Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2012)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

admcewen
Acolyte

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2012 :  10:31:58  Show Profile  Visit admcewen's Homepage Send admcewen a Private Message
Hi Ed/Tho, greetings from the UK this is the first time I’ve posted on your thread and I hope you can help me with some lore regarding the Moon Elven house of Amarillis. Over our groups many forays into the Realms there has always been one of us whose character hailed from this house and we wish to learn more of them if possible. To start is the clan still around in the present realms and if so now Evermeet has gone to the feywild do they have a house located elsewhere on the mainland and being so mercurial are they still leaderless?
Another question is how would this clan react to half elves in the bloodline as one of us wishes to break with tradition slightly and play one hoping to bear the green dolphin, would the clan have no concerns in this matter being both moon elves and a rather chaotic clan or by being a noble house reject a half elf out of hand? These and any other titbits of lore regarding this chaotic but popular (at least to our group) red headed clan bearing the green dolphin would be most welcome. Thanks Ed.
Yours Ad.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2012 :  14:43:12  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus
(...)I remember reading a short story, set prior to the Crown Wars where a wizard of great power named Ka'Narlist was known to alter and create new creatures. Could these have been his winged dark elven "nightflyers" he envisioned? And with the Descent of the Drow their flying slaves were brought into the Underdark and eventually lost their wings? (...)

I'm not Ed, but I can help you about this. Ka'Narlist was the ruler of an ancient (pre-Sundering and pre-Crown Wars) dark elven city. He really dabbled in creation and alteration of creatures, and got curious when Sharlario Moonflower, who has come from Faerie to Toril in teh wave of Sun and Moon elf immigrants after the fall of Tintageer, mentioned about the existence of the avariel. The evil mage then wanted to capture the winged elves and create his own race of winged dark elves (he would call those winged dark elves "his nightflyers"). This story is in the novel Evermeet: Island of Elves, by Elaine Cunningham. However, it seems Ka'narlist never found the avariel, and so couldn't accomplish what he envisioned.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2012 :  16:37:29  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Yep, I have the novel too. So if he couldn't find the avariel, what if he used aAarakocra? That's what I'm curious about, is if there is a drow connection and they were created by dark elves. Pure speculation of course, as I'm piecing bits together from a couple different books. Be curious to know. :)

quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

quote:
(...)I remember reading a short story, set prior to the Crown Wars where a wizard of great power named Ka'Narlist was known to alter and create new creatures. Could these have been his winged dark elven "nightflyers" he envisioned? And with the Descent of the Drow their flying slaves were brought into the Underdark and eventually lost their wings? (...)

I'm not Ed, but I can help you about this. Ka'Narlist was the ruler of an ancient (pre-Sundering and pre-Crown Wars) dark elven city. He really dabbled in creation and alteration of creatures, and got curious when Sharlario Moonflower, who has come from Faerie to Toril in teh wave of Sun and Moon elf immigrants after the fall of Tintageer, mentioned about the existence of the avariel. The evil mage then wanted to capture the winged elves and create his own race of winged dark elves (he would call those winged dark elves "his nightflyers"). This story is in the novel Evermeet: Island of Elves, by Elaine Cunningham. However, it seems Ka'narlist never found the avariel, and so couldn't accomplish what he envisioned.

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2012 :  17:40:47  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:

Yep, I have the novel too. So if he couldn't find the avariel, what if he used Aarakocra? That's what I'm curious about, is if there is a drow connection and they were created by dark elves. Pure speculation of course, as I'm piecing bits together from a couple different books. Be curious to know. :)

That's something Ka'Narlist would probably do, although maybe it would be harder to make something more elven and less bird-like. Anyway, let's wait and see what Ed can tell us about this.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2012 :  17:56:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Yep, I have the novel too. So if he couldn't find the avariel, what if he used aAarakocra? That's what I'm curious about, is if there is a drow connection and they were created by dark elves. Pure speculation of course, as I'm piecing bits together from a couple different books. Be curious to know. :)

Aaracokra have been around for longer than drow, I think.

Other than sahaugin (and that's not definite), the only races I know of that drow have created are those that are in some way kin to spiders.

