because he had three "rush creative jobs" hit at once, AND had family visiting. However, on my own I discovered a tiny bit more for Jeremy Grenemyer, regarding senior Highknights: in addition to the two I already mentioned, there were at least two more "top level veterans." One was code-named "Blackblade" and was an accomplished killer for the Crown, and the other was a high-ranking noble secretly working for the Crown.
More when I can worm more out of Ed.
love to all,
THO
P.S. I'm awaiting Ed answers to the recent raft of very good questions from scribes as impatiently as the rest of you. I'll be persuasive when I get through to Ed, I promise. He's just pounding away at the old keyboard right now, trying to get things done at both full quality and full speed...

Edited by - The Hooded One on 12 Jun 2012 00:08:29
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2012 :  00:18:52  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all. Ed has fallen silent this past weekend because he had three "rush creative jobs" hit at once, AND had family visiting. However, on my own I discovered a tiny bit more for Jeremy Grenemyer, regarding senior Highknights: in addition to the two I already mentioned, there were at least two more "top level veterans." One was code-named "Blackblade" and was an accomplished killer for the Crown, and the other was a high-ranking noble secretly working for the Crown.
More when I can worm more out of Ed.
love to all,
THO
P.S. I'm awaiting Ed answers to the recent raft of very good questions from scribes as impatiently as the rest of you. I'll be persuasive when I get through to Ed, I promise. He's just pounding away at the old keyboard right now, trying to get things done at both full quality and full speed...

Well, I can't speak for the others, and wouldn't if I could, but as far as I'm concerned, he can get to my question whenever he get's a chance. It's of low importance and all, and nothing to get excited over.

We choose to live a lie, when we see with, & not through the eye.

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2012 :  04:32:21  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Thank you THO!

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2012 :  00:09:44  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Hello All

I was browsing my copies of Polyhedron recently and the clack about Talagard's Turret (issue 77) piqued my interest.

Ed/THO do you have any more lore to share about the turret and whether an entrepreneurial type rebuilt it after it got destroyed by the eye tyrant?

Kind regards

Damian

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2012 :  01:14:24  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message
I, for one, would love to hear more of this "Blackblade." Is such a character outside the chain of command and answer directly to the crown? Tell me more, I beg of you.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 14 Jun 2012 01:16:29
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2012 :  04:52:40  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message
At the risk of running into some of Baker's old NDA's, I want to ask about the Moonsea, circa 1350s.

1) Could you talk a little about House Nanther?

2) Why did the Zhentarrim attack Hulburg in 1347? I do not feel like a reasonable explanation has ever been given for that.

I, myself, used it as set up for manipulating a pool of radiance there, twisting it into the pool of darkness that existed in that series. It was the "prototype" for Marcus creating that whole plot for Bane.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2012 :  07:37:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Ed, in Pages from the Mages, in the entry for The Glandar's Grimoire (pg.59), it states...
quote:
The Glandar was a mage-king of long ago, whose lands were somewhere near the Vilhon Reach. "The Glandar" is actually a title; his real name has been forgotten. <snip> His grimoire (so named because its first page bears only the inscription: The Grimoire Most Perilous of The Immortal Glandar, Lord of the Undying, Scepter of Glandara) was seized by his slayers, who battled each other for the spoils, wreaking much havoc in the fallen mage's realm of Glandara.

Where was Glandara? (and anything else about him you'd care to share)

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Jun 2012 07:41:27
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2012 :  20:54:51  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,
I was reading through the Neverwinter Campaign Guide and it had a section on Dire Corbies. They've always been portrayed as savages in the few novels I've seen them in. I've got this itch to create a bit more about these creatures...mostly after thinking about the movie The Dark Crystal and thinking it would be cool to see something like that in the Realms. But the question I had, are there any civilizations of Dire Corbies in the Realms aside from primitive tribes? Are there any lore snippets you can share about them?

One other quick question. There's a passage in RA Salvatore's novel Exile where Belwar asks Drizzt if the Dire Corbies are relatives of Drizzt as they looked like a cross between a dark elf and bird. Corbies are also listed in other sources as being flightless birds, but once possessed the ability. Were Dire Corbies created by dark elves being melded with Aarakocra long ago? I remember reading a short story, set prior to the Crown Wars where a wizard of great power named Ka'Narlist was known to alter and create new creatures. Could these have been his winged dark elven "nightflyers" he envisioned? And with the Descent of the Drow their flying slaves were brought into the Underdark and eventually lost their wings? Alot of speculation here, but wanted to see if you could shed any light on this.

Thank you. :)

Edited by - Eilserus on 14 Jun 2012 22:13:05
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000