Me, if I wanted to create flying drow, based on avariel, I'd cross drow with bats. But a flying drow would require a large wingspan, and the Underdark isn't the best place for that...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2012 :  18:24:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Good to use in a "land under Shadow" scenario (you know - where some giant earthmote or city/whatever hovers in one spot, so that the ground beneath is in perpetual shadow). I remember some setting had a region like that, but I can't recall (it was a LONG time ago). I thought it was Elfquest, but I checked the maps and don't see it. The world I am thinking of had a huge ring (akin to Sigil) hovering in one spot, so that there was a ring of shadow always below it.

Anyhow, something like that could work. In fact, Aerodrow could even live on the underside of such a massive earthmote (far from Faerûn-proper... or maybe over the Shar somewhere...)

NEW QUESTION: I did a quick search and couldn't find any info on this - the Bridge that crosses the Immerflow right after the High Road and Immer Trail meet (next to the Hullack Forest) is called the Masoner's Bridge, correct? Is that a small islet I see beneath it? (this on the maps from the Cormyr supplement).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 15 Jun 2012 18:28:35
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2012 :  18:39:27  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
(...)
(...)
Me, if I wanted to create flying drow, based on avariel, I'd cross drow with bats. But a flying drow would require a large wingspan, and the Underdark isn't the best place for that...
(...)

Eilserus is not talking about drow creating the aarakocra, but of drow using aarakocra to create a flying drow race (maybe lost to history, maybe degenerated into Dire Corbies).
In Mrs. Cunningham's novel Ka'Narlist made lots of experiments mixing creatures, and wanted to use the original avariel as a model to make his dark elven "night flyers" (maybe because their body structure would be closer to dark elves, and so muscles and wings would be easier to insert). Back then, before the Crown Wars and the Sundering, they were still surface dwellers.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 15 Jun 2012 20:35:45
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2012 :  23:50:10  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

quote:
(...)I remember reading a short story, set prior to the Crown Wars where a wizard of great power named Ka'Narlist was known to alter and create new creatures.
[..] This story is in the novel Evermeet: Island of Elves, by Elaine Cunningham.

Well... You know the drill, right?
quote:

Other than sahaugin (and that's not definite)
You're about the wemic's tale? It's an understatement... not only was it introduced as folklore in the first place, but looks suspiciously like Akhlaur's story mixed with at least two more. Ghaunadaur was a dead giveaway, methinks. So perhaps we shouldn't take this pin out of Sekolah's fin just yet.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2012 :  02:10:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Other than sahaugin (and that's not definite), the only races I know of that drow have created are those that are in some way kin to spiders.

Of course, the idea of having flying drow who can't use their wings to full advantage beneath the surface offers some new and intriguing alternatives for gameplay. Aside from that, though, I like the idea of crossing drow with bats to produce flying drow.

The other alternative for me, at least, would be to cross drow with cloakers. Maybe as a result of accidental fallout from a disrupted Conclave of Shadows, perhaps, which also sees unsuspecting drow intruders/slaves merging into the shadowstuff produced by the effect. When the cloakers disengage from the merger... their minds and bodies are soon discovered to have also been merged with that of the drow intruders.

And as I foresee this side-topic taking on a significant life of it's own, I suggest the next scribe interested in tackling this subject, open a new scroll scroll on the General shelf.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2012 :  15:45:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Considering the timeline, if Ka'narlist had been responsible, they would have been Dark (green) Elves. Since the Avariel were on Toril before the arrival of the Eladrin (Gold/Silver), then the Avariel must be a split-off from sylvan Elves, NOT Eladrin, which means why would there be any difference between flying dark elves and regular Avariel?

Only two things I can think of -

1) Most obvious - Ka'Narlist did not create them; they were fashioned post-descent.

2) They were still Ilythiiri Elves, and the curse affected them regardless (which sucks, but the Seldarine are all jerks anyway).

Also, if I were to create a bat-winged Drow, I wouldn't start with Araakokra. I'd be looking at the Demonfey - its more appropriate (Drow are known to crossbreed with demons). Gargoyle would be an interesting choice as well (or those FR dudes that look like gargoyles... what were they... Kir-Lanan?)

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Jun 2012 15:45:38
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2012 :  22:52:42  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all!
Some vintage Realmslore from Ed, in response to this June 6th (heh; this year, scribes!) query from George Krashos: “I haven't asked questions of Ed for a while, and I've been doing some delving in ancient mouldy texts and came upon his old "Rogue Stones and Gemjumping" article in Dragon #116. One of my favourite, favourite articles for lots of reasons - not the least of which was the little realmslore vignettes Ed used to showcase the many and varied uses of this spell. A little bit of the lore showcased there has been taken up by other writers, but a few bits remain unexplained. Specifically, I was wondering if Ed could let us know a bit about the locations mentioned in the article, and not repeated anywhere else in the published Realms. I'm talking about Rallyhorn, Dulgund and Sulmarin. Anything to share?”
Ed replies:

Hi, George! I am busier than busy right now, hence my delay in replying (for which I must apologize), but this is lore I really should have shared with the wider world LONG ago, so here we go . . .

RALLYHORN
This hamlet “just grew” around the base of Rallyhorn Castle, the ancestral castle of the old Cormyrean noble family of Rallyhorn. That fortress stands atop the tor known as Rallyhorn Ho, overlooking Hultail (“the Ho” is southeast of built-up Hultail). When Rallyhorn was renamed Hultail in 98 DR, as the first formal Cormyrean “naming laws” were drafted (as opposed to the earlier practice of altering names when royal displeasure was expressed), “Rallyhorn” became just the oldest neighborhood in Hultail (a handful of streets immediately around Rallyhorn Foregate, the steep street connecting the castle gates with the former grazing meadows below (now built up, covered with the buildings of Hultail).
Lord Theldrin Rallyhorn, the builder of Rallyhorn Castle, was Steward of the Court in Cormyr, a fabulously wealthy and able courtier whom the wizard Baerauble once described as “the right hand of the throne.” Lord Theldrin assisted the kings Daravvan, Dorglor, Embrold, and Irbruin. The Rallyhorns have never been quite as powerful since Lord Theldrin’s passing, but are very much still around—and respected—in the Forest Kingdom. Rallyhorn Castle remains their country seat, though most Rallyhorns are resident in Suzail, much of the time, and use the Castle only as a summer gathering-place and a waystop on hunting trips and other travel into the eastern reaches of the Realm.
The neighborhood of Rallyhorn was once the noisome site of two rival tanneries and their attendant sheds and workers’ huts, but as the Hullack Forest was pushed back leaving the tanneries farther and farther from the source of wild hides (being as livestock hides can be processed almost anywhere), the tanneries relocated eastwards up the Wyvernwater, leaving Rallyhorn to be what it is today: a poor neighborhood where weavers and garment-makers and dyers dwell and work, at the foot of the tor still crowned by Rallyhorn Castle.

DULGUND
Named for the dwarf who first began mining here (circa 1108 DR), Dulgund Greatanvil, this small, spartan stone settlement was once an important Sword Coast island port because of its rich iron mines (very pure veins of iron ore, easily accessed through mountainside caverns that had formerly been dragon lairs).
Dulgund stood on the east or landward side of the mountains that covered (or comprised, if one prefers) all of the isle of Drelvros, around the seabird-haunted, rocky island’s sole small inlet (natural harbor). Drelvros was a legendarily fearless seacaptain who perished (with his ship, and all hands on it) somewhere near the island when he sailed onto jagged rocks during a blinding storm in 994 DR.
One of The Nelanther or “Pirate Isles,” Drelvros is less about the shape of a cashew nut (“krail” nuts in the Realms, BTW), with the long curving back being its west side. Less than a mile long and about a third of that wide at its widest point, it is essentially, these days, a bare rock outcrop, though one freshwater creek spills down out of its interior on the northern landward side, and supports a handful of windswept trees and shrubs. Drelvros can be found north and west of the Sea Tower of Irphong (it’s the next island out from where the Sea Tower stands).
Dulgund was largely washed away in a terrific storm early in the winter of 1163 DR, that also flooded the iron workings (and drowned Dulgund Greatanvil and his fellow delvers, who by that time had dug down into the Underdark, and were beset by its fiercer inhabitants and battling daily to retain possession of their tunnels). Attempts to refound the mines failed in the face of the seawater that has claimed the mines seemingly forever—and the return of young but vicious dragons, who come seeking suitable lairs, and try to use the mountain caverns. They seldom stay throughout a winter, but every spring brings new lair seekers. The roofless stone ruins of Dulgund’s few huts have served many pirates as a temporary encampment, and there are the inevitable rumors of pirate treasure being hidden here or there on Drelvros or under Dulgund, but these days, Drelvros is uninhabited and little visited.

SULMARIN
This former trading-port on The Shining Sea was long ago swallowed by the ever-expanding port city of Sheirtalar. “Sulmarin” is now the name of a slum in Sheirtalar, where the wharves rot and sag into the water, and the poorest fisherfolk and smugglers eke out rather perilous livings rowing and drifting their boats in and out during the dawn mists and the hours of darkness, importing and exporting kidnap victims, wines and jewels and other small, portable cargoes that wealthier Sheirtalans desire to avoid paying taxes on, and ostensibly eel-fishing in the muddy coastal shallows south of the port.
Sulmarin was formerly more prosperous, and the home of skilled gemcutters and finemetal casters who made many palm-sized filigreed candle-lamps, cane “skorbels” (cap-knobs), metal “feet” for wooden furniture of all sorts (in the South, most stools, benches, tables, and anything else that has legs has the lower legs shod in decorative leggings fused with feet, to guard against the feet rotting due to damp or the boring tsarngel worm), notably the families of Arlyng and Elkazhad (gems) and Brorlythynd, Calchauncz, and Yurzrel (castings).
Today, the fell necromancer Ieirith (“EAR-rith”) Sprydurszace (“Spry-DUR-say-ss”), better known as “Spiderface,” dwells in Sulmarin, and rules it through fear. He has devised a method of mating crawling claws and some spiders with undead human eyeballs he can use spells to see out of, from afar, and has more formidable servants, both undead and living, to enforce his will. Spiderface wants to be left alone to experiment, and to be able to reach out at will into the wider Realms for supplies he needs for his necromantic experimentations, and won’t trouble anyone who doesn’t intrude into Sulmarin or hamper his dark existence. He’s known to be fond of the sticky, opaque, salty black local wine known as “klelthlor”—and human flesh.

I have a little more on Sulmarin, but have to navigate around an existing NDA and err on the side of caution, so I hope what's here is of help.
Now, I'm back to - - well, no, I can't say anything about THAT, either. :}

So saith Ed, who isn't just snowed under with work right now, he's BLIZZARDED under. Yet promises to get to all of the great recent queries when he can, so keep them coming!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2012 :  03:39:01  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
sweet! thank you THO and Ed, and thanks for asking, George.

would the "Dungeons of Torment" mentioned in that rogue stones article be in the flooded tunnels under Dulgund, or in an area accessible through dry tunnels, or elsewhere like a demiplane or something?

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

He has devised a method of mating crawling claws and some spiders with undead human eyeballs...

do these critters have names that can be shared yet?

somehow i imagine bards nicknaming the spider "hairy eyeball" and... i got nothin on the other one. wait, i lied: seeing eye hand. no, everblinking hand. 'cuz it's on the ground and always has dust in its eye... ugh. i wouldn't quit my day job, if i had one.

they're brilliant critters... just wondering what to call them.

(edited for additional questions)

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 17 Jun 2012 05:51:56
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2012 :  13:46:16  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all!
Some vintage Realmslore from Ed, in response to this June 6th (heh; this year, scribes!) query from George Krashos: “I haven't asked questions of Ed for a while, and I've been doing some delving in ancient mouldy texts and came upon his old "Rogue Stones and Gemjumping" article in Dragon #116.

Just magnificent, many thanks to George for asking and to Ed for providing such brilliant lore.

Ed a couple of follow up questions if I may?
You mentioned that Rallyhorn was renamed as Hultail, may I ask why? Hultail sounds like a given name, so was it renamed to honour someone who had served the king loyally? (similar to how Dhedluk was renamed?) or because the crown wanted to put a stop to nobles naming towns and cities after themselves?

You also mentioned formal 'naming laws'. So did the Crown at the time go through most/all/a few settlements and rename them so they became official rather than the 3 or 4 or more names that the locals called the hamlet/village/town that they live in adding to confusion for people who were not local?

One final question about the Rallyhorns. Were they there with the Obarskyrs and Silver families when Cormyr came into being? The date is very early in human led Cormyr history or are the Rallyhorns an early example of the Kings of Cormyr saying,"Well done, be ennobled, and now go and build a keep on the borderlands of the Kingdom and keep the peace". I ask this because it is only 92 years since the ascension of Faerlthann First-King and it would seem that the site chosen by Theldrin is far from the capital?

Kind regards

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 17 Jun 2012 13:49:36
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2012 :  15:38:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Great lore! Thank you Ed & THO.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2012 :  17:33:39  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, everybody.
I'm going to have a stab at answering Damian's followup questions myself. Here we go..
"Ed a couple of follow up questions if I may?
You mentioned that Rallyhorn was renamed as Hultail, may I ask why? Hultail sounds like a given name, so was it renamed to honour someone who had served the king loyally? (similar to how Dhedluk was renamed?) Or because the crown wanted to put a stop to nobles naming towns and cities after themselves?"
A bit of both, I think. I know Hultail was named after a family of fisherfolk and netmakers resident in the area who did "good service" to the Crown, and were rewarded. Presumably a land grand went with the name. Hultail was actually a separate settlement (coastal fishing hamlet on the Wyvernwater) that grew to meet Rallyhorn.

"You also mentioned formal 'naming laws'. So did the Crown at the time go through most/all/a few settlements and rename them so they became official rather than the 3 or 4 or more names that the locals called the hamlet/village/town that they live in adding to confusion for people who were not local?"
I know there will be more about these naming laws in a forthcoming Realms product, because Ed has told me there's a recent NDA here. He also selected "a few" from your choices, and corroborated the reason (cut down on confusion not just for visitors, but for other Cormyreans - - the problem being many, many name duplications for widely separated places; for instance, at one time Suzail, Marsember, and Arabel ALL had a neighborhood known as "King's Barracks").

"One final question about the Rallyhorns. Were they there with the Obarskyrs and Silver families when Cormyr came into being? The date is very early in human led Cormyr history or are the Rallyhorns an early example of the Kings of Cormyr saying,"Well done, be ennobled, and now go and build a keep on the borderlands of the Kingdom and keep the peace". I ask this because it is only 92 years since the ascension of Faerlthann First-King and it would seem that the site chosen by Theldrin is far from the capital?"
Yes, the Rallyhorns were there at the beginnings of human Cormyr.
The early nobles were certainly encouraged to settle, govern, and "improve" (roads, bridges, permanent farming population, founding local industries) frontier lands to extend and strengthen the kingdom, and the early kings (aided by Baerauble) "sold" it to any reluctant nobility as the chance to make themselves really rich by arranging everything in "their lands" in their own favor. As this was really, demonstrably true, it worked!

love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 17 Jun 2012 17:34:26
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2012 :  17:44:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
. . . and now I have an e-mail reply back from Ed and can answer xaeyruudh's questions, too!
Here we go...
"sweet! thank you THO and Ed, and thanks for asking, George.
Would the "Dungeons of Torment" mentioned in that rogue stones article be in the flooded tunnels under Dulgund, or in an area accessible through dry tunnels, or elsewhere like a demiplane or something?"

Ed saith:

The Dungeons of Torment are in a failed, dry mine working elsewhere on the same isle, where a dwarf working with Dulgund thought a vein of iron ore SHOULD be accessible (from his experience of how such veins are usually located within bedrock), but in this case was mistaken: no vein was found, despite energetic delving, and the diggings were eventually abandoned. A gate/portal was created (by an unknown spellcaster) in these workings, leading to subterranean tunnels somewhere under mainland Faerûn, so the main part of the Dungeons of Torment isn't on Drelvros (which is known to some pirates today as "Dragonpeak Rock," BTW).

"[He has devised a method of mating crawling claws and some spiders with undead human eyeballs...]
Do these critters have names that can be shared yet?"

No. Not yet. Ed can't yet say. He did add: "Sorry." (Which of course hints at future publication.) "Scuttling Eyes" is what some NPCs called them when we Knights encountered them, but I'm not sure if that's the official name, or local slang.

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2012 :  20:03:03  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, everybody.
I'm going to have a stab at answering Damian's followup questions myself. Here we go..
love,
THO

Good Lady, many thanks for the quick reply. The Hultail 'renaming mystery' makes sense now as it was two villages growing into each other.

Really appreciate the answers and have updated the Cormyr thread

Best to all

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2012 :  21:46:24  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
That Rallyhorn reply reminded me of a Cormyr question for you both:
Are there any non-noble families who have been courtiers (or frequently had jobs at Court or in the Royal Palace) in the Forest Kingdom from its earliest human days down to now? (And if so, could we have some surnames please? :} )
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2012 :  21:51:00  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Great question!
I'd like to extend it:
Ed or THO, are there any "professional courtier" families who have held government official jobs in more than one country/city-state at a time?
E.g. Cormyr and Amn, or Cormyr and Sembia, or Waterdeep and Silverymoon, or - -?
If so, names? And if so, do they ever serve as "backdoor diplomacy" routes, acting as secret but okay with the rulers/higher-ups go-betweens, or illicitly share state information?
It's obviously great for an intrigue campaign if such families exist, and of course I can invent one for my campaign, but it'd be far cooler if there are official ones!
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2012 :  00:14:20  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Seconding Blueblade's and Malcolm's questions.

Ed, if your mind's eye turns towards families who train hunting dogs and later became courtiers who handled or dealt with Royal hunting dogs (if such courtiers exist) and/or worked for noble families, all the better.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2012 :  00:27:04  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
As the "Father" of the Forgotten Realms (rather young to be siring at 6 though young man!)...Happy Father's Day Ed!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2012 :  01:51:15  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

As the "Father" of the Forgotten Realms (rather young to be siring at 6 though young man!)...Happy Father's Day Ed!

I second that!

And many thanks for all this lore! I think I'm still puzzled about one detail... in the rogue stones article, Glemmora of Rallyhorn is confined in the Dungeons of Torment by King Urgiathus of Dulgund. If Rallyhorn and Hultail were officially merged in 98 DR, and Dulgund wasn't founded until circa 1108... surely there wasn't enough of Rallyhorn left by Urgiathus' time for Glemmora to be "of" it? (rather than "of Hultail", or "of Cormyr" for that matter, yea, why wasn't she of Cormyr) ...unless she was of Rallyhorn blood, more than simply Rallyhorn geography? ...or at least maybe her family lived in Rallyhorn Castle, as servants or friends or such? Also, approximately where would the mainland portion of the Dungeons of Torment be? And just what sort of torment are we talking about? Spankings?

I'm missing something. Probably one of those "can't find the pencil cuz it's on my ear" moments. Many thanks for your patience!

And good luck with your bonafide work, in-between all our insistent queries.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2012 :  03:50:20  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Ed says thanks for the Fathers Day good wishes.
xaeyruudh, I passed your questions on to him, and he said:

You're quite right that Rallyhorn as a community was long gone (except to locals in Hultail) by the time Glemmora was imprisoned. (Note how overblown the title of "King of Dulgund" was, too.)
Glemmora was "of" Rallyhorn because she and family not only lived in Rallyhorn Castle, as senior retainers (for generations) to the Rallyhorns AND as part of the Rallyhorn travelling household (retainers who travel with the families they serve are said to be "of" their families, thus: "of Rallyhorn." As for where the mainland portion of the Dungeons of Torment was: NDA. As for the sort of torment: mind reamings to find out all manner of secrets, that leave most prisoners insane. (Secrets learned are then used for all manner of crimes.) As for spankings, talk to THO . . .

Ahem. Spankings. Yes, hmmm lah dee dee dah...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2012 :  04:37:21  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Awesome, as always. Thank you!

So the family has completely dropped any once-known surname, and all just use "of Rallyhorn" ...what a humble bunch. The imaginary lord in my subconscious finds this practice gratifying (but dangerous) but the genealogist finds it wholly irksome.

quote:

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2012 :  13:31:08  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
A big thank-you Ed. Given how well these little lore snippets have been received perhaps we can dig up a few more. How about seeing what you can give us on these long-ago realmslore mentions:

- the reference to the "Battle of the Drowning of Lornak" in Runestones in Dragon #69:

- the reference to the "sack of Aumreayum" in the write-up of Adjatha in Seven Swords in Dragon #74;

- the reference to Kumur the Skeptic, First Speaker of Evernoster in the write-up of Namara in Seven Swords in Dragon #74. Where is Evernoster?

- the reference to the Testing (and yes, it has a capital "T" ... why?) of the "witch" incantatrix Alaertha by the Council of the Mighty in long-ago Guldethym in Dragon #90;

- the reference to the adventurer Ironbars of Elcathra in the Ecology of the Leucrotta in Dragon# 91 - where is Elcathra?;

- the reference to "the Artel - a tyrant who then ruled northern Amn" in Open Them, If You Dare in Dragon #106;

- the reference to the now-vanished realm of Nuvorene in the Ecology of the Rot Grub in Dragon #122;

- any more lore on Evermagics that were "old when Netheril was young" from Elminster's Notebook: Aldreth Fireshar in Dragon #213;

That'll do for starters! And I don't expect quite as swift a response this time ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2012 :  20:07:02  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
Ed says ... As for spankings, talk to THO . . .

love,
THO

Ooh, a spanking, a spanking!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtcSYPjJbgg

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2012 :  23:08:19  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
George, I can add attempt just a few snippets or replies re. your lore queries, by drawing on my notes of Realmsplay and what Ed has said when I was quizzing him, over the years:

"the reference to the Testing (and yes, it has a capital "T" ... why?) of the "witch" incantatrix Alaertha by the Council of the Mighty in long-ago Guldethym in Dragon #90"

These 'Testings' were quasi-trials, in which the Council used spells in interrogations to make sure the person they were Testing wasn't under the magical/psionic mental influence of an unseen third party.

"the reference to the adventurer Ironbars of Elcathra in the Ecology of the Leucrotta in Dragon# 91 - where is Elcathra?"

Elcathra was a ship that sailed the Sword Coast, owned by merchants of Tharsult who declared it to be a realm in its own right (that is, a floating, mobile kingdom). This was, of course, scorned by all coastal rulers, as it was seen as an attempt to declare the laws of the ship paramount over the laws of whatever harbour it was docked in (and the ship did seem pretty lawless, if not an outright pirate vessel)...and the whole dispute was rendered moot when the ship and all aboard were blown to sky-high smithereens by spells hurled in 1379 DR, not far off Mintarn. Who hurled that magic, and why, remains a mystery.

"the reference to "the Artel - a tyrant who then ruled northern Amn" in Open Them, If You Dare in Dragon #106"

By "northern Amn," Ed here means the mountains that define the northern borders of Amn, and the foothills between them and just south of them within Amn, where outlaws have long lurked and the rule of Amn has long been ignored or tested (Ed's long-running convention adventures featuring the Baron's Blades, of the Barony of Hawkhill in northeasternmost Amn, represent the enforcement arm of one of the rulers installed to tame these wild backland "high country" ranches and farms.
I don't have anything in my notes on the Artel, but there was a recurring stream of outlaw leaders, petty tyrants, and more powerful tyrants who held sway over these areas whenever Amn's back was turned, so to speak. The Artel would be a "more powerful tyrant."

There. So saith Ed, really, because I'm either quoting him or paraphrasing him here.
He's still tearingly busy at the moment, but will reply himself when he can.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2012 :  03:35:45  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message
Lady Herold, when that Master of a yarn, who goes by the Name Greenwood is free please inform him: I am currently listening to a work of his entitled Spellfire, slowly and patiently scanning it in a page at a time, as the printed word is something those of us with the characteristics a kin to moles, find as precious as a dragon treasure, I have finally gotten to a description of Shadow Dale, and it is a most lovely place; most so in it’s vegetation.

Please do inform him that I do find the place most delightful as he slowly describes it, and is it forms in what passes for my mmind’s eye. Thanks so much for passing along the information, most respectfully, Sightless.

We choose to live a lie, when we see with, & not through the eye.

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2012 :  08:25:33  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message
As Ed is busy, I have a question for you THO
I don't know if it has already been asked to you, but did the Knights ever go to the jungles of Chult ?
Or in Amn ?

Did the Knights ever experienced SPELLJAMMING or see a space ship ?

Simple curiosity.

Edited by - Marco Volo on 19 Jun 2012 10:26:30
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2012 :  12:30:08  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
Dear THO,

I've just remembered about this passage in the 2e FR boxed set, and wondered if something else was revealed/ published about the incident after that:

"A hunting expedition has returned empty-handed to Arrabar from the Chondalwood, bursting with tales about a huge, twoheaded, gray dragon-thing. Mages who were hired by the expedition's sponsors to magically interrogate the hunters affirm that the hunters believe they saw what they're describing: a winged, reptilian monster as long as five ships that had a stabbing bone sting in its tail and glided in from distant mountains to snatch up the hunters' cages, rend their steel bars like so much dry kindling, and totally devour all the captured animals.
Sages consulted in Arrabar have found no records of such a creature in the lore books of Chondath, and no one has yet been able to identify the monster as any one of the known dragon species."

Can you or Ed please shed some light over it?

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page